User Reviews for Macrodantin

Macrodantin has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings on Drugs.com. 37% of those users who reviewed Macrodantin reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Urinary Tract Infection
5.7
Summary of Macrodantin reviews 5.4 44 reviews

Reviews for Macrodantin

LeeLee · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “No one should be taking this drug. I was prescribed this for kidney infection when I have chronic kidney disease on 22/4/21? I will be alerting doctor who prescribed this that they nearly killed me. Was prescribed dosage of 100 mg 4 times a day, for 7 days. Took it till 27/4/21. Made me feel like I was dying with extreme chills and fever, excruciating back pain, whole body aching, diarrhoea, abdominal aching, gave me asthma and filled my chest with fluid, was very weepy, extreme anxiety, difficulty walking - felt like walking through cement, dizzyness, retained fluid and dropped my kidney function significantly. Was too sick to realise it was the tablets until last day, stopped them and went to another doctor 28/4/21, who wanted me to go to hospital to go on IV etc. Stopped taking the tablets, started a different antibiotic yesterday 28/4/21 and have started to feel better already.”

Hilda · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Scary experience. I started to get very ill few hours after starting the medication, nausea, headache, vomiting and sensitive to light. 2 days later a gp told me I may have flu. I went home, went to bed. So weak, low fever, chills, could not get warm, still vomiting, horrendous headache. A few days feeling same I noticed a rash on my body. Went to emergency department by ambulance. The antibiotic had caused acute liver failure. I had been on day 5 of a 7 day course. Lucky enough the doctor in the hospital put the connection together and medication was stopped. It took a few months to recover from the fatigue especially but I'm lucky to be alive also. Another few days at home alone I would probably have passed out. I was delirious most days so they were blurry and confusing. No more macrodantion for me. Even have an emergency bracelet if I need to travel outside Ireland.”

Anonymous January 30, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I am on macrodantin 5 days now at still the pain is there hoping by day 7 it will be gone”

Joe · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Was prescribed Macrodantin for UTI. Was extremely ill from day one with headache, pressure in left ear, muscle pain, back pain and a general illness feeling. Was originally prescribed 5 days of 100mg twice a day. Day 2/3 I couldn't bare it any longer and contacted Doctor to change it, he insisted I stay on it and changed it to 50mg x 4 times a day. Gave up on day 3/4 as I couldn't take the side effects and low mood any longer. Still not feeling great on day 7 and ear still feels full.”

Mssrowlett March 27, 2008

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Pills are very small and easy to swallow. I have no side effects from this medication. I use it to prevent serious urinary tract and bladder infections. I take it after sexual intercourse and it does prevent UTI's for me. I wouldn't want to live without this medication.”

Amber Li · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Macrodantin was an utter disaster. Felt that I was getting better then suddenly I had a raging upper urinary tract infection. Fever, nausea, vomiting, terrible pain. I had to be hospitalised with IV antibiotics. This drug is dangerous and should not be used as it gives a false sense of security.”

Anonymous December 12, 2009

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “This is a miracle drug. I used to get a bladder infection every 2 weeks, until my doctor prescribed this to me for daily use. I've been taking it everyday for 2 years now and have yet to deal with a single bladder infection. Plus, there are no side effects for me. Being on this pill has made my life a lot more comfortable.”

Amc · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “I got prescribed macrodantin before I read these reviews. I’ve been on it now for only 2 days and I’m dying sick. However it cleared up my bladder infection almost immediately! I have awful flu symptoms, exhausted and no appetite at all. I’m cold all the time and just feel terrible overall. I’ve decided to come off the antibiotic because I can’t continue feeling this way, seriously consider what this drug does to your body before taking it!”

