User Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 6)

Bystolic Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic

Anonymous October 1, 2011

“Bystolic 5 mg for hypertension has made me EXTREMELY sleepy, with considerable fatigue. Want to lay down all the time. Also have occasional diarrhea, headaches and have a lot of trouble with dizziness. It has not lowered my blood pressure but I am afraid of more side effects if I take a stronger dose. Am tired, tired, tired all the time.”

ladybug69 September 15, 2011

“I just found out I had high blood pressure in April 2011 from April till August I tried 7 different BP medicines and they were all to strong to say the least and made me sick to the point that I could not function and gave me severe headaches. My BP was all over the place way high then it would bottom out. My cardio suggested I try a beta blocker since I started having panic attacks as well and it would help my heart rate slow down a bit. I started Bystolic 5mg Aug 1 and found out that one was way too strong and they lowered my dose to 2.5mg and I started taking it at bedtime. Taking it at night really did the trick and the lower dose is much better for me and my BP is staying steady about 117/72. So far so good.”

Anonymous August 30, 2011

“Female 31 been taking Bystolic 2.5 mg for a year. It works great with your blood pressure along with heart rate. No major side effects on me. I say give it a try.”

Anonymous August 24, 2011

“I am a 22 year old male. Parents and Grandparents both had high blood pressure and passed it right on to me. I have been taking Bystolic for about a year now and had excellent blood pressure. HOWEVER, I am extremely tired all of the time. If I do not get at least 9 hours of sleep I am tried through the day. Before I started taking it I was fine on 7 hours of sleep. I even have to take naps sometimes because I just can't stay awake. I have chest pain about once a week that lasts for an hour or so. Doesn't hurt but very uncomfortable. Also have gained about 25 pounds in the past year. Blood pressure is good but side effects are rough.”

Greenie baby July 28, 2011

“It works best if I take it before bedtime, because it can make one very tired during the day, if it is taken early morning.”

MRSLEAL July 13, 2011

“I recently switched physicians and was placed on Bystolic after being on Benicar for over a year. Benicar did not control my blood pressure; but since being placed on Bystolic I felt the difference immediately. I had problems with palpitations, uncontrolled blood ptressure, sweating, hot flashes, and racing heart. I am now much calmer and my blood pressure is under control. The only side effect I am having (after being on this preescription for a week) is tiredness and a loss of appetite. I do get a little dizzy about an hour after taking the medication, but Benicar did the same.”

steppoff June 28, 2011

“Blood pressure was 158/105 average, now 135/80, feel great, no negative side effects. One thing, it takes longer on the treadmill to get my heart rate up. Once I get to about five minutes at 5.2 mph I'm good to go! 5 mg dose.”

Dcarbone June 3, 2011

“I'm a white male 27 years old. High blood pressure runs in my family on both sides. I've had high blood pressure since I was 23. I started with Norvasc 5mg and it was controlling it. When I turned 26 it got worse to stage 2 hypertensive and I got put on Norvasc 10mg. Had bad side effects from my knees down I got badly swollen knees, calves, ankles, toes. Then I was switched to Bystolic 5mg with a combination of Benicar HCT 20/12.5. Within days I had a drastic difference in my blood pressure. I had one side effect. I gained 15 pounds no matter my diet and exercise. My blood pressure went higher again and I was switched to Bystolic 10mg along with Benicar HCT for the last 2 months and I went from my BP at 160/105 to a nice calm 130/85. With zero side effects and I've never felt better.”

improving my health April 25, 2011

“I've been on Bystolic for a few weeks, and it's true that it controlled my rate very quickly. I have had a fast heart rate with apparently no cause they can discover. Like an average of 95, then 105 walking. Now, the rate is 68. Amazing. My pressure was also higher and now, it's better.”

Anonymous April 15, 2011

“63 yr old male with diabetes. I have 8 heart stents and after the last had trouble controlling my high blood pressure and pulse average 160/110 with a pulse of 110. I took Bystolic 5 mgs for the first time this afternoon from samples from my doctor. I was feeling better until I noticed someone on this forum mention diabetes. My normally controlled diabetes was 300! I haven't hit this high in over 15 years. Some part may be attributed to the fact that I just got a steriod shot in my back, but 300 is way high for me. My A1C is usually 6.8. ”

Anonymous April 5, 2011

“I'm a 24 yr old female with a chronic heart condition. In November I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, 131/105. The doctor placed me on lisinopril then added on bystolic. I've now have a blood pressure of 95/65 and feel tired a lot but on the plus side, no chest pain and decreased swelling in arms and legs.”

Anonymous December 11, 2010

“I've had uncontrolled hypertension for 10 years. My last visit to the doctor before being given 10mg of Bystolic with 40 milligrams of lisinopril and 25mg of hydrochlorothiziade, my blood pressure was 208/110 with a pulse of 120. My reading this afternoon, 4 months later, is 112/56 with a pulse of 84. NO side effects like I had with Tenormin a few years back.”

Anonymous December 8, 2010

“I am a 43 year old male. I recently was diagnosed with high blood pressure 190/104. My doctor started me on 5mg per day for the first month. Raised it to 10mg per day on the 2nd month and 20mg per day on the 3rd month. Recently I started having random and uncontrollable bouts of diarrhea. I am also tired all the time with low energy levels. I am an Electrical contractor, before I started taking this medicine, I was a high energy, multi-tasker. Now, although my blood pressure is under control, I am tired most of the time and at times I can't seem to think clearly enough to perform the complex logical tasks that my job requires. The Diarrhea is sometimes UNCONTROLLABLE.”

knottwild October 26, 2010

“Started off on Bystolic 5mg after having very high readings. I stayed on it for about a month before taking 2.5 mg. It was very effective. I was walking 4 miles a day. After going off of it my blood pressure shot up (about a month later) to 168/119. Because of the cost I was switched to a much cheaper blood pressure medicine, METOPROLOL 50mg two times a day. I do not feel like myself. Dizzy spells, tired and swelling. I will be going back on Bystolic. With BYSTOLIC I felt great. No odd feeling and my blood pressure was totally controlled. I am only 36.”

