User Reviews for Alendronate

Also known as: Binosto, Fosamax

Learn more about Alendronate.

Osteoporosis 16 reviews 151 medications

4.4
Prevention of Osteoporosis 8 reviews 63 medications

3.3
Summary of Alendronate reviews 24 reviews 3.8

Reviews for Alendronate

For Osteoporosis: "Nausea... Headaches... Sticks in my throat...and sours in my stomach Cramps with joint pains Carpel tunnel from my shoulders down my arms. Cramps on my chest, hands,arms, legs and feet I started taking it because I was hurting from osteoporosis Now I am hurting from taking this drug. Vitamins D and calcium would have been the answer, but Dr.s get paid to push this medication on their patients."

Horrible drug (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Honestly the worst medicine ever. People who invented should be sued. I mean what we're they thinking????? It sent my mom to ER after 3 days and she was admitted for 8 days in hospital. She is still recovering. It will give you tons of pain all over your body, head, jaw, and more. It will make you unstable. I mean seriously the inventor of this medicine should be cursed the rest of his or her life. "

Bite me 09 March 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Joint pain, back pain, involuntary jerking, swelling, thinning hair, constant in pain."

Patches89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I agree all drugs have side effects but fosamax is dangerous. My mom has been taking it since last 2 weeks and from that time she has been having all sorts of pain, discomfort which she never had before. Doctor said they will eventually go away but she ended up hospitalized with severe pain in jaw, chest, neck , in short every where. I don't know why this medicine is even in the market."

No to fosamax February 21, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "This medication created a terrible fracture to my femur after 4 years of taking it. I am a relatively healthy 75-year-old female. I am now in a great deal of pain and in rehab after having a rod placed in my shattered femur. I am sorry I ever took this medication, and have stopped taking it."

Kellyirene (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Osteoporosis: "Alendronate/death Doctor prescribed this for my 91 year old mother against my objections. My mother was in excellent health until this medication was prescribed. I stated my objections several times regarding this medication. I related recent incidences of falls and no bone breaks. ( She had fallen several times, once off a ladder onto concrete...only bruised. Another time slipped off step, sprained ankle. The er doc said she had great looking bones.)Also, my mother repeatedly told the doctor she had memory/cognition issues which were documented in her chart. The doctor insisted. Ten days later my mother died. She misread the directions and didn't remember the doctors directions. She took one pill daily instead of one weekly."

Alijan (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Osteoporosis: "Alendronate70mg once a wk for 5 wks. Startd feeling very sick. Bad abdominal pain..heartburn..extreme nausea..feel like vomitting. Horrible pains in left thigh. Weird feeling in throat. Headaches daily. Bloated feeling. Abdominal pains everytime I eat and hunger pains extreme. Just total overall sick feeling. Went to ER..Ultrasound fine. Gastro set up appt for upper GI. Hoping ulcer wasn't form or any other damage.Hoping this pill will get outa system soon. Can not handle feeling nauseous all the time. Will never take this pill again. Input?"

Ry106 May 13, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Osteoporosis: "My husband is on alandrnate (fosomax) expensive. Severe low back pain, bloating and gas, and ankle pain did not connect the dots. Pain goes on since last April now I have asked him to stop since today have to wait and see. I myself have severe jaw pain took fosomax in those days heart burn continues though I stopped long time ago. I take condratin sodium. My bone reading is from osteoporosis. to osteopenia now."

Malihai (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "MD prescribed Fosamax. Took first dose and two day later woke up with a severe headache, boating, gas and terrible nausea. By the time I got home from work I had severe back pain, joint pain and headache. The boating was almost intolerable. The next day, nausea was worse and the headache continued with no relief even after OTC pain med. I will take Calcium and Vitamin D instead."

Nitro 1 June 10, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I was on Daily Fosamax about 5 years ago. I had severe GERD and stopped taking it. I used calcium supplements and in those years I didn't have much change. Recently after a scan, it showed that I had bone loss so I went to the weekly Fosamax. I took it in the morning and by that evening, I had severe backache and muscle ache that got worse. Then I had horrible bloating. I could hardly walk with the pain. I called my pharmacist and they told me that I need to contact my doctor and to stop taking the medication. They told me that the side effect symptoms might take up to 7 months to go away. I can not function. I will contact my doctor to see what he has planned. I would like to just take calcium and vitamin D regularly."

