User Reviews for Afrin

Nasal Congestion
3.9

Summary of Afrin reviews 3.9 65 reviews

Reviews for Afrin

For Nasal Congestion "NEVER NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I repeat NEVER. This medication put me in a worse position than I was before. I decided to take this because all of the pills weren’t working, but it does not help. Afrin says to put 2 squirts in each nostril every 10-12 hours. However, when doing that, it creates a horrible BURNING sensation in your nose and specifically your throat that lasts for hours. If you want to be congested and burning for hours, take this."

jG (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "I am laughing reading the frustration with the cap. I use Afrin, the best nasal decongestant period, every time I cannot breath to sleep. When the medicine wears off the nose seems more congested than when I started. Now, I learned to only use Afrin in only one nostril. When it wears off in 10-12 hours, I spray the same nostril again. When the cold is gone the other nostril clears up. Then I stop using Afrin and about a day later the medicated nostril clears up too."

VG September 18, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "I have been using Afrin Original nose spray for many years. It's the only one I will use. I have never had a problem getting the cap off until recently. I now, for the life of me, can not get it open. I have two that won't open. The cap will not come off. Remember folks, I have been using this product for years and love it. I have never had a problem before. BUT something has changed with the cap that has made it impossible to get open. And, its not just the plastic wraper around the top. I am glad to hear some people on this review have had the same problem so I know its not just me. I hope Afrin folks are reading these comments and can come up with a solution. I would give this a rating of 10 if only I could still use it..."

unhappy user (taken for 10 years or more) September 16, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Rate the medicine? Wouldn't know how it works, because the CAP is like a prank! Doesn't afrin know that the only time you get afrin is when you really need it? But I can wait my 4 hour drive till I get to find some pliers. I've lost the battle, but not the war."

DP (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "My doctor recommended this product. I tried for hours to get the cap off. Yes, I understand the directions and have plenty of experience removing childproof caps. I pressed and turned and get only clicks. I pressed soft, hard, and in between. I pressed hard enough to collapse the neck of the bottle and turned so hard it distorted the bottle. I looked on the internet and found hundreds of postings about Afrin with these adult-proof caps, going back 3 years. I finally went to CVS and bought CVS brand of the same medication in a bottle that opened normally. I am returning my bottle of Afrin to the store where I bought it. I have no opinion about Afrin brand as it is inaccessible."

Kiya September 6, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "My weak little baby hands had no issue getting the cap off. It took one second. Ya’ll must need some serious help on a regular basis if you can’t handle this easy to remove cap. I used this stuff for the first time last night and it is amazing! I could not breath AT ALL, and within a minute I could breath clearly like nothing was wrong. It REALLY works! It’s a fantastic product and I regret not using it for past common cold congestion issues while trying to sleep. Read the warnings and the side effects. Don’t abuse the drug. As they state on the directions you should not need it more than 3 days. If you have prolonged sinus issues, maybe try something else for regular use so you don’t cause harm. Thanks Afrin!"

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Be careful when you use it. I tried using the product right before sleeping to breathe easier at night and it caused me a terrible insomnia both nights I used it. It also caused an increase discharge out of my sinuses. I guess it might have been a good experience if I used it for daytime."

Chicago guy (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "This does not work at all. Gives me maybe two minutes of relief then I’m fully congested again. Do not buy this product. The $2 WinCo brand works better for me and it’s a third of the price. I will never buy this again."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Child proof top is absolutely ridiculous. It’s unopenable... I’m returning it to the store and buying a different product."

Former Afrin User June 11, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "I've NEVER had the problem of getting a "child proof cap" off. It WAS fine...and now will not come off, no matter what I do. Will definitely buy a different brand from now on. This is the type of experience, and FRUSTRATION, that one does NOT FORGET!"

raquela (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Wow, seriously, people, seriously?!!!! I got the darn cap off in 2 VERY EASY SECONDS. The seal "tape" has perforations, just tear and it comes off quickly. Then squeeze and turn the red cap. SIMPLE!!!!"

