User Reviews for Oxymetazoline nasal to treat Nasal Congestion

Also known as: Afrin, Afrin Original, Afrin Sinus, Zicam Sinus Relief, Mucinex Sinus-Max Full Force, Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief, Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray, Dristan 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Vicks QlearQuil 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Moisturizing Spray, Afrin NoDrip Sinus, Genasal, Nostrilla, 12 Hour Nasal, Four-Way Nasal Spray, Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant UltraFine Mist, Vicks Sinex Moisturizing 12-Hour Decongestant UltraFine Mist, Mucinex Sinus-Max Moisture Smart, Nostrilla 12 Hour, Todays Health Nasal Relief Extra Moisturizing, Afrin Severe Congestion, Afrin NoDrip Original, Afrin NoDrip Severe Congestion, Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Spray, Vicks Sinex Severe Nasal Spray, Afrin NoDrip Allergy Sinus Afrin Allergy Sinus Nasal Spray Mucinex Sinus-Max Clear & Cool Allerest 12 Hour Nasal Spray Duramist Plus CVS Health Sinus Relief Duration …show all brand names

Oxymetazoline nasal has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 171 ratings for the treatment of Nasal Congestion. 35% of those users who reviewed Oxymetazoline nasal reported a positive effect, while 57% reported a negative effect.

Oxymetazoline nasal Rating Summary

4.5/10 average rating

Compare all 184 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Oxymetazoline nasal

Birdareawesome · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2021

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “I used Afrin years ago. I got a new bottle. I can't open it. I can't push that hard and turn the cap at the same time. I spent over a half an hour trying to open the cap. I even spent time looking up how to open it. My hand is red and hurting trying to open the cap. I have a blister on my hand trying to turn it so many times. Friction on my hands cause blisters. I'm more than disappointed.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2021

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “When you purchase a bottle of Afrin they should give you a free pair of Vice Grips to remove the cap. Afrin package designers have to take the prize as the "Worst Ever"”

Kidiot · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 1, 2021

“Neil-med SinuFrin is a lifesaver for me. I've been using 1 squirt in each nostril just before going to bed for many years. This is all I need to be able to easily breathe. There are only two reasons I stop for now. 1) Nasal passages are clear. (not very often) 2) Nasal passages few raw, the spray hurts, and I sneeze a lot. This happen at most once a year. My Doctor tells me I shouldn't use this, but the stuff he keep telling me to use doesn't work. My biggest concern and something I haven't been able to find out is what are the long term use issues with this type of spray?”

Jack Meoff · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 7, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Afrin is the best nasal spray I’ve ever used but it’s kinda hard to use it when a company continues to make the same dumbass bottle cap that nobody can open. I spent 30 minutes trying to get the cap open and it wouldn’t work and at that point my hand was pure red. So I decided to use the backside of a hammer to pry it until it finally came off. It’s retarded that Afrin hasn’t changed this and I personally want to say a whole heartedly stuff you to the genius that invented this bottle cap.”

Manoj February 27, 2020

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Your bottle design sucks. I used a knife a cutter to open the bottle. You should replace those people in your company who designed this. They must be really idiots and they have no clue of customer experience. Buying your bottle was the biggest mistake because it took me 2 hours to open it. How can you do this to your customers. It doesn't open and you have given pages of information on how to rotate. Grow up.”

Kwame November 27, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “I cannot believe I wasted money on this product that I couldn’t use because I could NOT get the bottle open, I come to the reviews for help on how to get it open and I see the SAME complaints, I have no idea why this company continues to make this same design for everyone to keep having the same issue!!! FIX THE DANG BOTTLE.”

pietrangele July 30, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “So sad that I have to read what the sheep have to say the same thing over and over again- they all cannot open the bottle- instead of talking about the medication they talk about the cap - monkey see monkey do. In this context - talking about the same thing over and over again- pathetic - it tells a lot about the people-- the medication is OK but gave me headaches and dizziness and high blood pressure if used more than usual.”

naryse March 10, 2011

“Hi guys, I was a very fit 54 year old male, until just last November 2010. I was diagnosed with severe chronic heart faliure, and my heart is operating at 25% and I have to use cpap at night when I sleep, as I apparently stop breathing at night. The short of it is that I unfortunately used this nasal spray every day for the last 3 years, and maybe 3-4 times a day. It would appear I have given myself this condition, by misusing this nasal spray. I had a chest xray 4 years ago, my lungs and heart were fine, and there has been no heart problems in my family. So the reason I have commented, is to warn others to use the nasal spray correctly and if the condition of conjestion persists, get off to a Doctor. Thankyou for your time.”

