User Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure

Bystolic Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic

Tony · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2020

“I have been taking Bystolic for 3 years for high BP and Mitral Prolapse. I'm 62. it was very effective at first for BP. The dosage raised over time from 5mg to 20mg. Now less effective for BP- Prolapse has evidently not worsened. I frequently feel tired now. I exercise regularly but requires more effort when on this drug. My other complaint is chest pain and low heart rate, face rash and often have a pounding heart sensation. My goal is to lose 25lbs (Im 5'11 218 pounds) in the hope that I can stop taking this med. The side effects are numerous for me and I worry about the longer term impact since it slows your hear rate so much. I will be seeking advise for an alternative med. The chest pain is the most worrying symptom (my stress tests/ calcium scans are good.”

Sally May 1, 2020

“Tried Bystolic yesterday for my BP. Took again today. Should not have but my other BP meds had given me so much trouble I had to quit taking them. Last night my pulse went down to 48. Today off and on up and having dizzy spells panic attacks. It seems that I stacked it up onto medications that had been doing that and it accentuated them. It seems to me unless you have a high pulse rate that these beta blockers are not good medications to use.”

Loretta · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

“I was having trouble with my previous blood pressure med. So my MD office put me on Bystolic to try and gave me a months worth of samples, Thank goodness didn't have to pay copayment. It didn't bring down my blood pressure at all. I gained 8 lbs in 4 weeks from fluid retention, I'm tired all the time when I took it, and I have wheezes from being short of breath! And I needed to be taken off of work for 2-3 weeks because of the fluid retention in my legs. I would not recommend this drug to anyone. It gave me nothing but grief and side effects are scary and they don't go away instantly it takes a few weeks for them to leave my system. Please don't take this medicine.”

DGarlin · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

“At first Bystolic was great until I would get sleepy out of no where The biggest issue is I am still suffering from joint pain and it's a year later that I'm not on Bystolic. I think it causes arthritis.”

Dwyane · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I started getting ED from bystolic so I stopped and switched to amoldipine”

Aggies95 · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

“I took this drug Bystolic for less than one week. In that time my blood pressure went up but not down. I had a strong tremble in my right arm and hand that never stopped. I had to get new eyeglasses as I couldn’t see well enough out of the ones I had and every night I woke up confused and had no clue where I was. I stopped the medication and it took another week to feel right again. Do not take Bystolic I beg you. There are ample antihypertensives to choose from. I feel this should be taken off the market or have a black box warning.”

Brynn · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“I’m female age 55 no history of heart / BP issues. But extreme work stress plus caregiving knocked me off healthy routine in recent years, BP rising at every dr appt. Also woke up every morning w/ racing pounding heart plus PVCs (extra beats). A month ago I saw primary care dr for another issue, my BP was 180/98, he put me on Bystolic 5 mg immediately and did an EKG. Bystolic worked RIGHT AWAY. Heart quiet at night, no racing, no extra beats. I could not recall last time my pulse was under 100 — now it’s always in 80s. Occasional cold hands / feet & insomnia, 1st week on drug I had fatigue and muscle weakness but that is gone. Now back on gym routine, my daily BP is 118/75 or LOWER, slowly getting back to good habits. Notice I have less desire to drink alcohol. Dr gave me free samples and coupon so w/ insurance I pay $35 for 3 months. Great drug for me, knock wood.”

Gina December 29, 2019

“Bystolic works for me with very "few" side effects. Aged mid 40's, female, Typical reading prior to taking was 175/120 pulse125. Now-Bystolic 5mg for 2 mo. my BP is 125/65 Pulse 60. A major difference and my headaches went away that I previously had, (due to HBP). I think it depends on the chemistry of the individual and pre-existing health conditions, that one may have. Based upon my own experiences while taking this medication, I feel so much better, minimal reactions (NO anxiety or depression, actually much calmer, and I am a very hyper individual, constantly on the move). It definitely helped me!❤️One time, accidentally overlapping the time frames that I normally take it I experienced an adverse effect taking it 2 hours earlier one day(by accident)than the usual time and my pulse decreased to 45 BPM and my BP actually increased! I experienced dizziness, almost fainted. Mimicking an overdose. Taken the same time daily, it is very effective!”

