User Reviews for Alendronate

Prevention of Osteoporosis
2.3

Summary of Alendronate reviews 2.8 50 reviews

Reviews for Alendronate

For Osteoporosis: "I took once a week Fosamax for three weeks. Starting after the second dose I developed heart palpitations severe enough to put me in the ER. Also severe back muscle spasms that pain medications could not control. Doctor does not suspect a correlation but after reading reviews and researching in depth, I believe it is more than coincidence and I stopped taking it. If I had known that Fosamax has a half life of TEN YEARS - yes 10 years for half of it to be out of your body!!!! I would not have ever taken it. I thought that I could just try it and stop if I had bad side effects and they would go away but evidently the heart issues and pain issues could continue for months or years."

Fed up (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

For Osteoporosis: "My wife started taking alendronate 70mg tablet once a week for four weeks. After one week started having stomach pain. Saw her DR. after fourth week with back pain, stomach pain, leg pain and discomfort in one eye. She is no longer on this drug and I don't think it should be prescribed. There are others products on the market for osteoporosis and will not have her take those either. My wife now uses a walker and was very active before . I wish I had researched this drug prior to her taking it. Lesson learned. Stay away from this drug."

DEETS June 6, 2019

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "After taking Fosamax for a couple of years, I developed bizarre heart arrhythmia. Rhythm was good while exercising, but horribly uneven when sitting/resting. Stopped taking Fosamax after seeing attorney's add on TV. Heart rhythm was fine after I stopped taking Fosamax."

Tess (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2019

For Osteoporosis: "I'm speaking for my mother, she took 3 pills, 1 per week of 70 mg fosmax and now she is experiencing severe hip and groin pain along with some pressure in one of her eyes. She stopped it cold turkey and we are hopeful that there are no long term effects. She wasn't even in this severe pain to begin with!!! My mother is 80 years old and felt way better 3 weeks ago before she started. Now we have to wait to see if things get better!!"

Birdie March 18, 2019

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "Took Fosamax for 4 months and go terrible side effects such as pain in my knees, in my hips, shin, foot. Th pain is not always in the same place. Could not sleep anymore. Painkillers did not help. Got so bad that I hardly could walk. Stopped taking Fosamax and slowly I am feeling better"

Not happy March 13, 2019

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I had a horrible side effects with Fosamax as well, shortly after I started the taking it I was having a lot of back pain then I started felt sick to my stomach and dead tired, had no energy at, I could barely get off the couch. I followed the instructions to a T as prescribed by my physician and pharmacy. I was tired for almost a month and after which time I spoke to my pharmacist about my side effects and she recommended I talk to my Dr about switching to Risedronate, which I did and he wrote a script for it so I started it by the afternoon my thighs hurt so bad I could hardly walk, it was almost like it attacked my muscles or something. I spoke to my pharmacist again and told her what was happening and she said that I was having side effects that may or may not go away. So between myself and my husband and my pharmacist we decided it was not worth what I was going through. This was 2 years ago and to this day I still have muscle/bone pain in my thighs!! Worst drug ever!!!"

GEB (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2019

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "Took fosamax for brief time 8 yrs ago. Had to have tooth pulled and root canal. Developed NICO (Neuralgia-Inducing Cavitational Osteonecrosis) Jaw bone disease. Had surgery to scrape out dead bone and donor cells put in. Worse pain ever. Now it's been 8 yrs. of terrific burning pain. No Dr. Or dentist can help. Pain meds do nothing. Now I have full blow OP. They are pushing me to take these terrible drugs. I already have the worse side affects. Do i? No! Please if anyone had this let me know. Good luck."

Susie (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "After 1 month of taking 35 mg of Alendronate, once a week, I had extremely severe constipation. Usually, eating salads and whole grain cereals keep me regular, but this constipation did not respond to any of those measures. I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with osteopaenia. I've received this same diagnoses for about 10 years. So far, exercising and a calcium supplement were apparently enough. A drug that makes me too sick to exercise seems counter-productive."

adjrean (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Took the once weekly pill for eight weeks. My quality of life is still suffering three months later. After eating, I become nauseous and vomit at least twice a day. Bone pain, jaw pain, dental issues (never had before), excruciating heartburn and indigestion, and an overall sickly feeling rounds out my symptoms. Stay away from this toxic medicine!!"

