User Reviews for Mesalamine

Ulcerative Colitis
6.8

Summary of Mesalamine reviews 7.3 289 reviews

Reviews for Mesalamine

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Prescribed mesalamine for ulcerative colitis in Jan this year after two weeks had severe tummy cramps, bloody diarrhea, headaches, fevers, nausea and rashes. Was then put on pentasa after a week and symptoms got worse. Went back to specialist and stopped it all 7 days ago and put on a course of steroids until I go back for my 2 scope in three weeks and third in 10 months. Symptoms have subsided but still experiencing severe tummy pains, extremes diarrhea (especially once the steroids wear off, I'm up all night constantly on the toilet 15 + times) and loss of appetite and nausea. I can't find any information on how long this takes to leave my system and I regret ever starting this medication. Its made my life awful for the last 2 months. :("

Michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I am 70. I was diagnosed with Crohns disease three years ago after I had severe rectal bleeding for the third time in three months. I was put on Prednisone for four weeks then 6-MP. A week later I ended up in the ER. It took the hospital six days to find out what was wrong with me but finally diagnosed sepsis. The 6-MP was replaced with Budesonide for a month then I began taking two Pentasa pills four times a day. The Pentasa seems to be working perfectly. I have a few minor side effects but some or all may come from by heart medicines."

Bud (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Hi, I’m 19 and turning 20. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s last March and was taking Pentasa, and it works great, but when I switched to United Healthcare, they wouldn’t cover it. They then prescribed me Apriso. If your Crohn’s is specific to your small intestine and not your colon, please don’t take Apriso. Apriso is meant to target your colon. I went back to the hospital for the third time because of it, so it was decided that I should go back onto Pentasa. It really works for those who aren’t sure about it. It really does. I was in severe pain for months until Pentasa. It’s kept the pain away and let me get back to a normal diet. For those who were on Pentasa and were forced to change medication due to insurance, you can dispute to your insurance that you need it. It took 2 months to do it, for me, but it worked out. My insurance now will cover it. Good luck to those with Crohn’s and/or are having trouble finding medication or can’t take Pentasa, anymore."

Mack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2019

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Sadly I was one of the 8% of users who are allergic to Asacol, and I got very ill before the nurses suggested it may be the drug making my condition worse. Within a week of using Asacol my C-reactive protein (CRP) blood test readings started to rise steadily from an already high score of 16 until at six weeks of still taking the drug they reached 100 , I was using the bathroom 5 times in an hour some nights and dropped weight rapidly. As soon they thought I may have an allergy I was told to stop taking them and went onto a decreasing dosage of steroids instead. By the time I finished the steroids my CRP tests were normal."

Bonny (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2019

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine didn’t even help me find remission. It’s not a good choice in my opinion for anyone with colitis that extends throughout the entire colon and rectum. Might be good for people with sigmoid but not pancolotis"

CureUC February 22, 2019

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "I have been taking this since my diagnoses and it is amazing, the pain has subsided. I watch foods that trigger my IBS along with my medication Mesalamine 800 and this has brought quality life back. Thank you..."

Diana February 13, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Working quite well"

Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I began taking Pentasa in 1986 when it was still an experimental drug. I have taken over 150,000 250mg capsules! My UC has been in remission for over 25 years now. I still take six 250 mg capsules daily. For me, Pentasa has been a miracle drug, as I wasn't too far from death in the early 1980's. I just wish it was available as a generic. I am now on Medicare, and the prescription part D plans don't pay well. It will cost me hundreds per month."

Steve (taken for 10 years or more) January 1, 2019

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "It seems that asacol is not effective when colitis is active because the coating is too tick. I took 2 tablets, after 6 hours on my body , 2 tablet came out in my diapher and the coating it still intact. I hope Manufacturer will make thinner coating because the mathematical computation of delayed release is not match to realty."

Joseph December 29, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I am 24 years old and I have secrete ulcerative colitis. I recently tried apriso for the second time this year and had the same results as the first attempt. Horrible nausea, cramps and insanely urgent diarrhea. Up all night. Couldn’t go to work, couldn’t function. I had better control and management without the drug."

Heywhatsup (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I've been taking Pentasa tablets for about 3 weeks- I take two 500mg tablets, 3 times a day. During the 3rd week, diarrhea set in. So far I've gone through 7 straight days of diarrhea. I'll be seeing my doctor next week."

OVER IT (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "This medicine caused multiple side effects for me. My UC never went into remission being on 2.8 grams a day. Even though the pros may out weigh the cons at the time you are deciding to put Mesalamine in your body- you may have wished you never did"

Kp (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "Apriso worked well to control the inflammation in my stomach and small intestine. However after a few weeks of use, it made my hair fall out. If I liked wigs this would be great. So far nothing else has worked this good."

