User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Lialda, Apriso, Pentasa, Asacol, Delzicol, Canasa, Rowasa, Asacol HD, Canasa Pac Zaldyon Rowasa Sulfite Free

Mesalamine has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 356 ratings on Drugs.com. 63% of those users who reviewed Mesalamine reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Ulcerative Colitis, Active
Lymphocytic Colitis  Off-label
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 7.1 356 reviews

Reviews for Mesalamine

Sweet Pea · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2021

Canasa Pac (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: “I noticed improvements in less than a week. Two months out I have no pain, no bloating and feel almost normal. I have no complaints and have become comfortable with suppositories. No big deal when you consider the benefits.”

Nous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 29, 2021

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I was diagnosed with UC in 2018 due to high levels of stress causing serious diarrhea, sharp stomach pain, bloating and bleeding. I got various tests until the doctors were able to diagnose me with UC. Starting off with steroids for a couple weeks, I then began taking 4 tablets daily and the improvements were amazing. I am able to eat any food without any complications. When I find myself stressed out, I do see little flare ups but they go away after a day or two max. I would 100% for anyone to try this medication if you have these symptoms due to stress.”

Marti March 25, 2021

For Ulcerative Proctitis: “This is the second time I have used Mesalamine in 2019 and 2021. The first month I took Mesalamine I thought I saw some improvement. and I have asked my Doctor for refills, after 10 days, I started to feel pain in the lower part of my abdomens, I now have been diagnosed with blood pressure. I starting to have rectal bleeding as well.”

F October 1, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I’ve had UC for 30 years now. Life was hell For the first 15 years and I tried everything that is out there including energy healing and experimental cel therapy in Mexico! I was ready to have my colon removed before I finally learned how to get in remission and stay in remission by watching what I eat. I have not been on any medication for 15 years now. I keep a variety of med handy just in case. Twice I had mild flair-ups and both times I took Apriso and within 5 days I went back to remission and I stopped taking the med again. I stay away from milk, spicy food, alcohol when stomach feels sensitive, certain fruits such as strawberry and cantaloupe and greasy food. Pay attention to what you eat and keep a chart. You’ll be able to pinpoint what irritates your body.”

Noneya · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2019

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I suffered for almost a year before I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis (UC). It got so severe all I did was work and come home and sleep on the bathroom floor. I would make 40-50 trips to the bathroom a day. I just wished I’d die some days. It was truly debilitating. I’m so thankful my employer was very understanding and supportive! I can not take steroids so my options were very limited. My doctor put me on this medication Apriso and it has been life changing for me. The medication is very expensive, but luckily my insurance covers it! When I initially called the pharmacy they told me my cost was over $800 for a 1 month supply, because my insurance denied it. I fixed that issue right away. Out of pocket from a pharmacy is about $30 for a 1 month supply. But I found a home delivery service that had a 3 month supply for only $24!!! Most insurance companies will only cover 1-2 months of this medication so ask. I highly recommend this medication if you have UC.”

Regaining hope · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “I'm 24 years old and my Crohn's is continuously been getting worse. Every year I look more white and more like a skeleton. When I ate food, it went through me within an hour. I used the bathroom every time I ate. Been dizzy with no energy. I started taking pantasa 2 months ago. Have never felt dizzy since, the colors coming back to my skin. Ive gained a little bit of weight, and I only use the bathroom once a day. I haven't been taking the drug very long but so far it seems to be my life saver!”

Trish · Taken for 10 years or more February 13, 2020

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Pentasa for Crohn's I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2001. I have been taking Pentasa for over ten years and I find it works well. I was taking Asacol, but I found them hard to swallow. I could not swallow Pentasa either and dissolving in my throat was a real problem, so a few years ago I started dissolving them in water and adding yogurt or jam. Amazingly, it did the trick. I haven't had any problems with my Crohn's for many years.”

