User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

6.3
COPD 3 reviews 38 medications

Summary of Montelukast reviews 174 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Montelukast

For Asthma: "There is a gap between the known side effects of this drug and doctor education. We placed my child on it unaware that it causes nightmares and violent behavior in children. He did experience both, to the point where he was almost removed from a regular classroom in 3rd grade. I had a nurse friend educate me and we did take him off. The nightmares and violent outbursts have completely gone. It doesn't happen to all users but it did for my child. We switched and are managing with saline spray and Flonase with success. It almost ruined my child's life at the time. I also filed a complaint to the FDA on our experience on this as well."

Virginia 67 August 25, 2016

For Asthma: "Singulair saved my life. It's a wonder drug and has set me free. No more er visits, no more gasping for air, no more clutching my rescue inhaler. I have been back to my normal life mowing, lifting, energized and not afraid."

Lady Vet (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Been talking this medication so long, don't see where it is helping because I still have the same symptoms over and over."

Lady Byrd (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My 8 year old suffers from year round allergic rhinitis. He started taking montelukast and it helped him sleep through the night without snoring nor did he have breathing problems or runny nose the next morning. But he started getting depressed and complained about "feeling sad for no reason." I've stopped the meds, let's see how it goes."

Vitsky (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: "My 16 year old daughter has the typical exercise induced asthma that many of her teammates have and has used an inhaler for a couple of years. Her Dr. advised us to start using Montelukast. We were a bit wary because of the possible side effects, but her Dr. convinced us. About 2.5-3 months later, all of a sudden she started experiencing the awful side effects they warn you about...racing heart, sleeplessness, panic, sadness, hopelessness and anxiety. After a couple days of this we finally read the pill bottle and immediately stopped. It has been a week now and she is better, but still working through the anxiety. Please do your research and ONLY use this medication if you are completely sure you won't experience these side effects!"

saddened parent (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Simple change my life. Just one hour after taking my first dose my nose was clean and I could breathe, dripping completely stopped, I do not have any of the effects mentioned here, I take my dose every day before going to sleep and I even feel I sleep better thanks the effect of the drug. I am so happy! I only regret not having used it before"

Jorge Lozano August 8, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I wish I had reported this to the FDA when it happened. I don't know how helpful my account of the side effects from many years ago would be now. However, I would like to share this somewhere, as what I experienced is not verified as a side effect but possibly suspected--- I don't want anyone to go through what I went through and not suspect this medication to be the culprit. After taking one dose of Singular in the evening, the next day, I experienced suicidal thoughts, severe anxiety, and a feeling as if I were being separated from my body (if that makes sense). I have no history of such problems, never took Singular again, and never experienced what I described again."

Hope this helps (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I wish I had reported this to the FDA when it happened. I don't know how helpful my account of the side effects from years ago would be now. However, I would like to share this somewhere, as what I experienced is not verified as a side effect but possibly suspected--- I don't want anyone to go through what I went through and not suspect this medication. After taking one dose of Singular in the evening, the next day, I experienced suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and a feeling as if I were being separated from my body (if that makes sense). I have no history of such problems, never took Singular again, and never experienced what I described again (as I said before, it has now been years since I took Singular)."

Worried for others (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Am a senior citizen. Took Singulair for 2 years. In that time I have suffered from persistant anxiety (felt like I was going to explode), something I never had before, and was also having weird dreams. I was sent to a psychiatrist, was told I was depressed and given anti-depressants. But I knew it was something chemical. Finally searched for "Singulair + anxiety" and found many other people had had problems. Within 3 days of discontinuing the medication I felt pretty much "normal". I would rather have the runny nose/sneezing than that terrible anxiety!"

South Georgia girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2016

For Asthma: "I took singular in grade 2 and had very lucid bad dreams and anger issues. But i did help a bit for my asthma. Now i am in grade 10 and this has stopped my allergy and exersise induced asthma attacks. My main side effect now lucid dreams. I like them but i know a lot of people don't."

Kyle.422 July 20, 2016

For Asthma: "I had been taking Zyrtec D for a few years now for indoor allergies. My allergist told me if it works don't change it. Fast forward, I went for a physical and my dr convinced me to try singulair. I figured why not, paying only a few dollars compared to the price of Zyrtec. I didn't look up any reviews and just started taking it. I noticed I was packing on the pounds like every day so I stopped everything that I had recently changed in my routine. Now that I looked up all the reviews many people have had the same issue even though it is not listed as a side effect. I stopped the medicine a month ago and only took it for 30 days. Still havin trouble losing the weight even with exercising and eating right. Very frustrating! Do not take."

SEY76 July 4, 2016

For Asthma: "So happy I've started montelukast. Prior to starting my asthma was really controlling my life. I always had a wheeze and productive cough, requiring my salbutamol inhaler at least twice a day. At present my symptoms have all but stopped, greatly improving my quality of life and tiredness/exercise tolerance."