Trying to get Relief (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I’ve had UC for 30 years now. Life was hell For the first 15 years and I tried everything that is out there including energy healing and experimental cel therapy in Mexico! I was ready to have my colon removed before I finally learned how to get in remission and stay in remission by watching what I eat. I have not been on any medication for 15 years now. I keep a variety of med handy just in case. Twice I had mild flair-ups and both times I took Apriso and within 5 days I went back to remission and I stopped taking the med again. I stay away from milk, spicy food, alcohol when stomach feels sensitive, certain fruits such as strawberry and cantaloupe and greasy food. Pay attention to what you eat and keep a chart. You’ll be able to pinpoint what irritates your body."

F October 1, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Lialda put me in remission for over 12 years. I never experienced any side effects, until a few months ago when Lialda almost killed me. It gave me pancreatitis. My lipase was at 10,000, the normal is 0 to 90. I am extremely lucky."

Sugar (taken for 10 years or more) September 30, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I am 65 years old and have had crohns since I was 19. I have tried different meds but over the last 20 years have been very happy with 2 , 500 mg of Pentasa daily. It keeps me out of hospital and maintains my condition to the point I can live with it. However now that I am on medicare and have lost my drug coverage the cost has gone from $400 for a 3 month supply to $1500 for same 3 month supply. I ask my doctor about trying another drug, it calls for 9, 750 mg pills a day so here goes wish me luck."

Scorch (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: "Was prescribed the Salofalk suppositories first which worked a charm, but then the pharmacy ran out so I’ve been using Pentasa (same dosage) and they don’t seem to be working much at all."

A (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I am unable to purchase my pentasa 500 Mg that I have been taking affordably for over 30 years. The Affordable Health Care Act we have today is very misleading. The price went from $300.00 for 90 day to $1,556.00 for the same. Please Americans are suffering without their meds!!!!"

Wewillsurvive (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I’m so happy with the results of this drug. I don’t have too worry about sitting on the toilet all day. I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) for years until I finally got the right dr. Although I still have the symptoms from time to time, nothing like the years before. I recommend this drug to anyone who suffers from any type of inflammatory bowel disease."

Kimber (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2018

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I have had UC since I was 14 and now 64. Have had numerous flare ups through this period but have been very well looked after by consultants and have regular check ups. Been well for years now but am now experiencing a bout of I think proctitis, mucus and wind and running to toilet. Not due to consultant for a few months. Started taking Asacol foam enema and am obviously intolerant as it does not stay in and causes even more mucus. Need to change enemas. Had this now for a few months, need to change to Prednisolone enema. Or has anyone else found something that works well? A call to the consultant is required I think."

Kat August 9, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "It worked for me initially but then stopped working. I didn't really notice any side effects. Have been on 4 pills daily but will need to be switch to something else. I was getting my medication shipped free to my house through the manufacturer. If you qualify for their program you get approved within 2 days."

Carolina (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Been on this for two months now, absolutely no more. Its terrible. Makes my symptoms worse. I keep being told not to stop taking it, the effects will eventually stop, they don't. Abdominal pain, in areas I've never felt before now not just my lower left side but all the way up under ribs. Terrible swelling, nausea, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, general sick feeling, constipation, bloating, pain every time i eat. I'm stopping this now. It's not helping and even if it did, side effects outweigh the benefit. I was better before starting this rubbish."

Gear July 19, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Used this and it didn't worked well for me"

Joe (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "This caused pancreatitis and almost killed me."

CL (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 25 yrs ago and they said I had to have a bag which I refused. Then said you have to go on steroids which I also refused , then I gave up smoking ! Wow 4 months later UC kicked in with a vengeance ended up losing a half glass of blood can honestly say the toilet was my best friend for 4 months ! I plucked up the courage to go to the hospital had a colonoscopy was put on Pentasa 4 tabs a day - bearing in mind I hadn't taken any tablets except Paracetamol occasionally, I put on too much weight which I didn't like that ! So it was decided that I cut down to 2 tabs a day, anyway still didn't feel right so I went to the chemist and showed my belly he gave me water tabs said take 1 a day so off I went next morning I couldn't believe it I had a half solid stool ! I thought that's odd ! Now for 2 weeks I'm doing great 1 Pentasa tab and 1 water tablet and my weight is levelling off and my stools are normal ! My experience maybe not good for everybody !"

Zonar May 17, 2018