User Reviews for Montelukast to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Also known as: Singulair

Montelukast has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 162 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. 40% of those users who reviewed Montelukast reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Montelukast Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 272 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Montelukast

jdetweiler13 · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2021

“The worst thing I have ever been on. The doctor prescribed me this to make the inflammation go down in my nose since steroid nasal spray didn’t help. It made all of my symptoms so much worse. I then developed nausea, migraines, and tiredness throughout the day. I felt so weak my legs went numb at one point.”

ws · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

“Any medication/drug can have negative side effects - Everyone is different. That said I had concerns about this drug, I've been taking it for four days and I've noticed a slight improvement. The first night I had some funky vivid dreams, but other than that nothing negative to report. I'm hoping things continue to improve. Thanks everyone for writing these reviews, the information really helps!”

RN · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2021

“My nose does not drip as much ( real liquid ) but I still have to blow my nose all the time and I still sneeze quite a lot.”

Han November 9, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “I felt the need to write this review for anyone who is scared due to possible side effects. I was in here about a week ago reading through all the reviews just absolutely terrified. I told my husband I wasn't going to take it. I suffer from horrible sinusitis, and I've tried everything. My husband talked my down, and he said we would monitor my behavior closely. First night I took it before bed. I had every expectation to wake up in some kind of horrible headspace. I woke up after a good night's sleep and didn't feel any different. My symptoms we're about the same as well. I have consistently taken it for 7 days now and my sense of smell is coming back a little. I don't notice ANY side effects. I feel myself. If anything I feel happier because I can kind of smell again! It has only been a week, but it has given me hope. So if you are here trying to read reviews to make yourself feel better. Listen. I was completely psyched out about this too, but I am so glad I decided to take it.”

Sandra62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “I was given this medication Singulair for chronic nasal congestion and Rhinitis. After about 2 months, I started to notice my mood changing. I was more argumentative almost to the point of aggression. When I started to have bizarre dreams I then researched the side effects of this drug. Here is what was listed: mental/mood changes (such as agitation, aggression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, abnormal dreams, sleep-walking, memory/attention problems, depression, hallucinations, thoughts of harming yourself/suicide). I immediately stopped taking this medication (it wasn't helping that much anyway) and these side effects have stopped completely. PLEASE be mindful of ALL the side effects of any medications you are taking! I never would have believed that something to help with nasal congestion could cause such problems.”

AC · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “Singulair worked great for my non allergic rhinitis and sinus. I stopped sneezing completely for 2 months on Singulair, I was able to breathe so much better, congestion relief. . Only issue was, I had severe anxiety and occasional panic attacks., even after cutting the pill in half, took every other day. I was truly discouraged, cause the med worked. Tried my best to continue med, but anxiety became overwhelming.”

Dee Dee78 May 8, 2017

Singulair (montelukast): “My doctor prescribed me singulair after my allergy test results came back. Went straight to reviews and seeing so many bad reviews I got worried. I have a history of anxiety and panic attack and people were stating it's only getting worse when you take singular. I even rang my doctor saying I'm really afraid to take them but he politely asked me to give them a go. Not only my allergies settled down and symptoms were really bad I must say. I got back my sense of smell, I could breathe through my nose again, my sleeping patterns improved a lot ( some people experienced nightmares after taking singular, in my case I finally could sleep through the night having nicest dreams ever)Anxiety and panic attacks went away. In my case it did wonders”

Dee-L · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 3, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I have been taking this medication for a few years to treat allergies. At first I would get headaches, but they went away after a few months of use. I do not have anxiety issues with the use of this drug. This drug is a life saver for my allergy symptoms and I will continue to use this drug.”

Anony.mouse August 21, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing.”

Kc · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “This medication really helped my allergies! It was so severe this year I was constantly uncomfortable. Felt like I couldn’t breathe. I was starting to think I had come down with the flu or another illness. This medication helped my allergies so much, the best medication I’ve ever taken for allergies!!”

