User Reviews for Montelukast

Also known as: Singulair

Learn more about Montelukast.

Montelukast Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Montelukast to treat Asthma

"I have had asthma every since I was born, montelukast helps me breath every day if I don't take it I can't breath but it causes me severe stomach pains, sometimes anxiety, depression, red blotches one my face, I get the sweats and nausea. These are some of the long-term affects I suffer with I would not suggest taking it eternally"

Asthmagirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2016

"This medication is poison. I don't recommend. My 5 year old was on this for 3 months when I've notice her behaviour changed, a bubbly happy and active child, had turned into a sad, tearful, tired and unhappy child with every little thing making her angry and depressed. I urge anyone who's taking or is thinking of giving this to their child, as soon as u see the littlest of change stop!! It can really affect you or your child's life. If only I had researched or my child's dr had advised me well instead of brushing my worries under the table, I would have never given this to her."

Fearful mum December 13, 2016

"I was prescribed this for a touch of asthma and bad allergic rhinitis. I took one half (5mgs). The next morning I felt nauseous and dizzy. Later on I developed a low grade fever chills and stomach pain got worse. It was the worse nausea I have had since I used to drink alcohol but without any relief.I do have gastritis in my stomach which could have contributed to my pain. Be careful if you have stomach issues!"

GodisloveJohn3:16 November 28, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "Since taking Singulair I have tooth pain, tingling in my face, and a bad metallic taste in my mouth. Plus my anxiety level went up, feel really tired, and very agitated. Stopped taking it last night. Hope these side effects go away soon. This metallic taste is driving me crazy! This is the 2nd time I've tried it. Same side effects and more."

Very ticked off November 5, 2016

"I have taken Singulair or the generic Montelukast for almost 2 decades now and have had excellent results on the drug. I almost cannot tell I have asthma while taking the medication, provided I am not exposed to cigarette, wildfire, or any other form of smoke. However, I want to share that I have had the experience now of taking three U.S. generics that I did not have excellent results on. Within about 30 days of starting the generic in each case, I began experiencing asthma symptoms as if I were taking either a placebo or nothing at all. Only one generic that I have found thus far has been as effective for me as the brand name medication, and the generic has unfortunately been discontinued by my pharmacy."

CA10 (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2016

"I came to this site to see if anyone else had the same experience with this drug. I had a terrible case of bacterial pneumonia six months ago and have developed asthma as a result of this infection. I live on a farm, am very active, and have suffered from seasonal allergies my entire life, which I managed with antihistamines. My doctor prescribed Singulair to lessen my inhaler use, and at first this drug was absolutely wonderful. Our prescription drug plan would only allow three refills from our local pharmacy, and now I receive a generic refill through the mail. After a few days of taking this generic rx, it was like taking an entirely different drug - the side effects are simply awful! Sadly, I won't be taking this drug anymore."

Mooberry November 1, 2016

"Controls asthma, with little need for other meds. inhaler ect. No ER trips, no more one week out of every month hospitalized. We are sensitive to sulfa and found qualitest brand worked the best and didn't have white powdered silica drying agent all over it. That was in another brand and gave him asthma."

Son, taken 7 years since 2 yo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 18, 2016

"Both my mom and I got episodes of anxiety after trying this."

Terrible Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

"My 4 year old was prescribed this for asthma and i took him off it after hearing reviews about side effects. My son had a bad temper and was very aggressive but had been on singular since he was 2 so I didn't know if this was a stage he was going through or part of his personality. I took him off the tablets when I heard some bad reviews about suicidal thoughts and noticed very quickly how much happier and calmer my son became - he has not had angry outburst or wanted to hit anymore. I'm so disappointed that my doctors didn't warn me about how bad the side effects could be - I'm so pleased I've taken him of this and i also don't feel it helped his asthma much anyway."

lori 24430 September 30, 2016

"My 5 year old son experienced terrible nightmares every single night he used this. It was to the point where he was afraid to go to sleep so I would have to stay up with him. Once we stopped the Singulair his nightmares stopped. Never again will my son be taking this medication."

Mom of Kings September 7, 2016

"There is a gap between the known side effects of this drug and doctor education. We placed my child on it unaware that it causes nightmares and violent behavior in children. He did experience both, to the point where he was almost removed from a regular classroom in 3rd grade. I had a nurse friend educate me and we did take him off. The nightmares and violent outbursts have completely gone. It doesn't happen to all users but it did for my child. We switched and are managing with saline spray and Flonase with success. It almost ruined my child's life at the time. I also filed a complaint to the FDA on our experience on this as well."

