User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Lymphocytic Colitis 3 reviews 30 medications

7.2
Ulcerative Colitis, Active 86 reviews 36 medications

Summary of Mesalamine reviews 245 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Mesalamine

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "The medicine seems to work well but still bleeding so doc put me on canasa and prednisone seems to work better"

Branum408 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Works fine for me after 1 month using 3 gm daily but side effect was bad . Back and muscle pain. I can't move from pain."

Khaled mousa September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was on asacol for 10 years with no flare ups and leading a normal life. Then 2 years ago my insurance (BCBS) stopped covering it. My Doctor changed me to Lialda and I have had a nothing short of continuous colitis hell flare up for 2 years straight. 20 diarrheas a day. Stomach cramps, weight loss, explosive uncontrolled bm. My Doctor refused to write a letter of medical necessity to my insurance company so I could get back on asacol. So I was on continuous steroids which caused diabetes. Finally to the point of starting humira which caused e coli, c diff, nor ovirus. Recent hospitalization which I was able to get back on asacol while in the hospital. Now discharged and unable to get asacol approved for use outside of hospitalization. "

sick of ulcerative colitis (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "In June, 2017, I had a colonoscopy because I had had blood in my stool for 5 months which started out with a small amount to a larger amount. I was diagnosed as having colitis in my sigmoid colon. The gastroenterologist prescribed a sulfa drug first which did not help, then flagyl which did not help, then cipro and prednisone which did not help. He put me on Melasamine along with prednidone 4 days ago. I now see no blood at all in my stool. He also put me on a low fiber diet as well. Right now I am so happy that my bleeding is being resolved. It would be wonderful if I can stop taking it when I go back to see him in a week. Time will tell."

Dancerlady (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Developed UC after I stopped smoking about 10 years ago. Have tried everything including Lialda and Canasa. The only thing that works for me is smoking cigarettes. I've also tried nicotine gum and patch and even E-cigs. Only real cigarettes work. I have to smoke about 5 per day. Symptoms go away after 1-2 weeks. Then I stop smoking. Sometimes the symptoms will come back after a month, sometimes 6. Hate smoking but what's the alternative?"

hotboxdp (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I've been taking this medicine for years now and have had very little flare ups. I feel great on this medicine"

Dude408 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I started taking Apriso after being diagnosed with Crohn's August 2017. My Gastro doctor started me out on the ER capsules in the morning. I didn't really notice many side effects at first. I actually felt better than I've felt in years. Crohn's symptoms are almost completely gone, however, I still have a bad day every now and then. A few weeks in, I'm having horrible pounding headaches, dizzy when I stand from sitting, heart burn, excessive sweating, dry mouth, nausea, food taste metallic, and loss of appetite. I'm afraid if I stop this medication all the Crohn's issue will return. I would rate it a 5 because the med works if you can tolerate the side effects."

C.King (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with indeterminate UC in February 2017. Since then I am taking Asacol 800mg 3 tablets a day. I am not sure, but I think that the flaking rashes on my face are due to the this medicine's side effect. And they hardly ever to disappear. And when they do, I have them back after a few days. I was prescribed different products, none of them worked. Never had this issue before, only after I have started taking Asacol."

AnonymusUK August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Well, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 29... but the doctors thought I had it before then but I was pregnant and it laid dormant for about a year. My intestines burst one year ago and I had to have bowel resection...20 inches and my appendix. After all that, they put me on steroids and pentasa two 500mg, 3 times a day. At first I did ok with it but I'm horrible at taking medicine so I started decreasing the amount that I took. Doctor is not thrilled of course but now that I haven't taken it for a while, I feel no different than when I'm on it. I have diarrhea anytime I eat and occasional gas with pain but that's it... I'm lucky I know and still not sure if I'm making the right choice but meds are $70/mo"

Anonymous July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've been taking Pentasa for several years. I remember vividly having to go to the bathroom several times a day. I have to go just once a day, maybe once every other day since taking Pentasa. My dosage is two 500 mg capsules four times a day. The only side effect I have experienced is passing gas considerably."

Mark Kratovil May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "It has been great. Works a treat."

Pauma May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with UC when I was 20 years old. I am now 64 so 44 years with this annoying condition. Over the years I have been put on various medications but Asacol tablets along with occasional Asacol foam enemas have kept me well. I take 8 x 400mg tablets a day (4 first thing in the morning and 4 last thing at night), no side effects whatsoever. I only need the foam enemas if I get a bit of mucous or that 'colitis feeling' and the enemas work within two or three days. I use the enemas for a week though, to be on the safe side."

JerryDee (taken for 10 years or more) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been taking Pentasa since 10 years and has relieved all cramps and distentions. I'm able to lead my life comfortably now. Only recently I have developed rashes all over and want to know in case any one else facing same way."

