User Reviews for Oxymetazoline

Also known as: 12 Hour Nasal, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant, Afrin, Afrin All Night NoDrip, Afrin Extra Moisturizing, Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion, Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing, Afrin NoDrip Original, Afrin NoDrip Severe Congestion, Afrin NoDrip Sinus, Afrin Original, Afrin Severe Congestion, Afrin Sinus, Allerest 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Dristan 12 Hour Nasal Spray, ...show all 38 brand names

Learn more about Oxymetazoline.

Oxymetazoline Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 247 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Oxymetazoline to treat Nasal Congestion

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline): "I've used this product for about 15 years, as I have chronic nasal congestion at night. I would have given it a 9 until the new bottle design, which is so HORRIBLE I have to give it a 2. I love your product. It would be nice if I could still use it. The cap is wayy too hard to wrestle off for people who don't have great hand dexterity, and that whole "line up the tiny white plastic groove with the other tiny white plastic groove" thing is awful. I need to be able to use it in the dark without waking up my spouse. I will switch to another brand if I must."

VU January 14, 2017

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline): "Don't buy! The bottle is freakin' impossible to open especially when you can't breathe and all you want is relief. Tried everything to get lid off. Eventually I got it off with my teeth as this was only way I could keep the bottom half from turning as I twisted lid. I still ended up with medicine in my mouth because leaked while I was trying to turn lid off. Most stupid design ever, go with a different brand, trust me!"

Claire73 (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Seriously this product packaging is completely defective. Exhausted (and of course can't breathe) after hours of three people trying to get the new childproof cap off. Apparently the cap is vacuum locked on and you have to turn the bottle upside down and apply all your weight on it and turn and if you're lucky it will release and open. Absolutely a defective design."

Denise1973 January 5, 2017

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline): "Wish I did listen what others said after reviewing their experiences. Can't even open it and I don't think so I am dumb lol. So this is just in regard to their useless container. I also broke the container and applied to my kids nose which he woke me up in the middle of the night saying that his nose burn. Stay away this product but if you don't listen, be my hero to open the container as well as burn your nose."

2017 January 4, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Shameful!! You sell medication that can't be used because Bayer chose to save money using a defective bottle that won't open. Clearly no quality control or concern for consumers--even if they are strong healthy drilling rig operators."

Jcamillegray January 4, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "What have they done?! They used a very cheap manufactured plastic bottle which can't be opened and used until drill a hole into it which leads to waste half the liquid, secondly its use makes your congestion worst completely blocked after its temorary effect is gone, you end up having no choice but become an addicted to its use.. never recommend it to anyone"

Camerone December 31, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Twice now - more fool me - I have bought the original nasal spray and had the top take everything off when I opened it, rendering the product USELESS. It's annoying you can't rely on what was once a strong brand."

OConnellNYC December 29, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "I can't open this bottle and will probably have to return it. It is so frustrating. It looks like many people are having this problem with the Afrin childproof caps."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Would be nice to know if it works but can't open it! So many reviews saying how difficult it is to open, and no changes... stupid!"

cant open December 17, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "I had the worst time trying to get the cap off. Its child proof and adult proof. I had to end up cutting the cap off. This my first time using. It seem to be working and I just used it less than 5 minutes ago. Well one side of my nostrils is open."

Cap failed (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "This medicine should be ILLEGAL. It is extremely adicting and within only about 2 days of taking it your symptoms will be 5 times worse. I have been unable to breathe without this medication for around 4 years now. Tried many times to get off it but with no luck. I'm simply convinced that it has damaged my sinuses beyond repair. I'm begging you DO NOT take this. It may work wonders at first but within a day your nose will be completely blocked again and you will have to rely on the medicine again. It's a vicious circle."

Throwawayname December 13, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Would not have bought a new bottle if I had known the new safety cap was nearly impossible to open. Will not buy again until the cap is redesigned"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline): "This stuff is easily the best nose spray I've used. However, the cap is nearly impossible to open. Part of the problem is the base (trigger) moves while you are trying to remove the cap when you first open it. You also need a strong grip to squeeze the sides as directed on the cap to remove it. Highly recommended, but you will spend some time trying to open it when you use it for the first time."

Hard to open (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief (oxymetazoline): "This Zicam product works wonders it completely takes the worse conditions of Nadal congestion and makes it feel like you never had a problem after you use it. It's a secret remedie that's for sure"

Movers (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2016

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline): "I will never buy this product AGAIN. I could not figure out how to get the ridiculously-designed pump to WORK. Most nasal sprays have a simple screw cap. Not this one. Thew it in the GARBAGE. Worst waste of money in a long time."

BeatriceSt October 29, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Works but I guess I used it too often and it made my nose bleed badly. The child proof cap is terribly designed and obviously not tested before hand. I had to use pliers to open the bottle and that still took time. I'm looking for another brand because of this."

Brianaleah28 (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

"Clears up all nasal congestion within 3 minutes. Lasts for about 6 hours (though I have the "12 hour" version). However, I know it can cause rebound congestion if I use it too long. I only let myself use it for one day when I have a cold, though I would love to use it for three or four days."

Webcali September 9, 2016

Afrin All Night NoDrip (oxymetazoline): "I like the product, but the new cap is terrible. It took me a half an hour to get it off. Finally had to use a knife. Tell the whiz kids that come up with these ideas that there are a lot of us out there that don't have the strength of Hercules and are Rheumatoid Arthritis people. We can't get the bottles open."

don't have one (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 8, 2016

"Only stuff that works for my nasal congestion..works quickly but my understanding is that you cant use it long term which sucks."

Oasis_Orlando (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "This childproof cap is not operable, I followed your instructions and wound up cutting the dam cap off. The good news for you is a child won't ingest your product and you won't get sued. The bad news is a pissed off adult might cut their hand with a knife and switch products. Good job product safety !!!"

Not happy with packaging (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2016

"I had a nasal scope approximately 3 months ago and Afrin was used prior to the procedure. I immediately felt like I couldn't breathe and my throat and nose burned and tingled. I completely lost my voice for 6 days. It gradually came back, but it still fades in and out. If I try to carry on even a short conversation, my voice starts fading and gets raspy and hoarse. I've had a round of antibiotics, but I am continuing to have these symptoms. I have also lost the range in my voice for singing or yelling. What next?"

Mylee Mae (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "I bought a squeeze bottle 2 days ago and used it twice before the bottle opened at the seam and leaked all the solution everywhere. This is no longer a quality product and I will be using alternatives."

Nothappyafrinuser (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Great product ....literally can't remove safety cap. It should be replaced asap or I'm sure customers will switch to a new brand. Great product....can't get it out of bottle."

Ski Nose June 7, 2016

Afrin NoDrip Severe Congestion (oxymetazoline): "Amazing relief!"

t1112 May 28, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "The safety cap is very difficult to open. Tried for a half hour. Finally got it open...don't push down too hard!"

Ryan B April 8, 2016