User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Montelukast Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

"My daughter has taken this for about 8 years. She's always seemed to have extreme emotional reactions to the smallest things. I asked her doctor multiple times if it might be the montelukast she takes causing this. Dr. said "no, reported side effects just happen when the child starts taking it. Must just be her personality". I know what is normal and her reactions were extreme. Everything came to a head this past winter when she started having obsessions about eternity. We took her off the montelukast. About 2 weeks later she had a psychotic break. She was crying all day saying she didn't want to exist. It has taken 2 months to get her back to semi-normal. This drug is not good for children!!! Her experience is not unusual!"

WATCH FOR PSYCHIATRIC EFFECTS! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 34 year old who has had asthma for years. Over the past 12 mths my asthma has become increasingly difficult to manage, and was severely impacting my sleep and my day to day life. As a result doctor has been trying some new medication. After just a couple days on 10mg of this medication my asthma had significantly improved. Then the side effects started. I lost hearing in my ear and had loud ringing in my ear. I was sleeping non stop, couldn't concentrate or retain information and was suffering from terrible anxiety which I have never experienced in my life. I felt like all I wanted to do was sleep and never wake up. I have never felt so awful in my life. I stopped the medication that night and immediately felt 100% back to normal."

Fionajames March 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast): "I was started on it after the first acute sudden asthma attack of my life and the inhalers weren't working... which landed me in the emergency room and had some continuing lung spasms in the weeks following this. Once on it, for the first time in many years I was no longer waking up wheezing and with shortness of breath at night. It's been wonderful! Fortunately, I have never had any of the side effects noted by others. I remember feeling early on that singulair may have contributed to weight gain, but it was very hard to tell as I was at that age - late 40s - when this begins to happen naturally. If so, I certainly would have preferred to not to gain weight, but the benefits of having a "normal" life with singulair have been fantastic"

l2t233 (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hysterical crying bouts in my 6 year old son on just the second night of taking it. He woke and came to the side of my bed in almost a dazed state, crying and whimpering, when questioned he couldn't even speak! Didn't realize how awful this drug was untilI did the research. It causes childhood depression, nightmares, hallucinations."

AsthmaMom7788 February 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Soooo I started taking singulair montelukast for about a month now. It's been helping my asthma a lot but I've been having horrible depression. I'm very angry most of the time. Everything and anything anyone says will make me irate. I've been having suicidal thoughts. Honestly I rather cough up a lung than be crazy because of this medicine"

Neednewlungs February 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast): "I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking for only a week or so for severe allergies/asthma. I am going to stop taking it and see how I feel because this medicine gives me a funny taste in my mouth and all food and drinks (except chocolate) taste weird to me."

Billyvannuys (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast): "Asthma all my life (40 yrs old) but wanted to cut down / get off the steroid inhaler (Symbicourt) as it does lead to weight gain / hunger pangs and bloating of face. Offered Singulair - Took one tablet in the daytime - Wrong thing to do !! Completely sedated feeling. Made a call to continue taking the following treatment : 1. Symbicourt in the morning (Symbicourt users will concede it's like drinking 10 Cups of Coffee) 2. Take a half of Singulair before bed (I have the best nights sleep every night due to its mildly sedative effect). Best of both worlds.. I have never had broken sleep for 40 years.. once I started with Singular I sleep like a baby and wake up completely refreshed."

77 terry January 30, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had asthma every since I was born, montelukast helps me breath every day if I don't take it I can't breath but it causes me severe stomach pains, sometimes anxiety, depression, red blotches one my face, I get the sweats and nausea. These are some of the long-term affects I suffer with I would not suggest taking it eternally"

Asthmagirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is poison. I don't recommend. My 5 year old was on this for 3 months when I've notice her behaviour changed, a bubbly happy and active child, had turned into a sad, tearful, tired and unhappy child with every little thing making her angry and depressed. I urge anyone who's taking or is thinking of giving this to their child, as soon as u see the littlest of change stop!! It can really affect you or your child's life. If only I had researched or my child's dr had advised me well instead of brushing my worries under the table, I would have never given this to her."

Fearful mum December 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for a touch of asthma and bad allergic rhinitis. I took one half (5mgs). The next morning I felt nauseous and dizzy. Later on I developed a low grade fever chills and stomach pain got worse. It was the worse nausea I have had since I used to drink alcohol but without any relief.I do have gastritis in my stomach which could have contributed to my pain. Be careful if you have stomach issues!"

GodisloveJohn3:16 November 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast): "Since taking Singulair I have tooth pain, tingling in my face, and a bad metallic taste in my mouth. Plus my anxiety level went up, feel really tired, and very agitated. Stopped taking it last night. Hope these side effects go away soon. This metallic taste is driving me crazy! This is the 2nd time I've tried it. Same side effects and more."

