User Reviews for Montelukast

Asthma
5.4

Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.9 320 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I was prescribed this to help with asthma control I noticed in a few days that my rhinitis had significantly improved, as well as the constant sensation of mucous at the back of my throat Asthma is generally better controlled I do not think Singulair has helped with my exercise induced bronchospasm as I still take ventolin prior to each cardio session/run."

KC (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2019

For Asthma: "Great medication I use to wake up gasping for air every night. My allergy Doctor gave me this with an inhaler. I take this medication at night. It will make you sleepy. It has been 3 years and no side effects. But, I do wake up very rarely gasping. But, this is only during allergy season when pollen count is extremely high."

OS Girl April 2, 2019

For Asthma: "I have been coughing for 2 months when my doctor said I have asthma and he recommended this meds. He did say it might take awhile to completely take coughing away but in 1 week timed its gone... my meds for 30 days is not consumed... this meds is great!"

Glenda Masanegra April 1, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I only used this drug one time, and I took it to help with allergies. I took a 10 mg tab of montelukast at around 10pm. At 3:30am I woke up and had a panic attack. The whole next day I was trying to fight off panic attacks until around 8:30pm when the drug started to die down. I never took another. The panic attacks have stopped."

Will (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My sinuses were affected so bad during allergy season I could not go half a day without watery, itchy swollen eyes, completely plugged and swollen sinuses thanks to montelukast daily I can actually function and enjoy the indoors and outdoors again"

Redhdstepson (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2019

For Asthma: "tl;dr version. Monetlukast definitely worked as a maintenance medication but had unpleasant side effects after prolonged use. Lifelong asthmatic but for the last 10+ years, my asthma has been under control with Asmanex. Started struggling with allergy-induced asthma late 2018, needing a rescue inhaler multiple times every day. Doctor prescribed montelukast pills in addition to doubling Asmanex and my issues have definitely dissipated since early January. I went to single Asmanex alongside the montelukast and have been breathing fine. Its far more affordable (~$10/month) compared to the doubled Asmanex (~$50/month) but in the last few weeks, I have been incredibly exhausted and achy. Sleep has been difficult and I feel very mentally clouded. I suffer from anxiety normally, but have not had any symptoms with regard to that. If anything, I'm too exhausted to be anxious."

Jeff February 18, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "I started with singulair a few months ago. Before taking it I would be awakened with wheezing, nasal congestion and just feeling like I could not get enough air. It has been a wonder drug, immediately all the asthma symptoms at night were relieved and stopped the early morning coughing. I occasionally have short term wheezing but nothing like previously and so far no side effects."

Char (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2019

For Asthma: "I experienced horrific side effects from this drug. After about 4 days of taking it, I developed anxiety and depression, body aches and extreme feeling of tiredness. I stopped taking it right away, but I had flu-like symptoms for the next 5 days or so, where I could not even get out of bed. I'm now on day 9 off the drug, and am slowly getting back to myself but still feeling quite tired, sleepy and anxious."

Mela123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For Asthma: "I took Montelukast for 9 days before bedtime. I was having frequent common cold, so my doctor prescribed me Montelukast as an alternative to Levocetirizine. My Asthma is not so serious as I only use the Revolizer and not the inhaler. I'd advise everyone to not use this med as it has some serious side effects. After taking the first few tablets, I started feeling anxious and I experienced breathing problems. I visited the doctor and he said that I shouldn't have any breathing problems as my lungs were fine. Then I checked for the side effects of Montelukast and found out it has a lot, so I consulted with my doctor and he removed Montelukast from the prescription. It's been 5 days since I dropped that drug and I still feel anxious and difficulty in breathing at times. Reading others reviews have helped and now I'm just going to wait till this anxiety goes away. I just hope that it goes away, this anxious feeling is getting on my nerves."

