User Reviews for Ramipril

Also known as: Altace

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ramipril.

Ramipril Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 338 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Ramipril to treat High Blood Pressure

"Poor lifestyle and extreme stress sent my BP soaring to 196/132. I was immediately prescribed Ramipril I took the medicine @ 4pm and by 10pm I took my BP reading it was 153/95. Still some work to do to bring it down but for day one not bad at all. I use a wireless cuff BP machine Qardio which tracks all the readings I make which help me guide the GP. It also tells me if I have an irregular heart beat. Good investment."

Shanila (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2018

"Many years on coversyl plus 4/1.25mg. BP unvariable at 118/86. However product changed to 5/1.25 mg started suffering from diarrhoea. Changed to ramipril 5mg, 4 months ago, mornings. Recent morning BP 135/105 lunch time 120/90. Evening 135/95. Diarrhoea disappeared with change of medication. Amlodipin 5mg added recently. 4th day lunchtime reading 115/75 but some side effects being felt. Earlier this morning, prior to ramipril, 120/90. Diastolic bp seems to be my problem. Anyone with some experience there how to manage it with less medication?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

"Ramipril increases my blood pressure. Like a fool, I persisted with this drug for four weeks (2.5mg a day). Initially it gave me terrible leg cramp, cramped my stomach muscles and made me incredibly tired. It also fogged my head making it difficult to think clearly and remember things. It made me short breathed and gave me jabbing pains in the lower abdomen. I monitor my blood pressure closely, my wife is a nurse and my daughter is a doctor so I am badly nagged! And there is no question about it, Ramipril INCREASES my blood pressure. So it's not for me. Still looking for a drug that works."

idigress (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

"I have been increased from 2.5mg to 5mg but because by blood pressure was 135/85 they were not happy with the bottom number 85 and because I am a type 2 diabetic they have now just double my dose to 10mg and for years stated I had white coat syndrome and would not medicate - surely this could have cause more damage. But so far so good I do suffer with night sweats and leg pains but don't know if this is linked."

Twinklestar73 November 23, 2017

"5 mg not effective. Using atenolol alongside 12.5 mg"

sarp (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2017

"started taking this medication less than a month ago. It has lowered my blood pressure, but have been feeling sick. Hurt all over, nervous, trouble sleeping. Been to the doctors so many times I cant count. Everything comes back great. I take several medications and am researching them, looks like this one might be the culprit. Going to stop and see what happens."

efla September 29, 2017

"I have taken myself off ramipril 10mg and now after 24 hours feeling great and blood pressure has gone down. Ramipril made me feel so ill with panic attacks, depressed, sick, wind and awful cough which would not stop. Also I couldn't think or remember, I know at my age of 71 sometimes it comes with the territory ! I am going to specialist tomorrow so not worried about suddenly stopping. This drug seem to have an adverse effect on me and even raised my blood pressure. I have AF which is under control now. I am never going on this drug again"

Nantmaur May 21, 2017

"Interestingly, my high blood pressure was discovered during my regular blood donations. The intake staff recommended that I consult my doctor. My doctor prescribed 2,5 mg ramiprilum (brand name: Tritace) once daily. I have been taking it religiously for 5 years now. Blood pressure is good. No side effects. The donation center now says that my blood can only be used for adults, not children."

100% Satisfied (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2017

"Just researching"

Jeremy417 May 13, 2017

"After being diagnosed with very high blood pressure I've been taking Ramipril for 2 months now. The side effects I am experiencing are 1/ I get very tired in the evening at about 8pm. 2/ I am beginning to get a bit forgetful and confused from time to time. 3/ Sometimes I get this tingling sensation in my hands and wrists (it feels like a mild electric shock). But apart from that the drug is manageable and doesn't really interfere with my day to day life."

Panic Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017

"I am so tired of being too tired and I think it may be the medication. I feel soooo much better, full of energy on the days that I forget to take ramipril."

Doryt May 1, 2017

Altace (ramipril): "Loved this drug at first, but about 3 months in the side effects became overwhelming. Lightheadedness without hypotension, feeling very tired through the day, nausea, severe abdominal and back pain and digestive-like pains. It reduced my blood pressure by 15 points systolic, but the severe side effects I experienced made me look for another option."

