User Reviews for Oxymetazoline nasal to treat Nasal Congestion

Also known as: 12 Hour Nasal, Afrin, Afrin No Drip Sinus, Allerest 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Dristan 12-Hour, Duramist Plus, Duration, Mucinex Full Force, Mucinex Moisture Smart, Nasal Mist, Neo-Synephrine 12 Hour, Nostrilla, NRS Nasal, Sinarest Nasal, Sinex Long-Acting, Sudafed OM Sinus Cold, Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief, Zicam Sinus Relief

Oxymetazoline Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 208 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Oxymetazoline

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Can't open the bottle!"

newzee (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2019

Afrin Original (oxymetazoline): "This product is a God send. I’ve tried almost all decongestant oral tablets and sprays including expensive mometasone nasal spray but couldn’t get relief I needed. The very first time I used it, it unclogged my nasal congestion. What a relief! I can breathe very well. This is gonna be the only product I’ll be using from now on for occasional episodes of nasal congestion if ever I would need it at all cause I just recently had sinus surgery. This was prescribed by my surgeon doctor and it just works perfectly."

djmanalang (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "The company behind Afrin should be ashamed of themselves for the design of the child proof cap that they put on the bottle. After a couple of uses, the cap absolutely will not come off. Is it that you want us to purchase another bottle? Do something about that cap and stop ripping people off!!!"

Kandi Moon February 21, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "This cap will not come off according to the directions! 2 pliers and metal cutters later...and a bloody hand....had the bottle open. Won’t buy the product again"

Hate the cap February 19, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Afrin really needs to change the caps on their nasal spray. I am in a conference room with at least a dozen people and no one could get this bottle open. We tried everything recommended and all we get is that dreadful click. Finally after over a half hour I finally managed to get it open. I don't know what did it but it is fine now. Terrible design and beyond frustrating. I should have videoed the whole process so that people could laugh at us trying to open this stupid bottle."

Compufxr (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Stupid child proof cap won’t come off"

H February 8, 2019

Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief (oxymetazoline): "Well, my second time using this med. First time it literally worked in 2 days (a little over 1 day). This time around it's working great, the only issue is my nose is extremely dry and burning but only my left nostril. Other than that this med works a miracle."

GodivaSmooth (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Whoever designed the bottle cap has no idea. Why l would they make it soo hard to open???"

Anonymous January 28, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Hey, Afrin. Maybe check your products before you send them out? The product I bought I guess is defective because it will NOT open. Obviously, push down and turn counterclockwise- easy enough? Apparently not for Afrin to figure out. I’ve tried getting the nasal spray to open, and the other 2 members of my household have tried as well. First time and last time buying anything from this brand. Now I have to take an extra trip to the store while sick and in the aftermath of a blizzard. Ridiculously frustrating."

Ash January 21, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Purchased on the blind, only to read that I should not take it for more than three days. OK, fine, but what do you do with the remaining spray? At any rate, it worked like a placebo, no relief whatsoever. Want to pay for nothing? Rush out and stock up."

HERVE (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Aside from all the complaints of the cap I'm reading, (which I had no problem removing), I would strongly suggest anyone who suffers from anxiety to steer clear of this medicine. It worked great at "unstuffing" my nose, but it gave me horrible anxiety and jitters, which my doctor never warned me about the possibility of this happening, knowing I have panic and anxiety disorder! Not to mention it dried everything up, not just my nose, but my mouth, my throat, and it even felt like my lungs were dry! I'm sitting here waiting for the 12 hours to be up, and hopefully all the misery will go away. I wont use it again and the bottle I bought will be going in the trash! I'll stick to my saline nasal spray and Fluticasone!"

Hezz806 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing (oxymetazoline): "I suffer from severe nasal/sinus congestion. This happens every night and I am unable to get to sleep even if I have one nostril open. This is the only product I have found that works on a consistently on a daily basis and I only use it at night. I consulted with an ENT Dr. and he gave me his approval as long as it was used only once per day."

Nanabear (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "The cap on the bottle is ridiculous. Can't get it off !!! Finally got it off after 15 minutes. Ended up using pliers.Also the spray gave me a horrendous headache and did very little for congestion. I will never waste my money on this product again!!!"