Anonymous May 28, 2011

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “I first found Afrin while in Vegas. I was super stuffed up, worse than ever before. I tried out the Severe Congestion version and it cleared me up almost instantly, it was awesome. This version has a Vicks type chemical which burns big time but only for a moment. The original formula is not like that but works well but not as quick, 5-10 minutes maximum. I have been taking it daily for a year and have had no issues. After reading these articles, I will consult with my doctor. The only side effect I have experienced is the same with every sinus spray, the rebound effect has made the symptoms a little bit worse. ”

Jeb · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 12, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Honestly Afrin the best nasal spray I have ever used. If it wasn't for feeling like rubbish from the other aspects of having a cold, I wouldn't even notice I had one. This thing packs a punch and when combined with some kind of syrup like a dayquil , you're good to go. I would recommend using a saline spray or rinse beforehand so the Afrin can really get in there, this makes it more effective in my experience.”

FedUpDoc March 7, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “After many long frustrating attempts by many people to open the blasted bottle, I read another review that said to turn it upside down and push with all your might, so I turned it upside down, pushed the cap *into* the neck of the bottle and squeezed the bottle so hard I worried it might burst, and it *Finally* opened. Then I was afraid to close it, worried that I wouldn't be able to reproduce the miraculous feat of opening it. This is NOT a 'childproof' cap. This IS the medicine bottle equivelence of Fort Knox. The effort wasted on trying to get it open is unreasonable. Shame on Bayer. As a physician, I used to recommend Afrin for nasal congestion. Not anymore.”

Kandi Moon February 21, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “The company behind Afrin should be ashamed of themselves for the design of the child proof cap that they put on the bottle. After a couple of uses, the cap absolutely will not come off. Is it that you want us to purchase another bottle? Do something about that cap and stop ripping people off!!!”

Throwawayname December 13, 2016

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “This medicine should be ILLEGAL. It is extremely adicting and within only about 2 days of taking it your symptoms will be 5 times worse. I have been unable to breathe without this medication for around 4 years now. Tried many times to get off it but with no luck. I'm simply convinced that it has damaged my sinuses beyond repair. I'm begging you DO NOT take this. It may work wonders at first but within a day your nose will be completely blocked again and you will have to rely on the medicine again. It's a vicious circle.”

VG September 18, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “I am laughing reading the frustration with the cap. I use Afrin, the best nasal decongestant period, every time I cannot breath to sleep. When the medicine wears off the nose seems more congested than when I started. Now, I learned to only use Afrin in only one nostril. When it wears off in 10-12 hours, I spray the same nostril again. When the cold is gone the other nostril clears up. Then I stop using Afrin and about a day later the medicated nostril clears up too.”

Jimmy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 1, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “First of all I've been using Afrin for 7 years it works yes and I have the most severe sinus pressure you can think of I'm told that I should get off of it but there's no other product that opens my sinuses like Afrin it definitely doesn't last for 12 hours though. I've always had abnormally strong hands because I lift granite and body build so the cap has never given me problems all I can say to everyone else is strengthen your hands”

Kara · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “I have horrible sinus pain after crying because my nose is so terribly clogged and since I have rather severe depression and anxiety issues, I found myself with a clogged nose and a horrible sinus headache about 15 minutes ago. I dug out some old Afrin ( obviously purchased before bottle change because I opened it fine) and I was instantly relieved of my after crying symptoms. But even more than that, all the reviews on here about how none of y’all could get the bottle open even gave me something to laugh about. Thank you Afrin.”

