User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis, Active 74 reviews 71 medications

7.2
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 214 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Mesalamine

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Very Helpful. Because it is SO expensive, I would wait until it became really bad... Thinking "oh it'll get better". But I will share a trick I do. NOT DR. APPROVED. I use it full strength for 6 days (when I see real results... Do NOT stop treatment). Then I cut a 1/4 off of the small end of each, and collect them in a sandwich bag. Then I shake them to the bottom of the bag, let the bottom of the bag sit in warm water until I can roll a length/roll (while still in the baggy). let it cool then cut into sections for more suppositories... to extend my treatment or for emergencies. I also eat the same foods most EVERY Day. Avacadoes, white rice, soft scrambled eggs, bananas w/ p-butter, squash, oysters, refriedbeans, asparagus & can spinich"

DonLD September 14, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Works fairly well on the ulcers, but the side effects are terrible. two days in my knee swelled to twice the normal size and I can't stand on it. Fever and headache constant. ache all over. eyes hurt. Going back to Colazol."

vndrcheck September 1, 2016

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After being on an obscene amount of prednisone without working, I switched GI's and he prescribed me Salofalk. When I know a flare is coming, I can take a few salofalks over the course of a few days and things usually clear up. Was a life saver!"

Millertime33 August 27, 2016

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I am overjoyed with the effects of this drug. Starting two weeks after my Delzicol treatment began I became completely symptom free of ulcerative colitis and have stayed that way for over two years."

Gen Jen August 8, 2016

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I switched from Liada because insurance. With Liada I did not flareup for 10 years two months on this medicine I flared up I do not recommend this medicine to anybody it is a zero"

Dan t July 22, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Tablets are very difficult to remove from packaging. Adddionally, they cause gas and frequency of bowel evacuation early the following day."

UC (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Age 37, diagnosed with bad UC at 12, recent years only flares up 2-3 times/year. Currently fighting first bout of the year with pentasa suppositories, taking 1-2/day. Has stopped the bleeding and going less frequently BUT awful headaches (as with Asacol/Salofalk foam enemas). Note to self/others who are sick of drugs: I have found (25 yrs in) that it IS possible to be symptom free if you properly and consistently take care of yourself. This means plenty of rest/sleep, camomile tea/water, gentle exercise, meditation (mindfulness is a cliché/buzzword but there's a lot to it), steamed veggies/rice, avoiding sugar/alcohol/dairy/caffeine (going gluten-free can help some people too) ... I intend to cure myself completely one of these days!!"

VitaminDdeficient (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Switched from Pentasa which I was throwing up or having it come out in bits in my stool (not absorbed). Salofalk is easier to swallow and has kept me in remission although how much of it is due to the drug and not just avoiding stress which triggers my symptoms I don't know. It is coated better than Pentasa and the oblong shape works better for swallowing as they are not small."

Brandywinefalls (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I was given pentasa 2mgs in sachets after having a bad flare up of colitis. After few months of taking it I started noticing a regular pattern of not being able to sleep, a bad case of restless legs syndrome (unbearable) always at night and partly causing the not sleeping, irregular heartbeats and having already asthma it got much worse. So after going on forums I realised I wasn't the only one. I halved the dose to 1 gr , the symptoms receded but I still know/feel it's not good to take long term and I will start reducing. It also makes me feel constantly tired. On a positive note it really is effective for what it what design to do, stop the bad effects of colitis... It's finding a good balance in the dosage along with a clean nutrition!"

Chocolatnoir June 3, 2016

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "over a period of time, apriso caused me wasting of muscles (motor neuron disease)"

donottakeapriso May 9, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "This drug PENTASA is the worst drug that I have ever taken, I had sever vomiting at least over 20 times in the space of 3 to4 hrs and sever diarrheoa which was even worse this occurred every 20 minutes or less sometimes but NO bloody that I was aware of.....So people be warned this drug is CRAP IT really is ..."

Gazza Gazza May 4, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Does great relieving pain from blocked bowels."