Very ticked off November 5, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken Singulair or the generic Montelukast for almost 2 decades now and have had excellent results on the drug. I almost cannot tell I have asthma while taking the medication, provided I am not exposed to cigarette, wildfire, or any other form of smoke. However, I want to share that I have had the experience now of taking three U.S. generics that I did not have excellent results on. Within about 30 days of starting the generic in each case, I began experiencing asthma symptoms as if I were taking either a placebo or nothing at all. Only one generic that I have found thus far has been as effective for me as the brand name medication, and the generic has unfortunately been discontinued by my pharmacy."

CA10 (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I came to this site to see if anyone else had the same experience with this drug. I had a terrible case of bacterial pneumonia six months ago and have developed asthma as a result of this infection. I live on a farm, am very active, and have suffered from seasonal allergies my entire life, which I managed with antihistamines. My doctor prescribed Singulair to lessen my inhaler use, and at first this drug was absolutely wonderful. Our prescription drug plan would only allow three refills from our local pharmacy, and now I receive a generic refill through the mail. After a few days of taking this generic rx, it was like taking an entirely different drug - the side effects are simply awful! Sadly, I won't be taking this drug anymore."

Mooberry November 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Controls asthma, with little need for other meds. inhaler ect. No ER trips, no more one week out of every month hospitalized. We are sensitive to sulfa and found qualitest brand worked the best and didn't have white powdered silica drying agent all over it. That was in another brand and gave him asthma."

Son, taken 7 years since 2 yo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Both my mom and I got episodes of anxiety after trying this."

Terrible Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 4 year old was prescribed this for asthma and i took him off it after hearing reviews about side effects. My son had a bad temper and was very aggressive but had been on singular since he was 2 so I didn't know if this was a stage he was going through or part of his personality. I took him off the tablets when I heard some bad reviews about suicidal thoughts and noticed very quickly how much happier and calmer my son became - he has not had angry outburst or wanted to hit anymore. I'm so disappointed that my doctors didn't warn me about how bad the side effects could be - I'm so pleased I've taken him of this and i also don't feel it helped his asthma much anyway."

lori 24430 September 30, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 5 year old son experienced terrible nightmares every single night he used this. It was to the point where he was afraid to go to sleep so I would have to stay up with him. Once we stopped the Singulair his nightmares stopped. Never again will my son be taking this medication."

Mom of Kings September 7, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"There is a gap between the known side effects of this drug and doctor education. We placed my child on it unaware that it causes nightmares and violent behavior in children. He did experience both, to the point where he was almost removed from a regular classroom in 3rd grade. I had a nurse friend educate me and we did take him off. The nightmares and violent outbursts have completely gone. It doesn't happen to all users but it did for my child. We switched and are managing with saline spray and Flonase with success. It almost ruined my child's life at the time. I also filed a complaint to the FDA on our experience on this as well."

Virginia 67 August 25, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Singulair saved my life. It's a wonder drug and has set me free. No more er visits, no more gasping for air, no more clutching my rescue inhaler. I have been back to my normal life mowing, lifting, energized and not afraid."

Lady Vet (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Singulair (montelukast): "Been talking this medication so long, don't see where it is helping because I still have the same symptoms over and over."

Lady Byrd (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took singular in grade 2 and had very lucid bad dreams and anger issues. But i did help a bit for my asthma. Now i am in grade 10 and this has stopped my allergy and exersise induced asthma attacks. My main side effect now lucid dreams. I like them but i know a lot of people don't."

Kyle.422 July 20, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been taking Zyrtec D for a few years now for indoor allergies. My allergist told me if it works don't change it. Fast forward, I went for a physical and my dr convinced me to try singulair. I figured why not, paying only a few dollars compared to the price of Zyrtec. I didn't look up any reviews and just started taking it. I noticed I was packing on the pounds like every day so I stopped everything that I had recently changed in my routine. Now that I looked up all the reviews many people have had the same issue even though it is not listed as a side effect. I stopped the medicine a month ago and only took it for 30 days. Still havin trouble losing the weight even with exercising and eating right. Very frustrating! Do not take."

SEY76 July 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So happy I've started montelukast. Prior to starting my asthma was really controlling my life. I always had a wheeze and productive cough, requiring my salbutamol inhaler at least twice a day. At present my symptoms have all but stopped, greatly improving my quality of life and tiredness/exercise tolerance."

Mal72 June 21, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After a bad flu virus I was left with asthma and allergic rhinitis... Trouble at night and early morning. . Coughing wheezing and tight breathing .? Montelucast worked... To test the theory I had to come off montelucast three times.. Everything returned.. Honestly a life saving drug."

Rovobaju (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016