User Reviews for Alprazolam (Page 4)

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Dysautonomia 4 reviews 53 medications

Depression 75 reviews 80 medications

8.6
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 808 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Alprazolam

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I've just switched to Klonopin from being on Xanax for almost 11 years. It worked WONDERS for me. I never abused it and take it responsibly, but I did develop a tolerance to it after so long on it. One of the best things about Xanax is that it kicks in pretty quickly, which is a must for panic attacks. It's very hard for me to let Xanax go because it's the only thing that really worked for my anxiety and panic attacks."

IcePrincess88 (taken for 10 years or more) February 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Works great for on the spot panic attacks. Takes about 30 minutes to work but after that no more panic. This drug has saved me many of times!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "I grew up very "shy", quiet and fearful into an adult who now chronically suffers from social/generalized anxiety, depression and OCD. As a teen into my late 20s, I was always prescribed some sort of anti-depressant, which felt like they were only doing half the job, but my anxiety and constant feeling of "tightly wound" was going untreated and becoming more severe. Now in my early 30s, a doc at the VA prescribed alprazolam at a daily dose up to 1-1.5mg to help with social anxiety. When I take this, I can only describe it as "I feel like a normal person, this must be how everyone without social anxiety feels". It "takes the edge off", but won't completely take the "edge" away, but it's a life changer in comparison to living without it."

MsPisces (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "Having had anxiety since I was a teenager, I'd been taking no drugs at all and just living with it until I was given valium by my primary doctor and that helped. I had seen a CSW, a psychologist and finally another psychologist who took me off the valium I'd tried and suggested xanax and paxil. I've been taking the two drugs : 10 mg. paxil 1x a day and .025 xanax up to 3x a day for 8 months or so, with much success. Can these meds be taken indefinitely.?"

Nussie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Used for 6 weeks to treat muscle spasms and phobia. After asking my doctor to wean me off we followed a regimen, and it was the worst withdrawal I have ever experienced in my whole life, even worse than things that I've taken in the past. I suffered temporal epileptic seizures for 3 days, and was staring at the door for an hour before my girlfriend smacked me to wake me up. 6 days later I suffered two consecutive grand mal seizures that broke my skull and nose. I had never history of seizures, brain MRI EEGs done last year came out clear and crystal, and this medicine lowered my threshold so much, 6 months after I stopped it I am not the same, I am not the same anymore. Please be careful and think ten times before you decide to drop it."

Nasmoed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "My psychiatrist prescribes me 15 Xanax 0.5mg per month. I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression, and am on other meds for that; Xanax is only for extra-stressful situations. It is incredibly effective. Within minutes of taking it, I am much calmer. I notice no side effects whatsoever."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I was diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia in 2000 a little after a car accident. I went back to work and worked fast and hard as usual and the dystonia got worse. Shortly after, I developed panic attacks. Dr. prescribed generic xanax and it really helped. I don't remember how much it was- 2005. The xanax not only took the panic attacks away but my neck pulling would go away for a long time. Since 2013 dystonia came back w/vengance. No one has prescribed xanax and keeps prescribing crappy medications-Baclofen, flexiril and now Atarax. I'm scared to take the Atarax. I know xanax works and I only used it maybe 4 times a month. No habit forming for me. Kids ruined it for folks that need it :("

Raquelsc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I've used Xanax twice in my life--once when one of my children died and later when I was divorced. The drug works as advertised, relieving anxiety in an extremely short time. 12 years ago I was prescribed 0.5 mg three times a day and it really worked. However, it is very easy to get comfortable taking these. I stopped cold turkey after about a month with no withdrawal, but I could just have easily become very dependent. It's a great medication if you use restraint and only take it when necessary. My current doctor tells me that he tells his patients that 3 0.5 mg tablets is the maximum they should take every week. It's great but be careful!"

Anon 80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "Ok, Xanax was the very 1st Benzo I tried, my doctor Rx'd me 1mg 3x daily. It worked decently, but I was expecting a lot more. After talking to Doc about it, he switched me to Klonopin 1mg 3x daily. All I can say is, WOW! Klonopin is SO much more effective for me. It does take a couple of hours to kick in, but once it does.. I can't honestly say how much better Klonopin is than Xanax. Both are equivalent mg for mg. Klonopin has a MUCH longer half life. It just works overall way better than Xanax. I see so many positive reviews of Xanax, but I'm wondering if most of them have tried a different benzo?"

