User Reviews for Montelukast

Asthma
5.5

Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.9 290 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

For Asthma: "At 40 years old, I have had increasing allergies mostly with nasal congestion but also shortness of breathe. A couple years ago I was prescribed 10 mg of montelukast for a respiratory infection. Once I stopped taking the medication I realized the shortness of breathe returned so my doctor prescribed it continuously. I have a gained 40 lbs in the past two years with most around my upper back and stomach. I have been off the medication for one week and have noticed a remarkable reduction in puffiness/bloating in many areas of my body. I discontinued the use because their is a greater risk of weight gain then any benefit I had."

Lalayla (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This drug is not for everyone. I took it for just three days and got very depressed, even to the point having really dark thoughts, had a constant headache, an upset stomach, deep soreness in my teeth, mood swings, and irritability. However, it did help my allergies. Be very conscious of how you feel when you try this drug."

Scoot (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Asthma: "My blood pressure is skyrocketing on montelukast. I also have an fast heartbeat from it. No more of this medication for me. I do have moderate asthma. I will have to deal with it. Better than having a stroke."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "This has helped my allergies tremendously. Previously my allergies gave me intense fatigue, widespread pain, rhinitis, and exacerbated symptoms of fibromyalgia. I have a history of depression and anxiety and this did not trigger them for me; on the contrary, allergies tend to worsen my anxiety and montelukast has helped lessen it. I haven’t had any adverse side effects."

Emily (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2018

For Asthma: "I have problems with steroid inhalers so my GP tried this as an alternative. I have a history mental health issues and self harm. At time I took this medication I was okay mentally. From first pill I had anxiety attacks (unusual for me) within an hour, with very fast heart beat (110 + bpm) confusion, feeling of detachment, fear, paranoia. I woke up in the night feeling frightened, disturbed, dizy. By day 4 was off the rails, screaming at my partner, and losing the plot, I threw out the TV, wouldn't let anyone touch me. At one point my heart rate was 175 bpm as I was running around the house stuffing my possessions in binbags because they made me angry. This is the worst reaction I have ever had, including to psychoactive drugs like antidepressants and epilepsy meds."

Anna May 7, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Horrible side effects; my quality of life was zero. I felt spacey and couldn't think. Couldn't rise from my bed. I had interest in nothing. I felt feverish and dizzy. Worst of all was the terrible pain all over my body but especially in my legs and hips. A dangerous drug. But it helped my asthma. What's a person to do???"

carolesper (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My 8yo son and I have the same problem of allergy rhinitis though he has asthma. Every morning was all the worst and consumed 1 roll of tissue paper to wipe out our nose while coughing and sneezing at the same time . We have been to his doctor and he was prescribed (montelukast) for his allergy and inhaler for his asthma. So far his asthma quiet gone now and his allergy has also gone slowly and he’s not suffering now of sneezing every morning, no coughing at all. It happened sometimes that he has difficulty in sleeping but maybe its the side effect of this drug, as long as he has no more asthma and allergy rhinitis Im happy enough. This montelukast probably not good for everyone coz it might give different effect to your body so don't take it without your doctor’s adviced. On the other side , I am still suffering my allergy rhinitis until now since I got another brand name of medicine from my doctor and have to stopped it and maybe I will try to take montelukast instead and see how it works."

NPRJ May 4, 2018

For Asthma: "DO NOT USE SINGULAIR IF YOU HAVE HAD PAST PROBLEMS WITH DEPRESSION OR ANXIETY. Here's my story. I was put on singulair when younger so decided to ask my GP to put me on it again (22 now). It helped with my asthma a lot but I had to stop after 2 weeks as I was getting bad dreams and had heard that to be a side effect. So I went back on the inhaler and decided to only use singulair when doing vigorous activities. Took one yesterday and the dreams came back and also woke up today in a bad mood. Decided to take another pill today to keep the asthma under control while working and within an hour I was easily irritated, depressed and anxious. This continued and these emotions amplified until I was extremely angry. At the time I didn't know what was going on, so I got even more emotional and ended in a dark downward spiral. I've dealt with depression in the past so i just assumed it was "one of those days". It wasn't until I googled singulair and mood that I realised it was the singulair."

Tony April 30, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I used to take singular for asthma maintenance and it worked great. No side affects. Recently noticed a spike In needing my rescue inhaler so went to Dr to get back on singular. Well he wrote me a prescription for singular but at pharmacy thru substituted it wit montelukast and it's making me have fatigue, I can't sleep at night due to coughing. Bad coughing till I've thrown up . Memory loss where I can't recall words and I have a good vocabulary, now I can't think of words. I feel like I'm under water or in a haze. Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms?"

P (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Singular has been a lifesaver for me. It helps both my asthma and allergic rhinitis with no side effects. I go on it every spring and fall and it completely keeps me from needing steroids and usually rescue inhalers. I haven’t had a single urgent care visit since this med came on the market."

Skylark77 (taken for 10 years or more) April 17, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Was prescribed motelukast 3 years old for chronic mild asthma. Also, I began using a Breo inhaler. Now I rarely use my emergency inhaler. This spring I've developed sinusitis. My nose is stuffed up and has been for weeks. A lot of fatigue, too. Perhaps it's a bad sinus season. Until now, I'd say montelukast has helped me with no bad side effects."

job (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "My son first day on this drug was a mom’s worst nightmare. My son is 3 and a half old. On the first day, his nose was bleeding. The worst part was he was banging his leg on the furniture and saying “Mom, I want to hurt my self!” He kept saying it over and over. My son is the happiest and funniest boy you would ever meet. He is always happy and this was not like him at all. Today will be his first and will be the last day on this medication!!!!!"

