User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Lymphocytic Colitis

7.2

Ulcerative Colitis, Active

Summary of Mesalamine reviews 7.5 266 reviews

Reviews for Mesalamine

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "This caused pancreatitis and almost killed me."

CL (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 25 yrs ago and they said I had to have a bag which I refused. Then said you have to go on steroids which I also refused , then I gave up smoking ! Wow 4 months later UC kicked in with a vengeance ended up losing a half glass of blood can honestly say the toilet was my best friend for 4 months ! I plucked up the courage to go to the hospital had a colonoscopy was put on Pentasa 4 tabs a day - bearing in mind I hadn't taken any tablets except Paracetamol occasionally, I put on too much weight which I didn't like that ! So it was decided that I cut down to 2 tabs a day, anyway still didn't feel right so I went to the chemist and showed my belly he gave me water tabs said take 1 a day so off I went next morning I couldn't believe it I had a half solid stool ! I thought that's odd ! Now for 2 weeks I'm doing great 1 Pentasa tab and 1 water tablet and my weight is levelling off and my stools are normal ! My experience maybe not good for everybody !"

Zonar May 17, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I have been taking Lialda for years and it works but here’s the thing I also get migraines to a ridiculous degree so I was forced to cut back my dose. So for me at least the very high dose or what they call a therapeutic level is unnecessary. I’m in a maintenance space where I honestly only need it every other day, I usually get the beginnings of a migraine about an hour after I take it but the migraine doesn’t become full blown on the lesser dose but the medicine does it’s job. Looks like my UC became Crohn’s over time because I also have irritation in my mouth and all sorts of skin spots (look like bug bits but aren’t) and interestingly when I have a flare of any kind if I take two single pills for two days in a row it almost always goes away. Thought I’d say it because the higher doses are completely intolerable for me but I don’t really need it like that. I use the co-pay assist card which makes a big difference"

Llgrrrrll May 17, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Almost 54 Y/O female, recently had initial recommended colonoscopy. Diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and prescribed 1.2 gm tablets of Mesalamine. My colitis problem was hardly noticable to me until beginning this medication. I only had slight change in morning BM routine. Now... I'm nauseous, have terrible stomach cramping and pain. As well as diminished appetite. That part not awful since I'd welcome a healthful 15 lb weight loss. I've only been on this medication for 6 days but I'm very concerned about the cramping and stomach pain. If it persists another day or two, I'll be contacting my GI Dr rather than wait for my 5 week follow up. The cost of this medicine for a 30 day supply would be almost $600.00 if I didn't have RX coverage. Still, $127.70 a month is steep."

Concerned (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have been on this drug for twenty days. I took myself off it because I've experienced severe joint and muscle pain. I also have rashes all over including my head. I have lost 11 pounds, which would be nice except it is not fat, it is muscle mass. This drug need more study! I sincerely hope no one else has to suffer as I have. I have been off it for 9 days now, and things have not improved. I hope this is not sometime I have to live with, but it appears it might be."

Ilee (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Initially when I started taking Lialda, it worked. However, I ignored the side effects because the medication was working well. I pushed aside all the warnings in my body until my symptoms became severe. I had loss of hair, muscle weakness, fatigue, anxiety, and the final straw was the rash that overcame my body. The doctor did not believe it was due to the Lialda, because I was on it for 4 years, however, I know my body better then the doctor and chose to stop taking it. After 2 weeks I felt like a new person. I am now on Balsalazide Disodium, and for now it seems to be working fine. Listen to your body despite what the doctor says. Ignoring the warnings signs my body was experiencing was ignorance on my part and will never happen again."

Happy Camper again (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2018

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I've used this drug for several years. It was first prescribed under the name Asacol. Delzicol is exactly the same drug but is delivered in a different capsule. I suspect that before the patent expires April 13, 2020, the greedy pharmaceutical company will find a new method to deliver the same drug thereby killing any chance of a generic becoming available. I'm fortunate to have a Medicare plan that covers this drug with a $45.00 copay. However when I reach the donut hole at the end of the year, the copay is close to $400. But even that beats the price of over $600.00 retail. The good news is that the drug does work for me. I hope others are relieved as well."

Carol (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 3, 2018

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I feel that this medication is of a big help to me. I have had crohns since 2004. I have good days and bad days more good than bad. I can not take any of the new treatments because I have two auto immune disorders. And I feel the risk is to high of bad side effects. I control my crohns with my diet and other otc meds that helps me deal with crohns better. The only problem I have is weight gain. I can not gain weight. Other than that I can live with it!"

