User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Montelukast has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 491 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Allergic Rhinitis
6.4
Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.4 491 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Han November 9, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I felt the need to write this review for anyone who is scared due to possible side effects. I was in here about a week ago reading through all the reviews just absolutely terrified. I told my husband I wasn't going to take it. I suffer from horrible sinusitis, and I've tried everything. My husband talked my down, and he said we would monitor my behavior closely. First night I took it before bed. I had every expectation to wake up in some kind of horrible headspace. I woke up after a good night's sleep and didn't feel any different. My symptoms we're about the same as well. I have consistently taken it for 7 days now and my sense of smell is coming back a little. I don't notice ANY side effects. I feel myself. If anything I feel happier because I can kind of smell again! It has only been a week, but it has given me hope. So if you are here trying to read reviews to make yourself feel better. Listen. I was completely psyched out about this too, but I am so glad I decided to take it.”

Angie March 9, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “Be careful! After years of being misdiagnosed, I was given Singulair. Within 4 weeks, I no longer needed my nebulizer or rescue inhalers. I gradually became more tired, and extremely agitated. I began hearing voices in my own home and I live alone. It got worse, not better. One night, I was convinced someone was in my home. Every light in the house was on. I still kept seeing someone! Coming from a military background, and secure in owning firearms, I was searching my home with a gun. I was looking for an intruder who was NOT there! That was my final straw. I threw my Singulair in the garbage. I’m still agitated and frustrated. I am going to try over the counter medication deemed safe. I’m not sure how long the agitation and tiredness will last. I pray this will help someone. Please be careful on this medicine. For me, it’s not worth it. In 55 years, I’ve never seen anyone, or heard voices in my home, until Singulair. (5 weeks total taking it)”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 28, 2021

For Asthma: “Great for asthma and allergies. BUT do not take this if you’re trying to lose weight. It does something to you and makes it completely impossible to lose any weight no matter what you do. Fasting 20 hours a day...OMAD, 800kcals a day, 1200kcals a day, eating to TDEE recommendations, keto, low carb, literal starvation...tried it all and nothing worked over the period of a couple of years. Only when I researched “singulair weight loss” did I find other people with the same issue. Came off Singulair and the weight flew off. Made me feel like I was losing my mind.”

MadmanMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 2, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “While on this medication my asthma and allergies were almost non-existent. However, I also developed severe depression that almost took my life, anxiety, became easily agitated and had pain in my mouth and back. Since I stopped, I feel happier, more patient, less sore but my allergies have come back. If it weren't for the side effects, I would have kept taking it.”

Jess · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 11, 2021

For Asthma: “I’ve been on singular for 5 years now. Prescribed to treat mild asthma and allergic rhinitis (post nasal drip). Paired with a daily dose of Zyrtec, I don’t find it helps my chronic post nasal drip as much as I expected it to (it does some), but it definitely cleared up the mild wheezing I’d suffer from every night. As for side effects, I don’t believe I have ever suffered from any. I also have mental health issues like general anxiety disorder and OCD (both diagnosed prior to taking this ) and neither felt exacerbated”

Sandra62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I was given this medication Singulair for chronic nasal congestion and Rhinitis. After about 2 months, I started to notice my mood changing. I was more argumentative almost to the point of aggression. When I started to have bizarre dreams I then researched the side effects of this drug. Here is what was listed: mental/mood changes (such as agitation, aggression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, abnormal dreams, sleep-walking, memory/attention problems, depression, hallucinations, thoughts of harming yourself/suicide). I immediately stopped taking this medication (it wasn't helping that much anyway) and these side effects have stopped completely. PLEASE be mindful of ALL the side effects of any medications you are taking! I never would have believed that something to help with nasal congestion could cause such problems.”

Laz · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “My asthma came back strong at about age 46. I tried everything. I couldn't exist without an inhaler nearby. Couldn't sleep at night for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Woke up constantly always coughing. Additionally always had sinus infections. This drug has been a life-changer for me. It is a miracle. I haven't experienced any noticeable negative side effects. The first couple days I had some dizzy spells but they subsided. I can't say enough good things about how this has helped me. I went to a couple pulmonologist several emergency rooms and urgent cares along with my primary no one ever recommended this finally I found a ra or PA I don't know but she prescribed this for me and I am forever grateful.”

LokiiDokii · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

For Asthma: “Went on montelukast for mild asthma. It did seem to help me breathe easier, certainly less wheezing. Experienced very intense, vivid dreams - definitely attribute those to this medication because I guess it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Mood was about the same. The reason I stopped taking this was I noticed a weight change (increase) that began around the same time I started the medication. I stopped gaining weight and began losing the 15lbs I packed on almost immediately after stopping this medication.”

Kim · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

For Asthma: “I have been on Singulair for a couple weeks after years of being on a steroid inhaler for exercise induced asthma. It has been working great but I'm gaining weight like crazy. So unfortunate but I will go back to my inhaler.”

Kira · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 20, 2020

For Asthma: “Hi everyone, I tried this drug a few times at the recommended 10 mg and had panic attacks. My pharmacist recommended that I try the children's dose of 5mg and it's been a game-changer! I've had respiratory issues my whole life- dry cough, occasional bronchitis, wheezing, allergic rhinitis, etc. This clears up about 90% of my issues. If you're having psychiatric side effects from it, but you really need it to function, try halving your dose before you give it up entirely.”

jlw · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “1.5 months on Singulair and so far very happy. I have not had asthma flareup since beginning Singulair. This is a big deal for me after 1 year of regular flareups. I rarely need to use my Ventolin, still on Breo daily. I can breathe through my nose which is very new for me :) The earlier reviews scared me, but so far no issues with anxiety. I did have some weird dreams at first, but that has lessened. I'm very glad for the progress so far.”

