User Reviews for Phenazopyridine

Also known as: Pyridium, Azo Urinary Pain Relief, Azo-Standard, Urinary Analgesic, Uristat, Urogesic, Prodium, Uricalm, Azo-Septic, Eridium, Urodol, Baridium, Re-Azo, Azo-Gesic, Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief, Preferred Urinary Pain Relief …show all brand names

Interstitial Cystitis
7.6

Dysuria
6.9

Summary of Phenazopyridine reviews 7.3 116 reviews

Reviews for Phenazopyridine

Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I have been taking the maximum strength 2-3 times a day for approximately 6 months now and have never had any side effects. It has been so wonderful not feeling the pain in my bladder from the tube that sits in there. (I have a Permanent Suprapubic Catheter )"

Spunducky (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I went to the store as soon as I had discomfort and saw that these were a higher dosage so I bought them. The first time it helped a little. I've been taking them 3 times a day for a couple of days and all they've done is change the color of my pee and possibly caused excruciating lower back pain as well as abdominal pain."

Nothappening01 May 30, 2019

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "LOVE Pyridium! Nothing else works as well. It is a miracle drug. My kidney was in spasms intense pain from the stones and infection. This product worked like a wonder drug on the pain while the antibiotic did its work."

BJ May 12, 2019

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Gave me terrible lower back pain, headaches, & only provided some relief with pain while urinating but no relief for having to pee constantly. Would not recommend."

blossom (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This message is VERY IMPORTANT: As soon as you feel even the slightest bit discomfort you must take these pills because they take even up to 45 minutes to really kick in. You MUST take them with food, and I mean like as much as a meal or similar or you WILL get very sick. BUT this is the best pain relief I have ever felt. Once you take them they last all day and eliminate any pain including while you’re peeing. Yes they do make you lower back a little sensitive but it’s worth the relief this medicine brings. I like to eat breakfast, pop two in my mouth and sit in a hot relaxing bath til they kick in and it works wonders, really great! I highly recommend using this medicine!"

xlk February 18, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I tried Uricalm for the first time today because I was experiencing major pain and a great sense or urgency to urinate and I kid you not, this stuff works. I am not getting paid to share my opinion but it worked so well I felt I had to inform you all. I wished I had know about this before now. I am extremely pleased. I was in so much discomfort that I couldn't sit or stand without feeling the urgency to urinate. Now I am 90% better. "

Shay (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2019

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "Almost died. My oxygen levels got so low I was blue. I lost days literally....I was so incoherent and blue weak."

Sunshine January 12, 2019

For Dysuria: "I loooooove thiiiis!!! It makes my bladder feel completely numb !!! I was in sooo much pain I felt like I needed to pee every second. I had a UTI from using a feminine wash... which is sooo bad!!! My bladder hurts when I stand, lay, sit, or move around. I felt like I was DYING! Until I took the pill from over the counter which costed me $7 and some cents!! Pretty cheap you get 12 pills and you take 2-3 a day. It turned my pee neon orange and it smelt bad.. yuck! Overall it works super good 100% pain reliever !!! But the only cons is that it makes my inner vagina where the discharge is located super itchy... I recommend washing your vaginal area and the inside every 3-4 hours with just water!"

Mehmeh December 19, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "This drug was painful for me, it gave me awful lower abdominal pain within the few hours after taking it, even with a small snack. I will never take this again, not worth the pain."

Jennifer0121 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

For Dysuria: "I also started getting bad muscle spasms about the third week."

Deb (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2018

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "I have suffered with IC for over 11 years. This over the counter medicine has given me temporary relief like no other. Easy to find, reasonably priced. When the urgent care clinics and the emergency rooms can only treat the pain temporarily with major side effects. Azo does much better with no wait, major adverse effects, and turmoil. It is definitely a Godsend! It won't cure, but while you are waiting for treatment, it definitely provides calming results that are so welcomed. Wonderful product!"

BJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

For Dysuria: "I took this med for about 3 weeks 2-3 times a day. It helped a lot with the urinating burning pain after having the mid urethral sling surgery and after having a catheter in place for a week. I noticed leg cramps started towards the third week and have continued very bad every night ever since even after stopping the medicine. The cramps and spasms are so painful and I had to get up and walk around to stretch out the muscles to relieve. My doctor said to try drinking Tonic water with Quinine which I have been every day now and it has helped a lot! You can also try Hylands natural pills for leg cramps. These did not seem to do the trick without the Tonic water. I think it has to do with dehydration because I also felt very thirsty."

1234 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "I have used this medicine for flare ups, it helps a lot for the symptoms of ic. I was wondering if anyone else gets a very dry mouth and extremely bad muscle spasms in your feet and legs. The spasms pretty bad at night and I only get them when I take this medicine."

Cathy October 3, 2018

For Dysuria: "I took one pill and felt as if I was burning more than before. Idk if taking this medicine will help. Refuse to take another dose."

Eeky (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "So far I took this medication about 2 times back in June and recently in the past week. My First dose was fine and helped me out . But my second dose was bad flu like symptoms anxiety, not feeling myself, but it did help with urine hesitancy. In October I am seeing a urologist will be asking for other options."

detour12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "Being susceptible to UTI’s this medication definitely helps when I’m not able to get to my doctors. I’m currently on vacation and was up every hour last night. I ran to CVS and was feeling better in no time."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "Prescribed by surgeon who implanted polypropelene mesh sling in my abdomen. This device is killing me. I took Pyridium for three years prescribed by the Doctor. I am taking it again now OTC under name AZO. Blessings, Bejah"

Bejah no (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 22, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I've had urinary tract infections (UTI's) since my late teens. Then it was Pyridium. It always helped until Bactrim kicked in. In 2004 I got a UTI and pain never went away. Saw a urologist who specialzed in interstitial cystitis (IC) and was diagnosed with IC. Since then I've had many infections. Azo without cranberry helps with certain bacteria but not others. I'm in my 60's and this is now a killer on my stomach. But if I'm in a lot of pain I'll take just one with food. I noticed when cultured it aggravates sometimes and works for others. AZO is acidic and so are some strains of bacteria. So for me it's a mixed bag."

Pessimist (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2018

For Dysuria: "My gosh this drug is a life saver. On the 1-10 scale of pain, my UTI was a 9. With this drug I feel well enough to go to work finally and can move around."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "This drug brings on the worst back pain for me. After three weeks no more!"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I recently took pyridium for the first time and for me it’s a miracle drug! I recently suffered my first full blown UTI and it was extremely painful and uncomfortable. After one dose of pyridium, my symptoms have completely disappeared and I feel back to normal. I am also on an antibiotic to clear up the infection. It took about 3 hours to really start working but 14 hours later the relief is still there. And it’s cheap at the pharmacy. I would recommend anyone give it a try! My pain and urgency are gone and I’m so happy!"

kendall (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "I have dealing with IC for 7 years. My urologist said to take AZO. Problem, I have discovered that when I take AZO, it makes my pain and frequency twice to 3 times worse. On a scale on 1 to 10, I rate this product a 1."

Ar Be (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 6, 2018

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "Many years ago I was prescribed Pyridium for UTI. I took one tablet. What I experienced was not a allergic reaction. I am a nurse and honestly the only way I can describe what happened is ‘every cell in my entire body wanted Pyridium OUT!’ Like Kryptonite to Superman, I honestly believe if I ever took it again I would die. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced. Even handling Pyridium makes me nervous. It has been over 25 years ago."

Me23255 February 3, 2018

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I took the drug and followed Dr.'s instructions. First day I began to have uneasy stomach, and the following day, I vomited food and pill. After four days stopping taking the pill, I'm still having an uneasy stomach. I have had also leg cramps at night. This medicine in not for me."

Marisina (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I was feeling an urge to pee constantly and burning feeling in my bladder. I had went to the doctor and was told I had a UTI and was given medication. I asked my doctor about AZO pills and was informed that it would help. So I stopped by the local store and bought some with a bottled water. It helped me in less than 30 minutes. I was so relieved. It helped with the pain and constant urge to pee."

Amber13%10 (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017