Bandido (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2018

Asacol (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Been taking this for 23 years - was doing quite well for a long time 4-6 x 400mg daily. No longer working - had bowel perforation and Chronic pains in large bowel and caecum. I've been on and off steriods for a year so trying azathioprine next week. Bloods returned anaemic low b12 so having injections also low TPMT - heterozygous ( Patients with low activity of TPMT are at a heightened risk of drug-induced bone marrow toxicity due to accumulation of the unmetabolised drug) so can only take low dose of aza. It is important to get checked for this before you start azathioprine. Let’s hope it works !! Sick of being sick and struggling to work."

Ttra (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I had my first flare and diagnosis of Ulcerative colitis 3 years ago at 41 years of age. I was put on Mesalamine and it immediately worked great. Within days the symptoms had receded but in place of those I am one of the few to get the dreaded headaches. I have never had a headache in my life until then. I tried to hang in there until finally having to throw in the towel. It was so bad I couldn’t sleep. At all. I went days without sleeping. I took the max amount of aspirin I could but didn’t matter. Once I started actually hallucinating my wife said No more. I stopped taking it. The headaches stopped immediately and fortunately the flare was also ending at that point. Mesalamine really is a wonder drug if the side effects don’t overshadow the original problem for the individual."

Dasho (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I started out using Asacol until they came out with the generic Mesalamine. Although this medication has been a miracle drug for me and my ulcerative colitis, The cost ,even with my BCBS insurance, is absolutely ridiculous! I am super happy that my colitis is in remission and has been for a while now, all because of this medication but , good gravy, how can they charge so much for medication? I have often thought about coming off the drug all because of the price but they have me. I don't want to go back to diarrhea, and hemorraging. These drug companies are like Vampires, They just suck the life out of you. I work 40 hrs a week , just so I can pay for my prescriptions."

#costreduction February 7, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "It has seemed to help me a lot, but it’s whopping expensive. I lucked out on samples and mfg coupons for half a year, then got ate up by expenses. I like this version much better than the asacol I had years ago, which caused discomfort, and terrible urinary stains from residue. So far with Lialda the drug seems more concentrated or timed release, with no residue in urine."

Mike B TX January 2, 2018

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Previously taking Sulphazalazine from the age of 20 which was awful for me. I was admitted to hospital on several occasions and the dose was combined with high steroid treatment. I become paranoid so the steroids were slowly reduced then stopped. I found out about Asacol from a medical journal (I was a nurse.) I asked if I could start taking it as I'd given up on the Sulphazalazine. Within weeks I had no symptoms. I stayed on it for 2 years. I was lucky as I had 18 years with no problems. In 2004 it came back - but it was mild. I saw my GP who prescribed Pentasa and my gut went wild. I went back onto Asacol and once again, within weeks I was symptom free. I'm on a low dose at 70 years of age. Not bad as I was told I'd not make 25!"

Jeanie UK (taken for 10 years or more) December 31, 2017

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was put on Asacol to start when first diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I was on it for at least three or four months, and things didn't seem to be getting better. It was only when--on vacation--I forgot to take it for a few days and realized that I immediately felt much better. For me, Asacol caused symptoms that were nearly identical to a flare up of ulcerative colitis."

Luebby (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2017

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I was on Asacol for over 10 years taking 2 pills 4 times a day. I switched to Apriso for another 10 years taking 4 pills once a day thanks to the time release. Lately I've been finding it cheaper than it used to be. I'll still have flares about 5 times a year. Sometimes I forget to take them for a few days and it doesn't bother me much. I am searching currently just to change it up since I've been on Apriso for so many years. For the most part, it's been fine though. My insurance counts it as a tier 3 which is a joke and I find it cheaper to order through online coupon sites getting 3 months at a time."

Kendalizor (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2017

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I'm a Filipina 44 years old and was diagnosed of crohn's in 2014. I've been taking pentasa tabs and suppository as well. My first 6 months was four pentasa 500mg tablets twice a day and 1 suppository before bedtime. There was an improvement I had less diarhea and crampness of stomach. I maintained taking pentasa for 2 years and reduced the dosage until I took two 500mg pentasa a day and 1 suppository. Since I feel better. I decided to stop taking med. Now I'm 3 years with out taking any medicine and starting again with diarrhea with a bloody stool. Maybe I need to start back on pentasa again.."

