User Reviews for Methenamine to treat Prevention of Bladder infection

Also known as: Hiprex

Methenamine has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Prevention of Bladder infection. 78% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Methenamine Rating Summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Bladder infection.

Reviews for Methenamine

StepMc August 24, 2011

Hiprex (methenamine): “I was suffering from regular severe urinary tract infections, taking multiple courses of antibiotics each time, only to feel relief for a few weeks before getting another infection, despite drinking 2 liters of water per day, taking cranberry supplements, and washing and urinating before and after sex. Since taking Hiprex, I have not had an infection in several months. The only negative is that the tablets taste awful.”

Mags · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have been on Hiprex for 3 weeks. I had a bladder infection and after taking the antibiotic Doctor has put me on Hiprex. I find I am tired all the time on this drug. Mild headache. It is working for the bladder.”

Anniel34 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 10, 2019

Hiprex (methenamine): “I am in London and my GP prescribes Hiprex to prevent constant UTIs The drug has been successful but there has been no supply in my area so I have bought it in Australia at a reputable pharmacy which ships overseas. Hiprex is bought over the counter in Australia which is useful. I paid for it via PayPal which takes your money about the same time as the delivery. In my case after delivery. I bought two bottles of 1g Hiprex. The total cost was £63.21 which included airmail. I paid VAT on the purchase when it arrived in UK. Found them efficient to deal with. I rang the Distributer in UK and they said supplies were being sent out on August 12th Someone told me they are going to switch manufacture to UK I hope so. I hope my experience helps others. ”

neurourologist November 27, 2008

Mandelamine (methenamine): “Thousands of patients with neurogenic dysfunction of lower urinary tract was treated by me with Mandelamine 1g three times daily, for the past 20 years, with very good results and without any side effects. It decreased urinary infection in this group of patients by about 60 - 70 %.”

Deboddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2020

Hiprex (methenamine): “Retention of urine was a creating a reservoir for bacteria to flourish and was the cause of the repeated UTIs over several years. I had an urethra dilation which has led to better flow and more complete bladder emptying. I also take Hiprex once a day and have not had an infection for nearly a year. Bliss. The tablet itself tastes awful but a small price to pay.”

Methenamine Man (new name) · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 28, 2014

Mandelamine (methenamine): “I've used Mandelamine/Methenamine for 7 years and it works for me. I never get less than a year between infections but I am now 2 years and 9 months without an infection, after previously trying almost every medicine available with mixed results. Sometimes I'd get a break-through infection after 2 months and other medicines would last 5 weeks, being taken every day. I've had no bad effects, taking 1MG at bedtime, but do drink the glass of water with it. I get overnight discomfort if I don't.”

Lee · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2020

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have been on Hiprex for 2 years and only had 1 UT as opposed to a UTI every few months. My Dr prescribed it twice a day, morning and night, with a cranberry supplement pill and 500 mg vitamin c tablet. It does taste terrible, but better than the alternative.”

Rikki · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 15, 2021

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have a long term urethral catheter. I used to get frequent UTIs. I seem to be permanently on antibiotics. My neurologist suggested using hiprex. I started using it about nine years ago and since then I have only had two infections. I have found no side-effects and I just need an annual renal function blood test.”

sauci December 23, 2015

“I have been on this medication for a month and am so happy about this. I was getting UTI's all the time for over 15 years. This medication is a Godsend! I have no pain or infections. My UTI's were so severe I had to go to ER, couldn't wait for my MD. I do drink a lot of water with this medicine too, about a gallon a day. I highly recommend this medicine for chronic UTI sufferers.”

Booktechie February 22, 2018

Hiprex (methenamine): “I am Coeliac so vigilant with diet. I have Urine retention (300ml). My specialist thought was contributing to my recurrent Urinary tract infections so started on Hiprex only last week 2xdaily along with Cranberry juice and a probiotic but have had a UTI for 4 weeks. Initially on antibiotics for two weeks prior to starting Hiprex for the UTI I have felt no improvement. I drink lots of water, no coffee, no dairy or gluten. How long it takes before I can expect Hiprex to start to have an effect?”

Tjs mom · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2016

“Went on vacation in the Dominican came back with a uti. Not the souvenir I wanted , I believe I got it from the filthy water I swam in. Haiti is on the other side and have no sewer system. If you swim with a tampon in and don't remove it right away it will stew with the the ocean water. I struggled for a year & I ended up taking ceftin for 3 months straight in order to kill the multi drug resistant ecoli that had invaded my bladder cells. It took 3 months to shed the lining of my bladder with the invaded cells. My urologist put me on hiprex for bladder maintenance. It works! I'm a med tech and dip my urine and look at it under the scope constantly, my urine stays acidic and no ecoli would want to take up residency :)”

Anonymous February 15, 2012

“I take the generic methenamine. I have not had any side effects and no new infections in months. After years of various antibiotics and recurrance in a few weeks I am grateful this is still on the market.It was an Infectious disease doc (not my urinary doc) who prescribed it.”

tickledpink · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2019

“Just wanted to share my experience for others as unfortunately I had bad effects with this drug. I have had UTI infections for many years and had reconstructive surgery on my ureters so am prone to infection. When I started methenamine I began getting painful urination and abdominal pain which I thought was UTI again. I also seemed to start having a lot of swelling in my nose too. I got tested for infection but nothing was present and the pain was awful I couldn't understand it. Decided to come off the pills and my symptoms seemed to improve. I think I had an allergic reaction to them. Although I don't know what I am going to use to stop the infections now I will have to speak to my doctor.”

Martel · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2018

“After 7 UTI'S in 18 months, I went on antibiotics for 3 months, after which I started on Methenamine Hippurate. After about 2.5 months, I developed severe bladder pain and spasms typical of another UTI with significant incontinence. Urinalysis showed no signs of infection, I attributed the symptoms to a side effect of the drug and stopped taking it. While the pain and spasms have subsided, the incontinence has persisted for a month already. In my case, the cost and side effects cancel out any benefits.”

Goldenrose · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 7, 2021

Hiprex (methenamine): “I've been on hiprex for almost 3 years and during that time I've had multiple infections of the urinary tract and bladder. I'm meticulously clean and will not go to strange public dirty toilets. I bought supposedly non perfumed wipes but actually they had perfume and I have now a severe urinary tract infection with a temperature and feeling very ill even though I have hiprex twice a day as prescribed by the professor in a hospital.”

Mmcvolunteer · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2014

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have been on this for about two and half months, seems to be working very excited about it.”

Floss June 8, 2019

Hiprex (methenamine): “Been on these tablets for just over 2 months my bladder was so inflamed I called these my miracle tablet but now have a job getting them from my pharmacy or anther were I live in uk”

Maws · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2020

Hiprex (methenamine): “I have tried taking Hiprex a few times but after a few days I get itchy eyes. Does anyone else suffer from this? Just wondering if it could be something else and I am blaming Hiprex wrongly”

j b August 29, 2008

“Have been using methenamine for prevention of urine infection for 14 years and it works very well. I recommend this drug.”

On it for life · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 21, 2021

Hiprex (methenamine): “Been on it with vitamin c for 18 months. Tried to go off it twice but infection comes straight back within 24 hours. Happy it is there though.”