User Reviews for Bystolic

Learn more about Bystolic.

Bystolic Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 347 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure

"I have been on this medicine for a year now. I have recently realized ( from seeing a new Dr) that I should not have been put on this med. I have to see a cardiologist to get off of Bystolic10 !? Really!? I wish I knew that before I was prescribed this. It's never really kept my blood pressure in check 100%....so I wanted to stop taking it. But when my Dr said I had to see a specialist I was annoyed. I have come to learn that this med is why I have put on so much weight, feel so tired, deal with numb hands. "

Krissy P February 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This is my first time on any high blood pressure medication. My new primary care physician noticed that recently it's been high during my visits so he decided to put me on Bystolic. The day he put be on this medication, (before I started it) I was driving to work in the morning and suffered what I can only assume a panic attack feels like (which is why I went to my doctor later that day). My heart was pounding through my chest, my face and arms went numb, chest pain and dizziness. Anyway, I have been on it for less than a month and have seen no negative side effects yet and my BP has been normal. The only reason I didn't give this a 10 is because I have only been on it a short amount of time. We'll see if I get the same results over time."

Alec Station January 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Bystolic did not help lower my blood pressure as my other blood pressure medicine just recently had to be doubled. I have taken the medicine for 10 months and at my last doctor's appointment I realized I have gained 22 pounds in the last 10 months without any changes to diet or activity level. Also I have felt disconnected from my life and have had absolutely no sex drive. This medicine is not for me. I paid $50 a month for a drug that caused me to gain 22 pounds that I now have to lose."

ALBDAP November 4, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking 10 mg for 2 years with no side effects. Before that I tried some non beta blocker meds and had all sorts of problems. Bystolic lovers my blood pressure better than others. This is a great medication. If you experience problems sleeping or dreams a lot at night, take it a little earlier in the afternoon. I take it at 5 pm and I sleep just fine now."

Joelab October 12, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am 23 and 123 pounds and I only take 2.5 mg of bystolic. Even with such a low does I have side effects! Insomnia all the time, low energy, I've fainted and often get dizzy, low sex drive, my feet and hands go numb. I have always been a very energetic person, now I feel like I'm too tired to do anything! I've tired everything from workingout to extreme healthy eating and I can't get off of it. This medicine is terrible."

SaraJSA September 16, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was switched yesterday to Bystolic 2.5 mg and my doc said I could take it at any time of day, either with or without food. Within 30 minutes of taking the smallest dose, I felt the extreme intoxication feeling another reviewer felt, dizzy, and foggy-headed. I woke up in the middle of the night with my arms tingling and numb, several times. Day 2, I'm sitting in my office shaking my arms so they have some sensation to type, my feet are numb, and my tongue feels tingly. I have had no appetite at all, but forced myself to eat some almonds for protein. I'm not over or under weight or nauseated. I just don't want to eat. I cannot gather a thought long enough to speak it from my tingling mouth. THERE WILL NOT BE A DAY 3!!!"

yabbadabbadoooooo September 15, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"47 yr old 212 lbs .I have been on 50 mg per day of metoprolol tartrate for 5 yrs. Doctor decided to try me on 10mg Bystolic after I complained of some fatigue and light sensitivity. took it 3 weeks I loved it at first, I had a lot more energy, didnt have the usual muscle weakness, but noticed my libido was higher in the afternoon and waned off towards the evening as the medicine wore off so did my interest in sex. I also noticed that my social anxiety returned. I have always attributed the metoprolol to helping me feel calm. I was having some friends visit so I went back to the metoprolol and my anxiety definitely went away. although now I feel twice as tired. I am on the fence with this med. because of the social anxiety. (sigh)"

reace August 26, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My doctor started me on this. The very first pill I took, I experienced what can only be described as extreme intoxication. My speech slurred, I fell and stumbled, experienced double vision and eventually either passed out or went into a deep sleep. I have not taken any other medications, so this was not an interaction. Never again, folks. I'm glad it works for some people, but that was one of scariest medication side effects I ever experienced."

