User Reviews for Alprazolam (Page 5)

Also known as: Xanax, Xanax XR, Alprazolam Intensol

Alprazolam has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 1,287 ratings on Drugs.com. 85% of those users who reviewed Alprazolam reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
Borderline Personality Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 8.7 1,287 reviews

Reviews for Alprazolam

desert1 May 26, 2020

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Started Xanax XR 1mg about 10 years ago. I took it on and off for GAD. Then increased to 1mg plus 0.5mg if needed. Due to extended release my Dr kept telling me that it is not an addictive drug. Rubbish. Also tapering off is a problem because you can only do 0.5 mg at a time. So now after cancer and death in the family I had to stay on it for anxiety. New doctor (Psych) after 10 plus years. First word out of his mouth: I don't like prescribing Xanax XR that much. Great. Plus appointment are with telemedicine which stinks. The drug works but definitely dependence and tolerance. Any feedback would be nice”

Anonymous April 7, 2009

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Xanax has probably helped keep me alive and breathing over the last two years. The toll of being a military wife, mom, full-time worker, etc. had me so stressed out that I began to procrastinate on EVERYTHING because I couldn't emotionally handle things like paying bills, running errands, etc. I only take 0.5mg of Xanax as needed, but just knowing it's in my purse helps me keep my busy life moving ahead. Combined with Zoloft for depression and Ambien for insomnia, I finally feel like a normal person. I feel sorry for the woman I used to be, but I'm so happy to be myself now.”

June22 January 1, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I've had severe anxiety all of my life manifesting in different forms. I take Pristiq which works well for my generalized anxiety. I have horrible situational anxiety that make me sweat feverishly and it's so embarrassing. Xanax is a miracle for this. If I have an event going on that I know is going to take my anxiety over the edge I can take Xanax and it makes me totally comfortable and not sweat uncontrollably like I'm in a sauna. I don't take everyday. 1mg maybe 4x a week if needed. Its a shame how people can abuse this drug ( I don't get how) and promote it in rap music which gives it a terrible reputation. This ruins it for people who need it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 15, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Xanax is by far the best anti anxiety medication on the market. I take it as needed and it works within minutes. I can't stand doctors who talk bad about the medication and how addictive it can be. People will aduse anything and every thing. Xanax is amazing and I take it as needed, not like an addict would.”

mr l May 1, 2014

For Tinnitus: “I was dignosed 2 years ago with hearing loss related tinnitus. The hissing was so loud I could not sleep. I tried masking devices, supplements, etc and nothing worked. My doctor prescribed Xanax to relax me enough to get some rest at night. After 2 nights, the hissing subsided during the day. Now some days I have little or no head noise. I continue to take Xanax with no side effects except being a little tired in the afternoon. Please try this medicine if your tinnitus is interfering with your life. Talk to your doctor about dosage.”

Jason h July 25, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “It’s really hard to rate this medication because there are two sides to it, short term and long term. Short term ( 20 minutes- 4 hours) it can feel like a life saver. It will calm you down, and if needed let the pill dissolve under your tongue (sublingually) for faster results. I. This case it gets a 10/10. You should not take this medication long term (3 months max) or overuse Xanax or any benzodiazepine. You will become dependent, you will become tolerated and getting off of this medication usually requires a medical detox because of the potential of death, definitely extreme discomfort and anxiety levels off the charts. It gets a 0/10 on that side. Taking too much or drinking on Xanax is potentially fatal . Also taking it long term effects both long and short term memory severely. I recommend you take this review seriously as I have been through all of this minus death and I don’t wish my experience on anybody.”

StudentBVU · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I am about to turn 50 and my life of anxiety has been a recent and unpleasant downward spiral. I ended up in the emergency room twice with soaring blood pressure, flushing and heart palpitations plus overwhelming feelings of panic. I live daily with either anxiety or small panic attacks, they are debilitating and have affected my ability to continue work on my degree. After my last ER visit a doc felt I was having panic attacks and directed me to seek help at a Mental Health Clinic. I've tried several anti-depressants and I have not tolerated them well. Xanax (0.5 mg) has gotten me through many a day and night and I prefer this medication over all the others. It decreases the anxiety very quickly and helps to maintain a sense of normality.”

Cal~ · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 25, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I have to start by saying that I'm fearful of medications for starters, secondly I have dealt with anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia for many years now! I'm not housebound but do have a small neighborhood radius of "comfort". I have in the past felt shamed of my condition as I thought I was unique and alone and somewhat embarrassed to try to explain my irrational feelings and thoughts, which I have learned since that they are entirely "made up" and thoughts lead to feelings that lead to behaviors all of which can be undone with the help of medicine, therapy, relaxation techniques, journaling, diet, exercise and not being afraid to open up about your anxiety. You are NOT alone! Learn to RELAX it WORKS.”

