User Reviews for Oxymetazoline

Also known as: 12 Hour Nasal, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Spray, Afrin, Afrin Allergy Sinus Nasal Spray, Afrin NoDrip Allergy Sinus, Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing, Afrin NoDrip Original, Afrin NoDrip Severe Congestion, Afrin NoDrip Sinus, Afrin Original, Afrin Severe Congestion, Afrin Sinus, Allerest 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Dristan 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Duramist Plus, Duration, Four-Way Nasal Spray, Genasal, Mucinex Sinus-Max Full Force, Mucinex Sinus-Max Moisture Smart, Neo-Synephrine 12 Hour, Nostrilla, Nostrilla 12 Hour, NRS Nasal, NTZ Long Acting Nasal, Oxyfrin, Oxymeta-12, Sinarest Nasal, Sudafed OM Sinus Cold, Sudafed OM Sinus Congestion, Todays Health Nasal Relief Extra Moisturizing, Vicks QlearQuil 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Moisturizing Spray, Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray, Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant UltraFine Mist, Vicks Sinex Moisturizing 12-Hour Decongestant UltraFine Mist, Vicks Sinex Severe Nasal Spray, Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief, Zicam Sinus Relief …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Oxymetazoline.

Nasal Congestion
5.9

Summary of Oxymetazoline reviews 5.9 84 reviews

Reviews for Oxymetazoline

Afrin Original (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I can't rate the product because I can't get the cap open!! This is ridiculous! I will never buy this product again! Is this some kind of a sick joke? If I could give this product a 0 I would!"

Fit2BTied November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

12 Hour Nasal (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Afrin works SO well if you can get the cap off the bottle. I cannot buy this product again unless the cap can be changed as it is infuriating to have to spend up to an hour trying to get it off so that the fluid can be dispensed. I see from other “reviews”that I am not in any way hamfisted as the bulk of complaints are from similarly annoyed users ( or non users as it turns out). I am VERY annoyed that I was unable to use this product and have wasted money paying for something which is not usable; retired people just do NOT have money to waste on a product that requires a full set of tools just to get to the contents."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I bought two of these because there were two of us in the household who had bad colds. We could not get the caps off. And, NO, we are not morons. We don't struggle with child-proof caps in general. We did follow the instructions. We also looked online and tried various suggestions. When you push down on the cap, the plastic neck gives way and recedes into the bottle. We even tried pliers to get a better grip. It didn't work. The old style bottled worked, but not the new ones. So, don't waste your money!"

Nebit (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion: "Haven't tried it yet but very easy to open took me 2 seconds.. plp plz read & follow directions"

Anonymous October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I love that the amount of negative reviews are because people don't know how to get the cap off lol. It's really not that hard people... afrin is wonderful. Sincerely, The person who knows how to take a child proof cap off."

Anonymous September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Myself and one other person tried to get the cap off. I even watched a video online on how to do it. No luck. I ended up cutting the cap off with a knife - luckily I did not slice my hand. What on earth made them think that these bottles needed a child (and adult) proof cap in the first place. Unbelievable. In the future, I will look for any brand other than Afrin."

DaveZ September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion: "Used this due to facial flushing and anxiety to clear up my stuffy nose. 2 sprays in each nostril once a day for 2 days ended me up in the ER. High blood pressure and rapid heart rate..very rapid. Normally my BP is 118/78, last night 155/93. ER doc was like no more AFrin, gave me a sedative and kept a eye on me for 4 hours. wore of slowly. Stuff works great, but there is the side effects !"

Todd1964 September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I wasted almost $16 on two spray bottles of Afrin because of the horrible safety cap. It is not a child-resistant cap. It is a Fort Knox style security system. In the end, in desperation to breath without driving back to the drugstore, I cut the top off one of the bottles with a skill saw. Once I got to the Afrin, it worked good enough -- but that took fifteen minutes of frustration. I will never, ever buy this product again because of the horrible packaging. The cap is more than poorly designed -- it's an insult to the consumer. Now that I can breathe again, I'm on my way back to Walgreen's for a refund and to buy another brand of nasal decongestant."

