User Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 5)

Bystolic Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic

Timbo delaslice October 14, 2013

“I was on metoprolol 100 for about 1 year it caused anxiety, heart palpitations, dizziness, tiredness a general ill/ bad feeling. My doctor finally offered new medicines and the Bystolic 10mg is the best thing that could have happened for me. I was nervous at first because of my experience with other beta blockers, honestly apart from taking it every morning, I forget I have a condition. No side effects! When I was researching Bystolic I found bad reviews but after using it for 3 months now, I had to leave positive remarks. What a great medicine. ”

BS72 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 24, 2013

“I have been on and off this medicine for two years now, finally reducing the dose to 1/2 of a 2.5 mg pill every two days. This is the only Blood Pressure medicine so far that I feel good and normal, no pressure in head or headaches, Blood Pressure good, UNTIL I start with severe pain mainly in my upper and lower back but also my neck, which eventually ends up in muscle weakness. This has happened numerous times over the past two years. Thus the stopping and starting again. I play tennis a few times a week, but when the weakness starts, I am in so much pain that I cannot play again for several days and eventually will start experiencing muscle strains or pulls or just can't adequately move my legs to run. Avapro, Benicar and Crestor caused the same problems.”

Texas Expat July 19, 2013

“58 year old male caucasian, overweight, non smoker, non diabetic, low total cholesterol, low HDL, high Triglyceride. Been on Diovan HCTZ 320/25 for years. In last year, 2nd blood pressure medicine -amlodipine was prescribed to hold 130/80 on average. Developed severe leg swelling at 10 months. Switched to toprolol but developed fatigue, then switched to Bystolic 5 mg/day about two months ago. Immediate dramatic reduction in blood pressure to 110/60. No problems in energy level. Heart rate is definitely lower and gets very low (down to 45 bpm when awaking) but no other adverse symptoms. Feel great so far. I feel somewhat calmer. BP has started to climb back to 125/70 in last week. Very pleased so far”

Brainmagic · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2013

“I'm a 66 yrs old Caucasian male, who's suffered an increase in blood pressure from my late 50's. In reading the reviews I've realized how many side effects I've been experiencing. Swollen feet and ankles, Chronic tiredness, Multiple night time awakenings, Leg cramps, Significantly decreased libido. This last effect is what grabbed my attention most severely, so I will stop taking Bystolic. ”

lww · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2013

“I have taken several beta blockers over the years and they all have various side effects. I recently switched to Bystolic and my experience has been wonderful. I have not experienced any negative side effects. I have more energy, my heartbeat is steady. I have also been able to exercise without getting tired, which has helped me to lose weight. This medicine also seems to be working well with the thyroid medicine I take. It is a little more expensive but well worth the cost.”

margie K · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 3, 2013

“I have had no side effects with Bystolic @ 5 mg dosage......”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2012

“48 y/o male with blood pressure averaging 156/102 with spikes to 200 /110 . This medicine helped stabilize my blood pressure to about 115/65 now. No major side effects but need to watch my glucose level since its a Beta blocker.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2012

“I am a 45 yr female who developed high blood pressure 160/100. I took Lopressor for 3 months and hated it. I am a pretty fit and active person and on Lopressor I became so sluggish and tired I couldn't function at all. My doctor gave me Bystolic one month ago and I love it! I feel like myself again. No side effects at all. My heart rate stays normal all day! Anyone feeling really bad on medicine they are taking should ask doctor to try this medicine. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2012

“Love it after the first week. 5mg a day. Lots of energy and losing weight. No more racing heart. Much more relaxed at work and home. Not for everyone but helped me.”

nancy4795 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2012

“Too expensive, caused depression and restlessness, caused nightmares every night.”

Don_James · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 2, 2012

“I was a 38 year old male, 100 pounds overweight, with hypertension (at doctor's office typical BP measurement was 155/95) and tachycardia and arrhythmia with intense exercise. My resting heart rate would also occasionally be high when I felt angry (which was, and is, often). I was prescribed 10 mg Bystolic and within an hour I felt calmed and my heart rate went from >80 to <60. Over the next few weeks on 5 mg daily, my blood pressure measurements had dropped about 10 points on systolic and diastolic. It is now 4 years later, my doctor's office blood pressure measurement is typically 130/80 (at home 125/75), and I've lost the 100 pounds. I am now reducing my dose to 2.5 mg. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2012

“40 y/o, white female, moderately active. So far I'm happy with this medicine. Bystolic brought my blood pressure down from 200/110 to 124/74 and my heart rate from 120 to 48 on 10 mg (and 1mg of Guanfacine). I have gained about 4 or 5 lbs. during the 2 months I've been on it, but I can honestly say some of that is my own fault. I, too, have experienced a calming effect. Aside from the gained lbs. I have no complaints.”

taz1 April 18, 2012

“I have gained 12 lbs in a month! My feet/hands swell so bad that I take a water pill. I am so FATIGUED..no energy, get out of breath and have had several migraines lately..which is not normal for me. My pulse is low all the time and blood pressure is 135/85. I was on Hyzaar for years and it worked great.”