XanaxIsOverated (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 29, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have generalized anxiety disorder and several other mental illnesses, so I am on a combination of medications. Xanax is one of the best of the bunch. I only get fifteen 0.5mg pills per month, for use only in stressful situations. Works like a charm every time. Within fifteen minutes my anxiety and panic symptoms are well under control. No side effects whatsoever. I know the danger of addiction is very real, but as long as I use my Xanax sparingly, I see no reason to ever stop taking it. I also take Tenormin, Neurontin, Ambien, Buspar, and Remeron."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2016

For Tinnitus: "I've had a ringing/buzzing in my right ear (only) for several years. It's been stressful I could barely function. My doctor prescribed alprazolam so I could relax & sleep at night but 1 day, when the ringing was unusually loud/distracting, I decided to just try using it during the daytime. I took 1/2 of a tablet and within a very short time, less than 1/2 hour, the ringing was gone. It seems to be effective for about 6-8 hours. I also take my usual 1 tablet for sleeping and my anxiousness about tinnitus is under control for the most part. I don't understand but I'm too happy to question it. My prescription is for 1 tablet 2X/day so I'm on the low end when taking only 1 1/2! "

Keith's Mom January 27, 2016

For Tinnitus: "I don't know if I should take xanax ! But I have been considering on doing it, I am usually afraid of drugs , but this hissing in my ear its so annoying to the point that it is debilitating I can barely make it through the day so any suggestions I will appreciate"

Percha January 26, 2016

For Tinnitus: "I have been suffering from tinnitus for years. It was pretty bearable when I first experienced it; however, I fell on the ice a few years ago and hit the back of my head and neck. I developed vertigo, which has gotten much better but the tinnitus was still unbearable. I tried Xanax to calm my anxiety and found it to greatly help my tinnitus. I was afraid of getting addicted to it but I only take a small dose and don't take it everyday. When I don't take it, the tinnitus is pretty bad. I don't know if it is because the anxiety is so bad and it helps that but it certainly reduces the volume of the tinnitus."

Angela O January 23, 2016

For Anxiety: "Works great for me, cause I've been on every anxiety, panic disorder, depression medicine on the market. Prestiq and wellbutrin which I am on now. Xanax saved my life so far for panic attacks The $1.20 is for 90 2mg which for me is a 30 day supply, yes my anxiety is that bad. I tried to explain my story but something was acting up and stopped me when I got to the important part. I'll try explaining later"

Kbanana (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "This drug has destroyed my life! Taking it as prescribed for years has left me totally dependant and without hope. I've tried to taper off unsuccessfully many times. When on it at full strength I am despondent. There are blanks in my mind during which time people I love the most say I have behaved in ways that were contrary to my nature and core values. It seems as though I have permanent brain damage. My doctor says the safest way to attempt the protracted withdrawal process can only be attempted in a qualified facility which my Medicare will not cover. This drug ruined my chance at ever having a normal life. I have no friends, my only child abandoned me. No spouse. I hope I will manage to get off it."

Dixie NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE January 20, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have been on Xanax for about 30 years now. I have suffered with anxiety since I was a child and depression later in life. I started out only taking 0.5 mg a day, even going for periods of time without taking it at all, and then over the past 15 years I have graduated to only 1.5 mg a day. I feel no need for an increase. I suffer with all the usual anxiety symptoms, but one symptom that is most annoying is the choking sensation I feel in my throat. I believe I carry my stress and worries there. When I take Xanax, it takes this terrible feeling away. I find it extremely difficult to get a doctor to prescribe me this medicine as I moved to another state. The people who abuse this drug make it extremely difficult for those of us who need it."

lamb1111 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Hello everybody. I'm only giving Xanax a 1 out of 10 because it doesn't seem to have any effect on me. I've been getting it every month for a few years. I started it back when, after taking Paxil for a decade, it started to decrease its effectiveness and my anxiety and panic attacks were beginning to re-appear. My psych switched me to Effexor, and while we were figuring out the best dose in combination with Buspar, I was desperate to have a fast-acting solution to the panic when I felt it coming on. He gave me Xanax, but it didn't help with the overwhelming anxiety unless I took a few of them, and even then the improvement was minimal to moderate. When I found the magic dosage amount with the Effexor my anxiety all but disappeared.."