Mom of Lukey (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Prescribed for Allergic Rhinitis but stopped taking after 10 days. Did not help with my symptoms and altered my mood. I'm a very positive person and I could feel this medication making me blue and very melancholy even though I would be having otherwise fantastic days. I don't really know what depression feels like but I assume that's how I was feeling."

Chris M Calgary (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I started taking this 4 days ago, and ever since I’ve been feeling extremely anxious and haven’t been able to sleep well. Went to the ER yesterday because I nearly fainted. Turns out, this medicine was most likely the culprit. Stopped taking it yesterday so hopefully the effects wear off soon."

Ty (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I took one pill this morning (as recommended by a friend who had trouble sleeping with it and found morning was better). It’s 3:18 am and I can’t sleep. Keep having waves of feeling like I can’t breathe. Pretty sure it’s anxiety. Won’t be taking this anymore. Hope the anxiety goes away."

Binkyluv (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Used to take Singulair and this is first year taking generic form. Got very bad headache lasting more than 16 hours, stomach ache, nausea, sweating and stuffy nose. Instead of improving allergy symptoms, it brought them in addition to other bad sufferings. I did not have such bad experience from Singulair. After 3 pills, I tried to return. Store would not accept them back."

badluck (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I've been having a respiratory infection for about 3 months with tons of phlegm every single day and asthma on top of it. My doctor prescribed antibiotics - they didn't do anything then finally I was prescribed the Singulair. After the first pill I noticed that I got much more infection symptoms my phlegm turn back to yellow and I started getting burning in my belly liver pain throbbing headache and neck ache. After the second pill I woke up at 4 a.m. with 104° fever and I was freezing so much that my teeth were chattering and my liver pain was off the charts I stopped taking it immediately but the fever lasted for another 3 days and caught the flu. I would not recommend this drug for anybody that has any type of infection because it will stop your own immune system from fighting the infection and your infection symptoms will get way worse."

Joe P March 14, 2018

For Asthma: "After several months of needing a rescue inhaler every night, I asked to be put on this drug instead of an inhaler because younger me was afraid of inhaler side effects. This was a horrible choice. I started getting thoughts of death on an almost daily basis for about a year before I tried stopping the montelukast. Within six months I was feeling much better. Granted, I've had depression in the past, but I do feel like this medication has something to do with this episode. It never really worked for me, so going off if wasn't a huge loss. I'm on Advair 500/50 now and it's worked beautifully for me; I only have to use my albuterol once or twice a night per week now!"

Youmu (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

For Asthma: "I developed pychosis three weeks in taking this combined with certirizine. Overall, I've been on and off the montelukast for about a year. I wanted to take naps, a lot. Everything centered around energy and not having it, no matter what. I would go to the gym feeling weak, and both the weakness and fatigue have affected my progress. On and off this medicine because I'm trying to go without it and replace it with natural supplements."

Marciels (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

For COPD: "Great improvement in my COPD. Currently using Dulera 2 puffs 2 times a day. Now down to 1 puff 2 times. Day. Many more COPD patients should be on this drug."

Jay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been taking Singular for many years (around 15 years). When I first started taking it, the Singular worked great. It was not a generic and I was able to get off steroids by taking it. Within the past 3 months when I started taking one of the new generics, made by Camber Pharmaceutical and my wheezing and coughing started again. This new generic does not work. I found a bottle with about ten of the other Singular and started taking them and they worked. I tried again to take the new ones and started wheezing and coughing again."

Holcombe February 14, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I used to take two Benadryl every night just to breath at night. I decided to go ahead and see an allergist to get allergy shots. She gave me a script for Singulair. It really, really works! I have been taking it for over two months now and I am thrilled. I quit buying 100 capsule bottles of Benadryl just to breathe at night. I have not had any side effects. I don't wake up nauseous and I don't go through a million tissues anymore. I have just started my shots, three shots twice a week (6 shots a week). I have heard Singulair doesn't work for everyone. My allergist said it works best for patients with severe allergies and not as well for those with mild allergies. I am hoping my body doesn't get used to the Singulair and it becomes less effective like it did with all the other prescription allergy medicines. Time will tell! "

Cyndirella February 10, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I've been taking Singulair 10 mg for over 3 years now. It always seemed to control all my allergy symptoms with no problems. However, in the past 6 months, I have post nasal drip and a dry, hacking chronic cough that sometimes makes me throw-up from coughing so hard. I at first thought I had a food allergy, but I have crossed that off my list after weeks of writing down everything I ate, and the symptoms did not disappear. I have finally come to the conclusion that my cough is caused by the Singulair. I started taking one every other day, and on the days I did NOT take it, my cough subsided. When I took the pill, the cough returned. This isn't just an annoying cough. This is the kind of cough that got me sent home from work many times! Aside from the embarrassment of uncontrollable coughing, my sleep has lacked and my social life has dwindled down to nothing! Several doctors appointments later, after being told to stick with the Singulair, I will NEVER take it again!"

MLT72 February 10, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Horrible side effects. I put my 5 yr old on this and she started having anger issues and anxiety. After several months she started having tics that became severe to the point I thought she was developing Tourette’s syndrome. After research I found this happening to thousands of other children. I immediately took her off this medication and just pray that the tics go away. I’ve heard with some kids they never did. Just awful, I was never warned about the tics just the anger."

Jen951 February 8, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have seasonal allergies. I have allergic rhinitis. I was blowing out yellow and coughing up yellow for 2 months. And chest congestion. I take it everyday at 6 pm. I noticed a big difference. I got relief. This medicine helped me so much. I am very grateful toward my doctor. It really worked for me. I got lucky. Elizabeth lucchio."

Betty lucchio. February 2, 2018