User Reviews for Phenazopyridine

Also known as: Azo Urinary Pain Relief, Azo-Gesic, Azo-Septic, Azo-Standard, Baridium, Eridium, Phenazo, Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief, Preferred Urinary Pain Relief, Prodium, Pyridiate, Pyridium, Re-Azo, Uricalm, Urinary Analgesic, ...show all 19 brand names

Learn more about Phenazopyridine.

Interstitial Cystitis 31 reviews 30 medications

8.2
Dysuria 59 reviews 30 medications

Summary of Phenazopyridine reviews 90 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Phenazopyridine

For Dysuria: "Do not take this medicine. Doctors and pharmacists do not tell you the extent of side effects. A small warning suggests that it may turn your urine orange. It does not say the color of your urine will look like you are bleeding out. Nor does it say it will stain and ruin the porcelain in your toilet. Outrageous that this medicine is even on the market."

Momo15431 September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dysuria: "I took one of the 200mg pills as prescribed to me for UTI symptoms. I took it with a meal and a glass of water as suggested. It did work relatively quickly to get rid of the urgency, burning, and pain. Unfortunately it caused me to vomit up everything I ate and drank within 5 hours of taking it. Severe dizziness, nausea, and uncontrollable vomiting are not worth the benefits of the medication."

Desertrain September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have no clue what is wrong with me. After three months I am still suffering from constant urge to pee / frequency. I had the sensitive urine cultures and oddly enough bacteria was found. Funny how you can't find any bacteria with a regular test. I don't have pain yet just frequency and no leaks! So I'm going for another opinion because all bacteria is gone. Doc says just residual inflammation. Come on now! I doubt it. So I take pyridium whenever I flare bad. It helps cut the frequency to 1 time every 1.5-2 hours or even longer. It's amazing. Yes I pee less and love it! Without it, I go 5 times in one hour. Makes me so sad"

NoUTI (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I took it while at work. It never calmed my pain. I plan on going to get some AZO."

CoDehdvdihsvydubsvsgdhbsvdyd August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This is the perfect medicine to help get over UTI symptoms. Now remember, this medication is only a pain reliever. If you have any of the symptoms that Uricalm relieves, go see a doctor!! If you have an infection you MUST to take antibiotics or it will only get worse and enter your kidneys...(which can be way way way more painful than a bladder infection) Uricalm does not treat underlying problems. But, is a life saver in the healing process!!!! I immediately lost the urgency of having to urinate, I was able to urinate and feel like I had emptied my bladder completely, and the burning sensation was gone. I Highly recommend it if your struggling with harsh symptoms."

Hall881 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I've suffered from Interstitial Cystitis since I was about 13 (now 29) I wasn't diagnosed until about 3 years ago up till then doctors always tried saying it was UTIs but every urine‚Äč test always came back negative. Since I was 13 I've always had azo pills on me. They are my savior .. they taste horrible but work with in 10 to 15 minutes after taking. Only thing is now I'm worrying about taking them so much due to just recently after taking them I had blood in my urine and severe nausea and chills"

Xoxjesicaoxo June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "This medication has helped me greatly in coping with Interstitial Cystitis (IC). There are different types of pain associated with IC, and this medication helps with one of the most debilitating which is a hot poker feeling that starts in the urethra and continues straight up the center. Also, some of the urgency to urinate is relieved. Even with this medication I am attached to a heating pad, but without it there is nothing left of me other than the pain. As for side effects, I have to eat first or I become nauseous with occasional vomiting and headaches. Well worth it."

Annalisethedark June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uristat (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "My Dr said to try this. Said it would work better than AZO. It helped a bunch with the burning. ( my Dr gave me antibiotics to take with this) I noticed muscle cramps. It's the only new thing I am taking. Its not the antibiotics cause I've taken it before and had no problem. Muscle pain on both arms and hands lower back cramps and both legs are cramping. Anyone else had this problem?"

WillowBelle May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dysuria: "My husband went to the ER a few days ago due to painful urination and bleeding. No sign of infection yet nor of stones, but traces of blood in the urine...they gave him Uristat to help with the pain. He says it is helping some with the pain, but the side effects are not good. He is having awful nausea and headaches and can barely stay awake after taking it. Been going to bed at 7pm. Just very miserable. Thankfully, it was only to be taken for three days. Hoping his symptoms ease tomorrow. I don't think he will jump at the chance to take this drug again."

ryn557 February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I've always had good luck using this for bladderpain...although I read where the active ingredient phenazopyridine HCl. Has been found to cause intestinal cancer in laboratory rats and liver cancer in lab mice...this is concerning to me and should very well be to all. Just an FYI."

