User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis

Asthma
5.7

Summary of Montelukast reviews 6.9 259 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Works very well at controlling my asthma. I've been on this medication well over 10 years. I currently take the generic version. I don't notice any difference except in price, it's much cheaper! I'm very happy with how well This medication has performed."

cvdixon29 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed Montelukast (10mg to be taken at night) to treat chronic rhinitis. I am a generally quite an anxious person and have been treated occasionally for mild anxiety related depression over the past 15 years but not for the past 2 years. I have been taking Montelukast for 9 days now - I had very vivid unpleasant dreams for 3 nights followed by a couple of nights when I slept well but awoke feeling like I had slept badly. The last 4 nights have been fine and I feel back to normal. My rhinitis has eased significantly too. I like this drug."

DJSmysteron November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "When my asthma drug was discontinued, I started taking Montelukast with horrible side effects! For a week or so, the asthma improved and I was very happy, but then I slowly developed some type of breathing problem unrelated to Asthma. My breathing was very heavy, and I had a chest discomfort and could barely walk to the bathroom. Feeling of extreme anxiety and felt like I was suffocating. I tried to do controlled breathing for hyperventilation in case this was the problem. I don't know if the drug caused me to hyperventilate or if it cause such anxiety that I hyperventilated on my own or if it was some other kind of breathing difficulty. I stopped the drug and it took about 3 weeks for symptoms to leave permanently."

Judy5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I began taking Montelukast in October 2017 took a night time dose each day for two weeks. After three days with the drug, tiredness and weakness set in. By midafternoon I was ready to sleep. Returning from my medical appointment last week, it was very difficult to stay awake and drive home. Note, I take Ritalin daily and still felt this severe tiredness."

Keep Trying (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Thankyou guys for sharing honest reviews! PCP placed me on Montelukast 10 Mg a day . Allergies began to lighten up for awhile . But OMGOSH REALLY! Guys it has got me such a desperate fight for my well-being ! Didn't know why I was feeling so fatigued depressed no interest in nothing and a battle just to get out of bed most days ! Had super dark thoughts and awe\ful vivid dreams that I could feel the next days of worthless ! Asked Prayer Group to Pray for Me ! First night I didn't dream that awful dream but fatigue and depressing thoughts remained! This Med is awful for me ! No more will I subject myself to this dangerous Medicine ! From the bottom of my heart don't expose your well-being to medicine that can affect in such harmful ways!"

Thankyou! October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have chronic postnasal drip. I have had no success with OTC allergy meds. My ENT decided to try generic Singulair. First night I was wide awake all night and had uncontrollable muscle tremors & twitches. The next day I had headache, stomach ache, heartburn, & terribly dizzy. Next night I had difficulty sleeping, terrible vivid nightmares, night sweats . Woke with low fever, as well as all those other symptoms, Felt teary for no reason. Thought I had the flu but when looking up if 'sweats & nightmares' are Singulair side effects. I found ALL my issues were! Tried to stay with Sigulair as I knew it was one that needs to build up, but after a week & no effect on my drip it was too awful to bear any more. Was not good for me unfortunately."

Sdlassiter56 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance: "This did increase my son's asthma numbers and he took it for a year w/o noticeable side effects. However, I took ONE tablet after asking to be prescribed this drug for allergies. And I turned way crazy! Took it before bed, sweated so much all night my sheets were drenched! Woke up to tremors, big time. At work, the first little thing that I could not figure out, I lost all control over my emotions! It then went from bad to worse, as I suddenly did not care about my life, I was down at the bottom of a dark hole. I texted my SO I was going to write up my will in case I didn't last the weekend! Did not suspect pill at first...but thank God I didn't take it again and was back to normal-Beware!"

Thankful4SURE September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Singulair was wonderful for my allergies. My allergies are only in my ears causing popping, crackling, clogging and pulling. From the 1st dose I felt better and kept improving until my ears were better than they had been in months. Unfortunately, on day 10 I developed tremors in my hands and lower arms. The tremors turned into shaking when I tried to use my arms/hands. My legs felt detached from my body. So it was wonderful for my allergies but horrible for side effects. Hopefully it won't take too long to get out of my system so the tremors stop."

Bookwrm71 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I began taking this medication on Saturday and by Monday (3 days later), I felt awful. I had a general feeling of illness; nausea; and pain in my back, legs, arms and hands to the extent that I had to take Oxycodone. The med did seem to be working somewhat because I was feeling less drainage in my throat, but not enough to cut out Claritin and Sudafed. In case my symptoms were the result of something else, I'm going to try Montelukast again in a couple weeks."

CatD (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "WARNING! I have had my asthma Since childhood. This worked wonders with my asthma it almost immediately stopped me from having to use my rescue. I didn't realize it until now but around the time I started taking it was when I started to suffer from severe mood swings and the feeling of unable to control my emotions (I am 24) something would upset me and I would just cry and cry and cry. I noticed a lack of energy not caring about things I once use to and I just wanted to sleep. If I did go out and drink I sometimes would have terrible nights since alcohol is a depressant I am assuming this is why I would have such an over emotional reaction to things that I normally wouldn't cry about. I am immediately stopping this once I made the connection."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I had immediate response with the taking of the first pill. It was so nice awaking in the morning without the awful itch that my allergies produce."

Living in paradise (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have used this drug for over 15 years. I have asthma triggered by inhalants and the original version has totally controlled my symptoms. I used the generic when it came out because of cost. I started having mild asthma symptoms within a few days. When my local Target switched to another generic I developed hypersensitivity pneumonitis which was diagnosed after over $20,000 in lab work and a bronchoscopy. Back on original singulair..and no problem again. It really controls my asthma and allergic reactions."

