User Reviews for Bystolic

Mitral Valve Prolapse  Off-label
8.9

Reviews for Bystolic

Jefferson Jakes April 11, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I have had high blood pressure for years and take all the types of medications for it. One appointment a couple of years ago I complained to my doc about feeling very weak sometimes so he prescribed Bystolic and it does wonders, gets me back on my feet.”

PatientL · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I trialed Metoprolol, Diltiazem, and Coreg prior to Bystolic (for treatment of PSVT, atrial tachycardia, PAC's/PVC's). Metoprolol made me ill, Diltiazem was ineffective and caused me to hear my heartbeat all day and night long, and Coreg was great at lowering my HR, but inefficient at preventing my palpitations and SVT events. I've been on Bystolic (lowest possible dosage) for 2-3 months and my palpitations/events have drastically been reduced. My HR has gone from 115 resting to about 90, which I am so thankful for. I was hesitant to take this medication because of other patients' reports of headaches, but I take mine before bed and have had no issues. I can't say that I've had any side effects, to be honest. I'm really impressed with this drug. It's given me back a bit of normalcy in my life.”

Azot629 March 19, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I have had extremely high blood pressure (195/100 -259/105) since January after an injection I received which landed me in Emergency room 3 times and 19 doctor visits since then. I used to have had elevated ( 130/98 - 138/99) blood pressure but nothing like this. 5 medication changes since this episode and nothing helped. Finally, a new MD switched me to Bystolic yesterday and within minutes I felt tremendous relief. I even slept the whole night though without pounding heartbeat in my ears, no headache upon waking, for the 1st time since January 26th after the injection experience. It’s been pure anguish for a few months. I still have many tests to go through to find out what caused this. I’m usually very active riding horses, yoga, riding my peleton bike, walking 8 miles a day on the ranches. But all came to a screeching halt since that day. But today, I even did yoga without dizziness!! Praying for continued success with this drug and I will update if things change.”

Struggling October 26, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was started on 5mg bystolic 4 months ago. It took me to a very dark place. So tired I couldn't function, no concentration, legs and shoulders hurt, dont care about nothing or no one. It did slow down my racing heart. I have been borderline diabetic for 5 years but last test showed I have crossed the line, my doctor said the bystolic probably push me over the line. It can mess with your sugar level. Wish he had told me that before I took it. He cut me back to 2.5mg . My energy came back some but I still have no motivation. My spark is gone. Still have pain in legs and shoulders and neck. The simplest of task is overwhelming. My doctor is determined to keep me on it. He thinks all my symptoms are just in my head. I guess my A1c can be made up in my head. He wants me to try depression medicine but I decline. I was happy and motivated before I started this mess. I just want to feel good again not blah all the time.”

Loretta · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was having trouble with my previous blood pressure med. So my MD office put me on Bystolic to try and gave me a months worth of samples, Thank goodness didn't have to pay copayment. It didn't bring down my blood pressure at all. I gained 8 lbs in 4 weeks from fluid retention, I'm tired all the time when I took it, and I have wheezes from being short of breath! And I needed to be taken off of work for 2-3 weeks because of the fluid retention in my legs. I would not recommend this drug to anyone. It gave me nothing but grief and side effects are scary and they don't go away instantly it takes a few weeks for them to leave my system. Please don't take this medicine.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Almost one year ago I started taking bystolic. This past year has been a horrible year for me. I have had sinus surgery, lung rinse, taken every antibiotic known to man, several inhalers, albuterol, Flonase, nasal rinses, mucinex, Claritin, allergy test, CT scans, breathing test, chest X-rays you name it I’ve had it. This congestion coincides with the start of taking bystolic. Since my drs. Are not finding any answers for my condition and meds and tests are not working I have decided maybe it is the bystolic and will stop taking it. I am praying and hoping this will finally get me back to a normal life.”

