User Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Also known as: Singulair

Montelukast has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 101 ratings for the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance. 51% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Montelukast Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Montelukast

CEeCee · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “I cannot take Singulair. I have asthma. My symptoms are I can't get a full breath. I get very short of breath regardless of if I am sitting or walking. I have a constant runny nose so thought I would try Singulair. I was on it a week and it made my struggling to breathe worse. I stopped taking it and I feel much better. I think singulair made the mucous viscous and hard so I couldn't get rid of it. Hence, my breathing got worse. I get very very fatigued. I m sad as I was hoping this would work for me.”

Judi,Aussie October 29, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “Have been on Singulair since it came on the market in Aust years ago. I call it my Magic pill with no obvious side effects despite having many other allergies. I didn't find it helped my hay fever though so take 1/2an antihistamine as well in summer when humid and winter when smoke from fires around. I went from high dose cortisone puffers and using Ventolin most of the day still being breathless and wheezing all the time to breathing free within 4 days of starting and off all puffers within the week. Due to cost about a year in was running out so cut down to 1/2 tablet which still left me free of the asthma so then tried a 1/4 and found this still worked, so have continued on this since then. ( to be continued as not enough space)”

GreenSubmarine May 2, 2014

“I've had asthma all my life and after 14 years, montelukast was introduced to aid my other medication. For a year and a half my asthma was controlled, and then my dosage was doubled because I turned 16. After the increased dosage, my mental health worsened, and after dealing with terrible anxiety and depression for 18 months, I realised that it fitted with the time period that I'd been taking this and was worsened with increased dosage. It had all been side effects. The extra montelukast was a tipping point in my mental health and I became suicidal. I stopped using this immediately and my parents got me help, after 6 months I had recovered. I share this in the hope that it prevents the same thing from happening.”

KC · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I was prescribed this to help with asthma control I noticed in a few days that my rhinitis had significantly improved, as well as the constant sensation of mucous at the back of my throat Asthma is generally better controlled I do not think Singulair has helped with my exercise induced bronchospasm as I still take ventolin prior to each cardio session/run.”

Anonymous October 25, 2010

Singulair (montelukast): “This medicine worked wonders for my 3 year old's allergies, however, I am in the process of taking him off of it. He has always been a very well-behaved child, soft spoken and very smart. Since he started taking the medication (from the first day) he has been completely unable to sit still, has been chewing on things (something he outgrew a year and a half ago), and has been unable to follow simple directions. He has also been much more aggressive. When I asked him about it, he said (word for word), "It makes me feel wiggly. And when the wiggles start I can't stop them and the house spins and I fall down." I urge parents to keep an eye on their children for behavioral changes always, especially with this medication.”

Italian Mama · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): “My 6 yr old son has been in and out of the hospital since he was a baby with breathing problems. He was officially diagnosed with asthma when he was 2. He had been flown to a children's hospital and that's where he was diagnosed. He was put on a Flovent inhaler. This cut down on our ER trips, but not totally. We figured out that his asthma attacks were triggered by wind storms, allergy related things etc. They then put him on Singulair. I call it the Magic Pill!!!! We have not been to the ER in 2 years!! No side effects that we can tell. ”

SarahT0908 February 2, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): “I'm on Singulair for asthma (I've grown out of it mostly) and for allergy/rhinitis maintenance. It works wonders! I also lived in China for two years and it was critical for me managing the monthly colds I would get there. This stuff really keeps congestion and allergies at bay, love it!”

dunno12345 January 6, 2012

Singulair (montelukast): “I took this medication a few years back. Although I read the side effects, I never imagined that I would have a bad reaction to the medication. This medication worked great in controlling my asthma. However, I became very depressed, suffered from anxiety and just not me. It didn't happen immediately, but people started noticing a difference. I started noticing a difference. I never had a history of any of that stuff. After I came off the medication I was back to being me. For me, the side effects weren't worth it”

Ashly62 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 18, 2020

“Think LONG and HARD before you take this stuff!! I ended up in the psych hospital on suicide watch!!!! I’ve never had mental health problems in all of my 64 years. I am/was a successful, healthy and articulate attorney/professor/writer/dancer. The bizarre nightmares/paranoia/hallucinations became so severe they thought I had schizophrenia. I lost my job and almost lost my husband. My doctor doesn’t believe this was caused by the Singulair but ALL of the symptoms slowly went away in the 6 months after I quit taking it. Sadly I’m not sure I’ll ever be the same person. My cognitive ability has greatly suffered.”

