User Reviews for Upadacitinib

Rheumatoid Arthritis
6.2

Reviews for Upadacitinib

Molly’s Mom May 2, 2021

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was on Humira but it wasn’t lasting two weeks. My rheum wanted to try another injectable but my insurance wouldn’t cover it until I failed this class of meds. This is the worst my RA has ever been! This seems to do worse than nothing! I have a bunch of edema in my feet and ankles now, too, not to mention what is in my knuckles. I can barely open a door handle by myself now and I am only 40.”

JP · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis as per the doctors. The first doctor gave me hydroxychloroquine. The second doctor gave me Leflunomide. None of these very effective. My wrist and fingers get stuck in the night especially when it's cold. The third doctor suggested me specialty medicine called enbrel. Enbrel was effective for the first two or three months. Then it had no effect. Symptoms gotten worse. So the doctor suggested taking Rinvoq. Rinvoq is also useless. Enbrel was very good at least for 3 months. Rinvoq had no effect from the beginning. This specialty medicine is no use or my symptoms is not rheumatoid.”

Lac · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2021

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was on Rinvog for 2 months and had to go off because my white blood cells dropped to low. I do not believe it was working for me anyways.”

Surfergirl0925 February 8, 2021

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have tried just about everything under the sun for my RA. Was on Orencia for almost 5 years and loved it, until it quit working. I started taking Rinvoq Nov 11th. Immediately noticed very oily skin and cystic acne. I usually never break out. In the first 5 weeks of taking it, my immune system weakened so much, I had a sinus infection, bronchitis, 2 UTIs, a yeast infection, and was constantly broke out with fever blisters. I also developed back pain so bad I could barely move in the morning. I'm very active so I wasn't sure that was the Rinvoq. I came off Rinvoq to give my immune system a chance work again. After a week of being off Rinvoq, my acne cleared up, the infections and fever blisters went away, and my back didn't hurt any more. Began taking Rinvoq again, within a few days my acne came back and my low back pain is just as painful as before.”

Cat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 23, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “2018-2020 severe pain and knee effusion not responding to Prednisone or Cimzia. Knee had to be drained several times and corticosteroid shots given almost weekly, against regulatory use, just to control the swelling and pain. Started Rinvoq in January 2020. Knee fluid and pain gone within less than three days — it worked very fast! RA went into remission and was off for two weeks starting September 2020. Labs done last week and ZERO inflammation markers in my blood work WHILE OFF MEDICATION. Just went back on Rinvoq at a maintenance dose for COVID-19 protection (reduce cytokine storm/inflammatory response in body). This drug has been a miracle in my life! It shouldn’t be overlooked. Great for inflammation/effusion/overactive immune response. My RA doctor was able to get my insurance to cover it ($3 co-pay).”

Tiger · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have taken just about every drug available for Rheumatoid Arthritis in the 20 years since diagnosis. Some did not work, some worked for a while, and others made me sick as a dog. I have had to take prednisone on and off, (mostly on) for both decades. I have been suffering terribly this past year or so. My Doctor precribed Rinvoq and didn't say much about it. Within the first two days I started feeling better. Almost a month in and I can say I feel like ten years have been lifted from me. It is like a miracle, I am tapering from the prednisone. I am so much more active now. I hope it continues to work. Oily skin and flushing no big deal”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I wanted to respond to Bob who posted on Sept. 26. I have had an issue with feeling very light headed all day. I never move my head quickly and get up very slowly in the morning. I have had severe dizziness with other meds. This is a terrible feeling and I hope that it fades for you as you adjust to this med. I never feel "grounded". I am giving this drug one more month for a total of six months. Best of luck to you.”

Bob September 26, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been on Rinvoq for 6 weeks now. It has caused a lot of dizziness and nausea. I’ve tried changing the time that I take it so that the worst of the dizziness was at night, but I wake up feeling very dizzy and nauseous. Has anyone else had this problem?”

