User Reviews for Alprazolam (Page 3)

Also known as: Xanax, Xanax XR, Alprazolam Intensol

Alprazolam has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 1,287 ratings on Drugs.com. 85% of those users who reviewed Alprazolam reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
Borderline Personality Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 8.7 1,287 reviews

Reviews for Alprazolam

Bellaspud March 16, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Only med that has ever really worked for me. I've tried every holistic approach to treat my anxiety, taking a .25 takes the edge off like nothing else. I'm afraid to take meds but taking xanax doesn't make me nervous. I only take it when my anxiety and panic come back, sometimes I have it under control for long periods of time. I read a lot of negative things about becoming addicted and the withdrawal effects but most of us who really suffer hate taking meds. We rather get better with no drugs. It helps me calm down so I can think clearly and get through the day or night. Wanted to post something positive for those who are afraid to take it.”

Severely Depressed Xo · Taken for 10 years or more October 11, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “I know what it's like to lose 30 pounds in one month from depression. No appetite, can't walk without getting tired, laying in bed all day crying & nightmares night after night. It's so annoying when psychs' won't prescribe this because of fear of addiction. Well guess what? If I hadn't have found xanax, I would have committed suicide a long time ago. You can take this medicine long term if you have severe depression and are responsible.”

ms me November 3, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “The first time I took Xanax was when I was having dental work and it was prescribed for the acute anxiety I feel with dentists. This past year my regular doctor suggested I might like to take it from time to time because of depression and anxiety. It helps tremendously. I usually break the .25 mg pill in half and just take half of one. I do not use it every day, but when I need it, it's wonderful and gets me to the next day.”

David August 23, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “I have been taking Xanax for 7 years now. And I do not feel like myself anymore. Everything have become worse step by step since I started this! I can barely go out now! Xanax took my life away! My agoraphobia and panic attacks has increase over 1000 times! I'm so addicted to this medicine by now so if I miss one dose, I get crazy panic and feel I will DIE and get a stroke or heart attack! Have been close to call ambulance many times! I had one bad seizure a while ago. NOW I have decided to quit this "medicine" but at the hospital under the supervision of a Doctor! I can not quit myself! I have been taking 4 mg every day since 7 years! Please STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG! If you take if for years, it will be like selling your soul to the devil! Xanax is the devils candy! I would have torn my first prescription in 2 parts if I could travel back in time! Now I need 4 MG a day, at least just to survive! Only to keep my nose above the surface! Remember I WARNED YOU! I lost my girlfriend! Pray for me, please!”

BW · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 9, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Been on Xanax for almost 10 years. It has saved my life and I mean that. I couldn’t function from the severe anxiety that I would get everyday. I recently moved and my new psychiatrist won’t prescribe it to me. I am just thankful I still have 3 more scripts I can fill. He’s trying to get me off it by putting me on Buspar. What a mess this drug is. I can’t sleep and am nauseous all day long. Still take a low dose of my Xanax while on it but it scares me having to give up the only thing that has helped me over all theses years. People who abuse it have given it a horrible reputation and it’s not available for the responsible people that really need it.”

Beardman8511 January 6, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “This drug Xanax does exactly what it’s supposed to do for panic attacks. It’s honestly the only prescribed drug I’ve ever taken that really fulfils what it says it will do. I’ve been taking this medicine for close to 20 years sometimes not for long periods of time but very steadily for about the past 7. I gave it nine stars bc it is super effective but has a good deal of drawbacks. For one, it’s crazy addicting. I feel I’m definitely addicted to it and start having very serious withdrawals if I skip a few days. Personally, I feel like it’s the lesser of two bad options being that not having it my life is just constant anxiety and panic but it creates its own anxiety knowing that you need it. I currently take 2 mg a day and sometimes I break it up throughout the day. If your anxiety is truly severe and strongly affecting your life I would recommend taking it but if that’s not the case I would use some discretion before getting involved with a drug as strong as this.”

