User Reviews for Ramipril

Heart Failure 4.5
Summary of Ramipril reviews 6.4 91 reviews

Reviews for Ramipril

CatAnn May 30, 2020

Altace (ramipril) for High Blood Pressure: “I was scared to take this medicine Altace I got up to a dose of 5mg at night and 2.5 mg during the day 12 hours apart. Seems to make me cough a bit and belch but I have GERD. In the beginning woke up with headache at the base of my neck but went away BP was 200/80, 190/80, 180/80 and you get it.. resting heart rate is 55/60. My blood pressure is down to the low 120s/80 or low 120s/70s Or 140s/80 I take 3 BP readings because the 1st is always about 10 pts higher, so average. I was surprised today that my average BP reading was in the high 150s/88 I don’t really want to take more medication. However I did feel a bit off for some time and now I know it was because I had high blood pressure. I also kept having a feeling that I was going to have a stroke and I didn’t know why because this was before I ever even took my blood pressure reading. Premonition I guess...? Speaking to the doctor in a month. Q: if you’re taking BP med can your BP even get high?”

Holy moly · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 15, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I'm taking ramipril for two years now. My blood pressure was 160/90 so I was put on 2.5 mg and then upped to 5mg. My blood pressure dropped to 120/80. and with some lifestyle changes I'm back to 2.5mg and looking to lower it to 1.25mg. I did feel the dizziness others felt so I take my tablets going to bed and all good now.. they worked well for me.”

Rafa · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Taken Ramipril since November 2019. First had prescribed 2.5mg on 145/98 BP. After month blood pressure dropped to 130/90. From December on 5mg and now have 125/80. I'm happy with result. First few weeks of taking it I was feeling dizzy, especially in the shops. Now is fine. Sometimes I have itchy throat at night time but last only few minutes. I'm using only powder from capsule because shell is build from many E ingridients. Just mixing powder with lemon juice and some water. Remember to do cardio exercises. It helps a lot if you feel dizzy from the tablets.”

Ian Jenkins · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “DO NOT USE. I was prescribed Ramipril for high blood pressure. I came out with small lumps first followed by extremely itchy areas covering most of my body. Lumps turn to blotches where your skin weeps then area turns tight as though you have bad sunburn. I have never suffered so much discomfort in my life. This medication should be barred.”

Phil · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “Been on Ramipril for two weeks for 140/87 BP and I could handle the light head and lethargy but what I cannot handle is the risk albeit small of lung cancer which some reports on the internet have shown. It is a very small risk but with cancer in my family I am terrified of any risk.”

Bill · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 1, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on this as blood pressure was spiking up at over 210. It has worked well with minor side effects. I am now on 10mg plus bisoporol, and around the 150 mark”

Bears February 16, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on ramipril for about 4 years now I have a cough for 4 months was on 5mg but today I have stopped taking them to see if the cough is from the tablets”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Only on 1.25mg ramipril and it hasn't affected my BP still 127/92 but the side affects are awful. My anxiety is worse. It's made me depressed. I've had an awful phlegm cough that makes me gag. And very dizzy. Will be asking to come off it.”

lady1981 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on this medication since 2011 and was fine until recently when I got a bad cough. Do I live with the cough or ask for another pill? Other than that I have taken this without any problems.”

Kochi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I used to take ramipril capsule made by bristol for 3 months, never had a broken capsule ,since the chemist changed my capsule to ramipril capsule made by Brown & Burk 3 months ago I had 3 broken capsules so far. This happen when I pop it out of the bubble and I end up with powder all over my hand.It happened with 2.5 mg and 5 mg as well.”

