User Reviews for Ramipril

Also known as: Altace

Learn more about Ramipril.

Ramipril Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 346 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Ramipril to treat High Blood Pressure

"I have taken myself off ramipril 10mg and now after 24 hours feeling great and blood pressure has gone down. Ramipril made me feel so ill with panic attacks, depressed, sick, wind and awful cough which would not stop. Also I couldn't think or remember, I know at my age of 71 sometimes it comes with the territory ! I am going to specialist tomorrow so not worried about suddenly stopping. This drug seem to have an adverse effect on me and even raised my blood pressure. I have AF which is under control now. I am never going on this drug again"

Nantmaur May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Interestingly, my high blood pressure was discovered during my regular blood donations. The intake staff recommended that I consult my doctor. My doctor prescribed 2,5 mg ramiprilum (brand name: Tritace) once daily. I have been taking it religiously for 5 years now. Blood pressure is good. No side effects. The donation center now says that my blood can only be used for adults, not children."

100% Satisfied (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2017

"Just researching"

Jeremy417 May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being diagnosed with very high blood pressure I've been taking Ramipril for 2 months now. The side effects I am experiencing are 1/ I get very tired in the evening at about 8pm. 2/ I am beginning to get a bit forgetful and confused from time to time. 3/ Sometimes I get this tingling sensation in my hands and wrists (it feels like a mild electric shock). But apart from that the drug is manageable and doesn't really interfere with my day to day life."

Panic Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am so tired of being too tired and I think it may be the medication. I feel soooo much better, full of energy on the days that I forget to take ramipril."

Doryt May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Altace (ramipril): "Loved this drug at first, but about 3 months in the side effects became overwhelming. Lightheadedness without hypotension, feeling very tired through the day, nausea, severe abdominal and back pain and digestive-like pains. It reduced my blood pressure by 15 points systolic, but the severe side effects I experienced made me look for another option."

Kevin Williams May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have just started ramipri 2.5mg. It is the second day and felt extremely tired last night otherwise ok. My bp had been steadily climbing up to 155/99. I had been on amlodipine last year for about 6 weeks which lowered my bp to a normal 128/68ho wever my left leg started to break out in large itchy rash and only thing different was taking amlodipine - so stopped. Now I am on steroid cream for rash but still bits there after 6months. When reading side effects I see it is a rare side effect of the amlodipine. So will see how I cope with ramipri when I have been on it a while."

Sheeves April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't had any side efffects, I am think this is a great medication so far. My blood pressure is normal now it was at 150/90 now its normal and I feel great."

JeniB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"38age. BMI of 23. High BP 153/90 average based on a day 24 hour reading. Started Ramitril 5mg. After 5 weeks no side effects. Will get tested if my kidneys take it well in a week via blood test, says my GP. Last reading says 103/77. but was higher average 120/80 (home measure sitting). I also take hibiscustea and arugola which are very helpful. I believe this helped as well to bring my BP down."

MiniMe123555 February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking 2.5 mg ramipril daily, no hipertensive episodes. Just headache as side effect"

DzoNI (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 50 been an active person all my life spent 24 years in the Regular Army eat well don't smoke never have, drink only on a weekend.Went for a medical my BP was 163/108. Went on a ECG, had urine and blood test all normal. I had that 24 hour monitor various readings some OK but most too high. I hate taking tablets I don't even like taking paracetamol. My GP is a similar age to me and he is good to explain pro and con"s of medication. I reluctantly went on Ramiprill been on it a week now to be fair it"s ok. Bit of a funny head but nothing to worry about..I have been a member of my local Gym 23 years so the stereotype of being a smoker drinker or being overweight is NOT always the case.."

Graham 1981 January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on R for a number of years, now at 10mg there is no discernable reduction in my blood pressure since I was prescribed it! I am now on amlodipine 5mg as well as R 10mg again with no discernable reduction in BP! is my body simply increasing my BP to compensate?"

NIMM (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Female, 48, healthy, runner, probably half a stone overweight, but not much. I had high blood pressure (148/98) for a couple of weeks, initial visit to doctor was for muscle aches, headaches - blood tests revealed very low Vitamin D, so was given Vitamin D 6 month program and Naproxin NSAIDs for pains, then 2 weeks later Ramipril 1.25, and told to stop the NSAIDs . My BP was down to 138/86 straight away - but I constantly feel like I am having a panic attack, my heart feels too heavy and feels fluttery? .... My muscular pains are all back, headaches, a small cough, dryness and feeling tonsils are feeling fat... Weird. Glad I found this site, I think the doctor was too quick to prescribe! Going for a second opinion."

