User Reviews for Montelukast

5.4

Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.8 340 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 20, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I have mild late onset asthma. I was prescribed montelukast last year as I was being troubled by a night time cough. I took it for a month and the cough went. As a test for myself I then didn't take it for a month and the cough returned. However, the prime reason for my posting this review concerns hay fever and my allergic reaction to certain types of insect bites, horse flies for example. I have suffered from severe hay fever for over 50 years. In addition to taking antihistamine I have had to carry about eye drops, nasal spray and an asthma puffer. This summer - my first on montelukast - I have had no hay fever symptoms at all and my allergic reaction to those insect bites has been markedly reduced. What more can I say....."

Steph · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: "WARNING!!! I was prescribed this medication 9 days ago after a serious asthma attack. I’ve had mild asthma (mostly exercise induced) for about 20 years but haven’t been on preventative meds since I was in high school. Since beginning this medication last week, I have experienced major mood and psychological changes - this medication is awful. I have felt completely foggy, out of it, dissociated from reality, disinterested in anything, unable to concentrate, shaky, fast heartbeat, my teeth hurt and feel like they are covered in a weird film. Seriously I felt like I was in danger of my own actions. I am never taking Singulair again and I would caution every person who is prescribed to really pay attention to how you feel because this is NOT normal. I read that that medication has a pretty quick half-life so it will hopefully be out of my system in the next 30 hours."

Kc · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This medication really helped my allergies! It was so severe this year I was constantly uncomfortable. Felt like I couldn’t breathe. I was starting to think I had come down with the flu or another illness. This medication helped my allergies so much, the best medication I’ve ever taken for allergies!!"

RoosterLover · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

For Asthma: "I have been on montelukast for two weeks. It helps the asthma at night, not as much during the day. I am still having to use my inhaler. I am having terrible pains in my legs and my legs, feet and ankles are very swollen. I stopped it one day and the pain and swelling got better, so I started back on the drug again. I am at the point where my swelling and pain is so bad that I will be stopping the pill today. This is frightening. I will be calling my doctor and asking for another remedy."

Kgolemon · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took this med for 2 days. On the 2nd day I felt a change in myself. I always question myself because medications creep me out anyways. Today on a Sunday, the pharmacist from Walgreens called to ask how the new med was. I've never had a phone call asking how I feel on a new med. That's when I started reading about it. Omgoodness this terrible that it is even on the market. I'm 53 and have used allergy meds, asthma inhalers through the years, that worked. I don't understand why the dr would write for such a horrible drug when there are others out there that have worked for years. This is really sad that a dr. That I trust would give me something like this. Beware"

NewYorker · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 14, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I had adult onset of asthma in 2013 (also had it as a kid). My Allergist put me on 10mg Montelukast (generic for singular) per day in the evening or before sleeping. I really thought that after short term treatment my asthma would subside. However, that has not been the case which means that I now have to take this med everyday probably for rest of my life. It has been a miracle drug for me. I have night time asthma where if I don't take Montelukast, I wake up in the middle of the might with chest tightness, wheezing and coughing. With it, I am able to sleep properly without any symptoms. Time to time I do break the 10mg into half to make it 5g and it still works well for me. Luckily I have not experienced from any physical side effects though psychological side effects are tough to assess. I've read it can cause mood changes/anxiety/aggression, etc. While I don't have extreme case of these symptoms, all of us suffer from these things time to time so it's not so black and white."

Chuck · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "After 1 dose I woke up at 3 am with Severe chest pains and diarrhea. I Could not hold my urination until I Made it to the bathroom. Finally I Fell asleep with my adjustable bed Raised to sitting. The pains stayed throughout the night and more pains Today. The chest pains subsided. Today I am nervous, anxious, and Still in bed @6pm."

