User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

Asthma 77 reviews 141 medications

5.8
Summary of Montelukast reviews 205 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Montelukast

For Asthma: "Hysterical crying bouts in my 6 year old son on just the second night of taking it. He woke and came to the side of my bed in almost a dazed state, crying and whimpering, when questioned he couldn't even speak! Didn't realize how awful this drug was untilI did the research. It causes childhood depression, nightmares, hallucinations."

AsthmaMom7788 February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "Soooo I started taking singulair montelukast for about a month now. It's been helping my asthma a lot but I've been having horrible depression. I'm very angry most of the time. Everything and anything anyone says will make me irate. I've been having suicidal thoughts. Honestly I rather cough up a lung than be crazy because of this medicine"

Neednewlungs February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Allergy testing came back negative but when I kept having cold weather induced asthma my doctor wanted me to try this. I'm already on symbicort & was doing good except cold weather. Well, the montelukestat helped it completely. We had a very cold winter this year & I was totally fine outdoors. Also I don't have any of the side effects some people mentioned, I feel great!!!"

Turn2Jesus (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "Taking for only a week or so for severe allergies/asthma. I am going to stop taking it and see how I feel because this medicine gives me a funny taste in my mouth and all food and drinks (except chocolate) taste weird to me."

Billyvannuys (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Asthma all my life (40 yrs old) but wanted to cut down / get off the steroid inhaler (Symbicourt) as it does lead to weight gain / hunger pangs and bloating of face. Offered Singulair - Took one tablet in the daytime - Wrong thing to do !! Completely sedated feeling. Made a call to continue taking the following treatment : 1. Symbicourt in the morning (Symbicourt users will concede it's like drinking 10 Cups of Coffee) 2. Take a half of Singulair before bed (I have the best nights sleep every night due to its mildly sedative effect). Best of both worlds.. I have never had broken sleep for 40 years.. once I started with Singular I sleep like a baby and wake up completely refreshed."

77 terry January 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I use to get Singulair thru medicaid/medicare but it's no longer available thru that source. I would have to pay which I can't afford to do. However I am a satisfied x -customer and that is the best medicine I have ever taken for my allergy problem. It eliminated my use of my rescue inhaler daily as in the past. I noticed that I could go a few days or weeks even months without even taking the Singulair most of the time. Singulair helped very well to keep my allergy symptoms away and at bay. I now take a generic brand and it is not the same and I still have to use my rescue inhaler more than I did when I used Singulair. I would recommend Singulair to anyone."

Satisfied Customer January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been on this for several years now and it helps to keep attacks down significantly. I can breathe so much better and it seems to help knock down allergic reaction to many things for me."

Lpit180 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been suffering from asthma since the age of 7 and I was recently prescribed montelukast sodium after a bad chest infection which had me hospitalised. I have taken it previously about two years back as well. However since I began taking it this time I noticed I can't fall asleep, I'm badly constipated and extremely lethargic, depressed, irritable and get angered really quick. No medicine is worth feeling this way and I'm stopping this immediately. If a simple drug manifests such tangible changes in your body, imagine what it does to your body silently."

Su_88 December 26, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "I have had asthma every since I was born, montelukast helps me breath every day if I don't take it I can't breath but it causes me severe stomach pains, sometimes anxiety, depression, red blotches one my face, I get the sweats and nausea. These are some of the long-term affects I suffer with I would not suggest taking it eternally"

Asthmagirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "This medication is poison. I don't recommend. My 5 year old was on this for 3 months when I've notice her behaviour changed, a bubbly happy and active child, had turned into a sad, tearful, tired and unhappy child with every little thing making her angry and depressed. I urge anyone who's taking or is thinking of giving this to their child, as soon as u see the littlest of change stop!! It can really affect you or your child's life. If only I had researched or my child's dr had advised me well instead of brushing my worries under the table, I would have never given this to her."

Fearful mum December 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Was prescribed for asthma to get me off my inhaler so often. It worked but, I gained 6lbs in 5 days & started having random nose bleeds & waking up with lots of joint pain. Then I stopped sleeping more than 4 hrs a night & I was taking it it before bed. The days were filled with anxiety, brainfog & confusion. Too bad because it really did help control the asthma. I stopped taking it. I'd rather cough than be in constant pain & crazy."

Coco Cabana December 3, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma, Maintenance: "This medication worked wonders for my asthma! No wheezing and no longer needed my rescue inhaler. After about 2 weeks of taking montelukast my feet and ankles started swelling and my hands and feet started going numb. I eventually had to go to the ER and learned that I had extremely high levels of eosinophils in my blood and was advised to stop taking montelukast immediately. I have been off of montelukast for about a month now, and I am finally getting feeling back in my fingers and toes. If you experience swelling or numbness, get yourself to a doctor and stop taking this medication right away!"

ENFP (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "I was prescribed this for a touch of asthma and bad allergic rhinitis. I took one half (5mgs). The next morning I felt nauseous and dizzy. Later on I developed a low grade fever chills and stomach pain got worse. It was the worse nausea I have had since I used to drink alcohol but without any relief.I do have gastritis in my stomach which could have contributed to my pain. Be careful if you have stomach issues!"

