User Reviews for Afrin

Nasal Congestion
3.2

Reviews for Afrin

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2021

For Nasal Congestion: “When you purchase a bottle of Afrin they should give you a free pair of Vice Grips to remove the cap. Afrin package designers have to take the prize as the "Worst Ever"”

Unhappy Camper · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2021

For Nasal Congestion: “I would not wish Afrin upon my worst enemy. My nasal cavity burns horribly and my throat is sore and stingy. I’ve tried saline spray, gargling water, blowing my nose and taking Advil with no avail. I was at one point on the verge of tears.”

wrfine · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2020

For Nasal Congestion: “Best nasal opener I have used and continue to use. Only once a week maybe but when I need it works great and fast”

Jack Meoff · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 7, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “Afrin is the best nasal spray I’ve ever used but it’s kinda hard to use it when a company continues to make the same dumbass bottle cap that nobody can open. I spent 30 minutes trying to get the cap open and it wouldn’t work and at that point my hand was pure red. So I decided to use the backside of a hammer to pry it until it finally came off. It’s retarded that Afrin hasn’t changed this and I personally want to say a whole heartedly stuff you to the genius that invented this bottle cap.”

Manoj February 27, 2020

For Nasal Congestion: “Your bottle design sucks. I used a knife a cutter to open the bottle. You should replace those people in your company who designed this. They must be really idiots and they have no clue of customer experience. Buying your bottle was the biggest mistake because it took me 2 hours to open it. How can you do this to your customers. It doesn't open and you have given pages of information on how to rotate. Grow up.”

Kwame November 27, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I cannot believe I wasted money on this product that I couldn’t use because I could NOT get the bottle open, I come to the reviews for help on how to get it open and I see the SAME complaints, I have no idea why this company continues to make this same design for everyone to keep having the same issue!!! FIX THE DANG BOTTLE.”

pietrangele July 30, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “So sad that I have to read what the sheep have to say the same thing over and over again- they all cannot open the bottle- instead of talking about the medication they talk about the cap - monkey see monkey do. In this context - talking about the same thing over and over again- pathetic - it tells a lot about the people-- the medication is OK but gave me headaches and dizziness and high blood pressure if used more than usual.”

Anonymous May 28, 2011

For Nasal Congestion: “I first found Afrin while in Vegas. I was super stuffed up, worse than ever before. I tried out the Severe Congestion version and it cleared me up almost instantly, it was awesome. This version has a Vicks type chemical which burns big time but only for a moment. The original formula is not like that but works well but not as quick, 5-10 minutes maximum. I have been taking it daily for a year and have had no issues. After reading these articles, I will consult with my doctor. The only side effect I have experienced is the same with every sinus spray, the rebound effect has made the symptoms a little bit worse. ”

Jeb · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 12, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “Honestly Afrin the best nasal spray I have ever used. If it wasn't for feeling like rubbish from the other aspects of having a cold, I wouldn't even notice I had one. This thing packs a punch and when combined with some kind of syrup like a dayquil , you're good to go. I would recommend using a saline spray or rinse beforehand so the Afrin can really get in there, this makes it more effective in my experience.”

Jimmy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 1, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “First of all I've been using Afrin for 7 years it works yes and I have the most severe sinus pressure you can think of I'm told that I should get off of it but there's no other product that opens my sinuses like Afrin it definitely doesn't last for 12 hours though. I've always had abnormally strong hands because I lift granite and body build so the cap has never given me problems all I can say to everyone else is strengthen your hands”

Kandi Moon February 21, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “The company behind Afrin should be ashamed of themselves for the design of the child proof cap that they put on the bottle. After a couple of uses, the cap absolutely will not come off. Is it that you want us to purchase another bottle? Do something about that cap and stop ripping people off!!!”

FedUpDoc March 7, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: “After many long frustrating attempts by many people to open the blasted bottle, I read another review that said to turn it upside down and push with all your might, so I turned it upside down, pushed the cap *into* the neck of the bottle and squeezed the bottle so hard I worried it might burst, and it *Finally* opened. Then I was afraid to close it, worried that I wouldn't be able to reproduce the miraculous feat of opening it. This is NOT a 'childproof' cap. This IS the medicine bottle equivelence of Fort Knox. The effort wasted on trying to get it open is unreasonable. Shame on Bayer. As a physician, I used to recommend Afrin for nasal congestion. Not anymore.”

VG September 18, 2018

For Nasal Congestion: “I am laughing reading the frustration with the cap. I use Afrin, the best nasal decongestant period, every time I cannot breath to sleep. When the medicine wears off the nose seems more congested than when I started. Now, I learned to only use Afrin in only one nostril. When it wears off in 10-12 hours, I spray the same nostril again. When the cold is gone the other nostril clears up. Then I stop using Afrin and about a day later the medicated nostril clears up too.”

yar · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

For Nasal Congestion: “Have used afrin in the past and it has always worked great. Completely cleared up congestion in 10 minutes. The problem is the rebound congestion 12 hours later. This time I've used for 3 straight days and the rebound is bad. Will try something different next time.”

Kara · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I have horrible sinus pain after crying because my nose is so terribly clogged and since I have rather severe depression and anxiety issues, I found myself with a clogged nose and a horrible sinus headache about 15 minutes ago. I dug out some old Afrin ( obviously purchased before bottle change because I opened it fine) and I was instantly relieved of my after crying symptoms. But even more than that, all the reviews on here about how none of y’all could get the bottle open even gave me something to laugh about. Thank you Afrin.”

