User Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 2)

Bystolic Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic

vli · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

“Just started Bystolic 5mg. My fluttering is not well controlled but then I have not taken it regularly as when I first started taking it in the morning it made me sleepy and listless all day - I'm a cop and that did not work for me. Now I take it after lunch and that seems to help (my decision - did not consult doc). Seem to have rapid heartbeat incidents right after taking and sometimes when laying down at night. Since its new I will give it time - tried Lisinopril but it made me cough - for quite awhile AFTER I stopped taking it. BP seems ok so I will stick with it until next doctor visit.”

Kp · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

“This medicine was a nightmare. I was prescribed 10 mg but only took 5 mg. Side effects: horrible insomnia, neck stiffness on my right side, complete loss of appetite, fatigue, weight loss. I finally asked my dr to change meds...this med was driving me insane. I am now on Valsartan...still feel tired but at least I can sleep. Bystolic was HORRIBLE!!!”

Pick · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 25, 2019

“I'm a 30-year-old male, former college athlete, large frame and build. 14 months ago, I started Lisinopril and another beta blocker on a recommendation from my Cardiologist PA after another determining I have essential hypertension and was having issues with panic attacks and tachycardia. After about a month, I complained of the side effects of the beta blocker and switched me to Bystolic 5 mg. I noticed that I slowly began to gain weight but I thought it was possibly just a lifestyle problem. My instances of tachycardia and also my blood pressure both went down with the medication. The side effects I learned to live with were sleeplessness, dizziness, foggy memory, severe dehydration, especially after alcohol or a big meal, some ED, and just overall lethargy and cloudiness. And the weight gain. But I hung on to Bystolic out of fear for my cardiovascular system.”

Mimikat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 18, 2019

“I’ve been taking Bystolic since 8-18. My pulse rate dropped to 45 and blood pressure to 100/20. All my symptoms completely went away. No feeling my heart flutters, no chest heaviness. Now all that is great but immediately I stopped caring for anyone or anything. All I want to do is sleep although I take this drug at bedtime. As long as everyone leaves me alone I feel great but I lose my temper very quickly. I can’t exercise I have no energy. If I try to do anything active I can’t breathe. The loss of energy and motivation is ruining my life. Calling my doctor tomorrow.”

DesperatePeg · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2019

“I am going crazy on this drug. I have been on several BP meds and none worked. Put me on Bystolic 10mg numbers were not good. Felt like I was going to die most days. Severe ear pressure, ringing and sensitivity. Insomnia, numb hands and feet, headaches constantly, severe fatigue, anxiety, shaking, stopped doing everything, stopped meds on my own. Will I ever feel better? Feel like I’m gonna die!”

kong · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 26, 2019

“Bystolic seemed to work pretty good for my blood pressure, oddly enough it helps keep my heart rate in check (I have severe anxiety). It seems to slightly reduce my panic attacks as well. As for sexual side effects I have no clue, I am 55 years old and do not do it as often as I used to.”

Tiredofthis March 3, 2019

“I monitor my BP daily. Was anywhere from 140's over 80's with some spiking highest 176 over 86. Could hear it pulsing in ears. Thought was going to have heart attack or stroke. Went to Dr. and started me on Bystolic 2.5mg. Gave bunch samples to take. Took for 3 wks brought me occasionally to 130's over 70's but still having spikes. Went back to Dr. upped dose to 5mg. Am sitting here with BP 171 over 82. Have resorted to taking additional 2.5mg to try and get BP down. Since started taking, hands and feet are cold. Have numbness sometimes. Walk 2mile daily and exercise, now fight fatigue. Am out on couch by 7pm. Sometimes feel like going to pass out. Feel anxious and never had anxiety. Take no other medications have been relatively healthy all my 63yrs. with exception of extra lbs which have lost 20 and am working on getting fit. This drug is not working for me! Scares me more, now that have read the reviews. See Dr in 3 days plan on telling her give me something else.”

SantanaDrummer · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2019

“First dose in 16 minutes my body was completely numb. After the first dose I took it ONLY right before bed. Within two years I hated everything I used to love. Distanced myself from everyone and I truly believe it altered my way of thinking. Bad News Drug FDA!!!!!! PULL THIS BYSTOLIC !!!!!!!!!!!!”

