User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mesalamine.

Lymphocytic Colitis

Ulcerative Colitis, Active
7.1

Summary of Mesalamine reviews 7.9 252 reviews

Reviews for Mesalamine

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I was on Asacol for over 10 years taking 2 pills 4 times a day. I switched to Apriso for another 10 years taking 4 pills once a day thanks to the time release. Lately I've been finding it cheaper than it used to be. I'll still have flares about 5 times a year. Sometimes I forget to take them for a few days and it doesn't bother me much. I am searching currently just to change it up since I've been on Apriso for so many years. For the most part, it's been fine though. My insurance counts it as a tier 3 which is a joke and I find it cheaper to order through online coupon sites getting 3 months at a time."

Kendalizor (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I'm a Filipina 44 years old and was diagnosed of crohn's in 2014. I've been taking pentasa tabs and suppository as well. My first 6 months was four pentasa 500mg tablets twice a day and 1 suppository before bedtime. There was an improvement I had less diarhea and crampness of stomach. I maintained taking pentasa for 2 years and reduced the dosage until I took two 500mg pentasa a day and 1 suppository. Since I feel better. I decided to stop taking med. Now I'm 3 years with out taking any medicine and starting again with diarrhea with a bloody stool. Maybe I need to start back on pentasa again.."

Juvy paulite November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis in 2008. I’ve been on all kinds of medication including asacol, 6mp, remicade, humira, prednisone, amitriptyline, Lialada and others. I also had surgery to remove my gallbladder due to stones - which I regret now since I don’t think made any difference with the BMs and bleeding. I finally had good results with Lialda. I used to take 4 pills a day but managed to ween down to 2. I also realized that part of the healing process came from Spiritual healing and mental attitude. The stress from a job played a major role in my flare ups. Prayer helped me spiritually which in turn helped me with my mind, which then helped with my gut alongside Lialda and a less stressful job."

QuisUtDeus (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Diagnosed with Crohn’s after routine Colonscopy 5/2017 and was started on Lialda. No symptoms of Crohn’s other than the discovery of ulcers during Colonscopy. Now having hair loss at temples and fear it will continue and/or get worse. Plus it’s not covered by my insurance and costs over $230.00 a month. My GI says if I don’t take it I risk getting colon cancer. I was basically told it’s better to be broke and bald than have colon cancer. I think there has to be another answer?"

Urseka November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer seven years ago - Stage 2A. About a year after I had a Colonoscopy and was found to have UC at the resection. Few years later I was also diagnosed with proctitis. When I get a flare 2-3 times a year I immediately have the enemas filled. It’s a two week process but usually after the first four or five days the inflammation starts to go down. I highly recommend it based on my personal experience."

Craig Br October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "71 y/o male, been on Apriso for 17 months. Was on Asacol, PRN, since 1st dx of "Crohn's colititis" in '03, refined to Crohn's, with stricture @ splenic flexure (caecum) in 2013. In June drove 4000+ miles without butt cushion and have exacerbated hemorrhoids with minor bleeding X3 mos. Saw anesthesia yesterday and ECG looked better than 40 years ago, but worried about H&H (rectal bleeding), liver and kidney enzymes (long terms NSAIDS) and C-reactive protein (indicative of autoimmune antecedents). If labs are OK, will go next week for UGI endo (1st time), and bottom peek, with possible repair of hemis. My Apriso co pay went from $47 to $169/mo.(donut hole) and I wonder if we might switch back to Asacol?"

Boynurse (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been taking 4 x Pentasa 500mg twice daily since I was diagnosed with Crohn's in June this year. I haven't noticed any side effects but my stomach cramping, bloating, gas and just general pain has dramatically decreased so I think it is helping! Yay. My specialist has advised that if my symptoms don't totally subside on this medication I've to try a steroid so hopefully it continues to work for me. Thankfully I'm in Scotland as well so I don't need to pay for the prescription."

May13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "The medicine seems to work well but still bleeding so doc put me on canasa and prednisone seems to work better"

Branum408 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Works fine for me after 1 month using 3 gm daily but side effect was bad . Back and muscle pain. I can't move from pain."

Khaled mousa September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was on asacol for 10 years with no flare ups and leading a normal life. Then 2 years ago my insurance (BCBS) stopped covering it. My Doctor changed me to Lialda and I have had a nothing short of continuous colitis hell flare up for 2 years straight. 20 diarrheas a day. Stomach cramps, weight loss, explosive uncontrolled bm. My Doctor refused to write a letter of medical necessity to my insurance company so I could get back on asacol. So I was on continuous steroids which caused diabetes. Finally to the point of starting humira which caused e coli, c diff, nor ovirus. Recent hospitalization which I was able to get back on asacol while in the hospital. Now discharged and unable to get asacol approved for use outside of hospitalization. "

sick of ulcerative colitis (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "In June, 2017, I had a colonoscopy because I had had blood in my stool for 5 months which started out with a small amount to a larger amount. I was diagnosed as having colitis in my sigmoid colon. The gastroenterologist prescribed a sulfa drug first which did not help, then flagyl which did not help, then cipro and prednisone which did not help. He put me on Melasamine along with prednidone 4 days ago. I now see no blood at all in my stool. He also put me on a low fiber diet as well. Right now I am so happy that my bleeding is being resolved. It would be wonderful if I can stop taking it when I go back to see him in a week. Time will tell."

