User Reviews for Ticagrelor to treat Heart Attack

Brand names: Brilinta

Ticagrelor has an average rating of 2.7 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Heart Attack. 4% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 76% reported a negative experience.

Ticagrelor rating summary

2.7/10 average rating

Compare all 95 medications used in the treatment of Heart Attack.

Reviews for Ticagrelor

Another Time · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 12, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I've been on Brilinta for 7 months and am seeing the Doctor tomorrow to demand I be taken off of it, after another visit to the ER today. I had a stent put in 7 months ago and have been on 90 Mg twice a day. Side effects are atrocious. Swelling in legs and arms, disturbed sleep, fatigued so greatly I have to just...rest... I particularly feel it in my legs and back of thighs. Stiffness when I awake. The fatigue is extreme. What I find disturbing is I report the pain, the swelling and exceptional fatigue and I am told "your medication wouldn't cause that", yet when one reads the side effects and these reviews there it is. We often hear of side effects and think "well it happens to a minority of people", but with Brilinta I'm convinced it is a majority who experience unacceptable side effects. If I can't spent time with family, can't work properly and get poor sleep...those are things that stress you to have another heart attack surely."

Kleinman · Taken for less than 1 month · September 2, 2022

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "Began taking Brilinta after a Heart Attack. Gasping for breath became a common occurrence. Caused a frequent feeling of oxygen deprivation. Drifting off to sleep became a fearful experience (would be awakened gasping and gulping for oxygen). Scary situation. After researching and identifying Brilinta as a possible culprit for these episodes, I stopped taking the drug. That day of stopping the drug, the breathing problems began to improve. I was able to sleep soundly and no longer had episodes of gasping for breath during the day. Within 24-48 hours of stopping Brilinta, all breathing problems were gone. I refused to continue to take the Brilinta despite the doctor's recommendation that I remain on this medication. Doctor finally agreed to replace the Brilinta with Plavix."

Too young for all of this... · December 31, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "HA with one stent in LAD and was prescribed Metoprolol and Brilinta. A week later the side effects all kicked in: shooting chest pains, racing heart, chest/arms/legs tingling, jitteriness and anxiety. I felt like I was having another HA so spent the weekend in the ER where they didn't find anything wrong. My GP prescribed anxiety meds which provided some helped a bit. After a month of complaining to my cardiologist, they finally took me off of metoprolol and the anxiety, jitters and racing heart rate went away. I was still getting chest pains, shortness of breath, and was feeling nauseous. Another month and I convinced my Dr to switch from Brilinta to Effient and the remaining side effects went away. I'm finally starting to feel normal. Not all Drs are open to modifying patients meds which can be a real issue if you are experiencing negative side effects so please advocate for yourself."

DC · Taken for less than 1 month · August 5, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I had a heart attack last Wednesday 7-31 and after having a stent placed I was started on Brilinta. So far I’m not happy with this drug. I am totally fine during the day, but in the middle of the night while sleeping I get woke up with severe shortness of breath. It takes about an hour plus for me to feel better. But now I wake up exhausted due to little sleep. I have been on plavix in the past and it worked fine only thing I had was bruising and I’d rather have that over not being able to catch my breath."

Nano · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 9, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "Just finished my last dose of Brilinta. Was on the medication for 12 months related to Stent and CABGx4 (August 2019). Noticed bruising which is a known side effect of the medication. Gum bleeding only when brushing and would easily stop. Recommend an ultra soft toothbrush. Someone mentioned arm and leg pain in another review, I have some of that pain/feelings but not to the level that I would compare it to MS. What may be the difference for me is that I followed my recovery protocol seriously by maintaining a healthy diet, exercise, and strict adherence to my meds and maintaining my glucose for my diabetes to an A1c of 5.1."

Bumblebee46 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 15, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I had a Mild heart attack with stents fitted. I took Brilinta for 7 months and reported the shortness of breath on various occasions. Eventually I insisted I was taken off. 3 months on I have now been suffering really bad anxiety attacks which of course includes shortness of breath. I am fully convinced this is as a direct result of being on this medication."

