User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

6.4
COPD 3 reviews 38 medications

Summary of Montelukast reviews 166 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Montelukast

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Am a senior citizen. Took Singulair for 2 years. In that time I have suffered from persistant anxiety (felt like I was going to explode), something I never had before, and was also having weird dreams. I was sent to a psychiatrist, was told I was depressed and given anti-depressants. But I knew it was something chemical. Finally searched for "Singulair + anxiety" and found many other people had had problems. Within 3 days of discontinuing the medication I felt pretty much "normal". I would rather have the runny nose/sneezing than that terrible anxiety!"

South Georgia girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2016

For Asthma: "I took singular in grade 2 and had very lucid bad dreams and anger issues. But i did help a bit for my asthma. Now i am in grade 10 and this has stopped my allergy and exersise induced asthma attacks. My main side effect now lucid dreams. I like them but i know a lot of people don't."

Kyle.422 July 20, 2016

For Asthma: "I had been taking Zyrtec D for a few years now for indoor allergies. My allergist told me if it works don't change it. Fast forward, I went for a physical and my dr convinced me to try singulair. I figured why not, paying only a few dollars compared to the price of Zyrtec. I didn't look up any reviews and just started taking it. I noticed I was packing on the pounds like every day so I stopped everything that I had recently changed in my routine. Now that I looked up all the reviews many people have had the same issue even though it is not listed as a side effect. I stopped the medicine a month ago and only took it for 30 days. Still havin trouble losing the weight even with exercising and eating right. Very frustrating! Do not take."

SEY76 July 4, 2016

For Asthma: "So happy I've started montelukast. Prior to starting my asthma was really controlling my life. I always had a wheeze and productive cough, requiring my salbutamol inhaler at least twice a day. At present my symptoms have all but stopped, greatly improving my quality of life and tiredness/exercise tolerance."

Mal72 June 21, 2016

For Asthma: "After a bad flu virus I was left with asthma and allergic rhinitis... Trouble at night and early morning. . Coughing wheezing and tight breathing .? Montelucast worked... To test the theory I had to come off montelucast three times.. Everything returned.. Honestly a life saving drug."

Rovobaju (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

For Asthma: "Started taking this medication about two years ago and it has changed my life. Before the montelukast I would use my rescue inhaler(proair) about five times a day even more sometimes. I had that annoying cough that just wouldn't go away, super whizzy, tightness in chest, could barely walk like two flights of stairs without being winded and starting to wheeze it was horrible. I finally started taking the montelukast seriously saved me. I take it everyday. I can finally breathe no annoying cough, no waking up trying to catch my breath, I can finally go for a run and not die and even laugh all I want without reAching for my rescue inhaler! I feel so much better!"

Jzb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I started taking Montelukast for my allergies. I immediately started having excessive yawning and trouble taking deep breaths. I plan to stop taking it and see if the problems cease."

Yawner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Started to get post nasal drip horribly over four months ago. tried every otc drug know for allergies, remove bedroom carpet, bought high end humidifier, air purifier, netti potted and drank four liters of water a day. Nothing helped and i would wake up every hour and a half coughing from mucus build up. This medication stopped my symptoms within 2 days. Its very expensive but worth every penny."

klaaja May 23, 2016

For Asthma: "My daughter is 7 yrs and she had been taken Singular for 4 yrs It worked great. But for the last 3 months my daughter started have extreme anxiety issue over little things to the point where she wasn't herself. Saying things like nobody loves me, I am a bad kid, you should just get rid of me. she was having tantrums, outbursts of disruptive behavior. major mood swings. Crying hysterically at night. I researched and researched in what was causing this behavior and came across side effects of her meds and it was worth a try even though it could alter her health but her mental health I was way more concerned about. By the 5th day of her being off on the meds she was back to her normal loving and positive self.I will never give it to her again"

Angryparent May 21, 2016

For Asthma: "I am now 48 and have been taking Singulair for 2 + years and it is truly a medical drug for allergy induced asthma. I love it! I could not breathe and the phlegm would not move. Now whatever phlegm there is moves very productively and I do not wheeze at night anymore. It saved my life!"

Got allergy asthma at 45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Works great but the disturbingly vivid dreams are making me feel exhausted. I stopped taking it for a few days and the dreams stopped. But my breathing worsened. Wish there was something else I could take."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this about four weeks ago as particular of a trial of treatment to help my (as yet) uncontrolled asthma. The nurse said it didn't help everyone and that's true for me- I might as well have been taking sweeties! Unfortunately though I have suffered very badly with side effects- notably depression and suicidal thoughts- which I only realised last night after rereading the patient information. I am glad it's worked for others, but sadly it's not for me..."

