User Reviews for Ticagrelor

Also known as: Brilinta

Ticagrelor has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 79 ratings on Drugs.com. 16% of those users who reviewed Ticagrelor reported a positive effect, while 58% reported a negative effect.

Acute Coronary Syndrome
Thromboembolic Stroke Prophylaxis
Summary of Ticagrelor reviews 3.8 79 reviews

Reviews for Ticagrelor

alpine_pete · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 6, 2021

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Coronary Artery Disease: “Had 2 stents inserted and given Plavix. On 6th day developed a rash on right hip, buttock and groin - hundreds of tiny red bloody spots. Switched to Brilinta. Rash disappeared. About 10 days after initial dose of Brilinta had occasional spontaneous but limited bleeding on legs, arms, back. This stopped after about 2 weeks.”

MHG · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Thromboembolic Stroke Prophylaxis: “Was prescribed Brilinta following a procedure to put in a stent for a blockage in my leg. It’s horrible! Terribly dizzy and off balance. No appetite. Will ask to discontinue at my follow up visit”

D · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2021

For Coronary Artery Disease: “On ticagrelor for one year after 2 stents bit nervous stopping them but can't wait to stop taking them”

Surprise Diagnosis May 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “I received Brilinta during procedure when I had 1 stent placed during angiogram I had acute coronary syndrome . In recovery, I had extreme shortness of breath, chest tightness, breast tissue ache, & extreme upper back pain. I told a nurse. Was this a heart attack? 3 cardiologists arrived. They agreed these were known side effects, told me why Brilinta was chosen, but agreed Plavix worked just as good & much better for me. Brilinta was stopped and my side effect symptoms resolved within hours. I'm lucky I have (3) responsive doctors. It's a cruel joke when a drug given to treat CV issues has side effects that mirror a CV event. Regardless of how good the drug is, IMO this can damage health/mental state of patients taking this drug to avoid CV problems. Shaken confidence can contribute to less optimal recovery. Doctors should pay attention to experiences & discuss side effects if they choose this drug. Then Brilinta can be used with confidence, or replaced quickly for those who have adverse reactions.”

Another Time · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Heart Attack: “I've been on Brilinta for 7 months and am seeing the Doctor tomorrow to demand I be taken off of it, after another visit to the ER today. I had a stent put in 7 months ago and have been on 90 Mg twice a day. Side effects are atrocious. Swelling in legs and arms, disturbed sleep, fatigued so greatly I have to just...rest... I particularly feel it in my legs and back of thighs. Stiffness when I awake. The fatigue is extreme. What I find disturbing is I report the pain, the swelling and exceptional fatigue and I am told "your medication wouldn't cause that", yet when one reads the side effects and these reviews there it is. We often hear of side effects and think "well it happens to a minority of people", but with Brilinta I'm convinced it is a majority who experience unacceptable side effects. If I can't spent time with family, can't work properly and get poor sleep...those are things that stress you to have another heart attack surely.”

Francis November 8, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “After a stent started Brilianta 2X90mg and 81mg aspirin. Shortness of breath, fatigue and palpitations was overwhelming, after 6 weeks finally my Dr agree to change to Plavix slowly recovered and feeling much better now.”

Gregg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “On Brilinta 10 months and then switched to Plavix. I was paying $400 per month for Brilinta and my Cardiologist had me in a study as they all make money using us as test rats. Plavix costs $7.50 for a 90 day supply folks so don't be BULLIED into using Brilanta.”

Schamole February 4, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “My Mom was placed on Brillenta on 1/4/16 and was in the hospital. As soon as she was placed on the medication she complained of a funny feeling in her stomach. Was discharged 4 days later and still had a funny feeling in her stomach...which was blamed on anxiety. She continued to complain to doctors about this funny feeling up until taken back to the ER on 1-26-16 for the funny feeling...ultimately my Mom passed away on 1/27/16 with a GI bleed...I'm very concerned it was caused by this drug!”

Gini · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “I started having shakiness and hyperactivity the day after angioplasty. The doctors emphasized Brilinta is key to keeping the stents open. I am very sensitive to pharmaceuticals...I thought it might be one of the drugs but the doctors thought otherwise - attributing it to all the stress of the procedure and one small artery they could not stent. Then angina came back with shortness of breath. Started Imdur to counteract chest pain but shortness of breath (SOB) continued. The chest pain and shortness of breath continued to get worse so went to ER with angina, SOB, racing heart, coughing and impending sense of doom. Ended up staying overnight. Heart checked out ok and doctors finally attributed issues of angina, SOB and GERD to the side effects of Brilinta. Now I am on Plavix and no side effects so far. I was really regretting getting the stents and thought the alternative might have been better. Brilinta might be preferred drug for PCI but the side effects are horrible.”

