User Reviews for Ramipril to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Altace

Ramipril Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Ramipril

Little Giant · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2020

“Have just started Ramipril 10 mg daily this week. While I do endure a mild annoying headache, I have been able to feel free breathing. I appreciate the many comments posted, they have been informative and consoling. To the gentleman who lost his wife, my sincerest condolences. Thank you for the warning, I hope research is forth coming to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.”

EllaUK · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2020

“Was put on a low dose of Ramipril (1.25 mg) for hypertension of 144/98. After only five days of taking it I noticed a sudden increase in intermittent spasmodic chest pains and a heavy feeling that came and went throughout the day and night. Quite distressing and anxiety provoking. Almost like a panic attack. I also noticed fatigue type symptoms. I've stopped taking it and will contact my GP to find something else.”

Holy moly · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 15, 2020

“I'm taking ramipril for two years now. My blood pressure was 160/90 so I was put on 2.5 mg and then upped to 5mg. My blood pressure dropped to 120/80. and with some lifestyle changes I'm back to 2.5mg and looking to lower it to 1.25mg. I did feel the dizziness others felt so I take my tablets going to bed and all good now.. they worked well for me.”

Rafa · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2020

“Taken Ramipril since November 2019. First had prescribed 2.5mg on 145/98 BP. After month blood pressure dropped to 130/90. From December on 5mg and now have 125/80. I'm happy with result. First few weeks of taking it I was feeling dizzy, especially in the shops. Now is fine. Sometimes I have itchy throat at night time but last only few minutes. I'm using only powder from capsule because shell is build from many E ingridients. Just mixing powder with lemon juice and some water. Remember to do cardio exercises. It helps a lot if you feel dizzy from the tablets.”

Ian Jenkins · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2020

“DO NOT USE. I was prescribed Ramipril for high blood pressure. I came out with small lumps first followed by extremely itchy areas covering most of my body. Lumps turn to blotches where your skin weeps then area turns tight as though you have bad sunburn. I have never suffered so much discomfort in my life. This medication should be barred.”

Bill · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 1, 2020

“I was put on this as blood pressure was spiking up at over 210. It has worked well with minor side effects. I am now on 10mg plus bisoporol, and around the 150 mark”

Bears February 16, 2020

“I have been on ramipril for about 4 years now I have a cough for 4 months was on 5mg but today I have stopped taking them to see if the cough is from the tablets”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“Only on 1.25mg ramipril and it hasn't affected my BP still 127/92 but the side affects are awful. My anxiety is worse. It's made me depressed. I've had an awful phlegm cough that makes me gag. And very dizzy. Will be asking to come off it.”

lady1981 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2020

“I have been on this medication since 2011 and was fine until recently when I got a bad cough. Do I live with the cough or ask for another pill? Other than that I have taken this without any problems.”

Kochi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2020

“I used to take ramipril capsule made by bristol for 3 months, never had a broken capsule ,since the chemist changed my capsule to ramipril capsule made by Brown & Burk 3 months ago I had 3 broken capsules so far. This happen when I pop it out of the bubble and I end up with powder all over my hand.It happened with 2.5 mg and 5 mg as well.”

Hare Krishna November 24, 2019

“On 19th November 2019: I was with doctor and nurse, both found my BP very high from 180/100 up to 200/110. I was prescribed it more than 1 year ago and now I was questioned by them why I was not talking it. As it was too high and I was at the risk of having stroke, I decided to take it. Right from the next day, my highest BP was 150/97. I normally get up early for prayer. This morning just after I got up, the BP reading was 112/77. To me it this is working at the cost of some less serious side effects such as occasional dry cough, feeling little bit of nausea, eyes boring ( it was worse when I slept 6 hours and it was not there when I slept for 7), feeling of as if I have a very low level of fever. I needed something to make the BP down and I glad this worked. Mind you I am taking 5 mg a day. I suppose, any dose lesser than that would have much lesser side effects on me. I am thinking to request the doctor for a lower dose.”

guy355 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 11, 2019

“I was prescribed Ramipril 2.50mg to bring my BP down which was spiking between 145/90 to 155/85. I found the usual headaches, dizziness and tiredness during the first few weeks. Those symptoms never really went away. I think I just was able to manage them better as time went on. My BP did drop to around 120/80 though. But have recently found the dizziness started to affect me a bit more, especially walking in busy shops. I've gone to the GP to ask for a lower dosage of 1.25mg. I've only been on it for 3 days. My BP has gone up slightly around 125/80. But I shall monitor that over the next few weeks. I've also noticed the 1.25mg has given me a slightly more drier throat. Not sure if it is do with the coating of the capsule as the medicine should be the same as before. If BP goes up anymore and dizziness is the same I shall go back to the usual 2.50mg dosage, I will have just got to live with it.”

Little bear · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

“Took this med ramipril for several weeks for high BP, hoped cough would go away but the cough became disruptive and unbearable to the point of gagging, gasping for air and a feeling of being smothered. I slept with my clothes on, in case I had to call an ambulance because I could not breathe. I felt quite panicky, my ribs hurt from coughing and I developed aches and pains all over my body. Cough became very bronchial with wheezing, whistling noises and a croupy sound. My feet tingled and burned and I was dizzy and extremely exhausted.Scalp broke out in an itchy, scaly rash. I could barely function. Went off this medication a couple of months ago but the symptoms persisted. Today, October24/19, is the first day that the cough is less severe and I don't feel like I'm being smothered. The sores on my scalp are still there as well as the aches and pains. Hopefully they'll all disappear now.”

