User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Lymphocytic Colitis 3 reviews 30 medications

7.2
Ulcerative Colitis, Active 80 reviews 36 medications

Summary of Mesalamine reviews 236 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Mesalamine

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've been taking Pentasa for several years. I remember vividly having to go to the bathroom several times a day. I have to go just once a day, maybe once every other day since taking Pentasa. My dosage is two 500 mg capsules four times a day. The only side effect I have experienced is passing gas considerably."

Mark Kratovil May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "It has been great. Works a treat."

Pauma May 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with UC when I was 20 years old. I am now 64 so 44 years with this annoying condition. Over the years I have been put on various medications but Asacol tablets along with occasional Asacol foam enemas have kept me well. I take 8 x 400mg tablets a day (4 first thing in the morning and 4 last thing at night), no side effects whatsoever. I only need the foam enemas if I get a bit of mucous or that 'colitis feeling' and the enemas work within two or three days. I use the enemas for a week though, to be on the safe side."

JerryDee (taken for 10 years or more) May 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have been taking Pentasa since 10 years and has relieved all cramps and distentions. I'm able to lead my life comfortably now. Only recently I have developed rashes all over and want to know in case any one else facing same way."

Ritz Shar April 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apriso (mesalamine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "Every doc said was IBS but a biopsy showed inflammation without being UC....I'm taking apriso and I'm so happy my life change 100%...keep fingers crossed "

Katlady1776 April 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with moderate to severe universal colitis on 3/27. I was prescribed lialda and take 4 pills a day as well as 1 uceris. I am not exaggerating when I say the relief was almost instant! Within 3 days I went from urgently using the bathroom 5 - 6 times a day with unbearable abdominal cramps to using the bathroom once a day with no cramps! Only side effects I have noticed so far is slight headaches, occasional trouble sleeping and more frequent urination which I will take over my colitis symptoms any day :) Lialda seriously has changed my life in the short 2 weeks I've been taking it ——————————————————— 19 years old Moderate to severe universal colitis Flare started: May 2016 Diagnosed: March 2017 Remission: April 2017"

Anonymous_9332 April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Ok not enough room on this review to put up my full history. So will be brief. :) So far, tried Asacol and Humira and both did nothing for me. Now I am on Lialda twice a day, 1.2GM tablets. And these are working great. No cramps and limiting me now to about 2 - 3 bowel movements a day. And no bloody stools unlike my past. (10 years diagnosis). I have also changed my diet to a Mediterranean diet with little to no red meat. Mainly chicken and fish for my sources of protein. No deep fried foods. And has worked out great. Also for veggies/greens etc, skip out on any gas producing vegs (broccoli and onions for example). And taking vitamins/iron supplements daily to keep those well maintained."

Doing Better From TN (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I'very been on Lialda since diagnoses nearly 10 years ago. I started with 2xday and progressed to 4x day about 4 years ago. A month ago I had a bad flare and am not on 6x day for a couple days + casana (sp?) Which is essentially the same drug only in suppository. It's already working to clear up my flare, but I'm experiencing acne and jumbled thoughts. Can't wait to drop the suppository once this is under control, hopefully I'm 1-2 wks. I don't know how "Iowa" cured themselves with diet -- I tried that and Lialda seriously changed my life."

AGinchicago (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have mild UC and I was prescribed both pentasa and salofalk enema. I found that those 2 taken together works really great and my symptoms disappeared after 5 days. Taking pentasa (pill form) by itself did not helped at all until I started the enema after a week."

Uncle mustafa March 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I take Pentasa much in the way people take Rolaids. As soon as I feel like my intestines are reacting poorly I will take 2 pentasa.500mg and my stomach calms down within 10 minutes. I have no idea why it works for me, a Crohns patient for 10 years in this way. I do not ever take it as a preventative medicine. As a topical way to calm intestine discomfort, it just seems to be miraculous."

JMacBerPI (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was prescribed this med for mild UC. I discussed concerns with my doctor on starting a medication while nursing and without trying natural approach to curing the symptoms first. He share some patience had success using turmeric supplement to address inflammation of the sigmoid colon (lower intestine and bowel). After 2 weeks on the Turmeric my symptoms of urgency, cramping and excessive frequency to 'go' subsided. After 3 weeks, I've been having normal bowel movements and no cramping. I am happy with the progress I've made on this natural remedy."

Natural_first (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After years of being told I had IBS-D and it was all in my head, I was finally diagnosed as having UC. I was so sick at that point I was considering going on disability. After two weeks of Lialda, I started to improve and soon could live somewhat of a normal life, although with a very restricted diet. A routine blood test 11 months later showed that my kidneys had been damaged by this anti-inflammatory. I got off Lialda immediately but four months later my creatinine level is still too high. I never had any kidney trouble before taking Lialda."