AngieDogLady (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"58 yr old male, good health other than BP...seems to run in one side of my family..tried everything from diet, exercise, alternative meds, supplements, meditation....All helped a little but not enough. 140/90 (morning) to 160/100 (evening) readings before 2.5mg Ramipril per day...within days readings dropped by about 15 points across the board. I was taking 5mg of lisinipril for a month but Doc changed med due to the many side effects and less effective to lower BP. I have very few side effects from Ramipril vs lisinipril... The cough, dry throat, chest phlegm thing is still present but more tolerable. An additional change has been the more diuretic effect of Ramipril on me which may be resulting in the lower readings overall.."

Skip Dideo October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Altace (ramipril): "The only side effect is the cough, other than that, I tolerate it perfectly with no other side effects."

DoloresB October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"been on ramipril for past 8 months and also taking felodipine. Before medication my blood average bp was 160/80 now it's 110/50. I'm not having any side effects either. Took about 1 week for it to become effective."

Luke2014 October 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"6'1 220lb man. Took first dose of ramipril before bed last night, 2.5mg. Didn't sleep very well. Took blood pressure reading after coffee in the morning........124/76. WOW 1 dose. Normally 140/90. Will start taking first thing in morning because of sleep issues."

mmcubb (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had fibomyalgia for 20 years, I had become so ill l with it all, and with zero mobility, my weight had raised to 23 stone. A new doctor tried Ramipril on me and has been a miracle from above, have improved mobility and it made me loose my appetite and have lost two stones in 3 months."

PjC777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took the tablets 10mg a day for six months. They didn't lower the bottom number on my BP reading, I also developed a cough."

Loo yolk June 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for a very short time after a beta blocker slowed my heart too much. My throat almost immediately began to close up, but angioedema related to ACE Inhibitors is not treatable with antihistamines or cortisteroids. After benadryl and a cortisone shot didn't help, I finally started researching and realized it is a not so uncommon occurrence with ACE Inhibitors. Finally realized my throat and ear were closing up from this med. Also HORRIBLE gagging cough and bad burning in chest. Really bad drug. I'd like to see better warnings... Once I stopped taking it I got better almost immediately. Took a week for my throat swelling to go down completely. scary."

MoreBubbles (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was diagnosed 5 weeks ago when a general health check saw my b.p was 210/76. I was put on amlopidine 10mg for the first 2 weeks with little improvement and now I am also taking ramidil 2.5mg, been taking for 4 days and b.p has dropped to 153/70. side effects are a dull headache and feeling exhausted but have been assured this is only temporary"

DiddyDi April 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Like some other reviews of this product I took Ramipril and experienced the following side effects Mouth so dry that it was difficult to swallow Headache Stomach ache Strange looking eyes, just felt very odd Shaky Tingly tongue Short of breath Acidic Hot but clammy Fidgety, restless, couldn't sleep Could feel and hear when resting, my heart beating really fast Awful feeling, stopped taking and have now been given Amlodipine which I will take today for the first time"

SH197839 April 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 10mg ramipril and 4mg doxazosin for some 10 years, have periods of low BP which result in fainting, also severe ED problems and night sweats plus joint pain. Have now weaned off the meds completely by diet and excercise (lost 4 stone) and am maintaining good BP reading, the side effects have all gone and I feel 10 years younger. I know this is partly weight lose/better diet but also feel the meds where in fact slowly killing me."

essexone (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A 24 hour blood pressure monitored showed my average reading to be 158/95, during the course of the day my reading spiked over 200. Within three weeks of starting Ramipril (starting on 2.5 then raised to 5mg) my readings have been 140/84, 130/80 and 144/84. Ramipril seems to be working great, only negative is constant dull headache."

hate pills April 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taken for 2 months. Hate it. Side effects are awful :( HEADACHE, LOSS OF ENERGY, BONE/JOINT PAIN, RINGING IN EARS, NUMBNESS/TINGLING OF HANDS and TOES, LIGHT HEADED, CONFUSION, VISUAL ISSUES, SENSITIVITY TO LIGHT, COUGH, MUSCLE PAIN,STOMACH ACHE, TOO MUCH TO LIST. Does bring pressure down but may not last 24 hours. After 3 weeks my bp was finally lower than 140/90 in the mornings. Next appointment I'm off this drug. Can't take it :("

MsDebbie March 11, 2016