User Reviews for Montelukast

Asthma
5.4

Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.9 303 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

For Asthma: "I have always struggles with asthma, especially with exercise and colds. This helped me a lot day to day but also with my asthma. Most of all, it prevents my colds from damaging my lungs from coughing."

Kells (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 12, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was having bad allergies my nose was really swollen. Doc prescribed this for me and within a few days it was gone. Helps with my summer allergies but I still need my other medications. Also, I had a few times when I felt I could not breathe, which is rare So I took this medicine, and felt better and just a few minutes."

Who nut (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I was having bad shortness of breath that distressed me. My doctor put me on singular and it saved me! On day one I noticed a big difference within an hour. They say take at night but I take it in the morning. Works like a charm with no side effects. I was advised to take the generic as it was cheaper with my plan"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have asthma caused by a year round allergy from mould and it could be very bad. I have uncontrolled allergy and later progress to mild asthma for a very long time. I have suffered 3 sinus surgeries and countless sinus infection. Montelukast is no short of miracle. It is able to quickly control my symptoms when using with Dyjmista and advair inhaler. However, I starting to have symptoms of muscle pain and joint pain all over and feel tired. I took me a long time to figured out what was the cause. I finally able to get off montelukast while maintain control of my allergy with dymista and advair. Most of body and joint pain dissipated after a few days of discontinuation of montelukast. Furthermore my fatigue have been improving since montelukast discontinuation. This drug is very effective for me in the short term but the long term side effect is just not acceptable."

eakawit (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I’m taking this medication along with 40mg Ompramazole twice daily with 300mg Rantidine at bedtime. Diagnosed with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) and environmental allergies causing me to cough day & night, gagging and involuntarily expelling clear mucus. After 5 weeks no change. I’m now on Day 3 of Singulair which I take about 6pm. It seems to lessen my coughing episodes & they are less exaggerated but when using the bathroom at night I am dizzy and find myself holding on to walls and doorways to walk. When I wake up in the morning the dizziness is gone. I wonder if this will go away,"

chicagopd (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

For Asthma: "I took Montelukast for my asthma and allergies and it definitely works to control both of these, but the side effects are bad. As directed by my doctor, I would go on and off of it during the bad times of the year--this caused severe exhaustion for several weeks. The worst side effect, which is not something they mention, is the weight gain and inability to lose weight. I really didn't notice it at first, as I started exercising regularly again at around the same time. Fast forward a year and a half, I am tracking everything I eat and the exercise I am doing--consistently 1000 calories/day deficit. My weight does not budge for four months. I start researching and something I read mentions medication. Since Montelukast is the only thing I'm on, I look up "Montelukast and weight loss" and find stories from people who had similar issues. I stopped taking it and within a month 10 pounds fell off of me, while eating normally. Montelukast definitely works, but beware the side effects."

alwaysAllergic August 24, 2018

For Bronchospasm Prophylaxis: "Montelukast is pretty effective at blocking your histamine reaction to pollen and other allergens. I must say, it works. However, if you read the information that comes with Montelukast from your pharmacist, you will see many different side effects. One of these side effects is DEPRESSION. I ignored this for some weeks, but after viewing a sad incident (not related to me), I became depressed. Ordinarily, seeing that incident would have disturbed me, but I would get over it and bounce back. But my sadness has lingered on, and I blame the Montelukast. Be aware of any sadness or depression with this drug. Also, for allergies, I recommend a natural product which contains Quercetin among other herbs. This stuff is amazing. At first take 2 caps twice a day and you can go to 1 cap twice a day. Even asthmatics have praised this product on Amazon. Sudafed and 1 Claritin a day can be taken with the Breathe. Best wishes to you all"

Ann Wilson (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this for severe chest and nasal congestion, and cough. I can't take antihistamines so was prescribed this. After the first night started getting headaches, sinus pain, dizziness, and fatigue. By the end of the fourth day, all had worsened to the point where I almost dozed off while driving, and experienced severe pain and swelling above my gum line where your sinus cavity is located. Read the documentation from the pharmacy and discovered these are all side effects. Stopped using it and the pain and swelling is my mouth is almost gone. Did little or nothing to relieve the cough or congestion, in fact it seemed to aggravate it. The effects will vary according to the individual , but make sure to read about and stay alert for any side effects."