KAB628 (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "I forgot about my last experience with the darn cap when I bought this today because it had been quite awhile ago. Just took about 20 minutes practically tearing my fingers up trying to get the cap off. Finally picked up heavy duty pet nail clippers and cut through the side of the red cap to get to the spray. Ridiculous! I will forever remember not to buy this product again. The product works IF you can get to it."

Pj (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "So I had a cold and my nose was congested, I bought afrin. While it helped me breathe, it also caused me a terrible rebound congestion (like a physical addiction). After the cold was over, I still needed to use Afrin in order to breathe. It also somehow causing me to have more nasal discharge. I had to ask someone to send me different nose spray/drops from Russia. I used that and there was less nose discharge and I didn’t have to use it as much. Unfortunately, I ran out of it two days ago, and had to buy afrin again, and AGAIN my nose is soooo runny, and so congested after an hour of using afrin. I have contacted Afrin, the customer service is extremely rude. I mean this honestly ruined my life. Imagine needing to use afrin in order to breathe? Don’t get it!"

Slimlady (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Afrin works fairly well when needed for congestion....but cap is impossible to remove easily....period! I may change products due to this issue...."

Maggie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Don't purchase they have a child proof lid on it that can't be opened. So annoyed - I have bad congestion, I have purchased this product and I can't get into the damn thing."

ginger April 10, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Terrible design of child proof cap!!!"

Anonymous April 5, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Neither my wife nor I could open it. If you have kids you are afraid might find and open it, when you can't, take it back for a refund. Otherwise, grab the top of the red cap with a substantial pair of pliers and yank it off. Underneath it is a simple screw-off cap with no gimmicks. The stuff works if you can get at it (BUT follow precautions) hence my rating reflects, efficacy vs inconvenience."

Mike April 1, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "It is one of the worst products I have come across. It not only frustrated me but also put me in mild depression. I questioned myself a lot of times in the process to open the cap as it took me and my co traveler 45 min to give up and dig a hole into the cap using a nail cutter, that wasn't easy either, we both got minor injuries but never gave up. I watched number of YouTube videos and read blogs but nothing seemed to work. Someone needs to take responsibility and fix the design of the cap. Please don't make people more frustrated in the times of dire need."

I could not give a 0 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Child resistant cap impossible to remove for a person with arthritis. I finally got it off with pliers and a vice. Customer should be given a choice."

Rich February 24, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Impossible to open this spray! Do not buy it!"

Anonymous February 15, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "I also could not get the cap off. This is absurd and ridiculous. I am writing three years after other people have posted they have the same problem."

CapWon'tComeOff February 4, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Opening this bottle was a cinch. I'm not so sure what was so hard about it to others, but I opened it without hesitation. recommendations for something for extremely dry nasal passages?"

Stopped up and dried out (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2018

For Nasal Congestion "Here's how Bayer can solve the cap "problem": say "squeeze" instead of "push". Saying "push" is confusing when the spray mechanism allows for vertical movement of the cap, because I'm sure that, like me, you all tried pushing it down and then twisting. No. Don't. Just squeeze the red bit and then twist. It comes off immediately. While this is slightly confusing, I figured it out in about, I dunno, 15 seconds? Step 1 when something isn't working: try something else. With that out of the way, here's why this product really sucks: even a single use as directed will have you suffering INTENSE rebound congestion after 10-12 hours and you will be forced to either spray another dose or suffer several hours of torment. Absolute garbage product."

Albert Einstein December 15, 2017

For Nasal Congestion "I bought two of these because there were two of us in the household who had bad colds. We could not get the caps off. And, NO, we are not morons. We don't struggle with child-proof caps in general. We did follow the instructions. We also looked online and tried various suggestions. When you push down on the cap, the plastic neck gives way and recedes into the bottle. We even tried pliers to get a better grip. It didn't work. The old style bottled worked, but not the new ones. So, don't waste your money!"

Nebit (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

For Nasal Congestion "I love that the amount of negative reviews are because people don't know how to get the cap off lol. It's really not that hard people... afrin is wonderful. Sincerely, The person who knows how to take a child proof cap off."

Anonymous September 26, 2017