User Reviews for Afrin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Afrin.

Nasal Congestion
4.3

Summary of Afrin reviews 4.3 43 reviews

Reviews for Afrin

For Nasal Congestion "Here's how Bayer can solve the cap "problem": say "squeeze" instead of "push". Saying "push" is confusing when the spray mechanism allows for vertical movement of the cap, because I'm sure that, like me, you all tried pushing it down and then twisting. No. Don't. Just squeeze the red bit and then twist. It comes off immediately. While this is slightly confusing, I figured it out in about, I dunno, 15 seconds? Step 1 when something isn't working: try something else. With that out of the way, here's why this product really sucks: even a single use as directed will have you suffering INTENSE rebound congestion after 10-12 hours and you will be forced to either spray another dose or suffer several hours of torment. Absolute garbage product."

Albert Einstein December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "I bought two of these because there were two of us in the household who had bad colds. We could not get the caps off. And, NO, we are not morons. We don't struggle with child-proof caps in general. We did follow the instructions. We also looked online and tried various suggestions. When you push down on the cap, the plastic neck gives way and recedes into the bottle. We even tried pliers to get a better grip. It didn't work. The old style bottled worked, but not the new ones. So, don't waste your money!"

Nebit (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "I love that the amount of negative reviews are because people don't know how to get the cap off lol. It's really not that hard people... afrin is wonderful. Sincerely, The person who knows how to take a child proof cap off."

Anonymous September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Myself and one other person tried to get the cap off. I even watched a video online on how to do it. No luck. I ended up cutting the cap off with a knife - luckily I did not slice my hand. What on earth made them think that these bottles needed a child (and adult) proof cap in the first place. Unbelievable. In the future, I will look for any brand other than Afrin."

DaveZ September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "I wasted almost $16 on two spray bottles of Afrin because of the horrible safety cap. It is not a child-resistant cap. It is a Fort Knox style security system. In the end, in desperation to breath without driving back to the drugstore, I cut the top off one of the bottles with a skill saw. Once I got to the Afrin, it worked good enough -- but that took fifteen minutes of frustration. I will never, ever buy this product again because of the horrible packaging. The cap is more than poorly designed -- it's an insult to the consumer. Now that I can breathe again, I'm on my way back to Walgreen's for a refund and to buy another brand of nasal decongestant."

Jack T. (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion " Afrin is great and it works in seconds. Just don't use it more than 3 days in a row or you'll be more stuffed up than you were before you started."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "A friend of mine mentioned that this product will cost dependency. Even with that in mind my symptoms still led me to purchase it nonetheless. The good news is I'm not addicted to it nor dependent upon it, because I can't open it. This is the first and last time I will buy this product, whether they change the cap mechanism or not."

Old factory (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Impossible to open. Don't buy it."

Afrin is stupid (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "I'm really surprised at how many people complain about the cap. I bought 2 bottle (because my whole family uses it) and got the tape and red cap off without a hitch. I just followed the picture on the side of the box....any way I love this product. Good luck everyone!"

Ashleymj April 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Picture this. You have a new bottle of Afrin in the medicine cabinet. It's 2:00 AM and you have a stuffy nose. You wake up and go open the Afrin package to find that it is VERY tightly sealed. So, you use some nearby scissors to cut the tape and instead you cut yourself. After a few minutes and some blood on your hands you manage to get the tape off only to find a complex system for the nozzle of the bottle. Still half asleep you try and get it to work but fail. You miss the old Vicks spray that had very simple nozzle, throw-away the Afrin and then vow to yourself to remember the name "Afrin" so that you never by the product again. You wonder if a lawyer was responsible for human factors design for Afrin, then try to go back to sleep"

Bobby_Co March 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Afrin is easy to use and effective, it helps me breath again. All you have to do to open it is push and turn, I do not understand why these people think it is hard to open."

Anonymous March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "After many long frustrating attempts by many people to open the blasted bottle, I read another review that said to turn it upside down and push with all your might, so I turned it upside down, pushed the cap *into* the neck of the bottle and squeezed the bottle so hard I worried it might burst, and it *Finally* opened. Then I was afraid to close it, worried that I wouldn't be able to reproduce the miraculous feat of opening it. This is NOT a 'childproof' cap. This IS the medicine bottle equivelence of Fort Knox. The effort wasted on trying to get it open is unreasonable. Shame on Bayer. As a physician, I used to recommend Afrin for nasal congestion. Not anymore."

FedUpDoc March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Take a pair of pliers after you purchase a new bottle and crack the red casing off. Clear top underneath will open and you will be able to breathe again."

Capbuster February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Awful experience!! Couldn't get the cap off so I spent 30 minutes trying to get it off. After 30 mins and a bloody cut up thumb I finally just grabbed my old bottle of nostrilla (which I would have much rather bought but couldn't find any at the store. For anyone reading this nostrilla is a 10/10 for me!!) Punctured a whole in the afrin bottle and squeezed the stuff into the nostrilla bottle... so nostrilla you the real MVP!!"

Anonymous February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Just like everyone else, can't get the cap off. Ridiculous. We'll see if it clears me up. I will probably go get something else since this just seems like a mess"

sara12345678980 February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "DO NOT EVER BUY AFRIN NASAL SPRAY. Until Bayer gets themselves together and makes a cap that actually comes off, do not waste your time and money with this product."

Anonymous February 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "The cap is hella hard to get off smh. But! This stuff isn't total rubbish. It actually works very well."

saucyj_4life February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "I guess Bayer dosen't give a damn about its consumers. There still selling the afrin with the bottle that can't be opened."

Teddy Beara February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "This company should be sued they sell nasal spray that you can't even open to use! Waste of money. My husband is ridiculous enough to buy this nasal spray again when we knew we always have a hard time opening the damn thing. And the nasal spray itself isn't as effective it doesn't spray it squirts lots of liquid when you give it a quick squeeze. Terrible"

Tiger645699 January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Medication works great for nasal congestion. Now, trying to take off the lid is a different story, I almost returned it. After 3 mins a fellow coworker finally got the lid off. I understand child proofing but, this is ridiculous!!"

Marie/7 January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Seriously this product packaging is completely defective. Exhausted (and of course can't breathe) after hours of three people trying to get the new childproof cap off. Apparently the cap is vacuum locked on and you have to turn the bottle upside down and apply all your weight on it and turn and if you're lucky it will release and open. Absolutely a defective design."

Denise1973 January 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Shameful!! You sell medication that can't be used because Bayer chose to save money using a defective bottle that won't open. Clearly no quality control or concern for consumers--even if they are strong healthy drilling rig operators."

Jcamillegray January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "What have they done?! They used a very cheap manufactured plastic bottle which can't be opened and used until drill a hole into it which leads to waste half the liquid, secondly its use makes your congestion worst completely blocked after its temorary effect is gone, you end up having no choice but become an addicted to its use.. never recommend it to anyone"

Camerone December 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "Twice now - more fool me - I have bought the original nasal spray and had the top take everything off when I opened it, rendering the product USELESS. It's annoying you can't rely on what was once a strong brand."

OConnellNYC December 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Congestion "I can't open this bottle and will probably have to return it. It is so frustrating. It looks like many people are having this problem with the Afrin childproof caps."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016