Carla1486 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took montelukast for allergic Rhinitis. I couldn't breathe at night through my nose. It seemed to work for about 6 weeks then I woke up with severe flu symptoms for no reason. Read that this is one of the side effects. Stopped taking the pill and 3 days later the effects were gone."

jb · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 1, 2019

For Asthma: "my daughter is 4 years old and developed these behaviors Over the course of 18 months. we were not informed about any of these side effects and no monitoring was done either. Extreme fear Eczema Vivid Nightmares extreme fear of sleeping Facial infections Sleep disturbance Bed wetting Burning genitals and eyes Anxiety Depression Aggression/ hostility Attention problems Bad dreams Hallucinations Hearing voices Irritability Memory problems Headaches Sore throat Cough Stomach pain Skin infections Runny nose Itching genitals Confusional state Crying inconsolable Difficulty concentrating Difficulty drawing Intentional self-harm Irrational fear of the dark Growling and hissing we assumed all this was normal behaviour for our, at the time 2 - 3 year old daughter. I wouldn't recommend this drug at all without proper monitoring"

Moomoo · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 23, 2019

For Asthma: "Worked brilliantly to improve my asthma and my daughters asthma, who was also prescribed it. Unfortunately both my daughter and I, gained an incredible amount of weight whilst on the medication, which is terribly difficult to shed."

Bink · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2019

For Asthma: "I was diagnosed with allergies/asthma at 3 I’m now 44. I started smoking at 17 and since never real had attacks unless I caught a cold. I got sick last fall with what we thought was bronchitis. I quit smoking I was so bad. For the next 6 months I was at the ER 6 times and on prednisone 5 times. I was told to give it time for my lungs to heal. Last month my brilliant new doctor put me on this medication. I can’t say enough about how this has helped me. I can actually feel it working. This may sound crazy but I will start to feel my chest start to tighten then it stops. Where as before when I would feel it tighten up I would start wheezing and coughing. I have not had any issues with side effects but I’m already on Prozac. At this time, as out of control my asthma was, I would live with nightmares if I had to. For myself this medication is as important to me as air!!"

jlw · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "1.5 months on Singulair and so far very happy. I have not had asthma flareup since beginning Singulair. This is a big deal for me after 1 year of regular flareups. I rarely need to use my Ventolin, still on Breo daily. I can breathe through my nose which is very new for me :) The earlier reviews scared me, but so far no issues with anxiety. I did have some weird dreams at first, but that has lessened. I'm very glad for the progress so far."

Jessica June 9, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I’ve been taking this medication montelukast since I was 7 and I am now 19. Since taking it my asthma has been average. The mental side effects in my opinion outweigh any good effects it has had on me. I suffer from bouts of anxiety attacks and increasingly dark thoughts. It makes me aggressive. I find myself having severe mood swings. Every time I take a break from it I find myself feeling better but as I begin to take it again I have another mental episode. I feel this drug needs more labels of warning and should not be prescribed until more research into the medical effects has been done."

Bigdaddy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Took Montelukast for 4 weeks. Experienced extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, anxiety, tooth pain. Stopped taking for 3 weeks and then tried taking it again. Stopped again after 1 week due to extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, anxiety, bad shortness of breath, and a few other side effects. At this point I am hoping my shortness of breath heals itself. So far its been almost 1 week since I stopped taking it and I am still short of breath. Does anybody know if my breathing will return to normal? Cause I'm a bit worried."

Gomo · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Honestly this medicine has helped my allergies drastically but my anxiety is off the wall. I’ve been on it for about 2 weeks... the first few days I was okay but around day 3 I stopped being able to sleep and started waking up with really bad anxiety and muscle/joint pains. I wish they could make this medicine without the side effects :("

sam · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2019

For Asthma: "I have taken this medicine for about 2 years. I do not know if it has helped me because my asthma is not bad all the time. I do know that I used to have bad panic attacks when I was young (62 now) and they went away. I have had several surgeries in the past two years so I thought my anxiety was due to my heath issues. Today again I had a anxiety attack and suicidal random thoughts for no reason! I finally read all the side effects for my meds. The only one that has these psychosis word warnings is this one!!!!!!!!!! I am mad,,, I will go off it tomorrow.. I don't need to take something confusing me and making me psychotic Beware of this medicine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

CC May 15, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I’m a doctor and have been skeptical about Singulair as it’s used much more widely in France than here in the UK. I’ve developed adult onset asthma and for the first time I had a bout where it was not well-controlled. I looked up the drug on medical websites and every trial says how effective it is for suppressing eosinophils, reducing asthma preventer and reliever medication. So I started taking it. My sleep has been affected I have insomnia. I was in a terrible snappy mood with my kids over the weekend and couldn’t figure out why. And I feel so sad. Just low can’t think of anything positive and felt close to panic attack’s last night. In the bath my legs have felt shaky for a few nights which is bizarre and I put down to biking at the gym but I’m really fit and haven’t changed my routine so this doesn’t make sense. I’m going to stop the medication and keep it for acute episodes but unfortunately for me I don’t seem able to handle it long term. I wish I could."

