User Reviews for Singulair

Learn more about Singulair.

Singulair Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 434 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Singulair to treat Allergic Rhinitis

"I have tried it several times in the past but have the same results. It does not control the steady flow of post nasal drip causing me to feel nauseated. I have better results taking 4 hour generic Benadryl."

Moma 1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not noticing anything different since taking Singulair a month ago. I still have to use my inhaler 6-8 times a day. (the good part is, I'm not noticing any side effects, either--it's as if I'm taking a placebo)"

Sheik Yerbuti (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe Allergies to tree pollen. I took my first dose of this and within an hour and a half I had severe shaking, chills and tingling tongue. Extreme headache. Sitting here wondering whether I should head to the ER."

Minicoopgirl May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed me singulair after my allergy test results came back. Went straight to reviews and seeing so many bad reviews I got worried. I have a history of anxiety and panic attack and people were stating it's only getting worse when you take singular. I even rang my doctor saying I'm really afraid to take them but he politely asked me to give them a go. Not only my allergies settled down and symptoms were really bad I must say. I got back my sense of smell, I could breathe through my nose again, my sleeping patterns improved a lot ( some people experienced nightmares after taking singular, in my case I finally could sleep through the night having nicest dreams ever)Anxiety and panic attacks went away. In my case it did wonders"

Dee Dee78 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use to get Singulair thru medicaid/medicare but it's no longer available thru that source. I would have to pay which I can't afford to do. However I am a satisfied x -customer and that is the best medicine I have ever taken for my allergy problem. It eliminated my use of my rescue inhaler daily as in the past. I noticed that I could go a few days or weeks even months without even taking the Singulair most of the time. Singulair helped very well to keep my allergy symptoms away and at bay. I now take a generic brand and it is not the same and I still have to use my rescue inhaler more than I did when I used Singulair. I would recommend Singulair to anyone."

Satisfied Customer January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a lifetime allergy injection patient. I have been getting allergy injections for the past 35 years. I have had symptons of post nasal drip and clearing of the throat for as long as i can remember that the shots just wont clear up. I started singluar 10 days ago and my years of post nasal drip is gone. Yes!!!! gone for the first time for as long as I can remember."

Breathing again (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My wife was on this stuff for at least a couple of years. She suffered severe tiredness, nightmares, irritability, and even suicidal thoughts, accompanied with severe depression! Although it did make her feel better the side effects are not worth it at all! She switched to flonaze and it is just as Good. Please, if you are on this medicine and have any of these side effects,please stop!"

Gcollins October 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, it did the job pretty efficiently, so it gets an extra star for that. However, I was left with and the next day a rash and swelling that started closing off my airways. It took 5 days to realize that it was a side effect of the drug. I stopped taking it and popped one benedeyl and the next day my throat was half it's precious size nd my face burned much less. Still recovering. It was so expensive and ended up doing this to me."

Dofromge (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 46-year-old woman that suffers from severe allergies and severe asthma since I was 12. I have been take the generic singular forever. It does nothing for me. I only take because both my pcp and pulmonologist insist I take it. I am miserable everyday. I still have to take a generic form on actives to get any relief. None of the others help either . Zyrtec, Allegera, and Claritan are worthless for me too. I am happy for anyone this drug helps. It is worthless to me.:-("

Miserable Sue (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish I had reported this to the FDA when it happened. I don't know how helpful my account of the side effects from many years ago would be now. However, I would like to share this somewhere, as what I experienced is not verified as a side effect but possibly suspected--- I don't want anyone to go through what I went through and not suspect this medication to be the culprit. After taking one dose of Singular in the evening, the next day, I experienced suicidal thoughts, severe anxiety, and a feeling as if I were being separated from my body (if that makes sense). I have no history of such problems, never took Singular again, and never experienced what I described again."

Hope this helps (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish I had reported this to the FDA when it happened. I don't know how helpful my account of the side effects from years ago would be now. However, I would like to share this somewhere, as what I experienced is not verified as a side effect but possibly suspected--- I don't want anyone to go through what I went through and not suspect this medication. After taking one dose of Singular in the evening, the next day, I experienced suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and a feeling as if I were being separated from my body (if that makes sense). I have no history of such problems, never took Singular again, and never experienced what I described again (as I said before, it has now been years since I took Singular)."

