User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

Asthma 89 reviews 143 medications

5.8
Summary of Montelukast reviews 240 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Montelukast

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Asthma Doctor prescribed montelukast three years ago. My cough was so bad I couldn't get my breath. My husband finally went to another bedroom in our house due to lack of sleep because of my coughing. Three months later I forgot to take my nighttime med (montelukast). My usual morning coughing and hocking didn't happen. Hubby noticed right away and asked what I did different. I said I forgot to take my montelukast at night. So I didn't take it the next five nights and no cough or hocking. It seems the post nasal drip stopped. I have been cough free for four weeks. A whole new life!"

Sherie00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I was taking Montelukast for a few months, at first it worked a treat but then I noticed my asthma symptoms got worse than ever (I constantly needed my blue inhaler) and my allergy symptoms were terrible (extremely stuffy nose all the time)! I stopped taking Montelukast on my own accord and everything has cleared up and my asthma symptoms have disappeared. My Asthma nurse strongly recommends I continue to take Montelukast but I feel I'm better off without it."

Sophie N July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have tried it several times in the past but have the same results. It does not control the steady flow of post nasal drip causing me to feel nauseated. I have better results taking 4 hour generic Benadryl."

Moma 1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been on this medicine since early Spring, so probably about 4 months straight now, for my severe allergies and it has helped with them. However, I have noticed some major mood swings and depression. I started getting dark thoughts (regarding only myself), and I will sit in a ball and cry for hours and worry about the dumbest things. It's been giving me anxiety attacks which I have never had before. It is HORRIBLE. I am glad that I am not going crazy. I see that unfortunately other people are reacting the same way. Last night was my last time taking the med. I hope it gets out of my body FAST!!!! Don't take this medicine!!"

ParamedicGirl911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My 2-1/2 year old daughter was prescribed this toxic drug. After the seventeenth day we stopped giving it to her because it caused Autism-like symptoms, huge decrease in talking, and an increase in agitation, aggressiveness, isolation, repetitive movements and tics, swollen tongue, numbness in one foot, lack of appetite, clumsiness, self-harming behavior, and what appears to be hallucinations. Today is her third day off it and all the side-effects have worsened. She turns to a page in one of her books (God Made Me Special) where it mentions that "Sometimes I feel down, sometimes I feel blue, don't like something about me, it's sad but it's true..." and she says "down". This drug should be banned everywhere."

EBAguilar (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took this medicine years ago for full body hives brought on from a virus. I had never experienced anything like this. Nothing would take away the hives for weeks and an allergist recommended this along with Xyzal and Ranitidine BID and my rash cleared. Three days ago I received the Varicella vaccine and I blew up into unbearably itchy full body hives. I went to the ER and was given methylprednisolone and within three hours the hives were back. I asked the Dr to prescribe me the same medicines my allergist recommended years ago. I took my first dose of this medicine and within an hour it was 75% gone. It is a miracle drug for allergies/hives. I suffer from GAD with panic attacks and have experienced no anxiety, it actually calmed me down."

MMarti2 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "Perscibed this to help with asthma flaring up at night, but now I use it to control my exercise-induced asthma. Take this 2 hours before exercise, it's like magic. Now I walk, jog, even run 2+ miles a day, and for someone who couldn't even walk for an extended time without their asthma flaring, that's a big deal. When I took this near bedtime, and only near bedtime, I experienced weird/vivd dreams. I actually enjoyed it, but the experience may be much more scary for others, beware taking near bedtime if you're concerned. Also, I've been feeling depressed and irritated often. I've had dark thoughts, I'm not sure it's from Montelukast or from outside factors. I've had these feelings before taking it, it's just more often now."

C-Rabbit June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "My little son took that POISON for less than 2 weeks two years ago. He is still suffering with bad side effects like tics, anxiety, anger, sensitivity to light, symptoms of autism sometimes, feeling tired, changes of mood and behavior problems. :( It is devastating. I am sorry for all the kids who took it or are taking that drug and I am also sorry for their families."