Brian · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2019

“25 years old, sensitive to most medicines and this was another one on the blacklist. Headaches occasionally, insomnia, loss of sexual desire, heart palpitations, depression, dizzy when standing up or squatting down, tired when sitting down, and short term memory was terrible.”

Lex December 10, 2019

“I'm 24 and I've been on Bystolic for 3 months now. I love it. Always have high energy when I wake up, I take it at night, blood pressure went from 175/102 to 113/72. Also brought my HR down. It was running between 107-138 and now is about 72 bpm. Only thing is loss of appetite.”

Shelly · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 22, 2019

“After trying many commonly tolerated BP drugs (which I did not tolerate well) I was given Bystolic 2.5. It controls my BP nicely, not making it too low, and I've had little to no side effects. I've been on it for 5 years now and take it daily. I am a 51 year old woman, in good health.”

Mari S November 8, 2019

“I have been on Bystolic 2.5 mg for about 5 years. I read a previous comment about becoming depressed after starting on this drug. I too suffer from depression and have also gotten to the point where no one and nothing interests me. For about 3 weeks now, my blood pressure has been all over the place and I increased my dose to 2 pills a day. I still wake up with high blood pressure. I am going to cardiologist to change my medication and hopefully finally get out of this slump I have been in for way too many years. Btw, I also suffer from bad migraines, which, according to my doctor were supposed to be minimized with Bystolic. They have actually gotten worse over the years.”

Jake · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2019

“I've been taking 20mg Bystolic for about a year. A lot of things I like about this drug but some that I do not. It actually seems to make me calmer and I believe it helps my social anxiety slightly. What I do not like is it seems to make my hands and feet numb. One time my toe was so numb it turned white and scared me quite bad also I have woken up in the morning and my arm has been numb. My arms and feet will tingle at times....I thought maybe I was just too inactive as I did not exercise at all so started exercising (walking) a few times a week and for the most part, that problem has greatly diminished.”

Struggling October 26, 2019

“I was started on 5mg bystolic 4 months ago. It took me to a very dark place. So tired I couldn't function, no concentration, legs and shoulders hurt, dont care about nothing or no one. It did slow down my racing heart. I have been borderline diabetic for 5 years but last test showed I have crossed the line, my doctor said the bystolic probably push me over the line. It can mess with your sugar level. Wish he had told me that before I took it. He cut me back to 2.5mg . My energy came back some but I still have no motivation. My spark is gone. Still have pain in legs and shoulders and neck. The simplest of task is overwhelming. My doctor is determined to keep me on it. He thinks all my symptoms are just in my head. I guess my A1c can be made up in my head. He wants me to try depression medicine but I decline. I was happy and motivated before I started this mess. I just want to feel good again not blah all the time.”

Gus September 28, 2019

“Took Bustolic and it caused ED (erectile dysfunction)”

Robin · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

“Bystolic added to Losartan to lower my blood pressure. It did lower BP but side effects of weakness, dizzy spells, blurry vision, upset stomach are terrible. I cannot tolerate this drug or perhaps the combination.”

CoDoHo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 17, 2019

“Started on 20mg Bystolic after bout of tachycardia. Had been taking diltiazem 360 mg. Felt dizzy and BP fell too low on 20mg so lowered to 10 mg a day. Worked pretty well for 6 months but I have recently begun exercising routinely and have lost about 20 pounds (235 down to 214 this morning). Now my HR has slowed to under 50 bpm and I feel light-headed most of the time. Going to titrate down to 5mg over next few days and see if that helps. Doctors appointment in another week. Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.”

