User Reviews for Montelukast (Page 3)

Also known as: Singulair

Allergic Rhinitis 5.1
Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.4 419 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Jenny · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2019

“I was prescribed montelukast because I had chronic hives for 3 months (allergic reaction to medication). The hives were unbearable like I was being burned alive and I was given a steroid shot (kenalog) and montelukast. I have been hive-free for over a month now.”

Gmem · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 19, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “DO NOT GIVE THIS MEDICATION MONTELUKAST TO CHILDREN!!!!!! I never write reviews. I am writing this one because NO child should have to endure what my child went through on this medication. Dark thoughts, rage, tantrums, depression, unable to sleep, night terrors. Years of going from specialist to specialist trying to figure the cause and treatment. Finally found a doctor that said to stop the singular. My child is grown now. This drug stole his childhood. I know they say that you should take these reviews with a grain of salt because there are a million people out there benefitting from this drug not writing reviews. Not ONE person should have their brain function impacted this severely from a medication. And children can’t always verbalize how they are feeling. Please think twice before giving this drug to your children. There are support groups on social media regarding these horrific side effects. Thousands of parents recounting similar side effects and worse. Some child/ teen suicides.”

xalatoh December 14, 2019

For Asthma: “I've had severe asthma for about 6 years now, and unfortunately, Singulair did not work for me. I have aspergers and several anxiety disorders, and singulair rapidly exacerbated my issues. Day one was fine, but by days two and three I had weakness in my arms, was unable to focus, and became even more irritated by my triggers than I usually do. When I could sleep, I had unsettling dreams, woke up with a rapid pulse, and, lo and behold, asthmatic chest tightness. I refuse to wait it out to see if it gets better because I cannot let myself spiral back down into depression suicidal thoughts, especially when there are other treatments for asthma available. The doctor who prescribed this didn't mention any side effects, so I did all the research on my own as I normally do. I can't imagine all the people who go through this seemingly unwarranted because doctors wont inform them of side effects. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying singulair; just be cautious.”

Midge December 14, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I've had sinus surgery to clear the stuffiness (worked wonders) but of course I will still have allergies - year round. If it's not sinus pressure, it's headache, runny nose, mucus drainage, water eyes. I take Zyrtec, Flonase spray, Ipratropium spray and Azelastine spray in the pm. There is nothing more that can be done but move to another state. Wouldn't be able to function without meds but I still suffer symptoms now and again. Last 2 weeks were bad. Had my primary Dr. appt. last week and told of my extra suffering last 2 weeks (with my meds). He decided to add Singular at night saying there are no interactions with what I currently take. Called my ENT (who did my sinus surgery) and he said no interactions so try it. BOY WHAT A MISTAKE! took I pill last night and I could hear/feel my heartbeat loudly which was slightly elevated. Could NOT sleep well at all. This stuff is going in the garbage! BEWARE? have someone near you to keep an eye out for any reactions!”

the allergy guy December 13, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have taken just about every allergy medication on the market, both prescription and non prescription, and I can say montelukast is the best allergy medication. Most of the other medications resulted in only mild improvement, and some did not work at all. It took about 2-3 weeks before I noticed much of difference. Others have also noticed my improvement. I have not known any one who has allergies as bad as me, but the people who do suffer from allergies are now worse than I am.”

Human Guinea Pig · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

For Asthma: “I took this medication for two days. The side effects were overwhelming. I got a fever and the flu symptoms within the sort time I was on the Singulair. I was also extremely tired so much so I was unable to work.”

Thomas · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

For Asthma: “This drug has made my nose so dry and feel so weird every time I take it. You ever have that awful feeling where you feel like your nose is full of hard boogers, but yet there’s nothing in there? Drives me insane! Additionally, I have had thin bloody and scabby boogers, and my nose just feels like it needs to be filled with chapstick. Not a fan, but it definitely helps with asthma. I was prescribed montelukast with prednisone so hard to tell if the tired fatigue symptoms were from pred. or mont. Haven’t had the depression symptoms I’m reading here though. None whatsoever. I can’t imagine staying on this drug for more than 2 weeks.”

dednaustetio November 24, 2019

“My doctor prescribed Montelukast 10mg to try getting rid of some itchy skin spots that just wouldn't go away. It actually worked for that. But, I'm stopping taking it after nine days because of constipation. With no change of diet or activity, my bowel movements have gone from a nice, regular, daily thing to a once-every-three-day pain. Literally. There's no change to what comes out. It's just that nothing moves for about three days. Then, pain until I can move a bit out.”

