User Reviews for Alendronate

Also known as: Fosamax, Binosto

Alendronate has an average rating of 2.2 out of 10 from a total of 110 ratings on Drugs.com. 12% of those users who reviewed Alendronate reported a positive effect, while 84% reported a negative effect.

Osteoporosis   2.3
Prevention of Osteoporosis   2.1
Summary of Alendronate reviews 2.2 110 reviews

Reviews for Alendronate

Tooth March 3, 2021

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: “I was put on this med and within one month my teeth started to fall out in a slow sad way, my pain became worse as well as my body muscles deteriorated, but I kept taking this medication, why?”

Anonymous February 27, 2021

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I was taking Alendronate for 6 weeks, I started getting head aches the first day I took them which continued off and on. Lots of stomach & bathroom issues, by 3 week, explosive diarrhea terrible stomach pain. 4 th, 5th, & 6 th pill the joint pains started. Why I stayed on this long still makes me angry. I called my doctor and told him I'm not taking them. Now it has been 4 weeks since my last pill and I was woken up with jaw pain and when I got out of bed I could hardly walk for pain in my left ankle . Why is this stuff not taken off the market , I wish I had never taken it, hopefully side effects will stop soon.”

Jl · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I took 2 doses of generic Fosamax a week apart, August 2nd and 9th. I have been in pain ever since. Now I’m having injections in my back, hip, and next will be my sacrum in a effort to try and stop the pain and find the origin. Prior to taking this stuff I had NO pain and now I feel like I’m becoming disabled. Sitting here in pain now, waiting for my appointment in 8 days to discuss the next step. I’m so tired of this.”

Snickerdoodle · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I have been on alendronate for almost 5 years. I have had back pain and I’ve had undiagnosed stomach issues for three years. After reading some of these reviews I wonder if it’s related to the Alendronate. I have just sent my doctor a message about getting off of it. My mother does take Prolia shot twice a year and her bone density actually increased and she has no side effects from that.”

redsox · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

Fosamax (alendronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Prescribed Fosomax and took only ONE weekly pill and after 2 days I felt deep bone pain in my thigh, like drop you in your tracks pain. For 3 days after I truly thought I would have a thigh fracture - so I quit. Going the supplement route so we will see. If it works for you great-not for me.”

Shamsi · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Please don't take fosamax more than 2 years. My shaft femors were broken during 2 years, and I had hard operation 7 days ago. It was very bad side affect of fosamax. I am very sad because of taking this drug more than 2 years, just be careful.”

Charlotte December 19, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I have been using alendronate. (Generic for Fosamax) for 1 year and 6 months, I have now stop using it because I've been having severe lower back pain, also in my hips, legs and knees. The pain was so bad it woke me up out of a dead sleep. I will tell my Doctor on my next appointment I am hoping that after a while the pain will stop.”

Fred · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: “After taking Fosamax for two months I started experiencing terrible indigestion, GERD, stomach pain and intestinal swelling. It felt like I was 8 months pregnant. My doctor told me to stop. 6 months later the symptoms have eased but still present. I fear it has given me gastric ulcers.”

dana · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “19 hours after first dose stomach pain, chills, body aches so bad could not sit in a chair. Fortunate I was home to lie in bed all day. Following day woke with jaw aching and all day teeth/gum soreness. I will not be taking a second dose. I wish I never took the first. Scary medicine.”

Princessfiona911 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 24, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I have taken alendronate for three years. Zero side effects. Sad news, no improvement. Great news, didn’t get worse. Doctor wants to switch me to a twice a year shot. Thankful it didn’t get worse. Sad it didn’t improve.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I took alendronate for osteoporosis for about a year. I just moved into osteopenia. The Alendronate worked! I don't have to take this drug anymore. I am on 1200 mg calcium and 800 IU vitamin D. I didn't notice any side effects.”

Aglowlady · Taken for 10 years or more November 18, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I’ve been taking Alendronic Acid since 2009. Had a break for 3 years (2016- 2019) which caused an increase of bone loss so I restarted it. 3 and a half weeks ago I had sudden onset of upper left abdominal pain. The doc wanted to prescribe a PPI which could bring other problems. So I’m seeing another doc to discuss the probability that Fosamax is causing my pain. I have an appointment in Dec, with the osteoporosis team to discuss a different medication.”

