User Reviews for Oxymetazoline

Also known as: 12 Hour Nasal, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Spray, Afrin, Afrin Allergy Sinus Nasal Spray, Afrin NoDrip Allergy Sinus, Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing, Afrin NoDrip Original, Afrin NoDrip Severe Congestion, Afrin NoDrip Sinus, Afrin Original, Afrin Severe Congestion, Afrin Sinus, Allerest 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Dristan 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Duramist Plus, Duration, Four-Way Nasal Spray, Genasal, Mucinex Sinus-Max Full Force, Mucinex Sinus-Max Moisture Smart, Neo-Synephrine 12 Hour, Nostrilla, Nostrilla 12 Hour, NRS Nasal, NTZ Long Acting Nasal, Oxyfrin, Oxymeta-12, Sinarest Nasal, Sudafed OM Sinus Cold, Sudafed OM Sinus Congestion, Todays Health Nasal Relief Extra Moisturizing, Vicks QlearQuil 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Moisturizing Spray, Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray, Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant UltraFine Mist, Vicks Sinex Moisturizing 12-Hour Decongestant UltraFine Mist, Vicks Sinex Severe Nasal Spray, Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief, Zicam Sinus Relief …show all brand names

Nasal Congestion
5.4

Summary of Oxymetazoline reviews 5.4 97 reviews

Reviews for Oxymetazoline

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "So I had a cold and my nose was congested, I bought afrin. While it helped me breathe, it also caused me a terrible rebound congestion (like a physical addiction). After the cold was over, I still needed to use Afrin in order to breathe. It also somehow causing me to have more nasal discharge. I had to ask someone to send me different nose spray/drops from Russia. I used that and there was less nose discharge and I didn’t have to use it as much. Unfortunately, I ran out of it two days ago, and had to buy afrin again, and AGAIN my nose is soooo runny, and so congested after an hour of using afrin. I have contacted Afrin, the customer service is extremely rude. I mean this honestly ruined my life. Imagine needing to use afrin in order to breathe? Don’t get it!"

Slimlady (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Afrin works fairly well when needed for congestion....but cap is impossible to remove easily....period! I may change products due to this issue...."

Maggie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2018

12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Spray (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Cap took 20 minutes to open, process was frustrating and painful."

Abe (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Don't purchase they have a child proof lid on it that can't be opened. So annoyed - I have bad congestion, I have purchased this product and I can't get into the damn thing."

ginger April 10, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Terrible design of child proof cap!!!"

Anonymous April 5, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Neither my wife nor I could open it. If you have kids you are afraid might find and open it, when you can't, take it back for a refund. Otherwise, grab the top of the red cap with a substantial pair of pliers and yank it off. Underneath it is a simple screw-off cap with no gimmicks. The stuff works if you can get at it (BUT follow precautions) hence my rating reflects, efficacy vs inconvenience."

Mike April 1, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "It is one of the worst products I have come across. It not only frustrated me but also put me in mild depression. I questioned myself a lot of times in the process to open the cap as it took me and my co traveler 45 min to give up and dig a hole into the cap using a nail cutter, that wasn't easy either, we both got minor injuries but never gave up. I watched number of YouTube videos and read blogs but nothing seemed to work. Someone needs to take responsibility and fix the design of the cap. Please don't make people more frustrated in the times of dire need."

I could not give a 0 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Child resistant cap impossible to remove for a person with arthritis. I finally got it off with pliers and a vice. Customer should be given a choice."

Rich February 24, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Impossible to open this spray! Do not buy it!"

Anonymous February 15, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I also could not get the cap off. This is absurd and ridiculous. I am writing three years after other people have posted they have the same problem."

CapWon'tComeOff February 4, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Opening this bottle was a cinch. I'm not so sure what was so hard about it to others, but I opened it without hesitation. recommendations for something for extremely dry nasal passages?"

Stopped up and dried out (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Here's how Bayer can solve the cap "problem": say "squeeze" instead of "push". Saying "push" is confusing when the spray mechanism allows for vertical movement of the cap, because I'm sure that, like me, you all tried pushing it down and then twisting. No. Don't. Just squeeze the red bit and then twist. It comes off immediately. While this is slightly confusing, I figured it out in about, I dunno, 15 seconds? Step 1 when something isn't working: try something else. With that out of the way, here's why this product really sucks: even a single use as directed will have you suffering INTENSE rebound congestion after 10-12 hours and you will be forced to either spray another dose or suffer several hours of torment. Absolute garbage product."