LouLouIsMyNicknamd August 13, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am ashamed to admit I have taken this drug for over a year because I have to be pretty stupid to allow a drug to take so much living away from me. I used to ride my horse, do my own construction work, and just enjoy life! Now, I know what depression is. I struggle to sleep ten hours A WEEK! I have very little functioning memory. I am so angry. If you happen to be at a doctor appointment when one of the drug reps is hauling in the free food and free drug samples, you'll wonder by her attire just what she is selling. Yes, I told my doctor over and over about the problems and her answer is MORE DRUGS! Anti-depressant, sleeping pill, and the list goes on. I tried to get myself off of it but can't because of rebound."

Corpse August 4, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was taking carvedilol 3.125mg bid and it stopped working shortly after starting a stressful job and a death in my family. I wasn't able to get it under control so my cardiologist started me on bystolic 10mg qd. I was pleased with it's quick results bringing my BP down to the normal range. Now I have realized that I am tired all the time, I have no sex drive and I don't really care about much of anything. I can sleep all day on my days off. I have gained 30 lbs over the last year! I got my old rx filled today for the carvedilol and along with diet and exercise, I'm hoping to get back to my old self again. I can't deal with the fatigue anymore. Not to mention the price of $60 per month."

Fleakaye (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I tried by Bystolic when it first came on the market and after several days experienced what I believe a heart attack would feel like had the same issue with 2 other beta blockers doc made the choice to stay away from the beta blocker class but at 33 my body said something was wrong after many tests and docs I learned I had tachy-Brady syndrome my blood pressure on 5 meds was high and my pulse was climbing averaging 120 the option I was given was surgery or medication so I tried a slight dose 2.5mg of Bystolic and as they warned me it dropped my pulse so much i couldn't function but half of that dose has lowered my heart rate enough to get me into the safe zone and my blood pressure is slightly lower with no side effects"

Az mom July 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Been on bystolic for labile hypertension for one year. Medication is somewhat assisting with the high readings; but, severely detrimental with the lows (91/55). Cardiologist said this is the best medication for labile hypertension but I believe it makes me drop too low at night. Only on 2.5 mg and doctor wants to increase because I still get reasons of 120/92 in mornings. May have to search for new medication because this one is not ideal for laabile hypertension."

Crystalbzb June 11, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Didn't reduce my pressure the way I wanted, usually between 130/80 to 140/90. Was good for my rapid heart rate and usually brought my diastolic rate down. Unfortunately, I became tired a lot which I cured by taking good vitamins from GNC. It calmed me from occasionally anxiety. It made me sleep well and I stopped having headaches. Unfortunately, I had acne, which I have never had in my life, labored breathing, some hair loss, blurred vision and I became very anxious after six months of being on the drug which made my pressure escalate . I have switched medication now and my doctor is weaning me off slowly. I have gone from 10mg to 2.5mg. It's a great drug if it works for you, but it is not for everyone and the side effects vary."

Madison Baby (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Bystolic reduced the blood pressure, but it comes with the price. Chaotic sleep, low energy level, loss of interest in the previously enjoyed activities, and a substantial weight gain Weening down from the whole pill to a half, and looking for natural ways to reduce my BP."

Tranquil Oasis May 18, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It never helped my blood pressure, it caused nightmares and rapid weigh gain. Ten pounds gained without changing diet. Severe pain in hip. Fatigue l had never had before. I felt as if I were what I would expect a 90 year old to feel like! I started walking and took myself off the medication and now my blood pressure is 106/76."

Nan2 May 7, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed Bystolic 2 weeks ago to control HBP. It was 194/104 at the Dr. Office. I had previously been prescribed Zebeta, which I liked, but it caused my heart rate to go down to 40 bpm. It also caused some stomach issues, but did lower my BP. Then I took ramipril, and had a horrible cough, burning in my chest, and my throat swelled up almost immediately. I am very sensitive to medicines, and only take 2.5 mgs of this, and it lowers my BP at that dose, but it sitll creeps up during the day. Also, it completely kills my appetite, which I can live with for now, and also some stomach upset at first, but seems to be getting better. I hope they don't up my dose. I like having very few side effects. Good luck"

MoreBubbles May 5, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After a few decades of high blood pressure, my new doctor switched me to Bystolic. 2 days later, I was within normal range for the first time. I absolutely love the results of this med. I have had very vivid dreams, insomnia, and tiredness during the day. I was willing to deal with that. Here's the problem...I started with a "coupon" which was to make my maximum monthly cost $30. I filled the prescription in April, and it cost $30, but in May, it was $65. The pharmacy was told that the coupon "changed" May 1. I called the coupon administration office, and was told the same thing. However, the coupon says right on the back that it is valid until December 31. I feel I was deceived! I have asked my doc to switch me to something else."

