User Reviews for Methenamine to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Also known as: Hiprex

Methenamine has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection. 78% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Methenamine Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Methenamine

CC · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 10, 2019

Hiprex (methenamine): “Had my first UTI when I had sex for the first time & I would get UTIs every time I had sex to the point I stopped having sex because I didn't want to get UTI. Different GPs & specialist tried many antibiotic methods but none was working as I kept on getting UTIs every few weeks. Few years later GP recommended me to take hiprex once a day for UTI prevention, but I was having diarrheas & mild rashes, so he told me to stop drinking it. A few years later, my specialist told me that I have a benign lesion on my bladder lining (scarring because of all the recurring infections). Devastated, I gave hiprex another shot & somehow I didn't get anymore rashes but just stomach discomfort & mild diarrheas. Now I have been on hiprex on & off for over a year & I haven't had a single UTI since. I only take it once a day before/ immediately after I had sex & continue to take it for a couple of days. So I have days off hiprex & this method works for me. It definitely changed my life after suffering for five years”

heather64 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 18, 2016

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have been suffering from recurrent uti's for over 20 years. I have had 5 cystoscopes, bladder biopsies, urine cytology to determine a cause. I've been on prophylaxis antibiotics to no avail and the constant cystitis/uti's were ruining my life. My 3rd urologist gave me Hiprev a number of months ago and it has changed my life. I have not had a uti since!!”

TD April 20, 2018

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have been prone to uti's most of my life which became worse after childbirth and having a sling. Constantly on antibiotics for years and became resistant to them. Even having hospital stays on the strong IV anti's didn't seem to help. Had all the tests going and found my bladder does not empty completely. So together with having to IC daily I was put on hiprex together with vitamin C. At first I was advised to take hiprex with cranberry which didn't work, but once taking hiprex with vitamin C this has completely changed my life. So very happy with being able to manage my health now. ”

Anne · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2020

Hiprex (methenamine): “I had a stubborn UTI for 6 months. I would take antibiotics and it would clear up then when I finished the course it would be back with a vengeance and was resistant to many antibiotics. Finally a doctor put me on a two week course of strong antibiotics to kill the bacteria off for good. It worked. The doc prescribed Hiprex to take to make sure the bacteria wouldn't take hold again if there was any still lurking around. I took Hiprex for two weeks. Twice a day with 1000 mg of vitamin c and cranberry juice. It made my urine very acidic which burnt my urethra and irritated my bladder but it certainly cleared up any residual bacteria. I now only take a Hiprex dose after sex. That is all I need now to keep the UTI's at bay. Just make sure you drink heaps of water when you take it so your urine doesn't become too concentrated or it may burn you.”

Marlz January 4, 2015

Hiprex (methenamine): “Amazing product! I've suffered from urinary tract infections for years and have been on antibiotic after antibiotic and they always returned. I tried cranberry tablets and various vitamins which gave me very little relief from symptoms. You need to take the recommended two tablets a day for it to work properly. The only downside is the taste of the tablets but I haven't experienced any other negative side effects.”

MomsTaxi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 18, 2019

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have had reoccurring UTI's for 3 years now. In a 12 month time I would have at least 8 or 9. I have been to a few doctors and my recent urologist has put me on Hiprex 8 months ago. They said because of my breast cancer history I couldn't take a few other options. I take Vitamin C twice a day, 2 Hiprex a day, a high dose Cranberry pill (TheraCran - that cost $60.00) and a daily probiotic. I am still getting UTI's every 6 to 8 weeks. It is exhausting. I see these great post how it is working immediately for people. Maybe I am resistant to this medication? does anyone know is there different types or doses of Hiprex? I am on a 6 pill a day pill regimen with no help at all. Something is not right. My next Urology appointment is in November. I will talk to him about alternate prescription. I am exhausted on this medication.”

Rosemary · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

Hiprex (methenamine): “It is working for me after coming off antibiotics I took for for 2 years, but I feel strange, slight moodiness but at least the pain has gone for now , I’ve been taking it for over a week, just half a tablet twice daily I’m more tired than usual and feel slightly apathetic , but apart from that ok”

Tamaresque · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2020

Hiprex (methenamine): “Does anyone else find Hipex is extremely salty? I put the first one in my mouth and had to spit it out again. Tastes vile. I've been salt-free since 1976, so it could be an over-reaction on my part.”

Chloe777 December 7, 2015

Hiprex (methenamine): “Around this time last year I got my first UTI which quickly turned into a recurring UTI. I suffered for 6 months, taking an antibiotic (caeflexan) as I was resistant to anyone other. However after a few days of finishing the antibiotic the UTI came back. These UTI's made me very ill not being able to leave bed for at least four days once the antibiotic started, I was consistently vomiting and lost a lot of weight due to all the symptoms above and not eating properly. Having to go to A&E because of the severity of the UTI; the doctor suggested to take Hiprex which would help me regain weight and health due to not being constantly sick. Hiprex has made a huge difference meaning I can now have a normal life without UTI's.”

