User Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

Also known as: Singulair

Montelukast Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 168 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast

Covid L · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2020

“I started this drug as I developed asthma - like night time cough post covid (ie weeks after I was infectious) it’s been amazing”

As · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2020

“My son has been taking montelukast from age 3 to 7 years. He went onto it for viral induced wheeze/asthma. He also has hayfever. Recently age 7 he has been developing skin rashes/bruises on his shins which is a known side effect of this medication. He regularly would complain his legs hurt even before the rashes started. The Doctor has told us to come off the medication. Its day 3 since he is off the meds now. He has also been an anxious child who lacks confidence. I dont know if the anxiety is related to the medication.”

Spettro · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

“I have reactive airway disease and I really get hit hard with the wheezing during allergy season. I can honestly say that this stuff is fantastic and really works. Although it takes about 4-5 days to kick in to clear up my breathing. The only negative is that it gives me the worst constipation imaginable. So unfortunately I have to stop for now. I read another review where the person had constipation with Singulair but resolved it by taking magnesium. So I'm going to give that a try and see what happens.”

Ali · Taken for 10 years or more March 21, 2020

“I’ve been using montekulast for more than 10 years it has given me new life”

Angie March 9, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “Be careful! After years of being misdiagnosed, I was given Singulair. Within 4 weeks, I no longer needed my nebulizer or rescue inhalers. I gradually became more tired, and extremely agitated. I began hearing voices in my own home and I live alone. It got worse, not better. One night, I was convinced someone was in my home. Every light in the house was on. I still kept seeing someone! Coming from a military background, and secure in owning firearms, I was searching my home with a gun. I was looking for an intruder who was NOT there! That was my final straw. I threw my Singulair in the garbage. I’m still agitated and frustrated. I am going to try over the counter medication deemed safe. I’m not sure how long the agitation and tiredness will last. I pray this will help someone. Please be careful on this medicine. For me, it’s not worth it. In 55 years, I’ve never seen anyone, or heard voices in my home, until Singulair. (5 weeks total taking it)”

Archenvyinc · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

“I just started taking this medication 4 days ago and I’m just now reading all of this. I don’t know how long you have to take it before these symptoms start, but so far I’ve experienced none of the negative side effects and I have not had to use my rescue inhaler at all.”

R · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

“When I first started taking this medication I felt my heart beat faster than normal, felt anxious, and battled constipation. These are all symptoms of low magnesium. I started taking magnesium, and all is well! I believe for some this medication may deplete magnesium levels, but with a daily dose of magnesium the symptoms can be resolved.”

Laz · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “My asthma came back strong at about age 46. I tried everything. I couldn't exist without an inhaler nearby. Couldn't sleep at night for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Woke up constantly always coughing. Additionally always had sinus infections. This drug has been a life-changer for me. It is a miracle. I haven't experienced any noticeable negative side effects. The first couple days I had some dizzy spells but they subsided. I can't say enough good things about how this has helped me. I went to a couple pulmonologist several emergency rooms and urgent cares along with my primary no one ever recommended this finally I found a ra or PA I don't know but she prescribed this for me and I am forever grateful.”

Elaine · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“First time I took it became very jittery and anxious....short of breath at night.....woke up anxious and with panic attacks.....”

LokiiDokii · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

“Went on montelukast for mild asthma. It did seem to help me breathe easier, certainly less wheezing. Experienced very intense, vivid dreams - definitely attribute those to this medication because I guess it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Mood was about the same. The reason I stopped taking this was I noticed a weight change (increase) that began around the same time I started the medication. I stopped gaining weight and began losing the 15lbs I packed on almost immediately after stopping this medication.”

BL January 17, 2020

“I’ve had mild asthma since childhood. Despite this, I smoked for 25+ years and quit on Aug 11th, 2010. I’m 53 and I’ve tried nearly every nebulizer treatment, daily maintenance and long-term bronchodilator. Singulair/Montelukast was prescribed to me for no reason other than one day my pulmonologist said, ‘it couldn’t hurt’. Boy was he wrong! By the time I realized it was likely causing a bad side effect, I was popping Ativan like candy. I had an overwhelming sense of dread! Like fear, sadness, anxiety and terror all rolled up into one. I write this review because I want everyone to realize the possibility. I have been off of the drug for nearly a month now and I’m back to normal! In my opinion, if you want something to truly control your asthma just use Symbicort! It works better than anything I’ve tried in my lifetime. ”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

Singulair (montelukast): “After I got asthma three months ago I personally thought I was going to be the end of me. My breathing was difficult and was making me depressed. I started singulair 2 months ago. It took about 6 weeks for the medicine to fully work for me but now I feel wonderful. I feel 95 pro cent like before I got ill. No side effects for me. I totally recommend!”

xalatoh December 14, 2019

“I've had severe asthma for about 6 years now, and unfortunately, Singulair did not work for me. I have aspergers and several anxiety disorders, and singulair rapidly exacerbated my issues. Day one was fine, but by days two and three I had weakness in my arms, was unable to focus, and became even more irritated by my triggers than I usually do. When I could sleep, I had unsettling dreams, woke up with a rapid pulse, and, lo and behold, asthmatic chest tightness. I refuse to wait it out to see if it gets better because I cannot let myself spiral back down into depression suicidal thoughts, especially when there are other treatments for asthma available. The doctor who prescribed this didn't mention any side effects, so I did all the research on my own as I normally do. I can't imagine all the people who go through this seemingly unwarranted because doctors wont inform them of side effects. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying singulair; just be cautious.”

