User Reviews for Phenazopyridine

Also known as: Azo Urinary Pain Relief, Azo-Gesic, Azo-Septic, Azo-Standard, Baridium, Eridium, Phenazo, Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief, Preferred Urinary Pain Relief, Prodium, Pyridiate, Pyridium, Re-Azo, Uricalm, Urinary Analgesic, Uristat, Urodol, Urogesic, Viridium …show all brand names

Interstitial Cystitis
7.8

Dysuria
6.9

Summary of Phenazopyridine reviews 7.3 101 reviews

Reviews for Phenazopyridine

For Not Listed / Other: "Prescribed by surgeon who implanted polypropelene mesh sling in my abdomen. This device is killing me. I took Pyridium for three years prescribed by the Doctor. I am taking it again now OTC under name AZO. Blessings, Bejah"

Bejah no (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 22, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I've had urinary tract infections (UTI's) since my late teens. Then it was Pyridium. It always helped until Bactrim kicked in. In 2004 I got a UTI and pain never went away. Saw a urologist who specialzed in interstitial cystitis (IC) and was diagnosed with IC. Since then I've had many infections. Azo without cranberry helps with certain bacteria but not others. I'm in my 60's and this is now a killer on my stomach. But if I'm in a lot of pain I'll take just one with food. I noticed when cultured it aggravates sometimes and works for others. AZO is acidic and so are some strains of bacteria. So for me it's a mixed bag."

Pessimist (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2018

For Dysuria: "My gosh this drug is a life saver. On the 1-10 scale of pain, my UTI was a 9. With this drug I feel well enough to go to work finally and can move around."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "This drug brings on the worst back pain for me. After three weeks no more!"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I recently took pyridium for the first time and for me it’s a miracle drug! I recently suffered my first full blown UTI and it was extremely painful and uncomfortable. After one dose of pyridium, my symptoms have completely disappeared and I feel back to normal. I am also on an antibiotic to clear up the infection. It took about 3 hours to really start working but 14 hours later the relief is still there. And it’s cheap at the pharmacy. I would recommend anyone give it a try! My pain and urgency are gone and I’m so happy!"

kendall (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: "I have dealing with IC for 7 years. My urologist said to take AZO. Problem, I have discovered that when I take AZO, it makes my pain and frequency twice to 3 times worse. On a scale on 1 to 10, I rate this product a 1."

Ar Be (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 6, 2018

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "Many years ago I was prescribed Pyridium for UTI. I took one tablet. What I experienced was not a allergic reaction. I am a nurse and honestly the only way I can describe what happened is ‘every cell in my entire body wanted Pyridium OUT!’ Like Kryptonite to Superman, I honestly believe if I ever took it again I would die. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced. Even handling Pyridium makes me nervous. It has been over 25 years ago."

Me23255 February 3, 2018

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I took the drug and followed Dr.'s instructions. First day I began to have uneasy stomach, and the following day, I vomited food and pill. After four days stopping taking the pill, I'm still having an uneasy stomach. I have had also leg cramps at night. This medicine in not for me."

Marisina (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I was feeling an urge to pee constantly and burning feeling in my bladder. I had went to the doctor and was told I had a UTI and was given medication. I asked my doctor about AZO pills and was informed that it would help. So I stopped by the local store and bought some with a bottled water. It helped me in less than 30 minutes. I was so relieved. It helped with the pain and constant urge to pee."

Amber13%10 (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I had a UTI and It helped with my pain but only brought on terrible back pain. it hurt so bad I couldn't breath or move it was worse than the uti pain. Let's just say after one day they are in the trash and I embrace uti pain worse product ever."

More pain than help November 8, 2017

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This product, in just minutes (less than an hour) nulled the intense, acute pain and allowed me to relax. The pain was a 9 on a 10-scale. The UTI was due to severe dehydration leading to acute renal failure as I discovered 2 days later. Yes, the urine takes the color of the pills but none of my underwear retained the temporary stains of the product. I can't image any quicker help especially going to the ER over this. You usually wait for hours as I did in the ER. But at least I had taken this medicine so I wasn't in misery. I'd highly recommend it without any reservations whatsoever."

Holstein Gal (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

For Dysuria: "I used this when I was passing a kidney stone because it was originally diagnosed as a UTI. It did help a great deal in the beginning. Not so much at the end when the stone was stuck at the bottom of the ureter but then again, why would it? It’s not for that. Vicodin is for that. I ended up getting surgery to remove the stone after an agonizing 5 weeks of trying to pass it. They put in a urethral stent for 2 weeks and this product saved me. With it I could pee once every 30 min or so. Without it I felt the need nearly constantly. Sometimes I’d even pee, stand up and feel the need to pee again before I could even walk out of the stall So I mean it that it saved me. I was able to work."

JanisK (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

For Dysuria: "Do not take this medicine. Doctors and pharmacists do not tell you the extent of side effects. A small warning suggests that it may turn your urine orange. It does not say the color of your urine will look like you are bleeding out. Nor does it say it will stain and ruin the porcelain in your toilet. Outrageous that this medicine is even on the market."

