User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

Asthma 84 reviews 143 medications

5.8
Summary of Montelukast reviews 225 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Montelukast

For Asthma: "I have asthma and especially exercise-induced asthma, making it hard to run or do other high intensity sports. This works like a CHARM to shut off my asthma, and exercise-induced asthma, and also resolves allergies. However, it does seem to give me crazy dreams, makes me sleep in more than I normally would, and seems to increase my preexisting anxiety (but since I know this anxiety might be due to the medication, I am fairly capable of reminding myself that it's not real, and moving on). I only take it when I really need it, because of these side effects. As an adult I feel I can manage the side effects, but I'm not sure if it would work for kids. This drug has been absolutely life-changing and essential for me in controlling my asthma!"

sunshine girl001 May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I was put on this drug for Asthma control (coughing up clear jelly type mucus from all my inhaler use) and allergies as I kept getting chest infections and sinusitis as well as bad asthma symptoms which I've had all my life. My inhalers were no longer working sufficiently so a doctor at the hospital prescribed me this drug. I can say that I felt a difference very quickly and have never been able to breath so well. It has made such a difference to my daily life. I have only taken my blue inhalers once since on it and I don't feel so out of breath in the cold and when doing exercise anymore. It has definitely helped with my allergies too. Life changer for me! I haven't been on it long enough to advise any side effects but so far so good."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have severe Allergies to tree pollen. I took my first dose of this and within an hour and a half I had severe shaking, chills and tingling tongue. Extreme headache. Sitting here wondering whether I should head to the ER."

Minicoopgirl May 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I actually have a non-allergic rhinitis and rather than my nose getting blocked it's usually my inner ears/vestibular system and just a feeling of having a fish tank over my head. I've been to plenty of ENT's over the 8 years and none of the medications they'd prescribe would work, most if the time antihistamines would actually block my head and dry out my mouth even further. This has worked the best so far, the only not so awesome thing about it is it feels like my allergy moved down to my throat and even though I'm not dizzy for the first time in years each time I breathe in through my nose it hurts a little. Still, better than anything else I tried!"

Saintasia (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "This drug is saving my Spring. For 10 years now, since moving to the US and developing pollen allergy (Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis), I can barely function in the months of April and May due to itchy painful eyes 24/7. By recommendation of a friend, I asked my allergist to try it. I am not kidding when I say that it worked in a few hours and I finally could function like a human being again. I see a lot of bad reviews here, but this drug literally was the one to save me from the despair I've been every Spring. To complete the "service" I also use a few eyedrops for relief: a corticosteroid, ketorolac 0.5 % (which is like an Advil for the eyes) OTC Zaditor for allergy, and Neomycin ointment around the eyes."

ChutzpahReviewer (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "My doctor prescribed me singulair after my allergy test results came back. Went straight to reviews and seeing so many bad reviews I got worried. I have a history of anxiety and panic attack and people were stating it's only getting worse when you take singular. I even rang my doctor saying I'm really afraid to take them but he politely asked me to give them a go. Not only my allergies settled down and symptoms were really bad I must say. I got back my sense of smell, I could breathe through my nose again, my sleeping patterns improved a lot ( some people experienced nightmares after taking singular, in my case I finally could sleep through the night having nicest dreams ever)Anxiety and panic attacks went away. In my case it did wonders"

Dee Dee78 May 8, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma: "I've been taking montelukast for about a month for asthma and it hasn't changed a thing!"

Steveso May 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "Now 67 years, my health plan only permits generic montelukast medication (generic singulair). I had a very bad experience with this medication. Suffered insomnia, anxiety, and being with insomnia all night went into a deep sleep. When my daughter arrived had a memory lapse and being questioned by my daughter was giving incoherent replies. After being questioned for a while I regained conciousness of my daily routine. I imagine I had a blackout experience. Now I'm trying to get original singulair since I did use it before when I was younger and had none of this experience. I did quit taking this generic form montelukast medication since the next day after quitting I slept very well. Will try to purchase singulair in it's original form."

Marsol May 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma: "I have had asthma for 40 plus years, which became progressively worse until I was having an asthma attack every day and using at least one salbutamol inhaler every week. My preventative meds were 1000mg beclamethasone and 100mg of salmeterol per day. I had broken sleep every night, waking to use my inhaler. My Doctor prescribed Montelukast and from the first night my asthma was almost entirely gone. Ten years on I very rarely use my reliever, at most three to four times a year!!! It has been a miracle drug to me, the only down side is that I believe my temper is probably worse. Not terrible but a much shorter fuse and more explosive."

DDWDG May 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Had severe allergies causing laryngitis. Lost my voice for 13 days. Went to urgent care and was told to take Zyrtec and Flonase. The day after visiting urgent care I was experiencing severe eye pain and could not open my right eye. I then went to emergency department. ER doctor told me it was severe case of allergies and prescribed ketorolac for my eyes. Three days later seen my PCP and she prescribed singulair and told me to take it in evening. Within two hours my voice came back. I am so impressed with this medication. No side effects noticed."

