User Reviews for Bystolic

Bystolic Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 340 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure

"Been on 2.5 mg bystolic Daily for 2 weeks now. Half in morning half at night. At first only side effects I had were blurred vision and light headed after an hour of taking the dose. After 2 weeks I have many side effects. Dizziness, tingling wrists and feet, light headed. And feel some chest discomfort. Also I have no energy to walk or hike . Did I mention the lack of sleep at night. ..terrible."

Aceman (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

"One unique thing about this drug is my bp actually goes up for a hour or so after I take it. When I first took it I had similar side effects as when I was on metoprolol and lisinopril which was nausea, reflux and later sexual side effects and trouble sleeping. With my Bystolic most side effects went away and I have a bit of a sex life :)"

Wiskbroom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

"I took Bystolic 5mg for the first time in the morning and by late afternoon I all of a sudden felt flushed, really cold and started shaking badly. My wife took me to the ER and about 45 minutes later it subsided. ER Dr. could not say the Bystolic caused it but recommended not taking it again. That was last Aug. and I have not been the same since. I reported my experience to the FDA online for what it’s worth. Could have been anxiety/panic attack which I never had before. I got my BP down with diet, exercise, lowering stress and working with new Dr now. But if I do need to take medicine in the future I have no idea which one is the safest. But trying one and going to the ER is not going to happen to me again. As a society we need to treat the cause of high BP and other health issues not the symptoms."

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"I had the side effects of extreme fatigue, & upset stomach to one whom has never suffered either. Stuff knocks me out like a sleeping pill. Took Atenolol for two decades with energy to spare & normal eating. Now my stomach turns audibly every day on this. Lost 15lbs, (that I needed) in 60days on this. Sleep 12+ odd hours a day where I've gone on consistent 7 hours my entire life before bystolic. Loathe it."

WorstBeta (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2018

"Started 5mg Bystolic in July 2017. Lowered my BP to unsafe levels 90/50 as well as my heart rate 47 bpm. Could not sleep well 3-4 hours nighty and had a jittery feeling throughout the day. Reduced dosage to 2.5 mg. Even at that dose I experienced unsatisfactory results. Started breaking the 2.5mg in half and I'm sleeping better and my BP runs around 112/60. Still have the jitters however. I run daily and have difficulty getting my heart rate above 110. It's seems there's a price to pay for many medications, often more than I'm willing to accept. Quality of life issues."

Tj 1980 January 31, 2018

"Am so so scared and tired with no hope in future. I have a 15 years old daughter. I was on 2.5 mg and they increased my dose to 5 mgs in October. Since then I've had no proper sleep. My GP reduced to 2,5 mgs again but I need more to go 1,25 mgs or swap for another one. My lack of sleep interfere with everything please please any help ideas"

Neto 64 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 27, 2018

"Took Bystolic 5 mg for a year. Episodes short of breath while exercising. progressively tired with no energy. A general feeling of unwellness. To top it off, each month, it controlled my bp less and less. And I Gained 30 lbs. Never had any of these issues before! Switched to Atenolol 25 mg. Still tired but the feeling of unwellness gone. No more breathing issues while exercising. BP is controlled well. However, My hair is starting to thin (Never had hair issues before). My plan is to stay on Atenolol for now, FORCE myself to start exercising again, tired or not, lose the weight, start natural supplements to lower bp. Hopefully, once I lose weight/exercise more, I can get off the nightmare bp meds. I want my life back again. :("

Sunshine247365 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2018

"This drug was a nightmare in real life. The first day I took it I began have severe chills but was diaphoretic, worst chest pain I ever had, my blood pressure went sky high 204/110 range, etc, I did not take it very long. In the subsequent time since I stopped I am still experiencing some break thru problems that I hope go away."

Sand90 (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2018

"Was put on bystolic for high blood pressure induced by stress. This is a horrible medication. I was only on 12.5 mg once a day and side effects were intolerable. Extreme flushing and feeling of anxiety. ...stomach pain. My blood pressure actually spiked after taking this medication. Also caused bad insomnia. I was in bed awake until 4 a.m. for 3 nights in a row when I finally decided to go my doctor and got switched to another medication. Seems doctors are always trying to push the new and latest version of drugs, just to report back to the drug companies. Will never take it again."

Roie October 26, 2017

"It made me feel like my heart was going blow out of my chest."

kiss my ass August 17, 2017

"This drug was a nightmare for me. I unfortunately had B12 deficiency at the same time so it took a longish time to figure this drug was murdering me in addition to my troubles with B12. It did keep my BP very low but.... it made my legs feel almost lame and if I tried to walk even remotely fast I'd feel like I was going to pass out. It also cranked by A1C way up. The worst 6 months of my life pretty much. A week after coming off it I felt reborn."

hypertense (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

"I have been sick ever since I have taken this medication 20mg. Memory loss, jitters, anxiety, panic attacks, cold chills....this has been a complete nightmare. After reading the reviews above maybe I can get some help - Every doctor I have been to kept saying maybe it's depression...what are you depressed about? I am not DEPRESSED for crying out loud. This is another failed medication that's causing folks to become sick. I have been carted off the road twice from this medication because of anxiety from this pills. My life has been a living HELL."

