User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Lialda, Pentasa, Asacol, Canasa, Delzicol, Asacol HD, Rowasa, Canasa Pac, Zaldyon Rowasa Sulfite Free

Lymphocytic Colitis 9.0
Ulcerative Proctitis 6.2
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 7.1 336 reviews

Reviews for Mesalamine

Missing Salofalk · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2020

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: “I was diagnosed with UC last year. I was both on Pentasa 8x500mg daily plus daily Salofalk suppositories. I can’t say anything about Pentasa tablets but Salofalk worked very well. Unfortunately Salofalk is not available anymore and I had to switch to Pentasa suppositories which is the worst. I am wondering if any of this drugmakers ever used Pentasa suppositories. I bet they didn’t! It is very hard to use and I prefer bleeding a lot than being mentally depressed by using it (very irritating and very uncomfortable, plus doesn’t dissolve and irritates the area badly) I am missing Salofalk a lot!!”

UCsufferer21 June 28, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Mesalamine is great, it has kept me in remission for longer periods of time than other drugs. Even biologics. Only thing I can somewhat complain about is that it makes me extremely gassy, and the occasional headaches from it.”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I was diagnosed with celiac and proctosigmoidcolitus and was prescribed mesalamine suppositories and had no trouble or flareups for a year. Recently had a flareup and started back on it. I am happy with this stuff except for the uncomfortable feeling after you deliver it. But otherwise a great medicine”

Peaches · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I’ve been taking Lialda for 6 years. I started on a very high dose but have reduced it over the years. I do believe it gives me gas, stomach aches, and I often have soft stools and mild cramping. I spoke to my doctor about it and he agrees it is probably the Lialda, but I didn’t want to switch in fear a new drug would not be as effective. I can deal with the side effects I have but I definitely don’t want another flare up. With that said, it works for me but with annoying side effects. Also, the price is ridiculous!!!! For a while I could use coupons but they aren’t available since a generic was introduced. Thank goodness I have insurance, but it’s still high.”

Cassidy · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 5, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I’m on mesalamine for colitis just wanted to mention the company that makes it will help with the cost I called them directly sent in an application for patient assist I now get it at no cost I work they have different income levels if you are over a certain amount but under a certain amount you pay $50 a month”

Northern · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 2, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “For the first 4 years mesalanine worked alright for my UC, but then my body had enough and I got side effects of feeling bloated all day long, bones felt weak, joint pain, chest pain etc. I ended up quitting it and switching on dipentum.”

Djt · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “I've been on mesalamine for a week for Microscopic colitis. My bathroom runs have increased to 20 times a day. I can't sleep because when I lay down it is bathroom time! I've been so exhausted I have been sleeping an average of 12 hours a day and I have a constant headache. Add on a bit of a fever and my butt feels like someone blowtorched it. The meds are worse than the disease for me right now so I am going to try steroids though they are bank-breaking. If it actually helps, better than mesalamine, worth it”

Bobby.S · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2020

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I have UC and have switched from Apriso to Lialda this year because of the price, been using it for 7 weeks now and have muscle fatigue and acne, it does seem to be starting to work, having fewer trips to bathroom then when I switched, Every time I eat even a handful of chips have a urge to poop. hope that goes away. Do plan on going back on Apriso next year after building up HSA funds back up.”

Cincinnati · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 14, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “Generic Mesalamine helps reduce my UC symptoms. Spicy foods, fatty foods, alcohol and especially stress cause outbreaks. Mesalamine acts to coat the bowel and makes passing waste more smooth and less of an ordeal. I don't know of any side effects. I also use generic Gas Relief (found at Kroger) containing Simethicone 180 mg. This helps reduce the horrid smell of flatulence during an attack, Combined with a careful diet, calming your mind and normal sleep, Mesalamine can be most effective. And it's not costly. Be well.”

Blessed · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 10, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Canasa helps me manage my flares with less dangerous side effects such as biologicals”

A guy from london · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Measalazine Foam enema. Available from NHS in UK so insurance not an issue I have only taken this for a week so it's early to say ... But so far I think it is working better than other formulations. I tried the same brand suppositories which were not effective, pentasa was better but this foam seems to be doing better again.. Probably as my inflammation extends to 20cm. After four days I started to feel better, I had more energy and more regular & solid stools. At first it was hard to keep the enema in, which is still true if I use a double dose as prescribed. It is uncomfortable to take and so far a double pump often leads to a bowel evacuation.. but I'm hoping this improves as the inflammation recedes as stated in the instructions.”

tessa · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I got UC 3 years after quitting smoking at age 70. As I was always healthy before, I was rather dismayed to be told I have ulcerative colitis. I take the enema and find it difficult to use as well as a nuisance. I do not "go" as often and there is no more blood, but I am tired, have headaches, bloating, flatulence, and cramps---to the extent that I now get very little sleep. Before , my symptoms were in the morning. Now, I feel urgency to go all day---as well as most nights. Won't say I'm sorry I quit smoking. I'll just say I'm glad I smoked as long as I did. Hope others have better experiences with this drug.”

Tee · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “This medication works well for me. The only side effects I experienced was bloating and weight gain. I did stop taking it for a while just to see if that’s where my weight was coming from. But being pain free outweighs the weight any day.”

