User Reviews for Phenazopyridine

Also known as: Azo Urinary Pain Relief, Azo-Gesic, Azo-Septic, Azo-Standard, Baridium, Eridium, Phenazo, Prodium, Pyridiate, Pyridium, Re-Azo, Uricalm, Urinary Analgesic, Uristat, Urodol, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Phenazopyridine.

Interstitial Cystitis 27 reviews 28 medications

8.2
Dysuria 48 reviews 28 medications

7.8
Summary of Phenazopyridine reviews 75 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Phenazopyridine

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This was recommended by my doctor to help with abdominal pain I was having because of a UTI. Every time I take this it increases the pain substantially for 30 minutes or more. After that the pain subsides though it's certainly not gone. Time to try some other pain killer."

Llaw September 25, 2016

For Dysuria: "Took the medicine last night for the first time. Didn't notice any changes, except that it made me sleepy. This morning I awoke to find that I had a major headache, terrible stomach cramps, all-over body ache and confusion. I would not recommend this product, as it also gave me really weird dreams."

Anonymous182759 September 24, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This medicine is my go to every time! It takes away every bit of pain and discomfort that comes along with a UTI, would recommend to anyone!"

angkahl August 30, 2016

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I'm a man with UTI which is much less common than in women. My Dr. tells me that my case is fairly bad and seems surprised that I didn't complain more about the considerable pain while urinating. He prescribed antibiotics to heal the infection and this drug to help with pain and urgent feeling of needing to go. I experienced gut wrenching nearly vomit inducing pain while urinating on this medicine while prior to dosage I was experiencing discomfort to start urine flow but manageable pain that subsided when ending urination. The primary difference with this medication seemed to be more severe pain and less ability to stop it than before I was using the drug. I'll NEVER take another dosage again. Really, really rough for me."

JimCMaleUTI August 18, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I had to come home early from work, thought I needed the ER. Called my sis and she said to try Uricalm first. SOOOO glad I took her advice. I went from fetal position with nausea and pain to almost complete relief in less than an hour. LESS THAN AN HOUR! I've never written a review for anything in my life, but this was beyond amazing that I couldn't help but pass this along to fellow hurting mamas. I'm still cranberrying and antibiotic-ing it up but my symptoms have totally subsided. From tears to cheers!! I'm in total disbelief! (Hahaha I sound like an infomercial, but I promise I'm real!! ;) good luck!!"

Uri-pain gone! (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

For : "I thought I had a UTI. I felt the urgency to urinate. I remember having one tablet of Phenazopyridine Hcl 100 mg Tab Ecip left , so I took it. In about 1/2 hour I felt my stomach swell bad and then got this horrendous back pain in my lower left back side. I took these before and didn't remember this reaction. I thought I might ride it out until I could get to the Urgent Clinic the next day. The pain became so intense, that I couldn't lay, sit or stand. I realized something was wrong with me and I needed help. I phoned the local police department. While I had the dispatcher on the phone, I began to vomit profusely. Turned out I had a kidney stone. Did this medicine cause these reactions, or was this a coincidence. I wouldn't take again."

PegM (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

For Dysuria: "This drug was very helpful and relieved the pain less than 4 hours after taking it. I highly recommend this drug for easing pain when you urinate."

Moont July 28, 2016

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "When my IC flares up (like it did last night when I drank a huge glass of orange juice--big mistake) and I can't sleep because of that horrible ache, one dose of this stuff works for me. I get the maximum strength OTC generic from CVS (Walgreen's has one, too) but even if you have to pay full price for the brand name, it is worth it. I'm so glad I found this drug. I do have a box of thin maxi-pads left over from when I had periods, and since I'm at that age where I leak a bit, I wear these to keep my underwear and bed sheets from turning psychedelic orange."

bertagale (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "Did absolutely nothing to help with the burning or pain. Just made me queasy and turned my pee highlighter orange. Total waste of $5."

Unhappy newlywed June 15, 2016

For Dysuria: "I took it for the first few days(for pain) along with an antibiotic for a uti, and this med worked ok, I guess, but it made me ... So... Nauseous! Eating before did not prevent it. I had to deep breath through pursed lips for an hour or two after taking a pill "

anjimaldo April 11, 2016

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I have ureter stents due to malignant pelvic tumors. I had burning pain at the end of my stream but after a few days on Cipro with no relief, a UTI was ruled out. My urologist put me on Pyridium and I felt better within hours. No side effects except that orange urine!"

