User Reviews for Phenazopyridine to treat Dysuria

Also known as: Pyridium, Azo Urinary Pain Relief, Azo-Standard, Uristat, Azo-Septic, Prodium, Uricalm, Eridium Baridium Re-Azo Azo-Gesic Preferred Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief Preferred Urinary Pain Relief …show all brand names

Phenazopyridine has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 91 ratings for the treatment of Dysuria. 58% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Phenazopyridine Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Dysuria.

Reviews for Phenazopyridine

kd5192 May 21, 2021

“I take these whenever I have a UTI and it really does help so much SOMETIMES. It doesn’t always help 100%, but provides some relief. You can only take this for 3 days in a row and it doesn’t cure the UTI. It also turns your pee bright orange lol, so don’t freak out. I’ve taken it with and without food and it didn’t matter either way. No side effects, not any that I noticed anyways.”

AJ · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “Ooooooomg! What a MIRACLE! I’ve never had a UTI before and I spent days googling my symptoms and convinced myself I had some sort of endometrial cancer. Don’t do internet searches on symptoms. Ever. I was in bad shape. The urgency was the worst. About an hour after I took it, it felt like something was inside my bladder giving it a big hug. Pain went away, urine stopped leaking, and I felt like myself again after 5 days or torture. Was also put on Macrobid for the infection but it was this stuff that made me feel well again. No bad side affects at all! And I’ll take the orange urine, toilet stains and I just used a panty liner to protect my underwear. Bladder spasms are the worst part of a UTI and this was my first so I was convinced I had something terminal lol. I would love to give the investor of this amazing drug a huge hug! Oh and it was like $3.”

andrewsc57 October 28, 2009

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “I researched OTC medicines for urinary tract infection last night when I was very uncomfortable with symptoms and had not been able to get to the Dr. The previous night I could not sleep due to excessive urgency after already emptying my bladder. At 9:30PM I decided to get to the pharmacy to find this medication or something similar. I was skeptical but amazed after taking 2 tabs as directed at 10:00PM I was able to sleep all night comfortably. I did as the medication instructed and contacted my Dr. today. All I wanted was to get through the night and it really worked! It works so well but don't be fooled that you don't need to see a Doctor. It will not cure the infection.”

Tokyo · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine): “Man , this does nothing for me but turn my urine ORANGE . It made my stomach hurt extremely bad . Like , it made a knot in my stomach where I couldn’t move . I had a heat flash and all . It was horrible . Seriously”

CaMaJa · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2013

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “It has helped a lot. Does turn my urine a neon orange. I had taken it before now about 3 years ago without any other side effects besides neon Orange urine, but this time my vision went very blurry, very quickly and scared me a lot. Then I started reading other people's reviews on it and now I understand its normal and nothing for me to freak out over. This is a great medicine either way.”

Girlygirl 45 · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2013

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “I've had urinary tract infections since I was little. My mom always bought these numbing pills and they worked like a charm! I'm having one at the moment and my mom bought Uricalm. Works within minutes for me and totally takes away the pain. These things work for hours and hours. And the higher the dosage the better it works. Total life saver if your having any bladder problems.”

Uri-pain gone! · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “I had to come home early from work, thought I needed the ER. Called my sis and she said to try Uricalm first. SOOOO glad I took her advice. I went from fetal position with nausea and pain to almost complete relief in less than an hour. LESS THAN AN HOUR! I've never written a review for anything in my life, but this was beyond amazing that I couldn't help but pass this along to fellow hurting mamas. I'm still cranberrying and antibiotic-ing it up but my symptoms have totally subsided. From tears to cheers!! I'm in total disbelief! (Hahaha I sound like an infomercial, but I promise I'm real!! ;) good luck!!”

xlk February 18, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “This message is VERY IMPORTANT: As soon as you feel even the slightest bit discomfort you must take these pills because they take even up to 45 minutes to really kick in. You MUST take them with food, and I mean like as much as a meal or similar or you WILL get very sick. BUT this is the best pain relief I have ever felt. Once you take them they last all day and eliminate any pain including while you’re peeing. Yes they do make you lower back a little sensitive but it’s worth the relief this medicine brings. I like to eat breakfast, pop two in my mouth and sit in a hot relaxing bath til they kick in and it works wonders, really great! I highly recommend using this medicine!”

KMarak59 · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2017

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine): “I've always had good luck using this for bladderpain...although I read where the active ingredient phenazopyridine HCl. Has been found to cause intestinal cancer in laboratory rats and liver cancer in lab mice...this is concerning to me and should very well be to all. Just an FYI.”

Nothappening01 May 30, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “I went to the store as soon as I had discomfort and saw that these were a higher dosage so I bought them. The first time it helped a little. I've been taking them 3 times a day for a couple of days and all they've done is change the color of my pee and possibly caused excruciating lower back pain as well as abdominal pain.”

winniepin88 August 30, 2013

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “Took this for pain relief for a urinary tract infection - took about an hour and a half to kick in for my first pill but after that I took it every 4 1/2 hrs because I had bad pressure and burning that kept coming back. Usually I have no symptoms on this but more recently when I took it I have had nausea, blurred vision, really bad sweats. But nothing serious that would make me stop taking the pill.”

Anonymous December 5, 2014

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine): “This medicine is a God send! I'm 20/F 140lbs and I frequently have pain at the very bottom of my urethra which Azo soothes every time. However it makes me quite nauseous if I don't take it right after eating and it makes my mouth taste strange and chemical-y. If you are considering taking this, make sure you stock up on black panties (or jammies) as it will stain everything.”