Mise · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I felt the medication would have worked, my symptoms of UTI were easing. Unfortunately, after just 1 day of taking Macrodantin, I had the most awful sudden reaction, cough, uncontrollable shaking, chills, high temperature, body aches, and chest tightness, I didn't have enough energy to shower or leave my bed. I decided to stop and felt I was getting better from the side affects. 24 hours later, I started the medication again, after the 2nd dose, I woke up during the night with the same symptoms. I had pneumonia years ago, these symptoms felt the same. I know, I can never taken this medication again.”

loshko November 30, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed 50mg Macrodantin capsules to be used over the course of 7 days for treatment of a UTI. Let me tell you right now, that this medicine not only doesn't work and that I still have a UTI, after completing the course; the side effects were like nothing I had ever felt before and my infection actually progressed to a kidney infection. First off, I started to feel nauseous while taking this medicine, and thought that it would be alright after a few days. However, by day 3 I was in agony with abdominal pain, chest pain, lower back pain, fever and chills. The nausea was also still there. I decided to call my doctor and they advised that I finish my 7 day course and then call back if symptoms did not stop by day 7. By day 7, I still had a UTI, as well as chest pain, abdominal pain, headaches, nausea, dizziness, fever and chills, all of which only started to happen once I took these antibiotics. This medicine may as well be a placebo.”

jthsrm · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 5, 2017

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Before starting on this drug I was going through a nasty cycle of UTIs & thrush. I would get a UTI due to intercourse, & after taking antibiotics to treat it I would then develop thrush. The cycle happened about 7 or 8 times over the course of a year, even though my husband & I were taking every preventative measure possible and following drs advice (wash before and after, pee within 5 minutes, drink lots of water etc). I even saw a urologist to try & get to the bottom of it. I couldn't break the cycle until I was prescribed this. I don't take it daily; after we have had intercourse I take one as a preventative. Since starting this medication I have not had one UTI. I have no side effects. It has greatly improved my quality of life.”

aussie93 · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Took 4x 100mg Macrodantin capsules for three days as set by my doctor. Cleared my UTI within two days, however experienced chest pains and shortness of breath on day one. Didn’t realise (until reading this forum) it was linked, so continued to take until I ended up in Emergency Room completely unable to breathe without pain. I’ve been off these tablets for 4 days now and I still can’t take a full breath, have sharp lung pains and am so dizzy. Really disappointed in my doctor for not letting me know the risks first.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2012

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I am a paraplegic due to a gunshot to my spine incurred in VietNam. I had taken Macrodantin for over forty years and it helped to greatly curb my infections due to the need for intermittent catheritization three times daily. It caused side effects as I got older. I hadn't realized that this medicine was causing me to be continuously dizzy and generally unwell. I have since stopped taking it.”

Monihrin September 12, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Macrodantin also known as nitrofurantoin is really good medication for UTI. I was struggling with UTI long time. I tried Cefalexin and it didn't work for me. I did try Augmentin as I never had problem with this one and it's really strong but I started to vomit after 2 hours of taking the pill. Macrodantin can be good choice for people with sensitive stomach. I had no side effects.”

Hbsue April 5, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was experiencing back to back UTIs for 8-9 months. After trying some alternative approaches with my doctor, considering surgery, she decided to put me on a daily low dose antibiotic; Macrodantin. It has been over three plus months and it works. I honestly am not comfortable taking a daily antiobiotic but I am far more uncomfortable having a UTI. No side effects for me.”

G · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “Prescribed Macrodantin for a mild bladder infection. 2 doses of 100mg per day. I take them after a meal. The only side effect I have is a pounding headache. I've 1 tablet left to take and I feel like my bladder infection is gone too. Still a dull ache at the bottom of my back but that could be unrelated. The headache is real though.”

Mother of six July 17, 2011

For Bladder Infection: “This medicine changed my life. I used to get urinary tract infections during pregnancy, breastfeeding, after sex all the time, until a doctor prescribed put me on this daily. Never have a urinary tract infection again while on it. No side effects for me, just pain free pee.”

sick of this September 23, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection: “After having a lot of urine infections for the past year I am now back on Macrodantin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days makes me feel yak headaches keeps me awake slightly dizzy, feel tired a lot.. Then doctor wants me to take a low dose of it for 6 weeks will keep you posted if it actually works this time. I have my doubts.”

