User Reviews for Bystolic

Learn more about Bystolic.

Bystolic Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 347 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure

"Been on bystolic for labile hypertension for one year. Medication is somewhat assisting with the high readings; but, severely detrimental with the lows (91/55). Cardiologist said this is the best medication for labile hypertension but I believe it makes me drop too low at night. Only on 2.5 mg and doctor wants to increase because I still get reasons of 120/92 in mornings. May have to search for new medication because this one is not ideal for laabile hypertension."

Crystalbzb June 11, 2016

"Didn't reduce my pressure the way I wanted, usually between 130/80 to 140/90. Was good for my rapid heart rate and usually brought my diastolic rate down. Unfortunately, I became tired a lot which I cured by taking good vitamins from GNC. It calmed me from occasionally anxiety. It made me sleep well and I stopped having headaches. Unfortunately, I had acne, which I have never had in my life, labored breathing, some hair loss, blurred vision and I became very anxious after six months of being on the drug which made my pressure escalate . I have switched medication now and my doctor is weaning me off slowly. I have gone from 10mg to 2.5mg. It's a great drug if it works for you, but it is not for everyone and the side effects vary."

Madison Baby (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

"Bystolic reduced the blood pressure, but it comes with the price. Chaotic sleep, low energy level, loss of interest in the previously enjoyed activities, and a substantial weight gain Weening down from the whole pill to a half, and looking for natural ways to reduce my BP."

Tranquil Oasis May 18, 2016

"It never helped my blood pressure, it caused nightmares and rapid weigh gain. Ten pounds gained without changing diet. Severe pain in hip. Fatigue l had never had before. I felt as if I were what I would expect a 90 year old to feel like! I started walking and took myself off the medication and now my blood pressure is 106/76."

Nan2 May 7, 2016

"I was prescribed Bystolic 2 weeks ago to control HBP. It was 194/104 at the Dr. Office. I had previously been prescribed Zebeta, which I liked, but it caused my heart rate to go down to 40 bpm. It also caused some stomach issues, but did lower my BP. Then I took ramipril, and had a horrible cough, burning in my chest, and my throat swelled up almost immediately. I am very sensitive to medicines, and only take 2.5 mgs of this, and it lowers my BP at that dose, but it sitll creeps up during the day. Also, it completely kills my appetite, which I can live with for now, and also some stomach upset at first, but seems to be getting better. I hope they don't up my dose. I like having very few side effects. Good luck"

MoreBubbles May 5, 2016

"After a few decades of high blood pressure, my new doctor switched me to Bystolic. 2 days later, I was within normal range for the first time. I absolutely love the results of this med. I have had very vivid dreams, insomnia, and tiredness during the day. I was willing to deal with that. Here's the problem...I started with a "coupon" which was to make my maximum monthly cost $30. I filled the prescription in April, and it cost $30, but in May, it was $65. The pharmacy was told that the coupon "changed" May 1. I called the coupon administration office, and was told the same thing. However, the coupon says right on the back that it is valid until December 31. I feel I was deceived! I have asked my doc to switch me to something else."

Brokemarymag May 2, 2016

"Metoprolol controlled my rapid heart rate and lowered my blood pressure, but after taking it for a couple years, my sense of smell and taste were dulled to the point where I could sniff cat poop and hardly even grimace. All food was bland and uninteresting. You'd think this would have allowed me to lose weight, but I stuffed my face anyway, hoping that the next bite might taste like something. No luck. My doctor said that Bystolic is the latest and greatest - fewest side effects, so I gave it a try. I'm starting to get my taste and smell back. It's worth the money."

Kamalani March 3, 2016

"My life has changed significantly the last few months. I'm felling like totally lost my energy levels and fighting to keep the interest for anything. I start to think that I developed kind of sickness like anemia or something else. For sure I decided to investigate and find the root cause. Today I saw the Bystolic reviews here and the preview comments is exactly like mine : "It was effective in lowering my blood pressure from 150/95 down to 128/83 on average. However, this drop came at a tremendous expense to my lifestyle." I myself have felt very low energy, occasional dizziness, sexual and general lack of interest in anything. My appetite dropped and I stopped feeling life inside me. So, I decided to see my doctor and stop it."

Mr. Consorte (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 29, 2016

"It was effective in lowering my blood pressure from 150/95 down to 128/83 on average. However, this drop came at a tremendous expense to my lifestyle. I've felt very low energy, occasional dizziness, headaches and general lack of interest in anything. My appetite dropped and I stopped feeling life inside me. In a nutshell, harmful side effects make this drug ineffective in solving BP problems"

BorisSFL February 1, 2016

"I have had high blood pressure since I was a child. I have tryed many different meds for this problem. I had bad reactions to many of the poplar blood pressure meds and I am highly allergic to red rice so colesterol meds were no an option. I fired my doctor and went with a new doctor that prescribed bystolic it changed my whole life I am forever in his debt. I went from having multi side effect to almost none in 2 weeks I felt like a new person."

Andrew888 January 13, 2016

"Been taking this for over a year with minimal side effects. It lowers heart rate and metabolism. However, make sure your doctor determines the cause of your hypertension. If you are not responsive to different blood pressure medications, asked to be checked for aldosteronism!!!"

