User Reviews for Ramipril

Also known as: Altace

Ramipril Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 337 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Ramipril to treat High Blood Pressure

"Hi folks. Just back from seeing the nurse at my doctors surgery. Been on Ramipril since before Christmas and nothing changed. Added in Amlodipine and again no change. I started looking at what tablets I'm already taking as I had really bad itching and a dry mouth all day. Amitriptyline stood out on the side effects but it also had as a side effect, high blood pressure. So after reading that last week I just stopped taking it and my blood pressure is now normal again. What really gets my back up about this is, (in my case anyway) the doctors didn't look to see what I was already taking for pain relief and see if that could be causing the high b/p , they just throw more tablets at you and hope it works instead of putting some thought into it. If anyone on here is taking Ramipril or whatever one and it isn't helping, I would suggest looking at what you are all ready on and see if that could be causing the high blood pressure. Take care folks."

Jonboy April 24, 2018

"Headaches seem to be ongoing I assume it’s ramipril, my dr suggested take 1/2 hydrocodone to take the same time, Always concerned about other drugs interacting. Stresses me more,"

Marhar (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2018

"I started on ramiprill for my high blood pressure (2.5mg) at beginning of Feb 2018 - 6 weeks in and I'm fine apart from a seriously irritating cough - that comes without warning even when you are sat quietly or engaged in conversation - it makes your eyes water - been back to the Dr today and he has given me 25mg of Losartan that is slightly higher in dose but apparently will ease this cough from ramipril- I'm a bit apprehensive to take it but can't carry on with the ramipril cough -(I stuck between rock and a hard place springs to mind) - going to take a few weeks to work but I will update with how things are going - I'm 43"

Em (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

"Was put on Ramipril 2.5mg by my GP in the UK as a tester after having consistently high BP (160/105 average) . I am a slim, fit non smoker and my BP is hereditary. For the first couple of days I felt a bit `giddy` and lightheaded at times but persevered with it. Took BP after 5 days and it was 126/80. It has been consistent since so I have to say that it works. Some of the people that write these reviews are hypochondriacs that spend their whole lives with exaggerated ailments and worries. I appreciate that not all drugs work for everyone but ramipril has some glowing PROFESSIONAL reviews and if all you need is your BP lowered then it's undeniably effective in practice."

bigJimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

"Hi been on 2.5 ramipril and 2.5 bisoprolol furmanate for hypertension but getting headaches and light buzzing in my hands and fingers and arms feeling tired. Does anyone else experienced these side affects"

Gerbo (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

"Started the drug a week ago due to high blood pressure 182/107. This wasn't taken at hospital when I was due an infusion for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Told I would not be given it and to see my GP, He took blood pressure That dropped by 30 points from previous day. Think white coat syndrome may be involved. Anyway, have now been taken off it after not even a week as suffering from nausea, light headedness, loss of appetite, extreme tiredness, heart fluttering. Seeing GP in a couple of weeks and will take it from there. Only thing I got told when I asked about side effects was that I might get a cough."

Ellie (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

"Poor lifestyle and extreme stress sent my BP soaring to 196/132. I was immediately prescribed Ramipril I took the medicine @ 4pm and by 10pm I took my BP reading it was 153/95. Still some work to do to bring it down but for day one not bad at all. I use a wireless cuff BP machine Qardio which tracks all the readings I make which help me guide the GP. It also tells me if I have an irregular heart beat. Good investment."

Shanila (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2018

"Many years on coversyl plus 4/1.25mg. BP unvariable at 118/86. However product changed to 5/1.25 mg started suffering from diarrhoea. Changed to ramipril 5mg, 4 months ago, mornings. Recent morning BP 135/105 lunch time 120/90. Evening 135/95. Diarrhoea disappeared with change of medication. Amlodipin 5mg added recently. 4th day lunchtime reading 115/75 but some side effects being felt. Earlier this morning, prior to ramipril, 120/90. Diastolic bp seems to be my problem. Anyone with some experience there how to manage it with less medication?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

"Ramipril increases my blood pressure. Like a fool, I persisted with this drug for four weeks (2.5mg a day). Initially it gave me terrible leg cramp, cramped my stomach muscles and made me incredibly tired. It also fogged my head making it difficult to think clearly and remember things. It made me short breathed and gave me jabbing pains in the lower abdomen. I monitor my blood pressure closely, my wife is a nurse and my daughter is a doctor so I am badly nagged! And there is no question about it, Ramipril INCREASES my blood pressure. So it's not for me. Still looking for a drug that works."

idigress (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

"I have been increased from 2.5mg to 5mg but because by blood pressure was 135/85 they were not happy with the bottom number 85 and because I am a type 2 diabetic they have now just double my dose to 10mg and for years stated I had white coat syndrome and would not medicate - surely this could have cause more damage. But so far so good I do suffer with night sweats and leg pains but don't know if this is linked."

