User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

Asthma 72 reviews 141 medications

5.8
Summary of Montelukast reviews 198 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Montelukast

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been on this for several years now and it helps to keep attacks down significantly. I can breathe so much better and it seems to help knock down allergic reaction to many things for me."

Lpit180 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been suffering from asthma since the age of 7 and I was recently prescribed montelukast sodium after a bad chest infection which had me hospitalised. I have taken it previously about two years back as well. However since I began taking it this time I noticed I can't fall asleep, I'm badly constipated and extremely lethargic, depressed, irritable and get angered really quick. No medicine is worth feeling this way and I'm stopping this immediately. If a simple drug manifests such tangible changes in your body, imagine what it does to your body silently."

Su_88 December 26, 2016

For Asthma: "I have had asthma every since I was born, montelukast helps me breath every day if I don't take it I can't breath but it causes me severe stomach pains, sometimes anxiety, depression, red blotches one my face, I get the sweats and nausea. These are some of the long-term affects I suffer with I would not suggest taking it eternally"

Asthmagirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2016

For Asthma: "This medication is poison. I don't recommend. My 5 year old was on this for 3 months when I've notice her behaviour changed, a bubbly happy and active child, had turned into a sad, tearful, tired and unhappy child with every little thing making her angry and depressed. I urge anyone who's taking or is thinking of giving this to their child, as soon as u see the littlest of change stop!! It can really affect you or your child's life. If only I had researched or my child's dr had advised me well instead of brushing my worries under the table, I would have never given this to her."

Fearful mum December 13, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Was prescribed for asthma to get me off my inhaler so often. It worked but, I gained 6lbs in 5 days & started having random nose bleeds & waking up with lots of joint pain. Then I stopped sleeping more than 4 hrs a night & I was taking it it before bed. The days were filled with anxiety, brainfog & confusion. Too bad because it really did help control the asthma. I stopped taking it. I'd rather cough than be in constant pain & crazy."

Coco Cabana December 3, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "This medication worked wonders for my asthma! No wheezing and no longer needed my rescue inhaler. After about 2 weeks of taking montelukast my feet and ankles started swelling and my hands and feet started going numb. I eventually had to go to the ER and learned that I had extremely high levels of eosinophils in my blood and was advised to stop taking montelukast immediately. I have been off of montelukast for about a month now, and I am finally getting feeling back in my fingers and toes. If you experience swelling or numbness, get yourself to a doctor and stop taking this medication right away!"

ENFP (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

For Asthma: "I was prescribed this for a touch of asthma and bad allergic rhinitis. I took one half (5mgs). The next morning I felt nauseous and dizzy. Later on I developed a low grade fever chills and stomach pain got worse. It was the worse nausea I have had since I used to drink alcohol but without any relief.I do have gastritis in my stomach which could have contributed to my pain. Be careful if you have stomach issues!"

GodisloveJohn3:16 November 28, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I decided to try Montelukast(generic of Singulair) after a severe bout of cough/flu aggravated by my asthma; which lasted for well over 8 weeks. Initially I had a very bad headache for at least a week, unabating, and the unusual fatigue and tiredness regardless of what activity I did. The headache dissipated but the lethargy has continued and I never felt like I regained the energy I used to have. So this is very disturbing. I had hoped that after persisting with it for 4-5 months I would feel better but I don't. The tiredness pretty much starts almost immediately after I have taken the tablet in the evening. The other thing which is annoying is the stupid, senseless dreams which I find very hard to wake up from!"

cats_tale (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Although this medication seemed to help my allergy symptoms, my mental health took a terrible turn. For the last few months, I've been having crazy outbursts, going "from 0 to 100" very quickly on an emotional scale. I became super aggressive, could not stop crying, and would lay in the bathtub having suicidal thoughts. I know now that it was this medication, and my doctor told me to STOP taking it. These side effects could ruin someone's life, especially if the people around you don't understand why your behavior has changed. I've also been suffering from severe fatigue--fatigue that is much worse than my normal allergy fatigue. I'd recommend allergy shots instead, even though they are super inconvenient for many people!"

Elle215 November 22, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a lifetime allergy injection patient. I have been getting allergy injections for the past 35 years. I have had symptons of post nasal drip and clearing of the throat for as long as i can remember that the shots just wont clear up. I started singluar 10 days ago and my years of post nasal drip is gone. Yes!!!! gone for the first time for as long as I can remember."

Breathing again (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Since taking Singulair I have tooth pain, tingling in my face, and a bad metallic taste in my mouth. Plus my anxiety level went up, feel really tired, and very agitated. Stopped taking it last night. Hope these side effects go away soon. This metallic taste is driving me crazy! This is the 2nd time I've tried it. Same side effects and more."

Very ticked off November 5, 2016

For Asthma: "I have taken Singulair or the generic Montelukast for almost 2 decades now and have had excellent results on the drug. I almost cannot tell I have asthma while taking the medication, provided I am not exposed to cigarette, wildfire, or any other form of smoke. However, I want to share that I have had the experience now of taking three U.S. generics that I did not have excellent results on. Within about 30 days of starting the generic in each case, I began experiencing asthma symptoms as if I were taking either a placebo or nothing at all. Only one generic that I have found thus far has been as effective for me as the brand name medication, and the generic has unfortunately been discontinued by my pharmacy."

