User Reviews for Alendronate

Prevention of Osteoporosis
2.4

Summary of Alendronate reviews 3.1 42 reviews

Reviews for Alendronate

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Took the once weekly pill for eight weeks. My quality of life is still suffering three months later. After eating, I become nauseous and vomit at least twice a day. Bone pain, jaw pain, dental issues (never had before), excruciating heartburn and indigestion, and an overall sickly feeling rounds out my symptoms. Stay away from this toxic medicine!!"

Candi (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I was in pretty good shape working out 3 to 4 days a week, never really having any bone problems. My doctor prescribed Alendronate sodium for me supposedly to prevent osteoporosis because I am taking prednisone. I took it twice as instructed. By that night I felt some pains. Through the night it got worse, but figured it would settle down. OMG !! That next day , I felt like a can that was being crushed. I felt like I was going to be paralyzed from my right arm, through my hip , in my groin area, and my right shin and leg was numb and still is. My right side still hurts after 5 months or more. Spent a whole day in the emergency room where the same doctor was on duty. The doctor tried to say it seemed like it was my back nerve. Barely gave me anything for the pain. I stay in pain. I need a attorney about this because my insurance will not pay for an MRI . AND Though it's not as bad I believe it has caused permanent damage "

Rubix (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I was put on fosamax once a week pill doctor said it would take 2 years to find out whether it was working or not. I stopped taking it after almost 1 full year I would take it on Wednesdays and my legs would ache so bad that I could hardly walk the stairs, those aches would last just about the whole time before the next pill I couldn't take it anymore."

donner July 11, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "Was on alendronate for nearly 13 years . From 2004 to April 2017 . Suffered back pain and hip pain . Had several bone density scans each time . It recommended I stay on the drug . Then in 2016 . I got out the shower , but my weight on my leg to reach the towel . My leg went from under me . I fell backwards Back into shower cubicle . Broke my right fumer and in the fall also broke left ankle . Was in hospital 3 weeks and rehab for 4 weeks . In April 2017 . I went for a check up . To be told it was most likely the drug that had caused the break . Due to being on them to long , as they can have opposite effect if taken long term . No one ever told me this ! If anyone is thinking of starting on this drug . Please please get advice first . If I knew what I know now , I would never have taken it"

San (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "After taking it for seven weeks had to make an appointment with my Dr because I was in so much pain. The first thing my Dr told me. Was to stop taking it. Not realizing the pain was from taking Alendronate. I've been off of it for three months now. Although the pain is better, I'm still in pain. Sometimes I forget about my pain and try to quickly jump up from the sitting position and surprisingly, almost falling down. That's how bad my joints hurt when I move. My fingers and feet are constantly sore. My collar bone, tops of my thighs, and inside of my knees hurt when I move too and sometimes my wrist."

Breezy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "The low dose (10 mgs) a day raised my blood pressure sky high starting with the first day of use. My cardiologist recommended stopping the drug and when I did, the B/P came down to normal the next day after stopping this drug."

Jerry Nelson (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I took Fosamax for 5 years after having chemo and radiation for breast cancer with no problems. Now 15 years later I have brittle bone disease. My doctor prescribed Prolia but the side effects turned me off taking that and my pharmacist recommended taking Fosamax again to see if it works. I've only been on it for a month and so far no noticeable side effects that others have felt. I've always tolerated medicine well, I guess. Must be because I grew up in a drug store with the local doctor being best friends with my father!"

Oma (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Very painful mouth sores that take a week to clear up. The sores move around the mouth but do not bleed or ooze any bodily fluid. Miserable"

Newton March 14, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I too, took this drug to help strengthen my bones, for just a little over a year. I thought it was great, it was gonna help. Well it was just the opposite. I suffered a spontaneous fracture of my left femur. Never felt pain like that in my life. After inserting the 18 inch or more rod in the femur, I had to miss work to go to a rehab for 3 weeks. This is one drug I will never recommend to anyone..."

Jmizz2017 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 13, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "I was prescribed this medication by my rheumatologist for osteoporosis. (I have RA) During the first few months I noticed bloating and some random aches but it was minor. Now 4 months in I have gained 16lbs, I get random jolts of pain in my head, knees and hands. Sometimes light sensitive and have a thickness in my throat. My finger nails keep splitting and peeling and I feel dizzy (vertigo symptoms) and tired. I will not be continuing this and will speak to my PCP about increasing calcium and vitamin D instead."

Ms Laura O February 12, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: " Doc put me on this scam by this company. because a health fair portable scanner showed pre-osteoporosis (osteopenia), had full bone scan, same thing. I've been on it 1.5 yrs and fortunately did not have the side affects most others noted. Went to see an orthopedic surgeon for another issue and I mentioned this drug and my Dx. He said STOP TAKING IT!!! He said my bone density is normal for someone my age (67 male). He said his wifes T-Score is worse than mine but she doesn't need to be on it, and in fact should NOT be on it, and that I just need to get calcium through food, and vitamin D. Turns out that the drug companies had a drug without a Dx, so they basically created a Dx and cheap scanners for the Dr. office to sell this drug. He referred me to research done by NPR - I urge you to read it: google how-a-bone-disease-grew-to-fit-the-prescription. Good luck with what you decide to do, I wont be taking any more of this drug."

Chris R. Royston (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "I have osteoporosis in my left hip, My doctor prescribed alendronate I took it 4 weeks the 2nd day I started having and continue to have hip, back, arm and leg pains. I did not have any pain before the meds. I went back to the doctor he said my side effects were not normal and to keep trying for 4 more weeks.. I have not continued it, I see no reason to continue something that has only caused me intense pain. I have a very high tolerance for pain but I hurt all the time now. I exercise by walking 2+ miles every day, it is helping but if I miss a day the pain is twice as bad again. I do not want to see or even think about of what another 4 weeks would do to my body."