April Ross September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "Singulair has been a godsend to help control my daily asthma symptoms due to allergenic/mold triggers. I haven't noticed it make a difference with exercise or smoke triggers, but it definitely helps reduce frequency/severity of asthma symptoms in general. If I take a few days to pick up my prescription, I can absolutely feel a difference in my lung health. I've been waiting the past few days to get the entire prescription renewed with my doctor and I had a nighttime attack last night for the first time since I started taking the medicine (it's been six days since I last took it). I have not experienced any mood changes even though I already had diagnosed anxiety when I started the medication or any other adverse side effects."

Em0617 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Finally, finally, finally! I was originally given this for COPD and asthma so you might be wondering why I am writing this under allergic rhinitis. 24 hours after the first dose and ever since, my nose and sinuses are clear for the first time in literally my entire adolescent and adult life. I can sleep, breathe, and it has greatly helped asthma! Not a single side effect to be found."

KyoZero (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Started taking generic Singulair on 7/26/17 by 8/02/17 I started having vivid dreams only at bedtime and every night until today when I called my doctor and got the medication changed. For just under a week every single night I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming. The first night it happened I was cuddled up with my husband sleeping on his chest and I woke myself up snoring when I apologized to my husband for snoring so loud he said I wasn't snoring. I fell asleep again within ten minutes and thought I was still awake and I swore I saw a spider on the sheets by my face on my husband. I jumped up yelling spider woke myself up and freaked out my husband because there was no spider, I had dreamt the whole thing. It only got worse"

Ash109010 August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took singulair for the 1st time last night and have been awake ever since. I also notice out of the blue I started crying. I know it was the medicine because before taking it I slept well for the most part. This morning I got up and reread the possible side affects and last night will be my 1st and last time taking singulair. The sad part is I have to go to work n all I wanna do is sleep "

Nickinomore (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I've been on this now for the past 4 months as treatment for chronic sinusitis. The beginning was fine and seemed to be helpful. I am now being treated for pharyngitis for the past 4 months. Have even been rushed to hospital unable to breathe. I stopped taking it yesterday now I have to wait out the side effects to wear off so I can feel better and breathe again. How long do the side effects stay with you?"

Ready to breath again (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I give this half a rating. I have chronic asthma and after nearly dying from an asthma attack I was prescribed Singulair along with Symbicort. This medication has absolutely helped me. I've been on it for over 3 months now. It really does help reverse the effects of asthma. Unfortunately it gives me some of the worst anxiety I have ever experienced. I tried taking it in the morning but the entire day I would feel unbelievably anxious. If I take it before bed I have the worst most vivid nightmares. This medication effects everyone differently of course, my only advice is to try it out for yourself."

Kelsisms August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I have been using this medication for 18 years now. It has proven to be very helpful as I have pretty bad asthma. Always come back to singulair after trying something new. Great maintenance drug."

It works (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Asthma Doctor prescribed montelukast three years ago. My cough was so bad I couldn't get my breath. My husband finally went to another bedroom in our house due to lack of sleep because of my coughing. Three months later I forgot to take my nighttime med (montelukast). My usual morning coughing and hocking didn't happen. Hubby noticed right away and asked what I did different. I said I forgot to take my montelukast at night. So I didn't take it the next five nights and no cough or hocking. It seems the post nasal drip stopped. I have been cough free for four weeks. A whole new life!"

Sherie00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I was taking Montelukast for a few months, at first it worked a treat but then I noticed my asthma symptoms got worse than ever (I constantly needed my blue inhaler) and my allergy symptoms were terrible (extremely stuffy nose all the time)! I stopped taking Montelukast on my own accord and everything has cleared up and my asthma symptoms have disappeared. My Asthma nurse strongly recommends I continue to take Montelukast but I feel I'm better off without it."

Sophie N July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have tried it several times in the past but have the same results. It does not control the steady flow of post nasal drip causing me to feel nauseated. I have better results taking 4 hour generic Benadryl."

Moma 1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been on this medicine since early Spring, so probably about 4 months straight now, for my severe allergies and it has helped with them. However, I have noticed some major mood swings and depression. I started getting dark thoughts (regarding only myself), and I will sit in a ball and cry for hours and worry about the dumbest things. It's been giving me anxiety attacks which I have never had before. It is HORRIBLE. I am glad that I am not going crazy. I see that unfortunately other people are reacting the same way. Last night was my last time taking the med. I hope it gets out of my body FAST!!!! Don't take this medicine!!"

ParamedicGirl911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My 2-1/2 year old daughter was prescribed this toxic drug. After the seventeenth day we stopped giving it to her because it caused Autism-like symptoms, huge decrease in talking, and an increase in agitation, aggressiveness, isolation, repetitive movements and tics, swollen tongue, numbness in one foot, lack of appetite, clumsiness, self-harming behavior, and what appears to be hallucinations. Today is her third day off it and all the side-effects have worsened. She turns to a page in one of her books (God Made Me Special) where it mentions that "Sometimes I feel down, sometimes I feel blue, don't like something about me, it's sad but it's true..." and she says "down". This drug should be banned everywhere."

EBAguilar (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took this medicine years ago for full body hives brought on from a virus. I had never experienced anything like this. Nothing would take away the hives for weeks and an allergist recommended this along with Xyzal and Ranitidine BID and my rash cleared. Three days ago I received the Varicella vaccine and I blew up into unbearably itchy full body hives. I went to the ER and was given methylprednisolone and within three hours the hives were back. I asked the Dr to prescribe me the same medicines my allergist recommended years ago. I took my first dose of this medicine and within an hour it was 75% gone. It is a miracle drug for allergies/hives. I suffer from GAD with panic attacks and have experienced no anxiety, it actually calmed me down."

MMarti2 July 2, 2017