Jack T. (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nostrilla 12 Hour (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "This is by far the best mist I have tried however I must agree about the cap .I do understand it child Proof and would be hard to figure out but you do have to consider older people have arthritis and vision problems maybe you cold make it easier But it is a good product"

Linny12345 July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion: "Works great but is highly addictive and I'd need to use it every 8 hours to be able to breathe thru my nose. I'm now suffering with mucosa rebound phenomenae .....it shrinks my nasal membranes but when it wears off my nose blocks severely and I'd have to use it more and more frequently to be comfortable."

Alkorn July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: " Afrin is great and it works in seconds. Just don't use it more than 3 days in a row or you'll be more stuffed up than you were before you started."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Was okay product just need more of it if it was work some but nasal problem is really extreme bad."

Jamieleland June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "A friend of mine mentioned that this product will cost dependency. Even with that in mind my symptoms still led me to purchase it nonetheless. The good news is I'm not addicted to it nor dependent upon it, because I can't open it. This is the first and last time I will buy this product, whether they change the cap mechanism or not."

Old factory (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Impossible to open. Don't buy it."

Afrin is stupid (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I'm really surprised at how many people complain about the cap. I bought 2 bottle (because my whole family uses it) and got the tape and red cap off without a hitch. I just followed the picture on the side of the box....any way I love this product. Good luck everyone!"

Ashleymj April 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Picture this. You have a new bottle of Afrin in the medicine cabinet. It's 2:00 AM and you have a stuffy nose. You wake up and go open the Afrin package to find that it is VERY tightly sealed. So, you use some nearby scissors to cut the tape and instead you cut yourself. After a few minutes and some blood on your hands you manage to get the tape off only to find a complex system for the nozzle of the bottle. Still half asleep you try and get it to work but fail. You miss the old Vicks spray that had very simple nozzle, throw-away the Afrin and then vow to yourself to remember the name "Afrin" so that you never by the product again. You wonder if a lawyer was responsible for human factors design for Afrin, then try to go back to sleep"

Bobby_Co March 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Afrin is easy to use and effective, it helps me breath again. All you have to do to open it is push and turn, I do not understand why these people think it is hard to open."

Anonymous March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin Original (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "The bottle opening process is way too difficult especially for arthritis sufferers. The product is great if you ever get it open."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "After many long frustrating attempts by many people to open the blasted bottle, I read another review that said to turn it upside down and push with all your might, so I turned it upside down, pushed the cap *into* the neck of the bottle and squeezed the bottle so hard I worried it might burst, and it *Finally* opened. Then I was afraid to close it, worried that I wouldn't be able to reproduce the miraculous feat of opening it. This is NOT a 'childproof' cap. This IS the medicine bottle equivelence of Fort Knox. The effort wasted on trying to get it open is unreasonable. Shame on Bayer. As a physician, I used to recommend Afrin for nasal congestion. Not anymore."

FedUpDoc March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Take a pair of pliers after you purchase a new bottle and crack the red casing off. Clear top underneath will open and you will be able to breathe again."

Capbuster February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Awful experience!! Couldn't get the cap off so I spent 30 minutes trying to get it off. After 30 mins and a bloody cut up thumb I finally just grabbed my old bottle of nostrilla (which I would have much rather bought but couldn't find any at the store. For anyone reading this nostrilla is a 10/10 for me!!) Punctured a whole in the afrin bottle and squeezed the stuff into the nostrilla bottle... so nostrilla you the real MVP!!"

Anonymous February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "Just like everyone else, can't get the cap off. Ridiculous. We'll see if it clears me up. I will probably go get something else since this just seems like a mess"

sara12345678980 February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "DO NOT EVER BUY AFRIN NASAL SPRAY. Until Bayer gets themselves together and makes a cap that actually comes off, do not waste your time and money with this product."

Anonymous February 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin NoDrip Severe Congestion (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "I've always bought Afrin...But since they have added this lock cap for this new "snowflake" generaration ...I'm done with it ! Off to use adult drops !"

Ziggypop (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Afrin (oxymetazoline) for Nasal Congestion: "The cap is hella hard to get off smh. But! This stuff isn't total rubbish. It actually works very well."

saucyj_4life February 10, 2017