User Reviews for Hiprex

Hiprex has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 49 ratings on Drugs.com. 82% of those users who reviewed Hiprex reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Kidney Infections   9.5
Prevention of Bladder infection   8.6
Bladder Infection   8.3
Urinary Tract Infection   7.8
Summary of Hiprex reviews 8.3 49 reviews

Reviews for Hiprex

Nico January 27, 2021

For Bladder Infection: “I have had urinary tract infection for 18 months. I had all the usual antibiotics but they didn’t work. I researched Hiprex & my GP agreed to let me try it. The only side effect I had was painful urination which has now stopped. If I stop the Hiprex the infection returns I don’t know where this will end. I also take 1 gr of Trimethoprim at night but it is now not available because of Brexit. I live in N ireland & have no problems getting the prescription so don’t understand why it’s not available. I also take Waterfall d manose 2 daily on the advice of my Urologist.”

Tasha · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I had a repetitive UTI for years. But after my doctor prescribed Hiprex it helped a lot. It have a bit salty taste but not a big deal, and for some reason I only can take half of the dose. Overall is a good medicine.”

Maws · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I have tried taking Hiprex a few times but after a few days I get itchy eyes. Does anyone else suffer from this? Just wondering if it could be something else and I am blaming Hiprex wrongly”

Anne · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I had a stubborn UTI for 6 months. I would take antibiotics and it would clear up then when I finished the course it would be back with a vengeance and was resistant to many antibiotics. Finally a doctor put me on a two week course of strong antibiotics to kill the bacteria off for good. It worked. The doc prescribed Hiprex to take to make sure the bacteria wouldn't take hold again if there was any still lurking around. I took Hiprex for two weeks. Twice a day with 1000 mg of vitamin c and cranberry juice. It made my urine very acidic which burnt my urethra and irritated my bladder but it certainly cleared up any residual bacteria. I now only take a Hiprex dose after sex. That is all I need now to keep the UTI's at bay. Just make sure you drink heaps of water when you take it so your urine doesn't become too concentrated or it may burn you.”

Lee · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I have been on Hiprex for 2 years and only had 1 UT as opposed to a UTI every few months. My Dr prescribed it twice a day, morning and night, with a cranberry supplement pill and 500 mg vitamin c tablet. It does taste terrible, but better than the alternative.”

Dawny October 15, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “I suffered uti’s my whole life, I did all the right things to alleviate them and am now resistant to 5 different antibiotics I would get at least 2 infections a month and frequent hospital visits ,my urologist suggested stretching my bladder , ouch! Then I discovered Hiprex , it’s now been 6 months and I and completely free of uti s I sleep better have no irritation and feel like a new woman Highly recommended ❤️”

Tlalli · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “Bought Hiprex over the counter (here in Australia) 2 years ago and only needed to be on it for 4-5 days. Twice since, as soon as there was even a hint of well recognised symptoms, I took a dose twice with a LOT of water and was cured the next morning. Some people will likely need bigger doses, I'm lucky I'm ok with less. By the way, I suffered from frequent UTIs over 10 years ago until my GP organised an IVP (special CT scan of kidneys) and discovered a small kidney stone, the seat of the infections. After sound wave removal (lithotripsy) the UTIs virtually disappeared. Only get the occasional one now.”

Deboddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Retention of urine was a creating a reservoir for bacteria to flourish and was the cause of the repeated UTIs over several years. I had an urethra dilation which has led to better flow and more complete bladder emptying. I also take Hiprex once a day and have not had an infection for nearly a year. Bliss. The tablet itself tastes awful but a small price to pay.”

Bobbie · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “I developed a UTI late on a Friday - back pain, frequency and showing very high leucocytes and blood on a Combur strip test. Too late for a doctor's appointment, but checked on the net to find something to take me through the night, and saw Hiprex. Chemist still open, so bought some to try. Next morning slight leucocytes and blood, no frequency, and feeling heaps better, so didn't visit a GP. Sunday Combur test strip was clear. Will continue until the bottle is finished. VERY grateful for the effect of Hiprex. It's a marvel.”

Tamaresque · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Does anyone else find Hipex is extremely salty? I put the first one in my mouth and had to spit it out again. Tastes vile. I've been salt-free since 1976, so it could be an over-reaction on my part.”

Rachel · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 4, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “After having several reoccurring UTI’S out of the blue 2 years ago non stop and leading to kidney infections. After seeing several doctors for just for antibiotics, one doctor mentioned Hiprex which I was never told about. It’s been one and a half years and UTI free!”

Rosemary · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “It is working for me after coming off antibiotics I took for for 2 years, but I feel strange, slight moodiness but at least the pain has gone for now , I’ve been taking it for over a week, just half a tablet twice daily I’m more tired than usual and feel slightly apathetic , but apart from that ok”

Annie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 21, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “Hiprex has helped me after years of UTI's & antibiotics.”