CA10 (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2016

For Asthma: "I came to this site to see if anyone else had the same experience with this drug. I had a terrible case of bacterial pneumonia six months ago and have developed asthma as a result of this infection. I live on a farm, am very active, and have suffered from seasonal allergies my entire life, which I managed with antihistamines. My doctor prescribed Singulair to lessen my inhaler use, and at first this drug was absolutely wonderful. Our prescription drug plan would only allow three refills from our local pharmacy, and now I receive a generic refill through the mail. After a few days of taking this generic rx, it was like taking an entirely different drug - the side effects are simply awful! Sadly, I won't be taking this drug anymore."

Mooberry November 1, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Since I moved into a new house I began having respiratory problems, occasional wheezing and breathing difficulty with exertion. Allergies came back negative and antihistamines had no effect so my dr gave me an inhaler and sinulair. I started on singulair first to avoid taking extra medications I might not need. From the first day on Singulair the mild symptoms I had improved but I also had a mild headache most of the time. By the 3rd day the headache became horrible, so much pain that I felt nausua and chills. I will not be taking it again ever."

hypersensitivity (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "My wife was on this stuff for at least a couple of years. She suffered severe tiredness, nightmares, irritability, and even suicidal thoughts, accompanied with severe depression! Although it did make her feel better the side effects are not worth it at all! She switched to flonaze and it is just as Good. Please, if you are on this medicine and have any of these side effects,please stop!"

Gcollins October 19, 2016

For Asthma: "Controls asthma, with little need for other meds. inhaler ect. No ER trips, no more one week out of every month hospitalized. We are sensitive to sulfa and found qualitest brand worked the best and didn't have white powdered silica drying agent all over it. That was in another brand and gave him asthma."

Son, taken 7 years since 2 yo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 18, 2016

For Asthma: "Both my mom and I got episodes of anxiety after trying this."

Terrible Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

For Asthma: "My 4 year old was prescribed this for asthma and i took him off it after hearing reviews about side effects. My son had a bad temper and was very aggressive but had been on singular since he was 2 so I didn't know if this was a stage he was going through or part of his personality. I took him off the tablets when I heard some bad reviews about suicidal thoughts and noticed very quickly how much happier and calmer my son became - he has not had angry outburst or wanted to hit anymore. I'm so disappointed that my doctors didn't warn me about how bad the side effects could be - I'm so pleased I've taken him of this and i also don't feel it helped his asthma much anyway."

lori 24430 September 30, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "This medication is extremely effective. Well on it for the very first time I did not get seasonal asthma or bronchitis. However I've been uncharacteristically sad and emotional. I've been talking to my friends about it because I can't understand why I'm being so emotional and sensitive. Today I looked at the bottle and saw the side effects. My emotions became unruly at the same time as I started taking the medication. I will be stopping it immediately"

Treula (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Well, it did the job pretty efficiently, so it gets an extra star for that. However, I was left with and the next day a rash and swelling that started closing off my airways. It took 5 days to realize that it was a side effect of the drug. I stopped taking it and popped one benedeyl and the next day my throat was half it's precious size nd my face burned much less. Still recovering. It was so expensive and ended up doing this to me."

Dofromge (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "After taking only two singulair tablets i experienced anxiety, depression & i couldn't stop shaking. I do not recommend this medication to anyone."

Clak (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My 12 year old son was presented Montelukast in February 2015 for Allergies. It helped really well with controlling reactions and I was happy with it. In Sept 2015 I started noticing that me son was becoming anxious about everything. He stopped playing out with his friends, going to youth clubs and scouts and we even had tears when he had to go to school. He developed a separation anxiety with me and began to have bad night terrors and sleep walking EVERY night, sometimes more than once. The last straw was when he developed a phobia of being sick after a tummy bug to the point that he was avoiding eating incase he bought it back up, he lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks. Hes now under a mental health service for support. This drug has ruined our lives!"

NikJJm September 10, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a 46-year-old woman that suffers from severe allergies and severe asthma since I was 12. I have been take the generic singular forever. It does nothing for me. I only take because both my pcp and pulmonologist insist I take it. I am miserable everyday. I still have to take a generic form on actives to get any relief. None of the others help either . Zyrtec, Allegera, and Claritan are worthless for me too. I am happy for anyone this drug helps. It is worthless to me.:-("

Miserable Sue (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2016

For Asthma: "My 5 year old son experienced terrible nightmares every single night he used this. It was to the point where he was afraid to go to sleep so I would have to stay up with him. Once we stopped the Singulair his nightmares stopped. Never again will my son be taking this medication."

Mom of Kings September 7, 2016

For Asthma: "There is a gap between the known side effects of this drug and doctor education. We placed my child on it unaware that it causes nightmares and violent behavior in children. He did experience both, to the point where he was almost removed from a regular classroom in 3rd grade. I had a nurse friend educate me and we did take him off. The nightmares and violent outbursts have completely gone. It doesn't happen to all users but it did for my child. We switched and are managing with saline spray and Flonase with success. It almost ruined my child's life at the time. I also filed a complaint to the FDA on our experience on this as well."

Virginia 67 August 25, 2016