Candi (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I was in pretty good shape working out 3 to 4 days a week, never really having any bone problems. My doctor prescribed Alendronate sodium for me supposedly to prevent osteoporosis because I am taking prednisone. I took it twice as instructed. By that night I felt some pains. Through the night it got worse, but figured it would settle down. OMG !! That next day , I felt like a can that was being crushed. I felt like I was going to be paralyzed from my right arm, through my hip , in my groin area, and my right shin and leg was numb and still is. My right side still hurts after 5 months or more. Spent a whole day in the emergency room where the same doctor was on duty. The doctor tried to say it seemed like it was my back nerve. Barely gave me anything for the pain. I stay in pain. I need a attorney about this because my insurance will not pay for an MRI . AND Though it's not as bad I believe it has caused permanent damage "

Rubix (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I was put on fosamax once a week pill doctor said it would take 2 years to find out whether it was working or not. I stopped taking it after almost 1 full year I would take it on Wednesdays and my legs would ache so bad that I could hardly walk the stairs, those aches would last just about the whole time before the next pill I couldn't take it anymore."

donner July 11, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "Was on alendronate for nearly 13 years . From 2004 to April 2017 . Suffered back pain and hip pain . Had several bone density scans each time . It recommended I stay on the drug . Then in 2016 . I got out the shower , but my weight on my leg to reach the towel . My leg went from under me . I fell backwards Back into shower cubicle . Broke my right fumer and in the fall also broke left ankle . Was in hospital 3 weeks and rehab for 4 weeks . In April 2017 . I went for a check up . To be told it was most likely the drug that had caused the break . Due to being on them to long , as they can have opposite effect if taken long term . No one ever told me this ! If anyone is thinking of starting on this drug . Please please get advice first . If I knew what I know now , I would never have taken it"

San (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "After taking it for seven weeks had to make an appointment with my Dr because I was in so much pain. The first thing my Dr told me. Was to stop taking it. Not realizing the pain was from taking Alendronate. I've been off of it for three months now. Although the pain is better, I'm still in pain. Sometimes I forget about my pain and try to quickly jump up from the sitting position and surprisingly, almost falling down. That's how bad my joints hurt when I move. My fingers and feet are constantly sore. My collar bone, tops of my thighs, and inside of my knees hurt when I move too and sometimes my wrist."

Breezy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "The low dose (10 mgs) a day raised my blood pressure sky high starting with the first day of use. My cardiologist recommended stopping the drug and when I did, the B/P came down to normal the next day after stopping this drug."

Jerry Nelson (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I took Fosamax for 5 years after having chemo and radiation for breast cancer with no problems. Now 15 years later I have brittle bone disease. My doctor prescribed Prolia but the side effects turned me off taking that and my pharmacist recommended taking Fosamax again to see if it works. I've only been on it for a month and so far no noticeable side effects that others have felt. I've always tolerated medicine well, I guess. Must be because I grew up in a drug store with the local doctor being best friends with my father!"

Oma (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Very painful mouth sores that take a week to clear up. The sores move around the mouth but do not bleed or ooze any bodily fluid. Miserable"

Newton March 14, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I too, took this drug to help strengthen my bones, for just a little over a year. I thought it was great, it was gonna help. Well it was just the opposite. I suffered a spontaneous fracture of my left femur. Never felt pain like that in my life. After inserting the 18 inch or more rod in the femur, I had to miss work to go to a rehab for 3 weeks. This is one drug I will never recommend to anyone..."