Ritz Shar April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apriso (mesalamine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "Every doc said was IBS but a biopsy showed inflammation without being UC....I'm taking apriso and I'm so happy my life change 100%...keep fingers crossed "

Katlady1776 April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with moderate to severe universal colitis on 3/27. I was prescribed lialda and take 4 pills a day as well as 1 uceris. I am not exaggerating when I say the relief was almost instant! Within 3 days I went from urgently using the bathroom 5 - 6 times a day with unbearable abdominal cramps to using the bathroom once a day with no cramps! Only side effects I have noticed so far is slight headaches, occasional trouble sleeping and more frequent urination which I will take over my colitis symptoms any day :) Lialda seriously has changed my life in the short 2 weeks I've been taking it ——————————————————— 19 years old Moderate to severe universal colitis Flare started: May 2016 Diagnosed: March 2017 Remission: April 2017"

Anonymous_9332 April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Ok not enough room on this review to put up my full history. So will be brief. :) So far, tried Asacol and Humira and both did nothing for me. Now I am on Lialda twice a day, 1.2GM tablets. And these are working great. No cramps and limiting me now to about 2 - 3 bowel movements a day. And no bloody stools unlike my past. (10 years diagnosis). I have also changed my diet to a Mediterranean diet with little to no red meat. Mainly chicken and fish for my sources of protein. No deep fried foods. And has worked out great. Also for veggies/greens etc, skip out on any gas producing vegs (broccoli and onions for example). And taking vitamins/iron supplements daily to keep those well maintained."

Doing Better From TN (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I'very been on Lialda since diagnoses nearly 10 years ago. I started with 2xday and progressed to 4x day about 4 years ago. A month ago I had a bad flare and am not on 6x day for a couple days + casana (sp?) Which is essentially the same drug only in suppository. It's already working to clear up my flare, but I'm experiencing acne and jumbled thoughts. Can't wait to drop the suppository once this is under control, hopefully I'm 1-2 wks. I don't know how "Iowa" cured themselves with diet -- I tried that and Lialda seriously changed my life."

AGinchicago (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have mild UC and I was prescribed both pentasa and salofalk enema. I found that those 2 taken together works really great and my symptoms disappeared after 5 days. Taking pentasa (pill form) by itself did not helped at all until I started the enema after a week."

Uncle mustafa March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I take Pentasa much in the way people take Rolaids. As soon as I feel like my intestines are reacting poorly I will take 2 pentasa.500mg and my stomach calms down within 10 minutes. I have no idea why it works for me, a Crohns patient for 10 years in this way. I do not ever take it as a preventative medicine. As a topical way to calm intestine discomfort, it just seems to be miraculous."

JMacBerPI (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was prescribed this med for mild UC. I discussed concerns with my doctor on starting a medication while nursing and without trying natural approach to curing the symptoms first. He share some patience had success using turmeric supplement to address inflammation of the sigmoid colon (lower intestine and bowel). After 2 weeks on the Turmeric my symptoms of urgency, cramping and excessive frequency to 'go' subsided. After 3 weeks, I've been having normal bowel movements and no cramping. I am happy with the progress I've made on this natural remedy."

Natural_first (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After years of being told I had IBS-D and it was all in my head, I was finally diagnosed as having UC. I was so sick at that point I was considering going on disability. After two weeks of Lialda, I started to improve and soon could live somewhat of a normal life, although with a very restricted diet. A routine blood test 11 months later showed that my kidneys had been damaged by this anti-inflammatory. I got off Lialda immediately but four months later my creatinine level is still too high. I never had any kidney trouble before taking Lialda."

Lorelei56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: "When I first started taking it it didn't have any effect except minor stomach cramping which I wasn't even sure if it was from drug. I stopped taking it but my doctor told me to take once in morning and once at night. I also began taking Lialda which has same ingredients again morning and night two pills. After about a month or two I had a dramatic positive affect. I've tried getting off it but my symptoms return. It is effective for bleeding and liquid stool. I sometimes still feel the need to evacuate without anything there but as long as I consistently take it, I have little if any problems"

David1981 December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "My husband died from taking Lialda. He had been taking it for 3 months and it totally depleted his white blood cells. When he was admitted to the hospital, he was taken to ICU ISOLATION on a Fri. and died Wed. Autopsy confirmed he died from the Lialda!"

Anonymous December 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was on Pentasa for 19 years but every time I had a colonoscopy the crohn's was progressing. I finally ended in the hospital with a severe inflammation. I was told by 2 GI docs that the Pentasa was probably not working but back in 1997, except for 6mp they really had no other alternative. 2 months ago I switched to Humira. Many more side effects than Pentasa however."

Buzzberm (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Hi I'm a 47 year old male and have had crohn's now for 17 years. I've been taking one sachet of pentasa in the morning after breakfast. I realise I'm pretty lucky as I lead a normal life, enjoying a pint or to with a curry etc. My only issue from time to time is painful cramps from my back passage, this happens during the night and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour, this happens maybe once every 2 months. I have not had any surgery so I'm very greatful for pentasa as it seams to keep my Crohn's at bay. I from Scotland and get my medication prescription free."

Gordon Stirling November 2, 2016