Kevin Williams May 1, 2017

"Have just started ramipri 2.5mg. It is the second day and felt extremely tired last night otherwise ok. My bp had been steadily climbing up to 155/99. I had been on amlodipine last year for about 6 weeks which lowered my bp to a normal 128/68ho wever my left leg started to break out in large itchy rash and only thing different was taking amlodipine - so stopped. Now I am on steroid cream for rash but still bits there after 6months. When reading side effects I see it is a rare side effect of the amlodipine. So will see how I cope with ramipri when I have been on it a while."

Sheeves April 28, 2017

"I haven't had any side efffects, I am think this is a great medication so far. My blood pressure is normal now it was at 150/90 now its normal and I feel great."

JeniB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

"38age. BMI of 23. High BP 153/90 average based on a day 24 hour reading. Started Ramitril 5mg. After 5 weeks no side effects. Will get tested if my kidneys take it well in a week via blood test, says my GP. Last reading says 103/77. but was higher average 120/80 (home measure sitting). I also take hibiscustea and arugola which are very helpful. I believe this helped as well to bring my BP down."

MiniMe123555 February 25, 2017

"Taking 2.5 mg ramipril daily, no hipertensive episodes. Just headache as side effect"

DzoNI (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2017

"I am 50 been an active person all my life spent 24 years in the Regular Army eat well don't smoke never have, drink only on a weekend.Went for a medical my BP was 163/108. Went on a ECG, had urine and blood test all normal. I had that 24 hour monitor various readings some OK but most too high. I hate taking tablets I don't even like taking paracetamol. My GP is a similar age to me and he is good to explain pro and con"s of medication. I reluctantly went on Ramiprill been on it a week now to be fair it"s ok. Bit of a funny head but nothing to worry about..I have been a member of my local Gym 23 years so the stereotype of being a smoker drinker or being overweight is NOT always the case.."

Graham 1981 January 13, 2017

"Been on R for a number of years, now at 10mg there is no discernable reduction in my blood pressure since I was prescribed it! I am now on amlodipine 5mg as well as R 10mg again with no discernable reduction in BP! is my body simply increasing my BP to compensate?"

NIMM (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2017

"Female, 48, healthy, runner, probably half a stone overweight, but not much. I had high blood pressure (148/98) for a couple of weeks, initial visit to doctor was for muscle aches, headaches - blood tests revealed very low Vitamin D, so was given Vitamin D 6 month program and Naproxin NSAIDs for pains, then 2 weeks later Ramipril 1.25, and told to stop the NSAIDs . My BP was down to 138/86 straight away - but I constantly feel like I am having a panic attack, my heart feels too heavy and feels fluttery? .... My muscular pains are all back, headaches, a small cough, dryness and feeling tonsils are feeling fat... Weird. Glad I found this site, I think the doctor was too quick to prescribe! Going for a second opinion."

AngieDogLady (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

"58 yr old male, good health other than BP...seems to run in one side of my family..tried everything from diet, exercise, alternative meds, supplements, meditation....All helped a little but not enough. 140/90 (morning) to 160/100 (evening) readings before 2.5mg Ramipril per day...within days readings dropped by about 15 points across the board. I was taking 5mg of lisinipril for a month but Doc changed med due to the many side effects and less effective to lower BP. I have very few side effects from Ramipril vs lisinipril... The cough, dry throat, chest phlegm thing is still present but more tolerable. An additional change has been the more diuretic effect of Ramipril on me which may be resulting in the lower readings overall.."

Skip Dideo October 23, 2016

Altace (ramipril): "The only side effect is the cough, other than that, I tolerate it perfectly with no other side effects."

DoloresB October 23, 2016

"been on ramipril for past 8 months and also taking felodipine. Before medication my blood average bp was 160/80 now it's 110/50. I'm not having any side effects either. Took about 1 week for it to become effective."

Luke2014 October 15, 2016

"6'1 220lb man. Took first dose of ramipril before bed last night, 2.5mg. Didn't sleep very well. Took blood pressure reading after coffee in the morning........124/76. WOW 1 dose. Normally 140/90. Will start taking first thing in morning because of sleep issues."

mmcubb (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

"I have had fibomyalgia for 20 years, I had become so ill l with it all, and with zero mobility, my weight had raised to 23 stone. A new doctor tried Ramipril on me and has been a miracle from above, have improved mobility and it made me loose my appetite and have lost two stones in 3 months."

PjC777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

"I took the tablets 10mg a day for six months. They didn't lower the bottom number on my BP reading, I also developed a cough."

Loo yolk June 1, 2016