Little Pink (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I'm not noticing anything different since taking Singulair a month ago. I still have to use my inhaler 6-8 times a day. (the good part is, I'm not noticing any side effects, either--it's as if I'm taking a placebo)"

Sheik Yerbuti (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I had my first asthma attack when I was 30 (13 years ago) and each year it got worse to the point where I would have 6 attacks a day and my puffers would not work. I took this drug and my attacks do not exist anymore. I am an avid athlete and I am no longer hindered. Back in February I struggled to get my breathe and I was on my way to the Emergency, that is when I got this pill prescribed to me and it has been a God send! I don't have the sleep issues others have mentioned here, I never really slept the best to start with, but no changes. No crazy dreams. I never been more pleased."

Kurt Homey June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: "It worked very well for asthma symptoms. Greatly reduced lung inflammation. It takes quite a few weeks to reach max effectiveness. But gave me joint aches, muscle aches and all over malaise. This is listed as an uncommon side effect so it may not affect most."

Lou ann1 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Hello , I'm an 19 y/o and I've been on this medication for almost 2 months now. Since I've taken it I have extreme nightmares and weird sleeping patterns, all this time I've thought that it was helping me but in reality it has broken my life into piece. I'm can't sleep on a normal pattern and having lack off sleep which has caused me to become irritable and not have a clear train of thought. If yourself or anyone you know is taking this medication PLEASE monitor their behavior and sleep pattern."

I can't find a nickname June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance: "Spent the almost the full month on montelukast. Thought it was working ok, felt some sleepiness but was told that was normal. By the middle of the month I had experienced almost daily panics attacks and mood swings. By the end of the month depression arrived which got even darker. Felt like myself again about 3 days after stopping the dose. Anyone prescribed this should be aware of this possibility before they start, not by finding help online like I did. It can be helpful, but in my case was completely not worth it"

Os5999 (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I was on the brand Singular 10mg for a month. It was helping and everything was fine with no side effects. I ordered a refill and I got the generic. I took it for 4 days. Since day 1 I was feeling bit weak, I thought it might just be a bad day. Then on day 2 it started increasing. I took the pill for 4 days and then stopped it. I had really bad anxiety and am not able to concentrate. Have a lot of bilateral head pressure and brain fog. My doctor while prescribing this medicine did not tell me any of this side effects. I have decided to do a research on a drug before taking it. This is a clear case where doctor is not aware about the side effects. 2 days off, still have anxiety and brain fog."

Montelukast June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I can't understand how I have woken every night for the last 4 nights At around 3-4am and cannot get back to sleep again!!! it has been driving me mad !!! Then when I put 2 & 2 together I realised I started montelukast 4 nights ago! Also have very swollen ankles and huge appetite! Not taking the medication tonight as not worth it unfortunately"

Noo noo (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I have asthma and especially exercise-induced asthma, making it hard to run or do other high intensity sports. This works like a CHARM to shut off my asthma, and exercise-induced asthma, and also resolves allergies. However, it does seem to give me crazy dreams, makes me sleep in more than I normally would, and seems to increase my preexisting anxiety (but since I know this anxiety might be due to the medication, I am fairly capable of reminding myself that it's not real, and moving on). I only take it when I really need it, because of these side effects. As an adult I feel I can manage the side effects, but I'm not sure if it would work for kids. This drug has been absolutely life-changing and essential for me in controlling my asthma!"

sunshine girl001 May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance: "I was put on this drug for Asthma control (coughing up clear jelly type mucus from all my inhaler use) and allergies as I kept getting chest infections and sinusitis as well as bad asthma symptoms which I've had all my life. My inhalers were no longer working sufficiently so a doctor at the hospital prescribed me this drug. I can say that I felt a difference very quickly and have never been able to breath so well. It has made such a difference to my daily life. I have only taken my blue inhalers once since on it and I don't feel so out of breath in the cold and when doing exercise anymore. It has definitely helped with my allergies too. Life changer for me! I haven't been on it long enough to advise any side effects but so far so good."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have severe Allergies to tree pollen. I took my first dose of this and within an hour and a half I had severe shaking, chills and tingling tongue. Extreme headache. Sitting here wondering whether I should head to the ER."

