User Reviews for Alendronate to treat Prevention of Osteoporosis

Also known as: Fosamax, Binosto

Alendronate has an average rating of 2.1 out of 10 from a total of 33 ratings for the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis. 9% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 85% reported a negative effect.

Alendronate Rating Summary

2.1/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Alendronate

Peaches1965 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2013

Fosamax (alendronate): “Started taking June 2013, once a week. 4 weeks into taking started having headaches but didn't connect the dots. Then started having severe sharp pain in back and upper right behind rib cage. Pain so severe, went to ER, where they didn't know the cause (had my gallbladder removed 18 yrs ago). Finally spoke to my primary and the connection was made.”

Bite me 09 March 6, 2017

Fosamax (alendronate): “Honestly the worst medicine ever. People who invented should be sued. I mean what we're they thinking????? It sent my mom to ER after 3 days and she was admitted for 8 days in hospital. She is still recovering. It will give you tons of pain all over your body, head, jaw, and more. It will make you unstable. I mean seriously the inventor of this medicine should be cursed the rest of his or her life. ”

Tish · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2019

Fosamax (alendronate): “I was prescribed Fosamax for osteopenia. I have taken a total of 6 doses. I had no side effects for the first 2 weeks. By the 3rd week extreme fatigue and headaches. I continued for another 3 weeks hoping symptoms would go away. When they didn't I discontinued taking it but a week AFTER I quit I developed severe bone pain, unbearable pain which is worse at night. I am taking arthritis drug to make the days bearable. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS PAIN EVENTUALLY GOES AWAY!! I will be calling my Dr. on Monday.”

Maggie · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate): “I took Fosamax for several months back in 2010 . My scan showed osteopenia. After those months I started to have severe bone pain in both legs .A large amount of my hair also fell out as well . . I stopped the Fosamax . The pain took about 6 months to stop . The hair stopped falling out and after a year returned to normal . Terrible experience .”

Tripnfall · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate): “I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago after cancer treatment. Oncologist recommended Fosamax, but I took oral calcium and D instead. No improvement. I had a fall and suffered a severe mid foot fracture. A moth later another fall, fractured wrist. I started taking the Fosamax a couple months ago. Sometimes difficult to remember to take it before eating. I take the following day. I sit up for 30 minutes after. I have GERD, so I have been taking Pepcid for several years. So far none of the side effects experienced. I am hoping my bones become stronger, scared of falling again.”

redsox · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

Fosamax (alendronate): “Prescribed Fosomax and took only ONE weekly pill and after 2 days I felt deep bone pain in my thigh, like drop you in your tracks pain. For 3 days after I truly thought I would have a thigh fracture - so I quit. Going the supplement route so we will see. If it works for you great-not for me.”

LaVrn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2017

“Give me osteoporosis. Nothing worst than this! I could not get myself to take my weekly dose today. I have been taking Alendronate Sodium 1 month now. I feel so....bad. Today before taking it I decided to read the reviews on it. OMG, I identified with all. I have never had so much pain, bones, joints, jaw, feet, dry mouth and sore eyes. How can a company put out such a product? I am so glad for everyone who posted their reaction for this terrible drug.”

Cat · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2020

“Prescribed Alendronate and I took once a week for 4 weeks. I had side effects of severe joint pain and I could barely walk, did not put it together until I checked out side effects and then stopped taking it.t I old doctor I was also experiencing heart palpitations too, he said do not take any more, been off medication about a week now, have been feeling a pain in upper shoulder blade area, hope this go away soon,I will not take this ever again”

nutmeg May 25, 2020

“9 months from just 2 doses (35 mg/week) and I am finally recovered from the severe arm, hand, and shoulder pain it triggered. A factor in my adverse reaction to alendronate is likely that I was also taking PPI's, which I learned later amplify absorption. After the first dose, I noticed sharp pains in my fingers that came and went. After the second dose, the next day I had severe pain in my right forearm, which grew worse over the next few days. I switched to using my left arm, but then that forearm grew painful, too. (I also had a few cramps in my thigh muscles over the first few days, and some pain in the balls of my feet). Over the next few weeks my forearms slowly improved, but as I started using my arms more, I developed pain in my shoulders and fingers. With rest, everything slowly improved. Believing I was well at 5 months, I carried a heavy bag on my shoulder, which triggered 6 weeks of shoulder pain. Now, at 9 months, I'm finally okay.”

