Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin
Generic name: Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin [ oh-MEP-ra-zole, kla-RITH-roe-mye-sin, & a-moks-i-SIL-in ]
Brand name: Omeclamox-Pak
Drug class: H. pylori eradication agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 27, 2023.
Uses of Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin:
- It is used to treat or prevent GI (gastrointestinal) ulcers caused by infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
- If you are allergic to omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin; any part of omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have liver disease.
- If you have mono.
- If omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin caused liver problems before.
- If you have ever had a long QT on ECG or other heartbeat that is not normal.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low potassium or magnesium levels.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin, like certain drugs that are used for high cholesterol, migraines, or mood problems. There are many drugs that must not be taken with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin.
- If you are taking any drugs that can cause a certain type of heartbeat that is not normal (prolonged QT interval). There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Severe and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened with drugs like this one.
- This medicine may cause very bad and sometimes deadly heartbeats that are not normal. Call your doctor right away if you have a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), talk with your doctor about which glucose tests are best to use.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Lupus has happened with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin, as well as lupus that has gotten worse in people who already have it. Tell your doctor if you have lupus. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of lupus like a rash on the cheeks or other body parts, sunburn easy, muscle or joint pain, chest pain or shortness of breath, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Very bad pancreas, liver, and white blood cell problems have happened in people who were taking omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin. Rarely, these have been fatal. Talk with the doctor if you have questions.
- Diarrhea is common with antibiotics. Rarely, a severe form called C diff–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen during or a few months after taking antibiotics. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, cramps, or very loose, watery, or bloody stools. Check with your doctor before treating diarrhea.
- If you have myasthenia gravis, talk with your doctor. Call your doctor if your signs get worse. Signs of myasthenia gravis have also happened in people who do not have it. Call your doctor right away if you have new or worse muscle weakness, trouble chewing or swallowing, trouble breathing, droopy eyelids, or change in eyesight like blurred eyesight or seeing double.
- If you have heart disease, talk with your doctor. In one study, people with heart disease who took clarithromycin had a higher chance of death a year or more later than those who did not take clarithromycin. The cause of this was not known. Other studies have shown different results.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin) best taken?
Use omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take right before a meal.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low magnesium levels like mood changes, muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps or spasms, seizures, shakiness, not hungry, very bad upset stomach or throwing up, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Shortness of breath.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Fever, chills, or sore throat.
- For females, vaginal yeast infection. Report itching or discharge.
- Redness or white patches in mouth or throat.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Bad taste in your mouth.
- Tooth staining.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
- Store at room temperature protected from light. Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about amoxicillin / clarithromycin / omeprazole
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (2)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: H. pylori eradication agents
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.