Char · Taken for 10 years or more May 2, 2019

Rowasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 30 plus years, and I have been on multiple meds. Prednisone working the best. But you can't stay on prednisone forever, nasty side affects. Rowasa, Enemas are great for me, I have no mess, no problems at all. They take away the urge to go, and the spasms in my lower rectum. They are a dream medicine. I can actually feel the medicine coating my colon and it feels so much better, when I use these enemas. But you have to be diligent. Stay on your left side all night for the best results so it stays in the correct place. Don't worry about being ashamed to use these, your significant other will understand. Good luck to all.”

Acem · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “I was diagnosed in 1983 with Crohn’s at age 19. That triggered a “preexisting condition” which led to me being uninsured for 30 yrs. As my disease progressed it felt like I was going thru a colonoscopy prep every day of my life. Bloody diarrhea constantly so much I had to stop working. I started on Pentasa about a month ago and for the 1st time in 30 yrs have had solid BMs and no bleeding. It’s like a miracle drug for me. Dr wants me to take it as a suppository at night along with 500 mg capsules 3x/day. The capsules cost $250/m copay ($2,500 reg price) but medicare won’t cover the suppositories which are $9,000! Who can afford that? The main side effect of this drug, for me, is bankruptcy. Other than that it works great.”

Chad11990 September 9, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “My doctor switched me from Acacol HD to Lialda after I lost my insurance and needed a less expensive substitute. I was worried because I had grown accustomed to Asacol and did very well on that medicine. After a few days of adjusting to Lialda, with no real problems or side effects (just a little gas during the first 48 hours), I feel fantastic on Lialda. I've been on Lialda for about 5 months now, and feel as good, if not better than I did on Asacol. I have fewer headaches that I did on Asacol and feel great less stomach cramps. Best of all, for me or anyone who is on the go during the day, I now take one Lialda tablet, twice daily (once in the morning, once at night). This is compared to two Asacol tablets THREE times daily.”

QuisUtDeus · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 4, 2017

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I was diagnosed with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis in 2008. I’ve been on all kinds of medication including asacol, 6mp, remicade, humira, prednisone, amitriptyline, Lialada and others. I also had surgery to remove my gallbladder due to stones - which I regret now since I don’t think made any difference with the BMs and bleeding. I finally had good results with Lialda. I used to take 4 pills a day but managed to ween down to 2. I also realized that part of the healing process came from Spiritual healing and mental attitude. The stress from a job played a major role in my flare ups. Prayer helped me spiritually which in turn helped me with my mind, which then helped with my gut alongside Lialda and a less stressful job.”

Chuck · Taken for 10 years or more July 12, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2007. I was originally put on 4.8 gm/day of mesalamine. After a year on it my colitis was non-detectable and I was put on 2.4 gm/daily for maintenance. I've been taking this medication for over 10 years now with no complications or side effects. I've have had occasional flare-ups and simply increased the dosage back to the original 4.8 gm/daily until the symptoms cleared (usually within a week). My last colonoscopy in 2018 also showed no signs of the colitis. I've had very good results with this medication.”

Mack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Hi, I’m 19 and turning 20. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s last March and was taking Pentasa, and it works great, but when I switched to United Healthcare, they wouldn’t cover it. They then prescribed me Apriso. If your Crohn’s is specific to your small intestine and not your colon, please don’t take Apriso. Apriso is meant to target your colon. I went back to the hospital for the third time because of it, so it was decided that I should go back onto Pentasa. It really works for those who aren’t sure about it. It really does. I was in severe pain for months until Pentasa. It’s kept the pain away and let me get back to a normal diet. For those who were on Pentasa and were forced to change medication due to insurance, you can dispute to your insurance that you need it. It took 2 months to do it, for me, but it worked out. My insurance now will cover it. Good luck to those with Crohn’s and/or are having trouble finding medication or can’t take Pentasa, anymore.”

mymyasky1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Starting taking Lialda about a month and a half ago and it took a couple of weeks to start working. As soon as it started working I felt great no more stomach pain, no more blood, no more diarrhea oh finally something that help take the pain away I was shocked at how good it worked. But then I should have known it was to good to be true about four weeks into it. My beautiful hair started falling out in clumps every time I washed it or even brushed it. I mean it was a lot every time I would cry. Also the muscle aches were the worst. I would sit for maybe 10 minutes and go to get up and almost fall over because my legs almost gave out. Other then that it works great for the pain but I can't take the side effects so I'm going to be switching medicines.”

