User Reviews for Singulair

Singulair has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 189 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Allergic Rhinitis
Bronchospasm Prophylaxis
Summary of Singulair reviews 6.5 189 reviews

Reviews for Singulair

Han November 9, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I felt the need to write this review for anyone who is scared due to possible side effects. I was in here about a week ago reading through all the reviews just absolutely terrified. I told my husband I wasn't going to take it. I suffer from horrible sinusitis, and I've tried everything. My husband talked my down, and he said we would monitor my behavior closely. First night I took it before bed. I had every expectation to wake up in some kind of horrible headspace. I woke up after a good night's sleep and didn't feel any different. My symptoms we're about the same as well. I have consistently taken it for 7 days now and my sense of smell is coming back a little. I don't notice ANY side effects. I feel myself. If anything I feel happier because I can kind of smell again! It has only been a week, but it has given me hope. So if you are here trying to read reviews to make yourself feel better. Listen. I was completely psyched out about this too, but I am so glad I decided to take it.”

Angie March 9, 2020

For Asthma: “Be careful! After years of being misdiagnosed, I was given Singulair. Within 4 weeks, I no longer needed my nebulizer or rescue inhalers. I gradually became more tired, and extremely agitated. I began hearing voices in my own home and I live alone. It got worse, not better. One night, I was convinced someone was in my home. Every light in the house was on. I still kept seeing someone! Coming from a military background, and secure in owning firearms, I was searching my home with a gun. I was looking for an intruder who was NOT there! That was my final straw. I threw my Singulair in the garbage. I’m still agitated and frustrated. I am going to try over the counter medication deemed safe. I’m not sure how long the agitation and tiredness will last. I pray this will help someone. Please be careful on this medicine. For me, it’s not worth it. In 55 years, I’ve never seen anyone, or heard voices in my home, until Singulair. (5 weeks total taking it)”

MadmanMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 2, 2020

For Asthma: “While on this medication my asthma and allergies were almost non-existent. However, I also developed severe depression that almost took my life, anxiety, became easily agitated and had pain in my mouth and back. Since I stopped, I feel happier, more patient, less sore but my allergies have come back. If it weren't for the side effects, I would have kept taking it.”

Sandra62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I was given this medication Singulair for chronic nasal congestion and Rhinitis. After about 2 months, I started to notice my mood changing. I was more argumentative almost to the point of aggression. When I started to have bizarre dreams I then researched the side effects of this drug. Here is what was listed: mental/mood changes (such as agitation, aggression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, abnormal dreams, sleep-walking, memory/attention problems, depression, hallucinations, thoughts of harming yourself/suicide). I immediately stopped taking this medication (it wasn't helping that much anyway) and these side effects have stopped completely. PLEASE be mindful of ALL the side effects of any medications you are taking! I never would have believed that something to help with nasal congestion could cause such problems.”

Laz · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

For Asthma: “My asthma came back strong at about age 46. I tried everything. I couldn't exist without an inhaler nearby. Couldn't sleep at night for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Woke up constantly always coughing. Additionally always had sinus infections. This drug has been a life-changer for me. It is a miracle. I haven't experienced any noticeable negative side effects. The first couple days I had some dizzy spells but they subsided. I can't say enough good things about how this has helped me. I went to a couple pulmonologist several emergency rooms and urgent cares along with my primary no one ever recommended this finally I found a ra or PA I don't know but she prescribed this for me and I am forever grateful.”

jlw · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

For Asthma: “1.5 months on Singulair and so far very happy. I have not had asthma flareup since beginning Singulair. This is a big deal for me after 1 year of regular flareups. I rarely need to use my Ventolin, still on Breo daily. I can breathe through my nose which is very new for me :) The earlier reviews scared me, but so far no issues with anxiety. I did have some weird dreams at first, but that has lessened. I'm very glad for the progress so far.”

Dee Dee78 May 8, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “My doctor prescribed me singulair after my allergy test results came back. Went straight to reviews and seeing so many bad reviews I got worried. I have a history of anxiety and panic attack and people were stating it's only getting worse when you take singular. I even rang my doctor saying I'm really afraid to take them but he politely asked me to give them a go. Not only my allergies settled down and symptoms were really bad I must say. I got back my sense of smell, I could breathe through my nose again, my sleeping patterns improved a lot ( some people experienced nightmares after taking singular, in my case I finally could sleep through the night having nicest dreams ever)Anxiety and panic attacks went away. In my case it did wonders”

Dee-L · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 3, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have been taking this medication for a few years to treat allergies. At first I would get headaches, but they went away after a few months of use. I do not have anxiety issues with the use of this drug. This drug is a life saver for my allergy symptoms and I will continue to use this drug.”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

For Asthma: “After I got asthma three months ago I personally thought I was going to be the end of me. My breathing was difficult and was making me depressed. I started singulair 2 months ago. It took about 6 weeks for the medicine to fully work for me but now I feel wonderful. I feel 95 pro cent like before I got ill. No side effects for me. I totally recommend!”

AC · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Singulair worked great for my non allergic rhinitis and sinus. I stopped sneezing completely for 2 months on Singulair, I was able to breathe so much better, congestion relief. . Only issue was, I had severe anxiety and occasional panic attacks., even after cutting the pill in half, took every other day. I was truly discouraged, cause the med worked. Tried my best to continue med, but anxiety became overwhelming.”