Juvy paulite November 20, 2017

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis in 2008. I’ve been on all kinds of medication including asacol, 6mp, remicade, humira, prednisone, amitriptyline, Lialada and others. I also had surgery to remove my gallbladder due to stones - which I regret now since I don’t think made any difference with the BMs and bleeding. I finally had good results with Lialda. I used to take 4 pills a day but managed to ween down to 2. I also realized that part of the healing process came from Spiritual healing and mental attitude. The stress from a job played a major role in my flare ups. Prayer helped me spiritually which in turn helped me with my mind, which then helped with my gut alongside Lialda and a less stressful job."

QuisUtDeus (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 4, 2017

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Diagnosed with Crohn’s after routine Colonscopy 5/2017 and was started on Lialda. No symptoms of Crohn’s other than the discovery of ulcers during Colonscopy. Now having hair loss at temples and fear it will continue and/or get worse. Plus it’s not covered by my insurance and costs over $230.00 a month. My GI says if I don’t take it I risk getting colon cancer. I was basically told it’s better to be broke and bald than have colon cancer. I think there has to be another answer?"

Urseka November 4, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer seven years ago - Stage 2A. About a year after I had a Colonoscopy and was found to have UC at the resection. Few years later I was also diagnosed with proctitis. When I get a flare 2-3 times a year I immediately have the enemas filled. It’s a two week process but usually after the first four or five days the inflammation starts to go down. I highly recommend it based on my personal experience."

Craig Br October 23, 2017

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "71 y/o male, been on Apriso for 17 months. Was on Asacol, PRN, since 1st dx of "Crohn's colititis" in '03, refined to Crohn's, with stricture @ splenic flexure (caecum) in 2013. In June drove 4000+ miles without butt cushion and have exacerbated hemorrhoids with minor bleeding X3 mos. Saw anesthesia yesterday and ECG looked better than 40 years ago, but worried about H&H (rectal bleeding), liver and kidney enzymes (long terms NSAIDS) and C-reactive protein (indicative of autoimmune antecedents). If labs are OK, will go next week for UGI endo (1st time), and bottom peek, with possible repair of hemis. My Apriso co pay went from $47 to $169/mo.(donut hole) and I wonder if we might switch back to Asacol?"

Boynurse (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been taking 4 x Pentasa 500mg twice daily since I was diagnosed with Crohn's in June this year. I haven't noticed any side effects but my stomach cramping, bloating, gas and just general pain has dramatically decreased so I think it is helping! Yay. My specialist has advised that if my symptoms don't totally subside on this medication I've to try a steroid so hopefully it continues to work for me. Thankfully I'm in Scotland as well so I don't need to pay for the prescription."

May13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "The medicine seems to work well but still bleeding so doc put me on canasa and prednisone seems to work better"

Branum408 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Works fine for me after 1 month using 3 gm daily but side effect was bad . Back and muscle pain. I can't move from pain."

Khaled mousa September 17, 2017

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was on asacol for 10 years with no flare ups and leading a normal life. Then 2 years ago my insurance (BCBS) stopped covering it. My Doctor changed me to Lialda and I have had a nothing short of continuous colitis hell flare up for 2 years straight. 20 diarrheas a day. Stomach cramps, weight loss, explosive uncontrolled bm. My Doctor refused to write a letter of medical necessity to my insurance company so I could get back on asacol. So I was on continuous steroids which caused diabetes. Finally to the point of starting humira which caused e coli, c diff, nor ovirus. Recent hospitalization which I was able to get back on asacol while in the hospital. Now discharged and unable to get asacol approved for use outside of hospitalization. "

sick of ulcerative colitis (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "In June, 2017, I had a colonoscopy because I had had blood in my stool for 5 months which started out with a small amount to a larger amount. I was diagnosed as having colitis in my sigmoid colon. The gastroenterologist prescribed a sulfa drug first which did not help, then flagyl which did not help, then cipro and prednisone which did not help. He put me on Melasamine along with prednidone 4 days ago. I now see no blood at all in my stool. He also put me on a low fiber diet as well. Right now I am so happy that my bleeding is being resolved. It would be wonderful if I can stop taking it when I go back to see him in a week. Time will tell."

Dancerlady (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017