Lorelei56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: "When I first started taking it it didn't have any effect except minor stomach cramping which I wasn't even sure if it was from drug. I stopped taking it but my doctor told me to take once in morning and once at night. I also began taking Lialda which has same ingredients again morning and night two pills. After about a month or two I had a dramatic positive affect. I've tried getting off it but my symptoms return. It is effective for bleeding and liquid stool. I sometimes still feel the need to evacuate without anything there but as long as I consistently take it, I have little if any problems"

David1981 December 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "My husband died from taking Lialda. He had been taking it for 3 months and it totally depleted his white blood cells. When he was admitted to the hospital, he was taken to ICU ISOLATION on a Fri. and died Wed. Autopsy confirmed he died from the Lialda!"

Anonymous December 16, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was on Pentasa for 19 years but every time I had a colonoscopy the crohn's was progressing. I finally ended in the hospital with a severe inflammation. I was told by 2 GI docs that the Pentasa was probably not working but back in 1997, except for 6mp they really had no other alternative. 2 months ago I switched to Humira. Many more side effects than Pentasa however."

Buzzberm (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Hi I'm a 47 year old male and have had crohn's now for 17 years. I've been taking one sachet of pentasa in the morning after breakfast. I realise I'm pretty lucky as I lead a normal life, enjoying a pint or to with a curry etc. My only issue from time to time is painful cramps from my back passage, this happens during the night and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour, this happens maybe once every 2 months. I have not had any surgery so I'm very greatful for pentasa as it seams to keep my Crohn's at bay. I from Scotland and get my medication prescription free."

Gordon Stirling November 2, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "When my UC symptoms are flaring up a lot it does nothing. When I'm on it after a flare up it still does nothing and I still flare up."

Beckidel October 28, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "This medicine has little to no effect on my Ulcerative Colitis. I was diagnosed with in in early Aug of this year, I was prescribed Lialda because my case wasn't "too severe." I have seen no improvement from this medicine, and I would say my symptoms/flare ups have become worse and more frequent. Apparently this medicine works for some people, not me. I haven't noticed any of the side effects from Lialda, but it definitely isn't doing what it is supposed to."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "It says not to crush or chew. Then they should make them smaller! They are way too large! Having trouble getting them to go down."

Fleischhauer October 20, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Developed UC at age 44. After being on Asacol for years with no further flare ups, due to insurance coverage was forced to change every few years. Presently been on Apriso for about 6 months. Apriso seems to do its job although I do seem to have softer stool now. DR said to expect that with some meds. Only complaint is the quantity of capsules. I need to take four 375mg capsule (kind of big overall size) once per day. Does its job, what more can I say except I wish price was better."

Fred Astaire October 15, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "I was prescribed ASACOL 7 days ago following a colonoscopy showed I had an inflamed colon. Over the week I have become increasingly tired and achy and my movements have become increasingly lose, becoming diarrhoea by day 6. I have been taken off the medicine pending a consultation in 3 days."

Richard Huntrods (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I had been on Asacol HD until my insurance Cigna stopped covering it. I had been okay, but had to watch what I ate and often has loose bowel movements. First night after taking Apriso was terrifying. I felt like all my muscles were numb in the middle of the night and I had night sweats. (I had drank some wine that evening) But when I awoke the next morn, by bowel movements seemed okay. I kept on Apriso and saw the numbing impct at night dwindle. In fact I seem to be getting more restful sleep. It has been 3 weeks so far, and I feel this is the best I have been with my UC single I was diagnosed 18 years ago. Certainly recommend trying it out!"

FloridaFit (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Very Helpful. Because it is SO expensive, I would wait until it became really bad... Thinking "oh it'll get better". But I will share a trick I do. NOT DR. APPROVED. I use it full strength for 6 days (when I see real results... Do NOT stop treatment). Then I cut a 1/4 off of the small end of each, and collect them in a sandwich bag. Then I shake them to the bottom of the bag, let the bottom of the bag sit in warm water until I can roll a length/roll (while still in the baggy). let it cool then cut into sections for more suppositories... to extend my treatment or for emergencies. I also eat the same foods most EVERY Day. Avacadoes, white rice, soft scrambled eggs, bananas w/ p-butter, squash, oysters, refriedbeans, asparagus & can spinich"

DonLD September 14, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Works fairly well on the ulcers, but the side effects are terrible. two days in my knee swelled to twice the normal size and I can't stand on it. Fever and headache constant. ache all over. eyes hurt. Going back to Colazol."

vndrcheck September 1, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After being on an obscene amount of prednisone without working, I switched GI's and he prescribed me Salofalk. When I know a flare is coming, I can take a few salofalks over the course of a few days and things usually clear up. Was a life saver!"

Millertime33 August 27, 2016