User Reviews for Ticagrelor to treat Acute Coronary Syndrome

Also known as: Brilinta

Ticagrelor Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Acute Coronary Syndrome.

Reviews for Ticagrelor

Rusty July 30, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Been taking Brillinta for Acute Coronary Syndrome for 7 months, now I can’t even walk without having shortness of breath, wake up in the middle of night having breathing problems”

Tommo · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2020

“Two years ago in April 2018, I experienced an acute burning sensation in chest for 3 days. I ended up in Hospital and had 3 stents inserted into heart (2 in morning and another one in evening) for a distal left main stenosis which extended into the LAD. Besides my usual daily b.p. medication plus 100 mg Cartia I was also put onto Brilinta of one 90 mg. twice daily. Was on it for 2 years and did experience bruising, and shortness of breath but I had shortness of breath well before the stents were put in. My Cardio has now reduced Brilinta to 1/2 a dose of one 90 mg. tablet twice a day”

Gini · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I started having shakiness and hyperactivity the day after angioplasty. The doctors emphasized Brilinta is key to keeping the stents open. I am very sensitive to pharmaceuticals...I thought it might be one of the drugs but the doctors thought otherwise - attributing it to all the stress of the procedure and one small artery they could not stent. Then angina came back with shortness of breath. Started Imdur to counteract chest pain but shortness of breath (SOB) continued. The chest pain and shortness of breath continued to get worse so went to ER with angina, SOB, racing heart, coughing and impending sense of doom. Ended up staying overnight. Heart checked out ok and doctors finally attributed issues of angina, SOB and GERD to the side effects of Brilinta. Now I am on Plavix and no side effects so far. I was really regretting getting the stents and thought the alternative might have been better. Brilinta might be preferred drug for PCI but the side effects are horrible.”

Smokejumper · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “The drug Brillinta worked BUT was so expensive I was switched to Plavix.. Their drug assistance program is a sham..”

GB July 20, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I have taken Brilinta for a year after my angioplasty. I did not experience any side effects as such and it was like a regular medicine for me. I think it worked well for me..”

Gregg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “On Brilinta 10 months and then switched to Plavix. I was paying $400 per month for Brilinta and my Cardiologist had me in a study as they all make money using us as test rats. Plavix costs $7.50 for a 90 day supply folks so don't be BULLIED into using Brilanta.”

UHP · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “It was so bad having this drug. It has too many side effects. From the first dosage it started stomach aching and I had pain. Would never recommend.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Have been on Brilinta for almost 2 months after 1 stent. The shortness of breath is terrible. Sleep is spotty, so I'm doubly exhausted. I wake up multiple times needing to sit up and breathe. My gout has flared up continually since I started this drug, which used to hit every 3 months. All in all, I hate it.”

Surprise Diagnosis May 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I received Brilinta during procedure when I had 1 stent placed during angiogram I had acute coronary syndrome . In recovery, I had extreme shortness of breath, chest tightness, breast tissue ache, & extreme upper back pain. I told a nurse. Was this a heart attack? 3 cardiologists arrived. They agreed these were known side effects, told me why Brilinta was chosen, but agreed Plavix worked just as good & much better for me. Brilinta was stopped and my side effect symptoms resolved within hours. I'm lucky I have (3) responsive doctors. It's a cruel joke when a drug given to treat CV issues has side effects that mirror a CV event. Regardless of how good the drug is, IMO this can damage health/mental state of patients taking this drug to avoid CV problems. Shaken confidence can contribute to less optimal recovery. Doctors should pay attention to experiences & discuss side effects if they choose this drug. Then Brilinta can be used with confidence, or replaced quickly for those who have adverse reactions.”

Joe · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I have been on Brilinta since 2015 and outside of easy bruising I have had no side effects.”

PaulMenifee February 16, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “This medication was worse than the heart attack Long story short I could not breathe. I finally was able to discontinue after 1 year..symptoms improved within 3 days..none now. For me it was horrible and I would never recommend to anyone.”

