User Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Also known as: Singulair

Montelukast Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Montelukast

Ellie July 27, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “I stopped taking Montelukast after several years. Learned of an FDA warning re: cognitive effects. My breathing has worsened significantly in recent months. My breathing worsened this spring 2020 post MS exacerbation. My air conditioner was occupied by birds - mgmt. neglect of outside grille to prevent birds, bats, etc. I also use AC for MS. Tested neg. for SARS CoV2 April 2020. Started nebulizer yesterday to complement Advair. I will try Montelukast again. Mood wise I did not notice anything significant. Anxiety per MS is a given-like living on the edge of a cliff. Stupidity reigned in mgmt as they refused to clean the air conditioner for pathogens. They violated Fair Housing Law - acted in accordance with Human Rights. 30th Ann. of ADA 7-26-20!”

Tayo · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “I’ve been using this medication for a few days and the anxiety is so bad. I think I’m going off of it. It was so expensive to buy but I can’t handle the way it makes me feel.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

“I had a severe allergic reaction to montelukast. Skin rash, difficulty breathing, high blood pressure, hot flash, legs tingly. Weird dreams, cough worse. Quit taking after 2 days. Feel terrible on it.”

Kelly · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

“This medication montelukast stole 4 years of my sons life. My son was on this medication from the age of 3-7 years old. He came off 10 months ago when we finally made the connection with the troubles he was having. He suffered the most horrendous nightmares and hallucinations. He spoke about death all the time. Severe anxiety Night sweats Always paranoid Hyperactivity He hated his own face When he first came off the drug he also developed facial tics from withdrawal and bouts of up and down behaviours. This lasted for around 4-5 months. We finally feel like we have our happy little boy back. If I could get those four years back for him I would in a heart beat. PLEASE DON’T TAKE THIS DRUG The benefits to not outweigh the risk”

Mommy2009 March 10, 2020

“Monteleukast has been life changing for me. Within 3 days of starting the drug I slept through the night without being woken by a tight chest. It has really improved my asthma control. I was told by the asthma nurse that it works for 50% of people and does nothing for the other 50%, I would know within a week. I have felt more anxious but this has been helped by 50mg sertraline. I am better than I have been in years.”

Cat Lady March 1, 2020

“On montelukast for breathing and now my cough is well controlled now and my lungs feel light and clear. I sleep deeper, longer and more soundly than I have in years. Shortly after waking up I can usually remember parts of some silly dream and I welcome that because it means I was able to reach a deeper level of sleep.”

Flo · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2020

“I’m really struggling with this. My child has been having terrible episodes since she was a baby. I found Montelukaskt absolutely amazing for her, it has literally kept her out of hospital but I thought I was imagining the terrible side effects until I read this thread. She becomes very angry quickly, having random outbursts. Has night terrors and hyperactivity. Cries uncontrollably about seemingly nothing. Can’t cope with the smallest of things. Is always thirsty and the list goes on and on. How can 4mg that helps so amazingly with her breathing do such awful things to her? I read the leaflet again and again and all the symptoms she was getting were in the “uncommon” section so I naturally thought I had got it wrong. Especially as she has special needs but even more reason why I want her off it as she can’t get a good enough assessment with all these side effects and it can’t be good for her little brain. I’ve tried giving only when needed but that isn’t recommended.”

Liz Purcell-no need for nicks · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “Currently on Singulair with no issues.”

Kungfumom98 · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2020

“Please please please do not take this drug montelukast. If you are on it right now, please quit. Given to my 14 year old son for seasonal exercise induced asthma 2.5 weeks ago. After about a week of taking it, he would be very anxious during the day, overthink each and every thing, wake up with night sweats and generally be bogged down unreasonably. Made those two weeks on it a living nightmare. He had issues at school and listening to me. Stopped it 2 days ago and already seeing improvement of his sweating and mood.”

CEeCee · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “I cannot take Singulair. I have asthma. My symptoms are I can't get a full breath. I get very short of breath regardless of if I am sitting or walking. I have a constant runny nose so thought I would try Singulair. I was on it a week and it made my struggling to breathe worse. I stopped taking it and I feel much better. I think singulair made the mucous viscous and hard so I couldn't get rid of it. Hence, my breathing got worse. I get very very fatigued. I m sad as I was hoping this would work for me.”