Anonymous September 17, 2010

“I was 29, dealing with stress that raised my blood pressure when I was placed on 10 mg of Bystolic. It worked immediately and I felt it had no side effects besides helping me sleep most nights uninterrupted. After taking the medicines for 8 months I began feeling lightheaded and got blood pressure in the neighborhood of 90/50 so I stopped use with support from my doctor. I've been getting healthy readings since . However, at my doctor's visit I realized I'd gained a pound a month since starting Bystolic. I first quit cold turkey, on my own- bad idea- I experienced mild vertigo and the "heavy leg" feeling some people have reported (which I also felt on the drug). Now it's out of my system and I feel great- much more alert, energized, and losing weight much more easily.”

Anonymous September 9, 2010

“I have been on this for about 4 years. It worked great and had no side effects. Had to stop taking it because it is too expensive.”

TooHot2Handle September 8, 2010

“I recently began taking Bystolic. Other then cervical facet injections, it's the only variation as far as medicines go. It lowered by hypertension in a day which was off the charts! I get episodes of nausea that are short-lived without warning. But here's my main issue, of which is somewhat bothersome. My libido has increased SEVERELY! I'm a married 38/F and typically it's an occasional thing that would happen when intended. It is a drastic change! I am curious if anyone else has had this issue or has any idea why this is happening to me? Thanks!”

Anonymous September 6, 2010

“Took Bystolic 5mg for a month. At first it seemed to be okay. I liked it because it did not make me dizzy but by the third week started getting side effects. First off I was so tired and no energy, thought it was me but no it was Bystolic. Then my shoulder joints started aching and kind of running down to my wrist in both arms. Not too bad but still there, and the last straw with me was when my left arm started to tingle on the outside of my forearm. Well started cutting them in half so now I was taking 2.5 mg for the last week and it made no difference. Every time I took the pill hours later my arm would start tingling along with the other side effects. Also another thing it made me gain ten pounds in a months time, also bloating.”

gzlnq9 August 30, 2010

“Was on Inderal for some 25 years, then switched (because of insurance reasons) to different (cheaper) high blood pressure medicines. After several attempts at these newer medicines, had to return to Inderal. For some reason, Inderal stopped working for me. Doctor switched me to Bystolic. WONDER DRUG! I no longer have palpitations, blood pressure is 120/70, no more nausea, no more dizziness, no more fatigue. Truly a wonder drug, at least for me. ONLY drawback, its expensive. But what price for feeling good and healthy again.”

Anonymous August 30, 2010

“I am 54 years old and have been on Bystolic since February 2009 due to high blood pressure. Started out at 10 mg for 3 weeks, dropped to 5 mg for 3 months and now at 2.5 mg. MD added 2.5 mg Norvasc as blood pressure started to rise slightly. Blood pressure now is 115/75 and heart rate 60-65 bpm. Feel great but cannot drop any weight with limited exercise (5'6" - 165 lbs). This drug has worked well for me.”

taybri2 July 26, 2010

“Not effective in lowering blood pressure. Side effects: fatigue, shortness of breath, pain in both calves, extreme hot flashes and nausea.”

Anonymous July 8, 2010

“I am a 44 year old female. My Doctor but me on Bystolic in February 2010. I read all the reviews and was nervous about some of the side effects such as weight gain. However, I have found that I love this medicine! It has been very effective in lowering my blood pressure! The only thing now is that I am now so physically fit aerobically from increasing my exercise regimen that now my blood pressure and pulse rate seem to be pretty low. (Sometimes in the 109/65 range and upper 40's to high 50's range heart rate) that I think my dosage might need to be reduced. Also, there is a profound calming effect with this medicine. I encourage anyone to try it!”

southern_belle May 22, 2010

“I am a healthy 39 year old AA mom of 3. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure after a stressful divorce and other life changing events. My doctor gave me samples of 10mg Bystolic. I went from 195/150 to 120/80-textbook. I take Bystolic in the morning on an empty stomach and it has a calming effect so I was also able to eliminate Valium and Xanax from my life! I feel amazing. The only side effect I've noticed is my left arm feeling like it's "thinking" about falling asleep. I'm okay with that as long as it's not tingling, numbness or pain associated with the stroke I might be having were I not managing my blood pressure. I also find that I can no longer make it off my normal 4-5 hours of sleep. I need 7-8 or I fall asleep in the middle of a sentence (LOL).”

jormar6 May 9, 2010

“I am 35 years old and my blood pressure which was an average of 150/90 was giving me headaches. My doctor prescribed me 5mg of Bystolic daily and my blood pressure dropped to 120/80 - perfect. Some side effects though. I experienced initial tiredness which waned and decreased sex drive. I haven't gained any weight but it really seems hard to lose any which I've been trying to do for a while. I think this is due in part because it's hard to keep your heart rate elevated when exercising. Overall a good drug - gets the job done.”

frynoodle May 3, 2010

“I have been taking Bystolic for about 3 months now and started to feel my hand and feet become numb. I only take 2.5 mg.”