User Reviews for Phenazopyridine

Also known as: Pyridium, Azo Urinary Pain Relief, Uristat, Azo-Standard, Uricalm, Prodium, Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief, Azo-Septic, Eridium Baridium Re-Azo Azo-Gesic Preferred Urinary Pain Relief …show all brand names

Phenazopyridine has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 152 ratings on Drugs.com. 60% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Dysuria
6.6
Interstitial Cystitis
7.4
Summary of Phenazopyridine reviews 6.9 152 reviews

Reviews for Phenazopyridine

kd5192 May 21, 2021

For Dysuria: “I take these whenever I have a UTI and it really does help so much SOMETIMES. It doesn’t always help 100%, but provides some relief. You can only take this for 3 days in a row and it doesn’t cure the UTI. It also turns your pee bright orange lol, so don’t freak out. I’ve taken it with and without food and it didn’t matter either way. No side effects, not any that I noticed anyways.”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 18, 2021

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “After struggling for 1.5 years with pain & urgency, Pyridium is the only medication that helps me 100%. My flare ups have gotten worse & worse and sometimes I have to take up to 600mg, but it always relieves my pain. I will always recommend it & make sure you take Pyridium with food!!! I am forever grateful that this medication exists & that I am able to use access it.”

AJ · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “Ooooooomg! What a MIRACLE! I’ve never had a UTI before and I spent days googling my symptoms and convinced myself I had some sort of endometrial cancer. Don’t do internet searches on symptoms. Ever. I was in bad shape. The urgency was the worst. About an hour after I took it, it felt like something was inside my bladder giving it a big hug. Pain went away, urine stopped leaking, and I felt like myself again after 5 days or torture. Was also put on Macrobid for the infection but it was this stuff that made me feel well again. No bad side affects at all! And I’ll take the orange urine, toilet stains and I just used a panty liner to protect my underwear. Bladder spasms are the worst part of a UTI and this was my first so I was convinced I had something terminal lol. I would love to give the investor of this amazing drug a huge hug! Oh and it was like $3.”

Cathy October 3, 2018

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “I have used this medicine for flare ups, it helps a lot for the symptoms of ic. I was wondering if anyone else gets a very dry mouth and extremely bad muscle spasms in your feet and legs. The spasms pretty bad at night and I only get them when I take this medicine.”

BJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2018

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “I have suffered with IC for over 11 years. This over the counter medicine has given me temporary relief like no other. Easy to find, reasonably priced. When the urgent care clinics and the emergency rooms can only treat the pain temporarily with major side effects. Azo does much better with no wait, major adverse effects, and turmoil. It is definitely a Godsend! It won't cure, but while you are waiting for treatment, it definitely provides calming results that are so welcomed. Wonderful product!”

p3Obleo May 29, 2020

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “60 yr. old female with Severe Autoimmune Interstitital Cystitis. After 2 years, many Dr.'s, urologists failed to properly diagnose. I got down to 86 lbs., that's adult size 0 jeans! Couldn't eat. Finally diagnosed sent to Urologist who did a cystoscopy, confirming severe autoimmune IC. Started bladder instillations of heperan, lidocaine & Elmiron, once a week for about 18 months, until my bladder just couldn't stand to be cathed one more time. This was before CDC's Opioid Prescribing Guidelines, & the mass hysteria which cut meds to legit chronic pain patients. AZO MAX reduces spasms & burning somewhat. Tried Elmiron, did nothing may cause eye problems & $$$$! Uribel, now unaffordable. Botox injections helped frequency issues, would recommend. Daily pain unbearable! Quality of life w/o pain meds is minus 5-8. Had to go on disability.”

