User Reviews for Methenamine

Also known as: Hiprex, Mandelamine, Urex

Learn more about Methenamine.

Prevention of Bladder infection 8 reviews 29 medications

9.8
Urinary Tract Infection 6 reviews 185 medications

Bladder Infection 6 reviews 81 medications

8.2
Summary of Methenamine reviews 20 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Methenamine

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Went on vacation in the Dominican came back with a uti. Not the souvenir I wanted , I believe I got it from the filthy water I swam in. Haiti is on the other side and have no sewer system. If you swim with a tampon in and don't remove it right away it will stew with the the ocean water. I struggled for a year & I ended up taking ceftin for 3 months straight in order to kill the multi drug resistant ecoli that had invaded my bladder cells. It took 3 months to shed the lining of my bladder with the invaded cells. My urologist put me on hiprex for bladder maintenance. It works! I'm a med tech and dip my urine and look at it under the scope constantly, my urine stays acidic and no ecoli would want to take up residency :)"

Tjs mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2016

Hiprex (methenamine) for Bladder Infection: "I can only agree with these ladies. I am 68, had bladder infections all my life. A friend of mine who has MS went on Hyprex because of muscle weakness which caused bladder infections and was recommended Hyprex by her urologist. I mentioned it to my GP who prescribed it for me. In a year I have only had one bladder infection, went on a course of antibiotics and then back on Hyprex. I was also advised by my gynecologist to bathe ( you don't need to fill up the bath ) after intercourse. since I do those 2 things, Hypex and irrigation, no problems. Take 1000mg of vitamin C with Hyprex twice a day. What a relief after all those years of suffering."

well now October 22, 2016

Hiprex (methenamine) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been suffering from recurrent uti's for over 20 years. I have had 5 cystoscopes, bladder biopsies, urine cytology to determine a cause. I've been on prophylaxis antibiotics to no avail and the constant cystitis/uti's were ruining my life. My 3rd urologist gave me Hiprev a number of months ago and it has changed my life. I have not had a uti since!!"

heather64 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2016

Hiprex (methenamine) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Absolutely love this product! I have had re-occuring infections for years, some stints longer than others. Recently I have had UTI's almost constantly. Clears up and comes back. Started taking Hiprex with a Urinary Tract Support vitamins and it kept the infection away for ages! Finished a lot of Hiprex and didn't restock. Low and behold, infection is back! Grabbed another bottle and after just a few hours I am feeling a difference!"

Taylah-Kate June 5, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I have been on this medication for a month and am so happy about this. I was getting UTI's all the time for over 15 years. This medication is a Godsend! I have no pain or infections. My UTI's were so severe I had to go to ER, couldn't wait for my MD. I do drink a lot of water with this medicine too, about a gallon a day. I highly recommend this medicine for chronic UTI sufferers."

sauci December 23, 2015

Hiprex (methenamine) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Around this time last year I got my first UTI which quickly turned into a recurring UTI. I suffered for 6 months, taking an antibiotic (caeflexan) as I was resistant to anyone other. However after a few days of finishing the antibiotic the UTI came back. These UTI's made me very ill not being able to leave bed for at least four days once the antibiotic started, I was consistently vomiting and lost a lot of weight due to all the symptoms above and not eating properly. Having to go to A&E because of the severity of the UTI; the doctor suggested to take Hiprex which would help me regain weight and health due to not being constantly sick. Hiprex has made a huge difference meaning I can now have a normal life without UTI's."

Chloe777 December 7, 2015

Hiprex (methenamine) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Hiprex is amazing! I suffered for years with chronic UTI's and was constantly on antibiotics which made me feel even worse. I tried everything from ural sachets to cranberry tablets and nothing helped until I tried hiprex. As long as you take the recommended 2 tablets each day (one in morning, one at night) it works! The only downside is the taste of the tablets but I found taking it with some food helps mask the taste."

Marls13 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I also had UTI for years starting at 16 at one point I was only drinking water for years. I am now 39 and started methenamine 2 years ago and it has been a MIRACLE.. I was getting infections every 2 months before but now about twice a year. I have tried to stop it and then got an infection. I stared taking it twice daily for a year but now am able to take it once daily and it still works. Other advice would be to use baby wipes after using the bathroom and stop wearing any tight underwear or do not wear any at all, I don't . These tips do help.most people who suffer from UTIs have short urethras which cause bacteria to get into the bladder easier. I would recommend this medication for relief."

Anonymous June 12, 2015

Hiprex (methenamine) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Amazing product! I've suffered from urinary tract infections for years and have been on antibiotic after antibiotic and they always returned. I tried cranberry tablets and various vitamins which gave me very little relief from symptoms. You need to take the recommended two tablets a day for it to work properly. The only downside is the taste of the tablets but I haven't experienced any other negative side effects."

