User Reviews for Mesalamine systemic

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Lymphocytic Colitis

Ulcerative Colitis, Active
6.9

Summary of Mesalamine reviews 7.4 279 reviews

Reviews for Mesalamine

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I've been taking Pentasa tablets for about 3 weeks- I take two 500mg tablets, 3 times a day. During the 3rd week, diarrhea set in. So far I've gone through 7 straight days of diarrhea. I'll be seeing my doctor next week."

OVER IT (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "This medicine caused multiple side effects for me. My UC never went into remission being on 2.8 grams a day. Even though the pros may out weigh the cons at the time you are deciding to put Mesalamine in your body- you may have wished you never did"

Kp (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "Apriso worked well to control the inflammation in my stomach and small intestine. However after a few weeks of use, it made my hair fall out. If I liked wigs this would be great. So far nothing else has worked this good."

Trying to get Relief (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I’ve had UC for 30 years now. Life was hell For the first 15 years and I tried everything that is out there including energy healing and experimental cel therapy in Mexico! I was ready to have my colon removed before I finally learned how to get in remission and stay in remission by watching what I eat. I have not been on any medication for 15 years now. I keep a variety of med handy just in case. Twice I had mild flair-ups and both times I took Apriso and within 5 days I went back to remission and I stopped taking the med again. I stay away from milk, spicy food, alcohol when stomach feels sensitive, certain fruits such as strawberry and cantaloupe and greasy food. Pay attention to what you eat and keep a chart. You’ll be able to pinpoint what irritates your body."

F October 1, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Lialda put me in remission for over 12 years. I never experienced any side effects, until a few months ago when Lialda almost killed me. It gave me pancreatitis. My lipase was at 10,000, the normal is 0 to 90. I am extremely lucky."

Sugar (taken for 10 years or more) September 30, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I am 65 years old and have had crohns since I was 19. I have tried different meds but over the last 20 years have been very happy with 2 , 500 mg of Pentasa daily. It keeps me out of hospital and maintains my condition to the point I can live with it. However now that I am on medicare and have lost my drug coverage the cost has gone from $400 for a 3 month supply to $1500 for same 3 month supply. I ask my doctor about trying another drug, it calls for 9, 750 mg pills a day so here goes wish me luck."

Scorch (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: "Was prescribed the Salofalk suppositories first which worked a charm, but then the pharmacy ran out so I’ve been using Pentasa (same dosage) and they don’t seem to be working much at all."

A (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I am unable to purchase my pentasa 500 Mg that I have been taking affordably for over 30 years. The Affordable Health Care Act we have today is very misleading. The price went from $300.00 for 90 day to $1,556.00 for the same. Please Americans are suffering without their meds!!!!"

Wewillsurvive (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I’m so happy with the results of this drug. I don’t have too worry about sitting on the toilet all day. I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) for years until I finally got the right dr. Although I still have the symptoms from time to time, nothing like the years before. I recommend this drug to anyone who suffers from any type of inflammatory bowel disease."

Kimber (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2018

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I have had UC since I was 14 and now 64. Have had numerous flare ups through this period but have been very well looked after by consultants and have regular check ups. Been well for years now but am now experiencing a bout of I think proctitis, mucus and wind and running to toilet. Not due to consultant for a few months. Started taking Asacol foam enema and am obviously intolerant as it does not stay in and causes even more mucus. Need to change enemas. Had this now for a few months, need to change to Prednisolone enema. Or has anyone else found something that works well? A call to the consultant is required I think."

Kat August 9, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "It worked for me initially but then stopped working. I didn't really notice any side effects. Have been on 4 pills daily but will need to be switch to something else. I was getting my medication shipped free to my house through the manufacturer. If you qualify for their program you get approved within 2 days."

Carolina (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Been on this for two months now, absolutely no more. Its terrible. Makes my symptoms worse. I keep being told not to stop taking it, the effects will eventually stop, they don't. Abdominal pain, in areas I've never felt before now not just my lower left side but all the way up under ribs. Terrible swelling, nausea, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, general sick feeling, constipation, bloating, pain every time i eat. I'm stopping this now. It's not helping and even if it did, side effects outweigh the benefit. I was better before starting this rubbish."

Gear July 19, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Used this and it didn't worked well for me"

Joe (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "This caused pancreatitis and almost killed me."

CL (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 25 yrs ago and they said I had to have a bag which I refused. Then said you have to go on steroids which I also refused , then I gave up smoking ! Wow 4 months later UC kicked in with a vengeance ended up losing a half glass of blood can honestly say the toilet was my best friend for 4 months ! I plucked up the courage to go to the hospital had a colonoscopy was put on Pentasa 4 tabs a day - bearing in mind I hadn't taken any tablets except Paracetamol occasionally, I put on too much weight which I didn't like that ! So it was decided that I cut down to 2 tabs a day, anyway still didn't feel right so I went to the chemist and showed my belly he gave me water tabs said take 1 a day so off I went next morning I couldn't believe it I had a half solid stool ! I thought that's odd ! Now for 2 weeks I'm doing great 1 Pentasa tab and 1 water tablet and my weight is levelling off and my stools are normal ! My experience maybe not good for everybody !"

