Generic Name: Aspirin Tablets (AS pir in)
Brand Name: Aspiritab, Bayer
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 7, 2019.
Uses of Bayer:
- It is used to ease pain, swelling, and fever.
- It is used to treat arthritis.
- It is used to treat rheumatic fever.
- It is used to protect bypass grafts and stents in the heart.
- It is used to lower the chance of heart attack, stroke, and death in some people.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Bayer?
For all patients taking Bayer (aspirin tablets):
- If you have an allergy to aspirin or any other part of Bayer (aspirin tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Asthma, bleeding problems, nose polyps, or rhinitis.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
- If you have a stomach or bowel ulcer.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
- If you are taking any other NSAID.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Bayer (aspirin tablets) if you are in the third trimester of pregnancy. You may also need to avoid Bayer (aspirin tablets) at other times during pregnancy. Talk with your doctor to see when you need to avoid taking Bayer (aspirin tablets) during pregnancy.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
- If your child has or is getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Bayer (aspirin tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Bayer (aspirin tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Bayer?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Bayer (aspirin tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not give to children and teenagers who have or are getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections due to the chance of Reye's syndrome. Reye's syndrome causes very bad problems to the brain and liver.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Bayer (aspirin tablets) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- If you smoke, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may raise the chance of very bad and sometimes deadly stomach or bowel side effects like ulcers or bleeding. The risk is greater in older people. The risk is also greater in people who have had stomach or bowel ulcers or bleeding before. These problems may occur without warning signs. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are over the age of 60, use Bayer (aspirin tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Bayer (aspirin tablets), call your doctor right away.
- If you take Bayer (aspirin tablets) on a regular basis, do not stop taking it without calling the doctor who ordered it for you.
How is this medicine (Bayer) best taken?
Use Bayer (aspirin tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Take with a full glass of water.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Bayer (aspirin tablets) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Bayer (aspirin tablets) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds; coughing up blood; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; vaginal bleeding that is not normal; bruises without a reason or that get bigger; or any bleeding that is very bad or that you cannot stop.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling confused.
- Very bad headache.
- Ringing in ears.
- Hearing loss.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Feeling agitated.
What are some other side effects of Bayer?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain or heartburn.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Bayer?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Bayer (aspirin tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Bayer Aspirin (aspirin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 5 Reviews
- Drug class: platelet aggregation inhibitors
- FDA Alerts (2)