Virginia 67 August 25, 2016

"Singulair saved my life. It's a wonder drug and has set me free. No more er visits, no more gasping for air, no more clutching my rescue inhaler. I have been back to my normal life mowing, lifting, energized and not afraid."

Lady Vet (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "Been talking this medication so long, don't see where it is helping because I still have the same symptoms over and over."

Lady Byrd (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

"I took singular in grade 2 and had very lucid bad dreams and anger issues. But i did help a bit for my asthma. Now i am in grade 10 and this has stopped my allergy and exersise induced asthma attacks. My main side effect now lucid dreams. I like them but i know a lot of people don't."

Kyle.422 July 20, 2016

"I had been taking Zyrtec D for a few years now for indoor allergies. My allergist told me if it works don't change it. Fast forward, I went for a physical and my dr convinced me to try singulair. I figured why not, paying only a few dollars compared to the price of Zyrtec. I didn't look up any reviews and just started taking it. I noticed I was packing on the pounds like every day so I stopped everything that I had recently changed in my routine. Now that I looked up all the reviews many people have had the same issue even though it is not listed as a side effect. I stopped the medicine a month ago and only took it for 30 days. Still havin trouble losing the weight even with exercising and eating right. Very frustrating! Do not take."

SEY76 July 4, 2016

"So happy I've started montelukast. Prior to starting my asthma was really controlling my life. I always had a wheeze and productive cough, requiring my salbutamol inhaler at least twice a day. At present my symptoms have all but stopped, greatly improving my quality of life and tiredness/exercise tolerance."

Mal72 June 21, 2016

"After a bad flu virus I was left with asthma and allergic rhinitis... Trouble at night and early morning. . Coughing wheezing and tight breathing .? Montelucast worked... To test the theory I had to come off montelucast three times.. Everything returned.. Honestly a life saving drug."

Rovobaju (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

"Started taking this medication about two years ago and it has changed my life. Before the montelukast I would use my rescue inhaler(proair) about five times a day even more sometimes. I had that annoying cough that just wouldn't go away, super whizzy, tightness in chest, could barely walk like two flights of stairs without being winded and starting to wheeze it was horrible. I finally started taking the montelukast seriously saved me. I take it everyday. I can finally breathe no annoying cough, no waking up trying to catch my breath, I can finally go for a run and not die and even laugh all I want without reAching for my rescue inhaler! I feel so much better!"

Jzb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

"My daughter is 7 yrs and she had been taken Singular for 4 yrs It worked great. But for the last 3 months my daughter started have extreme anxiety issue over little things to the point where she wasn't herself. Saying things like nobody loves me, I am a bad kid, you should just get rid of me. she was having tantrums, outbursts of disruptive behavior. major mood swings. Crying hysterically at night. I researched and researched in what was causing this behavior and came across side effects of her meds and it was worth a try even though it could alter her health but her mental health I was way more concerned about. By the 5th day of her being off on the meds she was back to her normal loving and positive self.I will never give it to her again"

Angryparent May 21, 2016

"I am now 48 and have been taking Singulair for 2 + years and it is truly a medical drug for allergy induced asthma. I love it! I could not breathe and the phlegm would not move. Now whatever phlegm there is moves very productively and I do not wheeze at night anymore. It saved my life!"

Got allergy asthma at 45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "I have been taking singulair for almost a year now or more. I usually don't dream , so I haven't noticed any unusual nightmares. Seriously , I can't tell if my anxiety is because of singulair or not . I am anxious by nature and this semester is really stressful and can drive anyone crazy ! I usually think about life , death , why we are here? and this kind of stuff . . DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SINGULAIR ? I really want to find an answer for that .I recommend singulair when you don't have any other choice , but if you have one then absolutely choose it. Sing. is bad but effective."

N.A (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

"I have a history of anxiety. I was prescribed Singulair because I have been experiencing the feeling of not getting a satisfying breathe. I've been taking big deep breathes and yawning a lot, with a slightly heavy feeling in my chest.After taking the Singulair two nights, I woke up with a slightly racing heart. This continued to happen every night after, but it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to stop. Then one night, I had had a couple of drinks, then took the medicine a couple hours later and went to bed. I woke up very bundled up, so I was overly hot. My heart was racing like I had been running, the overly hot turned to ice cold, I was covered in sweat, and I ended up vomiting. I will never take it again."

Aataftt April 19, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long."

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016

Singulair (montelukast): "OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!"

jolene8992 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

"I did not feel any great improvement to asthma. Side effects were numerous to me but the ones that were more to disturb the stomach and abdominal pain and diarrhea,"

F.UK February 7, 2016