Kenster61 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 28, 2019

“For lowering BP it worked great. After about a year I noticed the side effects. Loss of energy in the morning, bloating and of course ED. ED was very frustrating and I tried everything I knew with no results. Stopped it 3 weeks ago and I feel so much better. Dr recommended a diuretic to try. Was not covered by insurance and had to use a coupon 135 for 3 month supply.”

omg my heart · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

“I was put on bystolic 10 mg 6 days ago. So far my bp has gone up..as high as 179/107, and heart rate has dropped to 40.., chest pain arm pain just like having heart attack confusion,, swelling and unable to sleep. I took myself off the stuff today there is no way I will take any more. I was much better before being prescribed bystolic”

Whethernut · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2019

“Was experiencing anxiety because adult son was in imprisoned. BP would spike to 160/100. Tried 2.5mg Bystolic for 30 days and seemed to work although towards the end of the period, experienced mild dizziness and fatigue and somewhat out of breath. Continued for another 20 days and had branch retinal vein occlusion with seepage. Weaned off over 10 days and my eye feels better. Feel all better. My BP off drugs now is running around 124/80. Thinking maybe low dose Lisinopril for my eye. Wonder if Bystolic caused my eye problem. There are some reports of ocular conjunctival hemorrhage with Bystolic?”

Mac · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

“I've been taking Bystolic 10mg once a day for only 3 days now and the results have been remarkable! Blood pressure readings today have been averaging 120/82 with a heart rate of 72. For months prior, I couldn't get my blood pressure under 150/100 even though I was taking Metropolol 50mg...probably due to individual metabolism...and I was experiencing light headedness and nausea. I have also not experienced any side effects of Bystolic. The only downside is expense until a generic is approved within a year or two. What a fantastic medication!”

twinkletoesnshoes · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

“I was told by my Doctor Bystolic was the Cadillac of BP meds. He handed me 6 months worth of samples 5mg..and sent me on my way. This was my first experience taking BP meds.. Female early 50's with stubborn BP that is UP, down, UP, down...UP UP UP at the doctors office. It had to be within the first week of taking this "TOP of the line" med that I started having awful vivid nightmares. Also, the worse part was the deep DEEP muscle pain that came in waves. At first I thought I was just sitting weird 'all the time". Woke me up in pain in the middle of the night too. Made it thru until my refill at 6 months. I asked to be removed from this product, I honestly could not take it anymore. The muscle pain and nightmares were awful. As soon as I got off this med, I was 95 percent better. No nightmares and muscle pain is rare. This was 4 years ago and the options out there are very limited to side effects. This is nuts. All this to say Bystolic was a huge HUGE problem for me.”

Connie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

“59 year old woman, had been very active and fit. An adverse reaction to a cold medication sent my blood pressure sky high and my doc put me on bystolic 5mg, which worked well for me for 3 months, until I started having awful side effects such as dizziness, extreme fatigue, numbness and cold extremities, etc. It was debilitating. Getting off bystolic was awful. My heart rate was through the roof, I had major tremors, panic attacks, and very high BP spikes for days. I had very intolerable side effects to other BP meds as well. I am 2 months off bystolic now, and 9 days off all BP meds. Blood pressure occasionally spikes, but generally not bad and coming down gradually. I'm able to exercise a bit again, and that is helping my blood pressure. But I still have slight tremors most days, still lightheaded and definitely more anxious than I ever was before I started any medication. I feel like I was poisoned, and recovery is very slow.”

vli · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

“Just started Bystolic 5mg. My fluttering is not well controlled but then I have not taken it regularly as when I first started taking it in the morning it made me sleepy and listless all day - I'm a cop and that did not work for me. Now I take it after lunch and that seems to help (my decision - did not consult doc). Seem to have rapid heartbeat incidents right after taking and sometimes when laying down at night. Since its new I will give it time - tried Lisinopril but it made me cough - for quite awhile AFTER I stopped taking it. BP seems ok so I will stick with it until next doctor visit.”

Kp · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

“This medicine was a nightmare. I was prescribed 10 mg but only took 5 mg. Side effects: horrible insomnia, neck stiffness on my right side, complete loss of appetite, fatigue, weight loss. I finally asked my dr to change meds...this med was driving me insane. I am now on Valsartan...still feel tired but at least I can sleep. Bystolic was HORRIBLE!!!”