Taylah-Kate June 5, 2016

Hiprex (methenamine): “Absolutely love this product! I have had re-occuring infections for years, some stints longer than others. Recently I have had UTI's almost constantly. Clears up and comes back. Started taking Hiprex with a Urinary Tract Support vitamins and it kept the infection away for ages! Finished a lot of Hiprex and didn't restock. Low and behold, infection is back! Grabbed another bottle and after just a few hours I am feeling a difference!”

Marls13 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 13, 2015

Hiprex (methenamine): “Hiprex is amazing! I suffered for years with chronic UTI's and was constantly on antibiotics which made me feel even worse. I tried everything from ural sachets to cranberry tablets and nothing helped until I tried hiprex. As long as you take the recommended 2 tablets each day (one in morning, one at night) it works! The only downside is the taste of the tablets but I found taking it with some food helps mask the taste.”

Lifeless · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2019

Hiprex (methenamine): “I was prescribed Hiprex a week ago to help control painful recurring UTIs. About 3 days after taking it, I started to feel and look exhausted and I’ve had trouble getting and staying asleep at night. I look in the mirror and my eyes are lifeless and I have circles under my eyes. Even my family has commented on how bad I look (Mom said the spark is gone from my eyes.). I’ve also had urine dribbling into my underwear out of nowhere (I’m wearing a pad for the first time in my life), sharp pains in my urethra and increased urination. I’ve also felt extremely depressed and have emotionless since this med (very strange, feelingless mood). There is absolutely a correlation between Hiprex and how I feel and look. I believe this is a dangerous drug. I’m going to call my doctor on Monday to see if I should stop and he’ll probably say yes out of abundance of caution and then I’ll be back to recurring UTIs. Can’t win for losing.”

Princess · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2019

Hiprex (methenamine): “Hiprex with vit C 500mg twice a day for recurrent UTI prevention. I was on Macrodantin 50mg for 4 months and got a UTI recently. My Dr at Northwestern Univ. wanted me to try Hiprex. As soonest I took the first pill of I felt the burning through my stomach and bladder. It gave me diarrhea, painful urination, nausea, back pain, vaginal burning and my bladder started leaking. Tried with Pyridum for 2 days a little better but once the Pyridum stops working this is killing me. I did 6 days and I'm done. Sucks for me!”

Jan1960 August 30, 2017

Hiprex (methenamine): “2 years ago I got my first ever UTI at 55yrs. I had 8 or 9 sets of varying Antibiotics nothing seemed to work. So GP placed me on Cirophlaxin 7 days & at the same time on Hiprex this year and told me to take Cranberry as well. Last 2 M/C/S tests have indicated that there are no significant bacteria detected. But I am worried about long term use and bone health as acidity adds to bone depletion as have been diagnosed with Osteopenia.”

Tasha · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

Hiprex (methenamine): “I had a repetitive UTI for years. But after my doctor prescribed Hiprex it helped a lot. It have a bit salty taste but not a big deal, and for some reason I only can take half of the dose. Overall is a good medicine.”

Han March 11, 2021

Hiprex (methenamine): “Please please PLEASE can UK residents tell me where and how they are obtaining Hiprex?? I used to get mine from Australia as I can’t get it over here in the UK. Please can you ladies tell me? I’m desperate and our so upsetting I can’t obtain it.”

AnnB September 30, 2019

“I started having UTIs about a year ago. I’m 66 and had UTIs only once or twice in my life. I would take the regular medicine they give for UTIs and it would go away. 1-2 weeks after taking antibiotics it would come back. Finally I was put on Methenamine and it worked. I am concerned about taking this medicine on a regular basis but I have no choice. I have read that vitamin C in combination with the methenamine helps it work better so I am going to take it too. I found this site by accident when I was trying to find out why this medicine is so expensive. It’s hard when your on a fixed income, but I have no choice. It works and I’m glad I just wish it didn’t cost so much. $88 dollars a month.”

Anonymous June 12, 2015

“I also had UTI for years starting at 16 at one point I was only drinking water for years. I am now 39 and started methenamine 2 years ago and it has been a MIRACLE.. I was getting infections every 2 months before but now about twice a year. I have tried to stop it and then got an infection. I stared taking it twice daily for a year but now am able to take it once daily and it still works. Other advice would be to use baby wipes after using the bathroom and stop wearing any tight underwear or do not wear any at all, I don't . These tips do help.most people who suffer from UTIs have short urethras which cause bacteria to get into the bladder easier. I would recommend this medication for relief.”

oma · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2021

“I have such difficulty with the limiting dairy. Do you still use dairy? I am not able to keep my urine ph where they recommend it either. How do you all handle these two things? Docs have me taking 1000 mg of vitamin c and d mannose twice a day with it. I have constant stomach upset.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2021

Hiprex (methenamine): “I am trying Hiprex again as I was not successful first time. I check my pH levels and I am free of infection at the moment. Started taking Hiprex as I so want a solution to constant UTI. Within a very short time I am experiencing burning and urge to wee but can’t. I self catherise twice a day as I have an Atonic Bladder. Should I put up with burning hoping it will stop ???”