CC · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 10, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Had my first UTI when I had sex for the first time & I would get UTIs every time I had sex to the point I stopped having sex because I didn't want to get UTI. Different GPs & specialist tried many antibiotic methods but none was working as I kept on getting UTIs every few weeks. Few years later GP recommended me to take hiprex once a day for UTI prevention, but I was having diarrheas & mild rashes, so he told me to stop drinking it. A few years later, my specialist told me that I have a benign lesion on my bladder lining (scarring because of all the recurring infections). Devastated, I gave hiprex another shot & somehow I didn't get anymore rashes but just stomach discomfort & mild diarrheas. Now I have been on hiprex on & off for over a year & I haven't had a single UTI since. I only take it once a day before/ immediately after I had sex & continue to take it for a couple of days. So I have days off hiprex & this method works for me. It definitely changed my life after suffering for five years”

Londoner12 · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “I was prescribed Hiprex for Painful Bladder Syndrome to stop recurring infections. My bladder was already sensitive to certain foods. Within hours of taking this drug I was in agony. Burning to pee, difficulty peeing and terrible back pain. I stopped taking the drug after 2 half doses. A week later my symptoms are still twice as bad as before taking the drug.”

Princess · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Hiprex with vit C 500mg twice a day for recurrent UTI prevention. I was on Macrodantin 50mg for 4 months and got a UTI recently. My Dr at Northwestern Univ. wanted me to try Hiprex. As soonest I took the first pill of I felt the burning through my stomach and bladder. It gave me diarrhea, painful urination, nausea, back pain, vaginal burning and my bladder started leaking. Tried with Pyridum for 2 days a little better but once the Pyridum stops working this is killing me. I did 6 days and I'm done. Sucks for me!”

Mags · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I have been on Hiprex for 3 weeks. I had a bladder infection and after taking the antibiotic Doctor has put me on Hiprex. I find I am tired all the time on this drug. Mild headache. It is working for the bladder.”

Clarkie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “Have been put on Hiprex when couldn’t tolerate antibiotics. Sadly my frequency symptoms and pain has increased with Hiprex. I have heard that Hiprex is one of those drugs that works or doesn’t work for you and even with addition of Vitamin C no improvement.”

MomsTaxi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 18, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have had reoccurring UTI's for 3 years now. In a 12 month time I would have at least 8 or 9. I have been to a few doctors and my recent urologist has put me on Hiprex 8 months ago. They said because of my breast cancer history I couldn't take a few other options. I take Vitamin C twice a day, 2 Hiprex a day, a high dose Cranberry pill (TheraCran - that cost $60.00) and a daily probiotic. I am still getting UTI's every 6 to 8 weeks. It is exhausting. I see these great post how it is working immediately for people. Maybe I am resistant to this medication? does anyone know is there different types or doses of Hiprex? I am on a 6 pill a day pill regimen with no help at all. Something is not right. My next Urology appointment is in November. I will talk to him about alternate prescription. I am exhausted on this medication.”

Lifeless · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed Hiprex a week ago to help control painful recurring UTIs. About 3 days after taking it, I started to feel and look exhausted and I’ve had trouble getting and staying asleep at night. I look in the mirror and my eyes are lifeless and I have circles under my eyes. Even my family has commented on how bad I look (Mom said the spark is gone from my eyes.). I’ve also had urine dribbling into my underwear out of nowhere (I’m wearing a pad for the first time in my life), sharp pains in my urethra and increased urination. I’ve also felt extremely depressed and have emotionless since this med (very strange, feelingless mood). There is absolutely a correlation between Hiprex and how I feel and look. I believe this is a dangerous drug. I’m going to call my doctor on Monday to see if I should stop and he’ll probably say yes out of abundance of caution and then I’ll be back to recurring UTIs. Can’t win for losing.”

Anniel34 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 10, 2019

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I am in London and my GP prescribes Hiprex to prevent constant UTIs The drug has been successful but there has been no supply in my area so I have bought it in Australia at a reputable pharmacy which ships overseas. Hiprex is bought over the counter in Australia which is useful. I paid for it via PayPal which takes your money about the same time as the delivery. In my case after delivery. I bought two bottles of 1g Hiprex. The total cost was £63.21 which included airmail. I paid VAT on the purchase when it arrived in UK. Found them efficient to deal with. I rang the Distributer in UK and they said supplies were being sent out on August 12th Someone told me they are going to switch manufacture to UK I hope so. I hope my experience helps others. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 6, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “I was prescribed hiprex following persistent infection of different Bacteria following having to catheter twice a day for high residuals. I did have a 2 year period where I stayed clear but then ran into a 6 month run of one infection after the other and worse and worse antibiotics. Were thinking of vaccine until I suddenly thought of Hiprex. Has worked for 6 months except now supplies are scarce as German supplier stopped supplying the UK. It would be great if there was a UK manufacturer ( Hello Boots!) because this is a possible answer to slowing down antibiotic resistance in UTI. I am worried about long term formaldehyde in my bladder and hope I it is not slowly pickling my liver, kidneys etc but so far it’s far better than ciprofloxacin”

Joanne · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “I have been on hiprex for a month and a half along with strong antibiotics, still have bacterial infection, but seems to be moving in the right direction. Yes cannot get in UK some problem with MEDA pharmaceuticals (Germany) not supplying Mylan the distributer. Got mine online from Australia where they can also be obtained over the counter. The manufacturer is different 3M & distributed by Inova . I did double check with inova that they were authentic, which they were. Good luck.”

Floss June 8, 2019

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Been on these tablets for just over 2 months my bladder was so inflamed I called these my miracle tablet but now have a job getting them from my pharmacy or anther were I live in uk”

Anya · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2019

For Kidney Infections: “After having several hours of acute pyelonephritis, admissions to hospital and most of the antibiotics relevant to my problem following surgery, I was prescribed Hiprex ( Methenamine hippurate). It has been a resounding success for all my kidney urinary issues. Unfortunately, I am now having dreadful problems getting this product. I live in the UK. Is anyone else having difficulty?”