Will · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I only used this drug one time, and I took it to help with allergies. I took a 10 mg tab of montelukast at around 10pm. At 3:30am I woke up and had a panic attack. The whole next day I was trying to fight off panic attacks until around 8:30pm when the drug started to die down. I never took another. The panic attacks have stopped.”

Gomo · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “Honestly this medicine has helped my allergies drastically but my anxiety is off the wall. I’ve been on it for about 2 weeks... the first few days I was okay but around day 3 I stopped being able to sleep and started waking up with really bad anxiety and muscle/joint pains. I wish they could make this medicine without the side effects :(”

Dr. Anne B · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): “I am a retired physician. Every winter & spring I suffer with horrible congestive episodes, once becoming so dizzy, I barely could get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. I saw an ENT doc who diagnosed me with vasomotor rhinitis, and stopped my Claritin. Spring came around & I was miserable again. I saw an allergist who did multiple skin testing & concluded I had no allergies-urban irritants caused nasal mucosal swelling resulting in my congestion. When my symptoms got worse, I was sent for a CT scan of my sinuses, & was found to have chronic sinusitis. Every year I still have seasonal recurrences of sinusitis. My new PCP decided to try Singulair (Montelukast) along with antibiotics & I can now breathe out of both nostrils. Yay!”

Breathing again · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): “I am a lifetime allergy injection patient. I have been getting allergy injections for the past 35 years. I have had symptons of post nasal drip and clearing of the throat for as long as i can remember that the shots just wont clear up. I started singluar 10 days ago and my years of post nasal drip is gone. Yes!!!! gone for the first time for as long as I can remember.”

Anonymous August 1, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “Medication works well but has some crazy bad side effects’ First time I took it my allergies was from high pollen counts and mold and I was coughing ever second. I was scared but the singulair took the coughing away like right away. A week into the medication I woke up with night terrors so bad, dry heaving, a pending doom feeling. It was awful. Did not take the pill the next day and the side effect went away. Tried this again and it was like you got super sleepy but could not sleep. It was disastrous. I think a regular antihistamine would be better than this rubbish”

Ysmmaster · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2021

Singulair (montelukast): “I tried this drug at the recommendation of my doctor to try to stop the constant mucous running down my throat. After a week with no improvement, I stopped taking it. It did nothing for my problem. Plus, it caused anxiety issues which I couldn't risk getting any worse.”

Joee January 17, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “This medicine changed my life. After 18 months of constant post nasal drip, coughing up sputum, sore throat, and nasal congestion, I think I may have finally found my answer. I have taken almost every medicine suggested to me and seen over 30 doctors. I was finally put on this for Rhinitis and Asthma and I started to notice a big difference by 4 days in. It has now been a week without coughing up sputum (something that I had daily for 18 months), and my congestion and breathing is significantly better. For some reason antihistamines and inhalers don't seem to help me, but Singulair does. I'm so glad that I tried this medication!”

M&M Mom · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 10, 2018

Singulair (montelukast): “I am a parent of two children. Both children took Singulair for allergies. Both children had issues while taking Singulair and experiences withdrawal effects once I stopped the medication. My daughter developed TICS, TREMORS, ANGER, RAGE, OCD, ANXIETY, Mood Swings, agitation to name a few side effects. My son developed frequent urination, muscle issues, joint pain and sadness. Both my children developed a hypersensitivity to all artificial sweeteners, dyes and all emulsifiers/preservatives as the inactive ingredients are made up of most of these items. Their hypersensitivity to artificial sweeteners, dyes and emulsifiers/preservatives still continue even though they stopped the medicine.”