sunny002 March 28, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “I have been taking 0.5mg, 1 at night for 8 yrs. I get 30 for a months supply. It has been a miracle for me & my depression. I have tried all antidepressants which only make me feel worse & even suicidal. Xanax is a life saver for me. My doctor now wants me to start again with a antidepressant. I will not I think he wants to wean me off Xanax because of all the negative addictive effects. ”

sopranofan · Taken for 10 years or more February 17, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I've been on a variety of different benzodiazipines for about 16 years now for anxiety, Agorphobia and even insomnia and I have to say Xanax is by far the most effective. I've been on Valium, Klonopin, Ativan and even SSRI'S and none helped me the way Xanax did. Ativan did absolutely nothing, Valium was "decent"(I'd give it a 5) because of its long acting qualities and Klonopin made me tired all the time. Only with Xanax can I lead a normal, productive life. Without that medicine I would not be able to hang out with friends, go to the grocery store, go to the mailbox, associate with my family ...these are all triggers of my anxiety. Even answering the phone! I've taken 2mgs two times daily now for the past 7 years and it works great!”

Lisetta July 4, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “I was 16 when I had my first panic attack! It was so scary I didn't know what was happening to me. It got to the point that I had anxiety every single minute of my day I became house bound for the next 2 yrs I would not step foot outside my house I felt like the world around me was a dream I now know this is called de-realization something that happens when anxiety is at it's worst, at its peek! My mother took me to her psychiatrist, that was the best day of my life I was prescribed 1 mg Xanax 3 x per day. I started to flourish, I starting living again and slowly getting back out into society. I am now 44 I have a loving husband, 2 kids and am still on Xanax but my dosage is much lower 0.5 micrograms in the morning or when necessary.”

ShaolinXantastic · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Seriously I would be dead without this medication. Pop culture has given it the bad rep but as a prescribed user of this god sent medicine from the beautiful minds at pfizer I humbly thank you for saving my life. Had I known and addressed my severe depression, agoraphobia, anxiety & PTSD, (the alphabet goes on).. I would have NEVER SUFFERED FROM A STROKE IN 2010 DUE TO MY CONDITIONS that I had no idea there was a word for what's wrong with me. This is a quick acting short shelf life in the system type of medicine so it's a here, now, gone feeling. The low doses are like a mini invisible hug, the 2 mgs help me sleep and dream of a better life and wake up to my Starbucks feeling alert as the medicine did it's thing on my heart and mind. If during the day I feel sick with chest pain from anxiety it offers immediate relief. I am responsible in my consumption. Thank you to the hard working medical professionals for understanding the pain of the unseen sicknesses.”

Coffee August 8, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I started Xanax in my 30s after my father was diagnosed with cancer and other life events started to pile up. It helped at the beginning. I could notice the difference in my anxiety and sleep patterns. However, a year or two went by and I found myself completely hooked. I had lost contact with friends and isolated from family, I left my job and spent most of the day at home. I truly had a 180 degree change in my social life, hobbies, and relationship. I spent all day at home watching TV and listening to music. I had no desire to deal with people or any type of social interaction. I found myself avoiding everything like going grocery shopping, driving, dealing with problems. Every time I tried getting off the Xanax it would backfire. It took months for me to stop taking Xanax and it has been 3 years without it. I lost many friends and family members and my relationship ended. I have slowly built myself up. Have a great job that keeps me busy, started running again and starting to make new friends.”

AJPisces August 20, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I have been on quite a few antidepressants in addition to Xanax. The antidepressants made my anxiety and panic worse, needing to increase my intake of Xanax when on the antidepressant(s). I was really reluctant to take the Xanax when I was first prescribed the medication. I have been of Pristiq for 8 months now and have lowered my Xanax from 1 mg in the morning, 1mg midday and 2 mg at bed. I am now taking 0.5mg in the morning and 1.5 mg at bed. I am taking vitamins, doing yoga and taking better care of myself. My doctor knows, I am honest. He wanted me to take 2mg every 8 hours but never did. My Mother just died a few weeks ago and have been getting really bad anxiety and still the same dose helps me. Hope this helps.”

Gotta get off these things! November 7, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Been on Xanax for almost 17 years for acute anxiety disorder. I also have a rare heart condition that I take meds for. Xanax was good at first but now after 17 years and up to a prescription of 6mg a day. Just came down from 8mg a day. It’s messing with me. In the past few months I’ve been experiencing what I call googly eyes followed by a headache. I’ve told my Drs and none have an explanation. So I did a test myself. Took my heart meds as usual in the morning left out the Xanax. No googly eyes. Until I took one then there it was. Dizzy ,couldn’t see straight had to lay down with a bad headache. Can you build up a bad dose in your body after taking so much for so long? I’ve only been on the 8&6 mg for about 5 years. I have a family and I know I’m going to need in patient care to get off this stupid medicine. Also let me add yes I know I’m addicted and dependent but I’m scared and not sure if what to do but try to slowly ween myself off. Of course my dr is helping.”