Broken · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 6, 2020

For Heart Failure: “Was taking ramipril in conjunction with Carvedilol for Congestive Heart Failure. It *does* lower blood pressure. For that, it works. But I was waking up several times a night with foamy phlegm. Worse, I had tonsil stones every single day (and previously had them only half a dozen times in 50 years). The most concerning, though, was that I wanted to ditch my husband and just disappear from everyone; thoughts that were completely foreign to me. Forgot my prescription med when I went on a week-long trip and guess what? The cough is near gone, I'm sleeping through the night, no more tonsil stones, and I love my family again. You have to choose what's worse. For me, my BP was only in the 130s/90s. The side effects aren't worth it. Cut out most salt instead and losing weight. If your BP is dangerously high, the Rx does lower it. The side effects are miserable, though.”

Hare Krishna November 24, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “On 19th November 2019: I was with doctor and nurse, both found my BP very high from 180/100 up to 200/110. I was prescribed it more than 1 year ago and now I was questioned by them why I was not talking it. As it was too high and I was at the risk of having stroke, I decided to take it. Right from the next day, my highest BP was 150/97. I normally get up early for prayer. This morning just after I got up, the BP reading was 112/77. To me it this is working at the cost of some less serious side effects such as occasional dry cough, feeling little bit of nausea, eyes boring ( it was worse when I slept 6 hours and it was not there when I slept for 7), feeling of as if I have a very low level of fever. I needed something to make the BP down and I glad this worked. Mind you I am taking 5 mg a day. I suppose, any dose lesser than that would have much lesser side effects on me. I am thinking to request the doctor for a lower dose.”

guy355 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 11, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed Ramipril 2.50mg to bring my BP down which was spiking between 145/90 to 155/85. I found the usual headaches, dizziness and tiredness during the first few weeks. Those symptoms never really went away. I think I just was able to manage them better as time went on. My BP did drop to around 120/80 though. But have recently found the dizziness started to affect me a bit more, especially walking in busy shops. I've gone to the GP to ask for a lower dosage of 1.25mg. I've only been on it for 3 days. My BP has gone up slightly around 125/80. But I shall monitor that over the next few weeks. I've also noticed the 1.25mg has given me a slightly more drier throat. Not sure if it is do with the coating of the capsule as the medicine should be the same as before. If BP goes up anymore and dizziness is the same I shall go back to the usual 2.50mg dosage, I will have just got to live with it.”

Little bear · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Took this med ramipril for several weeks for high BP, hoped cough would go away but the cough became disruptive and unbearable to the point of gagging, gasping for air and a feeling of being smothered. I slept with my clothes on, in case I had to call an ambulance because I could not breathe. I felt quite panicky, my ribs hurt from coughing and I developed aches and pains all over my body. Cough became very bronchial with wheezing, whistling noises and a croupy sound. My feet tingled and burned and I was dizzy and extremely exhausted.Scalp broke out in an itchy, scaly rash. I could barely function. Went off this medication a couple of months ago but the symptoms persisted. Today, October24/19, is the first day that the cough is less severe and I don't feel like I'm being smothered. The sores on my scalp are still there as well as the aches and pains. Hopefully they'll all disappear now.”

Gypsyrose · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been taking 2.5 mg of Ramipril for a month now, and although it has lowered my bp somewhat, I really don't like the side effects of this drug. I constantly feel dizzy, and the tiredness is overwhelming at times, so much so that I'm sleeping the whole day away on my days off work. Nausea is another problem, an increase in anxiety and shakiness. Not nice at all. I really want to come off this”

Nobody in particular August 23, 2019

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I am answering 'Anonymous' 31st Oct 2018. I had a heart attack two months ago. I didn't realise what it was. The next day I went to my doctor and ended up in hospital. My right main artery was almost blocked and two stents were fitted. My heart was (mercifully) undamaged and I am fine now, with no symptoms and I really wouldn't even know that anything had even happened to me. Re Ramipril, I am currently on 2.5 mg and my pharmacist (UK) wants to get me up to the max dose of 10mg as long as I can tolerate it, and it seems that I can since so far I have had no side affects whatsoever. However I am questioning the point of it in exactly the same way as you. I think the reason is that after a cardiovascular event, it is better for the heart to have an easier time and very low blood pressure helps with that. I am also on beta blockers (Bisaprol), aspirin and a big (80mg) statin. It heartens (pun intended!) me to hear that you obviously doing well after all these years :-)”