Cindy J · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2020

“I took 35 mg a week for 4 months and started to have ear ache and jaw ache, I stopped as soon as I found out that this is one of the side effects It has been 3 months now since I stop taking the drug but the ear pain and the trouble it caused is still around Stay away from this drug”

Cindy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 28, 2019

“I've taken 70 mg of Alendronate for over 4 years. Luckily, I did not experience any side effects. My bone density 2 years ago showed some improvement, although my doctor felt it should have been better. I had another bone density a month ago and my osteoporosis is worse, so basically I took this medication for nothing. He wants me on Prolia but those side effects really scare me. Guess I will increase exercise regimen to include weights and take a better calcium supplement and see if my bones get stronger that way.”

Anonymous February 27, 2021

“I was taking Alendronate for 6 weeks, I started getting head aches the first day I took them which continued off and on. Lots of stomach & bathroom issues, by 3 week, explosive diarrhea terrible stomach pain. 4 th, 5th, & 6 th pill the joint pains started. Why I stayed on this long still makes me angry. I called my doctor and told him I'm not taking them. Now it has been 4 weeks since my last pill and I was woken up with jaw pain and when I got out of bed I could hardly walk for pain in my left ankle . Why is this stuff not taken off the market , I wish I had never taken it, hopefully side effects will stop soon.”

Penny November 21, 2019

“I took 1 pill. I followed the instructions. It has been 10 days after 1 pill that I am STILL throwing up. My esophagus is raw. My stomach pain and bloating is horrible. Nothing helps. Severe headaches too. I wonder if my stomach is bleeding. I am at risk for that since bleeding ulcers at 19. I also have horrible back pain and pain in the hip bone. I wonder who would make a medicine so awful, that not living just to get away from the side affects would be a relief! Never ever again.”

Retired teach August 30, 2017

“I took one dose of this hideous drug. Within 24 hours I started experiencing horrible hip pain, then shoulder and back. I have been unable to go about my daily duties because I am overcome with pain and fatigue. It is a week today. When will this be out of my system?”

Angela3950 · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

“My bone density test said I had osteopenia so my doc prescribed weekly Fosamax. I took the first pill carefully following instructions to stay upright and no food for 30 minutes. Felt fine until two days later I couldn’t get a deep breath without coughing. Every time I talked, the coughing started. My throat felt like there was something lodged inside. I got a cold sore on my lip and three little sore spots on the roof of my mouth. Took my second pill the next week. Felt like throwing up, the coughing still constant and developed the worst headache. Went to the doctor the next day, diagnosing me with acid reflux and to stop take Fosamax ‘for now’. If I ever feel better, I’m not interested in going through this again.”

GEB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2019

“I had a horrible side effects with Fosamax as well, shortly after I started the taking it I was having a lot of back pain then I started felt sick to my stomach and dead tired, had no energy at, I could barely get off the couch. I followed the instructions to a T as prescribed by my physician and pharmacy. I was tired for almost a month and after which time I spoke to my pharmacist about my side effects and she recommended I talk to my Dr about switching to Risedronate, which I did and he wrote a script for it so I started it by the afternoon my thighs hurt so bad I could hardly walk, it was almost like it attacked my muscles or something. I spoke to my pharmacist again and told her what was happening and she said that I was having side effects that may or may not go away. So between myself and my husband and my pharmacist we decided it was not worth what I was going through. This was 2 years ago and to this day I still have muscle/bone pain in my thighs!! Worst drug ever!!!”

dana · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2020

“19 hours after first dose stomach pain, chills, body aches so bad could not sit in a chair. Fortunate I was home to lie in bed all day. Following day woke with jaw aching and all day teeth/gum soreness. I will not be taking a second dose. I wish I never took the first. Scary medicine.”