Momo15431 September 28, 2017

For Dysuria: "I took one of the 200mg pills as prescribed to me for UTI symptoms. I took it with a meal and a glass of water as suggested. It did work relatively quickly to get rid of the urgency, burning, and pain. Unfortunately it caused me to vomit up everything I ate and drank within 5 hours of taking it. Severe dizziness, nausea, and uncontrollable vomiting are not worth the benefits of the medication."

Desertrain September 9, 2017

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have no clue what is wrong with me. After three months I am still suffering from constant urge to pee / frequency. I had the sensitive urine cultures and oddly enough bacteria was found. Funny how you can't find any bacteria with a regular test. I don't have pain yet just frequency and no leaks! So I'm going for another opinion because all bacteria is gone. Doc says just residual inflammation. Come on now! I doubt it. So I take pyridium whenever I flare bad. It helps cut the frequency to 1 time every 1.5-2 hours or even longer. It's amazing. Yes I pee less and love it! Without it, I go 5 times in one hour. Makes me so sad"

NoUTI (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I took it while at work. It never calmed my pain. I plan on going to get some AZO."

CoDehdvdihsvydubsvsgdhbsvdyd August 8, 2017

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "This is the perfect medicine to help get over UTI symptoms. Now remember, this medication is only a pain reliever. If you have any of the symptoms that Uricalm relieves, go see a doctor!! If you have an infection you MUST to take antibiotics or it will only get worse and enter your kidneys...(which can be way way way more painful than a bladder infection) Uricalm does not treat underlying problems. But, is a life saver in the healing process!!!! I immediately lost the urgency of having to urinate, I was able to urinate and feel like I had emptied my bladder completely, and the burning sensation was gone. I Highly recommend it if your struggling with harsh symptoms."

Hall881 July 5, 2017

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I've suffered from Interstitial Cystitis since I was about 13 (now 29) I wasn't diagnosed until about 3 years ago up till then doctors always tried saying it was UTIs but every urine‚Äč test always came back negative. Since I was 13 I've always had azo pills on me. They are my savior .. they taste horrible but work with in 10 to 15 minutes after taking. Only thing is now I'm worrying about taking them so much due to just recently after taking them I had blood in my urine and severe nausea and chills"

Xoxjesicaoxo June 18, 2017

For Interstitial Cystitis: "This medication has helped me greatly in coping with Interstitial Cystitis (IC). There are different types of pain associated with IC, and this medication helps with one of the most debilitating which is a hot poker feeling that starts in the urethra and continues straight up the center. Also, some of the urgency to urinate is relieved. Even with this medication I am attached to a heating pad, but without it there is nothing left of me other than the pain. As for side effects, I have to eat first or I become nauseous with occasional vomiting and headaches. Well worth it."

Annalisethedark June 15, 2017

Uristat (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "My Dr said to try this. Said it would work better than AZO. It helped a bunch with the burning. ( my Dr gave me antibiotics to take with this) I noticed muscle cramps. It's the only new thing I am taking. Its not the antibiotics cause I've taken it before and had no problem. Muscle pain on both arms and hands lower back cramps and both legs are cramping. Anyone else had this problem?"

WillowBelle May 9, 2017

For Dysuria: "My husband went to the ER a few days ago due to painful urination and bleeding. No sign of infection yet nor of stones, but traces of blood in the urine...they gave him Uristat to help with the pain. He says it is helping some with the pain, but the side effects are not good. He is having awful nausea and headaches and can barely stay awake after taking it. Been going to bed at 7pm. Just very miserable. Thankfully, it was only to be taken for three days. Hoping his symptoms ease tomorrow. I don't think he will jump at the chance to take this drug again."

ryn557 February 6, 2017

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "I've always had good luck using this for bladderpain...although I read where the active ingredient phenazopyridine HCl. Has been found to cause intestinal cancer in laboratory rats and liver cancer in lab mice...this is concerning to me and should very well be to all. Just an FYI."

KMarak59 (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: "it doesn't treat urinary tract infections ."

ifizzle (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

For Dysuria: "My doctor prescribed pyridium to ease itchiness and burning caused by a yeast infection. This medication did not work at all for me, I am as itchy as ever!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

For Interstitial Cystitis: "The active ingredient for temp relief burning, urgency of cystitis/UTI is PHENAZOPYRIDINE 97.5 mg. Formerly, Pyridium. Typically taken with powerful antibiotic. You/ObGyn can do a strip test to see if situation requires antibiotics; WARNING-since flouroquinolones have proven toxic to thousands, insist on alternative. TIPS: Wipe front to back. Partners bathe before sex. Urinate after sex. Male hands and nails clean/ smooth before foreplay. No sex after BM unless both bathed! Drink water all day. D-Mannose is the best natural cure(Health food). I'm sorry for your discomfort. The man must understand, he has to keep very clean, too! Use condom if he has BPH(retrograde ejaculation)."

TheStruggleIsReal4UTIs! November 23, 2016