User Reviews for Alprazolam (Page 4)

Also known as: Xanax, Xanax XR, Alprazolam Intensol

Alprazolam has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 1,287 ratings on Drugs.com. 85% of those users who reviewed Alprazolam reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
Borderline Personality Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 8.7 1,287 reviews

Reviews for Alprazolam

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 22, 2021

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “My Dr prescribed 1.0 daily when I was 19 years old. I'm now 51 and still take it daily. My dosage varies depending on the day or situation. Never more than 2 pills in one day. Somedays I don't even take it. However, if I don't take it for a couple days, I get irritable. I spoke with my new Dr about it and he assured me I was fine taking it as needed and once or twice a day. Just not to abuse it. I usually take it when I know I'll be in a situation where my anxiety can be high. This medication has literally allowed me to live a regular life. After spending every other day in an ER for almost 2 years, it was a huge relief to finally find something that worked. Sometimes I've considered slowly weaning off of it, but when I weigh the circumstances and the effects on not having it , I decided to just continue taking it as prescribed. My Dr was 100% on board with it.”

Tale of a life changed · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 9, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Ok.... I started using ecstasy or mdma in 1998 at 13 years old. Even before I smoked weed. I graduated to weed, GHB ,shrooms, Valium, Xanax, klonopin, LSD , ketamine, DMT, 2cb, nitrous. Heroin every other opiate too. But I had a close friend die at 30 years old, which made me stop, using opiates, which eventually got me on Xanax and adderall, and that’s it. I have worked in IT for the last 8 years, and Xanax saved my life”

Anonymous December 14, 2011

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “I'm 37 yrs old I have been dealing with severe depression all my life. I have tried every antidepressant medicine under the sun, some were mildly effective but the side effects were worse than the depression. I went to a new doctor and he asked if I have ever tried Xanax. I said no I thought that was used for anxiety. He prescribed me 1.5 mg a day I started noticing a difference the first day. This stuff is amazing been on it for 2 months finally some relief. Its unfortunate its abused so much and so hard to get a doctor to prescribe it. I haven't had any side effects, I have such a positive outlook on everything now. It has completely changed my life for the better. All the symptoms that come along with depression I had are gone.”

Hulio November 29, 2008

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I don't have panic or depression problems. I have sleeping problems. I fall asleep fine, but wake up around 2 AM and cannot go back to sleep because my mind is too active thinking about stupid stuff like movies, lawn mowers, hunting, visiting my grandkids, working on my car, music, planned projects, football, YOU NAME IT. I take Xanax when I wake up earky and can't sleep. Xanax makes me go back to sleep almost immediately and I wake up around 6 AM feeling great. I have not noted any side effects, but I take it only when needed.”

joseph · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “hi stop smoking back 6 weeks ago after almost 37 years . This has brought on constant coughing with problems of getting rid of smoker's phlegm plus depression luck of sleep and constant thoughts that j am going to die because of my respiratory and chest are full of phlegm and short of breath. Finally getting XANAX 0.5 twice a day . Real different is that I am positive now. I can sleep almost 8 hrs a night and have positive thinking of ex smoker and my body are recovering slowly but consistently”

Alpha · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “The first time my doctor gave me xanax I thought this is the best! I started with 1mg per day, then 2, and then 3. It made me feel so calm and more happy. But I realized after how addictive it is. Now I take Xanax up to 6mg per day because I feel is the only thing that helps me not having anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes I just enjoy how it makes me feel. It has been very effective but I also think is dangerous. Because I don't care about the side effects but I am very scared of the thought of overdosing. I lie to people about how mg I take in a day. Take care of your self, if you have depression. It is easily to get addicted because it gives you that empty feeling you might find pleasant.”

Nadethi June 12, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I had been on paroxetine (Paxil) on and off for 15 years which worked great for treating generalized anxiety, depression, obsessive thinking, self-esteem, socialability. Without medication I feel like I'm going crazy with the nonstop chatter in my brain and constant worry and doubt.I have achieved so much while on paroxetine, but it eventually pooped out on me on the highest dose. For 2 months I have tried Lexapro now and I feel like it is just making things worse, but when I take a 0.25 Xanax I feel a lot better and the anxiety and constant worry, butterflies in stomach, dreadful feeling about life dissipates. The cloud over me lifts and I can actually feel positive emotions again. They say the benefits of Xanax only last a few hours which is why they can be so addictive, but I feel relief for about 24 hours on the smallest dose. It is making this transition in finding a new long-term solution for my anxiety and depression at least bearable on the days that I really need relief.”

