User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Montelukast.

Montelukast Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

"When my asthma drug was discontinued, I started taking Montelukast with horrible side effects! For a week or so, the asthma improved and I was very happy, but then I slowly developed some type of breathing problem unrelated to Asthma. My breathing was very heavy, and I had a chest discomfort and could barely walk to the bathroom. Feeling of extreme anxiety and felt like I was suffocating. I tried to do controlled breathing for hyperventilation in case this was the problem. I don't know if the drug caused me to hyperventilate or if it cause such anxiety that I hyperventilated on my own or if it was some other kind of breathing difficulty. I stopped the drug and it took about 3 weeks for symptoms to leave permanently."

Judy5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Montelukast in October 2017 took a night time dose each day for two weeks. After three days with the drug, tiredness and weakness set in. By midafternoon I was ready to sleep. Returning from my medical appointment last week, it was very difficult to stay awake and drive home. Note, I take Ritalin daily and still felt this severe tiredness."

Keep Trying (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WARNING! I have had my asthma Since childhood. This worked wonders with my asthma it almost immediately stopped me from having to use my rescue. I didn't realize it until now but around the time I started taking it was when I started to suffer from severe mood swings and the feeling of unable to control my emotions (I am 24) something would upset me and I would just cry and cry and cry. I noticed a lack of energy not caring about things I once use to and I just wanted to sleep. If I did go out and drink I sometimes would have terrible nights since alcohol is a depressant I am assuming this is why I would have such an over emotional reaction to things that I normally wouldn't cry about. I am immediately stopping this once I made the connection."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast): "Started taking generic Singulair on 7/26/17 by 8/02/17 I started having vivid dreams only at bedtime and every night until today when I called my doctor and got the medication changed. For just under a week every single night I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming. The first night it happened I was cuddled up with my husband sleeping on his chest and I woke myself up snoring when I apologized to my husband for snoring so loud he said I wasn't snoring. I fell asleep again within ten minutes and thought I was still awake and I swore I saw a spider on the sheets by my face on my husband. I jumped up yelling spider woke myself up and freaked out my husband because there was no spider, I had dreamt the whole thing. It only got worse"

Ash109010 August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I give this half a rating. I have chronic asthma and after nearly dying from an asthma attack I was prescribed Singulair along with Symbicort. This medication has absolutely helped me. I've been on it for over 3 months now. It really does help reverse the effects of asthma. Unfortunately it gives me some of the worst anxiety I have ever experienced. I tried taking it in the morning but the entire day I would feel unbelievably anxious. If I take it before bed I have the worst most vivid nightmares. This medication effects everyone differently of course, my only advice is to try it out for yourself."

Kelsisms August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast): "I have been using this medication for 18 years now. It has proven to be very helpful as I have pretty bad asthma. Always come back to singulair after trying something new. Great maintenance drug."

It works (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Montelukast for a few months, at first it worked a treat but then I noticed my asthma symptoms got worse than ever (I constantly needed my blue inhaler) and my allergy symptoms were terrible (extremely stuffy nose all the time)! I stopped taking Montelukast on my own accord and everything has cleared up and my asthma symptoms have disappeared. My Asthma nurse strongly recommends I continue to take Montelukast but I feel I'm better off without it."

Sophie N July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Perscibed this to help with asthma flaring up at night, but now I use it to control my exercise-induced asthma. Take this 2 hours before exercise, it's like magic. Now I walk, jog, even run 2+ miles a day, and for someone who couldn't even walk for an extended time without their asthma flaring, that's a big deal. When I took this near bedtime, and only near bedtime, I experienced weird/vivd dreams. I actually enjoyed it, but the experience may be much more scary for others, beware taking near bedtime if you're concerned. Also, I've been feeling depressed and irritated often. I've had dark thoughts, I'm not sure it's from Montelukast or from outside factors. I've had these feelings before taking it, it's just more often now."

C-Rabbit June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My little son took that POISON for less than 2 weeks two years ago. He is still suffering with bad side effects like tics, anxiety, anger, sensitivity to light, symptoms of autism sometimes, feeling tired, changes of mood and behavior problems. :( It is devastating. I am sorry for all the kids who took it or are taking that drug and I am also sorry for their families."

Little Pink (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my first asthma attack when I was 30 (13 years ago) and each year it got worse to the point where I would have 6 attacks a day and my puffers would not work. I took this drug and my attacks do not exist anymore. I am an avid athlete and I am no longer hindered. Back in February I struggled to get my breathe and I was on my way to the Emergency, that is when I got this pill prescribed to me and it has been a God send! I don't have the sleep issues others have mentioned here, I never really slept the best to start with, but no changes. No crazy dreams. I never been more pleased."

Kurt Homey June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast): "It worked very well for asthma symptoms. Greatly reduced lung inflammation. It takes quite a few weeks to reach max effectiveness. But gave me joint aches, muscle aches and all over malaise. This is listed as an uncommon side effect so it may not affect most."