Florida early retiree · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2019

“Was using Lisinopril /HCTZ 20/12.5 for 7 years with excellent results. BP usually 120/70. Occasional dips in hot weather, and adjusted dosage down. New MD was adamant about trying 10mg Bystolic for a year. BP control was erratic, and always high, usually 145/90 heart rate fell to 45 consistently. Low energy, leg swelling, face swelling, irritability, insomnia. Switched back, and suddenly feel 10 years younger. Bystolic was not a good choice for me.”

TY18202 · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2019

“I've been on Atenolol/Chlorthalidone 100/25 for 15 years and my controlled BP is average 95-105/65-70 my controlled heart rate/pulse has been in the mid-high 60's and I feel great! I asked my DR to let me try Bystolic 5mg for the mere reason of possible cause of med-induced ED- it hardly does anything for me- BP is now in the 150s+/110s+ and HR is 130+ NOT GOOD. Taking a 2nd 5mg only lowers the BP by 3-8/2-20 but does nothing for the HR. I feel absolutely horrible on Bystolic- sick stomach, raging headache beyond belief along with joint/muscular pain. Give me the old tried/true atenolol/chlorthalidone 100/25 and I'll deal with the "possible ED effects" otherwise!”

PTCon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 12, 2018

“This drug had some weird effects for me. I'm 21 and was on 5 mg for one year. I felt tired a good amount of the time, but I tried to remain active and exercise. When I did exercise, my endurance was great. I went from running 15 minutes a few times a week before this drug to running 45-50 minutes 4-5 times a week and I never really wore out. I think it was because it increased nitric oxide bioavailability. I just never wore out during exercise, but always felt like I could take a nap. Just weird. Also had the vivid dreams and made me apathetic. Just not something I wanted to be on long term”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2018

“I have been taking Bystolic since May of 2017. It seemed to be working, on occasions it would spike to 130-140 but for the most part stayed in the 115-125 range. Two weeks ago it started running in the 140's- 170's for some unknown reason! The lower range is still in the 60's-70' range. What is going on? My heart rate stays between 42-49. The lower the heart rate the higher the pressure!”

Carl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 14, 2018

“After trying a number of antihypertensives, all of which made me sick including lisinopril, norvasc, valsartan, irbesartan, and others (hyponatremia, anemia, insomnia, fatigue, depression), the last one they gave me was Bystolic 10mg. Felt bad, cold hands and feet, tingling feet, fatigue, insomnia, etc., so cut pills in half. On 5mg, tingling went away, but blood test found low sodium and anemia again, so I stopped completely. Now BP is higher than ever, and after 3 months my feet still feel cold, even on a hot day. Referred to a specialist. Fingers crossed.”

May · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2018

“If it were not for Bystolic I may have been dead long ago. I've been on it for three years no problams. My pressure can go 185/130 it keeps my diastolic where it should be. For the systolic I take candesartan which works well also no side effects. I take my meds at night that's when highest.”

Paula July 2, 2018

“I’ve been on Bystolic 5mg since March 2018 when I started to feel my heart flutter a couple of times a week. Besides the Bystolic I’ve been on lisonpril 40mg, Pravastatin 20 mg and 80 mg low dose aspirin for about 5 years. I’ve noticed what feels like dizziness, lightheadedness, and disorientation especially when I’m driving. And it always seems to be the right side of my head/face. Today I had a really bad episode(s) going to work and driving home. I had to pull over to the side of the road this morning until it passed but then it came back so quickly I couldn’t find a place to pull over so I ended up driving the rest of the way to work verbalizing your ok, your ok just to focus on something besides that feeling. Same thing happened on my way home. I’m terrified that I’m going to pass out or drive off the road and kill someone or myself. This med has also caused me to gain weight, lose focus and memory, diminished sex drive, can’t fall asleep.”