Honeybun August 11, 2019

For Heart Attack: “My husband is on ramipril due to a heart attack 5 years ago, which resulted in 3 stents been put in. My husband doesn't have high blood pressure but they insisted that he must take ramipril. Now he keeps passing out causing other issues such as splitting his head open knocking himself out he now suffers from postural hypertension, but still insist he has to take ramipril, there must be other medication he can take.”

gymouse59 · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was very wary of taking Ramipril even more so when I read the contents of the capsule that it is encased in, however my husband suggested emptying out the contents of the capsule in to a small glass of water, I googled it and it is fine to do this. The powder is pretty much tasteless. The casing of the brand of Ramipril which I am taking contains 5 E numbers, one of which is apparently banned by the EU and I didn't want those in my body, I've had a positive response with my blood pressure coming down and I haven't experienced any side effects !”

Cssn · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2019

Altace (ramipril) for Heart Failure: “I took this for over 20 yrs then all of a sudden it became toxic to me. It almost killed me. Fell over one day, was air lifted to a major hospital, and was on life support for 4 days.”

Gamer · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “This medication to start with did not appear to have any side effects. Being diagnosed with hypertension after fainting at work I obviously needed to be on something. Being on anti depressants as well I went on a very low dose (the anti depressants I've been on for years, they've always helped) However it started to cause me to have serious panic attacks dizziness and terrible anxiety at numerous times of the day which would be so overpowering and generally so down that getting through a day was so hard. The intrusive thoughts were worse which were as bad as dark thoughts and fear of being out in public, so scary. I'm now on a blood pressure tablets which seems to be working so fingers crossed I'll be alright. I do urge for anyone that gets these side effects to go straight to your GP.”

mami · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 8, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Been taking ramipril for the last 5 years declined my GFR (glomerular filtration rate - test to see kidney function) from 90 to 60. As well, feel pain on my right kidney. Do not recommend it and advise to have your kidneys checked ASAP.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more October 31, 2018

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I had a mild heart attack in 2001 at the age of 62, and was put on bisoprolol aspirin and ramipril. I then had another 3 or 4 attacks in 2005 and had one stent fitted. Since then I have had no further trouble but I remained on the medication. I have asked several times why I am on Ramipril as I have never suffered from high blood pressure. The answer I got was that it was "good for the heart" somewhat vague advice. Can anyone suggest why patients who do not suffer from high blood pressure are on it?”

Jacko · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Took 2.5 Ramipril for high blood pressure. My side effects, itching. Looked up ingredients saw there was yellow ochre in them, changed to 5 mg. Which has red ochre in them, no problem . As I am allergic to spring flowering bulbs I’m thinking the yellow ochre has something to do with this making me itch. Could be wrong but not itching with the 5 mg”

Badhon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 19, 2018

For Diabetic Kidney Disease: “good medication”

Jonboy April 24, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Hi folks. Just back from seeing the nurse at my doctors surgery. Been on Ramipril since before Christmas and nothing changed. Added in Amlodipine and again no change. I started looking at what tablets I'm already taking as I had really bad itching and a dry mouth all day. Amitriptyline stood out on the side effects but it also had as a side effect, high blood pressure. So after reading that last week I just stopped taking it and my blood pressure is now normal again. What really gets my back up about this is, (in my case anyway) the doctors didn't look to see what I was already taking for pain relief and see if that could be causing the high b/p , they just throw more tablets at you and hope it works instead of putting some thought into it. If anyone on here is taking Ramipril or whatever one and it isn't helping, I would suggest looking at what you are all ready on and see if that could be causing the high blood pressure. Take care folks.”