Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 24, 2022.
Generic name: AZITHROMYCIN DIHYDRATE 2g in 60mL
Dosage form: powder, for oral suspension
Zmax should be taken as a single 2 g dose. Zmax provides a full course of antibacterial therapy in a single oral dose. It is recommended that Zmax be taken on an empty stomach (at least 1 hr before or 2 hr following a meal).
For pediatric patients 6 months and older, Zmax should be taken as a single dose of 60 mg/kg (equivalent to 27 mg/lb) body weight. The Zmax dose in mL is equivalent to the child's weight in lb (1 mL/lb dose, see Table 1 below), for a body weight of less than 75 lb (34 kg). It is recommended that Zmax be taken on an empty stomach (at least 1 hr before or 2 hrs following a meal).
Pediatric patients weighing 75 lb (34 kg) or more should receive the adult dose (2 g).
|Dosing Calculated on 1 mL/lb, Dose 1 mL of Suspension for every 1 lb of Body Weight for Children <75 lb (34 kg)*|
|Weight||1 mL/lb Dose|
|≥75||34||2000||Consume entire contents of bottle|
Additional Treatment after Vomiting with Zmax
In the event that a patient vomits within 5 minutes of administration, the health care provider should consider additional antibiotic treatment since there would be minimal absorption of azithromycin. Since insufficient data exist on absorption of azithromycin if a patient vomits between 5 and 60 minutes following administration, alternative therapy should be considered. Neither a second dose of Zmax nor alternative treatment is warranted if vomiting occurs ≥60 minutes following administration, in patients with normal gastric emptying. In patients with delayed gastric emptying, alternative therapy should be considered.
Instructions for the Pharmacist
Constitute with 60 mL of water and replace cap. Shake bottle well before dispensing. Do not refrigerate. Constituted suspension should be consumed within 12 hr.
For pediatric dosing in patients weighing less than 75 lb (34 kg), use of a dosing device is recommended. The pharmacist should inform the patient's caregiver that any suspension remaining after dosing MUST be discarded.
Frequently asked questions
- What antibiotics kill Covid-19 (coronavirus)?
- What are the best antibiotics for a tooth infection?
- How long does azithromycin stay in your system after you finish taking it?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- Does azithromycin cure chlamydia: How much / how long?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- What antibiotics are used to treat chlamydia and gonorrhea?
- Can you drink alcohol with Z-Pak (Azithromycin)?
- Was azithromycin in my system long enough to treat chlamydia after throwing up?
- Zithromax Z-Pak - can Tums (antacids) be taken with Z-Pak?
- Azithromycin - Can I drink a glass of wine at night if I have taken the medicine in the day?
- Azithromycin - can you cut the pill in half?
More about Zmax (azithromycin)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.