User Reviews for Januvia

Learn more about Januvia.

Januvia Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Januvia to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Took januvia for two months and started to get joint pain which got so severe I could hardly walk. I have been off it for one week but still have pain in my legs especially the right. Would never recommend this drug to anyone, the side effects are really bad. The medication is expensive."

Bagshawpiazza September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Developed neck swelling within a week, could not breathe, went to ICU, trachea closed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For years I was on no drugs for type 2 diabetes, only diet. My a1c test were always around 6.1, and then my dr put me on januvia. My sugars are now averaging 15.7. The dr has just upped my dose to 1-1/2 pills of januvia and added diaformin. WHY?? From good control with no pills to out of control in 4 months. I'm really starting to doubt the doctors motives."

DaveA44-4-44 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great works for me 94pt avg"

FBW (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi I took Januvia for 1 year and 1/2 it was helping me regulate my Diabetes. But I started to have a abnormal pain in my abdomen and didn't know why never though that it was caused because of this medication. one day I had the pain so bad that I couldn't walk or stand, I went to the Hospital got admitted right away because I had Pancreatitis. I got Metformin for my diabetes, for the pain I had a lot of IV's. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days in the 3rd day the doctor told me that the cause of my Pancreatitis was the medication I was taking JANUVIA. I know this works for a lot of people to help them control the sugar like it did for me, but please make sure that you tell your doctor make the necessary test every time you go to see if you are ok internally."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Januvia for about a year and a half. My AIC went down from 9.0 to 8.0. However, I have developed nausea, dizziness, vomiting which I never know when it will hit. Had colonoscopy and they found nothing. In last six months developed dumbness in my right arm and hand, reflux which keeps me up at night, constant urination about every 45 minutes and fatigue (this has added three more pills to my daily intake for those symptoms). Told my doctor and he said to keep taking Januvia and that I was not getting any younger. However, I read here that others have similar side affects once on Junuvia."

Anonymous February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took januvia for about 1 year then one day my stomach started to swell up drastically and my wife took me to the hospital when I arrived I could no longer walk and was put in a wheelchair. I was admitted but passed out, when I came to I had 4 I-V's in me and was totally soaked like I had just jumped in a pool. My white blood cell count was over 3,000, off the chart. One nurse accused me of overdosing on street drugs.. I was in the hospital for 3-1/2 days and spent 2 weeks on the couch and 2-3 months having people tell me I looked like I was dying and asked what was wrong. Januvia snuck up on me like a poison snake. It overtook my system in 45 minutes from being with an irritable stomach to knowing I was dying and there was nothing I could do"

strunk (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am unable to take this medication because Merck will not let me use the coupon because I am on medicaid. What difference does it make what insurance I have if they are not covering it and I have to pay cash anyway? I find this discriminatory. The coupon should be available for anyone paying for the medication."

CRjC January 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A big warning. If you are going at a party drinking alcohol - then skip that januvia in the morning ! I got disabled from my chest and down to my feet, I couldn"

the swede (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst drug i've ever been on. My sugars went from a controlled 120 to over 350 in a matter or weeks. Invokana was giving me severe yeast infections so I asked for a change. Now i don't have YI but this medication doesn't do anything to lower my sugar. If anything it makes my sugar higher. Seeing my doctor Thursday to switch back or to something else."

Melissa Pzz November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Januvia caused me severe muscle cramps, bad enough that I should have gone to the hospital because of the pain. I also got where I could not sleep at night while on januvia. It was also not effective for me. I was placed on Invokana in addition. I am still having side effects after stopping both of these. My doctor did not even bother to return my call when I took my self off of Januvia. Because the spasms are in my neck-shoulder area, it has caused me to drop 40 pounds off of my weight lifting work out. This is not good. I would encourage anyone considering Januvia or Invokana to do research on the side effects because my side effects were not common, but the drug company lied to doctors about all of the side effects."

wrangler jane November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No side effects with this med at all and blood sugar readings have been lower. This medication is expensive but my Dr provided me with a savings coupon and I pay $5 out of pocket."

June071965 November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Januvia for several years. Had tightness/pain in my lower abdomen which I assume was related to my pancreas. Blood sugars did not get lowered. Stopped taking Januvia and my sugars went down 30 points. My cost went from $47 to $167 for 30 day supply because of Medicare Donut Hole so I had to stop. Drug is way to expensive for what it does."

