User Reviews for Afrin

Learn more about Afrin.

Afrin Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 247 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Afrin to treat Nasal Congestion

"Seriously this product packaging is completely defective. Exhausted (and of course can't breathe) after hours of three people trying to get the new childproof cap off. Apparently the cap is vacuum locked on and you have to turn the bottle upside down and apply all your weight on it and turn and if you're lucky it will release and open. Absolutely a defective design."

Denise1973 January 5, 2017

"Shameful!! You sell medication that can't be used because Bayer chose to save money using a defective bottle that won't open. Clearly no quality control or concern for consumers--even if they are strong healthy drilling rig operators."

Jcamillegray January 4, 2017

"What have they done?! They used a very cheap manufactured plastic bottle which can't be opened and used until drill a hole into it which leads to waste half the liquid, secondly its use makes your congestion worst completely blocked after its temorary effect is gone, you end up having no choice but become an addicted to its use.. never recommend it to anyone"

Camerone December 31, 2016

"Twice now - more fool me - I have bought the original nasal spray and had the top take everything off when I opened it, rendering the product USELESS. It's annoying you can't rely on what was once a strong brand."

OConnellNYC December 29, 2016

"I can't open this bottle and will probably have to return it. It is so frustrating. It looks like many people are having this problem with the Afrin childproof caps."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"Would be nice to know if it works but can't open it! So many reviews saying how difficult it is to open, and no changes... stupid!"

cant open December 17, 2016

"I had the worst time trying to get the cap off. Its child proof and adult proof. I had to end up cutting the cap off. This my first time using. It seem to be working and I just used it less than 5 minutes ago. Well one side of my nostrils is open."

Cap failed (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

"This medicine should be ILLEGAL. It is extremely adicting and within only about 2 days of taking it your symptoms will be 5 times worse. I have been unable to breathe without this medication for around 4 years now. Tried many times to get off it but with no luck. I'm simply convinced that it has damaged my sinuses beyond repair. I'm begging you DO NOT take this. It may work wonders at first but within a day your nose will be completely blocked again and you will have to rely on the medicine again. It's a vicious circle."

Throwawayname December 13, 2016

"Would not have bought a new bottle if I had known the new safety cap was nearly impossible to open. Will not buy again until the cap is redesigned"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

"Works but I guess I used it too often and it made my nose bleed badly. The child proof cap is terribly designed and obviously not tested before hand. I had to use pliers to open the bottle and that still took time. I'm looking for another brand because of this."

Brianaleah28 (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

"This childproof cap is not operable, I followed your instructions and wound up cutting the dam cap off. The good news for you is a child won't ingest your product and you won't get sued. The bad news is a pissed off adult might cut their hand with a knife and switch products. Good job product safety !!!"

Not happy with packaging (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2016

"I bought a squeeze bottle 2 days ago and used it twice before the bottle opened at the seam and leaked all the solution everywhere. This is no longer a quality product and I will be using alternatives."

Nothappyafrinuser (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

"Great product ....literally can't remove safety cap. It should be replaced asap or I'm sure customers will switch to a new brand. Great product....can't get it out of bottle."

Ski Nose June 7, 2016

"The safety cap is very difficult to open. Tried for a half hour. Finally got it open...don't push down too hard!"

Ryan B April 8, 2016

"I had the same issue as KimmerD30. I love Afrin but after about a month from the purchase date, it takes on a mildewy smell even though the expiration date is at least a year away. It makes me nervous about continuing to use it once this happens. I keep the bottle on my nightstand so temperature is not an issue. Does anybody know what causes this and is it still safe to use once this happens?"

KT77 February 27, 2016

"My new Dr. Recommend I use afin for my sinus congestion, the first time my nose and my throat burned and stinging. Now my throat is sore and I lost my voice. It made my illness worse. I was better of using saline."

Jeanne1963 January 21, 2016

"I have been a satisfied Afrin loyalist for years, but as of today will no longer be able to say the same because the bottles are now outfitted with what appear to be new child protection safety caps, AND THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO OPEN. Impossible. After removing the disposable outer plastic seal (not new), I and another perfectly able adult tried and tried to turn and remove the nozzle cap, without success. Meaning, this new design isn't just a minor hindrance or annoyance; we were NEVER able to open and use the product. It will have to be returned for refund. Disappointing!"

StuffyNosedBW January 17, 2016

"Works when nothing else will. Every time."

eli2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2015

"I have used Afrin for years. Until yesterday, I would have given a much higher review. In the months since last needed it, I found that I had to have it removed from a security box at the register and, in addition to safety seal, one is now required to battle a new safety design to remove the top. I have arthritis and a torn ligament in my hand. I concede victory to the bottle and will switch to a different brand. Parents, if you have young children, please put all medications - including Afrin -out of reach. If you have teenagers, please tell them not to make meth..."

Gillespiegirl November 7, 2015

"This is my favorite cold/sinus medicine. It allows me to sleep at night. Doesn't give me that stuffed up feeling other medicines do."

Anonymous March 30, 2012

"I get recurrent sinus infections and oral medications make me too jittery. This nasal spray within a few minutes has me breathing through my nose again and helps relieve the pressure in my sinuses. My only complaint is the horrible burning and stinging felt when sprayed. Its worth it though."

Anonymous March 2, 2012

"I first found Afrin while in Vegas. I was super stuffed up, worse than ever before. I tried out the Severe Congestion version and it cleared me up almost instantly, it was awesome. This version has a Vicks type chemical which burns big time but only for a moment. The original formula is not like that but works well but not as quick, 5-10 minutes maximum. I have been taking it daily for a year and have had no issues. After reading these articles, I will consult with my doctor. The only side effect I have experienced is the same with every sinus spray, the rebound effect has made the symptoms a little bit worse. "

Anonymous May 28, 2011