Indy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 24, 2019

For Asthma: “I have been on Singular for six years. I have asthma and allergies that get worse every year. I had episodes where my throat would start closing and I could not breathe. They are nearly gone since I started singular at night. I did gain weight, and I do have night terrors, but I have not experienced any other symptoms.”

Megs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

For Asthma: “Yes, the anxiety and depression are absolutely side effects of montelukast. The weight gain and the anger too. I think if you are a younger person at all or a woman who already gets mood swings or related side effects from birth control, stay away from montelukast!”

Cash · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

For Asthma: “I been taking the medicine about 6 month ago because I had seasonal allergies but side effect including weight gain so I stop taking montelukast today for good. I didn’t have bad side effects, sore throat and makes your skin itchy like you have a rash after medication hopefully I can start losing weight since I’m taking Montelukast anymore!!!”

Asthmatic November 12, 2019

For Asthma: “This genuinely changed my life. 32 and have chronic asthma/allergies/eczema, since birth. I could barely move most days, it was disabling. I was on the top dose of steroids and they weren’t controlling it. I’d be in hospital with attacks and just generally living a horrid life not being able to breath. I can’t tell you how Amazing it is to be able to exercise, go on walks, keep up with people, not wake up numerous times every night needing inhalers and forever worrying, trying to stave off going the doctors/hospital. I just wish I’d been put on them sooner and I might not have wasted my 20s! Still use inhalers but much less, my asthma is still there, but is ‘controlled’ along with proactive behaviour (dust/chemical avoidance etc) something I never thought I’d be able to to do. Also on fexofenidine once a day for anyone needing help to figure out what might help them. No side effects for me - lost weight but that’s because I can now move.”

Asthmatic Soldier · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2019

For Asthma: “I started taking this medicine montelukast May 2019 on Labor Day weekend for asthma. To make long story short it is now October, and I officially got diagnosed with severe allergy induced asthma. I used advair pump daily and take this Montelukast along with strong allergy meds and then more allergy meds. I haven’t been to ER ever since I was in this montelukast. My concern is serious gain weight. I am a soldier and I’m pretty active I weight lift and CrossFit...besides not being able to run when I was having asthma attacks I still do serious weight lifting. I’ve never weighed in past 150lb in my entire adulthood. Now I've lost my abs and now have a 31 inch waistline from 28inch. I was also getting daily muscle spasm in my hands and feet and they are painful (I thought I was dehydrated) Today I quit taking this montelukast...I love that it helped my sudden asthma but I quit smoking”

H · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Prescribed this drug after my sinus balloon dilation procedure. I’m 43. Active and fit with a Cat allergy. First few weeks, the drug worked wonders to clear out any post nasal issues. Loved it. Felt better breathing. By week 6 +, noticeable side effects in my mood. Tired, crying, depressed, even suicidal with stress in a short amount of time. Not like myself. I don’t suffer from asthma, so not worth the side effects if my case”

Ditsyblonde · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I was on singulair for a couple of years and I have depression with tremors/muscle spasms. Since stopping the meds, the pain in my back next to my lungs has returned but depression is getting better. Tremors are still happening after 2 weeks of not being on this.”

Mb83 · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Been taking singulair for about 10 days for chronic sinusitis. The first day I felt better within an hour of taking 10mg. Have continued taking it every day since with no noticeable improvement. Tried pairing it with zyrtec, then claritin. No change. Going to pair with xyzal next but I have low expectations.”