Diego May 4, 2018

“Been on it since 2014 my heart was fluttering over an entire weekend and went to hospital on Sunday night . They released me with the flutters still happening . On Tuesday I went to my doctor and he prescribed bystolic 20 mgs and been taking them now for about 4 years. I went from 20mg to 10mg at one point and all has been good. I never had any side effects. I can fall asleep in 3 seconds literally . My blood pressure is around 120-130 over 80. Pulse is 64-66.... so I have benefitted from this drug”

pelotasdad · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 27, 2018

“Bystolic has been the best of the beta blockers I have had to take following a massive type II thoracic aorta dissection about five years ago. I have had no side effects, my blood pressure is great, and it has produced the least amount of daily sleepiness and weight gain. I take 20 mg a day now. My cardiologist had me split the dosage into a night and day dosage, but Aetna decided they know better and I have to take all 20 mg at night. I am grateful that Bystolic works so well, but disappointed that my max heart rate is about 109 bpm now. I get tired very easily when hiking or cycling, making it harder to get in better shape, burn calories, and lose weight. I am alive, but can do fewer things with my teenaged sons. At 57 years old, I miss doing more things with them outside or some of the exercises I used to do. All beta blockers have the same effect on max heart rate, so there isn’t much I can do.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2018

“Put on bystolic for HBP. Did not help at all. Nauseated, dizzy, pressure in neck and head, upset stomach, heart flutters. Had to stay in bed for 3 days. Thought I was going to have heart attack or stroke. Still trying to get it out of my system after 4 days. Slightly better but still nauseated and heart still flutters.”

Aceman · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2018

“Been on 2.5 mg bystolic Daily for 2 weeks now. Half in morning half at night. At first only side effects I had were blurred vision and light headed after an hour of taking the dose. After 2 weeks I have many side effects. Dizziness, tingling wrists and feet, light headed. And feel some chest discomfort. Also I have no energy to walk or hike . Did I mention the lack of sleep at night. ..terrible.”

Wiskbroom · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2018

“One unique thing about this drug is my bp actually goes up for a hour or so after I take it. When I first took it I had similar side effects as when I was on metoprolol and lisinopril which was nausea, reflux and later sexual side effects and trouble sleeping. With my Bystolic most side effects went away and I have a bit of a sex life :)”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2018

“I took Bystolic 5mg for the first time in the morning and by late afternoon I all of a sudden felt flushed, really cold and started shaking badly. My wife took me to the ER and about 45 minutes later it subsided. ER Dr. could not say the Bystolic caused it but recommended not taking it again. That was last Aug. and I have not been the same since. I reported my experience to the FDA online for what it’s worth. Could have been anxiety/panic attack which I never had before. I got my BP down with diet, exercise, lowering stress and working with new Dr now. But if I do need to take medicine in the future I have no idea which one is the safest. But trying one and going to the ER is not going to happen to me again. As a society we need to treat the cause of high BP and other health issues not the symptoms.”

WorstBeta · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2018

“I had the side effects of extreme fatigue, & upset stomach to one whom has never suffered either. Stuff knocks me out like a sleeping pill. Took Atenolol for two decades with energy to spare & normal eating. Now my stomach turns audibly every day on this. Lost 15lbs, (that I needed) in 60days on this. Sleep 12+ odd hours a day where I've gone on consistent 7 hours my entire life before bystolic. Loathe it.”

Tj 1980 January 31, 2018

“Started 5mg Bystolic in July 2017. Lowered my BP to unsafe levels 90/50 as well as my heart rate 47 bpm. Could not sleep well 3-4 hours nighty and had a jittery feeling throughout the day. Reduced dosage to 2.5 mg. Even at that dose I experienced unsatisfactory results. Started breaking the 2.5mg in half and I'm sleeping better and my BP runs around 112/60. Still have the jitters however. I run daily and have difficulty getting my heart rate above 110. It's seems there's a price to pay for many medications, often more than I'm willing to accept. Quality of life issues.”

Neto 64 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 27, 2018

“Am so so scared and tired with no hope in future. I have a 15 years old daughter. I was on 2.5 mg and they increased my dose to 5 mgs in October. Since then I've had no proper sleep. My GP reduced to 2,5 mgs again but I need more to go 1,25 mgs or swap for another one. My lack of sleep interfere with everything please please any help ideas”

Sunshine247365 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2018

“Took Bystolic 5 mg for a year. Episodes short of breath while exercising. progressively tired with no energy. A general feeling of unwellness. To top it off, each month, it controlled my bp less and less. And I Gained 30 lbs. Never had any of these issues before! Switched to Atenolol 25 mg. Still tired but the feeling of unwellness gone. No more breathing issues while exercising. BP is controlled well. However, My hair is starting to thin (Never had hair issues before). My plan is to stay on Atenolol for now, FORCE myself to start exercising again, tired or not, lose the weight, start natural supplements to lower bp. Hopefully, once I lose weight/exercise more, I can get off the nightmare bp meds. I want my life back again. :(”