Too young for all of this... December 31, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Heart Attack: “HA with one stent in LAD and was prescribed Metoprolol and Brilinta. A week later the side effects all kicked in: shooting chest pains, racing heart, chest/arms/legs tingling, jitteriness and anxiety. I felt like I was having another HA so spent the weekend in the ER where they didn't find anything wrong. My GP prescribed anxiety meds which provided some helped a bit. After a month of complaining to my cardiologist, they finally took me off of metoprolol and the anxiety, jitters and racing heart rate went away. I was still getting chest pains, shortness of breath, and was feeling nauseous. Another month and I convinced my Dr to switch from Brilinta to Effient and the remaining side effects went away. I'm finally starting to feel normal. Not all Drs are open to modifying patients meds which can be a real issue if you are experiencing negative side effects so please advocate for yourself.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “Have been on Brilinta for almost 2 months after 1 stent. The shortness of breath is terrible. Sleep is spotty, so I'm doubly exhausted. I wake up multiple times needing to sit up and breathe. My gout has flared up continually since I started this drug, which used to hit every 3 months. All in all, I hate it.”

Rick · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Coronary Artery Disease: “I had a stent placed in my artery that was 90% blocked. They put me on Brilinta and 2 days into it I developed shortness of breath and a terrible feeling of claustrophobia but not of small spaces but of feeling it with myself, I felt I needed to get out myself somehow, it was a very strange feeling . I have asthma as well so took a puff of Ventolin and 5 minutes later my heart was racing and I continued to have shortness of breath. Had to go to hospital. They took me off Brilinta and put me on Clopidogrel. No problems thus far apart from the anxiety I feel, I feel like I'm going out of my mind. Hopefully anxiety is just the lingering affects of Brilinta.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “I advice you not to take Brilinta. My husband woke up every 10 minutes scared of dying because he couldn't breath. He coughed and had blurred vision too. This medication should be off market. We had 2 sleepless weeks while he was in Brilinta”

PaulMenifee February 16, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “This medication was worse than the heart attack Long story short I could not breathe. I finally was able to discontinue after 1 year..symptoms improved within 3 days..none now. For me it was horrible and I would never recommend to anyone.”

Offended · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “Why on earth would Brlinita be approved for heart patients when shortness of breathe is a side affect. A pretty sick joke. I was not amused and told the doctor I would not continue taking it, regardless what the drug rep said of the side affect potentially leaving in a few days.”

DC · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Heart Attack: “I had a heart attack last Wednesday 7-31 and after having a stent placed I was started on Brilinta. So far I’m not happy with this drug. I am totally fine during the day, but in the middle of the night while sleeping I get woke up with severe shortness of breath. It takes about an hour plus for me to feel better. But now I wake up exhausted due to little sleep. I have been on plavix in the past and it worked fine only thing I had was bruising and I’d rather have that over not being able to catch my breath.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Coronary Artery Disease: “11/15/2020 Placed on Brilinta post two stent placements. Took it for one week and noted memory problems and I started itching and burning around my face and head. Physician assistant said not a problem and I continued to take it three more days. Three days later in the middle of the night I went to the emergency room at 3am with uncontrollable itching and severe shortness of breath and severe chest pain. I was told I was on my way to a heart attack from the Brilinta. I was admitted and switched to plavix. Three days after switching to plavix and still itching and memory problems. Supposedly it takes as long as seven days to recover from an allergic reaction to Britlnta. Too soon to evaluate the plavlx .”

Bumblebee46 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 15, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Heart Attack: “I had a Mild heart attack with stents fitted. I took Brilinta for 7 months and reported the shortness of breath on various occasions. Eventually I insisted I was taken off. 3 months on I have now been suffering really bad anxiety attacks which of course includes shortness of breath. I am fully convinced this is as a direct result of being on this medication.”

Babyslothsarecute · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “Had heart attack 12/15/2016 and put on Brilinta 90mg twice a day, plus 81mg Aspirin once a day. I experienced shortness of breath, and a cough. Went to see my Cardiologist, he says the shortness of breath will get better, and the cough is not related to the Brilinta. Recently I started feeling soreness on the tops of my hands I press on the veins, and soreness increases. I have now developed large bruises on the top of both hands, with slight swelling. My vision also has changed, bluryness in my left eye, I see no documentation that this is a side effect. Anyone else have this?”

