User Reviews for Montelukast (Page 5)

Also known as: Singulair

Allergic Rhinitis 5.1
Summary of Montelukast reviews 5.4 419 reviews

Reviews for Montelukast

Keloggs81 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 12, 2019

For Asthma: “My seven year old son was given montelukast from the age of 2 for his asthma. We were not told of any side effects at the time. Although since an increase in his medication from the age of six we noticed a massive change in his behaviour. He went from such a happy, outgoing child to the complete opposite. Constant mood swings, aggressive, angry all the time, hating himself, terrible nightmares to the point we can not get him to go to bed. We became that desperate trying to help him we even looked into seeing a therapist when my mum just by chance seen a newspaper article on montelukast explaining someone’s terrible experience and how it changed them mentally and emotionally. We have just stopped him taking the drug after all these years and seeing my happy boy coming back. Just wish I had read up on it sooner.”

DP May 8, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “This montelukast medication is awful! But at least reading these reviews puts me at ease that I’m not going to go insane cause that’s literally where I felt I was heading after just 3 weeks into taking these without realising it was these. Then 3 days ago when I looked at the instructions and other information and stopped taking them immediately. Never in my life have I experienced mental issues before taking this, and all of a sudden on montelukast I was having a panic attacks, feeling anxious and depressed, getting tremors just the most horrible things that I never understood before I felt this! Now I know what people go through. But this drug causes these effects and apparently it’s not that uncommon either if you read the instructions, 1 in 100 will experience these side affects, in the scale of things that isn’t that rare at all I think. These side effects are dying down but far from normal yet, clearly the reviews here speak volumes. Horrible horrible drug, Stay clear of montelukast!!!!!!”

SMP April 29, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Oh my, reading these comments are making me sick to my stomach...my allergist put me on Montelukast to help with sneezing about 6-7 weeks ago. Although it has helped with that, my mental health has declined rapidly. I have severe anxiety, am unable to sleep on most days without sleep aid, I cry often, am angry, had my first panic attack and constantly arguing with my husband and mother for no reason. If it weren’t for such loving and understanding family members, I’m sure my husband would have left me and my mother would have disowned me. I work with HCP’s ( Health Care Practitioner) in the community and one Nurse Practioner friend/colleague warned me about the side effects because she & her daughter had the same issues. I disregarded them since my allergist blew the mental health claims off like they were extremely rare and it would be unlikely that it would happen. I took my last dose yesterday, flushed the rest down the toilet & called my PCP to ask him to place me back on antidepressants at least until this passes!”

KC · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I was prescribed this to help with asthma control I noticed in a few days that my rhinitis had significantly improved, as well as the constant sensation of mucous at the back of my throat Asthma is generally better controlled I do not think Singulair has helped with my exercise induced bronchospasm as I still take ventolin prior to each cardio session/run.”

OS Girl April 2, 2019

For Asthma: “Great medication I use to wake up gasping for air every night. My allergy Doctor gave me this with an inhaler. I take this medication at night. It will make you sleepy. It has been 3 years and no side effects. But, I do wake up very rarely gasping. But, this is only during allergy season when pollen count is extremely high.”

Glenda Masanegra April 1, 2019

For Asthma: “I have been coughing for 2 months when my doctor said I have asthma and he recommended this meds. He did say it might take awhile to completely take coughing away but in 1 week timed its gone... my meds for 30 days is not consumed... this meds is great!”

Will · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I only used this drug one time, and I took it to help with allergies. I took a 10 mg tab of montelukast at around 10pm. At 3:30am I woke up and had a panic attack. The whole next day I was trying to fight off panic attacks until around 8:30pm when the drug started to die down. I never took another. The panic attacks have stopped.”