Chris · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2019

“I had my doubts as doctors have been insisting my asthma was too bad for Singulair/montelukast; however, I asked to try it and it has made a world of difference. I've been able to drastically reduce my ICS combo inhaler to 1 puff to none at all. Beware though, cheap generics vary greatly. Unichem worked outstandingly, my CVS switched to Torrent and it was like it didn't work at all. I asked for Unichem again, and it worked like magic again. If Montelukast stops working, you may want to switch generic manufacturers... My Montelukast experience made me read the book "Bottle of Lies" ...very eye opening... See also the Camber Pharma generic Montelukast recall in 2018, they mistakenly bottled a high blood pressure medicine and sold it as Montelukast...in short BUYER BEWARE....”

Ellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “Singulair was so disappointing, I needed a game changer for my asthma and I was reassured that this could be it . Has made absolutely no difference.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 20, 2019

“I have mild late onset asthma. I was prescribed montelukast last year as I was being troubled by a night time cough. I took it for a month and the cough went. As a test for myself I then didn't take it for a month and the cough returned. However, the prime reason for my posting this review concerns hay fever and my allergic reaction to certain types of insect bites, horse flies for example. I have suffered from severe hay fever for over 50 years. In addition to taking antihistamine I have had to carry about eye drops, nasal spray and an asthma puffer. This summer - my first on montelukast - I have had no hay fever symptoms at all and my allergic reaction to those insect bites has been markedly reduced. What more can I say.....”

Steph · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

“WARNING!!! I was prescribed this medication 9 days ago after a serious asthma attack. I’ve had mild asthma (mostly exercise induced) for about 20 years but haven’t been on preventative meds since I was in high school. Since beginning this medication last week, I have experienced major mood and psychological changes - this medication is awful. I have felt completely foggy, out of it, dissociated from reality, disinterested in anything, unable to concentrate, shaky, fast heartbeat, my teeth hurt and feel like they are covered in a weird film. Seriously I felt like I was in danger of my own actions. I am never taking Singulair again and I would caution every person who is prescribed to really pay attention to how you feel because this is NOT normal. I read that that medication has a pretty quick half-life so it will hopefully be out of my system in the next 30 hours.”

NewYorker · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 14, 2019

“I had adult onset of asthma in 2013 (also had it as a kid). My Allergist put me on 10mg Montelukast (generic for singular) per day in the evening or before sleeping. I really thought that after short term treatment my asthma would subside. However, that has not been the case which means that I now have to take this med everyday probably for rest of my life. It has been a miracle drug for me. I have night time asthma where if I don't take Montelukast, I wake up in the middle of the might with chest tightness, wheezing and coughing. With it, I am able to sleep properly without any symptoms. Time to time I do break the 10mg into half to make it 5g and it still works well for me. Luckily I have not experienced from any physical side effects though psychological side effects are tough to assess. I've read it can cause mood changes/anxiety/aggression, etc. While I don't have extreme case of these symptoms, all of us suffer from these things time to time so it's not so black and white.”

Jessica June 9, 2019

“I’ve been taking this medication montelukast since I was 7 and I am now 19. Since taking it my asthma has been average. The mental side effects in my opinion outweigh any good effects it has had on me. I suffer from bouts of anxiety attacks and increasingly dark thoughts. It makes me aggressive. I find myself having severe mood swings. Every time I take a break from it I find myself feeling better but as I begin to take it again I have another mental episode. I feel this drug needs more labels of warning and should not be prescribed until more research into the medical effects has been done.”