Ptrk333 May 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Was given this drug by my PCP because he thought my "cold" was allergies related. Took the first one and didn't feel great but then again. I wasn't feeling well anyway. Next day I took the second pill and within 10 minutes thought I was having a heart attack. The chest pains were terrible and I knew it was from this drug. I am super sensitive to many drugs."

Sherrysue (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Do not take this. Research this drug before giving it to your child. It has been known to cause neuropsychiatric episodes when taking it. It is a very dangerous drug and I would NOT recommend this to anyone, at any age."

Crystal_Rebecca (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "Caused severe anger and self control issues in my son."

Miker777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma: "My daughter has taken this for about 8 years. She's always seemed to have extreme emotional reactions to the smallest things. I asked her doctor multiple times if it might be the montelukast she takes causing this. Dr. said "no, reported side effects just happen when the child starts taking it. Must just be her personality". I know what is normal and her reactions were extreme. Everything came to a head this past winter when she started having obsessions about eternity. We took her off the montelukast. About 2 weeks later she had a psychotic break. She was crying all day saying she didn't want to exist. It has taken 2 months to get her back to semi-normal. This drug is not good for children!!! Her experience is not unusual!"

WATCH FOR PSYCHIATRIC EFFECTS! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "This was prescribed to my 5 year old for his allergies. It worked wonderfully (2 weeks) until this week. He started complaining of leg and stomach pains, then the diarrhea. We are on day 3 of the diarrhea and he just can't handle anymore. At first I thought it was just bad luck until a little research and reading these post. He will be stopping the medication."

Adrmoy March 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma: "I'm a 34 year old who has had asthma for years. Over the past 12 mths my asthma has become increasingly difficult to manage, and was severely impacting my sleep and my day to day life. As a result doctor has been trying some new medication. After just a couple days on 10mg of this medication my asthma had significantly improved. Then the side effects started. I lost hearing in my ear and had loud ringing in my ear. I was sleeping non stop, couldn't concentrate or retain information and was suffering from terrible anxiety which I have never experienced in my life. I felt like all I wanted to do was sleep and never wake up. I have never felt so awful in my life. I stopped the medication that night and immediately felt 100% back to normal."

Fionajames March 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For COPD: "I've had COPD for several years and was prescribed Singular (montelukast) to prevent sleep time exacerbation's. I mean severe too! One night when in the hospital, boom! It hit me and I was even on oxygen. Well, since taking montelukast, even as the generic of Singular (as some may agree, generics often don't have the same effect as brand names), I have had no night time problems."

Sir Tin (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I was started on it after the first acute sudden asthma attack of my life and the inhalers weren't working... which landed me in the emergency room and had some continuing lung spasms in the weeks following this. Once on it, for the first time in many years I was no longer waking up wheezing and with shortness of breath at night. It's been wonderful! Fortunately, I have never had any of the side effects noted by others. I remember feeling early on that singulair may have contributed to weight gain, but it was very hard to tell as I was at that age - late 40s - when this begins to happen naturally. If so, I certainly would have preferred to not to gain weight, but the benefits of having a "normal" life with singulair have been fantastic"

l2t233 (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I had severe allergies and could barely breathe and had to sit up while sleeping since it was so bad trying to breathe while laying on my side while sleeping. I was prescribed this medicine and the doctor told me that I would know within 15 minutes or so whether it was going to work or not. I was totally surprised how fast my allergies went away. My breathing became normal and stopped the sneezing. I researched this medicine after taking it and was surprised about the side effects but so far not a single side effect. I am a totally satisfied customer."

vinamar March 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been taking singulair on and off for years. In the last two years I have had 4 severe asthma attacks and the singulair has not helped. It may have helped my allergic rhinitis. But it does not help my asthma. I will probably stop it."

gadfly (taken for 10 years or more) February 28, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma: "Hysterical crying bouts in my 6 year old son on just the second night of taking it. He woke and came to the side of my bed in almost a dazed state, crying and whimpering, when questioned he couldn't even speak! Didn't realize how awful this drug was untilI did the research. It causes childhood depression, nightmares, hallucinations."

AsthmaMom7788 February 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma: "Soooo I started taking singulair montelukast for about a month now. It's been helping my asthma a lot but I've been having horrible depression. I'm very angry most of the time. Everything and anything anyone says will make me irate. I've been having suicidal thoughts. Honestly I rather cough up a lung than be crazy because of this medicine"

Neednewlungs February 20, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Allergy testing came back negative but when I kept having cold weather induced asthma my doctor wanted me to try this. I'm already on symbicort & was doing good except cold weather. Well, the montelukestat helped it completely. We had a very cold winter this year & I was totally fine outdoors. Also I don't have any of the side effects some people mentioned, I feel great!!!"

Turn2Jesus (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma: "Taking for only a week or so for severe allergies/asthma. I am going to stop taking it and see how I feel because this medicine gives me a funny taste in my mouth and all food and drinks (except chocolate) taste weird to me."

Billyvannuys (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017