User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Montelukast Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

"My 5 year old son experienced terrible nightmares every single night he used this. It was to the point where he was afraid to go to sleep so I would have to stay up with him. Once we stopped the Singulair his nightmares stopped. Never again will my son be taking this medication."

Mom of Kings September 7, 2016

"There is a gap between the known side effects of this drug and doctor education. We placed my child on it unaware that it causes nightmares and violent behavior in children. He did experience both, to the point where he was almost removed from a regular classroom in 3rd grade. I had a nurse friend educate me and we did take him off. The nightmares and violent outbursts have completely gone. It doesn't happen to all users but it did for my child. We switched and are managing with saline spray and Flonase with success. It almost ruined my child's life at the time. I also filed a complaint to the FDA on our experience on this as well."

Virginia 67 August 25, 2016

"Singulair saved my life. It's a wonder drug and has set me free. No more er visits, no more gasping for air, no more clutching my rescue inhaler. I have been back to my normal life mowing, lifting, energized and not afraid."

Lady Vet (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "Been talking this medication so long, don't see where it is helping because I still have the same symptoms over and over."

Lady Byrd (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

"I took singular in grade 2 and had very lucid bad dreams and anger issues. But i did help a bit for my asthma. Now i am in grade 10 and this has stopped my allergy and exersise induced asthma attacks. My main side effect now lucid dreams. I like them but i know a lot of people don't."

Kyle.422 July 20, 2016

"I had been taking Zyrtec D for a few years now for indoor allergies. My allergist told me if it works don't change it. Fast forward, I went for a physical and my dr convinced me to try singulair. I figured why not, paying only a few dollars compared to the price of Zyrtec. I didn't look up any reviews and just started taking it. I noticed I was packing on the pounds like every day so I stopped everything that I had recently changed in my routine. Now that I looked up all the reviews many people have had the same issue even though it is not listed as a side effect. I stopped the medicine a month ago and only took it for 30 days. Still havin trouble losing the weight even with exercising and eating right. Very frustrating! Do not take."

SEY76 July 4, 2016

"So happy I've started montelukast. Prior to starting my asthma was really controlling my life. I always had a wheeze and productive cough, requiring my salbutamol inhaler at least twice a day. At present my symptoms have all but stopped, greatly improving my quality of life and tiredness/exercise tolerance."

Mal72 June 21, 2016

"After a bad flu virus I was left with asthma and allergic rhinitis... Trouble at night and early morning. . Coughing wheezing and tight breathing .? Montelucast worked... To test the theory I had to come off montelucast three times.. Everything returned.. Honestly a life saving drug."

Rovobaju (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

"Started taking this medication about two years ago and it has changed my life. Before the montelukast I would use my rescue inhaler(proair) about five times a day even more sometimes. I had that annoying cough that just wouldn't go away, super whizzy, tightness in chest, could barely walk like two flights of stairs without being winded and starting to wheeze it was horrible. I finally started taking the montelukast seriously saved me. I take it everyday. I can finally breathe no annoying cough, no waking up trying to catch my breath, I can finally go for a run and not die and even laugh all I want without reAching for my rescue inhaler! I feel so much better!"

Jzb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

"My daughter is 7 yrs and she had been taken Singular for 4 yrs It worked great. But for the last 3 months my daughter started have extreme anxiety issue over little things to the point where she wasn't herself. Saying things like nobody loves me, I am a bad kid, you should just get rid of me. she was having tantrums, outbursts of disruptive behavior. major mood swings. Crying hysterically at night. I researched and researched in what was causing this behavior and came across side effects of her meds and it was worth a try even though it could alter her health but her mental health I was way more concerned about. By the 5th day of her being off on the meds she was back to her normal loving and positive self.I will never give it to her again"

Angryparent May 21, 2016

"I am now 48 and have been taking Singulair for 2 + years and it is truly a medical drug for allergy induced asthma. I love it! I could not breathe and the phlegm would not move. Now whatever phlegm there is moves very productively and I do not wheeze at night anymore. It saved my life!"

Got allergy asthma at 45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "I have been taking singulair for almost a year now or more. I usually don't dream , so I haven't noticed any unusual nightmares. Seriously , I can't tell if my anxiety is because of singulair or not . I am anxious by nature and this semester is really stressful and can drive anyone crazy ! I usually think about life , death , why we are here? and this kind of stuff . . DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SINGULAIR ? I really want to find an answer for that .I recommend singulair when you don't have any other choice , but if you have one then absolutely choose it. Sing. is bad but effective."

