Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte Side Effects
Generic name: dextromethorphan
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 30, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about dextromethorphan. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte.
For the Consumer
Applies to dextromethorphan: oral capsule liquid filled, oral elixir, oral liquid, oral solution, oral suspension extended release, oral syrup, oral tablet
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, dextromethorphan (the active ingredient contained in Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking dextromethorphan:
Symptoms of overdose
- Blurred vision
- difficulty in urination
- drowsiness or dizziness
- nausea or vomiting (severe)
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- slowed breathing
- unusual excitement, nervousness, restlessness, or irritability (severe)
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of dextromethorphan may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Less common or rare
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dextromethorphan: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral disintegrating strip, oral drops, oral liquid, oral lozenge, oral solution, oral suspension extended release, oral syrup, oral tablet chewable
Frequency not reported: Drowsiness, dizziness, convulsions[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Fixed-drug eruptions[Ref]
Cases of abuse have been reported.[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
More about Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte (dextromethorphan)
Related treatment guides
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. Hall RC, Beresford TP, Stickney SK, Nasdahl CS, Coleman JH "Psychiatric reactions produced by respiratory drugs." Psychosomatics 26 (1985): 605-8,616-7
3. Helfer J, Kim OM "Psychoactive abuse potential of Robitussin-DM." Am J Psychiatry 147 (1990): 672-3
4. Murray S, Brewerton T "Abuse of over-the-counter dextromethorphan by teenagers." South Med J 86 (1993): 1151-3
5. Wolfe TR, Caravati EM "Massive dextromethorphan ingestion and abuse." Am J Emerg Med 13 (1995): 174-6
6. Polles A, Griffith JL "Dextromethorphan-induced mania." Psychosomatics 37 (1996): 71-4
7. Bostwick JM "Dextromethorphan-induced manic symptoms in a bipolar patient on lithium." Psychosomatics 37 (1996): 571-2
8. Stubb S, Reitamo S "Fixed-drug eruption due to dextromethorphan ." Arch Dermatol 126 (1990): 970-1
9. Knowles SR, Weber E "Dextromethorphan anaphylaxis." J Allerg Clin Immunol 102 (1998): 316-7
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.