User Reviews for Trimethoprim to treat Bladder Infection

Also known as: Primsol

Trimethoprim has an average rating of 3.3 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Bladder Infection. 18% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 73% reported a negative effect.

Trimethoprim Rating Summary

3.3/10 average rating

Compare all 65 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Trimethoprim

Baylottie · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2019

“Took this antibiotic many times and never put two and two together that the bad tummy and headache, sore throat was the tablets. The last time I took them I had salmon pink skin, Rash, swollen eyes and lips and diarrhoea. Was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. Would suspect if I took again it would be anaphylaxis. Steering well clear of this awful drug.”

Dhfh October 27, 2018

“I had other antibiotics before and other medicines but never had side effects or allergies till I was prescribed trimethoprim. Took 1 tablet and after few hours i started to have a headache not that painful but after the second tablet was really bad I woke up during that night. The next morning the headache was better and I thought I should take another tablet see how I feel, had it with food to be sure I won't be sick. I regretted it after 1 hour or so when suddenly I got nausea ,bad taste in my mouth and the worst throbbing headache ever! Couldn't do anything just stayed in bed. Eventually I started to feel better and stopped taking these. Reading other opinions on here, I think they should ban this antibiotic.”

radish · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“I am currently on day 2 trimethoprim. The 1st day after taking I had slight nausea and felt very drowsy, almost fell asleep in my class but I also walked a lot that day. Took one this morning, fell asleep an hour or so after but no nausea today. I had a really annoying UTI/Bladder infection. I've never taken an antibiotic before, but I really don't want that damn infection coming back because it sucks. Protip: If you have an infection, see a doctor ASAP. Don't wait or use over counter stuff. Thought mine had gone, a week later it was back.”

Alarming December 11, 2020

“I wish I had seen these comments before I took Trimethoprim, which was several years ago now. It affected me really quickly too and within about an hour I also experienced negative effects from this drug. Never again! High anxiety and random thoughts. Had to keep the light on all night as I was so afraid. Extremely fatigued, and depressed too. Senses heightened greatly and at times had sudden surges of energy doing bizarre things. Thought I was having some sort of a breakdown. Took it for a few days and then stopped. It left me feeling awful for several days. Put on another drug which worked well on the infection without such negative side effects.”

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

“Cystitis infection and prescribed these trimethoprim tablets. Took the full course and feel totally exhausted, difficulty sleeping, anxious. Infection still hasn't totally cleared up! Will NEVER take these pills again. SHOCKING”

Maz · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

“I had severe cramp from the neck downwards. I couldn't sit, stand or lie down . It was so severe. I stopped taking it and went to the Doctor. It started easing off but was still there after a day . The Doctor said it wasn't the Alprim and I should continue. So I restarted the medication and it cranked up again in all its severity. It was awful so I stopped and the cramp went away.”

Nancy Z August 9, 2015

“I took the 200 mg strength and was given 16 tablets. On the morning in which I took the very last dose I came out in the most horrendous rash I have EVER experienced and have told I must NEVER take that drug again. The rash - over a period of about 3 hours - spread over my entire body, including my face. I was hot and itchy beyond belief. My doctor was absolutely shocked as she said that any reaction usually appears after taking just a few tablets. I'm in U.K. so some questions are not relevant to me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2015

“I was prescribed 200mg 2x day, and two days in I stopped taking these tablets-that was two days ago and still my entire body is a mass of burning red itchiness- looks like measles and is getting worse.”

Thissucks November 30, 2020

“bladder infection. Almost an hour later I had severe dizziness, hot flashes, extreme anxiety and felt like my blood pressure had dropped drastically. next 3 days I had a horrible headache, nausea, the worst fatigue ever, completely no appetite and severe anxiety. kidneys were very painful, hard to breathe without exacerbating the pain. 4th night I experienced all that and insomnia/strange random thoughts at night that seemed to have a mind of their own Day5 I feel much more like myself but still delicate. I notified my dr and NHs24 about my symptoms and they said to keep taking it! Glad I did because I am feeling much better now. look up "bacteria die-off symptoms" this maybe what we have been experiencing. Harmful endotoxins from the dead bacteria in our systems due to antibiotics. I've read the worse you feel during die-off, the more you needed it. Take a good probiotic at night to ease symptoms.”

lady user March 8, 2016

“Due to allergies trimethoprim is the best choice for a bladder infection for me. Used once before about 4 years ago after infection from catheter after surgery. Works fine for me and I have not had the side effects some experience. So in my case a very good choice.”

Sonny · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2021

“I actually was given this for Prostatitis. First course I was prescribed had no side effects but the next time one 200mg tablet gave me a very painful headache that I could not get rid of using paracetamol, ibuprofen, or cocodamol. Headache lasted for four days. Strange that the first course was fine but not the next.”

Hazy · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2021

“Was prescribed this for a UTI, made me so ill, nausea, terrible constant headache, upset stomach, sweats, chills, I never slept when on them, had weird dreams and made me anxious. I will never take again and would just rather suffer with the UTI.”

Sick puppy · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2021

“Starting taking this antibiotic for 5 days twice a day and bladder infection still here. Antibiotic resistant. Yes there was side effects but nothing too bad. Headache, some nausea but manageable. On a different antibiotic now penicillin so fingers crossed it works.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2021

“I feel really, really terrible. The UTI may be preferable but on the positive side it is very effective for weight loss as I can't bear the sight or smell of food. For the first time in my life I may cut the recommended treatment short. It did get rid of the UTI though.”

Fox · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2021

“Desperate have read comments which leads me to believe trimethoprim might be making me feel so dreadful. I have prostatitis and have just done my 3rd week on this drug having been on ciprofloxin for 10 days prior to the trimethoprim( changed due to possible tendon problems taking Ciprofloxin)-- became constipated within 2 days tried to tough it out with combination of laxatives but just feel dragged down very anxious, morbid thoughts, no energy and now shaky and worried about the persistent pain. I hope this is the cause of my problems others have intimated, so that if I stop it these problems will go away”

Jsyjn · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2012

“It cleared my cystitis but I got a rash after 4 days so stopped it.”

Blackie September 2, 2020

“I've taken trimethoprim for two days for a bladder infection and seem to have every side effect, and I've still got the bladder infection, I would not accept these pills again”

Niki April 11, 2020

“Been taking trimethoprim for a very sore tongue, sweat at night but symptoms easing”

Fifi · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2021

“Never ever will take these again! Panic attacks shaking feeling anxious depressed awful”

Goldencaz · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2021

“Making me feel sick all the time and can't shift the painful headache. Thats after 1 day of taking them.”

Steve November 16, 2020

“Have been on them 5 days, they don't bother me. I was told to take with a meal.”

Freda · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2021

“I had similar experiences as previously reported after 3 tablets, vomiting weakness in legs no appetite and wanting to sleep all the time. Doctor has now changed antibiotic and hopefully works.”

M Owen · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2021

“I am 76 years old and understood that I should not have 7 day dose. I’ve had uncontrollable shaking, nausea and fatigue.”

Haz July 30, 2021

“Second time prescribed this for UTI, I can’t take after 2 days, I felt dreadful last time, nausea, shakes, can’t sleep, I feel just awful, avoid if u can.”

JNL · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2020

“For my cystitis trimethoprim worked. No obvious side effects. However, I am prone to cystitis due to catheterising daily. These seem to do the trick.”