Redhdstepson · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 20, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “My sinuses were affected so bad during allergy season I could not go half a day without watery, itchy swollen eyes, completely plugged and swollen sinuses thanks to montelukast daily I can actually function and enjoy the indoors and outdoors again”

Jeff February 18, 2019

For Asthma: “tl;dr version. Monetlukast definitely worked as a maintenance medication but had unpleasant side effects after prolonged use. Lifelong asthmatic but for the last 10+ years, my asthma has been under control with Asmanex. Started struggling with allergy-induced asthma late 2018, needing a rescue inhaler multiple times every day. Doctor prescribed montelukast pills in addition to doubling Asmanex and my issues have definitely dissipated since early January. I went to single Asmanex alongside the montelukast and have been breathing fine. Its far more affordable (~$10/month) compared to the doubled Asmanex (~$50/month) but in the last few weeks, I have been incredibly exhausted and achy. Sleep has been difficult and I feel very mentally clouded. I suffer from anxiety normally, but have not had any symptoms with regard to that. If anything, I'm too exhausted to be anxious.”

Char · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2019

Singulair (montelukast) for Asthma: “I started with singulair a few months ago. Before taking it I would be awakened with wheezing, nasal congestion and just feeling like I could not get enough air. It has been a wonder drug, immediately all the asthma symptoms at night were relieved and stopped the early morning coughing. I occasionally have short term wheezing but nothing like previously and so far no side effects.”

Mela123 · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2019

For Asthma: “I experienced horrific side effects from this drug. After about 4 days of taking it, I developed anxiety and depression, body aches and extreme feeling of tiredness. I stopped taking it right away, but I had flu-like symptoms for the next 5 days or so, where I could not even get out of bed. I'm now on day 9 off the drug, and am slowly getting back to myself but still feeling quite tired, sleepy and anxious.”

Football fan · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2018

For Asthma: “I took Montelukast for 9 days before bedtime. I was having frequent common cold, so my doctor prescribed me Montelukast as an alternative to Levocetirizine. My Asthma is not so serious as I only use the Revolizer and not the inhaler. I'd advise everyone to not use this med as it has some serious side effects. After taking the first few tablets, I started feeling anxious and I experienced breathing problems. I visited the doctor and he said that I shouldn't have any breathing problems as my lungs were fine. Then I checked for the side effects of Montelukast and found out it has a lot, so I consulted with my doctor and he removed Montelukast from the prescription. It's been 5 days since I dropped that drug and I still feel anxious and difficulty in breathing at times. Reading others reviews have helped and now I'm just going to wait till this anxiety goes away. I just hope that it goes away, this anxious feeling is getting on my nerves.”

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2018

For Asthma: “I started this medication when I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I thought my gas, bloating, fatigue and weakness were from the antibiotics but even after finishing them the bloating etc got worse so I am guessing it is the Singulair. I don’t think I really need it so I will stop taking and hopefully feel better. After reading all of the information on anxiety and depression ( which I have had for 30 years) I am shocked my Dr. put me on this.”

Mom of 2 November 14, 2018

For Asthma: “I took montelukast for about 8 months and that’s when my nightmare began. I was so anxious and crying all the time with vivid dreams. It really did help my asthma but the side effects make you feel like you are losing your mind. I am 42 yrs old and have always been active, happy, and the first to be up to do anything. It’s has been 4 months since I stopped taking this horrible medicine and I am just beginning to feel back to my old self. I warn everyone please be careful with this medicine. It works to control your asthma but be aware of your mood changes and tell your dr right away.”

YearRoundAllergies · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Simply did not work.”

Ddras · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2018

For Asthma: “I went on montelukast three weeks ago. I have had no prior mental difficulties, anxiety or depression. Three weeks later I’m experiencing agitation, anxiety, nightmares (which I haven’t had since I was a child, I’m a 52 year old woman. I’m irritated and my thoughts race. As far as those racing thoughts... I seem to get obsessed on a subject and I can’t stop googling and looking and checking and doing something related to that topic! Every day it’s something new to obsess over. A close friend who is a psychologist looked at the side effects of montelukast and said CALL YOUR DOCTOR. NOW. She also gave me the phone number of a psychiatrist. I called both my pulmonologist who prescribed and the psychologist. Ugh. This stuff works wonderfully, but quite seriously I’d rather just cough and have asthma attacks.”

