User Reviews for Ramipril

Also known as: Altace

Learn more about Ramipril.

Cardiovascular Risk Reduction 1 reviews 5 medications

High Blood Pressure 29 reviews 264 medications

6.9
Summary of Ramipril reviews 35 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Ramipril

For High Blood Pressure: "6'1 220lb man. Took first dose of ramipril before bed last night, 2.5mg. Didn't sleep very well. Took blood pressure reading after coffee in the morning........124/76. WOW 1 dose. Normally 140/90. Will start taking first thing in morning because of sleep issues."

mmcubb (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have had fibomyalgia for 20 years, I had become so ill l with it all, and with zero mobility, my weight had raised to 23 stone. A new doctor tried Ramipril on me and has been a miracle from above, have improved mobility and it made me loose my appetite and have lost two stones in 3 months."

PjC777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "I have had two heart attacks (one never knew I'd had). The second one did know about it and taking 10mg Ramipril as well as other drugs as preventative measure to further cardiac events. I never had high BP, but now it's too low according to some professionals, and normal to others 110/60. Downside: I have to be careful when standing too quickly, if I look up I can lose my balance, I sweat more, I have constant dry mouth, and need to hydrate more. I can't seem to get a good night's sleep am constantly waking and fidgeting, I have developed tinnitus, biggest down side through lack of sleep I can't wake up and feel drugged when I do. Upside: Most of these side effects are documented so I put up with them as the opposite is unthinkable."

LittleM June 12, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I took the tablets 10mg a day for six months. They didn't lower the bottom number on my BP reading, I also developed a cough."

Loo yolk June 1, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I took this for a very short time after a beta blocker slowed my heart too much. My throat almost immediately began to close up, but angioedema related to ACE Inhibitors is not treatable with antihistamines or cortisteroids. After benadryl and a cortisone shot didn't help, I finally started researching and realized it is a not so uncommon occurrence with ACE Inhibitors. Finally realized my throat and ear were closing up from this med. Also HORRIBLE gagging cough and bad burning in chest. Really bad drug. I'd like to see better warnings... Once I stopped taking it I got better almost immediately. Took a week for my throat swelling to go down completely. scary."

MoreBubbles (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Was diagnosed 5 weeks ago when a general health check saw my b.p was 210/76. I was put on amlopidine 10mg for the first 2 weeks with little improvement and now I am also taking ramidil 2.5mg, been taking for 4 days and b.p has dropped to 153/70. side effects are a dull headache and feeling exhausted but have been assured this is only temporary"

DiddyDi April 27, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Like some other reviews of this product I took Ramipril and experienced the following side effects Mouth so dry that it was difficult to swallow Headache Stomach ache Strange looking eyes, just felt very odd Shaky Tingly tongue Short of breath Acidic Hot but clammy Fidgety, restless, couldn't sleep Could feel and hear when resting, my heart beating really fast Awful feeling, stopped taking and have now been given Amlodipine which I will take today for the first time"

SH197839 April 12, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on 10mg ramipril and 4mg doxazosin for some 10 years, have periods of low BP which result in fainting, also severe ED problems and night sweats plus joint pain. Have now weaned off the meds completely by diet and excercise (lost 4 stone) and am maintaining good BP reading, the side effects have all gone and I feel 10 years younger. I know this is partly weight lose/better diet but also feel the meds where in fact slowly killing me."

essexone (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "A 24 hour blood pressure monitored showed my average reading to be 158/95, during the course of the day my reading spiked over 200. Within three weeks of starting Ramipril (starting on 2.5 then raised to 5mg) my readings have been 140/84, 130/80 and 144/84. Ramipril seems to be working great, only negative is constant dull headache."

hate pills April 8, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Taken for 2 months. Hate it. Side effects are awful :( HEADACHE, LOSS OF ENERGY, BONE/JOINT PAIN, RINGING IN EARS, NUMBNESS/TINGLING OF HANDS and TOES, LIGHT HEADED, CONFUSION, VISUAL ISSUES, SENSITIVITY TO LIGHT, COUGH, MUSCLE PAIN,STOMACH ACHE, TOO MUCH TO LIST. Does bring pressure down but may not last 24 hours. After 3 weeks my bp was finally lower than 140/90 in the mornings. Next appointment I'm off this drug. Can't take it :("