Winnie Pin August 29, 2013

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “I took Pyridium for my urinary tract infection. I have taken this medication many times and it works WONDERS. Takes away that uncomfy pressure and burning sensation. When I take it, it takes about 45 - 1 hr to kick in initially and then depending how bad my urinary tract infection is I take it every 4 hours. Usually I get no symptoms however this time taking it I do, I have gotten blurred vision, bad drowsiness, cold sweats and hot flashes, BUT they are all manageable!”

WillowBelle May 9, 2017

Uristat (phenazopyridine): “My Dr said to try this. Said it would work better than AZO. It helped a bunch with the burning. ( my Dr gave me antibiotics to take with this) I noticed muscle cramps. It's the only new thing I am taking. Its not the antibiotics cause I've taken it before and had no problem. Muscle pain on both arms and hands lower back cramps and both legs are cramping. Anyone else had this problem?”

CJ · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “Was in so much pain and the need to urinate was SO strong for hours. Took pyridium and like 1.5 hours later I felt WORLDS better! I would have given it a 10 if it worked a bit faster, but seriously, I was miserable and it helped so much!”

ooohyeah99 February 8, 2012

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “This is a magical medicine! Had a very bad bladder infection and couldn't get out of the bathroom! After 2 doses I had COMPLETE relief! Turns your urine highlighter orange but it's so worth it! I don't know how I ever got through a urinary tract infection without it!”

Jenn M September 7, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “I’m have chronic frequency and urgency due to having had six children and also MS. I tried this medication for the first time today while on a road trip. I am truly stunned by how well this works. I previously did not know what it’s like to urinate without pain. I’m someone going to bathroom every hour on the hour. This has been an amazing vacation from my normal burdensome symptoms. I’ve only taken the one dose thus far, and it worked immediately. A far cry from the AZO supplement which did nothing for me.”

Hall881 July 5, 2017

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “This is the perfect medicine to help get over UTI symptoms. Now remember, this medication is only a pain reliever. If you have any of the symptoms that Uricalm relieves, go see a doctor!! If you have an infection you MUST to take antibiotics or it will only get worse and enter your kidneys...(which can be way way way more painful than a bladder infection) Uricalm does not treat underlying problems. But, is a life saver in the healing process!!!! I immediately lost the urgency of having to urinate, I was able to urinate and feel like I had emptied my bladder completely, and the burning sensation was gone. I Highly recommend it if your struggling with harsh symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2021

“This didn't make a difference in my symptoms at all. None of my discomfort was relieved. My urine did turn very orange though! I also didn't have any negative reactions to this drug. It was like it didn't really affect me at all. It also cost me nearly $40, which is a lot for something that didn't work.”

beenthere123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2013

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “I have interstitial cystitis and also just finished a Z Pack for a sinus infection. I got a yeast infection and was in desperate pain, extreme burning , swelling etc. I took a 200mg Pyridium pill and cut in half, as I remember how nauseated it had formerly made me. I weigh 110lbs and I am sensitive to most medicines, so I like to start smaller. I suggest you take it with food as it says that it doesn't interfere with the affect it has. Will make your urine bright orange, so watch your white clothes.”

Smariew · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2016

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “I got a UTI on the last day of my vacation, with 12 hours of plane rides to get through. On my way to the airport, I stopped at the drugstore for some recommended Azo. I saw Uricalm Max and decided to give it a try since it was on sale. Best. Decision. Ever. I went from nearly crying, sitting with nothing coming out yet feeling like I was going to pee myself whenever I stood up.. to feeling 100% completely normal. When I got home, I went home and saw a doctor. I was prescribed the usual antibiotics and urinary analgesic. Uricalm Max works much better, and for longer than the medication from the pharmacy.. same price AND I can get uricalm over the counter to help until I can see a doctor for antibiotics.”

Joe · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2018

Azo Urinary Pain Relief (phenazopyridine): “Being susceptible to UTI’s this medication definitely helps when I’m not able to get to my doctors. I’m currently on vacation and was up every hour last night. I ran to CVS and was feeling better in no time.”

AZO Relieved April 22, 2013

Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine): “I found this to be incredibly helpful. I developed a urinary tract infection on a Friday night and had to go to work an hour later. Within an hour of taking AZO, I felt much more comfortable. It can make you feel dizzy. Therefore, I recommend taking the pill with a meal. My minor complaint would be that I found the time it took to kick in and wear off to vary greatly each time I took it. However, totally worth it. Warning: take an antibiotic when you can. AZO will make you feel better, but only temporarily.”

Me23255 February 3, 2018

Pyridium (phenazopyridine): “Many years ago I was prescribed Pyridium for UTI. I took one tablet. What I experienced was not a allergic reaction. I am a nurse and honestly the only way I can describe what happened is ‘every cell in my entire body wanted Pyridium OUT!’ Like Kryptonite to Superman, I honestly believe if I ever took it again I would die. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced. Even handling Pyridium makes me nervous. It has been over 25 years ago.”

Shay · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2019

Uricalm (phenazopyridine): “I tried Uricalm for the first time today because I was experiencing major pain and a great sense or urgency to urinate and I kid you not, this stuff works. I am not getting paid to share my opinion but it worked so well I felt I had to inform you all. I wished I had know about this before now. I am extremely pleased. I was in so much discomfort that I couldn't sit or stand without feeling the urgency to urinate. Now I am 90% better. ”

Learn more about Dysuria