JenniferL444 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2013

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I take two Lialda pills every morning..(1.2gm), Lialda helped my stomach pains and bleeding tremendously! I recommend to everyone! It took a good 2 months to really show a big difference but I am so happy I finally found something that helps. It has taken me years to finally find something. Also, Contact your doctor or Lialda because it%u2019s really expensive but you can get their coupon card and only pay $10 a month.”

MissT2016 December 2, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “This medicine is the best thing that ever could happened for me .I'm able to eat without it running back out the next 10 min. I have gained weight now I'm worry about gaining to much weight from all the eating I do. I should have started taking it last year but I was worried about the side effects. But no side effects.”

Derew82 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I've encountered ulcerative colitis (UC) at the age of 36. I had symptoms of a bad gallbladder "so the docs thought" did the surgery and 12 hrs later BOOM! The same symptoms occurred. Explosive, painful, bloody diarrhea. Then put on antibiotics for c-dif. Again no progress. So far into 4.5 weeks of my life that were by far the worst. Lost 30+ lbs and couldn't leave my bathroom or couch, my family and I thought I had cancer/dying. Finally after 4.5 weeks and 4 doctors, 3 ER visits and surgery, I finally got a colonoscopy. Loe and behold I've got severe UC, the worst case the doc has ever seen. The whole colon and some look like alien si-fi stuff. Well put on Mesalamine and budesonide and within 7 days my stool is normal 7 out of 10 times, 1 to 2 bowel movements each day and so far no major cramps. I'm going on 5 weeks since I started these and no side effects. So goes to show works for some and not for others”

Made a mistake! · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “I’ve tried taking Lialda 1.2g several times in a 3 months time frame. It really seems to help with my ulcerative colitis. It improved my diarrhea (7/10) and stomach pain (8/10). It pretty much does it’s job of keeping me in remission. But, Every time I take this, my mood changes, my jaws and cheek hurt, I can’t speak properly, I can’t focus, and I just don’t feel like doing anything. At first I thought it was all in my head (pigeon superstition). And so I experimented with it about 6 times and it happened every single time. Even as I’m writing this my jaws hurt, I can’t focus, don’t wanna talk and I’m avoiding doing my homework and I have a 3 hour class to go to! Maybe I’m an exception to the common side effects. I think it’s worth writing this review just in case someone else have the similar side effects.”

LuckyGirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 26, 2020

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I started taking Lialda in April 2015, 4 tablets a day for my ulcerative colitis. After being sick for many months and in and out of the emergency room I was ready for something that would help me get my life back. I was having diarrhea with blood multiple times a day along with abdominal pain and cramps and down to 106 pounds. Lialda started working almost instantly for me. Within a week I was no longer having any loose stools, blood, and my pain level was down 80%. I had some side effects such as headaches, chills, fatigue, and dizziness; a small price to pay for how much Lialda helped me and saved my life. I was able to slowly decrease my dose to 2 tablets a day, then 1, and now none. I gained weight and started to feel more like myself again. For me personally it was a great experience that was worth any side effects that eventually went away after my body was used to the medication. I would definitely recommend Lialda, maybe it can help you like it helped me.”

PC · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “In 2009 I developed pneumonitis, pericarditis, pancreatitis, and ARDS after 3 weeks on Lialda. My GI doc told me and the other docs on my case that I probably had swine flu, and refused to consider Lialda as a possible culprit. The early-onset signs that you're reacting to this drug are that your colitis doesn't improve or gets worse. Having 0 experience (this was a first-line treatment upon my UC diagnosis), I trusted things would improve eventually, as the doctor told me to give it a month. But before that month was up, I was in ICU on full ventilation for 2 weeks & had a cup of bloody fluid drained off of my heart. A pulmonologist noted that my lungs looked like I’d "inhaled pure lye" (which I hadn't). Another doctor on my case eventually intervened and gave me a megadose of steroids, which was the only thing that reversed my condition and imminent death. It was a very long, physically painful, and emotionally devastating recovery, something I never should have had to experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more April 13, 2013