RENAMOORE August 16, 2017

"I almost died from this drug, my physician did not believe me because I am a woman. I took myself off of it and got well but it has cause some permanent damage to my vision and I am left with a persistent tremor in my right hand."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

"I was 1st put on Amlodipine until my throat swelled almost shut and then was switched to Lisinopril and had the same reaction and was then taken off of both. Ended up at a Heart Dr then after almost dying from a 100% main Blocked LAD artery I had to have a stint put in at age 44, from that point on I have been on Bystolic 5mg for almost 5yrs now. I have had no allergic reaction or any other issues taking this medicine and I think the only reason I am even on it is because of the stint, my blood pressure is perfect all the time. I will have to be on a Beta blocker the rest of my life now."

1Crochet (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 17, 2017

"I take amlodipine, irbesartan and bystolic for high blood pressure. Amlodipine is the most effective of the three at a maximum suggested dose of 10 mg daily. It seems like bystolic is least effective (nebivolol). My heart rate does not require lowering so the bystolic may be unnecessary. I use 300 mg of irbesartan daily, the maximum dose."

Idyfrank (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 13, 2017

"I have been on 2.5mg of Bystolic for 3 months now. I found this forum searching to see if others feel tired and sleepy from this drug. It worked for me right away but now I am ready to head to bed at 9:00 and never have a problem falling asleep. If I am not active during the day I feel tired. It's lowered my heart rate while running and my 8:30- 8:45 per minute miles are now 9:30-10:00. My cardiologist says that if it becomes unbearable he can find an alternative. Not sure what I am going to do as the drug is doing it's job with my BP."

TapOut64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

"I was taking metoprolol prior to this which made me dizzy and didn't even keep my blood pressure down. Bystolic gave me zero side effects and helped lower my blood pressure continuously throughout the day not just for a few hours it's done wonders."

NickNikNick (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2017

"Took for 6 months messed up my heart couldn't control my BP dropped my heart rate very low I played handball which is a very aggressive sport I could not sweat but it made my lower heart chambers thicken I think I have some heart problem gonna go to doc soon. No history of family heart disease only had hbp no side effects until I started taking bystolic fainting, hard time breathing, went to ER 4 times - he didn't want me to come off. He is an idiot"

Sir serg May 13, 2017

"(20 days of pure HELL)!! My doctor added Bystolic 10 mg (gave me 3 weeks samples) to help lower my heart rate and blood pressure... I was on Caduet 10mg and Hydrochlorotizide 25mg for over 10 years but recently my bp was not being stable. The 1st day on Bystolic I experienced cold legs and my bp was 132 / 84 better than my 142 / 90.. My short time on Bystolic I started having vivid horrific dreams and was waking up with cold sweat and high bp of 158 / 98 ... During the 1st week I also lost about 2 seconds of consciousness and became very light headed and foggy minded which remained until I demanded my Dr to take me off of Bystolic which he didn't want to do "

iShootVideos205 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

"I have been on this medicine for a year now. I have recently realized ( from seeing a new Dr) that I should not have been put on this med. I have to see a cardiologist to get off of Bystolic10 !? Really!? I wish I knew that before I was prescribed this. It's never really kept my blood pressure in check 100%....so I wanted to stop taking it. But when my Dr said I had to see a specialist I was annoyed. I have come to learn that this med is why I have put on so much weight, feel so tired, deal with numb hands. "

Krissy P February 6, 2017

"This is my first time on any high blood pressure medication. My new primary care physician noticed that recently it's been high during my visits so he decided to put me on Bystolic. The day he put be on this medication, (before I started it) I was driving to work in the morning and suffered what I can only assume a panic attack feels like (which is why I went to my doctor later that day). My heart was pounding through my chest, my face and arms went numb, chest pain and dizziness. Anyway, I have been on it for less than a month and have seen no negative side effects yet and my BP has been normal. The only reason I didn't give this a 10 is because I have only been on it a short amount of time. We'll see if I get the same results over time."

Alec Station January 25, 2017

"Bystolic did not help lower my blood pressure as my other blood pressure medicine just recently had to be doubled. I have taken the medicine for 10 months and at my last doctor's appointment I realized I have gained 22 pounds in the last 10 months without any changes to diet or activity level. Also I have felt disconnected from my life and have had absolutely no sex drive. This medicine is not for me. I paid $50 a month for a drug that caused me to gain 22 pounds that I now have to lose."

ALBDAP November 4, 2016

"I have been taking 10 mg for 2 years with no side effects. Before that I tried some non beta blocker meds and had all sorts of problems. Bystolic lovers my blood pressure better than others. This is a great medication. If you experience problems sleeping or dreams a lot at night, take it a little earlier in the afternoon. I take it at 5 pm and I sleep just fine now."

Joelab October 12, 2016

"I am 23 and 123 pounds and I only take 2.5 mg of bystolic. Even with such a low does I have side effects! Insomnia all the time, low energy, I've fainted and often get dizzy, low sex drive, my feet and hands go numb. I have always been a very energetic person, now I feel like I'm too tired to do anything! I've tired everything from workingout to extreme healthy eating and I can't get off of it. This medicine is terrible."

SaraJSA September 16, 2016

"I was switched yesterday to Bystolic 2.5 mg and my doc said I could take it at any time of day, either with or without food. Within 30 minutes of taking the smallest dose, I felt the extreme intoxication feeling another reviewer felt, dizzy, and foggy-headed. I woke up in the middle of the night with my arms tingling and numb, several times. Day 2, I'm sitting in my office shaking my arms so they have some sensation to type, my feet are numb, and my tongue feels tingly. I have had no appetite at all, but forced myself to eat some almonds for protein. I'm not over or under weight or nauseated. I just don't want to eat. I cannot gather a thought long enough to speak it from my tingling mouth. THERE WILL NOT BE A DAY 3!!!"

yabbadabbadoooooo September 15, 2016