Sam26123 April 16, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss."

colten970 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: "I've been using pentasa 2 times a day a total of 4 pills it definitely helps! Sometimes I get headaches and feel sick sometimes and occasionally get pain and for some reason ever since I started taking them I get these weird skin patches"

Amanda lynn April 2, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have been on lialda for almost a month and take 1200 mg twice a day. Has helped but my hair is falling out and I hope it stops soon. I also can't sleep. I am awake until 3AM and then will doze for about 45 minutes. I like the medication but not sleeping is a real pain."

Oflair March 25, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "This drug almost killed me. I started during a flare up in my 2nd trimester. My hair would fall out and kept reporting unexplained protein in my urine at every doc appointment...I lost 15 lbs during pregnancy and was determine high risk. 6 months post term, I started to get severe chills to fever, couldn't eat, had full colitis symptoms...was hospitalized with cardiac distress, severe anemia and dehydration and stage 4 kidney failure caused by Lialda...mayo clinic detected that the protein in my urine was in fact a side effect from the lialda. I was immediately taken off and my creatin and iron levels began to stabilize and my hair stopped falling out."

kbbaby March 22, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "took Lialda and was fine for 3 months. No bleeding and had normal stool. Then suddenly I had skin rash and acne."

grizzy p (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have been on this medication for the last three weeks and have not noticed any improvement. My symptoms the last 6 days have been at its worse (going to bathroom almost every 2) hours. My doctor told me to keep taking the medication and is putting me on UCERIS. Just took that pill yesterday. Hopefully that pill works cause this disease sucks right, I am so afraid to go out anywhere because I am waiting on when I will have to go to the Bathroom... I'll keep an update of UCERIS is effective"

Jay1983 March 11, 2016

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Diagnosed with Crohn's at 42. Took Asacol till a couple years ago. It was no longer available. Now on Asacol HD. Works well and no flares in 2 years. Price is expensive. Our insurance just sent us a letter they will no longer cover it starting next month. Gastro doc will be switching me to another name brand (Lialda). I hope it works the same!"

Loris in Ohio (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2016

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I have been on salofalk since I was diagnosed with UC 18 months ago. Over that time I've had about 8 courses of prednisone. Every time I come off prednisone and rely solely on Salofalk I get another flare. I'm currently on 1500mg/day of salofalk. Even after being hospitalised and pumped full of steroids which resulted in no symptoms (and normal bowel movements - YAY!) the salofalk couldn't keep me there :("

UC12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have ulcerative sigmoiditis & proctitis. I couldn't retain rowasa very long. The GE switched me to sulfasalazine, first 4/day which worked for a few months, then 8/day which worked for two-three years. I still had flare-ups a few times per year. Then he upped it to 16/day, but that only worked for about a year. I was having flare-ups all the time, I was tired of taking pills, so I asked my PCP to try me on another drug, Apriso. I was in the middle of a flare-up, so it took a few weeks to kick in. But that's the last flare up I've had. It's 4 capsules only, once per day, and I haven't had a flare-up since I started taking it about 5 years ago. I have not noticed any side effects."

JLB21 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 14, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I had tons of hair loss and the medication never did anything for me. My doctor finally agreed to take me off it after 9 months."

Marcimc1 February 1, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After taking Lialda for 2 years my hair is very thin. It has not controlled me from going to the bathroom alot. I started noticing besides my hair getting thin, having severe headaches. had to have a blood transfusion and my urine started getting darker and darker. The the straw that broke the camel's back was my tongue and lips swelled and I had hives all over they were so severe that I didn't get any sleep they caused me to have blisters. After 3 trips to the ER they finally found something to help the hives. I haven't eaten a full meal in over a year do to the fact that my mouth and lips were so swore and painful to eat. When all the side affects started piling up I just quit taking it and call my gasteronolist and will see him in 2 weeks"

Very unhappy camper (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine worked really well for me this is the first time I used it and it did its job within first use"

Khan safina January 18, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I feel great. Colonoscopy not so great. Been on lialda for 3 yrs. Wonder what eating/drinking habits the person from Iowa has.."

Feel great, coloniscopy not December 15, 2015