Jmizz2017 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 13, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "I was prescribed this medication by my rheumatologist for osteoporosis. (I have RA) During the first few months I noticed bloating and some random aches but it was minor. Now 4 months in I have gained 16lbs, I get random jolts of pain in my head, knees and hands. Sometimes light sensitive and have a thickness in my throat. My finger nails keep splitting and peeling and I feel dizzy (vertigo symptoms) and tired. I will not be continuing this and will speak to my PCP about increasing calcium and vitamin D instead."

Ms Laura O February 12, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: " Doc put me on this scam by this company. because a health fair portable scanner showed pre-osteoporosis (osteopenia), had full bone scan, same thing. I've been on it 1.5 yrs and fortunately did not have the side affects most others noted. Went to see an orthopedic surgeon for another issue and I mentioned this drug and my Dx. He said STOP TAKING IT!!! He said my bone density is normal for someone my age (67 male). He said his wifes T-Score is worse than mine but she doesn't need to be on it, and in fact should NOT be on it, and that I just need to get calcium through food, and vitamin D. Turns out that the drug companies had a drug without a Dx, so they basically created a Dx and cheap scanners for the Dr. office to sell this drug. He referred me to research done by NPR - I urge you to read it: google how-a-bone-disease-grew-to-fit-the-prescription. Good luck with what you decide to do, I wont be taking any more of this drug."

Chris R. Royston (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "I have osteoporosis in my left hip, My doctor prescribed alendronate I took it 4 weeks the 2nd day I started having and continue to have hip, back, arm and leg pains. I did not have any pain before the meds. I went back to the doctor he said my side effects were not normal and to keep trying for 4 more weeks.. I have not continued it, I see no reason to continue something that has only caused me intense pain. I have a very high tolerance for pain but I hurt all the time now. I exercise by walking 2+ miles every day, it is helping but if I miss a day the pain is twice as bad again. I do not want to see or even think about of what another 4 weeks would do to my body."

Shirl8456!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017

For Osteoporosis: "After taking alendronate for 1 year my pelvis fractured suddenly. I was not doing any strenuous activity. Everyone insisted that I must have done something to cause this. The orthopedic surgeon who saw me in the hospital told me it was the alendronate medication and told me not to take it anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I took one dose of this hideous drug. Within 24 hours I started experiencing horrible hip pain, then shoulder and back. I have been unable to go about my daily duties because I am overcome with pain and fatigue. It is a week today. When will this be out of my system?"

Retired teach August 30, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I started taking Alendronate 70 mg pill as prescribed. The next morning I woke up with severe heartburn and belching. Then I started feeling the urge to vomit. All I could bring up was phlegm and a foamy liquid. I had a very bad acidly taste in my mouth. I finally called my doctor and was told to stop taking the Alendronate and stay on a clear liquid diet. My joints hurt, my jawbone and teeth hurt, back pain and severe indigestion. After 6 hours I was still vomiting. My doctor prescribed Zofran to calm my stomach. I started feeling better so tried eating. It's been 5 days and I'm still having indigestion after eating and pain in my feet and hands. I hope this nasty medicine is out of my system soon!"

Char324 August 22, 2017

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "Unfortunately, after being on Fosamax for 2 years, experienced all the typical reported side effects from other users. Thought, ok need to deal with that, if it is going to help my osteoporosis. Well, to my surprise, bent over to pick up a hose and my entire leg went out right from underneath me just like that, I had fractured my femur. Have an 18 inch rod in my leg with a 4 1/2 inch Home Depot screw in my hip. That was just the start of it. Have had 5 fractures since in 2 years. Had 1 shot of Prolia (insurance requirements) now on Forteo, once a day injections, don't care, hope that will bring some improvement for a better quality of life."

Anonymous April 10, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Give me osteoporosis. Nothing worst than this! I could not get myself to take my weekly dose today. I have been taking Alendronate Sodium 1 month now. I feel so....bad. Today before taking it I decided to read the reviews on it. OMG, I identified with all. I have never had so much pain, bones, joints, jaw, feet, dry mouth and sore eyes. How can a company put out such a product? I am so glad for everyone who posted their reaction for this terrible drug."

LaVrn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017