Harveymatt November 17, 2018

"Absolutley horrible! After my boyfriend took the cap off ( took forever) I sprayed it in my nose and now I'm in tears by the pain I'm feeling. My nose and throat are on fire! The medication caused me to throw up. Horrible, will never buy again! "

Dd (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Product may be great but it's worthless if you can't open the bottle to use it. Horrific container design. Based on countless reviews and videos, this should have prompted product changes by now. Generic brand works just as we'll and doesn't waste valuable life trying to open the cap."

PCM (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "NEVER NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I repeat NEVER. This medication put me in a worse position than I was before. I decided to take this because all of the pills weren’t working, but it does not help. Afrin says to put 2 squirts in each nostril every 10-12 hours. However, when doing that, it creates a horrible BURNING sensation in your nose and specifically your throat that lasts for hours. If you want to be congested and burning for hours, take this."

jG (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "I am laughing reading the frustration with the cap. I use Afrin, the best nasal decongestant period, every time I cannot breath to sleep. When the medicine wears off the nose seems more congested than when I started. Now, I learned to only use Afrin in only one nostril. When it wears off in 10-12 hours, I spray the same nostril again. When the cold is gone the other nostril clears up. Then I stop using Afrin and about a day later the medicated nostril clears up too."

VG September 18, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "I have been using Afrin Original nose spray for many years. It's the only one I will use. I have never had a problem getting the cap off until recently. I now, for the life of me, can not get it open. I have two that won't open. The cap will not come off. Remember folks, I have been using this product for years and love it. I have never had a problem before. BUT something has changed with the cap that has made it impossible to get open. And, its not just the plastic wraper around the top. I am glad to hear some people on this review have had the same problem so I know its not just me. I hope Afrin folks are reading these comments and can come up with a solution. I would give this a rating of 10 if only I could still use it..."

unhappy user (taken for 10 years or more) September 16, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Rate the medicine? Wouldn't know how it works, because the CAP is like a prank! Doesn't afrin know that the only time you get afrin is when you really need it? But I can wait my 4 hour drive till I get to find some pliers. I've lost the battle, but not the war."

DP (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "My doctor recommended this product. I tried for hours to get the cap off. Yes, I understand the directions and have plenty of experience removing childproof caps. I pressed and turned and get only clicks. I pressed soft, hard, and in between. I pressed hard enough to collapse the neck of the bottle and turned so hard it distorted the bottle. I looked on the internet and found hundreds of postings about Afrin with these adult-proof caps, going back 3 years. I finally went to CVS and bought CVS brand of the same medication in a bottle that opened normally. I am returning my bottle of Afrin to the store where I bought it. I have no opinion about Afrin brand as it is inaccessible."

Kiya September 6, 2018

Nostrilla (oxymetazoline): "First they change the formula so it burns, then they make the bottle cap impossible to open. My devotion to this effective product is being sorely tested. I still can't get the bottle open."

Judge July 1, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "My weak little baby hands had no issue getting the cap off. It took one second. Ya’ll must need some serious help on a regular basis if you can’t handle this easy to remove cap. I used this stuff for the first time last night and it is amazing! I could not breath AT ALL, and within a minute I could breath clearly like nothing was wrong. It REALLY works! It’s a fantastic product and I regret not using it for past common cold congestion issues while trying to sleep. Read the warnings and the side effects. Don’t abuse the drug. As they state on the directions you should not need it more than 3 days. If you have prolonged sinus issues, maybe try something else for regular use so you don’t cause harm. Thanks Afrin!"

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Be careful when you use it. I tried using the product right before sleeping to breathe easier at night and it caused me a terrible insomnia both nights I used it. It also caused an increase discharge out of my sinuses. I guess it might have been a good experience if I used it for daytime."

Chicago guy (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "This does not work at all. Gives me maybe two minutes of relief then I’m fully congested again. Do not buy this product. The $2 WinCo brand works better for me and it’s a third of the price. I will never buy this again."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

Afrin (oxymetazoline): "Child proof top is absolutely ridiculous. It’s unopenable... I’m returning it to the store and buying a different product."

Former Afrin User June 11, 2018