Merth · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2021

Singulair (montelukast): “I was diagnosed with sinusitis in 2014 at age 31. Cause never determined. Ruled out allergies with allergy testing. Had a CT scan which showed excess mucus in my sinus cavities but no structural issues or polyps. I had a balloon sinuplasty which did not improve my symptoms. OTC meds and sprays never helped. My ENT decided to prescribe me Singulair as well as Azelastine spray. I started taking both at bedtime in October 2019. It's been over a year now and I haven't had any adverse reactions. I still have some mild sinus symptoms all year long but have only had a few flareups/infections. I used to have them constantly. I know a lot of people are scared of Singulair side effects and the black box warning, and it's good to be aware of potential side effects. For me, the risk was worth the reward. It's not a cure but it's definitely improved my quality of life.”

say1706 October 27, 2014

Singulair (montelukast): “I'm 49 and have suffered from allergic symptoms ever since I was a kid. Unquestionably it has reduced the quality of life. Anti-histimines were basically ineffective although I could significantly reduce my symptoms by a strict diet that was in the making over the last 30 years by observation (try eating foods high in anti oxidants). I do feel much better since taking Singulair, my nasal congestion is much better, feel no side effects. My only regret is not trying it earlier.”

Scoot · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

Singulair (montelukast): “This drug is not for everyone. I took it for just three days and got very depressed, even to the point having really dark thoughts, had a constant headache, an upset stomach, deep soreness in my teeth, mood swings, and irritability. However, it did help my allergies. Be very conscious of how you feel when you try this drug.”

Hope this helps · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): “I wish I had reported this to the FDA when it happened. I don't know how helpful my account of the side effects from many years ago would be now. However, I would like to share this somewhere, as what I experienced is not verified as a side effect but possibly suspected--- I don't want anyone to go through what I went through and not suspect this medication to be the culprit. After taking one dose of Singular in the evening, the next day, I experienced suicidal thoughts, severe anxiety, and a feeling as if I were being separated from my body (if that makes sense). I have no history of such problems, never took Singular again, and never experienced what I described again.”

KyoZero · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2017

Singulair (montelukast): “Finally, finally, finally! I was originally given this for COPD and asthma so you might be wondering why I am writing this under allergic rhinitis. 24 hours after the first dose and ever since, my nose and sinuses are clear for the first time in literally my entire adolescent and adult life. I can sleep, breathe, and it has greatly helped asthma! Not a single side effect to be found.”

Chuck · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “After 1 dose I woke up at 3 am with Severe chest pains and diarrhea. I Could not hold my urination until I Made it to the bathroom. Finally I Fell asleep with my adjustable bed Raised to sitting. The pains stayed throughout the night and more pains Today. The chest pains subsided. Today I am nervous, anxious, and Still in bed @6pm.”

Corky · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “I have been taking Singular now for 3 weeks. The only problem I find is, I take high blood pressure medication and my blood pressure has been normal for ages but, Singular has made it high. I've been watching my BP morning, noon, and night. In a month or so if it doesn't go down I will stop taking it or talk to my doctor. But, all in all, sure does work great. I can breath ALL the time. And I wake up without a very bad stuffy nose.”

ravenlady13 August 2, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “Started taking Singulair with Zyrtec 3 weeks ago for a severe allergy I developed to my 3 pet rabbits. No side effects to speak of (I did have a headache one day, but I don't think it's related) and today I held one of my bunnies for the first time in 6 months without allergy symptoms. Now I don't have to get rid of some beloved family members!”

PrincessH May 13, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “Amazing results! I have suffered with extreme allergies for many years. I had tried nasal sprays, over the counter allergy meds, & even took the allergy shot-nothing worked until I started taking Singulair. Now I can actually smell flowers in bloom! I use it in combination with Zyrtec.”

klaaja May 23, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): “Started to get post nasal drip horribly over four months ago. tried every otc drug know for allergies, remove bedroom carpet, bought high end humidifier, air purifier, netti potted and drank four liters of water a day. Nothing helped and i would wake up every hour and a half coughing from mucus build up. This medication stopped my symptoms within 2 days. Its very expensive but worth every penny.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis