User Reviews for Macrodantin

Learn more about Macrodantin.

Macrodantin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Bladder infection.

Reviews for Macrodantin to treat Prevention of Bladder infection

"Macrodantin was prescribed to me to prevent UTI . I only have to take one when needed. During one month I got four fever attacks with chills, headaches and muscle cramps. Very much like flu symptoms . It goes on for 2 days then I am fine again. Eventually I realised that it might be this medication since I took one on a Friday evening and the next day when I woke up I got this horrible symptoms again I read about the side effects and realised that this might be the cause."

Leeu October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take it every night to prevent reoccurring UTI's but it gives me gas and diarrhea that is embarrassing when out in public."

Jayne59 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before starting on this drug I was going through a nasty cycle of UTIs & thrush. I would get a UTI due to intercourse, & after taking antibiotics to treat it I would then develop thrush. The cycle happened about 7 or 8 times over the course of a year, even though my husband & I were taking every preventative measure possible and following drs advice (wash before and after, pee within 5 minutes, drink lots of water etc). I even saw a urologist to try & get to the bottom of it. I couldn't break the cycle until I was prescribed this. I don't take it daily; after we have had intercourse I take one as a preventative. Since starting this medication I have not had one UTI. I have no side effects. It has greatly improved my quality of life."

jthsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed a low dose of it for prevention if UTI's and it gave me diarrhea..which for someone already dealing with IBS I'm on top of constant UTI's...is not helpful at all. Aside from that no side effects. Still stopped taking it though and was prescribed methenamine... hope it works!"

kristinmcaff35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"my daughter was put on Macrodantin to prevent kidney infections, and after 2 months was struggling to breath while playing football, tests showed that her pulmonary function had reduced by 25% and she had developed an irregular heart beat. I would think carefully before taking this drug as you may be damaging your lungs to save your kidneys"

Martaine May 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a paraplegic due to a gunshot to my spine incurred in VietNam. I had taken Macrodantin for over forty years and it helped to greatly curb my infections due to the need for intermittent catheritization three times daily. It caused side effects as I got older. I hadn't realized that this medicine was causing me to be continuously dizzy and generally unwell. I have since stopped taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had 8 urinary tract infections in one year. Since being on one tablet at bedtime I've had none. And no side effects. Amazing!"

Anonymous May 30, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Be prepared for a feeling of being generally unwell, fatigued, with upset stomach."

Anonymous June 3, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a miracle drug. I used to get a bladder infection every 2 weeks, until my doctor prescribed this to me for daily use. I've been taking it everyday for 2 years now and have yet to deal with a single bladder infection. Plus, there are no side effects for me. Being on this pill has made my life a lot more comfortable."

Anonymous December 12, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to get 4-5 urinary tract infections (UTI) every time I had sex, before I started taking Macrodantin. I have been on it for 5 years and I have never had another UTI. They are "the magic pills"."

Anonymous June 9, 2008

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pills are very small and easy to swallow. I have no side effects from this medication. I use it to prevent serious urinary tract and bladder infections. I take it after sexual intercourse and it does prevent UTI's for me. I wouldn't want to live without this medication."

Mssrowlett March 27, 2008