Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin
Generic Name: Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin (oh MEP ra zole, a moks i SIL in, & rif a BYOO tin)
Brand Name: Talicia
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 6, 2020.
Uses of Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin:
- It is used to treat GI (gastrointestinal) ulcers caused by infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin?
- If you are allergic to omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin; any part of omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have mono.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin, like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or seizures. There are many drugs that must not be taken with omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin.
- This medicine may stain contact lenses.
- This medicine may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin) best taken?
Use omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin with food.
- Swallow whole with a full glass of water.
- Do not chew or crush.
- Do not drink alcohol at the time you take omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Flu-like signs. These include headache, weakness, fever, shakes, aches, pains, and sweating.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Shortness of breath.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Diarrhea is common with antibiotics. Rarely, a severe form called C diff–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen during or a few months after taking antibiotics. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, cramps, or very loose, watery, or bloody stools. Check with your doctor before treating diarrhea.
- Lupus has happened with omeprazole, amoxicillin, and rifabutin, as well as lupus that has gotten worse in people who already have it. Tell your doctor if you have lupus. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of lupus like a rash on the cheeks or other body parts, sunburn easy, muscle or joint pain, chest pain or shortness of breath, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- This medicine may change the color of urine, stools, saliva, sweat, tears, and skin to a brown-orange color. This is normal and not harmful.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Rifabutin?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about amoxicillin / omeprazole / rifabutin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: H. pylori eradication agents
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Talicia