Trish · Taken for 10 years or more February 13, 2020

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Pentasa for Crohn's I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2001. I have been taking Pentasa for over ten years and I find it works well. I was taking Asacol, but I found them hard to swallow. I could not swallow Pentasa either and dissolving in my throat was a real problem, so a few years ago I started dissolving them in water and adding yogurt or jam. Amazingly, it did the trick. I haven't had any problems with my Crohn's for many years.”

Rea February 6, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “Supposedly diagnosed with Segmental Colitis and after my colonoscopy I was started on Lialda. Now 6 months later I have seen no improvement, however I think I am experiencing bloating, knee pain and I am still bleeding. My doctor suggested prednisone. At this point my trust in her is gone and decided to stop the medication. 6 months of bleeding, numerous call to her office / visits and a ton of blood work and nothing has changed. Side effects can be increased bleeding.”

Mr. Big February 4, 2020

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I am 64-had a colonoscopy last July for a positive Cologuard test result. No cancer, but, there was a small area of redness the doctor was concerned about. Ordered a CT scan-no def results. After exam, did not have a normal bowel movement-I was perfectly fine before the exam. By late Aug, had serious rectal bleeding, loose stool. Went back in mid-Sept they ordered tests for infection/parasities- were negative. In Nov I reached the worst point, where I was running to the bathroom almost hourly. I started taking probiotics, based on the recommendation of a friend and that helped. By late Dec, started having somewhat solid stool again. I had an appointment with a gastroenterologist at the end of January-at that point I was recovering quite nicely and she prescribed Mesalamine, which I have been taking for two weeks now and I am practically back to normal. I don't know exactly why I began to recover on my own, but, probiotics definitely help and the Mesalamine sealed the deal.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 22, 2020

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Hi, I'm a 51 year old Male from Scotland and was diagnosed with Crohn's at 30 . I take 1 sachet of pentasa in the morning and it has been keeping everything at bay. I can have a pint or 2 and can eat what I like with no effects. I can suffer cramps in my back passage through the night which lasts about 15-30 mins, every 2/3 months. Also losing my hair and on blood pressure tablets . This is side effects to Pentasa.”

PC · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “In 2009 I developed pneumonitis, pericarditis, pancreatitis, and ARDS after 3 weeks on Lialda. My GI doc told me and the other docs on my case that I probably had swine flu, and refused to consider Lialda as a possible culprit. The early-onset signs that you're reacting to this drug are that your colitis doesn't improve or gets worse. Having 0 experience (this was a first-line treatment upon my UC diagnosis), I trusted things would improve eventually, as the doctor told me to give it a month. But before that month was up, I was in ICU on full ventilation for 2 weeks & had a cup of bloody fluid drained off of my heart. A pulmonologist noted that my lungs looked like I’d "inhaled pure lye" (which I hadn't). Another doctor on my case eventually intervened and gave me a megadose of steroids, which was the only thing that reversed my condition and imminent death. It was a very long, physically painful, and emotionally devastating recovery, something I never should have had to experience.”

Petie December 6, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “This drug made my colitis worst... more flare ups and extreme pain... I do not recommend this for ulcerative colitis”

Anonymous December 4, 2019

For Crohn's Disease: “Diagnost with colitis 1984, I'm 61 now ,had remission. I'm taking Lialda and is working. Diet is very important for me . Not having fast foods and greasy foods, deep fried foods and spicy foods. My main issue is stress.”

Vito · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2019

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Took it for about a week and Doc gave me Prednisone which worked really well until now I stopped taking it and my condition came back. I’m only 20 years old and I’m in desperate help. I can’t work comfortably or even eat certain foods without having to go to the bathroom 5-10 times a day!”

Pecos · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: “I can't afford Canasa. 2 doctors have prescribed it for me. I am on medicare and it will put me into the coverage gap in just a few months. Then I pay lots more for all my drugs. What a scam. I tried Apriso and it gave me tinnitus.”

Anish · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2019

For Ulcerative Proctitis: “I was originally put on mesalmine Salofalk 1000 mgs suppositories. It caused a burning sensation in my rectum and caused severe abdominal cramping. It increased my bowel movements to up to 20 bloody movements a day and I lost fecal control. My doctor then put me on mezavant tablets and later switched to the Salofalk mesalmine foam enema and then to the mesalmine Salofalk liquid enemas I have never felt so sick in my life. I continue to have very negative side effects and increased nausea now I am choosing to come off this medication and will be speaking with my gastrointologist in finding an alternative drug. This medication was absolute poison to my system. I have lost my quality of life and it is very debilitating.”

Noneya · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2019

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I suffered for almost a year before I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis (UC). It got so severe all I did was work and come home and sleep on the bathroom floor. I would make 40-50 trips to the bathroom a day. I just wished I’d die some days. It was truly debilitating. I’m so thankful my employer was very understanding and supportive! I can not take steroids so my options were very limited. My doctor put me on this medication Apriso and it has been life changing for me. The medication is very expensive, but luckily my insurance covers it! When I initially called the pharmacy they told me my cost was over $800 for a 1 month supply, because my insurance denied it. I fixed that issue right away. Out of pocket from a pharmacy is about $30 for a 1 month supply. But I found a home delivery service that had a 3 month supply for only $24!!! Most insurance companies will only cover 1-2 months of this medication so ask. I highly recommend this medication if you have UC.”

Rana · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2019

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Loved it, absolutely did!!way better than pentasa and is mostly out of stock for where I live!!on the other hand pentasa is easy to get but not as effective as salofalk..”