Vicks Sinex Moisturizing
Generic name: Oxymetazoline (nasal) [ oks-i-met-AZ-oh-leen ]
Brand names: 12 Hour Decongestant, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant, 12 Hour Nasal Relief Spray, 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Afrin 12 Hour, ... show all 28 brands Afrin Menthol Spray, Afrin Nasal Spray, Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture, Afrin NoDrip Original, Afrin NoDrip Sinus, Afrin Sinus, Dristan Spray, Long Lasting Nasal Spray, Mucinex Nasal Spray Full Force, Mucinex Nasal Spray Moisture, Mucinex Sinus-Max Clear & Cool, Mucinex Sinus-Max Full Force, Nasal Decongestant Spray, Nasal Spray 12 Hour, Nasal Spray Max Strength, Neo-Synephrine 12 Hour Spray, NRS Nasal Relief, QlearQuil, Sinus Nasal Spray, Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongest, Vicks Sinex Moisturizing, Vicks Sinex Severe Decongest, Vicks Sinex
Drug class: Nasal antihistamines and decongestants
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 3, 2022.
Uses of Vicks Sinex Moisturizing:
- It is used to treat nose stuffiness.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Vicks Sinex Moisturizing?
- If you have an allergy to oxymetazoline or any other part of Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)).
- If you are allergic to Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)); any part of Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Vicks Sinex Moisturizing?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use for more than 3 days. Using Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) too often or for longer than you have been told may cause nose stuffiness to happen again or get worse.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed or if too much is used. The chance is higher in children. If Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) is swallowed or too much is used, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Talk with the doctor before you give Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) to a child younger than 6 years old.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Vicks Sinex Moisturizing) best taken?
Use Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- Some of these drugs need to be shaken before use. Be sure you know if this product needs to be shaken before using it.
- Some products may have different ways to prime the pump. Some pumps may also need to be primed if not used for different periods of time. Follow how and when to prime as you have been told.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Do not tilt your head back before using Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)).
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Vicks Sinex Moisturizing?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Nose irritation.
- Burning or stinging.
- Runny nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Vicks Sinex Moisturizing?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Vicks Sinex Moisturizing (oxymetazoline (nasal)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Vicks Sinex Moisturizing 12-Hour Decongestant UltraFine Mist (oxymetazoline nasal)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Latest FDA alerts (5)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: nasal antihistamines and decongestants
Afrin, Afrin Original, Mucinex Sinus-Max Full Force, Zicam Sinus Relief, ... +22 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.