Ms. Allie April 17, 2012

“I am a 53 year old African American female. My Dr. said that my heart rate resting was too fast, blood pressure was borderline and had mild left ventricle thickening. He prescribed 2.5mg of Bystolic. I always feel like I have a chlorine taste in my mouth, my breathing does not seem as deep and I have a strange sensation in my chest all of the time. I feel more sluggish during exercise, but I have lost 16 pounds since on the medicines since October. I am on a low fat diet and I walk 2 miles daily. I think it is a good medicine; I just wish I didn't have to take any thing. I'm just not the same.”

Anonymous March 8, 2012

“I have been taking Bystolic 5mg 2x a day for the last 2 years. I was 33 yrs old when I discovered my blood pressure was high (150/105 approx) ouch. I don't have any of the risk factors for high blood pressure. Dr said it is probably just genetic. My blood pressure has been controlled and has been normal ever since I started taking Bystolic. I have not had any negative side effects at all.”

Anonymous March 2, 2012

“Within 10 days of beginning to take Bystolic 10mg I experienced severely swollen ankles and had to stop taking it. I am now back on Metoprolol 100mg which works fine with no side effects.”

Ruprecht February 28, 2012

“I'm definitely sensitive to BP medicine. I am 40 years old, 6'3" and physically fit. I workout almost everyday (run, cycle, lift weights). Unfortunately, I have Isolated Systolic Hypertension (the systolic runs high but the diastolic is normal). My BP varies from 140/75 to 165/80. I have tried just about every medication for BP on the market, with either no success or with side effects I could not tolerate. With Bystolic is has failed, even at doses of 20mg to get my systolic BP controlled. The real problem for me is that is has 100% eliminated ANY sexual desire. I'm not talking about erectile dysfunction, I mean it makes me not even care about it. It also has the sticky throat feel where you need to clear it constantly. Back to square one.”

Anonymous February 2, 2012

“I'm 39 years old and I've been experience high BP for a few months - 190/140. I was on Effexor and dr immediately took me off that and replaced with Viibryd and added the Bystolic 10mg. Definitely feeling better...no more heart beats THUMPING in my head. Been a bit dizzy/lightheaded, but I'm contributing that to the change in anti-depressant, but after reading everthing...not quite sure. I've had some loose bowels too, but who cares as long as the my pounding heartbeat is gone. I never felt bad before, but the medicines have given me some peace of mind.”

iBThom January 12, 2012

“Was on Toprol XL for years which made me overly tired. Now on Bystolic for 7 months so far. Perfect. I have tons more energy and my arrhythmia was controlled along with my high blood pressure. The only side effect I've noticed is that I'm able to keep awake.”

Anonymous January 2, 2012

“49 yo male, generally healthy including normal blood pressure. I had a bare metal stent placed in a main artery and have been on 2.5 mg of Bystolic for 3 months now. For the most part I feel good. The subtle changes to my body I have noticed include uncertainty, forgetfulness, fatigue and working at a slower pace. Never being on any medications prior to my procedure I became concerned and phoned my Cardiologist. Their reply: "Oh we hear that all the time from patients on the drug, it's normal. You body is adjusting as it would to pair of new eye glasses". It didn't make me feel any better.”

TbearMN November 25, 2011

“I started Bystolic in October of 2011 after using 5 other medicines over the past 2 1/2 years with drastic side effects and little relief. I was on Cardizem for a week when they switched me to a months samples of 5 mg Bystolic. It was the answer I had hoped for. BP was normal level, no palpitations. About week 3, they started. The side effects. The first was swelling in the legs, ankles and hands. Then came the headaches, joint pains and difficulty breathing. By week 4 my BP rose again, the palpitations began again and the side effects worsened. I went back to atenolol figuring that if I was going to have palpitations, the side effects were less painful than the discomfort of the palpitations.”

Anonymous November 20, 2011

“I am a 43 year old female. Doctor said I am having adrenaline rushes and that its giving me high blood pressure and a rapid heart beat. 160/100 and heart beat in 120's resting. Puts me on Azor, blood pressure came down but heart rate was still high and I was feeling like I was having anxiety attacks. Doctor decided to put me on Bystolic a week ago and the very first day I took it my heart rate came down in the 60's and it also brought my blood pressure down to 110/65 resting. My feeling of anxiety is pretty much gone and I am feeling much better. I have slight issues with waking up in the middle of the night but I seem to be able to go back to sleep pretty quickly.”

Anonymous November 9, 2011

“I am a 50 year old hispanic male. I have had a constant headache for a week. My Blood pressure was 150/112 so I prescribed Bystolic. I'm anxious to feel better. We will see.”

Anonymous October 23, 2011

“50 year old female. Had been advised of borderline high-blood pressure for a few years. During an unrelated surgery & hospital stay, BP was uncontrollable and spiking 200/120. Dr. started me on Metoprolol and lisonopril, but didn't control my BP well, and horrible side effects of fatigue, light-headed, loss of concentration, etc. Switched to Bystolic, and immediately blood pressure was perfect, side effects were gone. BUT WITHIN A COUPLE OF MONTHS - started having severe joint or tendon pain in shoulders, hips and fingers. I've seen a few reports of this problem with Bystolic, going to an osteo specialist this week - I would hate to have to stop Bystolic, but if it's the culprit, these joint pains are not worth it.”

djanazzo October 3, 2011

“I experienced several side effects, including vision change, hoarseness, insomnia, terrible dry mouth, headaches (Migraine) to name a few, but my blood pressure did go to normal. I had to try something else.”