Mikek1 January 11, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "My doctor threw every anti depressant medication my way they ALL made my depression worse to the point I had suicidal thoughts and tendencies. My mother had it with the Drs changing my dose and meds so finally she gave me some of her own prescribed xanax. She gave me a .25 when I had my bad day about 7 days out of the month now as needed. I also have nervous habits, anxiety. When she started giving me the xanax I was 17. Before I would cry hysterically for hours on end. As soon as I tried xanax it all went away. No more mood swings my depression went way down only having a few issues a month when I was untreated. I am now 28 and I use it maybe 4-6 times a year and I use oils the others. I highly recommend not using it continuously."

gethelptoday January 11, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I started on Xanax after the birth of my second child for post partum anxiety. I used Ativan after my first baby but my new doctor wanted me to try Xanax. I thought it worked great at first. .25 my 4 x a day. Most days I only took 2 or 3. My baby developed colic issues and my husband was working 60 -70 hours a week so I had no help and was going crazy from no sleep and endless hours of non-stop crying so they upped my dose to .5 mg 3 x a day. Things calmed down around 3 months so I tried to cut back down but ended up with severe panic attacks and shaking, etc. Even when I take my regular dose on time I am still struggling with increased heart rate, shakiness, irritability, etc. Hoping to switch meds or something at my next appointment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I started taking Xanax over ten years ago for my anxiety. I started with .5 mg twice a day and ended up at .5 mg every 4 hours and still felling like I needed more as I was addicted. I had one heck of a time weaning off. I now take 1/2 of a .25 mg tablet every 3 to 4 hours when needed for my tinnitus. It works to lessen the anxiety caused by the constant ringing in my ears and I try some days to take it only once or twice. It has worked great for me but I suggest being very conservative with your dosing because it is very easy to build a tolerance and form an addiction."

D in NM January 7, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I suffer from moderate, sometimes severe anxiety. General life stress, such as my job (bad bosses), my kids arguing over any & everything, etc... I've been on Xanax (alprozolam) for about 2 years on & off. Recently I've started experiencing panic attacks with psychotic features (self-diagnosing here) and as soon as I take a .5mg Xanax tablet, I'm fine within 5-10 minutes. This little tablet has been a lifesaver for me."

Landonsmommy14 January 4, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I have been taking Xanax for about one month now, and my life has drastically changed. I get really bad hot flashes and when I started taking this I noticed immediate results. One huge tip I have is to eat really healthy, and also on days where you have time take xanax and go workout hard. Run on the treadmill, lift weights, or swim. With all these things incorporated into my life I am much happier, have my social life back and I am able to show my natural talents without the fear of doom."

Lovelyso January 4, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "If I could give Xanax more stars, I would. I have Panic Disorder and during college, panic disorder with mild Agoraphobia. After being prescribed Xanax, whenever I felt the onset of a panic attack emerging, this medication would save me from spiraling into a cycle of uncontrolled panic.My agoraphobia is gone. I would only recommend taking it as needed. I couldn't be happier with my results and I can live a normal life knowing I have my 'security blanket' if I need it."

panicbegone (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2016

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "Xanax XR (2mg every morning) has controlled my anxiety and panic attacks since 2008. One of the SSRIs I tried worked (Zoloft), but the side effects were unacceptable. The XR does not have those side effects and keeps working at a constant dose, though I occasionally need .5mg Xanax PRN. Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy and Mindfulness Meditation have helped, too, but they are not enough."

Calmer Person (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "My wife uses Xanax. She is bipolar II. She has a lot of depression and anxiety but not much hypomania. She takes two 1mg when she is having a really bad day which is about every other day. It knock her out for about four hours. Often times she will wake up and then about 4 hours later, she needs to take another Xanex. It helps in emergencies but does nothing for the underlying cause of her severe depression and anxiety. I'm glad it's there for emergencies though. I wish it did something to decrease the frequency of emergencies."

Swpo January 1, 2016