Char · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2019

For Asthma: “I started with singulair a few months ago. Before taking it I would be awakened with wheezing, nasal congestion and just feeling like I could not get enough air. It has been a wonder drug, immediately all the asthma symptoms at night were relieved and stopped the early morning coughing. I occasionally have short term wheezing but nothing like previously and so far no side effects.”

Anony.mouse August 21, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing.”

MadMax · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

For Asthma: “I started Singulair some 15-20 years ago. After 12 months developed dry eyes (in the worst way) seeing problems (cataracts) and angina. After stopping taking the drug, the angina went away and so did the dry eyes. Cataracts were removed. Fast forward to 2018. Nothing was helping the Asthma and agreed to go back on Singulair again, after 6 months the same exact problems came back had to stop. Angina and blurring eye site. I am now on Symbicort now for 3 months and the same thing has started to happen. Both meds work very well, but the side effects are the worst”

Ditsyblonde · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

For Asthma: “I was on singulair for a couple of years and I have depression with tremors/muscle spasms. Since stopping the meds, the pain in my back next to my lungs has returned but depression is getting better. Tremors are still happening after 2 weeks of not being on this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2017

For Asthma: “I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!”

Kc · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “This medication really helped my allergies! It was so severe this year I was constantly uncomfortable. Felt like I couldn’t breathe. I was starting to think I had come down with the flu or another illness. This medication helped my allergies so much, the best medication I’ve ever taken for allergies!!”

Dr. Anne B · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I am a retired physician. Every winter & spring I suffer with horrible congestive episodes, once becoming so dizzy, I barely could get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. I saw an ENT doc who diagnosed me with vasomotor rhinitis, and stopped my Claritin. Spring came around & I was miserable again. I saw an allergist who did multiple skin testing & concluded I had no allergies-urban irritants caused nasal mucosal swelling resulting in my congestion. When my symptoms got worse, I was sent for a CT scan of my sinuses, & was found to have chronic sinusitis. Every year I still have seasonal recurrences of sinusitis. My new PCP decided to try Singulair (Montelukast) along with antibiotics & I can now breathe out of both nostrils. Yay!”

Will · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I only used this drug one time, and I took it to help with allergies. I took a 10 mg tab of montelukast at around 10pm. At 3:30am I woke up and had a panic attack. The whole next day I was trying to fight off panic attacks until around 8:30pm when the drug started to die down. I never took another. The panic attacks have stopped.”

CEeCee · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I cannot take Singulair. I have asthma. My symptoms are I can't get a full breath. I get very short of breath regardless of if I am sitting or walking. I have a constant runny nose so thought I would try Singulair. I was on it a week and it made my struggling to breathe worse. I stopped taking it and I feel much better. I think singulair made the mucous viscous and hard so I couldn't get rid of it. Hence, my breathing got worse. I get very very fatigued. I m sad as I was hoping this would work for me.”

Breathing again · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I am a lifetime allergy injection patient. I have been getting allergy injections for the past 35 years. I have had symptons of post nasal drip and clearing of the throat for as long as i can remember that the shots just wont clear up. I started singluar 10 days ago and my years of post nasal drip is gone. Yes!!!! gone for the first time for as long as I can remember.”

Gomo · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Honestly this medicine has helped my allergies drastically but my anxiety is off the wall. I’ve been on it for about 2 weeks... the first few days I was okay but around day 3 I stopped being able to sleep and started waking up with really bad anxiety and muscle/joint pains. I wish they could make this medicine without the side effects :(”

Joee January 17, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis: “This medicine changed my life. After 18 months of constant post nasal drip, coughing up sputum, sore throat, and nasal congestion, I think I may have finally found my answer. I have taken almost every medicine suggested to me and seen over 30 doctors. I was finally put on this for Rhinitis and Asthma and I started to notice a big difference by 4 days in. It has now been a week without coughing up sputum (something that I had daily for 18 months), and my congestion and breathing is significantly better. For some reason antihistamines and inhalers don't seem to help me, but Singulair does. I'm so glad that I tried this medication!”

Judi,Aussie October 29, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Have been on Singulair since it came on the market in Aust years ago. I call it my Magic pill with no obvious side effects despite having many other allergies. I didn't find it helped my hay fever though so take 1/2an antihistamine as well in summer when humid and winter when smoke from fires around. I went from high dose cortisone puffers and using Ventolin most of the day still being breathless and wheezing all the time to breathing free within 4 days of starting and off all puffers within the week. Due to cost about a year in was running out so cut down to 1/2 tablet which still left me free of the asthma so then tried a 1/4 and found this still worked, so have continued on this since then. ( to be continued as not enough space)”

stcarolyn · Taken for 10 years or more November 29, 2013

For Asthma: “Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic. ”

say1706 October 27, 2014

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I'm 49 and have suffered from allergic symptoms ever since I was a kid. Unquestionably it has reduced the quality of life. Anti-histimines were basically ineffective although I could significantly reduce my symptoms by a strict diet that was in the making over the last 30 years by observation (try eating foods high in anti oxidants). I do feel much better since taking Singulair, my nasal congestion is much better, feel no side effects. My only regret is not trying it earlier.”