Xon February 5, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “My son was put on this drug after 2 stents and a mild heart attack. At that time (2 1/2 months ago) he also experienced urinary problems and further testing reveals he also has a mass in/on his bladder and needs surgery. The cardiologist has refused to change the Brilinta and says he must wait at least 4 months to have the surgery. Every one in our family is most concerned.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I advice you not to take Brilinta. My husband woke up every 10 minutes scared of dying because he couldn't breath. He coughed and had blurred vision too. This medication should be off market. We had 2 sleepless weeks while he was in Brilinta”

MpoOzzy August 16, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “BrIlinta all but put me in the grave. It stopped my breathing...over 100 times in one day. Given to me after catheterization. And no sleep. Was sent home with a change in my meds...Brilinta. Got in the house and started to take a nap as I was crashing... My breathing stopped. I had to try several times before breathing restarted...horrible This went on through out the day. Could not get the doctors to call me. Called Walgreen...that helped. Was told no antidote and was told to flush system with lots of water Not to take any more Berlinta...but use Privosate... At nine pm in the evening I went out side and walked to try to establish breathing pattern...about 11:00 PM was able to breath well enough to sleep. Horrible experience. HORRIBLE BEWARE YOU LIFE”

Salesmanshouse August 2, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Had a heart attack on Nov 2016 was put on Brilinta x2 a day. I too have experience fatigue, bruising, blurred vision and shortness of breathe. Takes me a long time to get started of the morning then about 3:00 pm... I'm ready to nap but can't bc I work.”

Robcoop July 8, 2017

“Very effective no side effects”

Feller1 March 19, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Started Brilinta Nov 6 2016 after a heart attack and Stent. Three days later I had a major anxiety attack because I could not breathe. The shortness of breath got better after one month. I am constantly tired and frequently napping. The worst side effect has been 4 months of constant gout. I am now at the maximum dose of allopurinol to control my gout. I cannot wait to change over to Plavix even though it will mean frequent blood testing.”

Babyslothsarecute · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2017

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Had heart attack 12/15/2016 and put on Brilinta 90mg twice a day, plus 81mg Aspirin once a day. I experienced shortness of breath, and a cough. Went to see my Cardiologist, he says the shortness of breath will get better, and the cough is not related to the Brilinta. Recently I started feeling soreness on the tops of my hands I press on the veins, and soreness increases. I have now developed large bruises on the top of both hands, with slight swelling. My vision also has changed, bluryness in my left eye, I see no documentation that this is a side effect. Anyone else have this?”

zamboni1000 December 27, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Have only been on Brilinta 3 days after 2 stents put in because of blockages, but was concerned enough to start looking for reviews. I have pains over my body, diarrhea and have had some shortness of breath. will be asking my doctor when I go to see him this week as advised after my procedure.”

Irishhorse · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 4, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I've been reading other people's experiences and I wonder if I'm on the same medication. I am 74 years old, and I've been on Brilinta with 81 aspirin since 2/29/16, when I had 92% blockage in the widow maker, the descending major heart artery. Thankful that I was in the doctor's office when I had my heart attack, I ended up with two stents and Brilinta. I have had no noticeable side effects. I exercise three days a week in our local life center, with both aerobic and resistance exercises, and I have never experienced anything like the excessive fatigue I read others complaining of. Other than cuts or scrapes taking a little longer to coagulate I have had no bleeding to complain about. Maybe the Brilinta I'm receiving is just better.”

NightRyder604 November 3, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “Had bypass 20 years ago. August 2016 had to have 2 stents and was put on Brilinta. Short of breath most of time. But fatigue is huge problem. MD says if caused by Brilinta maybe time to try Plavix. Not sure if that will be any better. All these meds have such horrible side effects!”

Jayabrata Deb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2016

“I am ( 68 years old) taking Brilanta ( Ticagrelor) since December 2015 after having a heart attack and insertion of one stent. During first few months I had problem with even minor bruises when the blood was not clotting easily. Otherwise I have not experienced any internal bleeding or shortness in breath even when I was walking at moderate speed of 4.5 to 5 KM per hour for 30-45 mins. I have also problem of acute pancreatitis for which my food is low on fat for last few years. I only have to watch after completion of one year.”

Rickedoc September 24, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “I was on this med for a year after having angioplasty with the placements of two stents I was on 90mg twice a day and such bruising that after a year my doctor lowered it to 60 mg twice a day Four weeks later I had a heart attack because a clot formed in the stent I had to have another angioplasty and have lost significant heart tissue I feel backed into a corner because my doc won't change the med”

barther · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “While sleeping I experience night-time shortness of breath bad enough to wake me up gasping for air. Now I know why; Brilinta. Very fatigued also. Takes All morning to get going. Some rear-thigh cramps at night also. Other than that I suppose it's working to keep me from having a clot form. My Surgeon says he'll take me off Brilinta on my first anniversary date of heart attack; Yeah!”

maguire1 · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2016

Brilinta (ticagrelor): “this drug caused incredible severe nosebleeds that landed me in the hospital, to the point where my bathroom looked like a crime scene. Had to miss work because of the side effect of the drug. I had to use two inhalers, one was daily and one was a rescue inhaler due to severe shortness of breath. This drug should not be on the market, it is dangerous!”

Learn more about Acute Coronary Syndrome