Generic Name: hydrocortisone (hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Examples include Cortizone-10 and Hytone
Hytone cream is used for:
Reducing itching, redness, and swelling associated with many skin conditions.
Hytone cream is a topical corticosteroid. It works by depressing the formation, release, and activity of different cells and chemicals that cause swelling, redness, and itching.
Do NOT use Hytone cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hytone cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hytone cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Hytone cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection, measles, thinning of the skin, tuberculosis (TB), chicken pox, shingles, a positive TB skin test, or have recently had a vaccination
- if you have anal itching or bleeding or genital itching
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hytone cream. Because little, if any, of Hytone cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Hytone cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hytone cream:
Use Hytone cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub it in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Hytone cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Hytone cream, apply it as soon as possible. If you do not remember until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hytone cream.
Important safety information:
- Do not use Hytone cream for other skin conditions at a later time.
- If you are using Hytone cream for a rectal condition, do not put Hytone cream in the rectum using your fingers or any mechanical device or applicator.
- If Hytone cream was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Hytone cream.
- Hytone cream is for external use only. If you get Hytone cream in your eyes, immediately flush them with cool tap water.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Hytone cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Hytone cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Hytone cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne; cracking, softening, or streaking of the skin; excessive sweating; inflammation of the hair follicles; mild skin irritation or dryness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); infection; itching, burning, pain, redness, or swelling of the skin not present before using Hytone cream; skin thinning and discoloration.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Hytone cream may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Hytone cream:
Store Hytone cream at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Hytone cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hytone cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hytone cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Hytone cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Hytone cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Hytone cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Hytone cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Hytone (hydrocortisone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical steroids