User Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

Also known as: Singulair

Montelukast has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 170 ratings for the treatment of Asthma. 34% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Montelukast Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast

Angie March 9, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “Be careful! After years of being misdiagnosed, I was given Singulair. Within 4 weeks, I no longer needed my nebulizer or rescue inhalers. I gradually became more tired, and extremely agitated. I began hearing voices in my own home and I live alone. It got worse, not better. One night, I was convinced someone was in my home. Every light in the house was on. I still kept seeing someone! Coming from a military background, and secure in owning firearms, I was searching my home with a gun. I was looking for an intruder who was NOT there! That was my final straw. I threw my Singulair in the garbage. I’m still agitated and frustrated. I am going to try over the counter medication deemed safe. I’m not sure how long the agitation and tiredness will last. I pray this will help someone. Please be careful on this medicine. For me, it’s not worth it. In 55 years, I’ve never seen anyone, or heard voices in my home, until Singulair. (5 weeks total taking it)”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 28, 2021

“Great for asthma and allergies. BUT do not take this if you’re trying to lose weight. It does something to you and makes it completely impossible to lose any weight no matter what you do. Fasting 20 hours a day...OMAD, 800kcals a day, 1200kcals a day, eating to TDEE recommendations, keto, low carb, literal starvation...tried it all and nothing worked over the period of a couple of years. Only when I researched “singulair weight loss” did I find other people with the same issue. Came off Singulair and the weight flew off. Made me feel like I was losing my mind.”

MadmanMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 2, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “While on this medication my asthma and allergies were almost non-existent. However, I also developed severe depression that almost took my life, anxiety, became easily agitated and had pain in my mouth and back. Since I stopped, I feel happier, more patient, less sore but my allergies have come back. If it weren't for the side effects, I would have kept taking it.”

Jess · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 11, 2021

“I’ve been on singular for 5 years now. Prescribed to treat mild asthma and allergic rhinitis (post nasal drip). Paired with a daily dose of Zyrtec, I don’t find it helps my chronic post nasal drip as much as I expected it to (it does some), but it definitely cleared up the mild wheezing I’d suffer from every night. As for side effects, I don’t believe I have ever suffered from any. I also have mental health issues like general anxiety disorder and OCD (both diagnosed prior to taking this ) and neither felt exacerbated”

Laz · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “My asthma came back strong at about age 46. I tried everything. I couldn't exist without an inhaler nearby. Couldn't sleep at night for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Woke up constantly always coughing. Additionally always had sinus infections. This drug has been a life-changer for me. It is a miracle. I haven't experienced any noticeable negative side effects. The first couple days I had some dizzy spells but they subsided. I can't say enough good things about how this has helped me. I went to a couple pulmonologist several emergency rooms and urgent cares along with my primary no one ever recommended this finally I found a ra or PA I don't know but she prescribed this for me and I am forever grateful.”

LokiiDokii · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

“Went on montelukast for mild asthma. It did seem to help me breathe easier, certainly less wheezing. Experienced very intense, vivid dreams - definitely attribute those to this medication because I guess it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Mood was about the same. The reason I stopped taking this was I noticed a weight change (increase) that began around the same time I started the medication. I stopped gaining weight and began losing the 15lbs I packed on almost immediately after stopping this medication.”

Kira · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 20, 2020

“Hi everyone, I tried this drug a few times at the recommended 10 mg and had panic attacks. My pharmacist recommended that I try the children's dose of 5mg and it's been a game-changer! I've had respiratory issues my whole life- dry cough, occasional bronchitis, wheezing, allergic rhinitis, etc. This clears up about 90% of my issues. If you're having psychiatric side effects from it, but you really need it to function, try halving your dose before you give it up entirely.”

Kim · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

“I have been on Singulair for a couple weeks after years of being on a steroid inhaler for exercise induced asthma. It has been working great but I'm gaining weight like crazy. So unfortunate but I will go back to my inhaler.”

jlw · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “1.5 months on Singulair and so far very happy. I have not had asthma flareup since beginning Singulair. This is a big deal for me after 1 year of regular flareups. I rarely need to use my Ventolin, still on Breo daily. I can breathe through my nose which is very new for me :) The earlier reviews scared me, but so far no issues with anxiety. I did have some weird dreams at first, but that has lessened. I'm very glad for the progress so far.”

Kdh September 26, 2019

“My daughter had her life ruined by this drug! Had I known I wouldn’t of gave it to her! It was good for the asthma at night at first, then she started having nightmares, odd behaviour, aggressive & hyper,the asthma nurse said it was a phase & put the dose up,the next day she was suffering with awful headaches and started to hallucinate..wouldn’t go out in public & ran into oncoming traffic because her brain told her to, had panic attacks, admitted to hospital for the headaches I mentioned the drug they ignored it, took her to doctor who prescribed it to her and he said the drug had crossed the brain barrier causing inflammation and prescribed antibiotics..discontinued it..improvement but my girl will never be the same again..she’s now diagnosed with severe anxiety, ocd & spd..under cahlms, mental health, had school counselling..and still to this day no help with withdrawal didn’t go into any detail no doctor nurse or pharmacy will acknowledge that this drug has done this to my girl”

Megs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

“Yes, the anxiety and depression are absolutely side effects of montelukast. The weight gain and the anger too. I think if you are a younger person at all or a woman who already gets mood swings or related side effects from birth control, stay away from montelukast!”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “After I got asthma three months ago I personally thought I was going to be the end of me. My breathing was difficult and was making me depressed. I started singulair 2 months ago. It took about 6 weeks for the medicine to fully work for me but now I feel wonderful. I feel 95 pro cent like before I got ill. No side effects for me. I totally recommend!”

