User Reviews for Montelukast (Page 2)

Also known as: Singulair

Allergic Rhinitis 5.1
Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.4 419 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Corky · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I have been taking Singular now for 3 weeks. The only problem I find is, I take high blood pressure medication and my blood pressure has been normal for ages but, Singular has made it high. I've been watching my BP morning, noon, and night. In a month or so if it doesn't go down I will stop taking it or talk to my doctor. But, all in all, sure does work great. I can breath ALL the time. And I wake up without a very bad stuffy nose.”

Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Went to the doctor because this time every year,I have problems with pollen and asthma exacerbation. He gave my generic Singulair 20 mg once a day. The first dose I felt like I could breath better. Then the next day took the second dose. That night I woke up with a panic attack, my heart rate was over 130. This medicine is a dangerous medicine. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Please reconsider before taking this medicine.”

Ehlers · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2020

“Taking montelukast 10mg. dose for MCAS (Mast Cell Activation Syndrome). Have had great results, especially with my stomach issues. Has also helped with sinus issues, chronic urticaria, and shortness of breath from COPD. I must admit, I was a little nervous about taking it at first because of the known side effects, but I haven’t really had any. The only (minor) thing I had was some irritability when I first started taking it, but it didn’t last for long.”

d · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “After two weeks of using montelukast, I started having really bad nightmares, waking up early, feeling anxious. During the day, I would feel really tired, with pain in my ankles. Some days later, my memory got worse, I started forgetting words, was really slow, it just felt as if my mind was blank and I didn't know how to do basic stuff. I had very strange thoughts, felt really dark and in a bad place. Started feeling really depressed because of this, I was afraid that I'll loose control of myself, became a totally different person. It was then I read this page and started crying, when seeing that there were so many that had same issues. Stopped taking montelukast immediately, now it's been 72h off Montelukast and I'm feeling almost back to normal. The first day after the medicine was rough, but slowly it got better. Please take this and other users' experiences into account before starting the drug, it should be forbidden to take it.”

Ali · Taken for 10 years or more March 21, 2020

For Asthma: “I’ve been using montekulast for more than 10 years it has given me new life”

BEM March 15, 2020

For Bronchospasm Prophylaxis: “I was prescribed Montelukast by my PCP to prevent bronchospasms as well as asthma that I’ve now developed in my 50’s. I didn’t have any side effects. I was surprised with the reviews so It effects people differently. It has helped me tremendously I notice the difference. I don’t take it in the morning though I take it at night.”

Kelly · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “This medication montelukast stole 4 years of my sons life. My son was on this medication from the age of 3-7 years old. He came off 10 months ago when we finally made the connection with the troubles he was having. He suffered the most horrendous nightmares and hallucinations. He spoke about death all the time. Severe anxiety Night sweats Always paranoid Hyperactivity He hated his own face When he first came off the drug he also developed facial tics from withdrawal and bouts of up and down behaviours. This lasted for around 4-5 months. We finally feel like we have our happy little boy back. If I could get those four years back for him I would in a heart beat. PLEASE DON’T TAKE THIS DRUG The benefits to not outweigh the risk”

Mommy2009 March 10, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Monteleukast has been life changing for me. Within 3 days of starting the drug I slept through the night without being woken by a tight chest. It has really improved my asthma control. I was told by the asthma nurse that it works for 50% of people and does nothing for the other 50%, I would know within a week. I have felt more anxious but this has been helped by 50mg sertraline. I am better than I have been in years.”

Concerned mama · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “My 13 yr old son began taking a month ago and it cleared up his sinus issues pretty quickly . But there has become a downside . Almost overnight he has become a different person . Moody, agitated, angry, even sad at times and withdrawn on a daily basis and was NEVER like this prior . The pill bottle came with warnings with symptoms similar to watch for so when I realized this was not going away and was getting worse I took my son off . Unfortunately about a week off now it’s almost like he is in withdraw and even worse than before . I am hoping it gets better with time as he adjusts , it’s very scary. I would recommend no one take this without another person knowing so they can watch for behavior changes !”

Angie March 9, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “Be careful! After years of being misdiagnosed, I was given Singulair. Within 4 weeks, I no longer needed my nebulizer or rescue inhalers. I gradually became more tired, and extremely agitated. I began hearing voices in my own home and I live alone. It got worse, not better. One night, I was convinced someone was in my home. Every light in the house was on. I still kept seeing someone! Coming from a military background, and secure in owning firearms, I was searching my home with a gun. I was looking for an intruder who was NOT there! That was my final straw. I threw my Singulair in the garbage. I’m still agitated and frustrated. I am going to try over the counter medication deemed safe. I’m not sure how long the agitation and tiredness will last. I pray this will help someone. Please be careful on this medicine. For me, it’s not worth it. In 55 years, I’ve never seen anyone, or heard voices in my home, until Singulair. (5 weeks total taking it)”

ans · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Do NOT for the love of god take this medicine. It finally has a blackbox warning but when I took it (a little over a year ago) it did not. Montelukast/Singulair made my mental health horrible. It caused me to become suicidal even though my life was ideal at the time. Please, even if you have never dealt with mental health issues, never take this medicine. It is not worth it.”

Archenvyinc · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

For Asthma: “I just started taking this medication 4 days ago and I’m just now reading all of this. I don’t know how long you have to take it before these symptoms start, but so far I’ve experienced none of the negative side effects and I have not had to use my rescue inhaler at all.”

Cat Lady March 1, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “On montelukast for breathing and now my cough is well controlled now and my lungs feel light and clear. I sleep deeper, longer and more soundly than I have in years. Shortly after waking up I can usually remember parts of some silly dream and I welcome that because it means I was able to reach a deeper level of sleep.”

R · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

For Asthma: “When I first started taking this medication I felt my heart beat faster than normal, felt anxious, and battled constipation. These are all symptoms of low magnesium. I started taking magnesium, and all is well! I believe for some this medication may deplete magnesium levels, but with a daily dose of magnesium the symptoms can be resolved.”

Laz · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “My asthma came back strong at about age 46. I tried everything. I couldn't exist without an inhaler nearby. Couldn't sleep at night for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Woke up constantly always coughing. Additionally always had sinus infections. This drug has been a life-changer for me. It is a miracle. I haven't experienced any noticeable negative side effects. The first couple days I had some dizzy spells but they subsided. I can't say enough good things about how this has helped me. I went to a couple pulmonologist several emergency rooms and urgent cares along with my primary no one ever recommended this finally I found a ra or PA I don't know but she prescribed this for me and I am forever grateful.”

Flo · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I’m really struggling with this. My child has been having terrible episodes since she was a baby. I found Montelukaskt absolutely amazing for her, it has literally kept her out of hospital but I thought I was imagining the terrible side effects until I read this thread. She becomes very angry quickly, having random outbursts. Has night terrors and hyperactivity. Cries uncontrollably about seemingly nothing. Can’t cope with the smallest of things. Is always thirsty and the list goes on and on. How can 4mg that helps so amazingly with her breathing do such awful things to her? I read the leaflet again and again and all the symptoms she was getting were in the “uncommon” section so I naturally thought I had got it wrong. Especially as she has special needs but even more reason why I want her off it as she can’t get a good enough assessment with all these side effects and it can’t be good for her little brain. I’ve tried giving only when needed but that isn’t recommended.”

Elaine · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

For Asthma: “First time I took it became very jittery and anxious....short of breath at night.....woke up anxious and with panic attacks.....”

LokiiDokii · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

For Asthma: “Went on montelukast for mild asthma. It did seem to help me breathe easier, certainly less wheezing. Experienced very intense, vivid dreams - definitely attribute those to this medication because I guess it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Mood was about the same. The reason I stopped taking this was I noticed a weight change (increase) that began around the same time I started the medication. I stopped gaining weight and began losing the 15lbs I packed on almost immediately after stopping this medication.”

Ginger_momma454 · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

For Bronchospasm Prophylaxis: “My 6-year-old was given this to help with cough and cold like symptoms. I advise all parents to read reviews before giving this to your baby!! I know all children react to things differently but this medicine is bad news! My baby's mental state flipped completely. She has cried nearly nonstop for 2 days. She can't sleep, can't eat, and can't focus properly. She cried for 2 hours this morning, and every time I would hold her and ask what was wrong, she would just say "momma I don't feel okay." Her eyes are so weak she cannot keep them open. I looked up reviews and side effects to both the meds her doctor put her on when I stumbled on all the bad reviews on this. She has been on this montelukast for less than a week but I was advised to take her off of it already. PLEASE CHECK ALL SIDE EFFECTS AND REVIEWS BEFORE GIVING THESE TYPES OF MEDS TO YOUR CHILD!”

Liz Purcell-no need for nicks · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “Currently on Singulair with no issues.”

Kungfumom98 · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Please please please do not take this drug montelukast. If you are on it right now, please quit. Given to my 14 year old son for seasonal exercise induced asthma 2.5 weeks ago. After about a week of taking it, he would be very anxious during the day, overthink each and every thing, wake up with night sweats and generally be bogged down unreasonably. Made those two weeks on it a living nightmare. He had issues at school and listening to me. Stopped it 2 days ago and already seeing improvement of his sweating and mood.”

BL January 17, 2020

For Asthma: “I’ve had mild asthma since childhood. Despite this, I smoked for 25+ years and quit on Aug 11th, 2010. I’m 53 and I’ve tried nearly every nebulizer treatment, daily maintenance and long-term bronchodilator. Singulair/Montelukast was prescribed to me for no reason other than one day my pulmonologist said, ‘it couldn’t hurt’. Boy was he wrong! By the time I realized it was likely causing a bad side effect, I was popping Ativan like candy. I had an overwhelming sense of dread! Like fear, sadness, anxiety and terror all rolled up into one. I write this review because I want everyone to realize the possibility. I have been off of the drug for nearly a month now and I’m back to normal! In my opinion, if you want something to truly control your asthma just use Symbicort! It works better than anything I’ve tried in my lifetime. ”

Careylis · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “My 3 yr old son was given this to trial after having had pneumonia twice in 7 months. Suspected asthma and rhinitis. After 4 days of taking the granules my child has an extremely high fever with flu like symptoms, pink eye and a bacterial ear infection, plus his nose has been horrendously blocked and stuffy since taking montelukast. My gp has advised us to stop taking it .”

CEeCee · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I cannot take Singulair. I have asthma. My symptoms are I can't get a full breath. I get very short of breath regardless of if I am sitting or walking. I have a constant runny nose so thought I would try Singulair. I was on it a week and it made my struggling to breathe worse. I stopped taking it and I feel much better. I think singulair made the mucous viscous and hard so I couldn't get rid of it. Hence, my breathing got worse. I get very very fatigued. I m sad as I was hoping this would work for me.”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “After I got asthma three months ago I personally thought I was going to be the end of me. My breathing was difficult and was making me depressed. I started singulair 2 months ago. It took about 6 weeks for the medicine to fully work for me but now I feel wonderful. I feel 95 pro cent like before I got ill. No side effects for me. I totally recommend!”