Mal72 June 21, 2016

For Asthma: "After a bad flu virus I was left with asthma and allergic rhinitis... Trouble at night and early morning. . Coughing wheezing and tight breathing .? Montelucast worked... To test the theory I had to come off montelucast three times.. Everything returned.. Honestly a life saving drug."

Rovobaju (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

For Asthma: "Started taking this medication about two years ago and it has changed my life. Before the montelukast I would use my rescue inhaler(proair) about five times a day even more sometimes. I had that annoying cough that just wouldn't go away, super whizzy, tightness in chest, could barely walk like two flights of stairs without being winded and starting to wheeze it was horrible. I finally started taking the montelukast seriously saved me. I take it everyday. I can finally breathe no annoying cough, no waking up trying to catch my breath, I can finally go for a run and not die and even laugh all I want without reAching for my rescue inhaler! I feel so much better!"

Jzb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I started taking Montelukast for my allergies. I immediately started having excessive yawning and trouble taking deep breaths. I plan to stop taking it and see if the problems cease."

Yawner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Started to get post nasal drip horribly over four months ago. tried every otc drug know for allergies, remove bedroom carpet, bought high end humidifier, air purifier, netti potted and drank four liters of water a day. Nothing helped and i would wake up every hour and a half coughing from mucus build up. This medication stopped my symptoms within 2 days. Its very expensive but worth every penny."

klaaja May 23, 2016

For Asthma: "My daughter is 7 yrs and she had been taken Singular for 4 yrs It worked great. But for the last 3 months my daughter started have extreme anxiety issue over little things to the point where she wasn't herself. Saying things like nobody loves me, I am a bad kid, you should just get rid of me. she was having tantrums, outbursts of disruptive behavior. major mood swings. Crying hysterically at night. I researched and researched in what was causing this behavior and came across side effects of her meds and it was worth a try even though it could alter her health but her mental health I was way more concerned about. By the 5th day of her being off on the meds she was back to her normal loving and positive self.I will never give it to her again"

Angryparent May 21, 2016

For Asthma: "I am now 48 and have been taking Singulair for 2 + years and it is truly a medical drug for allergy induced asthma. I love it! I could not breathe and the phlegm would not move. Now whatever phlegm there is moves very productively and I do not wheeze at night anymore. It saved my life!"

Got allergy asthma at 45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Works great but the disturbingly vivid dreams are making me feel exhausted. I stopped taking it for a few days and the dreams stopped. But my breathing worsened. Wish there was something else I could take."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this about four weeks ago as particular of a trial of treatment to help my (as yet) uncontrolled asthma. The nurse said it didn't help everyone and that's true for me- I might as well have been taking sweeties! Unfortunately though I have suffered very badly with side effects- notably depression and suicidal thoughts- which I only realised last night after rereading the patient information. I am glad it's worked for others, but sadly it's not for me..."

Asthma52 May 8, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Singulair causes symptoms in children that look like ADHD or ADD. It causes irritability, aggression, impulsivity, and hyperactivity in children. Before you treat your child for ADHD, try switching to an allergy or asthma medicine that isn't this or a corticosteriod"

ReviewPro (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I tried Singulair because I have nasal allergies that turn into nasty sinus infections every couple of months. I also have panic disorder, but it's well controlled with medication. I was only able to take Singulair for 4 days due to side effects, so I can't say how well it works. It made me so sleepy that I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day, and still tired when I was awake. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year, and my anxiety went through the roof on this stuff. My panic attacks were so bad, I was having trouble driving. I was also moody and irritable the days I took it. Luckily, all of the negative side effects went away within a couple of days of stopping Singulair. Stay away from this drug if you are prone to anxiety!!!"

StillStuffy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I have been taking singulair for almost a year now or more. I usually don't dream , so I haven't noticed any unusual nightmares. Seriously , I can't tell if my anxiety is because of singulair or not . I am anxious by nature and this semester is really stressful and can drive anyone crazy ! I usually think about life , death , why we are here? and this kind of stuff . . DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SINGULAIR ? I really want to find an answer for that .I recommend singulair when you don't have any other choice , but if you have one then absolutely choose it. Sing. is bad but effective."

N.A (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

For Asthma: "I have a history of anxiety. I was prescribed Singulair because I have been experiencing the feeling of not getting a satisfying breathe. I've been taking big deep breathes and yawning a lot, with a slightly heavy feeling in my chest.After taking the Singulair two nights, I woke up with a slightly racing heart. This continued to happen every night after, but it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to stop. Then one night, I had had a couple of drinks, then took the medicine a couple hours later and went to bed. I woke up very bundled up, so I was overly hot. My heart was racing like I had been running, the overly hot turned to ice cold, I was covered in sweat, and I ended up vomiting. I will never take it again."

Aataftt April 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long."

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016