NoToX · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “From my experience with Xanax it ruins lives, period. Xanax was made for 14 day use for acute crisis but is grossly misprescribed. Xanax is more addictive than heroin and turns normal people into weird and angry shells of who they previously were. The drug causes the brain to stop producing chemicals it needs and the half life is so short that you go into withdrawal every time the drug “runs out” every 4 hours. You believes the feeling is “anxiety” and take another pill to treat it! However the feeling is just withdrawal. You will need more and more of the drug just to get the original effects and you will not really be aware of how you’re acting. The longer you take the drug the worse it gets- and eventually the doctor who got you hooked on it will stop prescribing it. A safe way to get off of Xanax is the Ashton method (Benzodiazepines How They Work & How to Withdraw)- switching slowly from Xanax to Valium. Valium like a longer acting form of Xanax which then is easier to cut down on. I urge you never to start the drug.”

pbirm · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I have been having sleep issues for years. At times its not too bad but lately it's been hard to fall a asleep. I also get up multiple times to urinate due to an enlarged prostate. I'm 51. My wife had some Xanax and she told me to try one before going to bed. I used it the last 2 nights. The pills are 0.5 mg. OMG, I slept like a BABY for the 2 nights and felt so refreshed. I also only got up once to use the bathroom. Most nights I get up almost every hour to urinate. That wreaks my sleep. I will not take the pill every night but I may periodically. Too bad it's not safe to take for a long period of time.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Just got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax. Within a half hour the intrusive thoughts and panic attacks stopped. Taking sparingly, only when needed. Definitely a good thing to take at your worst moments, but not good for regular use.”

D October 5, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t severely depressed & anxious & without obsessive thoughts. I had severe emotional abuse/twisted mental abuse from my first memory at 3 until I was an adult. I’m 43. There are times I’ll go for days & not need Xanax or take it. But when the panicking & anxiety start I can take 5-6 mg (no, not .5 - actually 5) and finally function. I only use it as needed although I’ve been told I should take it daily. Drug seekers have hurt people like me SO bad. This is the only medication that works when I panic or feel anxiety to the point of wanting to die. I have & never will abuse it, but if I didn’t have it I would for sure be dead. I’ve NEVER had a withdrawal feeling or problem at all. But at that level of panic and obsession I am crippled. My daily meds (esp the anafranil) work very well now to prevent this , but when I get triggered, it’s a wrap. So there ARE some people who aren’t abusers, & who couldn’t function without it.”

Bingtopper · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2013

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I've been taking this medicine for 2 days and all I can say is wow! Is this what normal life is supposed to feel like? I was diagnosed with a chronic pain condition that is caused by a lifetime full of anxiety and the tightening and clenching of muscles that were not intended to be in constant use. The pit in my stomach is gone and I am actually looking forward to waking up in the morning and being able to face the day anxiety free!”

Patient X · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Well I've been taking Xanax for more than 22 years now for panic disorder. I'm literally addicted to Xanax. Doctor told me my panic disorder would last 6 months only, but turned out it lasted for years. Doctor didn't inform me about the addictive nature of Xanax. Only in 2007 after much research I found out that all my mental disorders are caused by lack of nutrients. Started taking nutrients supplements. It worked but unfortunately I had to stick to Xanax for quite a while until I can find a way to quit it altogether. Though Xanax is useful in treating anxiety and panic disorder, unfortunately it is a terrible and addictive drug. I urge you all to take nutrients supplements and try tapering on Xanax. It will work. God bless.”

Yessy · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I was prescribed 0.5 for anxiety I have been taking half a tablet during day time if I have anxiety and .5 at night also if I need it. It does make me a little tired but the half seems to be good enough for me during daytime. After taking it I feel relief and the pressure on chest seems to settle quickly. Not all medicines agree with everyone but you have to keep trying until you find the right one.”

KKJ2419 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2021

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “Xanax has saved my life. If you’re responsible with self control it is a miracle drug. Just knowing I have it has lessened the amount of panic attacks I have. I started having unprovoked, spontaneous panic attacks about 6 years ago. I would be sitting in my car and feel like I was hit by a train, literally, I would have trouble breathing. It was terrifying. I don’t have an addictive personality and can easily go days to a week without taking one, most times half a pill is more than enough. Xanax is absolutely life changing. My advice is ONLY take when needed. It shouldn’t be taken every day, in my opinion. it’s like a little miracle that should be respected and used only as needed.”

Gr · Taken for 10 years or more August 11, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “For anxiety I give it 10, but for depression 1. It is very good medicine for GAD..but after a couple of months you get addicted. If you stop insomnia is terrible and brain doesn't function at all..so be aware of that.”

SapphireBeast67 January 28, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “I had a breakdown in my doctor's office after my Klonopin stopped working. She said I needed something stronger for my daily panic attacks as I could not even function at my part time job that was only three days a week. I am on 2mgs twice daily. It's affordable and helps like no other medicine I've tried. I take it with chamomile tea to relax if I've had a stressful day. Or if things get too hectic at work I may take half of one. It also cured my insomnia. I feel like a normal person now. ”