MpoOzzy August 16, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “BrIlinta all but put me in the grave. It stopped my breathing...over 100 times in one day. Given to me after catheterization. And no sleep. Was sent home with a change in my meds...Brilinta. Got in the house and started to take a nap as I was crashing... My breathing stopped. I had to try several times before breathing restarted...horrible This went on through out the day. Could not get the doctors to call me. Called Walgreen...that helped. Was told no antidote and was told to flush system with lots of water Not to take any more Berlinta...but use Privosate... At nine pm in the evening I went out side and walked to try to establish breathing pattern...about 11:00 PM was able to breath well enough to sleep. Horrible experience. HORRIBLE BEWARE YOU LIFE”

Doctor Tim January 30, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Prevention of Atherothrombotic Events: “At 90 years of age and after an MI and 2 stents, I started 90 mgs Brilinta twice daily and 88 mgs aspirin daily After reporting excessive bruising, aspirin was reduced to every other day. A few weeks later, I suffered dysonea severe enough that I thought of another MI. Even after the Brilinta dosage was reduced to 60 mgs twice daily, I experience mild dyspnea for a few hours after a dose. I am sleeping several hours a day longer than before. Though I also take lisinopril, metropolol and Liptor, Brilinta appears to be the only drug with unpleasant side effects. I would be interested to know how much lower might be the incidence of clotting with Brilinta as compared to aspirin alone. I really don't like the stuff.”

Nano · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Heart Attack: “Just finished my last dose of Brilinta. Was on the medication for 12 months related to Stent and CABGx4 (August 2019). Noticed bruising which is a known side effect of the medication. Gum bleeding only when brushing and would easily stop. Recommend an ultra soft toothbrush. Someone mentioned arm and leg pain in another review, I have some of that pain/feelings but not to the level that I would compare it to MS. What may be the difference for me is that I followed my recovery protocol seriously by maintaining a healthy diet, exercise, and strict adherence to my meds and maintaining my glucose for my diabetes to an A1c of 5.1.”

Living · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Prevention of Atherothrombotic Events: “While on the table after having two stents put in, the doctor took me off Plavix and gave me 4 Brilinta. For the next 3 weeks, I felt that the doctor had not put a stent in my heart, but rather somehow clogged it, for I had shortness of breath just like a heart attack. I couldn't go to sleep for forcing myself to take deep breaths which didn't seem to fill my need for air. My regular cardiologist took me off the Brilina and put me back on Plavix. No problems now and it cleared up within a day or two.”

Tom S. November 14, 2015

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “I have been taking Brilinta for almost two years and am just finally able to get off of it. I feel like I have been tired for months. I feel like the med did it's job overall and am thankful it. Just tired all of the time.”

Rickedoc September 24, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “I was on this med for a year after having angioplasty with the placements of two stents I was on 90mg twice a day and such bruising that after a year my doctor lowered it to 60 mg twice a day Four weeks later I had a heart attack because a clot formed in the stent I had to have another angioplasty and have lost significant heart tissue I feel backed into a corner because my doc won't change the med”

Tracy September 12, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Myocardial Infarction, Prophylaxis: “I had a stent put in my 90% blocked left lower descending artery. I was given Brilinta in the hospital but was also on oxygen. When I went home and took my first dose upon arrival it was a nightmare. I couldn’t seem to catch my breath. I panicked more than I ever have in my entire life. I sat up all night until it began to wear off. I shook like a leaf. I never want to feel like that again. My doctor put me on Prasugrel just once a day. I am so much better and so relieved!”

HighAltitudes December 15, 2015

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Acute Coronary Syndrome: “Brilinta 90mg 2x daily with 81mg aspirin. Dull aches all over body since starting this after a mild MI event, especially lower back (both sides). Mild, tolerable headaches as well but they are less frequent than body aches. Will be switching to Plavix, at least if the side effects are the same and the end result is the same, why am I buying Brilinta? Just doesn't feel safe.”

Judi · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) for Heart Attack: “I was prescribed brilinta sfter having stent put in. I started having severe shortness of breath within day's. Kept going downhill... Could not walk 20 ft. Without gasping for breath!!!! Doctor seemed unconcerned... I stopped taking it 4 days ago and feel like myself again and can breathe! Taking aspirin and acv Have check-up tomorrow and will let all know! I told them it was so bad but heart doc would not accept it was meds!”