Candi · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2018

“Took the once weekly pill for eight weeks. My quality of life is still suffering three months later. After eating, I become nauseous and vomit at least twice a day. Bone pain, jaw pain, dental issues (never had before), excruciating heartburn and indigestion, and an overall sickly feeling rounds out my symptoms. Stay away from this toxic medicine!!”

Rubix · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2018

“I was in pretty good shape working out 3 to 4 days a week, never really having any bone problems. My doctor prescribed Alendronate sodium for me supposedly to prevent osteoporosis because I am taking prednisone. I took it twice as instructed. By that night I felt some pains. Through the night it got worse, but figured it would settle down. OMG !! That next day , I felt like a can that was being crushed. I felt like I was going to be paralyzed from my right arm, through my hip , in my groin area, and my right shin and leg was numb and still is. My right side still hurts after 5 months or more. Spent a whole day in the emergency room where the same doctor was on duty. The doctor tried to say it seemed like it was my back nerve. Barely gave me anything for the pain. I stay in pain. I need a attorney about this because my insurance will not pay for an MRI . AND Though it's not as bad I believe it has caused permanent damage ”

adjrean · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2018

“After 1 month of taking 35 mg of Alendronate, once a week, I had extremely severe constipation. Usually, eating salads and whole grain cereals keep me regular, but this constipation did not respond to any of those measures. I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with osteopaenia. I've received this same diagnoses for about 10 years. So far, exercising and a calcium supplement were apparently enough. A drug that makes me too sick to exercise seems counter-productive.”

Char324 August 22, 2017

“I started taking Alendronate 70 mg pill as prescribed. The next morning I woke up with severe heartburn and belching. Then I started feeling the urge to vomit. All I could bring up was phlegm and a foamy liquid. I had a very bad acidly taste in my mouth. I finally called my doctor and was told to stop taking the Alendronate and stay on a clear liquid diet. My joints hurt, my jawbone and teeth hurt, back pain and severe indigestion. After 6 hours I was still vomiting. My doctor prescribed Zofran to calm my stomach. I started feeling better so tried eating. It's been 5 days and I'm still having indigestion after eating and pain in my feet and hands. I hope this nasty medicine is out of my system soon!”

Rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

“After my second stress fracture in a foot I started taking this, 70 mg a week. Initially I had some issues with restless legs but that went away. After about 3 weeks I started to get some bloating. The bloating is now worse than before I stopped eating gluten. I took it for 7 weeks, but now I'm done.”

misk · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

“I've been taking Armidex for breast cancer five years and it caused Osteopenia. I was prescribed generic Fosamax. I've been taking it only a month and each week I feel worse. Gas pain chest pain and I feel like I have a cold but I don't. I just feel really bad. I hope to talk to Doctor soon so tired of feeling sick and tired everyday.”

Chris R. Royston · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 3, 2018

“ Doc put me on this scam by this company. because a health fair portable scanner showed pre-osteoporosis (osteopenia), had full bone scan, same thing. I've been on it 1.5 yrs and fortunately did not have the side affects most others noted. Went to see an orthopedic surgeon for another issue and I mentioned this drug and my Dx. He said STOP TAKING IT!!! He said my bone density is normal for someone my age (67 male). He said his wifes T-Score is worse than mine but she doesn't need to be on it, and in fact should NOT be on it, and that I just need to get calcium through food, and vitamin D. Turns out that the drug companies had a drug without a Dx, so they basically created a Dx and cheap scanners for the Dr. office to sell this drug. He referred me to research done by NPR - I urge you to read it: google how-a-bone-disease-grew-to-fit-the-prescription. Good luck with what you decide to do, I wont be taking any more of this drug.”

Jmizz2017 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 13, 2018

“I too, took this drug to help strengthen my bones, for just a little over a year. I thought it was great, it was gonna help. Well it was just the opposite. I suffered a spontaneous fracture of my left femur. Never felt pain like that in my life. After inserting the 18 inch or more rod in the femur, I had to miss work to go to a rehab for 3 weeks. This is one drug I will never recommend to anyone...”