Brynn · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I’m female age 55 no history of heart / BP issues. But extreme work stress plus caregiving knocked me off healthy routine in recent years, BP rising at every dr appt. Also woke up every morning w/ racing pounding heart plus PVCs (extra beats). A month ago I saw primary care dr for another issue, my BP was 180/98, he put me on Bystolic 5 mg immediately and did an EKG. Bystolic worked RIGHT AWAY. Heart quiet at night, no racing, no extra beats. I could not recall last time my pulse was under 100 — now it’s always in 80s. Occasional cold hands / feet & insomnia, 1st week on drug I had fatigue and muscle weakness but that is gone. Now back on gym routine, my daily BP is 118/75 or LOWER, slowly getting back to good habits. Notice I have less desire to drink alcohol. Dr gave me free samples and coupon so w/ insurance I pay $35 for 3 months. Great drug for me, knock wood.”

Aggies95 · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I took this drug Bystolic for less than one week. In that time my blood pressure went up but not down. I had a strong tremble in my right arm and hand that never stopped. I had to get new eyeglasses as I couldn’t see well enough out of the ones I had and every night I woke up confused and had no clue where I was. I stopped the medication and it took another week to feel right again. Do not take Bystolic I beg you. There are ample antihypertensives to choose from. I feel this should be taken off the market or have a black box warning.”

Ghost-Person · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I’m 29 (female) and have a minor valve issue along with tachycardia. It surfaced as heart palpitations and my heart racing so fast I could barely breathe. I was taking metoprolol 25mg twice a day for almost 2 years. It was okay, but I still had symptoms off and on, sometimes they got bad. I had a bit of weight gain over time, nothing that seemed unhealthy, but then I developed extreme dryness/dehydration issues. I switched to some free samples of Bystolic 5mg and I’ve only been on it for 4 days, but so far I hope it works. It controls my heart Way better than metoprolol, and my energy level is better. I feel myself again mentally, and I didn’t even realize I was feeling different before. Not to mention my bloating has gone down. Here’s hoping it works for me.”

Gina December 29, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Bystolic works for me with very "few" side effects. Aged mid 40's, female, Typical reading prior to taking was 175/120 pulse125. Now-Bystolic 5mg for 2 mo. my BP is 125/65 Pulse 60. A major difference and my headaches went away that I previously had, (due to HBP). I think it depends on the chemistry of the individual and pre-existing health conditions, that one may have. Based upon my own experiences while taking this medication, I feel so much better, minimal reactions (NO anxiety or depression, actually much calmer, and I am a very hyper individual, constantly on the move). It definitely helped me!❤️One time, accidentally overlapping the time frames that I normally take it I experienced an adverse effect taking it 2 hours earlier one day(by accident)than the usual time and my pulse decreased to 45 BPM and my BP actually increased! I experienced dizziness, almost fainted. Mimicking an overdose. Taken the same time daily, it is very effective!”

twinkletoesnshoes · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was told by my Doctor Bystolic was the Cadillac of BP meds. He handed me 6 months worth of samples 5mg..and sent me on my way. This was my first experience taking BP meds.. Female early 50's with stubborn BP that is UP, down, UP, down...UP UP UP at the doctors office. It had to be within the first week of taking this "TOP of the line" med that I started having awful vivid nightmares. Also, the worse part was the deep DEEP muscle pain that came in waves. At first I thought I was just sitting weird 'all the time". Woke me up in pain in the middle of the night too. Made it thru until my refill at 6 months. I asked to be removed from this product, I honestly could not take it anymore. The muscle pain and nightmares were awful. As soon as I got off this med, I was 95 percent better. No nightmares and muscle pain is rare. This was 4 years ago and the options out there are very limited to side effects. This is nuts. All this to say Bystolic was a huge HUGE problem for me.”

Lex December 10, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I'm 24 and I've been on Bystolic for 3 months now. I love it. Always have high energy when I wake up, I take it at night, blood pressure went from 175/102 to 113/72. Also brought my HR down. It was running between 107-138 and now is about 72 bpm. Only thing is loss of appetite.”