CC Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2020

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine): “I have been taking Azo Urinary Pain Relief for about 3 months now and it changed my life! I use to go to the bathroom probably every 30 mins. My sleep was interrupted 5 to 6 times s night. Love AZO... THANK YOU AZO!!!!!!”

andrewsc57 October 28, 2009

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “I researched OTC medicines for urinary tract infection last night when I was very uncomfortable with symptoms and had not been able to get to the Dr. The previous night I could not sleep due to excessive urgency after already emptying my bladder. At 9:30PM I decided to get to the pharmacy to find this medication or something similar. I was skeptical but amazed after taking 2 tabs as directed at 10:00PM I was able to sleep all night comfortably. I did as the medication instructed and contacted my Dr. today. All I wanted was to get through the night and it really worked! It works so well but don't be fooled that you don't need to see a Doctor. It will not cure the infection.”

Tokyo · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “Man , this does nothing for me but turn my urine ORANGE . It made my stomach hurt extremely bad . Like , it made a knot in my stomach where I couldn’t move . I had a heat flash and all . It was horrible . Seriously”

geol November 11, 2020

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “I decided to give these pills a try after I still had some lingering symptoms after finishing UTI antibiotics from my doctor. Though my urge to urinate wasn't as bad and I wasn't in pain anymore, I was still having some discomfort. Uricalm worked like a charm but make sure you eat a FULL MEAL before taking the two pills. I made the mistake of only eating an apple beforehand and nearly threw up and then had diarrhea. Thankfully, the latter wasn't painful (I also have a really sensitive digestive system, so you may not experience those symptoms at all), but I would still eat something substantial. Even with these symptoms, my urge to urinate frequently was already gone. Later I tried taking the pills after having a sandwich and I was completely fine. It turned my urine bright reddish-orange, but aside from that, I felt completely back to normal again. I definitely recommend if you're just coming off of a UTI like me or are experiencing UTI symptoms but can't get to a doctor just yet.”

kay kay · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 22, 2020

Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “I am only 21 years old. I was diagnosed with IC. I wouldn't say I like taking AZO standard maximum pain relief, but it has been the only thing that helps. I have to take the prescribed amount every few months. Each time I have a flare-up, the side effects of AZO has gotten worse. When I first started to take it, I had no side effects from it. It has been a few years now, and every time I have to take it, the side effects keep getting worse. I feel fatigued, nausea, dizziness; all I want to do is lay in bed and not move. I don't think I am supposed to be taking it as often as I am and has taken a toll on my body. It is literally the only thing that helps.”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

For Interstitial Cystitis: “I have IC that flares with my endometriosis during periods. They are common co-morbid conditions and it causes burning when I urinate. However, I never have a UTI. I've usually just suffered through it until my period ended, but I remembered AZO made this wonderful product similar to the prescription that my gynecologist gave me and it helped immensely. No more burning when I pee! You do have to wear a pad and underwear that you don't care about if it gets stained because the pee turns BRIGHT orange, but it's a small price to pay. So happy to feel better.”

CaMaJa · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2013

Pyridium (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “It has helped a lot. Does turn my urine a neon orange. I had taken it before now about 3 years ago without any other side effects besides neon Orange urine, but this time my vision went very blurry, very quickly and scared me a lot. Then I started reading other people's reviews on it and now I understand its normal and nothing for me to freak out over. This is a great medicine either way.”

Girlygirl 45 · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2013

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “I've had urinary tract infections since I was little. My mom always bought these numbing pills and they worked like a charm! I'm having one at the moment and my mom bought Uricalm. Works within minutes for me and totally takes away the pain. These things work for hours and hours. And the higher the dosage the better it works. Total life saver if your having any bladder problems.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more November 24, 2014

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “I have used this for years off and on during flare ups of IC. Besides making my urine a 1970's throwback color of orange, over the past year or two AZO Standard has upset my stomach. Not enough of a problem to do without it, but enough to avoid food. It does work to rid me of the urgency and burning sensation. .”

Anonymous December 13, 2011

For Interstitial Cystitis: “When the pain of interstitial cystitis hits, it's awful. One or two doses of this fantastic medicine always either eliminates the pain or makes it barely noticeable. I don't need it daily. But when I do need it, I want it on hand. It's the best thing I can find and that I trust for the pain of interstitial cystitis. Also, I consider it safe and it has no side effects.”