Booboo November 23, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Rinvoq for almost 4 weeks. Didn't notice too much difference in my RA other than less pain in swelling in my hands and knees. All of a sudden my legs turned red with severe pain and swelling below my knees into my ankles. I developed pitted edema with sharp pains in my legs. Also, sharp chest pains in the center, increased urination, nasal congestion with runny nose and worst of all is the chills and sweats I'm dealing with. A sore throat appeared but did not last. I am really scared about the possibility of blood clots and intestinal bleeding. I do have interstitial lung disease, GERD, diverticulosis, fibromyalgia and ulcerative colitis. This medication does make me very tired. After the swelling of my ankles got so bad, I stopped Rinvoq. Does anyone know how long it takes for Rinvoq to get out of the body after stopping? I feel so awful and am really scared of a serious blood and/or heart attack.”

Daisy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been on Rinvoq for about 4 months now. I didn’t notice a difference for the first month but after that I felt really good. Pain and stiffness in my wrist hands and joints did not interfering with my life and I wasn’t thinking about it all day anymore. Now in the last two weeks I started getting stiffness and pain is starting back again. I’m not sure what to do since the other pain meds didn’t help. It’s hard to live with extreme pain all day. Night times are hard and my wrists and hands are so stiff and painful but I can’t sleep.”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've been on Rinvoq for almost four months. I didn't do well on methotrexate, leflunomide or plaquenil. I felt better pretty quickly with Rinvoq. I still have minor flare ups and dry eyes/skin. But recently I developed a significant UTI that came out of nowhere. I left messages with my rheumatologist to see if it's the Rinvoq. No answer yet. Has anyone else have this happen?”

Bubbles · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking Rinvoq for two weeks now. This has been the best for my pain relief. I started with Humera and went to Actemra but nothing has worked as well as this. My pain is virtually gone and I am doing the things I enjoy again. Rinvoq is great.”

JJs Mama · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2021

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've tried nearly every RA medicine under the sun. In the spring of 2020, I was put on Rinvoq. Within a week of taking Rinvoq, the swelling had decreased dramatically and my pain became bearable. I thought I had finally found the perfect drug! Fast forward 6 months later and the drug is keeping me sick about every 6 weeks. I've had multiple sinus infections with 2 of them causing vertigo which makes RA seem like child's play. I have to battle yeast infections, congestion, sinusitis, and horrible acne all over my chin. I am trying to take the drug just a few times a week to keep the swelling down but even that isn't working. I hear a swooshing sound in my ears and I'm always terrified I'm going to get vertigo again and be driving or in a store. What started out as a miracle drug for me has developed into a nightmare. I'm at the point where the benefits are not outweighing the side effects. For me the honeymoon phase is definitely over and I am ready for a divorce.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “About a week after I started Rinvoq I began to get extremely oily skin on my face and shoulders. I am in my 50’s and have acne all over my face, hairline (including the nape of my neck), back and chest! I wash my face 3-4 times a day because it’s so oily! My skin was normal to dry prior to starting this medication.”

Mee · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve hard RA for over 20 years. Nothing has really helped. So the Rheumy said Rinvoq was the next step. The last 9 days have been pure living nightmare. Headache 18 hours a day. Nausea and vomiting even when I sleep. Yes I have awakened in vomit twice, I’m a 61 year old woman. I’ve never done that in my adult life. It feels like some one is trying to dig out of my stomach with a knife. The rheumy told me this morning to stop for a week and call and tell him how I feel. The headache, nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain have almost completely resolved. Hmmmmmm...and sigh....now what.”

Jag · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was on Rinvoq for 3 months. It caused extreme swelling in my legs, arms, hands and overall body. The swelling was so bad that my shoes didn’t fit and my skin hurt. It created such bad DVT that I ended up with a pulmonary embolism. This drug could have killed me. It also did nothing for my pain.”

Rick December 26, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Have been on Rinvoq for 6 months now. Was receiving infusions for a couple of years of Actemera but kind of palteaued with that. Got off that just before Covid hit so was glad not to have to go into a med center to receive that. So have had good results blood work is excellent and physically functioning fine. I am in my 50's and not having any other issues. Dr. wanted to me to add Methotrexate just to really get me into remission but not a fan of that drug so staying with Rinvoq exclusively. Was surprised to see the negative reactions on here so guess I'm fortunate to have none!!God bless and good health!!”

Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2021

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have tried many meds for RA. Was very successful with Xeljanz but had continual sinusitis. Now Rinvoq is not as successful for pain/RA but I get less sinusitis. Also developed very oily skin and acne about my neck face and shoulders. I am 58 and on HRT as well and MRX 10 mg”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 31, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Took Rinvoq for two months from the samples my dr gave me. I felt great! My insurance only covers a small amount, leaving a $1500 co pay. Applied for help from Rinvoq but never got a response. Just can’t afford.”

Penguino · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2021

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Rinvoq has worked well on my RA. Hands especially felt better within a few weeks. I have noticed a "phlegmy" feeling in back of throat and now experiencing facial pimples and along my eyebrows. I have stepped up my face washing to see f that helps.”

Gaby · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am on rinvoq for 9 weeks and for my is a miracle drug for my RA. 9 months ago I wasn't able to do any of the daily routine. I was on methotrexate 3 month with not much improvement and later my doctor add avara to my treatment and after another 3 months was again not much improvement .9 week in Rinvoq and I back work with very little pain.”

Leesagirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2021

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Rinvoq for RA for exactly one year and it has been amazing. My blood work is perfect. I did get shingles on the 3rd month after starting it but I got through it and have been doing so well. Hardly any pain at all and I have suffered for 22 years. The only side effects I have noticed is when my immune system is taking a hit, I get super tired and weak feeling (that’s how I know it’s working extra good). When the tiredness eases up then I know my immune system is relaxing. I have experience extra oily skin but it might be hormones as well, hard to say. I recommend this to anyone suffering as its great to feel this good compared to the other horrible RA drugs. Good luck to all!”

Nanato7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been taking Rinvoq for about 6 months and started it because I wasn’t getting enough pain relief from methotrexate. My pain has significantly improved but swelling has actually worsened. I now have edema in both legs, ankles, and wrists. I’ve also gained weight with this drug and not happy about that. I love that this drug is in daily pill form vs. a weekly pill or injection and I don’t have to stress about feeling nauseous and tired after my weekly methotrexate dose. Overall I’m happy to be getting a mostly pain-free life back, but am concerned that my doctor my take me off of it at my next appointment when he sees the amount of edema I now have.”

Debbo October 26, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed with RA two years ago, and have tried almost everything. Finally found Rinvoq, and it works! Like others, I had acne and a few other side effects at first, but it went away. Very happy with this drug, as I can now play tennis again!”

Archibald · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2021

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Have tried most other RA meds with varying degrees of success and side effects. Started Rinvoq about 6 months ago and it has been good at reducing the joint swelling with only minimal side effects (runny nose, some coughing). I want to stay on it but my insurance won't pay for it, wants to put me on Xeljanz. I know they are similar but Xeljanz has a higher risk of blood clots which I've had in the past. Damn insurance!”

Libramd · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on almost all medicines out there. So far I've been on Rinvoq a month. I'm always skeptical about drugs working since I've been trying them for 39 years. Rinvoq says it can start to work 2 weeks to 6 months. I have noticed little things like easier time standing up and not as stiff when I wake up. The last 3 days I've been having more pain and stiffness. As far as side effects I've had cough, hoarseness, muscle cramping. Recently extreme bruising, I woke up with bruises all over hands palms back fingers, all over legs and forearms. None of these side effects will cause me to quit the medicine. All pretty mild compared to effects of other meds.”

Miastylist · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have also taking many RA meds including methotrexate , Humira, etc... I am on Rinvoq for the second time in about 4 months. My first few weeks on it I quickly achieved almost no pain and absolutely no stiffness for the first time since RA developed then I developed cellulitis out of nowhere!!! I got scared and stopped myself. Went back to rheumy he thought I should continue with it that maybe it was not related. I now have been back on for about 3 weeks or more and yes virtually RA free except I had my first diverticulitis attack last Monday (confirmed with ct scan) I thought I would keel over. My lower abdomen has not been the same since and I am still taking this Rinvoq. I’m torn I don’t know what to do next. Almost forgot I also have this hypersensitive reaction to mosquito bites that cause huge welts since starting this medication”

Lu · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2020

Rinvoq (upadacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have taken Methotrexate / prednisone / Humira / Xeljanz for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Due to inflammation I have been put on Rinvoq for 2 weeks now. I’m nauseous dry eyes blurred vision and fibromyalgia. I also have Type 1 Diabetes Pancreatitis on Fiasp / Toujeo on and Ulcerative Colitis.”