Tropico · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: “Used it twice. Stopped taking it. I can't recommend it. My doctor prescribed it because I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. First dose was very bad. Diarrhea, stomach pain like ulcers, very tired. Second dose was even worse. Diarrhea SEVERE stomach cramps, I thought of going to the hospital. Joint pains in my ankle and knee. Do NOT use if you have any stomach problems. It feels like it is damaging, eating the stomach lining. Very scary experience.”

Just me · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I took alendronate once a week for osteoporosis! After six weeks I simply had to quit....it was a matter of quality of life! I developed pain in my sciatica that was so severe that I was in pain most of the time! Walking was often impossible! Scale of 1 to 10.... 10 being the worst pain......I hit that most everyday! Would not recommend this to anyone!”

Cindy J · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I took 35 mg a week for 4 months and started to have ear ache and jaw ache, I stopped as soon as I found out that this is one of the side effects It has been 3 months now since I stop taking the drug but the ear pain and the trouble it caused is still around Stay away from this drug”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Fosamax gave me absolutely shocking joint pain & diarrhoea all the time.”

ARhoHo · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: “I started on Fosamax in mid-July 2020 and after the third dose, two mornings later my left wrist was swollen to the size of a baseball! I discontinued the Fosamax since I believed it was the cause. My family doc didn't think so, but I saw a rheumatologist who concurred with me. He thought Fosamax caused the swelling. I'm now trying Actonel. I hope I have better luck with it.”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 18, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: “Used Fosamax for two years and my bone density declined and was worse than when I started the drug.”

Jenjen · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: “Doctor prescribed Fosamax for my osteoporosis to be taken once a week. Started taking it and after second dose my legs felt like lead and I felt irritable and depressed. Persisted for another 3 weeks until I developed terrible skin rash and weeping sores. Saw my doctor who took me off Fosamax immediately. I will continue with Calcium and Vitamin D3 and continue to exercise and eat healthy. Side effects of Fosamax are not worth the risk.”

Cindy · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I took my first dose of alendronate this week. I had severe diarrhea, and it came with no warning-- almost exactly 8 hours after taking the medication. I am glad I was at home when it happened. This was nearly like prepping for a colonoscopy. I hope my second week is not a repeat performance.”

Kathy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I began alendronate after breaking my pelvis. Bone density showed osteoporosis. I began having constant coughing and shortness of breath. Doctors do not believe it's connected. I feel terrible and want off of it.”

nutmeg May 25, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “9 months from just 2 doses (35 mg/week) and I am finally recovered from the severe arm, hand, and shoulder pain it triggered. A factor in my adverse reaction to alendronate is likely that I was also taking PPI's, which I learned later amplify absorption. After the first dose, I noticed sharp pains in my fingers that came and went. After the second dose, the next day I had severe pain in my right forearm, which grew worse over the next few days. I switched to using my left arm, but then that forearm grew painful, too. (I also had a few cramps in my thigh muscles over the first few days, and some pain in the balls of my feet). Over the next few weeks my forearms slowly improved, but as I started using my arms more, I developed pain in my shoulders and fingers. With rest, everything slowly improved. Believing I was well at 5 months, I carried a heavy bag on my shoulder, which triggered 6 weeks of shoulder pain. Now, at 9 months, I'm finally okay.”

Tripnfall · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

Fosamax (alendronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago after cancer treatment. Oncologist recommended Fosamax, but I took oral calcium and D instead. No improvement. I had a fall and suffered a severe mid foot fracture. A moth later another fall, fractured wrist. I started taking the Fosamax a couple months ago. Sometimes difficult to remember to take it before eating. I take the following day. I sit up for 30 minutes after. I have GERD, so I have been taking Pepcid for several years. So far none of the side effects experienced. I am hoping my bones become stronger, scared of falling again.”

hev548 May 7, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I started the alendronic acid 3 weeks ago every Monday 70 mg Reluctantly .. I’ve never had such excruciating pain I feel like screaming at night . My pain was my knee . Now it’s from my hip to my toes in agony . I was used to having days in pain 2/3 days but no were near this agony . It’s took me 3 weeks of research to see it’s this medication .. gone , I’m never taking again .”

Mary · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I had taken 6 doses of Fosamax. Every week intense stomach pain. After 6th dose woke up I’m the middle of the night with vertigo. Paramedics suggested going to the ER to rule out a stoke. I’ve ruled Fosamax out of my life. I subsequently saw orthopedic doc for another issue. I asked him what he thought about Fosamax and what happened to me. He said if I can’t tolerate it stop it. Get back out and run/walk daily. It’s taken me 3 months to see that the stomach pain subsiding. And back out there running up to 4 miles . Never felt better.”