Asthma52 May 8, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Singulair causes symptoms in children that look like ADHD or ADD. It causes irritability, aggression, impulsivity, and hyperactivity in children. Before you treat your child for ADHD, try switching to an allergy or asthma medicine that isn't this or a corticosteriod"

ReviewPro (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I tried Singulair because I have nasal allergies that turn into nasty sinus infections every couple of months. I also have panic disorder, but it's well controlled with medication. I was only able to take Singulair for 4 days due to side effects, so I can't say how well it works. It made me so sleepy that I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day, and still tired when I was awake. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year, and my anxiety went through the roof on this stuff. My panic attacks were so bad, I was having trouble driving. I was also moody and irritable the days I took it. Luckily, all of the negative side effects went away within a couple of days of stopping Singulair. Stay away from this drug if you are prone to anxiety!!!"

StillStuffy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I have been taking singulair for almost a year now or more. I usually don't dream , so I haven't noticed any unusual nightmares. Seriously , I can't tell if my anxiety is because of singulair or not . I am anxious by nature and this semester is really stressful and can drive anyone crazy ! I usually think about life , death , why we are here? and this kind of stuff . . DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SINGULAIR ? I really want to find an answer for that .I recommend singulair when you don't have any other choice , but if you have one then absolutely choose it. Sing. is bad but effective."

N.A (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

For Asthma: "I have a history of anxiety. I was prescribed Singulair because I have been experiencing the feeling of not getting a satisfying breathe. I've been taking big deep breathes and yawning a lot, with a slightly heavy feeling in my chest.After taking the Singulair two nights, I woke up with a slightly racing heart. This continued to happen every night after, but it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to stop. Then one night, I had had a couple of drinks, then took the medicine a couple hours later and went to bed. I woke up very bundled up, so I was overly hot. My heart was racing like I had been running, the overly hot turned to ice cold, I was covered in sweat, and I ended up vomiting. I will never take it again."

Aataftt April 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long."

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have mild asthma that occasionally worsens to be more moderate. I'm another person who has mood effects from taking Singular, and in addition, it's affecting my ability to enjoy certain flavors. It feels like an antihistamine, sort of, causing my mouth to feel dry, and I feel thirsty a lot. I'd live with that, but I am experiencing this weird agitation that's quite uncomfortable. I'm very aware of it, and I'm an adult, not a kid, so I probably won't bite anybody's head off. However, I think it might not be worth it to me and I think I'll stop it for a few days to compare how I feel then with what I'm feeling now."

NorCalM March 27, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Severe dizziness and tiredness had to stop taking after two days :-("

Loub32 March 27, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I have severe asthma in response to animal fur and house dust as well as rhinitus, swollen eyes and skin weals in extreme cases. I obviously avoided these danger areas but found it limiting. I have kept my mild ongoing asthma under control using Ventolin and Seretide over the years and have also had to take one Cetirizine antihistamine a day for the last 10 years for chronic idiopathic urticaria. No one could tell me what it was that was causing the Hives. Recently, I got a dog, did some online research and found Singulair Montelukast. OMG why wasn't this mentioned before. I got my GP to prescribe it. In short...I do not get asthma, I no longer sneeze, my eyes are not itching/swollen and do not have urticaria anymore!!!"

Catherine P March 22, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This medications was given to me after blue cross and blue shield stop covering levocetirizine which i had taken for 7 years. Singulair is awful. Within 2 days i had nightmares so very vivid that was scary. The dreams would come in few minutes intervals during hours and hours of not being able to sleep at all. By the third day i had tremors in my legs which kept me awake anyways, during the day I thought about nothing then kill myself. By the fourth day i broke out in hives. That's when I stopped it. I would not recommend! I am very healthy athletic person and I love outdoors, this medication was debilitating."

Adair1974 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Taking montelukast for a week now and I do notice improvement with my asthma. However, the side effects are not worth dealing with. Right away I started having crazy dreams every night while on it. I also felt very anxious. As much as it did help with my asthma, I will not continue to take it. I will be just fine with just the Advir Disk."

orange33 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "It does not prevent my RAD response to my allergens. I now can't afford it. Singulair had allowed me to eat and be around my many other allergens without the cough and nasal drainage. So now I must resort to benadryl at least twice a day and my rescue inhaler twice daily. It is really sad that the insurance is now making it cost prohibitive to get Singulair. This has definitely affected my quality of life."

Mrskimalyn (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I started taking Singular generic brand about a week ago when my allergies got really bad to the point of not being able to function. I was constantly sneezing, running nose, congested at the same time and watering eyes. I am on once a week allergy shots for the past 25 years, run the air filter and keep a clean house with hardwood floors. I have been taking half a pill of Xyzsal for the past couple of years. Now, I took the Singular with the Xyzsal and started having nightmares almost every night. Before, I used to dream often, occasionally had nighmares, but not that often. Now, I have nightmares every night instead of random dreams that I can remember them even when I wake up. My allergies are still bad but tolerable."

mvcheng February 15, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!"

jolene8992 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016