Zonar May 17, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I have been taking Lialda for years and it works but here’s the thing I also get migraines to a ridiculous degree so I was forced to cut back my dose. So for me at least the very high dose or what they call a therapeutic level is unnecessary. I’m in a maintenance space where I honestly only need it every other day, I usually get the beginnings of a migraine about an hour after I take it but the migraine doesn’t become full blown on the lesser dose but the medicine does it’s job. Looks like my UC became Crohn’s over time because I also have irritation in my mouth and all sorts of skin spots (look like bug bits but aren’t) and interestingly when I have a flare of any kind if I take two single pills for two days in a row it almost always goes away. Thought I’d say it because the higher doses are completely intolerable for me but I don’t really need it like that. I use the co-pay assist card which makes a big difference"

Llgrrrrll May 17, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Almost 54 Y/O female, recently had initial recommended colonoscopy. Diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and prescribed 1.2 gm tablets of Mesalamine. My colitis problem was hardly noticable to me until beginning this medication. I only had slight change in morning BM routine. Now... I'm nauseous, have terrible stomach cramping and pain. As well as diminished appetite. That part not awful since I'd welcome a healthful 15 lb weight loss. I've only been on this medication for 6 days but I'm very concerned about the cramping and stomach pain. If it persists another day or two, I'll be contacting my GI Dr rather than wait for my 5 week follow up. The cost of this medicine for a 30 day supply would be almost $600.00 if I didn't have RX coverage. Still, $127.70 a month is steep."

Concerned (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have been on this drug for twenty days. I took myself off it because I've experienced severe joint and muscle pain. I also have rashes all over including my head. I have lost 11 pounds, which would be nice except it is not fat, it is muscle mass. This drug need more study! I sincerely hope no one else has to suffer as I have. I have been off it for 9 days now, and things have not improved. I hope this is not sometime I have to live with, but it appears it might be."

Ilee (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Initially when I started taking Lialda, it worked. However, I ignored the side effects because the medication was working well. I pushed aside all the warnings in my body until my symptoms became severe. I had loss of hair, muscle weakness, fatigue, anxiety, and the final straw was the rash that overcame my body. The doctor did not believe it was due to the Lialda, because I was on it for 4 years, however, I know my body better then the doctor and chose to stop taking it. After 2 weeks I felt like a new person. I am now on Balsalazide Disodium, and for now it seems to be working fine. Listen to your body despite what the doctor says. Ignoring the warnings signs my body was experiencing was ignorance on my part and will never happen again."

Happy Camper again (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2018

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I've used this drug for several years. It was first prescribed under the name Asacol. Delzicol is exactly the same drug but is delivered in a different capsule. I suspect that before the patent expires April 13, 2020, the greedy pharmaceutical company will find a new method to deliver the same drug thereby killing any chance of a generic becoming available. I'm fortunate to have a Medicare plan that covers this drug with a $45.00 copay. However when I reach the donut hole at the end of the year, the copay is close to $400. But even that beats the price of over $600.00 retail. The good news is that the drug does work for me. I hope others are relieved as well."

Carol (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 3, 2018

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I feel that this medication is of a big help to me. I have had crohns since 2004. I have good days and bad days more good than bad. I can not take any of the new treatments because I have two auto immune disorders. And I feel the risk is to high of bad side effects. I control my crohns with my diet and other otc meds that helps me deal with crohns better. The only problem I have is weight gain. I can not gain weight. Other than that I can live with it!"

Bandido (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2018

Asacol (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Been taking this for 23 years - was doing quite well for a long time 4-6 x 400mg daily. No longer working - had bowel perforation and Chronic pains in large bowel and caecum. I've been on and off steriods for a year so trying azathioprine next week. Bloods returned anaemic low b12 so having injections also low TPMT - heterozygous ( Patients with low activity of TPMT are at a heightened risk of drug-induced bone marrow toxicity due to accumulation of the unmetabolised drug) so can only take low dose of aza. It is important to get checked for this before you start azathioprine. Let’s hope it works !! Sick of being sick and struggling to work."

Ttra (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I had my first flare and diagnosis of Ulcerative colitis 3 years ago at 41 years of age. I was put on Mesalamine and it immediately worked great. Within days the symptoms had receded but in place of those I am one of the few to get the dreaded headaches. I have never had a headache in my life until then. I tried to hang in there until finally having to throw in the towel. It was so bad I couldn’t sleep. At all. I went days without sleeping. I took the max amount of aspirin I could but didn’t matter. Once I started actually hallucinating my wife said No more. I stopped taking it. The headaches stopped immediately and fortunately the flare was also ending at that point. Mesalamine really is a wonder drug if the side effects don’t overshadow the original problem for the individual."

Dasho (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I started out using Asacol until they came out with the generic Mesalamine. Although this medication has been a miracle drug for me and my ulcerative colitis, The cost ,even with my BCBS insurance, is absolutely ridiculous! I am super happy that my colitis is in remission and has been for a while now, all because of this medication but , good gravy, how can they charge so much for medication? I have often thought about coming off the drug all because of the price but they have me. I don't want to go back to diarrhea, and hemorraging. These drug companies are like Vampires, They just suck the life out of you. I work 40 hrs a week , just so I can pay for my prescriptions."

#costreduction February 7, 2018

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "It has seemed to help me a lot, but it’s whopping expensive. I lucked out on samples and mfg coupons for half a year, then got ate up by expenses. I like this version much better than the asacol I had years ago, which caused discomfort, and terrible urinary stains from residue. So far with Lialda the drug seems more concentrated or timed release, with no residue in urine."

Mike B TX January 2, 2018