Football fan (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

For Asthma: "I started this medication when I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I thought my gas, bloating, fatigue and weakness were from the antibiotics but even after finishing them the bloating etc got worse so I am guessing it is the Singulair. I don’t think I really need it so I will stop taking and hopefully feel better. After reading all of the information on anxiety and depression ( which I have had for 30 years) I am shocked my Dr. put me on this."

Mj (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2018

For Asthma: "I took montelukast for about 8 months and that’s when my nightmare began. I was so anxious and crying all the time with vivid dreams. It really did help my asthma but the side effects make you feel like you are losing your mind. I am 42 yrs old and have always been active, happy, and the first to be up to do anything. It’s has been 4 months since I stopped taking this horrible medicine and I am just beginning to feel back to my old self. I warn everyone please be careful with this medicine. It works to control your asthma but be aware of your mood changes and tell your dr right away."

Mom of 2 November 14, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Simply did not work."

YearRoundAllergies (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

For Asthma: "I went on montelukast three weeks ago. I have had no prior mental difficulties, anxiety or depression. Three weeks later I’m experiencing agitation, anxiety, nightmares (which I haven’t had since I was a child, I’m a 52 year old woman. I’m irritated and my thoughts race. As far as those racing thoughts... I seem to get obsessed on a subject and I can’t stop googling and looking and checking and doing something related to that topic! Every day it’s something new to obsess over. A close friend who is a psychologist looked at the side effects of montelukast and said CALL YOUR DOCTOR. NOW. She also gave me the phone number of a psychiatrist. I called both my pulmonologist who prescribed and the psychologist. Ugh. This stuff works wonderfully, but quite seriously I’d rather just cough and have asthma attacks."

Ddras (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a parent of two children. Both children took Singulair for allergies. Both children had issues while taking Singulair and experiences withdrawal effects once I stopped the medication. My daughter developed TICS, TREMORS, ANGER, RAGE, OCD, ANXIETY, Mood Swings, agitation to name a few side effects. My son developed frequent urination, muscle issues, joint pain and sadness. Both my children developed a hypersensitivity to all artificial sweeteners, dyes and all emulsifiers/preservatives as the inactive ingredients are made up of most of these items. Their hypersensitivity to artificial sweeteners, dyes and emulsifiers/preservatives still continue even though they stopped the medicine."

M&M Mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 10, 2018

For Asthma: "This drug gave me back my life. I have cough variant asthma and flare ups would last for months. I would have violent coughing several times an hour. This takes the "itch" or "tickle" away so I no longer feel like I need to cough. It also helps with the feeling I need to clear my throat. A godsend."

tconlgirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2018

For Asthma: "I have been taking montelukast for three months, I persisted with the vivid nightmares, irritability, anxiety and depression because it was so effective for my asthma. Family, friends and work colleagues noticed my mood change and my inability to be happy. The weight gain was another unwanted side effect. The prolonged and worsening side effects have forced me to stop taking it."

Ksue (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Not sure if it's because I started using this medicine at the end of spring (summer not as severe) but so far this has been THE BEST medicine I've tried. If there's a day where I feel like I need something on top, I take claritin (as recommended by my doctor). I no longer use nasal spray. No more benadryl making me drowsy. As per side effects, I am normally a bit of an anxious person and I have seen no increase. Still as happy as can be, no nightmares no depression. No fatigue, no cold sweats at night, its been great! However my menstrual cycle has been the only thing that has DEFINITELY changed. Went from a 28 day cycle ,to a 35-40 day cycle!! Talk about a lot of confusion when that time came around and nothing happened. I keep close track and am very in tune with my body and yes this has definitely change my cycle. Other than that I am so thankful I can live more of a normal life. I cant wait to see how it holds up when it comes to sinus infection season."

A Anglea Solo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

For Asthma: "I have always struggles with asthma, especially with exercise and colds. This helped me a lot day to day but also with my asthma. Most of all, it prevents my colds from damaging my lungs from coughing."