Getting old too December 4, 2015

"37 year old male, extremely fit, 2 time Iraq deployed, still Active Duty Army. Blood pressure sky rocketed after my first deployment in 2004/2005. VA prescribed lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide. Struggled from the start with severe headaches and very high pulse for over 10 years and thru a second deployment in 2010/2011. VA refused to change meds even though my BP and pulse were never stable. Finally manned up and switched to a civilian doctor a month ago. He immediately told me to cease the VA's medicine and put me on Bystolic. I've never felt better. BP during exercise hasn't been over 124/71, pulse 105ish, lowers to 115/60ish thru out the day and my pulse is a beautiful 58-70 at its highest during the stresses of daily Army work."

Shaun Hall (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

"This was horrible. It did fix my blood pressure, but while on it I fainted once and I didn't have the energy to work outside. I'm 38 and it made me feel like an old man. It took several weeks to ween off and another month to feel 90% better. My eye is still twitching after being off of this for a month."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

"I'm a 54 years old non-smoker, 5'8"/145 lbs & healthy all of my life. Developed labile hypertension 5 years ago. Dr. first prescribed 25mg metoprolol in 2010, dose increased to 50mg in 1/2014. BP was controlled on Metoprolol but still not always ideal. Dr. felt metoprolol was the best med, since it has been around for decades with a proven track record. New dr. this past April gave me some samples of 5mg Bystolic. I have been taking it for about 6 weeks and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! No fatigue, no depressed feeling & better exercise tolerance-HIGHLY recommend. BP great! Give yourself 2-3weeks to adjust to new med. Drawback it is more expensive than Metoprolol, but it's worth it."

Momofgigi June 15, 2015

"Had rapid wt. gain. Headache & fatigue. I was able to get it free."

Anonymous June 9, 2015

"34 y/o female on HBP meds since severe bacterial infection wiped out 3/4 of kidney function 5 years ago. Had been on 100mg/day of Metoprolol and it caused mind-numbing fatigue and fogginess, and frankly I realize now I was over-medicated. Doc switched me to 5mg/day Bystolic and I felt like a new woman overnight! No fatigue and only noticeable side effect (like someone else mentioned) was that it knocked back my libido some, which wasn't a terrible thing and isn't affecting me that much. I can get through a work day without taking a nap at lunch and actually have a life after hours now. I'm glad I took a chance on this med!"

nckhella (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2015

"With all the blood pressure medications I've taken over the last 15 years, specifically beta blockers, Bystolic has been the best match for me. I was originally placed on beta blockers to control the rate of my heart since I have PSVT's, which also increased my BP during those episodes. While I do work nights, I have gained weight since taking beta blockers. With Bystolic I do feel less tired and able to keep moving, climb stairs easier, my weight gain has stopped. My BP is usually 120's/70-80. The cons of this drug, and to be fair, all beta blockers, I have horrendous nightmares. I have to take a sleeping pill, Lunesta, for that!"

Marz2u (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2015

"Severe diarrhea after starting."

Scrapbox (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2015

"I have been taking bystolic 5mg for 2 years. I originally started on metoprolol 100mg.. I had tons of problems and side effects. My doctor switched me to bystolic, and irate best thing that ever happened to me I researched it and found nothing but bad reviews online,I was worried. But after 2 years.. I'm still happy,normal pressure,never any side effects or symptoms. Systolic is a little more pricey... But I can live my life,and not be worried about symptom triggers or drowsiness..Bystolic is my wonder drug!"

daddy o maley February 28, 2015

"I was diagnosed to chronic hypertension and POTS at age 15, after trying a few different beta blockers I was put on 10 mg and generally maintain a 110/70 BP. I've been on Bystolic for 7 years and would highly recommend it."

Kmr06 February 3, 2015

"Started having bad headaches for 2 weeks and realized blood pressure was high. I started taking Bystolic and headaches went away and I have no side effects. My BP is the best it's ever been. I take 5mg daily and have been taking for 4 months"

JJRAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2015

"I have been on this medicine less than 2 years....5mg, recently changed to 2.5mg per day. I have had no side effects, feel great. I do have more energy most likely because my blood pressure is where it is suppose to be. I am a female in my early 50's & this is my first experience with blood pressure meds."

arw December 11, 2014

"Great stuff, best blood pressure medicine so far. Almost no side effect, alas libido. If you are a jealous type and its killing you that your girlfriend is partying without you ... this is the medicine to take. It reduces sexual desire to a degree where you don't care. It's strange, because I have (had) a good sex drive. It's almost like the female world lost her power over me."

Tor123 June 30, 2014

"I was prescribed this medication for high blood pressure. It DID lower my blood pressure, and for about 6 weeks I had almost no adverse reaction. I was prescribed 10 mg, but only took 5mg because I am sensitive to medicines and anesthetics. Vivid dreams, insomnia, sleepiness during the day were tolerable, but I soon developed double vision, pain in my upper body, a rash and increasing weakness and balance problems. I weaned myself off slowly--my last dose was in February 2014--I still have tremors, difficulty walking and extreme weakness. I cannot recommend Bystolic."

DennSaw June 3, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have limited experience with any other Blood Pressure medications but reading the comments I see the patterns I've experienced on Bystolic (10mg before bed every night). Intermittent restless sleep, occasional neck and shoulder pains, inconsistent blood pressure readings ranging from an ideal 120/80 to spikes around 160/100. Intermittent bouts of extreme fatigue. I think my problem might be either inconsistent dose effectiveness (i.e. some of my pills might not be as strong as they're supposed to be) or I need to be on smaller doses twice a day to even out the effects. I'll check with my doctor."

Durtly May 25, 2014