User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Lymphocytic Colitis 3 reviews 30 medications

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 3 reviews 72 medications

6.3
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 228 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Mesalamine

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have mild UC and I was prescribed both pentasa and salofalk enema. I found that those 2 taken together works really great and my symptoms disappeared after 5 days. Taking pentasa (pill form) by itself did not helped at all until I started the enema after a week."

Uncle mustafa March 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I take Pentasa much in the way people take Rolaids. As soon as I feel like my intestines are reacting poorly I will take 2 pentasa.500mg and my stomach calms down within 10 minutes. I have no idea why it works for me, a Crohns patient for 10 years in this way. I do not ever take it as a preventative medicine. As a topical way to calm intestine discomfort, it just seems to be miraculous."

JMacBerPI (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was prescribed this med for mild UC. I discussed concerns with my doctor on starting a medication while nursing and without trying natural approach to curing the symptoms first. He share some patience had success using turmeric supplement to address inflammation of the sigmoid colon (lower intestine and bowel). After 2 weeks on the Turmeric my symptoms of urgency, cramping and excessive frequency to 'go' subsided. After 3 weeks, I've been having normal bowel movements and no cramping. I am happy with the progress I've made on this natural remedy."

Natural_first (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After years of being told I had IBS-D and it was all in my head, I was finally diagnosed as having UC. I was so sick at that point I was considering going on disability. After two weeks of Lialda, I started to improve and soon could live somewhat of a normal life, although with a very restricted diet. A routine blood test 11 months later showed that my kidneys had been damaged by this anti-inflammatory. I got off Lialda immediately but four months later my creatinine level is still too high. I never had any kidney trouble before taking Lialda."

Lorelei56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: "When I first started taking it it didn't have any effect except minor stomach cramping which I wasn't even sure if it was from drug. I stopped taking it but my doctor told me to take once in morning and once at night. I also began taking Lialda which has same ingredients again morning and night two pills. After about a month or two I had a dramatic positive affect. I've tried getting off it but my symptoms return. It is effective for bleeding and liquid stool. I sometimes still feel the need to evacuate without anything there but as long as I consistently take it, I have little if any problems"

David1981 December 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "My husband died from taking Lialda. He had been taking it for 3 months and it totally depleted his white blood cells. When he was admitted to the hospital, he was taken to ICU ISOLATION on a Fri. and died Wed. Autopsy confirmed he died from the Lialda!"

Anonymous December 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was on Pentasa for 19 years but every time I had a colonoscopy the crohn's was progressing. I finally ended in the hospital with a severe inflammation. I was told by 2 GI docs that the Pentasa was probably not working but back in 1997, except for 6mp they really had no other alternative. 2 months ago I switched to Humira. Many more side effects than Pentasa however."

Buzzberm (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Hi I'm a 47 year old male and have had crohn's now for 17 years. I've been taking one sachet of pentasa in the morning after breakfast. I realise I'm pretty lucky as I lead a normal life, enjoying a pint or to with a curry etc. My only issue from time to time is painful cramps from my back passage, this happens during the night and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour, this happens maybe once every 2 months. I have not had any surgery so I'm very greatful for pentasa as it seams to keep my Crohn's at bay. I from Scotland and get my medication prescription free."

Gordon Stirling November 2, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "When my UC symptoms are flaring up a lot it does nothing. When I'm on it after a flare up it still does nothing and I still flare up."

Beckidel October 28, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "This medicine has little to no effect on my Ulcerative Colitis. I was diagnosed with in in early Aug of this year, I was prescribed Lialda because my case wasn't "too severe." I have seen no improvement from this medicine, and I would say my symptoms/flare ups have become worse and more frequent. Apparently this medicine works for some people, not me. I haven't noticed any of the side effects from Lialda, but it definitely isn't doing what it is supposed to."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "It says not to crush or chew. Then they should make them smaller! They are way too large! Having trouble getting them to go down."

Fleischhauer October 20, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Developed UC at age 44. After being on Asacol for years with no further flare ups, due to insurance coverage was forced to change every few years. Presently been on Apriso for about 6 months. Apriso seems to do its job although I do seem to have softer stool now. DR said to expect that with some meds. Only complaint is the quantity of capsules. I need to take four 375mg capsule (kind of big overall size) once per day. Does its job, what more can I say except I wish price was better."

Fred Astaire October 15, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "I was prescribed ASACOL 7 days ago following a colonoscopy showed I had an inflamed colon. Over the week I have become increasingly tired and achy and my movements have become increasingly lose, becoming diarrhoea by day 6. I have been taken off the medicine pending a consultation in 3 days."

