User Reviews for Afrin

Learn more about Afrin.

Afrin Rating Summary

4.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 247 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Afrin to treat Nasal Congestion

"Take a pair of pliers after you purchase a new bottle and crack the red casing off. Clear top underneath will open and you will be able to breathe again."

Capbuster February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Awful experience!! Couldn't get the cap off so I spent 30 minutes trying to get it off. After 30 mins and a bloody cut up thumb I finally just grabbed my old bottle of nostrilla (which I would have much rather bought but couldn't find any at the store. For anyone reading this nostrilla is a 10/10 for me!!) Punctured a whole in the afrin bottle and squeezed the stuff into the nostrilla bottle... so nostrilla you the real MVP!!"

Anonymous February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Just like everyone else, can't get the cap off. Ridiculous. We'll see if it clears me up. I will probably go get something else since this just seems like a mess"

sara12345678980 February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"DO NOT EVER BUY AFRIN NASAL SPRAY. Until Bayer gets themselves together and makes a cap that actually comes off, do not waste your time and money with this product."

Anonymous February 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The cap is hella hard to get off smh. But! This stuff isn't total rubbish. It actually works very well."

saucyj_4life February 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I guess Bayer dosen't give a damn about its consumers. There still selling the afrin with the bottle that can't be opened."

Teddy Beara February 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This company should be sued they sell nasal spray that you can't even open to use! Waste of money. My husband is ridiculous enough to buy this nasal spray again when we knew we always have a hard time opening the damn thing. And the nasal spray itself isn't as effective it doesn't spray it squirts lots of liquid when you give it a quick squeeze. Terrible"

Tiger645699 January 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Medication works great for nasal congestion. Now, trying to take off the lid is a different story, I almost returned it. After 3 mins a fellow coworker finally got the lid off. I understand child proofing but, this is ridiculous!!"

Marie/7 January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Seriously this product packaging is completely defective. Exhausted (and of course can't breathe) after hours of three people trying to get the new childproof cap off. Apparently the cap is vacuum locked on and you have to turn the bottle upside down and apply all your weight on it and turn and if you're lucky it will release and open. Absolutely a defective design."

Denise1973 January 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Shameful!! You sell medication that can't be used because Bayer chose to save money using a defective bottle that won't open. Clearly no quality control or concern for consumers--even if they are strong healthy drilling rig operators."

Jcamillegray January 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"What have they done?! They used a very cheap manufactured plastic bottle which can't be opened and used until drill a hole into it which leads to waste half the liquid, secondly its use makes your congestion worst completely blocked after its temorary effect is gone, you end up having no choice but become an addicted to its use.. never recommend it to anyone"

Camerone December 31, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Twice now - more fool me - I have bought the original nasal spray and had the top take everything off when I opened it, rendering the product USELESS. It's annoying you can't rely on what was once a strong brand."

OConnellNYC December 29, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I can't open this bottle and will probably have to return it. It is so frustrating. It looks like many people are having this problem with the Afrin childproof caps."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Would be nice to know if it works but can't open it! So many reviews saying how difficult it is to open, and no changes... stupid!"

cant open December 17, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had the worst time trying to get the cap off. Its child proof and adult proof. I had to end up cutting the cap off. This my first time using. It seem to be working and I just used it less than 5 minutes ago. Well one side of my nostrils is open."

Cap failed (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medicine should be ILLEGAL. It is extremely adicting and within only about 2 days of taking it your symptoms will be 5 times worse. I have been unable to breathe without this medication for around 4 years now. Tried many times to get off it but with no luck. I'm simply convinced that it has damaged my sinuses beyond repair. I'm begging you DO NOT take this. It may work wonders at first but within a day your nose will be completely blocked again and you will have to rely on the medicine again. It's a vicious circle."

Throwawayname December 13, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Would not have bought a new bottle if I had known the new safety cap was nearly impossible to open. Will not buy again until the cap is redesigned"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Works but I guess I used it too often and it made my nose bleed badly. The child proof cap is terribly designed and obviously not tested before hand. I had to use pliers to open the bottle and that still took time. I'm looking for another brand because of this."

Brianaleah28 (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This childproof cap is not operable, I followed your instructions and wound up cutting the dam cap off. The good news for you is a child won't ingest your product and you won't get sued. The bad news is a pissed off adult might cut their hand with a knife and switch products. Good job product safety !!!"

Not happy with packaging (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I bought a squeeze bottle 2 days ago and used it twice before the bottle opened at the seam and leaked all the solution everywhere. This is no longer a quality product and I will be using alternatives."

Nothappyafrinuser (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Great product ....literally can't remove safety cap. It should be replaced asap or I'm sure customers will switch to a new brand. Great product....can't get it out of bottle."

Ski Nose June 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The safety cap is very difficult to open. Tried for a half hour. Finally got it open...don't push down too hard!"

Ryan B April 8, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had the same issue as KimmerD30. I love Afrin but after about a month from the purchase date, it takes on a mildewy smell even though the expiration date is at least a year away. It makes me nervous about continuing to use it once this happens. I keep the bottle on my nightstand so temperature is not an issue. Does anybody know what causes this and is it still safe to use once this happens?"

KT77 February 27, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My new Dr. Recommend I use afin for my sinus congestion, the first time my nose and my throat burned and stinging. Now my throat is sore and I lost my voice. It made my illness worse. I was better of using saline."

Jeanne1963 January 21, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been a satisfied Afrin loyalist for years, but as of today will no longer be able to say the same because the bottles are now outfitted with what appear to be new child protection safety caps, AND THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO OPEN. Impossible. After removing the disposable outer plastic seal (not new), I and another perfectly able adult tried and tried to turn and remove the nozzle cap, without success. Meaning, this new design isn't just a minor hindrance or annoyance; we were NEVER able to open and use the product. It will have to be returned for refund. Disappointing!"

StuffyNosedBW January 17, 2016