Anonymous January 24, 2020

Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray (oxymetazoline): “If you have high blood pressure, DO NOT use this nasal spray! I've had the flu, and bought this thinking it would help me breathe. Started feeling really bad after using, checked bp - 150/93! I'm already on bp meds - I don't need help making it worse. This is going in the trash. AVOID!!!”

angry user · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Afrin bottle is absolutely rubbish! I shouldn’t have to make my hand bleed and not be able to breath just to open a stupid bottle! I only used the product maybe three times and it practically locks. Five or so YouTube videos later and I still haven’t opened it. Never buying Afrin again!”

Jo · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 11, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “I used to love this product, but it's impossible to use with the new lids. Even if I didn't have arthritis in my hands, I'd never be able to pry this lid off. I will sadly have to throw it away and resort to a store brand with a lid I can hopefully open so I can actually use the product. Disappointed in this change.”

yar · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Have used afrin in the past and it has always worked great. Completely cleared up congestion in 10 minutes. The problem is the rebound congestion 12 hours later. This time I've used for 3 straight days and the rebound is bad. Will try something different next time.”

Bobby_Co March 30, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Picture this. You have a new bottle of Afrin in the medicine cabinet. It's 2:00 AM and you have a stuffy nose. You wake up and go open the Afrin package to find that it is VERY tightly sealed. So, you use some nearby scissors to cut the tape and instead you cut yourself. After a few minutes and some blood on your hands you manage to get the tape off only to find a complex system for the nozzle of the bottle. Still half asleep you try and get it to work but fail. You miss the old Vicks spray that had very simple nozzle, throw-away the Afrin and then vow to yourself to remember the name "Afrin" so that you never by the product again. You wonder if a lawyer was responsible for human factors design for Afrin, then try to go back to sleep”

Anonymous March 2, 2012

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “I get recurrent sinus infections and oral medications make me too jittery. This nasal spray within a few minutes has me breathing through my nose again and helps relieve the pressure in my sinuses. My only complaint is the horrible burning and stinging felt when sprayed. Its worth it though.”

Louie May 1, 2020

Afrin Sinus (oxymetazoline): “In my experience Afrin or similar off brand nasal sprays smell like mildew after temperature changing in the bottle. Getting warm and cold, warm and cold, mostly from being in your pocket or in your vehicle. It’s essentially stagnant water that grows bacteria, hence the mildew smell.”

Denise1973 January 5, 2017

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Seriously this product packaging is completely defective. Exhausted (and of course can't breathe) after hours of three people trying to get the new childproof cap off. Apparently the cap is vacuum locked on and you have to turn the bottle upside down and apply all your weight on it and turn and if you're lucky it will release and open. Absolutely a defective design.”

Jelenator79 September 23, 2011

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline): “Very effective in enabling me to breathe through my nose. But is very easy to get hooked on this spray. I went for 30 months using this medication. Had to quit cold turkey. Took me almost 2 weeks to get my nasal passages back. Very effective, but beware: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE MORE THAN FOR THE RECOMMENDED PERIOD OF TIME.”

jG · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “NEVER NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I repeat NEVER. This medication put me in a worse position than I was before. I decided to take this because all of the pills weren’t working, but it does not help. Afrin says to put 2 squirts in each nostril every 10-12 hours. However, when doing that, it creates a horrible BURNING sensation in your nose and specifically your throat that lasts for hours. If you want to be congested and burning for hours, take this.”

Kiya September 6, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “My doctor recommended this product. I tried for hours to get the cap off. Yes, I understand the directions and have plenty of experience removing childproof caps. I pressed and turned and get only clicks. I pressed soft, hard, and in between. I pressed hard enough to collapse the neck of the bottle and turned so hard it distorted the bottle. I looked on the internet and found hundreds of postings about Afrin with these adult-proof caps, going back 3 years. I finally went to CVS and bought CVS brand of the same medication in a bottle that opened normally. I am returning my bottle of Afrin to the store where I bought it. I have no opinion about Afrin brand as it is inaccessible.”

Compufxr · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): “Afrin really needs to change the caps on their nasal spray. I am in a conference room with at least a dozen people and no one could get this bottle open. We tried everything recommended and all we get is that dreadful click. Finally after over a half hour I finally managed to get it open. I don't know what did it but it is fine now. Terrible design and beyond frustrating. I should have videoed the whole process so that people could laugh at us trying to open this stupid bottle.”