User Reviews for Montelukast systemic

Asthma
5.3

Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.8 312 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

For Asthma: "I took Montelukast for 9 days before bedtime. I was having frequent common cold, so my doctor prescribed me Montelukast as an alternative to Levocetirizine. My Asthma is not so serious as I only use the Revolizer and not the inhaler. I'd advise everyone to not use this med as it has some serious side effects. After taking the first few tablets, I started feeling anxious and I experienced breathing problems. I visited the doctor and he said that I shouldn't have any breathing problems as my lungs were fine. Then I checked for the side effects of Montelukast and found out it has a lot, so I consulted with my doctor and he removed Montelukast from the prescription. It's been 5 days since I dropped that drug and I still feel anxious and difficulty in breathing at times. Reading others reviews have helped and now I'm just going to wait till this anxiety goes away. I just hope that it goes away, this anxious feeling is getting on my nerves."

Football fan (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

For Asthma: "I started this medication when I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I thought my gas, bloating, fatigue and weakness were from the antibiotics but even after finishing them the bloating etc got worse so I am guessing it is the Singulair. I don’t think I really need it so I will stop taking and hopefully feel better. After reading all of the information on anxiety and depression ( which I have had for 30 years) I am shocked my Dr. put me on this."

Mj (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2018

For Asthma: "I took montelukast for about 8 months and that’s when my nightmare began. I was so anxious and crying all the time with vivid dreams. It really did help my asthma but the side effects make you feel like you are losing your mind. I am 42 yrs old and have always been active, happy, and the first to be up to do anything. It’s has been 4 months since I stopped taking this horrible medicine and I am just beginning to feel back to my old self. I warn everyone please be careful with this medicine. It works to control your asthma but be aware of your mood changes and tell your dr right away."

Mom of 2 November 14, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Simply did not work."

YearRoundAllergies (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

For Asthma: "I went on montelukast three weeks ago. I have had no prior mental difficulties, anxiety or depression. Three weeks later I’m experiencing agitation, anxiety, nightmares (which I haven’t had since I was a child, I’m a 52 year old woman. I’m irritated and my thoughts race. As far as those racing thoughts... I seem to get obsessed on a subject and I can’t stop googling and looking and checking and doing something related to that topic! Every day it’s something new to obsess over. A close friend who is a psychologist looked at the side effects of montelukast and said CALL YOUR DOCTOR. NOW. She also gave me the phone number of a psychiatrist. I called both my pulmonologist who prescribed and the psychologist. Ugh. This stuff works wonderfully, but quite seriously I’d rather just cough and have asthma attacks."

Ddras (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a parent of two children. Both children took Singulair for allergies. Both children had issues while taking Singulair and experiences withdrawal effects once I stopped the medication. My daughter developed TICS, TREMORS, ANGER, RAGE, OCD, ANXIETY, Mood Swings, agitation to name a few side effects. My son developed frequent urination, muscle issues, joint pain and sadness. Both my children developed a hypersensitivity to all artificial sweeteners, dyes and all emulsifiers/preservatives as the inactive ingredients are made up of most of these items. Their hypersensitivity to artificial sweeteners, dyes and emulsifiers/preservatives still continue even though they stopped the medicine."

M&M Mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 10, 2018

For Asthma: "This drug gave me back my life. I have cough variant asthma and flare ups would last for months. I would have violent coughing several times an hour. This takes the "itch" or "tickle" away so I no longer feel like I need to cough. It also helps with the feeling I need to clear my throat. A godsend."

tconlgirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2018

For Asthma: "I have been taking montelukast for three months, I persisted with the vivid nightmares, irritability, anxiety and depression because it was so effective for my asthma. Family, friends and work colleagues noticed my mood change and my inability to be happy. The weight gain was another unwanted side effect. The prolonged and worsening side effects have forced me to stop taking it."