Lou ann1 June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have asthma and especially exercise-induced asthma, making it hard to run or do other high intensity sports. This works like a CHARM to shut off my asthma, and exercise-induced asthma, and also resolves allergies. However, it does seem to give me crazy dreams, makes me sleep in more than I normally would, and seems to increase my preexisting anxiety (but since I know this anxiety might be due to the medication, I am fairly capable of reminding myself that it's not real, and moving on). I only take it when I really need it, because of these side effects. As an adult I feel I can manage the side effects, but I'm not sure if it would work for kids. This drug has been absolutely life-changing and essential for me in controlling my asthma!"

sunshine girl001 May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking montelukast for about a month for asthma and it hasn't changed a thing!"

Steveso May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had asthma for 40 plus years, which became progressively worse until I was having an asthma attack every day and using at least one salbutamol inhaler every week. My preventative meds were 1000mg beclamethasone and 100mg of salmeterol per day. I had broken sleep every night, waking to use my inhaler. My Doctor prescribed Montelukast and from the first night my asthma was almost entirely gone. Ten years on I very rarely use my reliever, at most three to four times a year!!! It has been a miracle drug to me, the only down side is that I believe my temper is probably worse. Not terrible but a much shorter fuse and more explosive."

DDWDG May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast): "Caused severe anger and self control issues in my son."

Miker777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daughter has taken this for about 8 years. She's always seemed to have extreme emotional reactions to the smallest things. I asked her doctor multiple times if it might be the montelukast she takes causing this. Dr. said "no, reported side effects just happen when the child starts taking it. Must just be her personality". I know what is normal and her reactions were extreme. Everything came to a head this past winter when she started having obsessions about eternity. We took her off the montelukast. About 2 weeks later she had a psychotic break. She was crying all day saying she didn't want to exist. It has taken 2 months to get her back to semi-normal. This drug is not good for children!!! Her experience is not unusual!"

WATCH FOR PSYCHIATRIC EFFECTS! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 34 year old who has had asthma for years. Over the past 12 mths my asthma has become increasingly difficult to manage, and was severely impacting my sleep and my day to day life. As a result doctor has been trying some new medication. After just a couple days on 10mg of this medication my asthma had significantly improved. Then the side effects started. I lost hearing in my ear and had loud ringing in my ear. I was sleeping non stop, couldn't concentrate or retain information and was suffering from terrible anxiety which I have never experienced in my life. I felt like all I wanted to do was sleep and never wake up. I have never felt so awful in my life. I stopped the medication that night and immediately felt 100% back to normal."

Fionajames March 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast): "I was started on it after the first acute sudden asthma attack of my life and the inhalers weren't working... which landed me in the emergency room and had some continuing lung spasms in the weeks following this. Once on it, for the first time in many years I was no longer waking up wheezing and with shortness of breath at night. It's been wonderful! Fortunately, I have never had any of the side effects noted by others. I remember feeling early on that singulair may have contributed to weight gain, but it was very hard to tell as I was at that age - late 40s - when this begins to happen naturally. If so, I certainly would have preferred to not to gain weight, but the benefits of having a "normal" life with singulair have been fantastic"

l2t233 (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hysterical crying bouts in my 6 year old son on just the second night of taking it. He woke and came to the side of my bed in almost a dazed state, crying and whimpering, when questioned he couldn't even speak! Didn't realize how awful this drug was untilI did the research. It causes childhood depression, nightmares, hallucinations."

AsthmaMom7788 February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Soooo I started taking singulair montelukast for about a month now. It's been helping my asthma a lot but I've been having horrible depression. I'm very angry most of the time. Everything and anything anyone says will make me irate. I've been having suicidal thoughts. Honestly I rather cough up a lung than be crazy because of this medicine"

Neednewlungs February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast): "I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking for only a week or so for severe allergies/asthma. I am going to stop taking it and see how I feel because this medicine gives me a funny taste in my mouth and all food and drinks (except chocolate) taste weird to me."

Billyvannuys (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Singulair (montelukast): "Asthma all my life (40 yrs old) but wanted to cut down / get off the steroid inhaler (Symbicourt) as it does lead to weight gain / hunger pangs and bloating of face. Offered Singulair - Took one tablet in the daytime - Wrong thing to do !! Completely sedated feeling. Made a call to continue taking the following treatment : 1. Symbicourt in the morning (Symbicourt users will concede it's like drinking 10 Cups of Coffee) 2. Take a half of Singulair before bed (I have the best nights sleep every night due to its mildly sedative effect). Best of both worlds.. I have never had broken sleep for 40 years.. once I started with Singular I sleep like a baby and wake up completely refreshed."

77 terry January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had asthma every since I was born, montelukast helps me breath every day if I don't take it I can't breath but it causes me severe stomach pains, sometimes anxiety, depression, red blotches one my face, I get the sweats and nausea. These are some of the long-term affects I suffer with I would not suggest taking it eternally"

Asthmagirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is poison. I don't recommend. My 5 year old was on this for 3 months when I've notice her behaviour changed, a bubbly happy and active child, had turned into a sad, tearful, tired and unhappy child with every little thing making her angry and depressed. I urge anyone who's taking or is thinking of giving this to their child, as soon as u see the littlest of change stop!! It can really affect you or your child's life. If only I had researched or my child's dr had advised me well instead of brushing my worries under the table, I would have never given this to her."

Fearful mum December 13, 2016