Scary cat · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2021

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I've been taking Xanax for over 30 years. I had terrible panic attacks, anxiety which caused dangerously high blood pressure. Within days taking xanax along with a beta blocker I was completely normal again. I've always taken in divided doses usually .25 three times per day. I was allowed an additional. 25 if I had panic or increased anxiety. I just started with new doctor. He says I've been taking it wrong all these years. He says I need to take it all at once in the morning and he cut me down to .50mg per day. Won't this make me sleepy all day and awake all night? Why are doctors always trying to ruin a perfect medication routine?”

chig81 May 7, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “This medication has helped me live a normal life well more normal. I don't worry much about nothing and I can go into Walmart and feel comfortable. My social life is improving as well. There were times I couldn't get myself to interact with people sometimes I wouldn't even answer the phone. I've only been on this medicine for a little over a month it has truly been a lifesaver. I am sleeping like a baby I can't remember the last time I've struggled to calm down and go to sleep only to wake up several times a night using the bathroom or just couldn't relax. My quality of life is getting much better.”

Blondie · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 13, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “I've been taking xanax 4mg daily for severe panic disorder and agoraphobia since 2014. This drug is a miracle, it gave me my life back. I'm able to work and enjoy my life again instead of being bed ridden. I experienced no side effects either. If not for xanax I would've been in an institution by now xanax saved my life.”

Ali · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 10, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “This stuff is a godsend for my nighttime anxiety attacks. It acts quickly, getting me back to sleep, stopping the gremlins in my head, dead in their tracks. This may sound weird but xanax also seems to improve my vision, especially distance. I had noticed this also with Valium in the past. My eye muscles relax too instead of straining? Not complaining!”

Vandilion1 · Taken for 10 years or more August 30, 2020

For Anxiety: “I found that the fast acting nature of alprazolam was very beneficial to my type of severe anxiety. I have had moments where I could not leave the house but within an half hour I felt much calmer. I have panic attacks that seem to come out of nowhere and seem to incapacitate me. The alprazalam calms me down to where I am able to breathe, gather my thoughts and get on with life.”

ayse · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I have no problem taking Xanax for sleep for years.. I am now trying to get off of it - only in the fear that they won't be manufacturing it for long, and doctors are so reluctant to prescribe it. I'm scared I will have withdrawal effects.. .. so I have to do it very slow.. But I truly have no complaints taking 1 mg.. or half for sleep at night and for anxiety. Too bad its abused and now known as a bad drug..”

Autism Mom · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “My child has been sick and disabled for 40 years. She has seizures and autism and is a wanderer. We have both been thru enough nightmares to write a series of books. I have panic and anxiety. Now because of silly adolescents and adults trying to get high I am unable to get Xanax - the only medication that has kept me sane for 30years. I only filled my prescription 3-4x a year. I never got high from taking it. I didn't know you could. I barely leave the house now and I have panic attacks while driving and this is new to me ...panic attacks wake me up. I can't even sleep on peace. I'm in AZ where pot is legal but Xanax is not. No one prescribes it anymore. The stupid Dr's here think panic attacks are not real and laugh at me. They see my child. She is always with me.”

Mike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2019

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “I absolutely love this generic alternative to regular Xanax because I can attest to previously having urges and cravings to take more when I was on regular than I ever do for Xanax XR. SOO thankful for this drug, one of those XR formulations actually turned out to be useful in deterring abuse and misuse. I would recommend this 10x overs than any other benzodiazepines currently available on the market for anxiety. This drug has changed my life and it doesn't negatively impact it, nor do I find myself running out early. I actually have more than needed at time my medication was due for refill.”

BlueMoon · Taken for 10 years or more February 27, 2021

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “I would urge anyone starting to take this medication not use it everyday unless you are under the care of an experienced board certified psychiatrist. I have taken the same dose (2mg/day) for over 25 years. Going longer than 12-24 hours without the medication means that I need to find the nearest ER. The withdrawal is SUPREME AGONY and can be extremely dangerous. Even properly withdrawing off this medication can take years and not the weeks or months. Over a 10yrs ago I was inappropriately tapered off the med and I lost my of my executive functioning.”

Dawnie · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 12, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “This is one of those medications that you try to avoid due to "bad press," That being said, it has saved my life. I went from being home bound agoraphobic to traveling outside my home, getting and maintaining a 12 hour job and this year going back to college to finish my nursing degree. This is what this medication was originally made for....to give those like us a chance at a normal life. So sad so many are deprived this miracle drug due to a few bad apples. No memory impairment thus far and I have been on this med for years. Not expensive. No bad side effects other than an occasional headache. Wonderful medication!”