Keloggs81 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 12, 2019

For Asthma: "My seven year old son was given montelukast from the age of 2 for his asthma. We were not told of any side effects at the time. Although since an increase in his medication from the age of six we noticed a massive change in his behaviour. He went from such a happy, outgoing child to the complete opposite. Constant mood swings, aggressive, angry all the time, hating himself, terrible nightmares to the point we can not get him to go to bed. We became that desperate trying to help him we even looked into seeing a therapist when my mum just by chance seen a newspaper article on montelukast explaining someone’s terrible experience and how it changed them mentally and emotionally. We have just stopped him taking the drug after all these years and seeing my happy boy coming back. Just wish I had read up on it sooner."

DP May 8, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: "This montelukast medication is awful! But at least reading these reviews puts me at ease that I’m not going to go insane cause that’s literally where I felt I was heading after just 3 weeks into taking these without realising it was these. Then 3 days ago when I looked at the instructions and other information and stopped taking them immediately. Never in my life have I experienced mental issues before taking this, and all of a sudden on montelukast I was having a panic attacks, feeling anxious and depressed, getting tremors just the most horrible things that I never understood before I felt this! Now I know what people go through. But this drug causes these effects and apparently it’s not that uncommon either if you read the instructions, 1 in 100 will experience these side affects, in the scale of things that isn’t that rare at all I think. These side effects are dying down but far from normal yet, clearly the reviews here speak volumes. Horrible horrible drug, Stay clear of montelukast!!!!!!"

SMP April 29, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Oh my, reading these comments are making me sick to my stomach...my allergist put me on Montelukast to help with sneezing about 6-7 weeks ago. Although it has helped with that, my mental health has declined rapidly. I have severe anxiety, am unable to sleep on most days without sleep aid, I cry often, am angry, had my first panic attack and constantly arguing with my husband and mother for no reason. If it weren’t for such loving and understanding family members, I’m sure my husband would have left me and my mother would have disowned me. I work with HCP’s ( Health Care Practitioner) in the community and one Nurse Practioner friend/colleague warned me about the side effects because she & her daughter had the same issues. I disregarded them since my allergist blew the mental health claims off like they were extremely rare and it would be unlikely that it would happen. I took my last dose yesterday, flushed the rest down the toilet & called my PCP to ask him to place me back on antidepressants at least until this passes!"

KC · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I was prescribed this to help with asthma control I noticed in a few days that my rhinitis had significantly improved, as well as the constant sensation of mucous at the back of my throat Asthma is generally better controlled I do not think Singulair has helped with my exercise induced bronchospasm as I still take ventolin prior to each cardio session/run."

OS Girl April 2, 2019

For Asthma: "Great medication I use to wake up gasping for air every night. My allergy Doctor gave me this with an inhaler. I take this medication at night. It will make you sleepy. It has been 3 years and no side effects. But, I do wake up very rarely gasping. But, this is only during allergy season when pollen count is extremely high."

Glenda Masanegra April 1, 2019

For Asthma: "I have been coughing for 2 months when my doctor said I have asthma and he recommended this meds. He did say it might take awhile to completely take coughing away but in 1 week timed its gone... my meds for 30 days is not consumed... this meds is great!"

Will · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I only used this drug one time, and I took it to help with allergies. I took a 10 mg tab of montelukast at around 10pm. At 3:30am I woke up and had a panic attack. The whole next day I was trying to fight off panic attacks until around 8:30pm when the drug started to die down. I never took another. The panic attacks have stopped."

Redhdstepson · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 20, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My sinuses were affected so bad during allergy season I could not go half a day without watery, itchy swollen eyes, completely plugged and swollen sinuses thanks to montelukast daily I can actually function and enjoy the indoors and outdoors again"