Throwawayname December 13, 2016

For Nasal Congestion: “This medicine should be ILLEGAL. It is extremely adicting and within only about 2 days of taking it your symptoms will be 5 times worse. I have been unable to breathe without this medication for around 4 years now. Tried many times to get off it but with no luck. I'm simply convinced that it has damaged my sinuses beyond repair. I'm begging you DO NOT take this. It may work wonders at first but within a day your nose will be completely blocked again and you will have to rely on the medicine again. It's a vicious circle.”

angry user · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “Afrin bottle is absolutely rubbish! I shouldn’t have to make my hand bleed and not be able to breath just to open a stupid bottle! I only used the product maybe three times and it practically locks. Five or so YouTube videos later and I still haven’t opened it. Never buying Afrin again!”

Jo · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 11, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I used to love this product, but it's impossible to use with the new lids. Even if I didn't have arthritis in my hands, I'd never be able to pry this lid off. I will sadly have to throw it away and resort to a store brand with a lid I can hopefully open so I can actually use the product. Disappointed in this change.”

Bobby_Co March 30, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: “Picture this. You have a new bottle of Afrin in the medicine cabinet. It's 2:00 AM and you have a stuffy nose. You wake up and go open the Afrin package to find that it is VERY tightly sealed. So, you use some nearby scissors to cut the tape and instead you cut yourself. After a few minutes and some blood on your hands you manage to get the tape off only to find a complex system for the nozzle of the bottle. Still half asleep you try and get it to work but fail. You miss the old Vicks spray that had very simple nozzle, throw-away the Afrin and then vow to yourself to remember the name "Afrin" so that you never by the product again. You wonder if a lawyer was responsible for human factors design for Afrin, then try to go back to sleep”

Anonymous March 2, 2012

For Nasal Congestion: “I get recurrent sinus infections and oral medications make me too jittery. This nasal spray within a few minutes has me breathing through my nose again and helps relieve the pressure in my sinuses. My only complaint is the horrible burning and stinging felt when sprayed. Its worth it though.”

Denise1973 January 5, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: “Seriously this product packaging is completely defective. Exhausted (and of course can't breathe) after hours of three people trying to get the new childproof cap off. Apparently the cap is vacuum locked on and you have to turn the bottle upside down and apply all your weight on it and turn and if you're lucky it will release and open. Absolutely a defective design.”

jG · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2018

For Nasal Congestion: “NEVER NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I repeat NEVER. This medication put me in a worse position than I was before. I decided to take this because all of the pills weren’t working, but it does not help. Afrin says to put 2 squirts in each nostril every 10-12 hours. However, when doing that, it creates a horrible BURNING sensation in your nose and specifically your throat that lasts for hours. If you want to be congested and burning for hours, take this.”

Compufxr · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “Afrin really needs to change the caps on their nasal spray. I am in a conference room with at least a dozen people and no one could get this bottle open. We tried everything recommended and all we get is that dreadful click. Finally after over a half hour I finally managed to get it open. I don't know what did it but it is fine now. Terrible design and beyond frustrating. I should have videoed the whole process so that people could laugh at us trying to open this stupid bottle.”

Kiya September 6, 2018

For Nasal Congestion: “My doctor recommended this product. I tried for hours to get the cap off. Yes, I understand the directions and have plenty of experience removing childproof caps. I pressed and turned and get only clicks. I pressed soft, hard, and in between. I pressed hard enough to collapse the neck of the bottle and turned so hard it distorted the bottle. I looked on the internet and found hundreds of postings about Afrin with these adult-proof caps, going back 3 years. I finally went to CVS and bought CVS brand of the same medication in a bottle that opened normally. I am returning my bottle of Afrin to the store where I bought it. I have no opinion about Afrin brand as it is inaccessible.”

Coolsville · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I have seen some pretty horrible designs for packaging, but this has got to be the worst. I think the intentionally want people to buy their medicine and then be unable to open it and be forced to go through the mental quandary of do you drive back and return it for five bucks or do you just throw it in the trash and scream at the heavens. Who designed the cap for this bottle. The fact that they haven't been sued yet is a miracle.”

MPH July 9, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I cannot wait for the day I can open this stupid cap for the Afrin I’ve been trying for the past day, watch many YouTube videos, and 8 family members have tried to get into the bottle.Never buying this product again after this ongoing experience. I have lost this battle but I’ll win this war”

Anonymous July 25, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I was severely congested due a head cold. I bought a bottle of Afrin and could NOT open it! All I heard was clicks and I followed the instructions for opening it. After my hand was hurting immensely trying to open the bottle, I finally got the idea to get a fingernail clipper and put a small cut in the red lid. I was FINALLY able to get it open. The product works --if you can get the top off. No more Afrin because of the horrible packaging.”

Hezz806 · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2018

For Nasal Congestion: “Aside from all the complaints of the cap I'm reading, (which I had no problem removing), I would strongly suggest anyone who suffers from anxiety to steer clear of this medicine. It worked great at "unstuffing" my nose, but it gave me horrible anxiety and jitters, which my doctor never warned me about the possibility of this happening, knowing I have panic and anxiety disorder! Not to mention it dried everything up, not just my nose, but my mouth, my throat, and it even felt like my lungs were dry! I'm sitting here waiting for the 12 hours to be up, and hopefully all the misery will go away. I wont use it again and the bottle I bought will be going in the trash! I'll stick to my saline nasal spray and Fluticasone!”