Ksue (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Not sure if it's because I started using this medicine at the end of spring (summer not as severe) but so far this has been THE BEST medicine I've tried. If there's a day where I feel like I need something on top, I take claritin (as recommended by my doctor). I no longer use nasal spray. No more benadryl making me drowsy. As per side effects, I am normally a bit of an anxious person and I have seen no increase. Still as happy as can be, no nightmares no depression. No fatigue, no cold sweats at night, its been great! However my menstrual cycle has been the only thing that has DEFINITELY changed. Went from a 28 day cycle ,to a 35-40 day cycle!! Talk about a lot of confusion when that time came around and nothing happened. I keep close track and am very in tune with my body and yes this has definitely change my cycle. Other than that I am so thankful I can live more of a normal life. I cant wait to see how it holds up when it comes to sinus infection season."

A Anglea Solo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

For Asthma: "I have always struggles with asthma, especially with exercise and colds. This helped me a lot day to day but also with my asthma. Most of all, it prevents my colds from damaging my lungs from coughing."

Kells (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 12, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was having bad allergies my nose was really swollen. Doc prescribed this for me and within a few days it was gone. Helps with my summer allergies but I still need my other medications. Also, I had a few times when I felt I could not breathe, which is rare So I took this medicine, and felt better and just a few minutes."

Who nut (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I was having bad shortness of breath that distressed me. My doctor put me on singular and it saved me! On day one I noticed a big difference within an hour. They say take at night but I take it in the morning. Works like a charm with no side effects. I was advised to take the generic as it was cheaper with my plan"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have asthma caused by a year round allergy from mould and it could be very bad. I have uncontrolled allergy and later progress to mild asthma for a very long time. I have suffered 3 sinus surgeries and countless sinus infection. Montelukast is no short of miracle. It is able to quickly control my symptoms when using with Dyjmista and advair inhaler. However, I starting to have symptoms of muscle pain and joint pain all over and feel tired. I took me a long time to figured out what was the cause. I finally able to get off montelukast while maintain control of my allergy with dymista and advair. Most of body and joint pain dissipated after a few days of discontinuation of montelukast. Furthermore my fatigue have been improving since montelukast discontinuation. This drug is very effective for me in the short term but the long term side effect is just not acceptable."

eakawit (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I’m taking this medication along with 40mg Ompramazole twice daily with 300mg Rantidine at bedtime. Diagnosed with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) and environmental allergies causing me to cough day & night, gagging and involuntarily expelling clear mucus. After 5 weeks no change. I’m now on Day 3 of Singulair which I take about 6pm. It seems to lessen my coughing episodes & they are less exaggerated but when using the bathroom at night I am dizzy and find myself holding on to walls and doorways to walk. When I wake up in the morning the dizziness is gone. I wonder if this will go away,"

chicagopd (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

For Asthma: "I took Montelukast for my asthma and allergies and it definitely works to control both of these, but the side effects are bad. As directed by my doctor, I would go on and off of it during the bad times of the year--this caused severe exhaustion for several weeks. The worst side effect, which is not something they mention, is the weight gain and inability to lose weight. I really didn't notice it at first, as I started exercising regularly again at around the same time. Fast forward a year and a half, I am tracking everything I eat and the exercise I am doing--consistently 1000 calories/day deficit. My weight does not budge for four months. I start researching and something I read mentions medication. Since Montelukast is the only thing I'm on, I look up "Montelukast and weight loss" and find stories from people who had similar issues. I stopped taking it and within a month 10 pounds fell off of me, while eating normally. Montelukast definitely works, but beware the side effects."