Marlz January 4, 2015

Mandelamine (methenamine) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I've used Mandelamine/Methenamine for 7 years and it works for me. I never get less than a year between infections but I am now 2 years and 9 months without an infection, after previously trying almost every medicine available with mixed results. Sometimes I'd get a break-through infection after 2 months and other medicines would last 5 weeks, being taken every day. I've had no bad effects, taking 1MG at bedtime, but do drink the glass of water with it. I get overnight discomfort if I don't."

Methenamine Man (new name) (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 28, 2014

Hiprex (methenamine) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I have been on this for about two and half months, seems to be working very excited about it."

Mmcvolunteer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2014

Hiprex (methenamine) for Bladder Infection: "As all above have written I too got reoccurring urinary tract infections. Would do everything I was told, take antibiotics, but it just went on and on. My doctor gave me Hiprex bottle of 100, needed a script for the big bottle, told me stay on it for 10 to 20 days then lower to 1 a day for a week or stop if I felt okay. Within 24hrs the urgency that bothered me most was gone, that was a year ago, today I woke after past 48hrs stressed rushing round nothing to drink and have the start of a UTI so I just took my 1st Hiprex and will take it for 10 days and see how I go."

Bet65 August 16, 2013

Hiprex (methenamine) for Bladder Infection: "I first had a urinary tract infection at the age of 16 and suffered with them frequently since that time until around 1 year and a half ago (at age 26) when I was introduced to Hiprex by a friend. I used Hiprex at that time and since then haven't needed to use it again until recently. I'm not too happy about having a UTI right now, but the fact I haven't had one for a year and a half has been so good. I'm just hoping that by taking Hiprex again this time round, it will shorten the duration of the UTI and alleviate the symptoms quickly. I'm hoping to avoid antibiotics, if possible."

Kbat (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 2, 2013

Hiprex (methenamine) for Bladder Infection: "I to have suffered since 12 years old of bladder infections. I am now 45 yrs old. I was so hoping this would be my miracle but unfortunately it is not. I so hoped it would work but am back to bladder infections. It just makes life so difficult. I also suffer from irritable bowel syndrome."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2012

Hiprex (methenamine) for Bladder Infection: "Like the other reviews, I have always suffered from UTIs with exactly the same problem, I will get one, antibiotics will clear it up and then it will return shortly thereafter. I have had strains resistant to antibiotics, been placed on multiple antibiotics, etc. All to no avail in actually ridding me of UTI symptoms. I have spent any amount of money on different medications. When I have UTIs, they drive me insane and I feel absolutely drained. I brought Hiprex as we were on holidays over Easter and I couldn't get to a GP. The chemist recommended it. I have not looked back, the terrible urge to constantly urinate completely disappeared within 2 days. Hiprex has given me my life back."

Anonymous April 26, 2012

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I take the generic methenamine. I have not had any side effects and no new infections in months. After years of various antibiotics and recurrance in a few weeks I am grateful this is still on the market.It was an Infectious disease doc (not my urinary doc) who prescribed it."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

Hiprex (methenamine) for Bladder Infection: "I also have had repetitive urinary tract infections (UTI) for years. Lots of antibiotics, a few weeks clear, and then another urinary tract infection. This was really getting me down as the symptoms were toxic and systemic, and made me quite ill. A urologist suggested Hiprex with vitamin C twice a day. I have not had a UTI since. I feel well for the first time in years and am so appreciative of the advice. That constant, low grade infection on my bladder made me 'old before my time'. Some days I just could not get off my bed. I am a different person now without those repetitive UTI's. I wish I had discovered Hiprex years ago."

Anonymous November 25, 2011

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Hiprex (methenamine) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was suffering from regular severe urinary tract infections, taking multiple courses of antibiotics each time, only to feel relief for a few weeks before getting another infection, despite drinking 2 liters of water per day, taking cranberry supplements, and washing and urinating before and after sex. Since taking Hiprex, I have not had an infection in several months. The only negative is that the tablets taste awful."

StepMc August 24, 2011

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Mandelamine (methenamine) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Thousands of patients with neurogenic dysfunction of lower urinary tract was treated by me with Mandelamine 1g three times daily, for the past 20 years, with very good results and without any side effects. It decreased urinary infection in this group of patients by about 60 - 70 %."

neurourologist November 27, 2008

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Have been using methenamine for prevention of urine infection for 14 years and it works very well. I recommend this drug."

j b August 29, 2008