User Reviews for Prilosec OTC to treat GERD

Prilosec OTC has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of GERD. 77% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Prilosec OTC Rating Summary

8.5/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Prilosec OTC

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“After 12 days of taking this medicine, I feel crazy! Sudden head rushes when I stand up. A feeling of my ears being full. Heart palpitations, chest tightness etc..it did help with my acid reflux but I had to stop taking it. I can't deal with the side effects. Going to lose weight and cut off certain foods.”

Susan · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 19, 2020

“I started taking Prilosec OTC 20mg tablets last year.... I didn't notice any side effects. My very mild GERD was definitely completely unnoticeable. I was happy.. Up until around 40 days ago. I realized that the hair loss I was experiencing was the Prilosec. The hair loss started 2 months after I began the 20mg tablets. Never had any hair loss in my life and I've taken tons of different meds over the years. I'm a female in my early 30s... I had to eliminate one other medication to come to the conclusion that it was indeed the Prilosec making me go completely bald. Hair was coming out in huge clumps in the shower... Every time I touched my hair, it fell out. My little remaining hair was also very dry & brittle. It was definitely stressful, I had no idea this could be a potential side effect of such a low dose once a day. 40 days off & the hair loss has dramatically decreased already. For me, that particular side effect was extreme, shocking, and unexpected..”

JCN February 27, 2010

“It was wonderful to be able to take one in the morning and be free of distress all day, but soon I began to have dizziness on arising which soon increased to all day. By process of elimination I found the cause to be Prilosec. The problem was resolved after discontinued use. Now I am taking ranitidine with no such side effects and very satisfied.”

D Broussard November 1, 2016

“Thank God. I have not had to take the two pack of Prilosec that I have left. My story.. I was miserable for months taking several different otc medications. I finally called a research facility to try to join a study, to help cure my gerd. The agent I spoke with asked me if Prilosec had failed as a cure. I said id never tried it so I didn't qualify. If that was the way they determined the seriousness of your problem. (If Prilosec couldn't cure you, you must be really bad) then prilosec must be the best otc out there. So I took the 21 day cycle. I was so uncomfortable that I took 2 the first day. I don't recommend that, but I did. After 3 days I say a small improvement. After 1 week I was sure it was working. 21 days later completly cured”

dr5cft6 December 4, 2009

“My doctor gave me a sample of Prevacid for chronic heartburn and one pill taken at bedtime gave me the HIVES by the next morning. Never having had hives, I freaked and called the doctor immediately. I was then given PRILOSEC and have been 98.6% trouble free since then, switching to PRILOSEC OTC which was half of my cost of the prescription. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat: Mexican, Thai, Chinese or other spicy foods, chocolate, water, sodas, bland stuff, etc., I often get heartburn maybe 5 days out of 7. With Prilosec, I seldom have any discomfort, regardless of what I eat or drink. If I forget to take it daily, I'll get heartburn 36-48 hours after the last pill.”

Anonymous August 7, 2012

“My doctor prescribed Protonix which worked most of the time and every now and then I would take a Tums. Then my doctor left and I didn't request a refill soon enough, so I decided to try Prilosec OTC. My GERD disappeared after the first day. I took it daily for 14 days as described on the box and never had a problem at all. My GERD pain is coming back though, so I will be buying another box.”

rtpack September 2, 2011

“I have taken both prescription and OTC Prilosec. After losing my prescription coverage, I changed to OTC version and have had great results. I try to take my pill at least 2 to 3 hours before lunch. It works very well for me.”

Gerd. · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2017

“I was having bad heartburn (GERD) everyday and having to take to many antacids. My doctor suggested OTC Prilosec. After 24 hours all pain was gone and has not returned. It has been a blessing. Today is the 7th day of 14 day treatment. I am waiting to see if the heartburn returns after I complete the recommended 14 day treatment. I hope not.”

gems3125 April 23, 2009

“This medication helps, although I have to take it twice a day and about 40mg at a time for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Does not stop all the burning problem, however does help take the edge off the pain so one can work.”

Hughsey · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2021

“I was in so much pain and after doing research I ran up to Walgreens and bought a 14 day pack. Holy cow. 2nd night I was so much better. Don't eat 3 hours before going to bed. No right side sleeping for awhile and sleep on 3 pillows. I was not equipped to handle that type of evening pain. Good luck.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2012

“It worked well to eliminate reflux symptoms, but forced to discontinue use as made me too dizzy, lightheaded, and sometime naseaus. To the point of not feeling comfortable enough to drive.”

Anonymous July 5, 2009

“I was prescribed this by my doctor to take twice daily. It has helped but I worry about long term use. I have been using it for 2 or 3 years now.”

Ed Rodríguez · Taken for 10 years or more March 19, 2018

“I must have taken too much for a period and caused me to have seizures! Do not take more than prescribed!”

Razduck November 17, 2009

“Excellent OTC medication for Acid Reflux (GERD)”