LE October 10, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Warning please do not let your children take this medicine Montelukast if they develop mental health side effects - Anxiety , depression etc. It may not affect them the same but it has caused my daughter no end of problems including suicidal thoughts and much more. Montelukast has been effective in the polyps reduction but I warn anyone not to put your child through what mine has gone through. Warnings are now being sent out to various medical practices about the side effects that were never mentioned at the time.”

Ab · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I would give this med a zero if allowed. It made me have night terrors, depression, and thoughts of harming myself. I do not recommend it and believe it needs a black box warning.”

Alfred October 7, 2019

For Asthma: “Day 4 of taking this and I decided to venture online to see if I’m crazy for feeling the way I feel. I feel as if I can breathe- but it feels difficult to. I have more anxiety - and fast heart rate. Before the medicine I would wake up with a lot of phlegm in my throat- I do wake up without any on this medicine. Yesterday I had bad thoughts about isolating myself from my family. Don’t think I will Continue this medicine. At the end of the day it’s chemicals we are putting into our bodies and nothing natural. Sometimes it would do more bad than good.”

AC · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Singulair worked great for my non allergic rhinitis and sinus. I stopped sneezing completely for 2 months on Singulair, I was able to breathe so much better, congestion relief. . Only issue was, I had severe anxiety and occasional panic attacks., even after cutting the pill in half, took every other day. I was truly discouraged, cause the med worked. Tried my best to continue med, but anxiety became overwhelming.”

Kdh September 26, 2019

For Asthma: “My daughter had her life ruined by this drug! Had I known I wouldn’t of gave it to her! It was good for the asthma at night at first, then she started having nightmares, odd behaviour, aggressive & hyper,the asthma nurse said it was a phase & put the dose up,the next day she was suffering with awful headaches and started to hallucinate..wouldn’t go out in public & ran into oncoming traffic because her brain told her to, had panic attacks, admitted to hospital for the headaches I mentioned the drug they ignored it, took her to doctor who prescribed it to her and he said the drug had crossed the brain barrier causing inflammation and prescribed antibiotics..discontinued it..improvement but my girl will never be the same again..she’s now diagnosed with severe anxiety, ocd & spd..under cahlms, mental health, had school counselling..and still to this day no help with withdrawal didn’t go into any detail no doctor nurse or pharmacy will acknowledge that this drug has done this to my girl”

Bo · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I was prescribed this Rx for chronic sinusitis one year ago by my PC physician. Due to the powerful effect of this drug on me I could only take 1/4 of a 10mg tablet each day. The drug worked well for a few months, but suddenly the results tapered off. Coincidentally, at this time I started experiencing moderate depression, dark thoughts, paranoias, nightmares, and lack of energy and motivation. My husband has clinical depression and anxiety and I became concerned when I started experiencing similar traits. I have never been depressed, but now I have developed it from taking just 2.5mg per day. Better product guidance on packaging for patients and physicians may be helpful.”

brandeneatsfood · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 11, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Nothing had helped my allergies at all until I started taking Singulair. With Singulair, it's like my allergies don't even exist. This medication is a miracle pill.”

Charlie G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 7, 2019

“My 11yo daughter has CF (with small airway disease), along with mast cell issues that are autoimmune in nature. She was constantly coughing up rubbish without any positive microbiology to blame, so was started on montelukast to see if it could improve the appearance/volume of sputum, and it definitely works in that regard. Her sputum is a much better appearance and there’s less of it within a day or 2 of starting treatment. We recently halted it only to restart it yesterday and find exactly the same thing - less gunk, and what remains is far less manky and ‘worrying’ from a CF perspective than what she was clearing as we come to the end of a month in hospital. She’s been on it since October 2018 and there have been no side effects to date regardless of whether she takes it morning or night.”

GL · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I was prescribed this medicine to help with my reaction to my allergy shots. And it does help with that but with a major side effect. I am an anxious mess the entire day. I have been walking around trying to avoid taking a Xanax but after running, lifting weights, deep breathing, meditating, and laying down, I finally had to take it. I think next time I'll just deal with the reaction on my arms.”