Lirrguy (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Lifesaver! Seasonal allergies always leads to sinus infections, ear infections, bronchitis. For the first time in my life I haven't been short of breath. Day 1 within an hour my lungs feel open and free. I feel fantastic! Better then prednisone!"

kcladyz August 3, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "The generic is out. I have taken both and there is no difference. Buy the generic and do not waste your money on the name brand."

overpriced July 25, 2018

For Asthma: "Went to urgent care for breathing troubles. The nurse did a breathing treatment and prescribed me a rescue inhaler, zpac for inflammation, cetirizine and montelukast (singulair.) I was pregnant at the time. All the drugs were B-rated or above except for the singulair -a D for pregnancy. I was hesitant of this drug therefore from the start. I took it for about a week with no improvements. I woke up with a headache each day and experienced throat tightness and labored breathing- not asthma wheeziness from it. One night my throat got very tight so I took the rescue inhaler and saw no improvement. I went to the ER. The doc determined I had an anxiety reaction and not an asthma attack as my breathing sounded very clear. That night I decided to ditch the singulair and never take it again in my life. This drug caused more breathing troubles and anxiety in less than a week. I'm so glad I went with my instinct and quit the drug to protect me and my unborn child."

Cutiegoose July 24, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been using this drug for just over a week for severe allergies. It has not helped at all. Sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes......all still severe. I have had no side effects so far. I am stopping the meds. No point in taking them. They should have helped by now."

Sunny (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been taking this drug once daily for about 2 weeks. I have had one anxiety attack and noticed first one shoulder started to hurt now am at where both shoulders both knees both arms and both legs hurt now. I have stopped taking it and now I have to be taking something for the pain. I am still congested after a month so it has not done any good and only caused me another problem on top of the allergies."

genna (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2018

For Asthma: "At 40 years old, I have had increasing allergies mostly with nasal congestion but also shortness of breathe. A couple years ago I was prescribed 10 mg of montelukast for a respiratory infection. Once I stopped taking the medication I realized the shortness of breathe returned so my doctor prescribed it continuously. I have a gained 40 lbs in the past two years with most around my upper back and stomach. I have been off the medication for one week and have noticed a remarkable reduction in puffiness/bloating in many areas of my body. I discontinued the use because their is a greater risk of weight gain then any benefit I had."

Lalayla (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This drug is not for everyone. I took it for just three days and got very depressed, even to the point having really dark thoughts, had a constant headache, an upset stomach, deep soreness in my teeth, mood swings, and irritability. However, it did help my allergies. Be very conscious of how you feel when you try this drug."

Scoot (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Asthma: "My blood pressure is skyrocketing on montelukast. I also have an fast heartbeat from it. No more of this medication for me. I do have moderate asthma. I will have to deal with it. Better than having a stroke."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "This has helped my allergies tremendously. Previously my allergies gave me intense fatigue, widespread pain, rhinitis, and exacerbated symptoms of fibromyalgia. I have a history of depression and anxiety and this did not trigger them for me; on the contrary, allergies tend to worsen my anxiety and montelukast has helped lessen it. I haven’t had any adverse side effects."

Emily (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2018

For Asthma: "I have problems with steroid inhalers so my GP tried this as an alternative. I have a history mental health issues and self harm. At time I took this medication I was okay mentally. From first pill I had anxiety attacks (unusual for me) within an hour, with very fast heart beat (110 + bpm) confusion, feeling of detachment, fear, paranoia. I woke up in the night feeling frightened, disturbed, dizy. By day 4 was off the rails, screaming at my partner, and losing the plot, I threw out the TV, wouldn't let anyone touch me. At one point my heart rate was 175 bpm as I was running around the house stuffing my possessions in binbags because they made me angry. This is the worst reaction I have ever had, including to psychoactive drugs like antidepressants and epilepsy meds."