Fitness freak December 15, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Was prescribed Xanax .25 mg as needed about 9 months ago. After a few weeks I cut it back on my own to .125 as needed. I’m averaging .1 mg a day. I’m concerned about long term use, ( is 9 months considered long term?) Withdrawal is another fear( does replacing Xanax with another drug make any sense?) and mostly, the dizziness that I feel almost daily, especially when standing up or getting out of bed. Anyone have advice or personal experience that can help me? I’m 62, with 3 widow maker stents, but otherwise in excellent health.”

MotoMisfit January 4, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “As far back as I can remember, kindergarten I think. I've suffered from major anxiety issues. I can remember throwing up in the trash can by the entrance to Jr. High School, and through High School even. I could then, and can now make my hands sweat just by thinking about it. When I finally got on Xanax, I was far more outgoing, funny, and learned there was a whole side to me I didn't really know existed due to Anxiety. My point is.......don't wait! Talk to some one who can help you with Anxiety if you have it. And BE HONEST! Tell them how hard it is for you!!”

brit56 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 15, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: “Hey guys, this medication should be taken in moderation. Seeing reviews with people taking it 5 years + is alarming. This is short term useage and only if you are having symptoms of panic ensuing. Please be light with this. I take 1-1.5mg when needed and it really helps. This isn't a daily thing and if it is for you please seek help.”

Charo · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 12, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “I’m sorry my Dr ever put me on Xanax. It’s a EVIL drug . If your dr puts you on it more than a few weeks your will have a Xanax addiction . It’s not safe . Read up on Xanax. This will be my third relapse it’s not in your mind I almost died twice trying to get off of Xanax my heart stopped 6 times and 5 seizures . Other Benzos are safer . The Drs are at fault not the company Pfizer has a warning no more than two weeks on Xanax.”

lil one · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “I have had severe panic attacks for years. Finally got a doc that prescribed this and wow, it is an amazing medicine. My doctor retired and it seems every doctor now is afraid to prescribe it due to the ones who abuse it. I don't take it daily but my mind stops racing and I can sleep when I use it. I gave it a 9 because of slight drowsiness some mornings.”

Anonymous February 29, 2008

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “I have extreme depression and Anexity- sometimes panic attacks. I have this horrible habit of pulling out my hair- on my head,eyelashes, and other areas excessively. Xanax and Lexapro have made me feel normal- for the first time in years I actually have eyelashes growing in. I don't care what people say about the negative effects of xanax- I persoanlly know I needed it. I feel like the nightmare of my mind has been treated.”

Bently Rose February 19, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: “From 2002-2017 I have been on many different types of medications klonopin, Valium and xanax, not to mention all the psych drugs none that helped until my Dr. realized I had social anxiety and paralyzing panic attacks. By far the the best for not only my depression but my anxiety as well was xanax 2mg. I had to take at least the full bar to ease my anxiety however not only did it help with my fears and anxiety but it helped with my depression which stemmed from my constant panic attacks. It is easily abused however when it's needed it's a savior and can help me get what I need to accomplish done as a mother a wife and a personal trainer/ lifeguard and graduate of Homeland Security and Emergency management which without xanax I wouldn't have”

Myinput February 3, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Tinnitus: “Lifesaving. Was completely nonfunctional before being put on it. I understand the risks but the risks of disabling tinnitus were 1 million times worse. This medicine needs to be studied further as I also agree that severe tinnitus related to sudden sensorineural hearing loss is a brain condition. I tried a million things beforehand (steroids, steroids injected into ear, hyperbaric oxygen, etc.) Xanax saved my life.”

Anonymous April 22, 2008

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: “Xanax saved me during my separation/divorce. We have one child and the realization that I would only see her on weekends destroyed me. I would have panic attacks and anxiety so bad I could not function in life. I lost weight, had nausea, could not sleep or eat and wanted to die. I was prescribed Xanax 0.25mg (the lowest dosage). I take half in the morning and half in the afternoon. Xanax has saved my life, I feel normal, can work, focus, and enjoy the time I do have with my daughter. It works!!”