Char · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I started with singulair a few months ago. Before taking it I would be awakened with wheezing, nasal congestion and just feeling like I could not get enough air. It has been a wonder drug, immediately all the asthma symptoms at night were relieved and stopped the early morning coughing. I occasionally have short term wheezing but nothing like previously and so far no side effects.”

MadMax · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

Singulair (montelukast): “I started Singulair some 15-20 years ago. After 12 months developed dry eyes (in the worst way) seeing problems (cataracts) and angina. After stopping taking the drug, the angina went away and so did the dry eyes. Cataracts were removed. Fast forward to 2018. Nothing was helping the Asthma and agreed to go back on Singulair again, after 6 months the same exact problems came back had to stop. Angina and blurring eye site. I am now on Symbicort now for 3 months and the same thing has started to happen. Both meds work very well, but the side effects are the worst”

Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

“I have noticed a lot of bloating and hot flashes on montelukast. I do feel like it helps with the cough I get from allergies and shortness of breathe. On the other hand, I have been gaining unexplained weight and extremely tired!!!”

BL January 17, 2020

“I’ve had mild asthma since childhood. Despite this, I smoked for 25+ years and quit on Aug 11th, 2010. I’m 53 and I’ve tried nearly every nebulizer treatment, daily maintenance and long-term bronchodilator. Singulair/Montelukast was prescribed to me for no reason other than one day my pulmonologist said, ‘it couldn’t hurt’. Boy was he wrong! By the time I realized it was likely causing a bad side effect, I was popping Ativan like candy. I had an overwhelming sense of dread! Like fear, sadness, anxiety and terror all rolled up into one. I write this review because I want everyone to realize the possibility. I have been off of the drug for nearly a month now and I’m back to normal! In my opinion, if you want something to truly control your asthma just use Symbicort! It works better than anything I’ve tried in my lifetime. ”

Za · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

“I wish I never even heard of this tablet my daughter was prescribed this for her asthma symptoms, first she stated with nightmares was afraid to go to bed , was irritated very easily I was putting it down to being tired, I started to notice she was developing tics clearing her throat and a humming sound, I was at a loss I was racking my brain wondering what was happening her , she never displayed anything like it. I thought I would check up the new tablet she was given to check the side affects, to say I was horrified was an understatement (I wish I looked at it sooner ) there they were all of the above I rang the doctor he took her off straight away. She was on the medication for 7 weeks I just wish I connected the dots sooner she has been off the tablets for only 2 days I am just praying to god there’s no lasting effects. Please if you are thinking of giving this to your child research it .”

Ditsyblonde · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I was on singulair for a couple of years and I have depression with tremors/muscle spasms. Since stopping the meds, the pain in my back next to my lungs has returned but depression is getting better. Tremors are still happening after 2 weeks of not being on this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2017

Singulair (montelukast): “I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!”

Moomoo · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 23, 2019

“Worked brilliantly to improve my asthma and my daughters asthma, who was also prescribed it. Unfortunately both my daughter and I, gained an incredible amount of weight whilst on the medication, which is terribly difficult to shed.”

Archenvyinc · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

“I just started taking this medication 4 days ago and I’m just now reading all of this. I don’t know how long you have to take it before these symptoms start, but so far I’ve experienced none of the negative side effects and I have not had to use my rescue inhaler at all.”

stcarolyn · Taken for 10 years or more November 29, 2013

Singulair (montelukast): “Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic. ”

xalatoh December 14, 2019

“I've had severe asthma for about 6 years now, and unfortunately, Singulair did not work for me. I have aspergers and several anxiety disorders, and singulair rapidly exacerbated my issues. Day one was fine, but by days two and three I had weakness in my arms, was unable to focus, and became even more irritated by my triggers than I usually do. When I could sleep, I had unsettling dreams, woke up with a rapid pulse, and, lo and behold, asthmatic chest tightness. I refuse to wait it out to see if it gets better because I cannot let myself spiral back down into depression suicidal thoughts, especially when there are other treatments for asthma available. The doctor who prescribed this didn't mention any side effects, so I did all the research on my own as I normally do. I can't imagine all the people who go through this seemingly unwarranted because doctors wont inform them of side effects. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying singulair; just be cautious.”

Weidi May 30, 2021

“I never had any asthma until I moved into a house with mold (green, black mold). After one year got my first asthma attack in the morning. After three years had more attacks in the morning while I am sleeping. Got a bad cough, woke up and couldn't breath anymore. A couple of weeks later I got a bad bronchitis. Couldn't breath anymore normal, walking steps was almost impossible. I was thinking it goes away. After 2 weeks it was so bad that I went to a doctor. She said OMGoodness how can you breath. Your lungs are full of mucus. She gave me an injection so I can breath normally again. Also gave me Seretide and Montelukast. I recover after I was moving to a new house without mold. After one year in the new house my symptoms almost gone. But I lost my smell and taste, stuffy nose all the time, crazy dreams, fatigue, gain weight almost 30 pounds, Stomach pain, dizziness and numb arms and hands when I ride my Ninja, Thanks to god I found this website. I will immediately stop now Montelukast.”

suffi March 28, 2021

Singulair (montelukast): “On this medication I could finally sleep at night, literally. It helped so much with my asthma and my allergies. I could take deep breaths again. I needed my inhaler much less. But unfortunately like many others.. after three months of taking this (it takes time to build up in your system) I developed severe depression and I was very suicidal. Thankfully, I have a support system that I alerted of this possible side effect, and they were there for me. I went to my doctor and she advised to stop taking it (as I uncontrollably cried in the office) and I felt better within a week of being off it. Don’t let my experience scare you, because I really went back to normal as soon as I got off it. I have yet to find a new medication that makes my asthma/allergy so nonexistent!”