YIKES! · Taken for 10 years or more November 5, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I am prescribed up to 4mg a day and usually take 2 to 3 mg a day. I can't be given any SSRIs due to bad reactions on my maternal side of the family. Xanax just works for me. Was it overprescribed for years and given to people who had no business taking it? Yes. But this drug works wonders for some people. And it's not placebo. Am I dependent? Yes. Is my quality of life better on them? Yes. They don't make me sleepy or black out. In fact they give energy and on bad days motivation to get out of bed. I'm in good health, sleep 6 to 8 hours a day, and can interact with people better. Are they for everyone? NO. But they've helped me immensely.”

Free Atlast · Taken for 10 years or more August 19, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Been on Xanax over 30 years. Began taking it for severe panic attacks which turned into agoraphobia after doctors said nothing was wrong and kept telling me just to relax. I had panic so bad I could not leave the house, answer the phone or doorbell, eat. When my blood pressure went so high I burst a blood vessel in my eye I finally met a doctor who was an expert in panic disorder. He started me on Xanax and all my symptoms resolved almost immediately. Blood pressure normal, could go out and shop, got a good job. Life was wonderful for 30 years. On .25 3 X per day. Never wanted or needed more. Now doctors want everyone off Xanax and I am being forced to quit. I am terrified. At least I had 30 great years”

Big Eagle · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 2, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “I've suffered from generalized anxiety for 25 years. At one point I could barely leave my house. Afraid to drive on bridges, tunnels, fly... I even had anxiety about taking taking anxiety medication. Xanax was a game changer for me! I rarely take it, but I've Taken trips I never thought I would be able to take. Get this, I was even able to skydive! Not bad for an agoraphobic. It builds confidence. Just having it in my pocket really helps. I had to take a .5 mg dose tonight because I've been in panic mode for five days and I finally needed to reset my mental state. I think David Burn's "feeling good handbook," is an awesome tool too. I'm rambling because after 5 days of super anxiety, I finally took a .5 and now I feel great.”

mazamamama · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I have severe OCD, with accompanying anxiety and debilitating insomnia. Xanax helps me break thought loops. I only take it a few times per week, almost exclusively at night, and rarely during the day when I'm hit with a paralyzing bout of obsessional thought. I take .125 mg (half a .25mg pill). Surprisingly, that is enough to stop the ruminating and make me a little drowsy, and that adds up to falling asleep. Sometimes I take it in the middle of the night to get back to sleep, but only if I don't have to get up early the next day and if I didn't take it to get to sleep that night in the first place. The way I see it, if .125 to .25 mg stops working for me, it'll be time to move on and maybe revisit Xanax at a later date. Having tried a great many different medications, I'm beginning to think rotating treatments is the way to go anyway, to prevent tolerance, addiction, and avoid long-term side effects/consequences.”

doxie789 August 2, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “After a recent medical diagnosis, I had a difficult time coping and felt a tremendous sense of fear and worry constantly. Brought me to the point I was physically ill everyday and having panic attacks frequently. Xanax is wonderful when you find the right dose. Too much and I became a zombie. 0.25 MG was my perfect dose. It brought me down from panic and allowed me to take a step back and deal with my problems rationally.”

Ken0808 May 14, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “It's amazing how many symptoms come about because of anxiety: chest pain, chest squeezing, dizziness, light-headed feelings, feeling faint, sweating, nausea, heart palpitations. I could go on. Xanax is practically a miracle drug. It stops most of these symptoms cold after about 45 minutes of taking it. You feel better, and you look back at one hour ago, and you're bewildered that stress and anxiety caused you to feel so badly.”

Prettykitty loves the calmness July 7, 2008

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I used to get very aggravated over what normal people handle. I would go off. Have panic attacks and not know how to deal. Plus, I have tremors in my hands, mostly my right. Once I started taking Xanax the tremors stopped, I could deal calmly with my children when they got out of control. It helps me concentrate easier during the day & sleep well @ nite. It can have side affects though if you don't take it properly! Take it as prescribed and don't make yourself go through the withdrawals.”

eyakalot October 29, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “I have a panic disorder and have been taking Xanax for over 20 yrs now. Never had to increase my dose and finally can live a normal life. The doctor had tried all different medications and this is the only one that worked.”

Rebel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 27, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “Amazing drug. People say it’s bad but they lie about it all the time in the news Bottom line for me it’s a safe drug. But like all things even video games it can be addictive. Just use it responsibly. In other words don't take too regularly.”

Kay · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 1, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “After our son committed suicide I developed PTSD and panic disorder. Xanax literally saved my life. No big deal stopping this drug, but others have severe problems. By God's grace I'm off of all drugs.”

Olaf1991 · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “I was prescribed 0.5mg Xanax as needed for my PTSD, severe anxiety and panic attacks. I can say it works 100% . My panic attacks lasted about 45mins before it was prescribed and now they last about 5mins. I take about 1mg (2 doses of 0.5mg) when I feel it coming on. This drug saved my life! I am also on 150mg of Zoloft, and hydroxizine for the evening to keep my anxiety down and help me sleep. They say this drug is very very addictive but my Psychiatrist said it’s hard to get addicted if you use it correctly and only as needed. Make sure to not drink much with Xanax or it will make you sleep for a long time and super dangerous. I will be on this med for a very very long time.”

GG · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Have had symptoms of panic attack and anxiety disorder over 50 years. Diagnosed 1980 by psychiatrist. Was able to lead a high-functioning life and hold down a 20-year high functioning career with the state. After this many years and all the reading that I have done and also my experience in working with psychiatric patients I understand what a benzodiazepine can do in my estimation it is The Most Dangerous Drug bar none to detox from. Because of the opiate epidemic it is being suggested to the medical community to also curtail use of benzodiazepines. If I came away with nothing from this post I hope to come away with the fact that doctors need to be educated as to the dangers removing patients from long-term benzodiazepine use without titrating”

amyjleak September 21, 2010

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Excellent for anxiety, especially if you start with the minimum amount, 0.25 mg and only take more if needed. I say this because I was prescribed 0.5 mg 3x daily and don't need that much. Try to take the least amount and if that works don't take more since you can build up a slight tolerance over time. My only concern is will I ever be able to be off of medicine. I just wish there was a natural cure for anxiety. I hate being dependent on this.”

Kira · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I've been on Xanax for 25 years. Same 2 mg dose the entire time. It got added to my meds due to Childhood PTSD that would not allow me to calm down and sleep. This drug should not be used alone. Other meds should be in place. If you take this drug and need to continue increase the dosage amount, this drug may not be for you. You need a diagnosis from a psychiatrist to even get this drug. You will be monitored for a long time while on it. Monthly visits to the doctor for years and years. Once you can prove that you can take this medication responsibly you may find the "rules" relaxed a bit. You are not to drink on this drug. I have rarely had a drink for the last 25 years. A cocktail once in a blue moon.”

DEW3 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “Began taking xanax during a time when my one and only child left home for college and I lost my job a month later. It allowed me to cope and move forward. The most I ever took was 1 mg per day, but I now take .25 when I have periodic depression and anxiety. I sometimes go 6 weeks without taking one. The best way to describe it is like rebooting your mind. Life saver for me.”

NEK · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 14, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Yeah, it works. Some people are more sensitive than others. Generally, you take a pill (depends on dosage) and you just start feeling your tight chest and stomach release, and I notice I begin breathing more calmly and normally. Just feels good all over, which is such a contrast from the horrors of anxiety. It can make you a little sleepy. I think for 'normal people' it would make them very sleepy. For 'anxious' people, I think it makes you normal and relaxed. The one problem is that if you take it too much, like three days in a row, the effect is reduced and you have to 'up' the dosage. I think it works best for occasional use, like before a difficult situation or when you're just having a lot of anxiety and need calm.”

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

For Tinnitus: “I have ringing in my right ear which has come out of no where. Hearing test was perfect, MRI showed nothing. Doctor put me on low dose of xanax and after a couple days the ringing went to a low fizzing sound that I can tolerate. The original ringing was so bad I was having some dark thoughts . Thank God its helping I'm very anxious by nature so perhaps the anxiety brought it on.”

sadie66 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 29, 2014

For Tinnitus: “I have suffered with tinnitus and mild hearing loss for the past 10 years. I had gotten to the point of completely "losing" it. The constant ringing, buzzing, etc. was driving me insane and causing anxiety. My doctor prescribed Xanax for the anxiety, but it clearly brought the tinnitus under control. I no longer suffer from anxiety because I'm no longer stressed by the continuous noise. Xanax gets a bad rap, but it saved me and made my life normal again. Many thanks to my doctor.”