MsDebbie March 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on this drug for 6 months, prior to this I took AMLODIPINE for 7 months. Although my blood pressure was reduced to normal, my experiences are as follows: postural hypotension - felt terrible; the full works. diarrhoea, gastrointestinal inflammation, digestive disturbances, abdominal discomfort, constipation Nausea Glossitis Fatigue, tinnitus Cough, nonproductive tickling cough, cough increased, plus mucus cough dyspnea Confusional state disturbance in attention Maculopapular rash decreased appetite Muscle spasm - shakes Pharangitis earache bleeding gums on cleaning thickened mucous dry nose scabby and bleeding reduced urination increase in heartburn lump in throat sleeping for 25 hours at at time. Breathing is so bad now have COPD"

Gillyannie March 7, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Helped bring down high blood pressure in a short time on maintenance dose of 1.25mg but caused unbelievable itch"

Mysterylass (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Hi I've been on ramapril for a year now had a headache for 2 weeks went to see nurse said I had high bp was put on 2.5mg all was good for 3 months when dreaded headache returned for 2 weeks was put up to 5mg and just before Xmas again headaches returned I'm now on 10mg and my bp the other day was still 167/102 which for 30 years old is high I'm being monitored but I am on a course of steroids for eczama so could be that why hasn't lowered but the ramapril is great had no side effects at all"

Mummyof4 January 13, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "After started taking medication I have dry cough, chast heaviness and ED. Even when my primary doctor said it has no side effects"

Vbtea (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "BP was 170/100... after just a couple days it was 130/80... no side effects.... real life saver"

craig74! November 18, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am diabetic following pancreatitis. Ramipril has lowered my blood pressure from around 145/90 to around 135/85 in just a weeks or so, but as soon as I started taking it I started having a lot of hypos. I have had to reduce my doses of Levemir from 18 units twice a day to 12 units twice a day. No other side effects."

The Scribbler October 10, 2015

For Heart Failure: "I found this medicine remapril caused me excessive itching so much that I ended up with sores on my backside. I also found I was unable to leave my home because of the frequent accidents I was having. Diahorria. I stopped taking the tablet and all is well again. I was surprised by my Doctors reaction when I asked for an alternative tablet. He told me it was alright to stop and didn't offer any alternative. This is puzzling after having read why the tablet was prescribed in the first place"

tirade03 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "So far after a couple of weeks it seems to be working fine for me."

JLM316 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "prescribed to wife - a kidney dialysis patient in her 14th year of treatment --(haemodialysis) to control bp - died within 2 months of being prescribed. BP escalated to an alarming rate - seven hour nosebleed - if this is not an isolated instance of such a severe reaction - strongly suggest it NEVER be prescribed to patients known to have severe kidney impairment. Would be interesting to know if any mortality studies have been done regarding the use of this drug on kidney dialysis patients. Noted that it raises the level of potassium in the blood which I suggest of itself is an indication that its use in such patients is perhaps contraindicated."

hound August 10, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Worried about the side effects of taking ramipril decided to split first dose to ease the effects.....2 months and all going well, maybe slightly more tired than i was before but can live with that Before BP was around the 150/95 now 120-130/80"

Pugs.. July 20, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "It did reduce my blood pressure but it made me itch"

divingbelle (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Am taking daily 2.5mg Ramipril capsules, Warfarin (5.5 mg) and Simvastatin (10mg). During this period of about 1 year, I have suffered increasingly from gastric pains located at the base of the sternum. The pain comes on at between 3 and 4 am, despite taking Lansoprazole which confers protection for only about 3 hrs. I suspected the Ramipril as the cause of the acid flush in the early hrs. Have tried stopping the Ramipril. Result: gastric pains gone but blood pressure uncomfortably high! Not even taking Lansoprazole."

Maxadolf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2015

Altace (ramipril) for Heart Attack: "9th anniversary of 5x bypass. Blood pressure was never high. Altace, began with 5mg in the morning, was feeling faint every time I stood up all day. Changed to 5mg before bed, faint if I got up to pee. Changed to 2.5 mg in the evening, OK till last night (9 years) difference was had the flu or something similar, had a high fever, night sweats, diarrhea, got up to go to the bathroom and found myself on the bedroom floor, no damage, fell into the dirty clothes basket, so the warning about excessive sweat or any loss of fluids, is a good one."

Sam of Newburyport February 1, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "Diagnosed with borderline hypertension - doctor asked what I wanted to do about it, treat or monitor? I said treat and doc prescribed 1.25 Ramipril and I feel much healthier since started treatment. Fewer headaches, decreased stomach acid and improved erections. Unbelievable yes, but a real bonus - has anyone seen similar benefits?"

wolfson July 6, 2011

Altace (ramipril) for Heart Failure: "I am 56 yrs old. Suffer from left ventricular dysfunction. I used Altace nearly 2 years. It makes me more relaxed and the heart calm."

amjad kareem May 8, 2011