Martaine May 23, 2015

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “my daughter was put on Macrodantin to prevent kidney infections, and after 2 months was struggling to breath while playing football, tests showed that her pulmonary function had reduced by 25% and she had developed an irregular heart beat. I would think carefully before taking this drug as you may be damaging your lungs to save your kidneys”

Chriswhjay June 29, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Started experiecing pain peeing and went for a quick dip test after blood in urine was strongly apparant. Prescribed Trimethoprim for a week and cleared it up very quickly however it came back. On the sixth day the doctor rang me urgently saying I needed to take these 4 times a day for a week. No side effects at all. Possible constipation however this could be due to not wanting to eat/doing less exercise. No chest pains or anything and very quickly cleared up any remaining symptoms. Thank you Macrodantin!”

MJanine · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I am extremely sensitive to antibiotic side effects so avoid them whenever possible. Usually I take D-Mannose for Urinary or vaginal (yeast) infections but I was out of it and needed something NOW. Doc called in Macrodantin because I cannot tolerate Cipro or most other ABs. 2nd day on pills and so far zero stomach pain or nausea. I have not noticed a reduction in the pain from the UTI yet so hoping by tonight will see relief. BTW: look up D-mannose. I have used it for over 10 yrs and it has stopped the UTI's and yeast infections if I take it as soon as I feel something. It is a sugar so you can take it every day if needed without any complications. It works by detaching the bacteria from the body. Buy the powder. 2 tsp/day”

Gigi · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This drug needs to be taken off the market. I have taken antibiotics for recurrent UTI’s and never have EVER had such a bad experience. I took this pill before bed, and almost immediately had body aches. The next morning, I woke up feeling like I was hit with a bad flu. It was horrible! Took five days to get out of my system. Avoid this at all costs!”

gglu March 3, 2012

For Bladder Infection: “I have been on this medication for 4 days now for ongoing bladder infection, only side effect so far is that I feel very nervy in the mornings until I get enough food into me to counteract it. Also went out last night and had one glass of wine and my whole face, neck and chest went bright red for at least half an hour and felt very hot.”

Marcy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I’ve had recurrent UTI’s all my life and prefer Macrodantin (usually as Macrobid, the slow release form) because it accumulates in the urine and isn’t as likely to cause yeast infections. I have no side effects from it, luckily. Over the past 3 or 4 years, I’ve noticed that 1) I need to stay on the antibiotic for much, much longer - like a month! - or the infection recurs very rapidly, within a couple of weeks; and 2) it no longer turns my urine bright yellow. Also, while I’m taking it I sometimes have symptoms. Taken together, it makes me wonder if what I’m taking is lower strength. Are there generics out there that are not the same as the original?”

esmee94 July 7, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have suffered from recurrent urinary tract infections since I became sexually active. I would get an infection every time I had sex with my boyfriend. I tried countless courses of antibiotics which apparently cleared the infection but when I had sex again i got another one. finally my doctor put me on nitrofurantoin and this cleared the infection immediately. I have still to finish the course. I haven't had sex while taking the last few courses to make sure the infection has cleared fully! ”

Jonathan · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I am 45 and I am currently taking Macrodantin to treat a UTI. Never have I ever felt so bad taking medication.bI initially thought my body was fighting the infection but it wasn’t the case. I am now on taking the medicine (4x100mg/day) I feel very tired, very dizzy, I have diarrhea. My breathing is not great and I feel a bit confused ...definitely not myself. Also pains in my fingers.. I can't wait to finish the treatment tomorrow. On a positive side the infection seems gone as urine is clear.”

jessicawesternmass · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I understand the good outweigh the bad however, the past few days have been hell. I had honestly one the worst urinary tract infections I have ever had. I need the relief so I am going to continue with the meds. Within 24 hours of taking it, I had horrible diarrhea. I am pale, I keep drinking water. ”

Leeu October 8, 2017

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Macrodantin was prescribed to me to prevent UTI . I only have to take one when needed. During one month I got four fever attacks with chills, headaches and muscle cramps. Very much like flu symptoms . It goes on for 2 days then I am fine again. Eventually I realised that it might be this medication since I took one on a Friday evening and the next day when I woke up I got this horrible symptoms again I read about the side effects and realised that this might be the cause.”