Anna May 7, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Horrible side effects; my quality of life was zero. I felt spacey and couldn't think. Couldn't rise from my bed. I had interest in nothing. I felt feverish and dizzy. Worst of all was the terrible pain all over my body but especially in my legs and hips. A dangerous drug. But it helped my asthma. What's a person to do???"

carolesper (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My 8yo son and I have the same problem of allergy rhinitis though he has asthma. Every morning was all the worst and consumed 1 roll of tissue paper to wipe out our nose while coughing and sneezing at the same time . We have been to his doctor and he was prescribed (montelukast) for his allergy and inhaler for his asthma. So far his asthma quiet gone now and his allergy has also gone slowly and he’s not suffering now of sneezing every morning, no coughing at all. It happened sometimes that he has difficulty in sleeping but maybe its the side effect of this drug, as long as he has no more asthma and allergy rhinitis Im happy enough. This montelukast probably not good for everyone coz it might give different effect to your body so don't take it without your doctor’s adviced. On the other side , I am still suffering my allergy rhinitis until now since I got another brand name of medicine from my doctor and have to stopped it and maybe I will try to take montelukast instead and see how it works."

NPRJ May 4, 2018

For Asthma: "DO NOT USE SINGULAIR IF YOU HAVE HAD PAST PROBLEMS WITH DEPRESSION OR ANXIETY. Here's my story. I was put on singulair when younger so decided to ask my GP to put me on it again (22 now). It helped with my asthma a lot but I had to stop after 2 weeks as I was getting bad dreams and had heard that to be a side effect. So I went back on the inhaler and decided to only use singulair when doing vigorous activities. Took one yesterday and the dreams came back and also woke up today in a bad mood. Decided to take another pill today to keep the asthma under control while working and within an hour I was easily irritated, depressed and anxious. This continued and these emotions amplified until I was extremely angry. At the time I didn't know what was going on, so I got even more emotional and ended in a dark downward spiral. I've dealt with depression in the past so i just assumed it was "one of those days". It wasn't until I googled singulair and mood that I realised it was the singulair."

Tony April 30, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I used to take singular for asthma maintenance and it worked great. No side affects. Recently noticed a spike In needing my rescue inhaler so went to Dr to get back on singular. Well he wrote me a prescription for singular but at pharmacy thru substituted it wit montelukast and it's making me have fatigue, I can't sleep at night due to coughing. Bad coughing till I've thrown up . Memory loss where I can't recall words and I have a good vocabulary, now I can't think of words. I feel like I'm under water or in a haze. Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms?"

P (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Singular has been a lifesaver for me. It helps both my asthma and allergic rhinitis with no side effects. I go on it every spring and fall and it completely keeps me from needing steroids and usually rescue inhalers. I haven’t had a single urgent care visit since this med came on the market."

Skylark77 (taken for 10 years or more) April 17, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Was prescribed motelukast 3 years old for chronic mild asthma. Also, I began using a Breo inhaler. Now I rarely use my emergency inhaler. This spring I've developed sinusitis. My nose is stuffed up and has been for weeks. A lot of fatigue, too. Perhaps it's a bad sinus season. Until now, I'd say montelukast has helped me with no bad side effects."

job (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: "My son first day on this drug was a mom’s worst nightmare. My son is 3 and a half old. On the first day, his nose was bleeding. The worst part was he was banging his leg on the furniture and saying “Mom, I want to hurt my self!” He kept saying it over and over. My son is the happiest and funniest boy you would ever meet. He is always happy and this was not like him at all. Today will be his first and will be the last day on this medication!!!!!"

Mom of Lukey (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018