Albert Einstein December 15, 2017

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I have been using NOSTRILLA since the 80s, through all of the formula changes. This last "New Formula Fast Relief" formula change added Polyethylene glycol, and with the addition of this my hair has started to fall out again and the area around my nose is very itchy. This did not happen with the "Original Formula Fast Relief". I wish they would go back to the most current "Original" formula!"

Farritail (taken for 10 years or more) December 13, 2017

Afrin Original (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I can't rate the product because I can't get the cap open!! This is ridiculous! I will never buy this product again! Is this some kind of a sick joke? If I could give this product a 0 I would!"

Fit2BTied November 16, 2017

12 Hour Nasal (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Afrin works SO well if you can get the cap off the bottle. I cannot buy this product again unless the cap can be changed as it is infuriating to have to spend up to an hour trying to get it off so that the fluid can be dispensed. I see from other “reviews”that I am not in any way hamfisted as the bulk of complaints are from similarly annoyed users ( or non users as it turns out). I am VERY annoyed that I was unable to use this product and have wasted money paying for something which is not usable; retired people just do NOT have money to waste on a product that requires a full set of tools just to get to the contents."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I bought two of these because there were two of us in the household who had bad colds. We could not get the caps off. And, NO, we are not morons. We don't struggle with child-proof caps in general. We did follow the instructions. We also looked online and tried various suggestions. When you push down on the cap, the plastic neck gives way and recedes into the bottle. We even tried pliers to get a better grip. It didn't work. The old style bottled worked, but not the new ones. So, don't waste your money!"

Nebit (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: "Haven't tried it yet but very easy to open took me 2 seconds.. plp plz read & follow directions"

Anonymous October 24, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I love that the amount of negative reviews are because people don't know how to get the cap off lol. It's really not that hard people... afrin is wonderful. Sincerely, The person who knows how to take a child proof cap off."

Anonymous September 26, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Myself and one other person tried to get the cap off. I even watched a video online on how to do it. No luck. I ended up cutting the cap off with a knife - luckily I did not slice my hand. What on earth made them think that these bottles needed a child (and adult) proof cap in the first place. Unbelievable. In the future, I will look for any brand other than Afrin."

DaveZ September 23, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: "Used this due to facial flushing and anxiety to clear up my stuffy nose. 2 sprays in each nostril once a day for 2 days ended me up in the ER. High blood pressure and rapid heart rate..very rapid. Normally my BP is 118/78, last night 155/93. ER doc was like no more AFrin, gave me a sedative and kept a eye on me for 4 hours. wore of slowly. Stuff works great, but there is the side effects !"

Todd1964 September 6, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I wasted almost $16 on two spray bottles of Afrin because of the horrible safety cap. It is not a child-resistant cap. It is a Fort Knox style security system. In the end, in desperation to breath without driving back to the drugstore, I cut the top off one of the bottles with a skill saw. Once I got to the Afrin, it worked good enough -- but that took fifteen minutes of frustration. I will never, ever buy this product again because of the horrible packaging. The cap is more than poorly designed -- it's an insult to the consumer. Now that I can breathe again, I'm on my way back to Walgreen's for a refund and to buy another brand of nasal decongestant."

Jack T. (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Nostrilla 12 Hour (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "This is by far the best mist I have tried however I must agree about the cap .I do understand it child Proof and would be hard to figure out but you do have to consider older people have arthritis and vision problems maybe you cold make it easier But it is a good product"

Linny12345 July 10, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: "Works great but is highly addictive and I'd need to use it every 8 hours to be able to breathe thru my nose. I'm now suffering with mucosa rebound phenomenae .....it shrinks my nasal membranes but when it wears off my nose blocks severely and I'd have to use it more and more frequently to be comfortable."

Alkorn July 10, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: " Afrin is great and it works in seconds. Just don't use it more than 3 days in a row or you'll be more stuffed up than you were before you started."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Was okay product just need more of it if it was work some but nasal problem is really extreme bad."

Jamieleland June 17, 2017