Kells (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 12, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was having bad allergies my nose was really swollen. Doc prescribed this for me and within a few days it was gone. Helps with my summer allergies but I still need my other medications. Also, I had a few times when I felt I could not breathe, which is rare So I took this medicine, and felt better and just a few minutes."

Who nut (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I was having bad shortness of breath that distressed me. My doctor put me on singular and it saved me! On day one I noticed a big difference within an hour. They say take at night but I take it in the morning. Works like a charm with no side effects. I was advised to take the generic as it was cheaper with my plan"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have asthma caused by a year round allergy from mould and it could be very bad. I have uncontrolled allergy and later progress to mild asthma for a very long time. I have suffered 3 sinus surgeries and countless sinus infection. Montelukast is no short of miracle. It is able to quickly control my symptoms when using with Dyjmista and advair inhaler. However, I starting to have symptoms of muscle pain and joint pain all over and feel tired. I took me a long time to figured out what was the cause. I finally able to get off montelukast while maintain control of my allergy with dymista and advair. Most of body and joint pain dissipated after a few days of discontinuation of montelukast. Furthermore my fatigue have been improving since montelukast discontinuation. This drug is very effective for me in the short term but the long term side effect is just not acceptable."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I’m taking this medication along with 40mg Ompramazole twice daily with 300mg Rantidine at bedtime. Diagnosed with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) and environmental allergies causing me to cough day & night, gagging and involuntarily expelling clear mucus. After 5 weeks no change. I’m now on Day 3 of Singulair which I take about 6pm. It seems to lessen my coughing episodes & they are less exaggerated but when using the bathroom at night I am dizzy and find myself holding on to walls and doorways to walk. When I wake up in the morning the dizziness is gone. I wonder if this will go away,"

chicagopd (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

For Asthma: "I took Montelukast for my asthma and allergies and it definitely works to control both of these, but the side effects are bad. As directed by my doctor, I would go on and off of it during the bad times of the year--this caused severe exhaustion for several weeks. The worst side effect, which is not something they mention, is the weight gain and inability to lose weight. I really didn't notice it at first, as I started exercising regularly again at around the same time. Fast forward a year and a half, I am tracking everything I eat and the exercise I am doing--consistently 1000 calories/day deficit. My weight does not budge for four months. I start researching and something I read mentions medication. Since Montelukast is the only thing I'm on, I look up "Montelukast and weight loss" and find stories from people who had similar issues. I stopped taking it and within a month 10 pounds fell off of me, while eating normally. Montelukast definitely works, but beware the side effects."

alwaysAllergic August 24, 2018

For Bronchospasm Prophylaxis: "Montelukast is pretty effective at blocking your histamine reaction to pollen and other allergens. I must say, it works. However, if you read the information that comes with Montelukast from your pharmacist, you will see many different side effects. One of these side effects is DEPRESSION. I ignored this for some weeks, but after viewing a sad incident (not related to me), I became depressed. Ordinarily, seeing that incident would have disturbed me, but I would get over it and bounce back. But my sadness has lingered on, and I blame the Montelukast. Be aware of any sadness or depression with this drug. Also, for allergies, I recommend a natural product which contains Quercetin among other herbs. This stuff is amazing. At first take 2 caps twice a day and you can go to 1 cap twice a day. Even asthmatics have praised this product on Amazon. Sudafed and 1 Claritin a day can be taken with the Breathe. Best wishes to you all"

Ann Wilson (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was prescribed this for severe chest and nasal congestion, and cough. I can't take antihistamines so was prescribed this. After the first night started getting headaches, sinus pain, dizziness, and fatigue. By the end of the fourth day, all had worsened to the point where I almost dozed off while driving, and experienced severe pain and swelling above my gum line where your sinus cavity is located. Read the documentation from the pharmacy and discovered these are all side effects. Stopped using it and the pain and swelling is my mouth is almost gone. Did little or nothing to relieve the cough or congestion, in fact it seemed to aggravate it. The effects will vary according to the individual , but make sure to read about and stay alert for any side effects."

Lirrguy (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018