Dancerlady (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Developed UC after I stopped smoking about 10 years ago. Have tried everything including Lialda and Canasa. The only thing that works for me is smoking cigarettes. I've also tried nicotine gum and patch and even E-cigs. Only real cigarettes work. I have to smoke about 5 per day. Symptoms go away after 1-2 weeks. Then I stop smoking. Sometimes the symptoms will come back after a month, sometimes 6. Hate smoking but what's the alternative?"

hotboxdp (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I've been taking this medicine for years now and have had very little flare ups. I feel great on this medicine"

Dude408 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I started taking Apriso after being diagnosed with Crohn's August 2017. My Gastro doctor started me out on the ER capsules in the morning. I didn't really notice many side effects at first. I actually felt better than I've felt in years. Crohn's symptoms are almost completely gone, however, I still have a bad day every now and then. A few weeks in, I'm having horrible pounding headaches, dizzy when I stand from sitting, heart burn, excessive sweating, dry mouth, nausea, food taste metallic, and loss of appetite. I'm afraid if I stop this medication all the Crohn's issue will return. I would rate it a 5 because the med works if you can tolerate the side effects."

C.King (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with indeterminate UC in February 2017. Since then I am taking Asacol 800mg 3 tablets a day. I am not sure, but I think that the flaking rashes on my face are due to the this medicine's side effect. And they hardly ever to disappear. And when they do, I have them back after a few days. I was prescribed different products, none of them worked. Never had this issue before, only after I have started taking Asacol."

AnonymusUK August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Well, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 29... but the doctors thought I had it before then but I was pregnant and it laid dormant for about a year. My intestines burst one year ago and I had to have bowel resection...20 inches and my appendix. After all that, they put me on steroids and pentasa two 500mg, 3 times a day. At first I did ok with it but I'm horrible at taking medicine so I started decreasing the amount that I took. Doctor is not thrilled of course but now that I haven't taken it for a while, I feel no different than when I'm on it. I have diarrhea anytime I eat and occasional gas with pain but that's it... I'm lucky I know and still not sure if I'm making the right choice but meds are $70/mo"

Anonymous July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've been taking Pentasa for several years. I remember vividly having to go to the bathroom several times a day. I have to go just once a day, maybe once every other day since taking Pentasa. My dosage is two 500 mg capsules four times a day. The only side effect I have experienced is passing gas considerably."

Mark Kratovil May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "It has been great. Works a treat."

Pauma May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with UC when I was 20 years old. I am now 64 so 44 years with this annoying condition. Over the years I have been put on various medications but Asacol tablets along with occasional Asacol foam enemas have kept me well. I take 8 x 400mg tablets a day (4 first thing in the morning and 4 last thing at night), no side effects whatsoever. I only need the foam enemas if I get a bit of mucous or that 'colitis feeling' and the enemas work within two or three days. I use the enemas for a week though, to be on the safe side."

JerryDee (taken for 10 years or more) May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been taking Pentasa since 10 years and has relieved all cramps and distentions. I'm able to lead my life comfortably now. Only recently I have developed rashes all over and want to know in case any one else facing same way."

Ritz Shar April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Apriso (mesalamine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "Every doc said was IBS but a biopsy showed inflammation without being UC....I'm taking apriso and I'm so happy my life change 100%...keep fingers crossed "

Katlady1776 April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with moderate to severe universal colitis on 3/27. I was prescribed lialda and take 4 pills a day as well as 1 uceris. I am not exaggerating when I say the relief was almost instant! Within 3 days I went from urgently using the bathroom 5 - 6 times a day with unbearable abdominal cramps to using the bathroom once a day with no cramps! Only side effects I have noticed so far is slight headaches, occasional trouble sleeping and more frequent urination which I will take over my colitis symptoms any day :) Lialda seriously has changed my life in the short 2 weeks I've been taking it ——————————————————— 19 years old Moderate to severe universal colitis Flare started: May 2016 Diagnosed: March 2017 Remission: April 2017"

Anonymous_9332 April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Ok not enough room on this review to put up my full history. So will be brief. :) So far, tried Asacol and Humira and both did nothing for me. Now I am on Lialda twice a day, 1.2GM tablets. And these are working great. No cramps and limiting me now to about 2 - 3 bowel movements a day. And no bloody stools unlike my past. (10 years diagnosis). I have also changed my diet to a Mediterranean diet with little to no red meat. Mainly chicken and fish for my sources of protein. No deep fried foods. And has worked out great. Also for veggies/greens etc, skip out on any gas producing vegs (broccoli and onions for example). And taking vitamins/iron supplements daily to keep those well maintained."

Doing Better From TN (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I'very been on Lialda since diagnoses nearly 10 years ago. I started with 2xday and progressed to 4x day about 4 years ago. A month ago I had a bad flare and am not on 6x day for a couple days + casana (sp?) Which is essentially the same drug only in suppository. It's already working to clear up my flare, but I'm experiencing acne and jumbled thoughts. Can't wait to drop the suppository once this is under control, hopefully I'm 1-2 wks. I don't know how "Iowa" cured themselves with diet -- I tried that and Lialda seriously changed my life."

AGinchicago (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have mild UC and I was prescribed both pentasa and salofalk enema. I found that those 2 taken together works really great and my symptoms disappeared after 5 days. Taking pentasa (pill form) by itself did not helped at all until I started the enema after a week."

Uncle mustafa March 13, 2017