GodisloveJohn3:16 November 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I decided to try Montelukast(generic of Singulair) after a severe bout of cough/flu aggravated by my asthma; which lasted for well over 8 weeks. Initially I had a very bad headache for at least a week, unabating, and the unusual fatigue and tiredness regardless of what activity I did. The headache dissipated but the lethargy has continued and I never felt like I regained the energy I used to have. So this is very disturbing. I had hoped that after persisting with it for 4-5 months I would feel better but I don't. The tiredness pretty much starts almost immediately after I have taken the tablet in the evening. The other thing which is annoying is the stupid, senseless dreams which I find very hard to wake up from!"

cats_tale (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Although this medication seemed to help my allergy symptoms, my mental health took a terrible turn. For the last few months, I've been having crazy outbursts, going "from 0 to 100" very quickly on an emotional scale. I became super aggressive, could not stop crying, and would lay in the bathtub having suicidal thoughts. I know now that it was this medication, and my doctor told me to STOP taking it. These side effects could ruin someone's life, especially if the people around you don't understand why your behavior has changed. I've also been suffering from severe fatigue--fatigue that is much worse than my normal allergy fatigue. I'd recommend allergy shots instead, even though they are super inconvenient for many people!"

Elle215 November 22, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a lifetime allergy injection patient. I have been getting allergy injections for the past 35 years. I have had symptons of post nasal drip and clearing of the throat for as long as i can remember that the shots just wont clear up. I started singluar 10 days ago and my years of post nasal drip is gone. Yes!!!! gone for the first time for as long as I can remember."

Breathing again (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Since taking Singulair I have tooth pain, tingling in my face, and a bad metallic taste in my mouth. Plus my anxiety level went up, feel really tired, and very agitated. Stopped taking it last night. Hope these side effects go away soon. This metallic taste is driving me crazy! This is the 2nd time I've tried it. Same side effects and more."

Very ticked off November 5, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "I have taken Singulair or the generic Montelukast for almost 2 decades now and have had excellent results on the drug. I almost cannot tell I have asthma while taking the medication, provided I am not exposed to cigarette, wildfire, or any other form of smoke. However, I want to share that I have had the experience now of taking three U.S. generics that I did not have excellent results on. Within about 30 days of starting the generic in each case, I began experiencing asthma symptoms as if I were taking either a placebo or nothing at all. Only one generic that I have found thus far has been as effective for me as the brand name medication, and the generic has unfortunately been discontinued by my pharmacy."

CA10 (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "I came to this site to see if anyone else had the same experience with this drug. I had a terrible case of bacterial pneumonia six months ago and have developed asthma as a result of this infection. I live on a farm, am very active, and have suffered from seasonal allergies my entire life, which I managed with antihistamines. My doctor prescribed Singulair to lessen my inhaler use, and at first this drug was absolutely wonderful. Our prescription drug plan would only allow three refills from our local pharmacy, and now I receive a generic refill through the mail. After a few days of taking this generic rx, it was like taking an entirely different drug - the side effects are simply awful! Sadly, I won't be taking this drug anymore."

Mooberry November 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Since I moved into a new house I began having respiratory problems, occasional wheezing and breathing difficulty with exertion. Allergies came back negative and antihistamines had no effect so my dr gave me an inhaler and sinulair. I started on singulair first to avoid taking extra medications I might not need. From the first day on Singulair the mild symptoms I had improved but I also had a mild headache most of the time. By the 3rd day the headache became horrible, so much pain that I felt nausua and chills. I will not be taking it again ever."

hypersensitivity (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "My wife was on this stuff for at least a couple of years. She suffered severe tiredness, nightmares, irritability, and even suicidal thoughts, accompanied with severe depression! Although it did make her feel better the side effects are not worth it at all! She switched to flonaze and it is just as Good. Please, if you are on this medicine and have any of these side effects,please stop!"

Gcollins October 19, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "Controls asthma, with little need for other meds. inhaler ect. No ER trips, no more one week out of every month hospitalized. We are sensitive to sulfa and found qualitest brand worked the best and didn't have white powdered silica drying agent all over it. That was in another brand and gave him asthma."

Son, taken 7 years since 2 yo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "Both my mom and I got episodes of anxiety after trying this."

Terrible Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Asthma: "My 4 year old was prescribed this for asthma and i took him off it after hearing reviews about side effects. My son had a bad temper and was very aggressive but had been on singular since he was 2 so I didn't know if this was a stage he was going through or part of his personality. I took him off the tablets when I heard some bad reviews about suicidal thoughts and noticed very quickly how much happier and calmer my son became - he has not had angry outburst or wanted to hit anymore. I'm so disappointed that my doctors didn't warn me about how bad the side effects could be - I'm so pleased I've taken him of this and i also don't feel it helped his asthma much anyway."

lori 24430 September 30, 2016