Minicoopgirl May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I actually have a non-allergic rhinitis and rather than my nose getting blocked it's usually my inner ears/vestibular system and just a feeling of having a fish tank over my head. I've been to plenty of ENT's over the 8 years and none of the medications they'd prescribe would work, most if the time antihistamines would actually block my head and dry out my mouth even further. This has worked the best so far, the only not so awesome thing about it is it feels like my allergy moved down to my throat and even though I'm not dizzy for the first time in years each time I breathe in through my nose it hurts a little. Still, better than anything else I tried!"

Saintasia (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "This drug is saving my Spring. For 10 years now, since moving to the US and developing pollen allergy (Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis), I can barely function in the months of April and May due to itchy painful eyes 24/7. By recommendation of a friend, I asked my allergist to try it. I am not kidding when I say that it worked in a few hours and I finally could function like a human being again. I see a lot of bad reviews here, but this drug literally was the one to save me from the despair I've been every Spring. To complete the "service" I also use a few eyedrops for relief: a corticosteroid, ketorolac 0.5 % (which is like an Advil for the eyes) OTC Zaditor for allergy, and Neomycin ointment around the eyes."

ChutzpahReviewer (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: "My doctor prescribed me singulair after my allergy test results came back. Went straight to reviews and seeing so many bad reviews I got worried. I have a history of anxiety and panic attack and people were stating it's only getting worse when you take singular. I even rang my doctor saying I'm really afraid to take them but he politely asked me to give them a go. Not only my allergies settled down and symptoms were really bad I must say. I got back my sense of smell, I could breathe through my nose again, my sleeping patterns improved a lot ( some people experienced nightmares after taking singular, in my case I finally could sleep through the night having nicest dreams ever)Anxiety and panic attacks went away. In my case it did wonders"

Dee Dee78 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I've been taking montelukast for about a month for asthma and it hasn't changed a thing!"

Steveso May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: "Now 67 years, my health plan only permits generic montelukast medication (generic singulair). I had a very bad experience with this medication. Suffered insomnia, anxiety, and being with insomnia all night went into a deep sleep. When my daughter arrived had a memory lapse and being questioned by my daughter was giving incoherent replies. After being questioned for a while I regained conciousness of my daily routine. I imagine I had a blackout experience. Now I'm trying to get original singulair since I did use it before when I was younger and had none of this experience. I did quit taking this generic form montelukast medication since the next day after quitting I slept very well. Will try to purchase singulair in it's original form."

Marsol May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma: "I have had asthma for 40 plus years, which became progressively worse until I was having an asthma attack every day and using at least one salbutamol inhaler every week. My preventative meds were 1000mg beclamethasone and 100mg of salmeterol per day. I had broken sleep every night, waking to use my inhaler. My Doctor prescribed Montelukast and from the first night my asthma was almost entirely gone. Ten years on I very rarely use my reliever, at most three to four times a year!!! It has been a miracle drug to me, the only down side is that I believe my temper is probably worse. Not terrible but a much shorter fuse and more explosive."

DDWDG May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Had severe allergies causing laryngitis. Lost my voice for 13 days. Went to urgent care and was told to take Zyrtec and Flonase. The day after visiting urgent care I was experiencing severe eye pain and could not open my right eye. I then went to emergency department. ER doctor told me it was severe case of allergies and prescribed ketorolac for my eyes. Three days later seen my PCP and she prescribed singulair and told me to take it in evening. Within two hours my voice came back. I am so impressed with this medication. No side effects noticed."

Ptrk333 May 2, 2017