Brokemarymag May 2, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Metoprolol controlled my rapid heart rate and lowered my blood pressure, but after taking it for a couple years, my sense of smell and taste were dulled to the point where I could sniff cat poop and hardly even grimace. All food was bland and uninteresting. You'd think this would have allowed me to lose weight, but I stuffed my face anyway, hoping that the next bite might taste like something. No luck. My doctor said that Bystolic is the latest and greatest - fewest side effects, so I gave it a try. I'm starting to get my taste and smell back. It's worth the money."

Kamalani March 3, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My life has changed significantly the last few months. I'm felling like totally lost my energy levels and fighting to keep the interest for anything. I start to think that I developed kind of sickness like anemia or something else. For sure I decided to investigate and find the root cause. Today I saw the Bystolic reviews here and the preview comments is exactly like mine : "It was effective in lowering my blood pressure from 150/95 down to 128/83 on average. However, this drop came at a tremendous expense to my lifestyle." I myself have felt very low energy, occasional dizziness, sexual and general lack of interest in anything. My appetite dropped and I stopped feeling life inside me. So, I decided to see my doctor and stop it."

Mr. Consorte (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 29, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It was effective in lowering my blood pressure from 150/95 down to 128/83 on average. However, this drop came at a tremendous expense to my lifestyle. I've felt very low energy, occasional dizziness, headaches and general lack of interest in anything. My appetite dropped and I stopped feeling life inside me. In a nutshell, harmful side effects make this drug ineffective in solving BP problems"

BorisSFL February 1, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had high blood pressure since I was a child. I have tryed many different meds for this problem. I had bad reactions to many of the poplar blood pressure meds and I am highly allergic to red rice so colesterol meds were no an option. I fired my doctor and went with a new doctor that prescribed bystolic it changed my whole life I am forever in his debt. I went from having multi side effect to almost none in 2 weeks I felt like a new person."

Andrew888 January 13, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Been taking this for over a year with minimal side effects. It lowers heart rate and metabolism. However, make sure your doctor determines the cause of your hypertension. If you are not responsive to different blood pressure medications, asked to be checked for aldosteronism!!!"

Getting old too December 4, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"37 year old male, extremely fit, 2 time Iraq deployed, still Active Duty Army. Blood pressure sky rocketed after my first deployment in 2004/2005. VA prescribed lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide. Struggled from the start with severe headaches and very high pulse for over 10 years and thru a second deployment in 2010/2011. VA refused to change meds even though my BP and pulse were never stable. Finally manned up and switched to a civilian doctor a month ago. He immediately told me to cease the VA's medicine and put me on Bystolic. I've never felt better. BP during exercise hasn't been over 124/71, pulse 105ish, lowers to 115/60ish thru out the day and my pulse is a beautiful 58-70 at its highest during the stresses of daily Army work."

Shaun Hall (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was horrible. It did fix my blood pressure, but while on it I fainted once and I didn't have the energy to work outside. I'm 38 and it made me feel like an old man. It took several weeks to ween off and another month to feel 90% better. My eye is still twitching after being off of this for a month."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm a 54 years old non-smoker, 5'8"/145 lbs & healthy all of my life. Developed labile hypertension 5 years ago. Dr. first prescribed 25mg metoprolol in 2010, dose increased to 50mg in 1/2014. BP was controlled on Metoprolol but still not always ideal. Dr. felt metoprolol was the best med, since it has been around for decades with a proven track record. New dr. this past April gave me some samples of 5mg Bystolic. I have been taking it for about 6 weeks and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! No fatigue, no depressed feeling & better exercise tolerance-HIGHLY recommend. BP great! Give yourself 2-3weeks to adjust to new med. Drawback it is more expensive than Metoprolol, but it's worth it."

Momofgigi June 15, 2015