Gypsyrose · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

“I've been taking 2.5 mg of Ramipril for a month now, and although it has lowered my bp somewhat, I really don't like the side effects of this drug. I constantly feel dizzy, and the tiredness is overwhelming at times, so much so that I'm sleeping the whole day away on my days off work. Nausea is another problem, an increase in anxiety and shakiness. Not nice at all. I really want to come off this”

gymouse59 · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

“I was very wary of taking Ramipril even more so when I read the contents of the capsule that it is encased in, however my husband suggested emptying out the contents of the capsule in to a small glass of water, I googled it and it is fine to do this. The powder is pretty much tasteless. The casing of the brand of Ramipril which I am taking contains 5 E numbers, one of which is apparently banned by the EU and I didn't want those in my body, I've had a positive response with my blood pressure coming down and I haven't experienced any side effects !”

Gamer · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

“This medication to start with did not appear to have any side effects. Being diagnosed with hypertension after fainting at work I obviously needed to be on something. Being on anti depressants as well I went on a very low dose (the anti depressants I've been on for years, they've always helped) However it started to cause me to have serious panic attacks dizziness and terrible anxiety at numerous times of the day which would be so overpowering and generally so down that getting through a day was so hard. The intrusive thoughts were worse which were as bad as dark thoughts and fear of being out in public, so scary. I'm now on a blood pressure tablets which seems to be working so fingers crossed I'll be alright. I do urge for anyone that gets these side effects to go straight to your GP.”

mami · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 8, 2019

“Been taking ramipril for the last 5 years declined my GFR (glomerular filtration rate - test to see kidney function) from 90 to 60. As well, feel pain on my right kidney. Do not recommend it and advise to have your kidneys checked ASAP.”

Jacko · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2018

“Took 2.5 Ramipril for high blood pressure. My side effects, itching. Looked up ingredients saw there was yellow ochre in them, changed to 5 mg. Which has red ochre in them, no problem . As I am allergic to spring flowering bulbs I’m thinking the yellow ochre has something to do with this making me itch. Could be wrong but not itching with the 5 mg”

Jonboy April 24, 2018

“Hi folks. Just back from seeing the nurse at my doctors surgery. Been on Ramipril since before Christmas and nothing changed. Added in Amlodipine and again no change. I started looking at what tablets I'm already taking as I had really bad itching and a dry mouth all day. Amitriptyline stood out on the side effects but it also had as a side effect, high blood pressure. So after reading that last week I just stopped taking it and my blood pressure is now normal again. What really gets my back up about this is, (in my case anyway) the doctors didn't look to see what I was already taking for pain relief and see if that could be causing the high b/p , they just throw more tablets at you and hope it works instead of putting some thought into it. If anyone on here is taking Ramipril or whatever one and it isn't helping, I would suggest looking at what you are all ready on and see if that could be causing the high blood pressure. Take care folks.”

Marhar · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2018

“Headaches seem to be ongoing I assume it’s ramipril, my dr suggested take 1/2 hydrocodone to take the same time, Always concerned about other drugs interacting. Stresses me more,”

Em · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2018

“I started on ramiprill for my high blood pressure (2.5mg) at beginning of Feb 2018 - 6 weeks in and I'm fine apart from a seriously irritating cough - that comes without warning even when you are sat quietly or engaged in conversation - it makes your eyes water - been back to the Dr today and he has given me 25mg of Losartan that is slightly higher in dose but apparently will ease this cough from ramipril- I'm a bit apprehensive to take it but can't carry on with the ramipril cough -(I stuck between rock and a hard place springs to mind) - going to take a few weeks to work but I will update with how things are going - I'm 43”

bigJimmy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2018

“Was put on Ramipril 2.5mg by my GP in the UK as a tester after having consistently high BP (160/105 average) . I am a slim, fit non smoker and my BP is hereditary. For the first couple of days I felt a bit `giddy` and lightheaded at times but persevered with it. Took BP after 5 days and it was 126/80. It has been consistent since so I have to say that it works. Some of the people that write these reviews are hypochondriacs that spend their whole lives with exaggerated ailments and worries. I appreciate that not all drugs work for everyone but ramipril has some glowing PROFESSIONAL reviews and if all you need is your BP lowered then it's undeniably effective in practice.”

Gerbo · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2018

“Hi been on 2.5 ramipril and 2.5 bisoprolol furmanate for hypertension but getting headaches and light buzzing in my hands and fingers and arms feeling tired. Does anyone else experienced these side affects”

Ellie · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2018

“Started the drug a week ago due to high blood pressure 182/107. This wasn't taken at hospital when I was due an infusion for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Told I would not be given it and to see my GP, He took blood pressure That dropped by 30 points from previous day. Think white coat syndrome may be involved. Anyway, have now been taken off it after not even a week as suffering from nausea, light headedness, loss of appetite, extreme tiredness, heart fluttering. Seeing GP in a couple of weeks and will take it from there. Only thing I got told when I asked about side effects was that I might get a cough.”

Shanila · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2018

“Poor lifestyle and extreme stress sent my BP soaring to 196/132. I was immediately prescribed Ramipril I took the medicine @ 4pm and by 10pm I took my BP reading it was 153/95. Still some work to do to bring it down but for day one not bad at all. I use a wireless cuff BP machine Qardio which tracks all the readings I make which help me guide the GP. It also tells me if I have an irregular heart beat. Good investment.”