DL# August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Januvia side effects include crippling, debilitating pain, and swelling. Dad's been taking it since March 2015, and by August could barely walk. He had joint swelling, and excruciating pain. Doctor after doctor visit. No clue! Called me, his daughter, RN BSN, and we returned to the doctor wanting to know why he didn't know more about this drugs side effects. NONE OF THEM DO! A friend veteran, same thing. Could hardly Stanfield the pain, talking about swollen and angioedema. They even ran heart tests! It was the Januvia, and my dad, and the vet, taken off Januvia have completely recovered. The veteran had even been referred to a rheumatologist. My dad is now taking chromium type supplements, and watching his carbs. Doing very well."

yukidongo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had type 2 for about 6 years and used the Metaformin, which with constant usage reduced in its effectiveness. I was told to reduce my Metaformin to 1 per day and take Januvia. I lost 12 KG in 4 weeks, most excellent, and then 2 weeks ago severe pain in my right knee... After many X-rays and MRTs I was diagnosed with Arthritis and told to take pain killers and consider a replacement in the next 10 years.despite both of my doctors knowing that I am diabetic type 2, and both knowing that I take Januvia, they did not inform me of any side effects and so I believed the information and set about studying what I could to to repair the damage..Then I had pain in my Hips, fingers, and cramp in the legs. Googled and found this site..."

Chris Pibs (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The side effects of 50 mg Januvia with Metformin ER were horrendous. Painful finger joints. Swelling fingers. Stuffy ears. Unbelievable dizziness which caused nausea and dry heaves. The diarrhea has been so awful that I can't leave home. I stopped the Januvia 4 days ago. The dizziness stopped fist. Then my hands settled down. The diarrhea has not stopped. My DR believes that I have parasites because Januvia, in conjunction with Metformin ER, doesn't cause diarrhea like this. Getting tested tomorrow AND I have to go back on Januvia. Not looking forward to this at all. What a mess."

XYD July 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not sure about any medicine I take. But Januvia was 56 bucks in Sept 14, now it is 96 bucks, Got a letter from them after complaining, their answer priced competitively, what does that mean when there is not competition????? There is no Generic and they know it. Tempted to take myself off of it, found that if I forget it for two days, I crash when resuming the medicine.."

postal1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug came after a bad reaction to Metformin. It is definitely not any better. From day one I have had diarrhea. And the heaviness in my arms is still present. Now the leg spasms are showing up but it is the abdominal pain and the excruciating back pain that take this drug out of the running. I am coming off of it. I can't afford for this drug to kill me. Nausea has been a problem within 3 days of beginning it. Be wary. . .be alert."

ChapKat (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My A1c was 13.9 and I was Prescribed Januvia 100mg Tab 34 Days ago & my A1c is now a 9.6. I have noticed a Change of my Health since starting Januvia. I'm experiencing Severe Painful Muscle Spasms to both Legs to Feet, Numbness to Right Arm & Hand, Slight Abdominal Pains, Urination is every 5 Minutes and Bowel Movements are 3 Times/Day & a Slight Pain in Lower Back is Constant. Typing the Keyboard on my Laptop is a Challenge because both Hands and Arms are shaking, 2 hrs to type this Review correctly is a Challenge. Only 34 Januvia Pills later I'm feeling these affects that were not Normal 34 Days ago. My Blood Pressure Meds have been Raised from 10mg to 30mg after 15yrs on 10mg Dosage. Doc said, Keep taking Januvia, Have to get A1c to a 5."

VeteranGA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had no side effects from Januvia. My A1C went from 9.2 to 5.5 using 1500 mg of Metformin and 100 mg Januvia, and adjusting my diet and exercising a bit. I am lucky in tht neither Metformin or Januvia seems to bother me. There is a savings certificate on the Januvia site to keep the co pay down to $5, normally it would be $55 for me."

MitchFlorida (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would have given it a 10 because I felt it was really working for me. But....after about 6 days of having a horrible stomach ache I've thrown in the towel. I just can't take it. I'm really bummed out because I can't take Metformin either. :("

PrincessBailey November 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works real good, my doctor is happy now. The only side effect is large hard stool which plugs the bathroom plumbing up every time, so I need to carry a plunger with me when away from home. Have been on it for about 3 months now, 100mg daily, along with 1000mg Metformin twice daily, and 4mg Glipizide twice daily."

Joe from Michigan October 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been diabetic since 1989 and have gotten worse over the years. My A1C has been climbing steadily. I take Metformin 2500 mg per day. In March my Dr started me on Januvia also and I can't believe the difference. My A1C went from 9.4 to 7.0 in 4 months. I am also surprised I haven't had any side effects because it seems many meds bother me. My problem now is my new health insurance won't cover Januvia as of Jan 2016. Yuck."

Love my Cats (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My insurance refused to pay for my oseni they told my Dr to try januvia. During the first 7 days I developed a constant cough along with upper stomach pain and diarrhea I stopped med and symptoms ceased, started back on meds yesterday and severe stomach pain returned along with diarrhea. Stopping this med for good - it's not good for me, the side affects are too painful."

Iwd (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking Januvia for almost 2 wks .... almost instantly had difficulty breathing, rapid heart beat and coughing. I have more energy but i don't like the side effects. i have a hard time talking bc I'm constantly coughing and thats not good especially when you're a college instructor. Just called my MD to see if there's something else i can try."

Ritacatl August 24, 2015