Shirl8456!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017

For Osteoporosis: "After taking alendronate for 1 year my pelvis fractured suddenly. I was not doing any strenuous activity. Everyone insisted that I must have done something to cause this. The orthopedic surgeon who saw me in the hospital told me it was the alendronate medication and told me not to take it anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I took one dose of this hideous drug. Within 24 hours I started experiencing horrible hip pain, then shoulder and back. I have been unable to go about my daily duties because I am overcome with pain and fatigue. It is a week today. When will this be out of my system?"

Retired teach August 30, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I started taking Alendronate 70 mg pill as prescribed. The next morning I woke up with severe heartburn and belching. Then I started feeling the urge to vomit. All I could bring up was phlegm and a foamy liquid. I had a very bad acidly taste in my mouth. I finally called my doctor and was told to stop taking the Alendronate and stay on a clear liquid diet. My joints hurt, my jawbone and teeth hurt, back pain and severe indigestion. After 6 hours I was still vomiting. My doctor prescribed Zofran to calm my stomach. I started feeling better so tried eating. It's been 5 days and I'm still having indigestion after eating and pain in my feet and hands. I hope this nasty medicine is out of my system soon!"

Char324 August 22, 2017

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "Unfortunately, after being on Fosamax for 2 years, experienced all the typical reported side effects from other users. Thought, ok need to deal with that, if it is going to help my osteoporosis. Well, to my surprise, bent over to pick up a hose and my entire leg went out right from underneath me just like that, I had fractured my femur. Have an 18 inch rod in my leg with a 4 1/2 inch Home Depot screw in my hip. That was just the start of it. Have had 5 fractures since in 2 years. Had 1 shot of Prolia (insurance requirements) now on Forteo, once a day injections, don't care, hope that will bring some improvement for a better quality of life."

Anonymous April 10, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Give me osteoporosis. Nothing worst than this! I could not get myself to take my weekly dose today. I have been taking Alendronate Sodium 1 month now. I feel so....bad. Today before taking it I decided to read the reviews on it. OMG, I identified with all. I have never had so much pain, bones, joints, jaw, feet, dry mouth and sore eyes. How can a company put out such a product? I am so glad for everyone who posted their reaction for this terrible drug."

LaVrn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

For Osteoporosis: "Doctor prescribed 70 MG Alendronate weekly for pre-osteporisis. I also have a compressed disc in my lower back causing chronic back pain for 30 years which was being controlled by Naprosyn (Anti inflamatory). After 3 doses of Alendronate I am bedridden with severe lower back pain. Pain is so bad I am now on morphine. Haven't talked to my doctor yet but the hospital ER Dr / Pharmacist said there aren't indications that Alendronate can cause such severe pain after taking 3 weekly doses. Seems to me there are others having severe side effects like mine within a few days or weeks of starting the medication? Please let me know if you have, thank you."

Ken2017 April 2, 2017

For Osteoporosis: "Nausea... Headaches... Sticks in my throat...and sours in my stomach Cramps with joint pains Carpel tunnel from my shoulders down my arms. Cramps on my chest, hands,arms, legs and feet I started taking it because I was hurting from osteoporosis Now I am hurting from taking this drug. Vitamins D and calcium would have been the answer, but Dr.s get paid to push this medication on their patients."

Horrible drug (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2017

Fosamax (alendronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Honestly the worst medicine ever. People who invented should be sued. I mean what we're they thinking????? It sent my mom to ER after 3 days and she was admitted for 8 days in hospital. She is still recovering. It will give you tons of pain all over your body, head, jaw, and more. It will make you unstable. I mean seriously the inventor of this medicine should be cursed the rest of his or her life. "

Bite me 09 March 6, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Joint pain, back pain, involuntary jerking, swelling, thinning hair, constant in pain."

Patches89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2017

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I agree all drugs have side effects but fosamax is dangerous. My mom has been taking it since last 2 weeks and from that time she has been having all sorts of pain, discomfort which she never had before. Doctor said they will eventually go away but she ended up hospitalized with severe pain in jaw, chest, neck , in short every where. I don't know why this medicine is even in the market."

No to fosamax February 21, 2017

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "This medication created a terrible fracture to my femur after 4 years of taking it. I am a relatively healthy 75-year-old female. I am now in a great deal of pain and in rehab after having a rod placed in my shattered femur. I am sorry I ever took this medication, and have stopped taking it."

Kellyirene (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

For Osteoporosis: "Alendronate/death Doctor prescribed this for my 91 year old mother against my objections. My mother was in excellent health until this medication was prescribed. I stated my objections several times regarding this medication. I related recent incidences of falls and no bone breaks. ( She had fallen several times, once off a ladder onto concrete...only bruised. Another time slipped off step, sprained ankle. The er doc said she had great looking bones.)Also, my mother repeatedly told the doctor she had memory/cognition issues which were documented in her chart. The doctor insisted. Ten days later my mother died. She misread the directions and didn't remember the doctors directions. She took one pill daily instead of one weekly."

Alijan (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

For Osteoporosis: "Alendronate70mg once a wk for 5 wks. Startd feeling very sick. Bad abdominal pain..heartburn..extreme nausea..feel like vomitting. Horrible pains in left thigh. Weird feeling in throat. Headaches daily. Bloated feeling. Abdominal pains everytime I eat and hunger pains extreme. Just total overall sick feeling. Went to ER..Ultrasound fine. Gastro set up appt for upper GI. Hoping ulcer wasn't form or any other damage.Hoping this pill will get outa system soon. Can not handle feeling nauseous all the time. Will never take this pill again. Input?"

Ry106 May 13, 2016