User Reviews for Trimethoprim

Also known as: Primsol, Proloprim, Trimpex

Learn more about Trimethoprim.

Bladder Infection 4 reviews 82 medications

4.8
Urinary Tract Infection 10 reviews 188 medications

2.3
Summary of Trimethoprim reviews 14 reviews 3.5

Reviews for Trimethoprim

For Urinary Tract Infection: "caused me severe toothache and jaw ache"

j h (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Trimethoprim for urinary tract infection and found that I started spotting and had no clue why this was happening . I felt alarmed and tried to find out the reason but later after I got the urine test reports , I found that I did not have any infection and was taking this antibiotics for no reason so I was asked to discontinue the antibiotic . When I stopped the medicine , the spotting stopped. I wanted to share this information as there is no mention of this side effect for this medicine anywhere."

Anonymous April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was given accidentally a triple dose and I had weird psychological effects, panic and paranoia. I rang poison information and this can happen in too high doses"

Bede Bedeb April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Cleared up the uti BUT 5 weeks after taking the final tablet I'm still having side effects. First noticed that I had a sore throat and stiff neck after taking tablets for 5 days ( was given a seven day course) but did not make connection with taking antibiotics. Continued to take medication. I then developed sensitive scalp, neck pain got worse and on and off headaches plus shoulder/back pain. Felt awful. I was on holiday at the time and it seemed to ease after about a week. Reported to my GP on returning to the UK. Now 5 weeks later, on holidays again, neck pain, sore skin, head pains are all back. Hope this helps others. Not sure if I should seek medical attention or just hope problems go with time."

JB/63 (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "It cleared up my UTI but made me feel extremely nauseated and gave me really bad headaches. I got prescribed it last year though without any side effects so I'm not really sure what that's about."

Kirst678 September 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was taking 200mg over 3 days. On the second day I got horrendous neck ache, ear ache and a sore throat. I stopped taking it but the symptoms carried on. I'm going back to the doctors today for something else."

Craftycarrie (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "Due to allergies trimethoprim is the best choice for a bladder infection for me. Used once before about 4 years ago after infection from catheter after surgery. Works fine for me and I have not had the side effects some experience. So in my case a very good choice."

lady user March 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was getting daily migraines on this drug. Half-way through the course I decided to stop taking my daily dose, after a really awful migraine that I needed to take sumatriptan to clear up. Another doctor had prescribed me another antibiotic for UTI earlier in the year. I had no problems then."

Mimity1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed trimethoprim by GP, I was a little confused as I was 25 week pregnant at the time. The drug can still be prescribed but during testing was observed to cause some problems????? Needless to say, the drug didn't work. I as usual ended up with thrush from the tablets and when I had a check up a week later I still have the infection. Doctor has prescribed Nitrofurantoin. These pose lesser risk to my baby, but are a lower dose. fingers crossed these will work. I live in the uk"

Tantan1991 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I took the 200 mg strength and was given 16 tablets. On the morning in which I took the very last dose I came out in the most horrendous rash I have EVER experienced and have told I must NEVER take that drug again. The rash - over a period of about 3 hours - spread over my entire body, including my face. I was hot and itchy beyond belief. My doctor was absolutely shocked as she said that any reaction usually appears after taking just a few tablets. I'm in U.K. so some questions are not relevant to me."

Nancy Z August 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed 200mg 2x day, and two days in I stopped taking these tablets-that was two days ago and still my entire body is a mass of burning red itchiness- looks like measles and is getting worse."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medication does work rapidly on urinary tract infections but has given me a sore throat."

Jeglen (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After several bouts of urinary tract infections while awaiting prolapse surgery - bladder unable to void efficiently - I experienced extremely severe mouth ulcers on each occasion, lasting three weeks. I was told this was probably because I was "run down". However, most recently, half an hour after taking the first dose of Trimethoprim I experienced intense burning of my lower lip, accompanied by extreme swelling. Recognising this as the start of the severe mouth ulceration I had experienced previously on numerous occasions, I informed my doctor, who immediately prescribed antihistamine and told me to stop taking the Trimethoprim, substituting another antibiotic. "

Extreme pain experienced February 15, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "It cleared my cystitis but I got a rash after 4 days so stopped it."

Jsyjn (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2012