KMarak59 (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "it doesn't treat urinary tract infections ."

ifizzle (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dysuria: "My doctor prescribed pyridium to ease itchiness and burning caused by a yeast infection. This medication did not work at all for me, I am as itchy as ever!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "The active ingredient for temp relief burning, urgency of cystitis/UTI is PHENAZOPYRIDINE 97.5 mg. Formerly, Pyridium. Typically taken with powerful antibiotic. You/ObGyn can do a strip test to see if situation requires antibiotics; WARNING-since flouroquinolones have proven toxic to thousands, insist on alternative. TIPS: Wipe front to back. Partners bathe before sex. Urinate after sex. Male hands and nails clean/ smooth before foreplay. No sex after BM unless both bathed! Drink water all day. D-Mannose is the best natural cure(Health food). I'm sorry for your discomfort. The man must understand, he has to keep very clean, too! Use condom if he has BPH(retrograde ejaculation)."

TheStruggleIsReal4UTIs! November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I was in pain one might so i drove to kroger at 3 in the morning bought this because it said it had more strength than azo so I took them as soon as i walked out the store drive home sat in my car for an hour to still be in pain. These pills do not work i drove back to kroger got the azo brand and was in relief within 20 mins dont waist your money on this brand"

Lisa3221 October 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I've been having UTIs for 7 years, my most recent one has lasted 24 days so far. Because of this I went to the doctor and they prescribed me pyridium twice a day. I was very hopeful but unfortunately it didn't work. The burning while urinating is still there and I've been on it for three days so far. Also discomfort all hours of the day down there. It may work well for others but my body doesn't accept it, it did nothing. Going to the doctor was useless, go straight to the urologist"

Efgigjdkd October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This was recommended by my doctor to help with abdominal pain I was having because of a UTI. Every time I take this it increases the pain substantially for 30 minutes or more. After that the pain subsides though it's certainly not gone. Time to try some other pain killer."

Llaw September 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dysuria: "Took the medicine last night for the first time. Didn't notice any changes, except that it made me sleepy. This morning I awoke to find that I had a major headache, terrible stomach cramps, all-over body ache and confusion. I would not recommend this product, as it also gave me really weird dreams."

Anonymous182759 September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This medicine is my go to every time! It takes away every bit of pain and discomfort that comes along with a UTI, would recommend to anyone!"

angkahl August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I'm a man with UTI which is much less common than in women. My Dr. tells me that my case is fairly bad and seems surprised that I didn't complain more about the considerable pain while urinating. He prescribed antibiotics to heal the infection and this drug to help with pain and urgent feeling of needing to go. I experienced gut wrenching nearly vomit inducing pain while urinating on this medicine while prior to dosage I was experiencing discomfort to start urine flow but manageable pain that subsided when ending urination. The primary difference with this medication seemed to be more severe pain and less ability to stop it than before I was using the drug. I'll NEVER take another dosage again. Really, really rough for me."

JimCMaleUTI August 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I had to come home early from work, thought I needed the ER. Called my sis and she said to try Uricalm first. SOOOO glad I took her advice. I went from fetal position with nausea and pain to almost complete relief in less than an hour. LESS THAN AN HOUR! I've never written a review for anything in my life, but this was beyond amazing that I couldn't help but pass this along to fellow hurting mamas. I'm still cranberrying and antibiotic-ing it up but my symptoms have totally subsided. From tears to cheers!! I'm in total disbelief! (Hahaha I sound like an infomercial, but I promise I'm real!! ;) good luck!!"

Uri-pain gone! (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For : "I thought I had a UTI. I felt the urgency to urinate. I remember having one tablet of Phenazopyridine Hcl 100 mg Tab Ecip left , so I took it. In about 1/2 hour I felt my stomach swell bad and then got this horrendous back pain in my lower left back side. I took these before and didn't remember this reaction. I thought I might ride it out until I could get to the Urgent Clinic the next day. The pain became so intense, that I couldn't lay, sit or stand. I realized something was wrong with me and I needed help. I phoned the local police department. While I had the dispatcher on the phone, I began to vomit profusely. Turned out I had a kidney stone. Did this medicine cause these reactions, or was this a coincidence. I wouldn't take again."

PegM (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dysuria: "This drug was very helpful and relieved the pain less than 4 hours after taking it. I highly recommend this drug for easing pain when you urinate."

Moont July 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "When my IC flares up (like it did last night when I drank a huge glass of orange juice--big mistake) and I can't sleep because of that horrible ache, one dose of this stuff works for me. I get the maximum strength OTC generic from CVS (Walgreen's has one, too) but even if you have to pay full price for the brand name, it is worth it. I'm so glad I found this drug. I do have a box of thin maxi-pads left over from when I had periods, and since I'm at that age where I leak a bit, I wear these to keep my underwear and bed sheets from turning psychedelic orange."

bertagale (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "Did absolutely nothing to help with the burning or pain. Just made me queasy and turned my pee highlighter orange. Total waste of $5."

Unhappy newlywed June 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dysuria: "I took it for the first few days(for pain) along with an antibiotic for a uti, and this med worked ok, I guess, but it made me ... So... Nauseous! Eating before did not prevent it. I had to deep breath through pursed lips for an hour or two after taking a pill "

anjimaldo April 11, 2016