Judi · Taken for less than 1 month · February 28, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I was prescribed brilinta sfter having stent put in. I started having severe shortness of breath within day's. Kept going downhill... Could not walk 20 ft. Without gasping for breath!!!! Doctor seemed unconcerned... I stopped taking it 4 days ago and feel like myself again and can breathe! Taking aspirin and acv Have check-up tomorrow and will let all know! I told them it was so bad but heart doc would not accept it was meds!"

HenryC · October 6, 2022

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I have been on Brilinta for just over a month due to a heart attack blocking 100% of left side. In the hospital I immediately told docs about my breathing issue. They said it was sleep apnea. I told them it was not. Awake sitting there and it would out of blue hit me, standing. And yes at times a sleep. Pharmascist at hospital said this was a serious side effect and need to talk to doctor about. I did. 2 of them plus the docs pharmacist. No they told me it couldn't be. And I would simply die with out it. (Had stent put in). Then I started getting headaches about an hour to 2 hours after taking Brilinta, which was also when Breathing issues would start and last up to another 2 hours. Then I noticed I started loosing my temper. That is not like me. Things started really setting me off at times that normally I would shrug off. I also feel like there is a disconnect on thoughts now on something, hard to describe. Don't know why docs wont listen."

Willow · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 12, 2022

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I was on Brilinta a month after heart attack and stent. . The cost of these horrific pills is criminal. There should be a buy back program. I feel docs prescribe it only because they listen to drug reps. Reps are only interested in $$$$. I had shortness of breath to the point of having to stop walking every 20 feet. How can you exercise when you are short of breath, the heart races and is overtaxed?? The back pain rivalled spinal fractures and the newly acquired sleep apnea with resulting gasping and headache makes one afraid to sleep. These problems shake ones confidence in any type of recovery. They switched me to Plavix...this should have been prescribed first, not making $$$ for Astea Zeneca. I'm sick of this already !!!! Shame on these drug companies!!!!"

Layla · Taken for less than 1 month · June 21, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "Had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and feel like I am going crazy! I am constantly short of breath and my anxiety levels are off the charts. I can barely sleep and if I do doze off I jerk awake feeling like I am being choked. My doctor said he will switch me to Plavix next month. This medication should be reviewed again too dangerous!"

Mar · Taken for less than 1 month · April 14, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I had terrible side effects from this drug Brilinta. Aside from feeling exhausted I was unable to breath and was gasping for breathe. I felt sluggish and tired all of the time. I could not take a deep breath. It felt like asthma. After a month of being switched to prasurgel (effient) I felt much better and more normal."

BB · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 7, 2019

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I've been on Brilinta since December 27, 2018 it seems as though my breathing is getting worse by the day. Feel like I'll could just stop and not inhale, 39 year smoker. Now stopped on that date after heart attack and stent. What to do? Says I need to be on it for a year"

Tim · Taken for 1 to 2 years · May 20, 2022

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "One of the worst medications on the market. Due to the discomfort and bleeding even on a very small cut, this medication isn't worth the risks taking. Stopping Brilinta is also as bad as the side effects, only multiplied. My side effects from this was muscle loss, stomach bloating, join pain, large bruises for no reason, irregular breathing, slower than normal walking and reflex. To name a few."

billmmanley · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · March 3, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "I took this drug for eight months. After a month I experienced regular nose bleeds, headaches, high degree of bruising, extreme difficulty urinating. Things got so bad, that if I sneezed, my nose would start bleeding. After eight months, my cardiologist switched me to clopidogrel. Within two weeks, all these side effects went away. The only down side is that I can't eat grapefruit. I do not recommend this drug at all. In addition, it costs over $400 per month verses $7.50 for clopidogrel."

Jotdog · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 3, 2021

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "After 3 months on a Statin with many side effects attributed to the Statin, I began experiencing an increasing shortness of breath. It became so difficult to breath and it cause irregular heart rhythms. 3 times to emergency where when I said I thought it was a side effect I was told, not a known side effect. When Cardioligist finally called, said "Brilinta known to cause shortness of breath will switch you over to Plavix." This drug is causing some side effects and hopefully I can live with them until I am no longer in need, about another 6 months."