N.A (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

"I have a history of anxiety. I was prescribed Singulair because I have been experiencing the feeling of not getting a satisfying breathe. I've been taking big deep breathes and yawning a lot, with a slightly heavy feeling in my chest.After taking the Singulair two nights, I woke up with a slightly racing heart. This continued to happen every night after, but it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to stop. Then one night, I had had a couple of drinks, then took the medicine a couple hours later and went to bed. I woke up very bundled up, so I was overly hot. My heart was racing like I had been running, the overly hot turned to ice cold, I was covered in sweat, and I ended up vomiting. I will never take it again."

Aataftt April 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long."

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!"

jolene8992 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

"I did not feel any great improvement to asthma. Side effects were numerous to me but the ones that were more to disturb the stomach and abdominal pain and diarrhea,"

F.UK February 7, 2016

"I am 44 and developed an allergy to an unavoidable food. It took a long time to work out what it was that was almost killing me. Constantly on prednisone and other heavy duty meds. Once we worked out the problem we reduced my intake of it as much as possible and started on Montelucast and Nuelin. I have my life back. Some side effects but they mostly pass and since I know what is causing them I am able to rationalise and manage it. The alternative for me was far worse. I would have died."

ManaNZ (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2016

"My doctor was aware of my history of and treatment for anxiety and panic attacks when she prescribed this for me. She directed that it be taken in the evening before bed and I don't know why that is. There have been 2 or 3 times when I forgot to take it, so I took it the next morning. I found that on the following nights, I had very strange dreams, woke to a panic attack, and had difficulty going back to sleep. Since I have put that together, I have made sure to take the medicine at night and I haven't had any more problems."

vineskm September 23, 2015

"i was prescribed this drug for allergies and wheezing. The first couple weeks I noticed the wheezing stopped but I became very agitated and aggressive. Then I started waking up with panic attacks. When I stopped taking it my face swelled up. This medicine also made me very nauseas and gave me horrible stomach cramps. I had to stop it after a month."

Mjd618 September 22, 2015

"This medicine was poison to me. I had it prescribed to me following a mild allergic reaction to a bug bite. I have suffered from mild anxiety in the past, but within a month of taking Singulair, I went from mild to severe. Panic attacks, crying for no reason, racing thoughts, overall feelings of hopelessness. I was at the end of my rope after a particularly bad panic attack when my husband suggested it might be my medication. At first I didn't believe it, because it was an allergy medicine...how bad could it be? Imagine my surprise when I looked it up and saw there are many, many people suffering the exact same side effects as me! I immediately stopped taking the drug, and now 48 hours later I can't even believe how normal I feel. Sure, the allergies are back but I'll be thankful for every sneeze if it means I don't have to suffer the psychological effects of this drug. I would strongly caution anyone considering to take this medicine (especially if it is for a child) to do your research beforehand and make sure someone you love is monitoring your behavior. For me, it was a terrifying drug and I am so glad I listened to my husband."

Xxoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2015

"Only been taking medication for a flare with my asthma. Have taken it for 4 days and am having terrible nightmares and been very shaky. Feel very anxious to."

moodymands (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

Singulair (montelukast): "I took Singulair for a week because I was having trouble with my asthma and allergies. But I also have anxiety and panic attacks often and Singulair made it so much worse!! Every time I took it my heart would race and even the next morning I would still have a racing heart. I ended up having panic attacks every day and going to the ER twice in a week while on this. I will NEVER take this again, it's very bad for people who have anxiety. My asthma is still bad but it wasn't worth trying because of the side effects."

MayAG (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

"Thought this med was my answer! I have severe allergies which I am congested all day and makes it hard to sleep at night . This med cleared me up and helped me sleep at night But by the 2nd refill I became irritable, emotional and so moody ! I snapped at people and started having freaky dreams! I took myself off of it even thought it worked for the allergies it wasn't worth it! When I saw my doc and told her she shook her head and said "that's odd I never heard of it doing that "but what I read here validates my experiences! Still can't find Anything that works the way it it did for my allergies!"

Brennatini July 12, 2015

"I had vernal keratoconjunctivitis (VKC) and recovering from it was a very painful experience for me. I was 10 at that time and I wasn't affected much. I had asthma before, montelukast helped me to beat asthma without nebulization and inhalers. With increase in asthma attacks, the intake of montelukast increased. I started to get anxiety, nightmares about various things and my VKC experience haunted me, tremors occured and my chess skills went down. I hate that drug and discontinued it. The increase in dosage ruined me."

Mouli (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2015

"I just started taking this medicine this month I've taken it before as a child and it seems to be working great for me now but I have been experiencing nightmares for the last week or so which I thought was odd because that's not usual for me but I didn't think it was related to the medicine until I started reading other people's reviews and seeing others have had the same issue. If any one else has experienced the same problem can you please share?"

heathersweets June 23, 2015