User Reviews for Ticagrelor to treat Prevention of Atherothrombotic Events

Also known as: Brilinta

Ticagrelor has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Prevention of Atherothrombotic Events. 30% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Ticagrelor Rating Summary

4.7/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Atherothrombotic Events.

Reviews for Ticagrelor

Not My Real Name · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “CABG*5 in 2003 Initiated Brilinta following recent cath lab visit, replacing Plavix (clopidogrel). Dyspnea (short of breath) commenced immediately, especially when laying down. Quite severe. Very distressing. Greatly reduced with elevated head. Improved further with elevated head and laying on either side. Dyspnea at rest abated after a few weeks. Still experience dyspnea on exertion. Slow to clot; experienced occasional nose bleed, but easily controlled with pressure. Same out-of-pocket cost of Plavix and Brilinta (zero).”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Had 100% blockage in left leg. Stent was advised, but not put in - Instead, the artery was cleared. Was put on Brilinta 90mg twice daily. I experienced severe breathing difficulty after only 2 days, to the point I needed supplemental oxygen. I was unable to sleep more than a few minutes at a time. 2 days after quitting this drug, my breathing was back to normal.”

Farmgirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “After having a stent placed, I was put on 90 mg of Brilinta twice daily. On the second day of taking, my headaches started along with the shortness of breath, also nausea and back pain on the third day. This continued and on the fifth day, I had to be admitted back in to the hospital with what I thought to be a heart attack. While in the hospital I experienced quite a bit of blood in my urine. It was decided to take me off of Brilinta and start me on Plavix. I'm on my second day of Plavix and already doing much better!”

Doctor Tim January 30, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “At 90 years of age and after an MI and 2 stents, I started 90 mgs Brilinta twice daily and 88 mgs aspirin daily After reporting excessive bruising, aspirin was reduced to every other day. A few weeks later, I suffered dysonea severe enough that I thought of another MI. Even after the Brilinta dosage was reduced to 60 mgs twice daily, I experience mild dyspnea for a few hours after a dose. I am sleeping several hours a day longer than before. Though I also take lisinopril, metropolol and Liptor, Brilinta appears to be the only drug with unpleasant side effects. I would be interested to know how much lower might be the incidence of clotting with Brilinta as compared to aspirin alone. I really don't like the stuff.”

Living · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “While on the table after having two stents put in, the doctor took me off Plavix and gave me 4 Brilinta. For the next 3 weeks, I felt that the doctor had not put a stent in my heart, but rather somehow clogged it, for I had shortness of breath just like a heart attack. I couldn't go to sleep for forcing myself to take deep breaths which didn't seem to fill my need for air. My regular cardiologist took me off the Brilina and put me back on Plavix. No problems now and it cleared up within a day or two.”

Stefon · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Had weakness no energy went for catheterization found 90 percent blockage left artery they used a balloon only no stent because of location of blockage see I had a triple bypass in 2000 after a myocardial infact.. The blockage was were the graft that was sewed in. Dr put me on brilinta could not tolerate it, as I wasnot being able to breath ..I even went to ER thinking it was my heart but I was fine they thought it was a virus. But I thought I bet it's that drug, so I stopped it and I can breath now.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I have been on Brillinta for 30 days, I am also an asthmatic so breathing is always a problem. This medication does not make it any easier. I remember waking up because it felt like someone was covering my mouth and nose. I could not catch my breath. I am always tired body aches, lightheaded. Yes I do bleed heavy when it is a small cut. I bruise very easily. Everyday I wake up I have a new purple, red black and green bruise. As time goes on the breathing is not as bad. The bruising is still horrible. I pray one day soon I will be off this medication.”

StoneyEnd November 7, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I had a stent installed in right ventricle at 80% blockage. And then I was put on Brilinta for 1+ year. Minimal problems. Minor bruising in last few weeks. Minor bleeding early on. Can't tell if it's affecting breathing since I'm also on other meds (statin, metoprolil, lisiniprol ... pardon spelling errors). I was a runner, now am walk/jogger...a few miles/day, few times a week. Still experience some pressure/breathing occurrences during first few minutes, then I walk, and restart jogging. After a while (10-15 minutes, about a mile) this tends to go away and I can jog a little longer. No way to determine if any of the meds contribute to this. I look forward to stopping Brilinta very soon. Hope it helps the breathing/pressure but am pessimistic”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I had 1 stent placed March 2017. put on Brilinta 90 mg twice a day with baby aspirin in the morning. Shortness of breath started a week and 1/2 into cardio rehab. Was told as long as I could handle the shortness of breath it was more important to continue taking the drug. I called cardiologist about an inhaler. This time I am told that is for my primary to deal with. I am tired always, nap almost daily and now am anaemic. The anaemia adds to the shortness of breath and fatigue. I have also developed PICA. All I want to eat are dry rolled oats. I assume for the starch because it sure isn't for the taste. I can't wait for my one year to be over. The upper and lower GI I now have coming up are not what I planned on.”

Ms. D · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I had three stents put in on July 17, 2017. The surgery was very easy and successful. I was immediately put on Plavix which did not agree with me. I was then put on Brilanta and am doing ok with it it seems. However, I do get dizzy, feel fatigued and bruise horribly. My worst problem is being unable to take anything for pain for my arthritis and spinal stenosis. I sustained pinched nerves on C7 during the surgery and not being able to get a cortisone shot or even take an Aleve for pain and inflammation has literally made my life miserable. I was not told anything about having to expect these side effects either. I’m grateful for the stents but how can I improve the quality of my life while staying on this blood thinner for a year?”

ravioli1 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2017

“I have been on 90mg for a year and a half and 8 months ago began having diarrhea 5 x a day so asked if I could take the 60 mg and started on that a week ago and still have diarrhea. It may be isosorbide, but am thinking of changing to plavix. Does anyone else have diarrhea ?”

Lardav · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 16, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I have not experienced any clots or clogged stints. I do experience a lot of shortness of breath and bad fatigue. Both are side effects of Brilinta. Overall it's a good medicine.”

sprouts · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2016

“had stent 7 days ago getting breathless after taking this drug”

Learn more about Prevention of Atherothrombotic Events