Worried for others (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started to get post nasal drip horribly over four months ago. tried every otc drug know for allergies, remove bedroom carpet, bought high end humidifier, air purifier, netti potted and drank four liters of water a day. Nothing helped and i would wake up every hour and a half coughing from mucus build up. This medication stopped my symptoms within 2 days. Its very expensive but worth every penny."

klaaja May 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Singulair causes symptoms in children that look like ADHD or ADD. It causes irritability, aggression, impulsivity, and hyperactivity in children. Before you treat your child for ADHD, try switching to an allergy or asthma medicine that isn't this or a corticosteriod"

ReviewPro (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried Singulair because I have nasal allergies that turn into nasty sinus infections every couple of months. I also have panic disorder, but it's well controlled with medication. I was only able to take Singulair for 4 days due to side effects, so I can't say how well it works. It made me so sleepy that I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day, and still tired when I was awake. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year, and my anxiety went through the roof on this stuff. My panic attacks were so bad, I was having trouble driving. I was also moody and irritable the days I took it. Luckily, all of the negative side effects went away within a couple of days of stopping Singulair. Stay away from this drug if you are prone to anxiety!!!"

StillStuffy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medications was given to me after blue cross and blue shield stop covering levocetirizine which i had taken for 7 years. Singulair is awful. Within 2 days i had nightmares so very vivid that was scary. The dreams would come in few minutes intervals during hours and hours of not being able to sleep at all. By the third day i had tremors in my legs which kept me awake anyways, during the day I thought about nothing then kill myself. By the fourth day i broke out in hives. That's when I stopped it. I would not recommend! I am very healthy athletic person and I love outdoors, this medication was debilitating."

Adair1974 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a retired physician. Every winter & spring I suffer with horrible congestive episodes, once becoming so dizzy, I barely could get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. I saw an ENT doc who diagnosed me with vasomotor rhinitis, and stopped my Claritin. Spring came around & I was miserable again. I saw an allergist who did multiple skin testing & concluded I had no allergies-urban irritants caused nasal mucosal swelling resulting in my congestion. When my symptoms got worse, I was sent for a CT scan of my sinuses, & was found to have chronic sinusitis. Every year I still have seasonal recurrences of sinusitis. My new PCP decided to try Singulair (Montelukast) along with antibiotics & I can now breathe out of both nostrils. Yay!"

Dr. Anne B (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this for headaches and eye irritation for allergies. Been taking it for a month. No improvement or change in symptoms. Drs office said it takes a few days to help symptoms ; pharmacist said it can take 4-6 weeks to build up on in your system. The generic is cheap but after a month, no change. Don't know if its med not working or mis diagnosis"

Sajam6 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never had allergies until I was an adult. Most of my allergies are at night making it unbearable and hard to sleep. Nasal congestion itchy eyes and mouth. This would continue into the morning. During the day time I would get constant ear pressure and cracking. My doctor put me on singular (generic was given from the pharmacy) and my symptoms have improved significantly but I get nose bleeds more often which is a side effect. I've been on it for three months now. Still get the occasional stuffiness in the morning but much better over all."

Thenga October 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe allergies everyday right when I get up in the morning. My nose just starts to run and drip. If I do not have tissues, my mucus would just drip on the floor. My allergies always go away around lunch time. I took generic singulair (montelukast sodium) everyday in the morning. Then I switched to the evening. I may have only missed one or two tablets throughout the 3 months that I took it, but my drip is the same as before. This medication does not work for me. I have tried the generics for Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec. Now I have tried the generic form of Singulair. All of these medications do not work for me. The only medication that works is Benadryl, but Benadryl makes me so exhausted and congested."

Nose Dripper September 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Our seven year old has severe bronchial inflammation due to a reactive airway. He had severe asthma reactions where he was full of mucus and fighting to breathe. The first day on Singular he was tired and grouchy, but has had no side effects, sleeps soundly, and has had perfect success with it, along with a daily asthma inhaler. A great relief"

Little man (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the last 6 months I have had allergies like never before in my 32 years. Constant nasal congestion and dry coughing. I have been miserable. OTC antihistamines were not cutting it, so My doctor put me on Xyzal and Azelastine back in June. This improved my congestion but after catching a cold in July I ended up with the same symptoms and a dry cough that would not go away. It kept me up at night and I was miserable. He put me on Singulair, and since then the congestion has improved and I can sleep through the night without coughing!"

Amyfromga (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been suffering from ETD for about two years. I've been on Singulair for about 4 months and it has dramatically improved my symptoms, no more ear crackling. Occasional tiredness and headache but it's tolerable. It has helped me tremendously."

Casscadav April 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff works pretty well, lets me sleep through the night during allergy season."

Tree pollen sufferer (taken for 10 years or more) November 30, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 49 and have suffered from allergic symptoms ever since I was a kid. Unquestionably it has reduced the quality of life. Anti-histimines were basically ineffective although I could significantly reduce my symptoms by a strict diet that was in the making over the last 30 years by observation (try eating foods high in anti oxidants). I do feel much better since taking Singulair, my nasal congestion is much better, feel no side effects. My only regret is not trying it earlier."

say1706 October 27, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing."

Anony.mouse August 21, 2013