Richard Huntrods (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I had been on Asacol HD until my insurance Cigna stopped covering it. I had been okay, but had to watch what I ate and often has loose bowel movements. First night after taking Apriso was terrifying. I felt like all my muscles were numb in the middle of the night and I had night sweats. (I had drank some wine that evening) But when I awoke the next morn, by bowel movements seemed okay. I kept on Apriso and saw the numbing impct at night dwindle. In fact I seem to be getting more restful sleep. It has been 3 weeks so far, and I feel this is the best I have been with my UC single I was diagnosed 18 years ago. Certainly recommend trying it out!"

FloridaFit (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Very Helpful. Because it is SO expensive, I would wait until it became really bad... Thinking "oh it'll get better". But I will share a trick I do. NOT DR. APPROVED. I use it full strength for 6 days (when I see real results... Do NOT stop treatment). Then I cut a 1/4 off of the small end of each, and collect them in a sandwich bag. Then I shake them to the bottom of the bag, let the bottom of the bag sit in warm water until I can roll a length/roll (while still in the baggy). let it cool then cut into sections for more suppositories... to extend my treatment or for emergencies. I also eat the same foods most EVERY Day. Avacadoes, white rice, soft scrambled eggs, bananas w/ p-butter, squash, oysters, refriedbeans, asparagus & can spinich"

DonLD September 14, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Works fairly well on the ulcers, but the side effects are terrible. two days in my knee swelled to twice the normal size and I can't stand on it. Fever and headache constant. ache all over. eyes hurt. Going back to Colazol."

vndrcheck September 1, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After being on an obscene amount of prednisone without working, I switched GI's and he prescribed me Salofalk. When I know a flare is coming, I can take a few salofalks over the course of a few days and things usually clear up. Was a life saver!"

Millertime33 August 27, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I am overjoyed with the effects of this drug. Starting two weeks after my Delzicol treatment began I became completely symptom free of ulcerative colitis and have stayed that way for over two years."

Gen Jen August 8, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I switched from Liada because insurance. With Liada I did not flareup for 10 years two months on this medicine I flared up I do not recommend this medicine to anybody it is a zero"

Dan t July 22, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Tablets are very difficult to remove from packaging. Adddionally, they cause gas and frequency of bowel evacuation early the following day."

UC (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Age 37, diagnosed with bad UC at 12, recent years only flares up 2-3 times/year. Currently fighting first bout of the year with pentasa suppositories, taking 1-2/day. Has stopped the bleeding and going less frequently BUT awful headaches (as with Asacol/Salofalk foam enemas). Note to self/others who are sick of drugs: I have found (25 yrs in) that it IS possible to be symptom free if you properly and consistently take care of yourself. This means plenty of rest/sleep, camomile tea/water, gentle exercise, meditation (mindfulness is a cliché/buzzword but there's a lot to it), steamed veggies/rice, avoiding sugar/alcohol/dairy/caffeine (going gluten-free can help some people too) ... I intend to cure myself completely one of these days!!"

VitaminDdeficient (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Switched from Pentasa which I was throwing up or having it come out in bits in my stool (not absorbed). Salofalk is easier to swallow and has kept me in remission although how much of it is due to the drug and not just avoiding stress which triggers my symptoms I don't know. It is coated better than Pentasa and the oblong shape works better for swallowing as they are not small."

Brandywinefalls (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I was given pentasa 2mgs in sachets after having a bad flare up of colitis. After few months of taking it I started noticing a regular pattern of not being able to sleep, a bad case of restless legs syndrome (unbearable) always at night and partly causing the not sleeping, irregular heartbeats and having already asthma it got much worse. So after going on forums I realised I wasn't the only one. I halved the dose to 1 gr , the symptoms receded but I still know/feel it's not good to take long term and I will start reducing. It also makes me feel constantly tired. On a positive note it really is effective for what it what design to do, stop the bad effects of colitis... It's finding a good balance in the dosage along with a clean nutrition!"

Chocolatnoir June 3, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "over a period of time, apriso caused me wasting of muscles (motor neuron disease)"

donottakeapriso May 9, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "This drug PENTASA is the worst drug that I have ever taken, I had sever vomiting at least over 20 times in the space of 3 to4 hrs and sever diarrheoa which was even worse this occurred every 20 minutes or less sometimes but NO bloody that I was aware of.....So people be warned this drug is CRAP IT really is ..."

Gazza Gazza May 4, 2016