Barneyfife · April 5, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "Taking Brilinta now legs, back and arms all sore and don’t function well. I feel as though I have M.S. can’t walk without pain and even lying in bed pain persists. I have plavix but was switch because of possible hives. What do I do"

carolinthegarden · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 29, 2021

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "After a month taking Brilinta I was so short of breath that even bending over caused me to huff and puff. I thought I had heart failure and went to the ER. This is a very costly medication with many side effects, the shortness of breath being common! I should have been alerted about that common problem when the drug was prescribed! I paid $ 340 for another month's supply and now am stuck with the unopened container. Plavix appears to have many less side effects and is cheap compared to this new drug. My Rx has been changed to Plavix."

scotsrish · June 29, 2020

"I had a heart attack and two stents nearly 3 months ago. Was on ASA, Ticagrelor, Crestor, Bisoprolol, Ramipril and Tecta. After one month of bad side effects I was reduced to Asa, Ticagrelor, Tecta and the occasional Crestor. Since the beginning the bad side effects have been tightness in chest, trouble getting deep breath, occasional blood in stool and chronic cramps and diarrhea, occasional blood in sinuses, anxiety, heart palpitations, raw throat and esophagus, stomach pain and constant indigestion , fatigue and easily bruise. This is ticagrelor (Brilanta) without a doubt and it is becoming scary thinking of how it is hurting my body. Time for a change in this med."

Bumblebee46 · October 8, 2020

"Insisted on being taken off Ticagrelor after 7 months due to shortness of breath but also numerous sore throat and gullet incidences. Now have had 3 over three months of being treated for really bad anxiety attacks - especially on waking. Still suffering bad throats too. Would be interested to know of any similar sufferers."

Johnny be good · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 30, 2019

"After taking this medicine for over 2 years, had gout every 10 days or so even though I followed all good gout dietary advice and virtually became a vegetarian, This medicine was indicated to me as the Rolls Royce of anti platelet medicines. Asked cardiologist to take me off it and on to Clopidigrel. He took me off Ticagrelor Brillique and put me on 75 mg aspirin daily. That was 2 months ago. Haven't had a gout attack since. I do not Ticagrelor. In my opinion it should not be prescribed for gout sufferers, because there are alternatives which have only marginally worse outcomes in terms of mortality stroke etc. International studies have shown that the effects on gout sufferers have been underestimated. Not a medicine I would want to take again. Also caused numerous bleeding marks from time to time under my skin. OK it might have saved me from further cardio issues but who knows that ?"

C C · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 16, 2020

"I had Stents after heart attack and put on Brilinta - it is a horrible nasty drug I got my Doctor to take me off it. The side effects are so bad, I felt like a zombie in a trance state My skin went so bad, bruises, cuts, blisters. My mental health went worse, confused, lost my phone, bank card while on it. I feel so much better since I stoped taking it Some medication doesn't suit everybody"

Krysia · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 14, 2022

"Had heart attack 3 months ago - one stent. Put on ticagrelor, aspirin etc. Had breathing difficulties, bad upper back pain which gradually moved to heart area. Caused 2 emergency hospital visits for nothing because it was caused by the ticagrelor even though my cardiologist vehemently denied this. Fortunately the hospital staff suggested Plavix and my GP complied. Beginning to feel like myself at last."

Diana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 26, 2021

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "After suffering a widow maker heart attack in October 2020 I was put on ticagrelor twice daily with dispersible aspirin. Sometimes I feel I have to gulp for air and I cannot sleep for long periods, waking two or three times during the night. The most distressing side effects for me is the painful heavy bruising. I checked this morning and I have total of 15 bruises. They are all really painful with red swollen lumps in the center. My cardiologist has insisted that I remain on this medication to prevent another serious heart attack."

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 22, 2018

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "Hemorrhaging. I had to have a blood transfusion. I could have died!"

Whenna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 8, 2020

Brilinta (ticagrelor) "Shortness of breath, could not sleep ,headache ,muscle cramp on my legs"