M&M Mom · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 10, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I am a parent of two children. Both children took Singulair for allergies. Both children had issues while taking Singulair and experiences withdrawal effects once I stopped the medication. My daughter developed TICS, TREMORS, ANGER, RAGE, OCD, ANXIETY, Mood Swings, agitation to name a few side effects. My son developed frequent urination, muscle issues, joint pain and sadness. Both my children developed a hypersensitivity to all artificial sweeteners, dyes and all emulsifiers/preservatives as the inactive ingredients are made up of most of these items. Their hypersensitivity to artificial sweeteners, dyes and emulsifiers/preservatives still continue even though they stopped the medicine.”

tconlgirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 28, 2018

For Asthma: “This drug gave me back my life. I have cough variant asthma and flare ups would last for months. I would have violent coughing several times an hour. This takes the "itch" or "tickle" away so I no longer feel like I need to cough. It also helps with the feeling I need to clear my throat. A godsend.”

Ksue · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2018

For Asthma: “I have been taking montelukast for three months, I persisted with the vivid nightmares, irritability, anxiety and depression because it was so effective for my asthma. Family, friends and work colleagues noticed my mood change and my inability to be happy. The weight gain was another unwanted side effect. The prolonged and worsening side effects have forced me to stop taking it.”

A Anglea Solo · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Not sure if it's because I started using this medicine at the end of spring (summer not as severe) but so far this has been THE BEST medicine I've tried. If there's a day where I feel like I need something on top, I take claritin (as recommended by my doctor). I no longer use nasal spray. No more benadryl making me drowsy. As per side effects, I am normally a bit of an anxious person and I have seen no increase. Still as happy as can be, no nightmares no depression. No fatigue, no cold sweats at night, its been great! However my menstrual cycle has been the only thing that has DEFINITELY changed. Went from a 28 day cycle ,to a 35-40 day cycle!! Talk about a lot of confusion when that time came around and nothing happened. I keep close track and am very in tune with my body and yes this has definitely change my cycle. Other than that I am so thankful I can live more of a normal life. I cant wait to see how it holds up when it comes to sinus infection season.”

Kells · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 12, 2018

For Asthma: “I have always struggles with asthma, especially with exercise and colds. This helped me a lot day to day but also with my asthma. Most of all, it prevents my colds from damaging my lungs from coughing.”

Who nut · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I was having bad allergies my nose was really swollen. Doc prescribed this for me and within a few days it was gone. Helps with my summer allergies but I still need my other medications. Also, I had a few times when I felt I could not breathe, which is rare So I took this medicine, and felt better and just a few minutes.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2018

Singulair (montelukast) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I was having bad shortness of breath that distressed me. My doctor put me on singular and it saved me! On day one I noticed a big difference within an hour. They say take at night but I take it in the morning. Works like a charm with no side effects. I was advised to take the generic as it was cheaper with my plan”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 27, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have asthma caused by a year round allergy from mould and it could be very bad. I have uncontrolled allergy and later progress to mild asthma for a very long time. I have suffered 3 sinus surgeries and countless sinus infection. Montelukast is no short of miracle. It is able to quickly control my symptoms when using with Dyjmista and advair inhaler. However, I starting to have symptoms of muscle pain and joint pain all over and feel tired. I took me a long time to figured out what was the cause. I finally able to get off montelukast while maintain control of my allergy with dymista and advair. Most of body and joint pain dissipated after a few days of discontinuation of montelukast. Furthermore my fatigue have been improving since montelukast discontinuation. This drug is very effective for me in the short term but the long term side effect is just not acceptable.”

chicagopd · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I’m taking this medication along with 40mg Ompramazole twice daily with 300mg Rantidine at bedtime. Diagnosed with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) and environmental allergies causing me to cough day & night, gagging and involuntarily expelling clear mucus. After 5 weeks no change. I’m now on Day 3 of Singulair which I take about 6pm. It seems to lessen my coughing episodes & they are less exaggerated but when using the bathroom at night I am dizzy and find myself holding on to walls and doorways to walk. When I wake up in the morning the dizziness is gone. I wonder if this will go away,”