Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin
Generic Name: Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin (oh MEP ra zole, kla RITH roe mye sin, & a moks i SIL in)
Brand Name: Omeclamox-Pak
Uses of Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin:
- It is used to treat or prevent GI (gastrointestinal) ulcers caused by infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
- If you have an allergy to omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin, any penicillin, or any other part of omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have liver disease.
- If you have mono.
- If this medicine caused liver problems before.
- If you have ever had a long QT on ECG or other heartbeat that is not normal.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low potassium or magnesium levels.
- If you have kidney or liver disease and are taking colchicine.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin, like certain drugs that are used for high cholesterol, migraines, or mood problems. There are many drugs that must not be taken with this medicine.
- If you are taking any drugs that can cause a certain type of heartbeat that is not normal (prolonged QT interval). There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened with drugs like this one. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause very bad and sometimes deadly heartbeats that are not normal. Call your doctor right away if you have a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), talk with your doctor about which glucose tests are best to use.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Lupus has happened with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin, as well as lupus that has gotten worse in people who already have it. Tell your doctor if you have lupus. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of lupus like a rash on the cheeks or other body parts, sunburn easy, muscle or joint pain, chest pain or shortness of breath, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Very bad pancreas, liver, and white blood cell problems have happened in people who were taking this medicine. Rarely, these have been fatal. Talk with the doctor if you have questions.
- It is common to have diarrhea when taking omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin. Rarely, a very bad form of diarrhea called Clostridium difficile (C diff)–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may occur. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen while you are taking this medicine or within a few months after you stop taking it. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain or cramps, very loose or watery stools, or bloody stools. Do not try to treat loose stools without first checking with your doctor.
- If you have myasthenia gravis, talk with your doctor. Call your doctor if your signs get worse. Signs of myasthenia gravis have also happened in people who do not have it. Call your doctor right away if you have new or worse muscle weakness, trouble chewing or swallowing, trouble breathing, droopy eyelids, or change in eyesight like blurred eyesight or seeing double.
- If you have heart disease, talk with your doctor. In one study, people with heart disease who took clarithromycin had a higher chance of death a year or more later than those who did not take clarithromycin. The cause of this was not known. Other studies have shown different results.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this medicine, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin) best taken?
Use omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Use as you have been told.
- Take right before a meal.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew or crush.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking this medicine with your other drugs.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low magnesium levels like mood changes, muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps or spasms, seizures, shakiness, not hungry, very bad upset stomach or throwing up, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- For females, vaginal yeast infection. Report itching or discharge.
- Redness or white patches in mouth or throat.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Bad taste in your mouth.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Tooth staining.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Omeprazole, Clarithromycin, and Amoxicillin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: October 4, 2017
More about amoxicillin/clarithromycin/omeprazole
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: H. pylori eradication agents
- Amoxicillin, clarithromycin, and omeprazole
- Omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Omeclamox-Pak