Timbo delaslice October 14, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on metoprolol 100 for about 1 year it caused anxiety, heart palpitations, dizziness, tiredness a general ill/ bad feeling. My doctor finally offered new medicines and the Bystolic 10mg is the best thing that could have happened for me. I was nervous at first because of my experience with other beta blockers, honestly apart from taking it every morning, I forget I have a condition. No side effects! When I was researching Bystolic I found bad reviews but after using it for 3 months now, I had to leave positive remarks. What a great medicine. ”

Tony · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Bystolic for 3 years for high BP and Mitral Prolapse. I'm 62. it was very effective at first for BP. The dosage raised over time from 5mg to 20mg. Now less effective for BP- Prolapse has evidently not worsened. I frequently feel tired now. I exercise regularly but requires more effort when on this drug. My other complaint is chest pain and low heart rate, face rash and often have a pounding heart sensation. My goal is to lose 25lbs (Im 5'11 218 pounds) in the hope that I can stop taking this med. The side effects are numerous for me and I worry about the longer term impact since it slows your hear rate so much. I will be seeking advise for an alternative med. The chest pain is the most worrying symptom (my stress tests/ calcium scans are good.”

SantanaDrummer · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “First dose in 16 minutes my body was completely numb. After the first dose I took it ONLY right before bed. Within two years I hated everything I used to love. Distanced myself from everyone and I truly believe it altered my way of thinking. Bad News Drug FDA!!!!!! PULL THIS BYSTOLIC !!!!!!!!!!!!”

Shelly · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 22, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “After trying many commonly tolerated BP drugs (which I did not tolerate well) I was given Bystolic 2.5. It controls my BP nicely, not making it too low, and I've had little to no side effects. I've been on it for 5 years now and take it daily. I am a 51 year old woman, in good health.”

DesperatePeg · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I am going crazy on this drug. I have been on several BP meds and none worked. Put me on Bystolic 10mg numbers were not good. Felt like I was going to die most days. Severe ear pressure, ringing and sensitivity. Insomnia, numb hands and feet, headaches constantly, severe fatigue, anxiety, shaking, stopped doing everything, stopped meds on my own. Will I ever feel better? Feel like I’m gonna die!”

Texas Expat July 19, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “58 year old male caucasian, overweight, non smoker, non diabetic, low total cholesterol, low HDL, high Triglyceride. Been on Diovan HCTZ 320/25 for years. In last year, 2nd blood pressure medicine -amlodipine was prescribed to hold 130/80 on average. Developed severe leg swelling at 10 months. Switched to toprolol but developed fatigue, then switched to Bystolic 5 mg/day about two months ago. Immediate dramatic reduction in blood pressure to 110/60. No problems in energy level. Heart rate is definitely lower and gets very low (down to 45 bpm when awaking) but no other adverse symptoms. Feel great so far. I feel somewhat calmer. BP has started to climb back to 125/70 in last week. Very pleased so far”

Shaun Hall · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: “37 year old male, extremely fit, 2 time Iraq deployed, still Active Duty Army. Blood pressure sky rocketed after my first deployment in 2004/2005. VA prescribed lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide. Struggled from the start with severe headaches and very high pulse for over 10 years and thru a second deployment in 2010/2011. VA refused to change meds even though my BP and pulse were never stable. Finally manned up and switched to a civilian doctor a month ago. He immediately told me to cease the VA's medicine and put me on Bystolic. I've never felt better. BP during exercise hasn't been over 124/71, pulse 105ish, lowers to 115/60ish thru out the day and my pulse is a beautiful 58-70 at its highest during the stresses of daily Army work.”

omg my heart · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on bystolic 10 mg 6 days ago. So far my bp has gone up..as high as 179/107, and heart rate has dropped to 40.., chest pain arm pain just like having heart attack confusion,, swelling and unable to sleep. I took myself off the stuff today there is no way I will take any more. I was much better before being prescribed bystolic”