Twinklestar73 November 23, 2017

"5 mg not effective. Using atenolol alongside 12.5 mg"

sarp (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2017

"started taking this medication less than a month ago. It has lowered my blood pressure, but have been feeling sick. Hurt all over, nervous, trouble sleeping. Been to the doctors so many times I cant count. Everything comes back great. I take several medications and am researching them, looks like this one might be the culprit. Going to stop and see what happens."

efla September 29, 2017

"I have taken myself off ramipril 10mg and now after 24 hours feeling great and blood pressure has gone down. Ramipril made me feel so ill with panic attacks, depressed, sick, wind and awful cough which would not stop. Also I couldn't think or remember, I know at my age of 71 sometimes it comes with the territory ! I am going to specialist tomorrow so not worried about suddenly stopping. This drug seem to have an adverse effect on me and even raised my blood pressure. I have AF which is under control now. I am never going on this drug again"

Nantmaur May 21, 2017

"Interestingly, my high blood pressure was discovered during my regular blood donations. The intake staff recommended that I consult my doctor. My doctor prescribed 2,5 mg ramiprilum (brand name: Tritace) once daily. I have been taking it religiously for 5 years now. Blood pressure is good. No side effects. The donation center now says that my blood can only be used for adults, not children."

100% Satisfied (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2017

"Just researching"

Jeremy417 May 13, 2017

"After being diagnosed with very high blood pressure I've been taking Ramipril for 2 months now. The side effects I am experiencing are 1/ I get very tired in the evening at about 8pm. 2/ I am beginning to get a bit forgetful and confused from time to time. 3/ Sometimes I get this tingling sensation in my hands and wrists (it feels like a mild electric shock). But apart from that the drug is manageable and doesn't really interfere with my day to day life."

Panic Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017

"I am so tired of being too tired and I think it may be the medication. I feel soooo much better, full of energy on the days that I forget to take ramipril."

Doryt May 1, 2017

Altace (ramipril): "Loved this drug at first, but about 3 months in the side effects became overwhelming. Lightheadedness without hypotension, feeling very tired through the day, nausea, severe abdominal and back pain and digestive-like pains. It reduced my blood pressure by 15 points systolic, but the severe side effects I experienced made me look for another option."

Kevin Williams May 1, 2017

"Have just started ramipri 2.5mg. It is the second day and felt extremely tired last night otherwise ok. My bp had been steadily climbing up to 155/99. I had been on amlodipine last year for about 6 weeks which lowered my bp to a normal 128/68ho wever my left leg started to break out in large itchy rash and only thing different was taking amlodipine - so stopped. Now I am on steroid cream for rash but still bits there after 6months. When reading side effects I see it is a rare side effect of the amlodipine. So will see how I cope with ramipri when I have been on it a while."

Sheeves April 28, 2017

"I haven't had any side efffects, I am think this is a great medication so far. My blood pressure is normal now it was at 150/90 now its normal and I feel great."

JeniB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

"38age. BMI of 23. High BP 153/90 average based on a day 24 hour reading. Started Ramitril 5mg. After 5 weeks no side effects. Will get tested if my kidneys take it well in a week via blood test, says my GP. Last reading says 103/77. but was higher average 120/80 (home measure sitting). I also take hibiscustea and arugola which are very helpful. I believe this helped as well to bring my BP down."

MiniMe123555 February 25, 2017

"Taking 2.5 mg ramipril daily, no hipertensive episodes. Just headache as side effect"

DzoNI (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2017

"I am 50 been an active person all my life spent 24 years in the Regular Army eat well don't smoke never have, drink only on a weekend.Went for a medical my BP was 163/108. Went on a ECG, had urine and blood test all normal. I had that 24 hour monitor various readings some OK but most too high. I hate taking tablets I don't even like taking paracetamol. My GP is a similar age to me and he is good to explain pro and con"s of medication. I reluctantly went on Ramiprill been on it a week now to be fair it"s ok. Bit of a funny head but nothing to worry about..I have been a member of my local Gym 23 years so the stereotype of being a smoker drinker or being overweight is NOT always the case.."

Graham 1981 January 13, 2017

"Been on R for a number of years, now at 10mg there is no discernable reduction in my blood pressure since I was prescribed it! I am now on amlodipine 5mg as well as R 10mg again with no discernable reduction in BP! is my body simply increasing my BP to compensate?"

NIMM (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2017

"Female, 48, healthy, runner, probably half a stone overweight, but not much. I had high blood pressure (148/98) for a couple of weeks, initial visit to doctor was for muscle aches, headaches - blood tests revealed very low Vitamin D, so was given Vitamin D 6 month program and Naproxin NSAIDs for pains, then 2 weeks later Ramipril 1.25, and told to stop the NSAIDs . My BP was down to 138/86 straight away - but I constantly feel like I am having a panic attack, my heart feels too heavy and feels fluttery? .... My muscular pains are all back, headaches, a small cough, dryness and feeling tonsils are feeling fat... Weird. Glad I found this site, I think the doctor was too quick to prescribe! Going for a second opinion."

AngieDogLady (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016