CC May 15, 2019

“I’m a doctor and have been skeptical about Singulair as it’s used much more widely in France than here in the UK. I’ve developed adult onset asthma and for the first time I had a bout where it was not well-controlled. I looked up the drug on medical websites and every trial says how effective it is for suppressing eosinophils, reducing asthma preventer and reliever medication. So I started taking it. My sleep has been affected I have insomnia. I was in a terrible snappy mood with my kids over the weekend and couldn’t figure out why. And I feel so sad. Just low can’t think of anything positive and felt close to panic attack’s last night. In the bath my legs have felt shaky for a few nights which is bizarre and I put down to biking at the gym but I’m really fit and haven’t changed my routine so this doesn’t make sense. I’m going to stop the medication and keep it for acute episodes but unfortunately for me I don’t seem able to handle it long term. I wish I could.”

DP May 8, 2019

“This montelukast medication is awful! But at least reading these reviews puts me at ease that I’m not going to go insane cause that’s literally where I felt I was heading after just 3 weeks into taking these without realising it was these. Then 3 days ago when I looked at the instructions and other information and stopped taking them immediately. Never in my life have I experienced mental issues before taking this, and all of a sudden on montelukast I was having a panic attacks, feeling anxious and depressed, getting tremors just the most horrible things that I never understood before I felt this! Now I know what people go through. But this drug causes these effects and apparently it’s not that uncommon either if you read the instructions, 1 in 100 will experience these side affects, in the scale of things that isn’t that rare at all I think. These side effects are dying down but far from normal yet, clearly the reviews here speak volumes. Horrible horrible drug, Stay clear of montelukast!!!!!!”

KC · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I was prescribed this to help with asthma control I noticed in a few days that my rhinitis had significantly improved, as well as the constant sensation of mucous at the back of my throat Asthma is generally better controlled I do not think Singulair has helped with my exercise induced bronchospasm as I still take ventolin prior to each cardio session/run.”

overpriced July 25, 2018

Singulair (montelukast): “The generic is out. I have taken both and there is no difference. Buy the generic and do not waste your money on the name brand.”

P · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2018

“I used to take singular for asthma maintenance and it worked great. No side affects. Recently noticed a spike In needing my rescue inhaler so went to Dr to get back on singular. Well he wrote me a prescription for singular but at pharmacy thru substituted it wit montelukast and it's making me have fatigue, I can't sleep at night due to coughing. Bad coughing till I've thrown up . Memory loss where I can't recall words and I have a good vocabulary, now I can't think of words. I feel like I'm under water or in a haze. Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms?”

Skylark77 · Taken for 10 years or more April 17, 2018

“Singular has been a lifesaver for me. It helps both my asthma and allergic rhinitis with no side effects. I go on it every spring and fall and it completely keeps me from needing steroids and usually rescue inhalers. I haven’t had a single urgent care visit since this med came on the market.”

Mom of Lukey · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2018

“My son first day on this drug was a mom’s worst nightmare. My son is 3 and a half old. On the first day, his nose was bleeding. The worst part was he was banging his leg on the furniture and saying “Mom, I want to hurt my self!” He kept saying it over and over. My son is the happiest and funniest boy you would ever meet. He is always happy and this was not like him at all. Today will be his first and will be the last day on this medication!!!!!”

Joe P March 14, 2018

“I've been having a respiratory infection for about 3 months with tons of phlegm every single day and asthma on top of it. My doctor prescribed antibiotics - they didn't do anything then finally I was prescribed the Singulair. After the first pill I noticed that I got much more infection symptoms my phlegm turn back to yellow and I started getting burning in my belly liver pain throbbing headache and neck ache. After the second pill I woke up at 4 a.m. with 104° fever and I was freezing so much that my teeth were chattering and my liver pain was off the charts I stopped taking it immediately but the fever lasted for another 3 days and caught the flu. I would not recommend this drug for anybody that has any type of infection because it will stop your own immune system from fighting the infection and your infection symptoms will get way worse.”

Holcombe February 14, 2018

“I have been taking Singular for many years (around 15 years). When I first started taking it, the Singular worked great. It was not a generic and I was able to get off steroids by taking it. Within the past 3 months when I started taking one of the new generics, made by Camber Pharmaceutical and my wheezing and coughing started again. This new generic does not work. I found a bottle with about ten of the other Singular and started taking them and they worked. I tried again to take the new ones and started wheezing and coughing again.”