Tayloranne (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2014

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "When I first started this there were little, small side effects. I figured over time I would get used to the side effects and thus deal with them. Instead the side effects became intolerable. I would test the med by taking it while I was feeling well. I still had several side effects. Finally the last time I took this the side effects me sick for two full days. Terrible upset stomach, extreme gas and bloating. Worse aches and pains, unable to sleep even with sleep medication. The verge of vomiting at any moment, very dizzy. Extreme bone pain. Several other situations happened with the last dose."

Sijai (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2013

217 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Started taking June 2013, once a week. 4 weeks into taking started having headaches but didn't connect the dots. Then started having severe sharp pain in back and upper right behind rib cage. Pain so severe, went to ER, where they didn't know the cause (had my gallbladder removed 18 yrs ago). Finally spoke to my primary and the connection was made."

Peaches1965 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2013

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I started taking Fosamax for Osteoporosis and I have had a low back pain and body aches the first week, and on the second week I have had severe headache that lasted over two days, now its a dull headache. I'm not to sure on this medicine, I'm worried about the side effects. I hope the effects get better not worse."

sunshine123# June 17, 2013

157 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Caused severe chest pain, jaw pain, difficulty swallowing still after one year, eye pain, severe constipation, rash under my arms and anal area that persist to this day. The chest pains sent me to the Emergency."

JLB 1943 June 3, 2013

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I had to stop taking this after 7 months as my jaw became painful and my mouth became exceedingly dry. It took about 6 weeks for me to get back to normal."

Cindylbw January 21, 2013

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I was diagnosed with osteopenia in 2000 and took Fosamax for 9 years. My bone density showed slight improvement after 3 years, but still in the osteopenia range. One year later, no improvement. I am grateful to have my bone density fairly stable, but am disappointed to not have had improvement after 9 years. "

Anonymous October 6, 2011

241 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "My bone density improved while taking Fosamax. However, I had nausea, intense heartburn, gained 20 pounds, and had to start taking prescription stomach medications due to gastric problems. Finally, I stopped taking it, lost 20 pounds, felt much better and could eat again, but my doctor is now telling me I have lost significant bone mass since stopping this medication. Will now try Atelvia with calcium supplements."

Anonymous June 25, 2011

226 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I have been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for 10 years now without problems. My last scan showed an improvement of 97 percent after ten years by checking my "T" scores. "

Anonymous April 19, 2011

207 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Osteoporosis: "After one year on Alendronate, Posture-D and 4000iu of Vitamin D I had another bone scan and am growing new bone."

menkeclark April 11, 2011

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I noticed joint aches with this medication (and also from concommitant Femara, an anti-estrogen drug). Taking Glucosamin/Condroitin (1000/600 per day) solved the problem. When I stop the G/C, the aches come back. The only downside to this medicine for me is forgetting to take it once per week - or accidentally ingesting food beforehand, so I couldn't take it that day."

ccollopy November 6, 2010

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "The side effects increased with intensity the longer I took it. Muscle, joint and bone pain. I reached the point where I needed a cane to walk. Once I stopped taking it, problems all went away."

Anonymous September 28, 2009

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "I took Fosamax in 2003. I had severe leg cramps. I switched to Boniva because I liked the once a month dose verses weekly."

jds678 July 11, 2009

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I had no problem tolerating Actonel, but when my prescription plan changed me to alendronate sodium, I almost immediately began having so much trouble with my knees that I can no longer use walking as my weight-bearing exercise, which is crucial to prevent."

Anonymous January 12, 2009

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Fosamax (alendronate) for Osteoporosis: "My wife has been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for four years now without problems - her last scan showed an improvement in osteoporosis. However, she has recently been supplied with a generic alternative. This has resulted in excessive wind and bowel functions. Is there such a thing as a generic equivalent?"

Bumpa April 2, 2007