alwaysAllergic August 24, 2018

For Bronchospasm Prophylaxis: "Montelukast is pretty effective at blocking your histamine reaction to pollen and other allergens. I must say, it works. However, if you read the information that comes with Montelukast from your pharmacist, you will see many different side effects. One of these side effects is DEPRESSION. I ignored this for some weeks, but after viewing a sad incident (not related to me), I became depressed. Ordinarily, seeing that incident would have disturbed me, but I would get over it and bounce back. But my sadness has lingered on, and I blame the Montelukast. Be aware of any sadness or depression with this drug. Also, for allergies, I recommend a natural product which contains Quercetin among other herbs. This stuff is amazing. At first take 2 caps twice a day and you can go to 1 cap twice a day. Even asthmatics have praised this product on Amazon. Sudafed and 1 Claritin a day can be taken with the Breathe. Best wishes to you all"

Ann Wilson (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this for severe chest and nasal congestion, and cough. I can't take antihistamines so was prescribed this. After the first night started getting headaches, sinus pain, dizziness, and fatigue. By the end of the fourth day, all had worsened to the point where I almost dozed off while driving, and experienced severe pain and swelling above my gum line where your sinus cavity is located. Read the documentation from the pharmacy and discovered these are all side effects. Stopped using it and the pain and swelling is my mouth is almost gone. Did little or nothing to relieve the cough or congestion, in fact it seemed to aggravate it. The effects will vary according to the individual , but make sure to read about and stay alert for any side effects."

Lirrguy (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Lifesaver! Seasonal allergies always leads to sinus infections, ear infections, bronchitis. For the first time in my life I haven't been short of breath. Day 1 within an hour my lungs feel open and free. I feel fantastic! Better then prednisone!"

kcladyz August 3, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "The generic is out. I have taken both and there is no difference. Buy the generic and do not waste your money on the name brand."

overpriced July 25, 2018

For Asthma: "Went to urgent care for breathing troubles. The nurse did a breathing treatment and prescribed me a rescue inhaler, zpac for inflammation, cetirizine and montelukast (singulair.) I was pregnant at the time. All the drugs were B-rated or above except for the singulair -a D for pregnancy. I was hesitant of this drug therefore from the start. I took it for about a week with no improvements. I woke up with a headache each day and experienced throat tightness and labored breathing- not asthma wheeziness from it. One night my throat got very tight so I took the rescue inhaler and saw no improvement. I went to the ER. The doc determined I had an anxiety reaction and not an asthma attack as my breathing sounded very clear. That night I decided to ditch the singulair and never take it again in my life. This drug caused more breathing troubles and anxiety in less than a week. I'm so glad I went with my instinct and quit the drug to protect me and my unborn child."

Cutiegoose July 24, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been using this drug for just over a week for severe allergies. It has not helped at all. Sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes......all still severe. I have had no side effects so far. I am stopping the meds. No point in taking them. They should have helped by now."

Sunny (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been taking this drug once daily for about 2 weeks. I have had one anxiety attack and noticed first one shoulder started to hurt now am at where both shoulders both knees both arms and both legs hurt now. I have stopped taking it and now I have to be taking something for the pain. I am still congested after a month so it has not done any good and only caused me another problem on top of the allergies."

genna (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2018

For Asthma: "At 40 years old, I have had increasing allergies mostly with nasal congestion but also shortness of breathe. A couple years ago I was prescribed 10 mg of montelukast for a respiratory infection. Once I stopped taking the medication I realized the shortness of breathe returned so my doctor prescribed it continuously. I have a gained 40 lbs in the past two years with most around my upper back and stomach. I have been off the medication for one week and have noticed a remarkable reduction in puffiness/bloating in many areas of my body. I discontinued the use because their is a greater risk of weight gain then any benefit I had."

Lalayla (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This drug is not for everyone. I took it for just three days and got very depressed, even to the point having really dark thoughts, had a constant headache, an upset stomach, deep soreness in my teeth, mood swings, and irritability. However, it did help my allergies. Be very conscious of how you feel when you try this drug."

Scoot (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Asthma: "My blood pressure is skyrocketing on montelukast. I also have an fast heartbeat from it. No more of this medication for me. I do have moderate asthma. I will have to deal with it. Better than having a stroke."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018