Jeaniebaby (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I was experiencing early symptoms of a UTI. I felt like I had to go to the bathroom even after I had just been and it was very uncomfortable feeling, I wouldn't say it burned like UTI's usually do, it just felt like I had to go really bad. I got an at home UTI test strip and sure enough I had it. I got the URICALM at my local CVS store in hopes it would give me some kind of relief. I drank a 12oz of cranberry juice and three water bottles with 2 tablets (in 12 hours) and that night I felt 100% better! I was worried I would have to go to the doctor and get on antibiotics but with URICALM that wasn't the case! Very affordable. It comes in a 60 pack and it only took 2 to help me! I would recommend this especially if you are catching it early!"

456789LEAP_ April 3, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I got a UTI on the last day of my vacation, with 12 hours of plane rides to get through. On my way to the airport, I stopped at the drugstore for some recommended Azo. I saw Uricalm Max and decided to give it a try since it was on sale. Best. Decision. Ever. I went from nearly crying, sitting with nothing coming out yet feeling like I was going to pee myself whenever I stood up.. to feeling 100% completely normal. When I got home, I went home and saw a doctor. I was prescribed the usual antibiotics and urinary analgesic. Uricalm Max works much better, and for longer than the medication from the pharmacy.. same price AND I can get uricalm over the counter to help until I can see a doctor for antibiotics."

Smariew (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "As everyone knows kidney stones are very painful and very uncomfortable. My doctor prescribed me this medication to help to ease the pain. And it seriously works. I do not like taking pain medication, so I was pleased when I took this and it actually worked."

alex12574477 February 9, 2016

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I am a 57 yr old female, suffer from interstitial cystitis for the past 5 years. First and foremost DIET is key, no orange juice, grapefruit, spices, cranberries and cranberry juice is the worst for I.C sufferers. Cranberry is great for urinary tract infections but NOT for I.C, also Azo is NOT for I.C, it has cranberry in it. Only Uristat works for I.C, unless of course you are allergic to it or have stomach upset. Take 4 saltine crackers before taking, I have a very sensitive stomach and this works for me"

Lee10 January 8, 2016

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I have frequent upsodes of dysuria, either due to bacterial UTI or of unknown origin. Phenazopyridine (Azo) gives me rapid relief."

Nanny Goat December 26, 2015

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "Settles the bladder down nicely."

Newfounland Flossy December 5, 2015

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "This did nothing for the cramping and pain. In fact, I had horrible GI gas and stomach issues while taking it. I thought I had a stomach virus but when I stopped the Pyridium, the stomach distress went away."

Detroiter767 November 29, 2015

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "Thankful this is OTC, works better than Azo, faster as well"

Aries07 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Dysuria: "I've been in pain for three days, and cannot get an appt. till next week so I went all out and bought cranberry juice, tablets, and this medicine. I felt no differently after taking it. And not even three hours later. I still had the pain and urgency. I woke up this morning, hoping it would have worked by now, to find my lower parts completely covered in a rash and it itched HORRIBLY. Apparently I'm allergic to the dyes or something. How could I have known? Be very careful before taking this product and make sure you are absolutely not allergic to anything on the list, it didn't work for me and it broke me out so badly that I can't even put underwear on. The rash wasn't the product's fault, but I am giving it a 1 for not helping the pain."

abarnesmc117 November 5, 2015

For Dysuria: "If you're experiencing pain during urination caused by a UTI, I recommend Uricalm Max! Works almost instantly. Just make sure to wear panty liners while using this medication. It will turn your urine bright orange and will stain anything it comes into contact with."

gingergirl315 November 2, 2015

Uristat (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "Doctor told me to take this uristat . super drug, I feel normal again. I can sleep longer, no real pain and the only side effect is urine is yellowish orange. But who cares about that if your rid of pain and spasms. Thank you doctor!"

feeling better at 59 October 16, 2015

For Dysuria: "Bought azo and it didn't work for me AT ALL. If anything it made it worse! It still burns when I pee and it's really painful and uncomfortable. The only difference this med made was changing the color of my urine to a dark orange looking color."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2015

For Dysuria: "Was feeling awful during class, ran pharmacy on my free hour and bought some Azo the Urinary pain relief. Took it in the parking lot and drank some water. Right away it started working and my discomfort was gone. Only side effect was that my pee was a much darker color than normal but once the medicine was out of my body it went back to normal. I strongly recommend this to anyone who has frequent UTIs or to even have at home for an emergency"

College girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2015

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "IT works like a charm. I took two pills last night and I was able to sleep without discomfort. I really recommend. I bought the Uricalm MAX ."

No Longer Aggravated! (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2015