NoUTI · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2017

For Interstitial Cystitis: “I have no clue what is wrong with me. After three months I am still suffering from constant urge to pee / frequency. I had the sensitive urine cultures and oddly enough bacteria was found. Funny how you can't find any bacteria with a regular test. I don't have pain yet just frequency and no leaks! So I'm going for another opinion because all bacteria is gone. Doc says just residual inflammation. Come on now! I doubt it. So I take pyridium whenever I flare bad. It helps cut the frequency to 1 time every 1.5-2 hours or even longer. It's amazing. Yes I pee less and love it! Without it, I go 5 times in one hour. Makes me so sad”

yessy February 29, 2012

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “This product is a God send. It helps so much with my interstitial cystitis symptoms. But I have noticed that if I use it very frequently that my unine starts to smell really bad. Which concerns me s bit.”

Uri-pain gone! · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “I had to come home early from work, thought I needed the ER. Called my sis and she said to try Uricalm first. SOOOO glad I took her advice. I went from fetal position with nausea and pain to almost complete relief in less than an hour. LESS THAN AN HOUR! I've never written a review for anything in my life, but this was beyond amazing that I couldn't help but pass this along to fellow hurting mamas. I'm still cranberrying and antibiotic-ing it up but my symptoms have totally subsided. From tears to cheers!! I'm in total disbelief! (Hahaha I sound like an infomercial, but I promise I'm real!! ;) good luck!!”

feeling better at 59 October 16, 2015

Uristat (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “Doctor told me to take this uristat . super drug, I feel normal again. I can sleep longer, no real pain and the only side effect is urine is yellowish orange. But who cares about that if your rid of pain and spasms. Thank you doctor!”

MurphyGal · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine): “Three weeks ago I had a marble size kidney stone removed via laser lithotripsy and they placed a stent. The pain was awful!! I would rather go through natural childbirth again versus what I have had to endure! The pain with the stent was almost as bad as the pain with the stone. It impacted my ability to work it was horrible. My best friend recommended AZO to me. My son went to the store but bought the wrong medication. While at work today after the stent was removed yesterday. I was in and out of the bathroom every few minutes. I sent a text to my bestie and she actually went to the store and got me the maximum strength. What a relief!! Pain gone in about 20 minutes! I was able to finish my work day. After taking narcotics that barely touched the pain it was a miracle! I am keeping this in my purse! It’s a wonder pill!”

xlk February 18, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “This message is VERY IMPORTANT: As soon as you feel even the slightest bit discomfort you must take these pills because they take even up to 45 minutes to really kick in. You MUST take them with food, and I mean like as much as a meal or similar or you WILL get very sick. BUT this is the best pain relief I have ever felt. Once you take them they last all day and eliminate any pain including while you’re peeing. Yes they do make you lower back a little sensitive but it’s worth the relief this medicine brings. I like to eat breakfast, pop two in my mouth and sit in a hot relaxing bath til they kick in and it works wonders, really great! I highly recommend using this medicine!”

KMarak59 · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2017

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Dysuria: “I've always had good luck using this for bladderpain...although I read where the active ingredient phenazopyridine HCl. Has been found to cause intestinal cancer in laboratory rats and liver cancer in lab mice...this is concerning to me and should very well be to all. Just an FYI.”

ChristyJames July 12, 2013

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “I use Azo-Standard whenever I have issues with antibiotics or other medications that leave me with a feeling of frequency and/or generalized discomfort. Azo-Standard has always helped greatly, especially at night or anytime I have to sit for long periods which can usually lead to pain and discomfort.”

bertagale · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 17, 2016

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine) for Interstitial Cystitis: “When my IC flares up (like it did last night when I drank a huge glass of orange juice--big mistake) and I can't sleep because of that horrible ache, one dose of this stuff works for me. I get the maximum strength OTC generic from CVS (Walgreen's has one, too) but even if you have to pay full price for the brand name, it is worth it. I'm so glad I found this drug. I do have a box of thin maxi-pads left over from when I had periods, and since I'm at that age where I leak a bit, I wear these to keep my underwear and bed sheets from turning psychedelic orange.”