User Reviews for Macrodantin

Urinary Tract Infection 5.6
Summary of Macrodantin reviews 6.1 36 reviews

Reviews for Macrodantin

aussie93 · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Took 4x 100mg Macrodantin capsules for three days as set by my doctor. Cleared my UTI within two days, however experienced chest pains and shortness of breath on day one. Didn’t realise (until reading this forum) it was linked, so continued to take until I ended up in Emergency Room completely unable to breathe without pain. I’ve been off these tablets for 4 days now and I still can’t take a full breath, have sharp lung pains and am so dizzy. Really disappointed in my doctor for not letting me know the risks first.”

Mise · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I felt the medication would have worked, my symptoms of UTI were easing. Unfortunately, after just 1 day of taking Macrodantin, I had the most awful sudden reaction, cough, uncontrollable shaking, chills, high temperature, body aches, and chest tightness, I didn't have enough energy to shower or leave my bed. I decided to stop and felt I was getting better from the side affects. 24 hours later, I started the medication again, after the 2nd dose, I woke up during the night with the same symptoms. I had pneumonia years ago, these symptoms felt the same. I know, I can never taken this medication again.”

Amc · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “I got prescribed macrodantin before I read these reviews. I’ve been on it now for only 2 days and I’m dying sick. However it cleared up my bladder infection almost immediately! I have awful flu symptoms, exhausted and no appetite at all. I’m cold all the time and just feel terrible overall. I’ve decided to come off the antibiotic because I can’t continue feeling this way, seriously consider what this drug does to your body before taking it!”

Jonathan · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I am 45 and I am currently taking Macrodantin to treat a UTI. Never have I ever felt so bad taking medication.bI initially thought my body was fighting the infection but it wasn’t the case. I am now on taking the medicine (4x100mg/day) I feel very tired, very dizzy, I have diarrhea. My breathing is not great and I feel a bit confused ...definitely not myself. Also pains in my fingers.. I can't wait to finish the treatment tomorrow. On a positive side the infection seems gone as urine is clear.”

Buster · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “After I had a bladder procedure I was put on Macrodantin and lost two weeks of work. I was nauseous, vomiting, drowsy, no appetite, generally miserable.”

Repeat4 · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This year I have struggled with repeat UTIs. I have taken Microdantin each time. The first two times for 3 days and it cleared up. The third time for 7 days it cleared up. This is time I took it 100mg for 5 days. After the 3 day of being off the drug the UTI returned. Now I'm on another 5 day course. I do experience the insomnia and distorted dreams. With the first course I had severe diarrhea. No diarrhea with second course. Can't wait to be rid of this drug and infection.”

Gigi · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This drug needs to be taken off the market. I have taken antibiotics for recurrent UTI’s and never have EVER had such a bad experience. I took this pill before bed, and almost immediately had body aches. The next morning, I woke up feeling like I was hit with a bad flu. It was horrible! Took five days to get out of my system. Avoid this at all costs!”

Julie · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have had 3 experiences with Macrodantin and they have all been bad! I am sure that this drug works very well for those that can tolerate it, but is not for me! I have had recurring kidney infections all of my life and the first time I was put on it I became nauseous, vomited and felt very ill. This doctor told me that he would not be giving that drug to me again. Several years later I had a UTI and my new doctor gave it to me but it was under another name, so I didn’t make the correlation. Again, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting. When I researched the medication, I realized it was a generic name for Macrodantin and stopped taking it immediately. This last time, after having been told by my doctor that it was just a coincidence, I tried again! Again, I had the same symptoms as before! I felt miserable for 2 days. I’m off Macrodantin for life!”

Bossphio · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Poison. I’m having severe side effects after four days. They came on gradually. Ears are very sensitive to noise, constantly ringing. My eyes almost feel like they have mini seizures when I watch something that moves too fast. My hands and feet tingled and got very cold to the touch, even when it was 90 outside. I quit taking it and this morning I still woke up with a new side effect, difficulty breathing. I even asked the doctor for something else when he prescribed this and he insisted this is what I needed. To top it all off it wasn’t helping the UTI at all, my symptoms only got worse! Going to start Keflex today and I pray it works!”