Human Guinea Pig · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

“I took this medication for two days. The side effects were overwhelming. I got a fever and the flu symptoms within the sort time I was on the Singulair. I was also extremely tired so much so I was unable to work.”

Thomas · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“This drug has made my nose so dry and feel so weird every time I take it. You ever have that awful feeling where you feel like your nose is full of hard boogers, but yet there’s nothing in there? Drives me insane! Additionally, I have had thin bloody and scabby boogers, and my nose just feels like it needs to be filled with chapstick. Not a fan, but it definitely helps with asthma. I was prescribed montelukast with prednisone so hard to tell if the tired fatigue symptoms were from pred. or mont. Haven’t had the depression symptoms I’m reading here though. None whatsoever. I can’t imagine staying on this drug for more than 2 weeks.”

Indy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 24, 2019

“I have been on Singular for six years. I have asthma and allergies that get worse every year. I had episodes where my throat would start closing and I could not breathe. They are nearly gone since I started singular at night. I did gain weight, and I do have night terrors, but I have not experienced any other symptoms.”

Megs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

“Yes, the anxiety and depression are absolutely side effects of montelukast. The weight gain and the anger too. I think if you are a younger person at all or a woman who already gets mood swings or related side effects from birth control, stay away from montelukast!”

Cash · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

“I been taking the medicine about 6 month ago because I had seasonal allergies but side effect including weight gain so I stop taking montelukast today for good. I didn’t have bad side effects, sore throat and makes your skin itchy like you have a rash after medication hopefully I can start losing weight since I’m taking Montelukast anymore!!!”

Asthmatic November 12, 2019

“This genuinely changed my life. 32 and have chronic asthma/allergies/eczema, since birth. I could barely move most days, it was disabling. I was on the top dose of steroids and they weren’t controlling it. I’d be in hospital with attacks and just generally living a horrid life not being able to breath. I can’t tell you how Amazing it is to be able to exercise, go on walks, keep up with people, not wake up numerous times every night needing inhalers and forever worrying, trying to stave off going the doctors/hospital. I just wish I’d been put on them sooner and I might not have wasted my 20s! Still use inhalers but much less, my asthma is still there, but is ‘controlled’ along with proactive behaviour (dust/chemical avoidance etc) something I never thought I’d be able to to do. Also on fexofenidine once a day for anyone needing help to figure out what might help them. No side effects for me - lost weight but that’s because I can now move.”

Asthmatic Soldier · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2019

“I started taking this medicine montelukast May 2019 on Labor Day weekend for asthma. To make long story short it is now October, and I officially got diagnosed with severe allergy induced asthma. I used advair pump daily and take this Montelukast along with strong allergy meds and then more allergy meds. I haven’t been to ER ever since I was in this montelukast. My concern is serious gain weight. I am a soldier and I’m pretty active I weight lift and CrossFit...besides not being able to run when I was having asthma attacks I still do serious weight lifting. I’ve never weighed in past 150lb in my entire adulthood. Now I've lost my abs and now have a 31 inch waistline from 28inch. I was also getting daily muscle spasm in my hands and feet and they are painful (I thought I was dehydrated) Today I quit taking this montelukast...I love that it helped my sudden asthma but I quit smoking”

Ditsyblonde · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I was on singulair for a couple of years and I have depression with tremors/muscle spasms. Since stopping the meds, the pain in my back next to my lungs has returned but depression is getting better. Tremors are still happening after 2 weeks of not being on this.”

Ab · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I would give this med a zero if allowed. It made me have night terrors, depression, and thoughts of harming myself. I do not recommend it and believe it needs a black box warning.”

Alfred October 7, 2019

“Day 4 of taking this and I decided to venture online to see if I’m crazy for feeling the way I feel. I feel as if I can breathe- but it feels difficult to. I have more anxiety - and fast heart rate. Before the medicine I would wake up with a lot of phlegm in my throat- I do wake up without any on this medicine. Yesterday I had bad thoughts about isolating myself from my family. Don’t think I will Continue this medicine. At the end of the day it’s chemicals we are putting into our bodies and nothing natural. Sometimes it would do more bad than good.”

Kdh September 26, 2019

“My daughter had her life ruined by this drug! Had I known I wouldn’t of gave it to her! It was good for the asthma at night at first, then she started having nightmares, odd behaviour, aggressive & hyper,the asthma nurse said it was a phase & put the dose up,the next day she was suffering with awful headaches and started to hallucinate..wouldn’t go out in public & ran into oncoming traffic because her brain told her to, had panic attacks, admitted to hospital for the headaches I mentioned the drug they ignored it, took her to doctor who prescribed it to her and he said the drug had crossed the brain barrier causing inflammation and prescribed antibiotics..discontinued it..improvement but my girl will never be the same again..she’s now diagnosed with severe anxiety, ocd & spd..under cahlms, mental health, had school counselling..and still to this day no help with withdrawal didn’t go into any detail no doctor nurse or pharmacy will acknowledge that this drug has done this to my girl”

GL · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2019

Singulair (montelukast): “I was prescribed this medicine to help with my reaction to my allergy shots. And it does help with that but with a major side effect. I am an anxious mess the entire day. I have been walking around trying to avoid taking a Xanax but after running, lifting weights, deep breathing, meditating, and laying down, I finally had to take it. I think next time I'll just deal with the reaction on my arms.”