DennSaw June 3, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed this medication for high blood pressure. It DID lower my blood pressure, and for about 6 weeks I had almost no adverse reaction. I was prescribed 10 mg, but only took 5mg because I am sensitive to medicines and anesthetics. Vivid dreams, insomnia, sleepiness during the day were tolerable, but I soon developed double vision, pain in my upper body, a rash and increasing weakness and balance problems. I weaned myself off slowly--my last dose was in February 2014--I still have tremors, difficulty walking and extreme weakness. I cannot recommend Bystolic.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: “I am a 45 yr female who developed high blood pressure 160/100. I took Lopressor for 3 months and hated it. I am a pretty fit and active person and on Lopressor I became so sluggish and tired I couldn't function at all. My doctor gave me Bystolic one month ago and I love it! I feel like myself again. No side effects at all. My heart rate stays normal all day! Anyone feeling really bad on medicine they are taking should ask doctor to try this medicine. ”

Tiredofthis March 3, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I monitor my BP daily. Was anywhere from 140's over 80's with some spiking highest 176 over 86. Could hear it pulsing in ears. Thought was going to have heart attack or stroke. Went to Dr. and started me on Bystolic 2.5mg. Gave bunch samples to take. Took for 3 wks brought me occasionally to 130's over 70's but still having spikes. Went back to Dr. upped dose to 5mg. Am sitting here with BP 171 over 82. Have resorted to taking additional 2.5mg to try and get BP down. Since started taking, hands and feet are cold. Have numbness sometimes. Walk 2mile daily and exercise, now fight fatigue. Am out on couch by 7pm. Sometimes feel like going to pass out. Feel anxious and never had anxiety. Take no other medications have been relatively healthy all my 63yrs. with exception of extra lbs which have lost 20 and am working on getting fit. This drug is not working for me! Scares me more, now that have read the reviews. See Dr in 3 days plan on telling her give me something else.”

lww · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “I have taken several beta blockers over the years and they all have various side effects. I recently switched to Bystolic and my experience has been wonderful. I have not experienced any negative side effects. I have more energy, my heartbeat is steady. I have also been able to exercise without getting tired, which has helped me to lose weight. This medicine also seems to be working well with the thyroid medicine I take. It is a little more expensive but well worth the cost.”

Sally May 1, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Tried Bystolic yesterday for my BP. Took again today. Should not have but my other BP meds had given me so much trouble I had to quit taking them. Last night my pulse went down to 48. Today off and on up and having dizzy spells panic attacks. It seems that I stacked it up onto medications that had been doing that and it accentuated them. It seems to me unless you have a high pulse rate that these beta blockers are not good medications to use.”

Connie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “59 year old woman, had been very active and fit. An adverse reaction to a cold medication sent my blood pressure sky high and my doc put me on bystolic 5mg, which worked well for me for 3 months, until I started having awful side effects such as dizziness, extreme fatigue, numbness and cold extremities, etc. It was debilitating. Getting off bystolic was awful. My heart rate was through the roof, I had major tremors, panic attacks, and very high BP spikes for days. I had very intolerable side effects to other BP meds as well. I am 2 months off bystolic now, and 9 days off all BP meds. Blood pressure occasionally spikes, but generally not bad and coming down gradually. I'm able to exercise a bit again, and that is helping my blood pressure. But I still have slight tremors most days, still lightheaded and definitely more anxious than I ever was before I started any medication. I feel like I was poisoned, and recovery is very slow.”

SaraJSA September 16, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “I am 23 and 123 pounds and I only take 2.5 mg of bystolic. Even with such a low does I have side effects! Insomnia all the time, low energy, I've fainted and often get dizzy, low sex drive, my feet and hands go numb. I have always been a very energetic person, now I feel like I'm too tired to do anything! I've tired everything from workingout to extreme healthy eating and I can't get off of it. This medicine is terrible.”

Momofgigi June 15, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: “I'm a 54 years old non-smoker, 5'8"/145 lbs & healthy all of my life. Developed labile hypertension 5 years ago. Dr. first prescribed 25mg metoprolol in 2010, dose increased to 50mg in 1/2014. BP was controlled on Metoprolol but still not always ideal. Dr. felt metoprolol was the best med, since it has been around for decades with a proven track record. New dr. this past April gave me some samples of 5mg Bystolic. I have been taking it for about 6 weeks and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! No fatigue, no depressed feeling & better exercise tolerance-HIGHLY recommend. BP great! Give yourself 2-3weeks to adjust to new med. Drawback it is more expensive than Metoprolol, but it's worth it.”