gutz4glory_911 March 25, 2009

Singulair (montelukast): “I have had Asthma all my life. This medication CHANGED my life. I have always used albuterol (inhaler and nebulizer) for fast acting relief, along with steroid preventative inhalers. Two years ago when I was diagnosed yet again with pneumonia, my new doctor prescribed Singulair. I am an active person, who likes to run etc. Until Singulair I had never in my lifetime ran without having to use my albuterol both before and after. Not only that, this year I made it through flu season without developing pneumonia. Until I used Singulair I had never known what it felt like to be "normal". To run and exist without having to stop because I was wheezing and couldn't breathe.”

Anonymous January 6, 2010

Singulair (montelukast): “My 4 year old son was on this for a year. It worked wonders for his asthma but made him a very violent and aggressive child. We didn't notice the changes in his behavior until he had been on it for over 6 months. His fits of rage became more and more frequent. We finally decided that we would take him off to see if the Singulair was the cause. We noticed changes in him the first day he was off of it. He is back to being my sweet and loving child with no rage and no violence. It is a great drug for those that don't have this side effect.”

Thankful Lisa November 15, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): “I have been on singular for less than 1 week. I have noticed that with the slightest bump I bruise easily. My mouth is dry but my throat is not closing in. I have been sleeping better and have been more active. Still take allergy medicine occasionally, advair and blue puffer. Wowzers”

Steph · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

“WARNING!!! I was prescribed this medication 9 days ago after a serious asthma attack. I’ve had mild asthma (mostly exercise induced) for about 20 years but haven’t been on preventative meds since I was in high school. Since beginning this medication last week, I have experienced major mood and psychological changes - this medication is awful. I have felt completely foggy, out of it, dissociated from reality, disinterested in anything, unable to concentrate, shaky, fast heartbeat, my teeth hurt and feel like they are covered in a weird film. Seriously I felt like I was in danger of my own actions. I am never taking Singulair again and I would caution every person who is prescribed to really pay attention to how you feel because this is NOT normal. I read that that medication has a pretty quick half-life so it will hopefully be out of my system in the next 30 hours.”

texasgirl57 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 12, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “Singulair has been a blessing for my asthma. However when I was switched to the generic, in October, all of my asthma symptoms came back. Wheezing, shortness of breath, use of inhaler (which I only used prior to exercise) several times a day. My doctor has written me a prescription for brand Singulair. The pharmacy gave me the three pills they had in stock and ordered the rest to come in tomorrow. I did the same thing a few weeks ago with another pharmacy and their distributor no longer carries the brand. Hopefully this will not happen again tomorrow and I can go back on the brand Singulair. Since the problem with the generic I have been on Prednisone, Symbicort and two nasal spray to try and get my asthma under control.”

Yuman Human · Taken for 10 years or more April 13, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “I have been taking Singulair for 10 years. Singulair has virtually made my asthma almost non-existent! I take it every night and rarely have to use my inhaler. Since I also have seasonal allergies, there is usually a short period of time when I find I need a puff from my inhaler, but it's not often. Any and all medications can cause side effects and everyone will have different experiences, but I feel that the risk was worth it! The only real issue I believe may be associated with Singulair is excessive dryness in my nose that causes sores every now and again. I feel comfortable staying on Singulair because being able to breath easily far outweighs the one side effect I have.”

Kelly · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

“This medication montelukast stole 4 years of my sons life. My son was on this medication from the age of 3-7 years old. He came off 10 months ago when we finally made the connection with the troubles he was having. He suffered the most horrendous nightmares and hallucinations. He spoke about death all the time. Severe anxiety Night sweats Always paranoid Hyperactivity He hated his own face When he first came off the drug he also developed facial tics from withdrawal and bouts of up and down behaviours. This lasted for around 4-5 months. We finally feel like we have our happy little boy back. If I could get those four years back for him I would in a heart beat. PLEASE DON’T TAKE THIS DRUG The benefits to not outweigh the risk”

April Ross September 7, 2017

Singulair (montelukast): “I have used this drug for over 15 years. I have asthma triggered by inhalants and the original version has totally controlled my symptoms. I used the generic when it came out because of cost. I started having mild asthma symptoms within a few days. When my local Target switched to another generic I developed hypersensitivity pneumonitis which was diagnosed after over $20,000 in lab work and a bronchoscopy. Back on original singulair..and no problem again. It really controls my asthma and allergic reactions.”