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 30 years, on Asacol for 17. Took it during 2 pregnancies with no ill effects. This medicine has helped me stay in remission for the past 17 years, at a low dose (would like 4 400mg/day, but too expensive, so making due with 2). A lifesaver.”

happycamper110362 · Taken for 10 years or more December 5, 2012

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Totally awesome. I was diagnosed over 25 yrs ago with Crohns. I take 1000mg 3 times a day of Pentasa and 50mgs of mercaptopurine once a day and I have only had 2 flare ups. With proper diet exercise and medications taken as directed daily on a regular schedule remission and normal life is possible.”

Gear July 19, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Been on this for two months now, absolutely no more. Its terrible. Makes my symptoms worse. I keep being told not to stop taking it, the effects will eventually stop, they don't. Abdominal pain, in areas I've never felt before now not just my lower left side but all the way up under ribs. Terrible swelling, nausea, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, general sick feeling, constipation, bloating, pain every time i eat. I'm stopping this now. It's not helping and even if it did, side effects outweigh the benefit. I was better before starting this rubbish.”

hotboxdp · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2017

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Developed UC after I stopped smoking about 10 years ago. Have tried everything including Lialda and Canasa. The only thing that works for me is smoking cigarettes. I've also tried nicotine gum and patch and even E-cigs. Only real cigarettes work. I have to smoke about 5 per day. Symptoms go away after 1-2 weeks. Then I stop smoking. Sometimes the symptoms will come back after a month, sometimes 6. Hate smoking but what's the alternative?”

SUZIE POOPIES HEHE September 20, 2019

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I have had colitis for 20 years. I was prescribed steroids but did not want to take them. I had gas, bloating loose watery foul smelling bowel movements. Up to 20 a day. I started on Asacol 800mg. I took 6 tabs a day. Two in the morning, 2 mid day and 2 at bedtime. I saw no results and was even passing whole tablets...as I know it is common. I almost threw in the towel. At the 3 month mark I had formed stools, and minimal gas and bloating. You have to be patient. Our bowels did not get sick overnight...so you are not going to be cured overnight. 20 years of issues took about 3 months on Asacol. Now I am down to 2 x 800mg tabs maintenance dose. 1 tab in the morning and 1 tab at night. I still have the odd loose bowel movement if I eat greasy food or drink too much coffee. But all and all..well worth it.”

colten970 · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss.”

GT March 12, 2021

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “I've used both the Salofalk Foam & the liquid Salofalk enema & recommend trying this if you are struggling. It takes longer to administer, but is easier to keep in. If you're having issues with the foam, I recommend the following: - Make sure to release the foam slowly. It's less of a shock to the system & helps reduce that reflex muscle action that makes you want to evacuate it. - Wait at least 30 secs before the 2nd dose otherwise you just feel too full when the 2nd dose is released. - After the 2nd dose, don't withdraw the nozzle immediately. Wait at least 30 secs. When you withdraw it, do so as fast as possible. This stops any residual foam coming into contact with (for want of a better word) your anus & causing a burning sensation. - Finally it doesn't say this on the foam instructions, consider lying on your left side for 30 mins after your treatment. This helps the foam get to where it needs to go & makes it easier to keep in. Hope this helps someone & good luck!”

Debbie January 3, 2021

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Received diagnosed last year of ulcerative colitis when I stopped smoking, 2 months later all the symptoms hit: bloated, pains in the stomach, constipation and lots of blood! I went for a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. At first I was given the rectal foam...I found the process awful, once inserted you couldn’t move otherwise it triggered a bowel movement, also caused awful cramps. I then tried the Pentasa tablets, taking 2 a day for 8 weeks now and what a difference. The bloating and pain in the stomach has gone down loads, bowel movements more regular and much less bleeding. I still get the odd niggly feelings and a small amount of blood so the doctor has recommend to up the does to 4 a day. So far though these tablets have massively improved my ulcerative colitis. I’m in the UK and fortunate enough to have the NHS so I pay £9 for three big boxes. It’s crazy to think people have to pay hundreds for no fault of their own!”