Zara88 · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I'm currently taking these twice a day for UTI. I'm on day 5 and I can't seem to sleep, it takes me hours my chest keeps getting tight when breathing and coughing a lot and constant headache today. I haven't eaten a meal or breakfast since 3 days ago because I have lost my appetite. I don't even feel slightly hungry. I wish these 2 days I have left on these tablets would hurry up cos I want to go sleep and eat a meal. They have got rid of my UTI my urine has also gone bright yellow as well”

A.K. March 24, 2018

For Bladder Infection: “After my bladder operation I get UTI and bladder infection. First my G.P. gave me cipro 500mg twice daily and triprim 300mg once daily. After 1week I stopped cipro because was not any relief and continued just triprim for 2 or 3 weeks, it did not help. After G.P. gave me augmentin for 10 days, it did not help. After G.P. gave me macrodantin 100mg twice daily for 2 weeks and in the end of second week all symptoms disappeared but G.P. said I need to continue to take 100mg once a day for 6 weeks. I finished it 3 weeks ago and until now have not any infection. I think it works very well.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Excelent for UTI. Especially for E. coli. I had problems with Escherichia coli and ciprofloxacin did not solve it in three consecutive treatments. With Macrodantin the bad smell of urine and fever gone at first dose!”

charlie8x · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed this to be taken 4 times daily for 3 days. My UTI symptoms were gone by the first day. I have now finished the course and my UTI is gone. This medication worked great for the infection. I did not experience any serious side effects except some tiredness, 'spaced out' feeling, and on the 2nd day I did feel very 'down' not sure if that was because of the medication. However on the third day I feel fine.”

Elsa White October 8, 2017

For Bladder Infection: “Just caused the worst side effect to my lungs after using this over a year. Where is the GP or specialist that must have warned me against these symptoms or kept me recorded in progress with this medication. Accordingly to my lung specialist this medicine is poison to the human body.”

Leeu October 8, 2017

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Macrodantin was prescribed to me to prevent UTI . I only have to take one when needed. During one month I got four fever attacks with chills, headaches and muscle cramps. Very much like flu symptoms . It goes on for 2 days then I am fine again. Eventually I realised that it might be this medication since I took one on a Friday evening and the next day when I woke up I got this horrible symptoms again I read about the side effects and realised that this might be the cause.”

Jayne59 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2017

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I take it every night to prevent reoccurring UTI's but it gives me gas and diarrhea that is embarrassing when out in public.”

jthsrm · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 5, 2017

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Before starting on this drug I was going through a nasty cycle of UTIs & thrush. I would get a UTI due to intercourse, & after taking antibiotics to treat it I would then develop thrush. The cycle happened about 7 or 8 times over the course of a year, even though my husband & I were taking every preventative measure possible and following drs advice (wash before and after, pee within 5 minutes, drink lots of water etc). I even saw a urologist to try & get to the bottom of it. I couldn't break the cycle until I was prescribed this. I don't take it daily; after we have had intercourse I take one as a preventative. Since starting this medication I have not had one UTI. I have no side effects. It has greatly improved my quality of life.”

Hbsue April 5, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was experiencing back to back UTIs for 8-9 months. After trying some alternative approaches with my doctor, considering surgery, she decided to put me on a daily low dose antibiotic; Macrodantin. It has been over three plus months and it works. I honestly am not comfortable taking a daily antiobiotic but I am far more uncomfortable having a UTI. No side effects for me.”

kristinmcaff35 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2017

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I was prescribed a low dose of it for prevention if UTI's and it gave me diarrhea..which for someone already dealing with IBS I'm on top of constant UTI's...is not helpful at all. Aside from that no side effects. Still stopped taking it though and was prescribed methenamine... hope it works!”

grahameatt October 20, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Got clear urine but that is all. Maybe it just worked for upper UTI. It did nothing to help lower urethra infection from catheter”

MJanine · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I am extremely sensitive to antibiotic side effects so avoid them whenever possible. Usually I take D-Mannose for Urinary or vaginal (yeast) infections but I was out of it and needed something NOW. Doc called in Macrodantin because I cannot tolerate Cipro or most other ABs. 2nd day on pills and so far zero stomach pain or nausea. I have not noticed a reduction in the pain from the UTI yet so hoping by tonight will see relief. BTW: look up D-mannose. I have used it for over 10 yrs and it has stopped the UTI's and yeast infections if I take it as soon as I feel something. It is a sugar so you can take it every day if needed without any complications. It works by detaching the bacteria from the body. Buy the powder. 2 tsp/day”

Martaine May 23, 2015

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “my daughter was put on Macrodantin to prevent kidney infections, and after 2 months was struggling to breath while playing football, tests showed that her pulmonary function had reduced by 25% and she had developed an irregular heart beat. I would think carefully before taking this drug as you may be damaging your lungs to save your kidneys”

sick of this September 23, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection: “After having a lot of urine infections for the past year I am now back on Macrodantin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days makes me feel yak headaches keeps me awake slightly dizzy, feel tired a lot.. Then doctor wants me to take a low dose of it for 6 weeks will keep you posted if it actually works this time. I have my doubts.”

jessicawesternmass · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I understand the good outweigh the bad however, the past few days have been hell. I had honestly one the worst urinary tract infections I have ever had. I need the relief so I am going to continue with the meds. Within 24 hours of taking it, I had horrible diarrhea. I am pale, I keep drinking water. ”

Tyson16 · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2013

For Bladder Infection: “I was given this medicine to take for seven days, four times a day. Within the first day or so of taking it I was suffering with a feeling of acid stomach, nausea, complete lack of appetite.”