Chico, Ca, sufferer January 11, 2011

Singulair (montelukast): “I had horrible side effects from Singulair. I started suffering severe anxiety attacks, which my boyfriend (who is an EMT) linked back to Singulair. My allergy doctor wasn't even sure it was the Singulair until I talked to my pharmacist. Heed caution that the rare side effects can happen and that they are scary.”

NorCalM March 27, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): “I have mild asthma that occasionally worsens to be more moderate. I'm another person who has mood effects from taking Singular, and in addition, it's affecting my ability to enjoy certain flavors. It feels like an antihistamine, sort of, causing my mouth to feel dry, and I feel thirsty a lot. I'd live with that, but I am experiencing this weird agitation that's quite uncomfortable. I'm very aware of it, and I'm an adult, not a kid, so I probably won't bite anybody's head off. However, I think it might not be worth it to me and I think I'll stop it for a few days to compare how I feel then with what I'm feeling now.”

servewithmintsauce · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): “I've been stepping up and up since I was diagnosed with asthma. First it was just Ventolin, then we added Clenil Modulite, then Seretide 50/25 at Christmas, up to Seretide 125/25 a few weeks later, adding in Avamys nasal spray for hayfever and Acrivastine for hayfever and Type 1 latex allergy, then finally adding on Montelukast. Sadly, unlike some of the other people on here, I haven't been able to get down to just Montelukast. However, I'd say it's a miracle pill! I play ice hockey and overnight I went from tight chest and coughing and wheezing after hockey (I have CVA so wheezing is weird) to being totally fine. I still struggle if I max out, so I have to change out regularly but I play forward so that's easy enough. It's just great!!!”

Doodle · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2021

Singulair (montelukast): “I used to have trouble breathing. Would exhale a deep breath and wheeze and cough. I would have to hit my reliever inhaler 3 to 4 times a day. I would wake up at least twice a night to hit my inhaler. I am allergic to nature. I took Singulair for the first night a day ago and slept through the night. Woke up able to breath. I also have been in a very good mood. Not sure if thats because I can breath or got a good night's sleep. Either way its because of Singulair.”

ItWasAboutTime January 31, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “Inhaler from allergist didn't help breathing problems. I always felt the fresh air I breathed in only got half way down and then hit a filter of some sort. Had wheezing/whistles every day at the end of my exhale. Inhaler didn't help. Out of breath over the slightest activity. Got an prescription from family practice doc for this. This has eliminated my wheezing and out of breath feeling. I'm allergic to just about everything year round. It did not eliminate my need for allergy medication but it has made my breathing perfect. I wouldn't ever want to do without this medication. ”

nunismama · Taken for 10 years or more April 26, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “I have been on Singulair since it was first on the market. This medication has given me a life that is free of fear from episodes of asthma attacks. Before this medication I was using a steroid inhaler and short acting and long acting. Not to mention the nasal spray and the allergy medication. Five medications versus the one of Singulair plus a fast acting for exercise or shortness of breath.”

Cat Lady March 1, 2020

“On montelukast for breathing and now my cough is well controlled now and my lungs feel light and clear. I sleep deeper, longer and more soundly than I have in years. Shortly after waking up I can usually remember parts of some silly dream and I welcome that because it means I was able to reach a deeper level of sleep.”

Chris · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2019

“I had my doubts as doctors have been insisting my asthma was too bad for Singulair/montelukast; however, I asked to try it and it has made a world of difference. I've been able to drastically reduce my ICS combo inhaler to 1 puff to none at all. Beware though, cheap generics vary greatly. Unichem worked outstandingly, my CVS switched to Torrent and it was like it didn't work at all. I asked for Unichem again, and it worked like magic again. If Montelukast stops working, you may want to switch generic manufacturers... My Montelukast experience made me read the book "Bottle of Lies" ...very eye opening... See also the Camber Pharma generic Montelukast recall in 2018, they mistakenly bottled a high blood pressure medicine and sold it as Montelukast...in short BUYER BEWARE....”