Dee Dee78 May 8, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “My doctor prescribed me singulair after my allergy test results came back. Went straight to reviews and seeing so many bad reviews I got worried. I have a history of anxiety and panic attack and people were stating it's only getting worse when you take singular. I even rang my doctor saying I'm really afraid to take them but he politely asked me to give them a go. Not only my allergies settled down and symptoms were really bad I must say. I got back my sense of smell, I could breathe through my nose again, my sleeping patterns improved a lot ( some people experienced nightmares after taking singular, in my case I finally could sleep through the night having nicest dreams ever)Anxiety and panic attacks went away. In my case it did wonders”

Kdh September 26, 2019

For Asthma: “My daughter had her life ruined by this drug! Had I known I wouldn’t of gave it to her! It was good for the asthma at night at first, then she started having nightmares, odd behaviour, aggressive & hyper,the asthma nurse said it was a phase & put the dose up,the next day she was suffering with awful headaches and started to hallucinate..wouldn’t go out in public & ran into oncoming traffic because her brain told her to, had panic attacks, admitted to hospital for the headaches I mentioned the drug they ignored it, took her to doctor who prescribed it to her and he said the drug had crossed the brain barrier causing inflammation and prescribed antibiotics..discontinued it..improvement but my girl will never be the same again..she’s now diagnosed with severe anxiety, ocd & spd..under cahlms, mental health, had school counselling..and still to this day no help with withdrawal didn’t go into any detail no doctor nurse or pharmacy will acknowledge that this drug has done this to my girl”

Megs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

For Asthma: “Yes, the anxiety and depression are absolutely side effects of montelukast. The weight gain and the anger too. I think if you are a younger person at all or a woman who already gets mood swings or related side effects from birth control, stay away from montelukast!”

Dee-L · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 3, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I have been taking this medication for a few years to treat allergies. At first I would get headaches, but they went away after a few months of use. I do not have anxiety issues with the use of this drug. This drug is a life saver for my allergy symptoms and I will continue to use this drug.”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “After I got asthma three months ago I personally thought I was going to be the end of me. My breathing was difficult and was making me depressed. I started singulair 2 months ago. It took about 6 weeks for the medicine to fully work for me but now I feel wonderful. I feel 95 pro cent like before I got ill. No side effects for me. I totally recommend!”

MadMax · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I started Singulair some 15-20 years ago. After 12 months developed dry eyes (in the worst way) seeing problems (cataracts) and angina. After stopping taking the drug, the angina went away and so did the dry eyes. Cataracts were removed. Fast forward to 2018. Nothing was helping the Asthma and agreed to go back on Singulair again, after 6 months the same exact problems came back had to stop. Angina and blurring eye site. I am now on Symbicort now for 3 months and the same thing has started to happen. Both meds work very well, but the side effects are the worst”

AC · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Singulair worked great for my non allergic rhinitis and sinus. I stopped sneezing completely for 2 months on Singulair, I was able to breathe so much better, congestion relief. . Only issue was, I had severe anxiety and occasional panic attacks., even after cutting the pill in half, took every other day. I was truly discouraged, cause the med worked. Tried my best to continue med, but anxiety became overwhelming.”

Char · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I started with singulair a few months ago. Before taking it I would be awakened with wheezing, nasal congestion and just feeling like I could not get enough air. It has been a wonder drug, immediately all the asthma symptoms at night were relieved and stopped the early morning coughing. I occasionally have short term wheezing but nothing like previously and so far no side effects.”

Anony.mouse August 21, 2013

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing.”

Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

For Asthma: “I have noticed a lot of bloating and hot flashes on montelukast. I do feel like it helps with the cough I get from allergies and shortness of breathe. On the other hand, I have been gaining unexplained weight and extremely tired!!!”

Za · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

For Asthma: “I wish I never even heard of this tablet my daughter was prescribed this for her asthma symptoms, first she stated with nightmares was afraid to go to bed , was irritated very easily I was putting it down to being tired, I started to notice she was developing tics clearing her throat and a humming sound, I was at a loss I was racking my brain wondering what was happening her , she never displayed anything like it. I thought I would check up the new tablet she was given to check the side affects, to say I was horrified was an understatement (I wish I looked at it sooner ) there they were all of the above I rang the doctor he took her off straight away. She was on the medication for 7 weeks I just wish I connected the dots sooner she has been off the tablets for only 2 days I am just praying to god there’s no lasting effects. Please if you are thinking of giving this to your child research it .”

BL January 17, 2020

For Asthma: “I’ve had mild asthma since childhood. Despite this, I smoked for 25+ years and quit on Aug 11th, 2010. I’m 53 and I’ve tried nearly every nebulizer treatment, daily maintenance and long-term bronchodilator. Singulair/Montelukast was prescribed to me for no reason other than one day my pulmonologist said, ‘it couldn’t hurt’. Boy was he wrong! By the time I realized it was likely causing a bad side effect, I was popping Ativan like candy. I had an overwhelming sense of dread! Like fear, sadness, anxiety and terror all rolled up into one. I write this review because I want everyone to realize the possibility. I have been off of the drug for nearly a month now and I’m back to normal! In my opinion, if you want something to truly control your asthma just use Symbicort! It works better than anything I’ve tried in my lifetime. ”

Ditsyblonde · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I was on singulair for a couple of years and I have depression with tremors/muscle spasms. Since stopping the meds, the pain in my back next to my lungs has returned but depression is getting better. Tremors are still happening after 2 weeks of not being on this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2017

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!”